Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Christmas Wishlist

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I agree that Maggie and Gary were annoying in that scene. Letting someone with only one item go in front of is nice but expecting it is just obnoxious. That is part of the reason that I hate them together. Gary was also obnoxious when he  when he insisted on singing karaoke at the noodle place. I am getting really tired of Gary’s bad behavior being rewarded. 

I hate it when people ask if they can cut. It puts people on the spot and makes the asker seem like they think they are more important, that their lives and their wants should come first. Wait your turn dude, you ain't all that. I've had people lean out their car window while cutting me off and say "hey I'm in a hurry" - well aren't we all? What makes you so special? 

Gary thinks everyone should behave and feel a certain way and when they deviate from his ideals he acts like a hurt, spoiled child. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Gary thinks everyone should behave and feel a certain way and when they deviate from his ideals he acts like a hurt, spoiled child. 

In This is Us parlance, he's kind of a Toby. Makes BIG scenes in public, expecting (and getting, cuz this is television and not real life) accolades and laughs, and thinks bullying his girlfriend into doing what he wants is a sign of love.

• Love 12

I don’t think Jon and Ashley had an affair.  I think we’ll find out that  Ashley misinterpreted Jon’s intentions when he lead her into that apartment.  We’ll probably get an extended version of the ending scene where Jon pulls away from Ashley’s kiss and confides some other secret.  I just think the writers are playing with us.

• Love 22
1 minute ago, Luckylyn said:

I don’t think Jon and Ashley had an affair.  I think we’ll find out that  Ashley misinterpreted Jon’s intentions when he lead her into that apartment.  We’ll probably get an extended version of the ending scene where Jon pulls away from Ashley’s kiss and confides some other secret.  I just think the writers are playing with us.

Yup, me too. I never trust anything shown in previews.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:
23 minutes ago, Dani said:

I agree that Maggie and Gary were annoying in that scene. Letting someone with only one item go in front of is nice but expecting it is just obnoxious. That is part of the reason that I hate them together. Gary was also obnoxious when he  when he insisted on singing karaoke at the noodle place. I am getting really tired of Gary’s bad behavior being rewarded. 

I hate it when people ask if they can cut. It puts people on the spot and makes the asker seem like they think they are more important, that their lifes and their wants should come first. Wait your turn dude, you ain't all that. I've had people lean out their car window while cutting me off and say "hey I'm in hurry" - well aren't we all? What makes you so special? 

Even worse was playing the Cancer card.  IRL most Cancer patients/survivors wouldn't want that kind of sympathy.  Even though Gary is kind of popular on this thread, his sense of entitlement is really starting to grate.  Also, of all the adults on this show, only Rome/Regina (and oddly enough Katherine) aren't above one asshole-ish act per episode.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Even worse was playing the Cancer card.  IRL most Cancer patients/survivors wouldn't want that kind of sympathy.  Even though Gary is kind of popular on this thread, his sense of entitlement is really starting to grate.  Also, of all the adults on this show, only Rome/Regina (and oddly enough Katherine) aren't above one asshole-ish act per episode.

Yep. Gary seems to think that the crap he has dealt with entitles to treat everyone else like crap. I also really disliked is comments about the elderly man who had a checkbook. There is a maliciousness to his jokes that is bothering me. 

11 hours ago, prettygrownup said:

“I can’t believe she s gone” could refer to Ashley — who may skip town or disappear after disclosures of Jon’s secrets.

I thought it was probably the woman getting chemo with Gary who wanted to stay positive.  Now that he’s back in that room with Maggie, he finds out 🤷‍♀️

• Love 10

I am also on the "Ashley and Jon did not have an affair" boat. I think she interpreted his intentions or it was a fantasy sequence, like the earlier fight with Delilah. I also think the person who is "gone" might be Sophie. She may run away from home when all the truths are uncovered.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I knew it was coming so I was watching Jon closely and he never moves during the kiss. Ashley leans into him but he never even takes his hands out of his pocket. I would be shocked if it isn’t a fake out. 

Adding my voice to the collective ewww of Gary kissing puke mouth. You just don't do that!

