Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Anchor Away

In order to land a handsome TV news anchor with a penchant for dim, silly men, Will seeks advice from Jack on how not to be himself; Karen enlists Grace to help get photos of her ex Stan's affair with Lorraine Finster.

Air date: December 6,2018

This was a good one. The final scene with Jack closing the door on his face was probably the most I've laughed on the show this season. 

When Lorraine took Grace into the back, I thought that she was going to give her an outfit to wear.  I didn't think that she was going to come out in her bra and Spanx.

• Love 11

I liked this episode, but I had a bit of cognitive dissonance. I’ve been watching the original series from the beginning on Hulu, and I think seeing how much older everyone looked all of a sudden made me groan a bit when Will continued to act dumb after the first words with Matt Bomer. On the other hand, I think I would lose the power of speech if I met MB!

it just was a shock to my system to see how old everyone looked - and considering I’m in their same general age bracket, yikes!! 

I think it also made me think that MB’s character would go for a very young twink type and, no matter how handsome Will is, he’s no young thing. 

Ack, I guess I just shouldn’t watch old episodes right before watching the new version, it’s too weird.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 7

I had the same thoughts as Eliza422. It was a shock seeing how much older the guys looked next to Matt Bomer. It seems just the other day that they were the young hot guys. All these revivals make me feel old too. Sigh.

Otherwise I loved this episode. I love Karen and Lorraine's relationship. I think Minnie Driver broke character once by laughing.

• Love 4

Well, Eric Mc is 10 years older that Matt Bomer. 

I'm not too familiar with Matt Bomer but dayum that is one handsome man! He and Eric together are just too much handsome for my eyes! Eric looks very thin, though. Probably one reason he is looking like he has aged lately. 

Jack, who usually irritates the crap out me was delightful in this episode. Loved seeing Lorraine again.  All around a great ep!

• Love 13

I loved Jack in this one. Him wearing those glasses was the first time I've found him hot. I have a glasses thing, what can I say. Age differences don't bother me so I have no problem with that. I agree that with Eric and Matt there was almost too much hotness to take!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I liked this episode, but I had a bit of cognitive dissonance. I’ve been watching the original series from the beginning on Hulu, and I think seeing how much older everyone looked all of a sudden made me groan a bit when Will continued to act dumb after the first words with Matt Bomer. On the other hand, I think I would lose the power of speech if I met MB!

it just was a shock to my system to see how old everyone looked - and considering I’m in their same general age bracket, yikes!! 

Except for Minnie Driver, she looks exactly the same as she did 20 years ago, body and all. 

I'm not too familiar with Matt Bomer but dayum that is one handsome man! He and Eric together are just too much handsome for my eyes! Eric looks very thin, though. Probably one reason he is looking like he has aged lately. 

I've only seen MB in a few things so I spent the first 20 minutes trying to place him. Eric does look extremely thin, too thin. I hope he's okay.

I really liked this one, particularly the Jack and Will part. The Karen/Grace/Lorraine part was just okay for me, but Jack was on fire in this episode. He's been the standout in this season. 

• Love 9

For those who are not familiar with MB, I recommend the now sadly cancelled White Collar. It's a drama show that's also funny and charming.

Also the movie The Normal Heart. How MB didn't win the Emmy, I'll never know.

• Love 10

Maybe it was just the mood I was in or the phase of the moon or something but I laughed at pretty much everything in this episode. Lorraine as the Hasidic Jewish stripper was so wrong but I howled. And to see some prime Matt Bomer, I also recommend White Collar. I've been a fan ever since he was on "my program" aka Guiding Light as a teenager. He's aging EXTREMELY well.

However... can we do something to convince Debra Messing to stop messing (HA!) with her face? She's a beautiful woman but my stars...

• Love 9

That was a damn fun episode! Felt more fresh and less of solely a throwback. Though yikes, they probably shouldn't make "Grace had work done" jokes (the nose job comment) that she sincerely denies when... well, you know. The obvious. They should just steer clear of the topic if they're not willing to steer into it, you know?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Jack, who usually irritates the crap out me was delightful in this episode. Loved seeing Lorraine again.  All around a great ep!

I did notice how thin Eric looked especially when he was standing next to Sean. I’m sure everyone remembers how much of a standing joke it was on the old show of Jack calling Will fat...he couldn’t do that now.