I liked that they went there with Rome and the lack of libido due to the anti depression meds. It is common. Most people do try to change the meds though. Let's see if the writers explore that or drop it completely?

I am not buying the working at all times story from the other episode - Katherine (Catherine?) is a real state lawyer. As far as I know, having dealt with some recently, they don't really work at odd hours. So the whole thing might have been the writers deciding that they need to put those two together. And how can someone be served with eviction without some pre-announcement? I gathered that the notices went to the apartment so Delilah didn't know about them, but wouldn't the process be that the bank contact the survivor, or sent notices to the actual address? And why hasn't Delilah dealt with all the bureaucracy involved when one spouse dies? It is a pain, but the sooner you deal with that, the better. The bank would know about Jon's death and would start dealing with Delilah. Besides, as much as banks are basically jerks in corporation form, they do have provisions for situations like that.

Does anyone know how this show is written? Is there a writer's room? Is it one writer that develops the script and delivers it as they are contracted to do.

I ask because I know some writers and in their show the stories had a head writer but the actual script was developed in a writers' room, with input from all the others in the team - or at least most of the others. 

The lack of continuity and consistency is something that annoys me (Maggie fainting and not mentioning it again, the dates/time of Jon's death for example.

• Love 5

First off, I'm joining the "Jon and Ashley didn't have an affair" train after watching that.  As @Dani said, it was pretty clear that Ashley kissed him and he didn't respond.  If that scene were one second longer, my guess is that we would have seen him push her away.  I'd put money on it being a fake-out (which I'm fine with because I'm not here for 7 episodes of excusing Delilah's affair because Jon had an affair).

I think I'm officially in love with Rome and Regina and Regina had every right to be mad at Rome for what happens in her dreams.  Men are sneaky like that.  Also, I've been mad at my husband more than once for the crap he did in my dreams, so we have a sisterhood.

But there were a couple things I found kind of wrong with their story in this episode.  First of all, I pretty much figured they would go the sexual impotency route with Rome but, from what I understand, that is not actually the sexual dysfunction he would be likely to have with the drug that he's on (citalopram).  Instead, it would be more likely to, hmmm, how should I put this?  Let's just say Regina wouldn't have a problem with it but they wouldn't win beat the clock.  (To our doctor here, please correct me if I'm wrong on that!)  But, yeah, I get that works better in, ahem, a different kind of show.

Secondly, Rome's monologue about Regina taking care of him and how it was hindering him and he needs to take care of himself and her.  It was well-delivered and noble, but a complete contradiction to Maggie's gardener metaphor that they've been riding on for the last several episodes.  So, um, who is the gardener and who is the flower?   I'm confused now!

Why does Delilah need an army of men to do anything?  I could get on board with her bringing just Gary to pick up her tree, but even that wasn't necessary.  Those tree stands have people there who do all the hard for you.  She could have conceivably gone all by herself and not had to lift a finger.  Again, are we supposed to like Delilah?  Because everything they do seems to work against that idea!

I'm calling a miscarriage in the next two episodes...as soon as the doctor said she needed to avoid stress.  My guess is that this was the fakeout before the actual big bad thing.  And, of course, Eddie will be despondent and spill the beans about him being the father (at which point Delilah may then say, nope..it was Jon.  Does it even matter?)  And he'll start drinking again.  Sigh...

The one good think about Eddie going on tour is that there won't be any Eddie/Delilah scenes.  The show is so much better when those two aren't together.  And how interesting that the woman Eddie thinks he loves (he doesn't, he loves an idea that he thought Katherine would be and, when she wasn't, Delilah seemed to fit the mold) didn't even bother to see him off *with every other single person he knows* but his estranged wife and mother of his child was there and seemed to be the only one with concern for him.  I kind of feel like Eddie is the guy who wants someone to build a house--one person says they'll build this magnificent home and then runs off with the money and the other person doesn't say anything but builds a sturdy, comfortable home at a reasonable price...and guess which one he chooses.  I mean, Delilah says she believes in Eddie, but the only person who is ever really there is Katherine.    