1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

That was a damn fun episode! Felt more fresh and less of solely a throwback. Though yikes, they probably shouldn't make "Grace had work done" jokes (the nose job comment) that she sincerely denies when... well, you know. The obvious. They should just steer clear of the topic if they're not willing to steer into it, you know?

Of all four leads she’s the one who looks the most plastic!

• Love 2

Ack, I guess I just shouldn’t watch old episodes right before watching the new version, it’s too weird.

I have the same problem, because I watch the reruns on Cozi TV.

Aside from that I found this to be the funniest episode this season so far. (Notice the absence of Noah didn't hurt anything.) The guest stars were great and so were the main cast. Will doing Jack was hilarious. I think my favorite line was Matt Bomer saying "don't try to find a pore on my face, you won't see one" and Jack replying "You're like a dolphin!"

Anyone catch Adam Rippon's cameo as the barista, assuming you know who Adam Rippon even is?

This really did feel like a classic throwback.

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Anyone catch Adam Rippon's cameo as the barista, assuming you know who Adam Rippon even is?

I was trying to figure out where I've seen him before and didn't figure it out until I read it in an article after the episode was over.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Eliza422 said:

I did notice how thin Eric looked especially when he was standing next to Sean. I’m sure everyone remembers how much of a standing joke it was on the old show of Jack calling Will fat...he couldn’t do that now.

I honestly didn't notice any difference, Eric has always been really thin. I always took those jokes as the absurdity they were. Unfortunately being thin when you get older doesn't do a person many favors so maybe that's it. You know that old saying that after a certain age you have choose between your face and your ass. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, festivus said:

I loved Jack in this one. Him wearing those glasses was the first time I've found him hot. I have a glasses thing, what can I say.

Agreed. That look was definitely working on him :).

6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

For those who are not familiar with MB, I recommend the now sadly cancelled White Collar. It's a drama show that's also funny and charming.

Haven't seen "White Collar", but I'll co-sign the mention of 'The Normal Heart'. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I noticed Eric looking really thin, too.  Thinner than usual.  

I wish we could have more Matt Bomer.

On MB's instagram, he's posted plenty of pics of him with the cast including David Schwimmer for the last month or so. So I take it as he'll be a reoccurring character. This better not be all we got. I'm still bitter Amazon cancelled Last Tycoon. He was so dreamy in that!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, janeyjay said:

Maybe it was just the mood I was in or the phase of the moon or something but I laughed at pretty much everything in this episode. Lorraine as the Hasidic Jewish stripper was so wrong but I howled. And to see some prime Matt Bomer, I also recommend White Collar. I've been a fan ever since he was on "my program" aka Guiding Light as a teenager. He's aging EXTREMELY well.

Another Guiding Light fan here.  I remember him on there as Fletcher's son, but he was really Kyle's son. He was also in Magic Mike. 

Grace "My back is bad"

Lorraine "Your front's not so good either"

Jack "Holy Anderson Farrow Muir"

• Love 6

He's evil Matt Bomer from Chuck! (first place I remember seeing him)  I've seen Normal Heart but not White Collar. I watched Guiding Light but I'm not remembering him right now and I usually remember my soap people. Maybe it'll come back to me.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I have the same problem, because I watch the reruns on Cozi TV.

Aside from that I found this to be the funniest episode this season so far. (Notice the absence of Noah didn't hurt anything.) The guest stars were great and so were the main cast. Will doing Jack was hilarious. I think my favorite line was Matt Bomer saying "don't try to find a pore on my face, you won't see one" and Jack replying "You're like a dolphin!"

This really did feel like a classic throwback.

I thought that was Adam Rippon!!!!!   

But it was such a small part I wasn't sure.  I slso was expecting a twirl, spin, or a sau cow (sp?), to seal the deal that it was him,  but no such luck,  so I figured I was off base. 

Adam is great on talk shows, too, so I hope we see more of him.  

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 8:16 AM, festivus said:

I loved Jack in this one. Him wearing those glasses was the first time I've found him hot.

Ha.  I thought he looked good in glasses too.  In fact, it was the point where I thought he might have even had more chemistry with McCoy (Matt's character) when he was Jack than Will did when he was trying to be Jack.   I liked the fact that McCoy figured out the switch on his own instead of having Jack or Will confess.