Speaking of Katherine, I really hope that her response to Delilah was "Sure, I'll help you.  Here is how much I charge."  Because you know Delilah is going to expect this to be pro bono, so why not ask the woman that you basically turned into a single mother?

I do hope they aren't trying to build a love triangle between Eddie, the woman he treated like shit, and the woman who treats him like shit.  (Yes, that's harsh but that's how I feel).  Eddie may be the only person I've come across in TV that I find unshippable.  Not that I go around shipping characters, but I really feel like he needs to be on his own, at least for a while, to be the kind of character that this show needs and that the actor deserves.  I think if he's romantically involved with anyone it will stunt any potential he has for growth.

Ugh, that scene with Gary and Maggie in line was just horrible and it got worse and worse with every sentence.  These are not nice people!  I mean, yeah the couple that cut ahead of them were rude, but that really doesn't come close to excusing the little show Gary and Maggie put on.  I think this is why I don't like them together--they seem like the kind of couple who bring out the worst in each other.  Plus, Gary seems to work better with Ashley than Maggie.  Both are much more likable away from each other.

9 hours ago, VAMom said:

I thought it was probably the woman getting chemo with Gary who wanted to stay positive.  Now that he’s back in that room with Maggie, he finds out 🤷‍♀️

I hadn't thought of this, but that is definitely the kind of fake-out this show would do.  I'd put my money on this...

12 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Chemo or no chemo, the 100% appropriate response to someone telling you that they slept with someone else because they are in love with you is to barf all over them and their new car.

So, so true...and it says so much about this show that they thought this would fly...

On 12/12/2018 at 10:37 PM, LucyEth said:

The coming attractions look really good for next year.  I just can't take to the Delilah character, the actress is always whispering, sometimes I can't hear what she is saying.  Why Eddie was over at the Dixon celebration and his son is home alone with his almost ex I just don't understand.  When Katherine whispered "don't drink", I thought he won't, that would be risking losing the great Delilah.  Regina and Rome are fast becoming my favorite characters, they are just so genuine.  I liked the Maggie/Gary resolution tonight.  I think Gary saying "I can't believe she is gone" in the coming attractions is probably a fake out making us think he is talking about Maggie.  Can't wait to see what is revealed about Jon.

I actually understood Eddie not being with Theo because, at this point in their estrangement, Katherine and Eddie have pretty good boundaries about their time with him.  Now, why he was with the Dixon's...well, it sort of made sense.  I mean, everyone else was there.  But if I were in a friend group and one of the friends had an affair with the wife of another friend and then that friend committed suicide, I think I'd call a halt to all-group get-togethers for a while.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Chemo or no chemo, the 100% appropriate response to someone telling you that they slept with someone else because they are in love with you is to barf all over them and their new car

I liked that moment, but I must have blocked the kiss from my memory, which is good. At least his "excuse" was refreshingly different from "we were on a break," but boy was it stupid. 

1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

I hate it when people ask if they can cut. It puts people on the spot and makes the asker seem like they think they are more important, that their lifes and their wants should come first. Wait your turn dude, you ain't all that. I've had people lean out their car window while cutting me off and say "hey I'm in hurry" - well aren't we all? What makes you so special? 

I have never asked to cut, but I have told people to go ahead of me if they only had one or two items and I had a lot. So I think they were both pretty miserable. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

I have never asked to cut, but I have told people to go ahead of me if they only had one or two items and I had a lot. So I think they were both pretty miserable. 

Agree! And I've done the same, and I've also had people let me go ahead of them. Offering is a wonderful gesture; asking just irks me, lol.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

Adding my voice to the collective ewww of Gary kissing puke mouth. You just don't do that!

I liked that they went there with Rome and the lack of libido due to the anti depression meds. It is common. Most people do try to change the meds though. Let's see if the writers explore that or drop it completely?