18 hours ago, festivus said:

I watched Guiding Light but I'm not remembering him right now and I usually remember my soap people. Maybe it'll come back to me.

It was in the early 2000s. Matt took the job because work was hard to find after 9/11. Ben (Matt's character) came to town as a frat boy who engaged in a bet to take Marah's virginity.  When that failed, he got involved in a relationship with Marina. (Loved them.)  But Matt had always claimed he was only going to do 2 years and he was up for Brett Rattner's Superman.  So about six-ish months before he was going to leave, his character became a serial killing gigolo.  Funny thing was-the show was kind of a mess at that point and he was acting his but off so I was kind of rooting for him.  Anyway, in the end, his character died via self-inflicted poisoning and, according to Matt, as his dead character was being wheeled out, the producers came to him and said "if you ever want to come back....we have a way."  Been a fan ever since.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It was in the early 2000s. Matt took the job because work was hard to find after 9/11. Ben (Matt's character) came to town as a frat boy who engaged in a bet to take Marah's virginity.  When that failed, he got involved in a relationship with Marina. (Loved them.)  But Matt had always claimed he was only going to do 2 years and he was up for Brett Rattner's Superman.  So about six-ish months before he was going to leave, his character became a serial killing gigolo.  Funny thing was-the show was kind of a mess at that point and he was acting his but off so I was kind of rooting for him.  Anyway, in the end, his character died via self-inflicted poisoning and, according to Matt, as his dead character was being wheeled out, the producers came to him and said "if you ever want to come back....we have a way."  Been a fan ever since.

Oh shit! I don't remember any of that and I feel like I would ya know? lol. It must have been during one of my breaks from watching.

I think Jack is cute but I never found him hot until the glasses. Glasses make most people look better imo.

• Love 3
On 12/7/2018 at 11:13 AM, janeyjay said:

Maybe it was just the mood I was in or the phase of the moon or something but I laughed at pretty much everything in this episode.

I actually had nearly this exact same thought while watching (minus the phase of the moon bit), and was going to come here to post it. I've found the revival mostly a bit stale so far, but I really loved this episode. Also agree with the poster who said they normally find Jack irritating, but he was great here.

I'm not a big Adam Rippon fan, but I have to admit his part was funny. I didn't realize who it was until his scene was over.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 9:03 AM, bichonblitz said:

Actually, Eric McCormack is 14 years older than Matt Bomer. 

I thought the Will/McCoy plot was stupid. If the anchor likes dumb and shallow pretty boys, he's looking for a 20-year-old twink, not a 55-year-old "daddy."

I find it pretty pathetic that these people in their 40s & 50s are acting the same as when they were in their 20s and 30s.

I stopped watching "Will and Grace" long before it ended. Who's the Minnie Driver character? Why does she call Karen "Mum"?

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I stopped watching "Will and Grace" long before it ended. Who's the Minnie Driver character? Why does she call Karen "Mum"?

Minnie Driver’s character, Lorraine, had an affair with Stan. Karen married Lorraine’s father, played by John Cleese. The marriage didn’t last through the reception. So Karen was Lorraine’s stepmom.

• Love 5
On 12/9/2018 at 9:18 PM, chitowngirl said:

Minnie Driver’s character, Lorraine, had an affair with Stan. Karen married Lorraine’s father, played by John Cleese. The marriage didn’t last through the reception. So Karen was Lorraine’s stepmom.

One has to wonder how that storyline figures into the reboot.

Apparently Stan's affair with Lorraine really happened, and Karen's brief marriage to Lorraine's father happened - but we're also supposed to believe that Stan and Karen never divorced until now?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Blakeston said:

One has to wonder how that storyline figures into the reboot.

Apparently Stan's affair with Lorraine really happened, and Karen's brief marriage to Lorraine's father happened - but we're also supposed to believe that Stan and Karen never divorced until now?

Karen married Lyle when she thought Stan was dead. They’ve come close to divorce, but never have until now.

• Love 6
On 12/7/2018 at 10:33 AM, Snow Apple said:

Agreed. It was a travesty. Sorry Sherlock fans.

I like this episode. Wondering if MB is indeed recurring (which pleases me greatly) how he can come back, as the story seemed pretty done and he wasn't exactly someone you root for. But I'll take what I can get.

• Love 1