I am not buying the working at all times story from the other episode - Katherine (Catherine?) is a real state lawyer. As far as I know, having dealt with some recently, they don't really work at odd hours. So the whole thing might have been the writers deciding that they need to put those two together. And how can someone be served with eviction without some pre-announcement? I gathered that the notices went to the apartment so Delilah didn't know about them, but wouldn't the process be that the bank contact the survivor, or sent notices to the actual address? And why hasn't Delilah dealt with all the bureaucracy involved when one spouse dies? It is a pain, but the sooner you deal with that, the better. The bank would know about Jon's death and would start dealing with Delilah. Besides, as much as banks are basically jerks in corporation form, they do have provisions for situations like that.

Does anyone know how this show is written? Is there a writer's room? Is it one writer that develops the script and delivers it as they are contracted to do.

I ask because I know some writers and in their show the stories had a head writer but the actual script was developed in a writers' room, with input from all the others in the team - or at least most of the others. 

The lack of continuity and consistency is something that annoys me (Maggie fainting and not mentioning it again, the dates/time of Jon's death for example.

I now realize that the answer to almost every question about this show is Drama.

Why is Maggie fainting? Why is Ashley sneaking around? Why did Ashley take the note? Why did Gary sleep with Ashley? Why is a real estate attorney in court defending someone?  How is Jon’s business operating without him? Why is Delilah asking Katherine for help? Why is Delilah to stupid to take Plan B? Why on earth is a women getting chemo running a marathon? Why do Rome and Regina not take out their trash? The list goes on and on but the only answer is because it is more dramatic. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Chemo or no chemo, the 100% appropriate response to someone telling you that they slept with someone else because they are in love with you is to barf all over them and their new car.

I would like to have this embroidered on a pillow.  Seriously, what kind of BS was that?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Pretty sure that was Natasha Leggero.

Damn! Second time this week I mistook one actress for another.

2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Even if he leased the restaurant, why would you do that if your house is about to be foreclosed? Makes no sense.

I think they suggested somewhere that he was expecting on a big profit off some deal or other that fell through. He should have waited til it was confirmed, but in typical TV style, he was over confident and spent the money before he had it in hand.

2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

It WAS a little weird that they cast an actress for that scene who does look so much like Constance Zimmer; I did a double take myself.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only person who thinks they look alike!

6 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

No, David Giuntoli is not leaving the show.  Honestly, the show couldn't survive if they lost the fans he brings.  I'm sure we'll see just as much of Eddie on tour as we do now, although he'll probably be drunk.

The only way they would write him out of the show would be temporary so that DG could have paternity leave.

David Giuntoli is what brought me to the show. If he was not one of the stars, I probably would not have started watching. However, now that I'm invested, if his character left permanently, I would most likely continue to watch.

Please please please writers, do not have Eddie relapse. Just as people feel the Ashley/Jon possible affair and Delilah pregnant storylines are typical, I think Eddie drinking now would be too predictable. If it gets another season, maybe, but not now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I feel out of it, I never heard of him before this show

I’m sure you’re not alone in that. His previous show just has a very loyal fans. 

Edited by Guest

I can't add to much to the Gary/Maggie line, but how did the actor even say it? Did he hesitate? Why didn't Maggie, say "What??" So badly written, did the writer feel this way himself?  Just when you think you've heard it all. Maybe the vomit was a reaction to it. I hope he doesn't really fall in love with her, they'd be mistress's all over.

I actually feel, although it might be out there, that Maggie stumbles near the finish line and buff Gary helps her finish, because she's a winner. ; )

I hate This is Us trying to fake people out, I hope this show doesn't do that, if Jon actually did have an affair, it's beyond cliche and bad writing. Do they think the fans are dumb enough to like that or not get the setup? I guess I just want real cliffhangers, not pretend.

I can't see Delilah pregnant in the future and I can see her miscarry and Eddie not coming home and that gives her an excuse to not continue relationship and go on to gas station guys. lol

We will see

So this show wants me to believe Jon and Delilah are these wealthy people who drive expensive cars, live in a mansion and they do not have a family attorney so Delilah has to go the her CHEATING LOVER’S WIFE for legal help? She’s not some homeless vagrant that has to use the only person she knows for help. Why show why do you do these things? The ep wasn’t too bad until this ridiculous scenario appeared. I literally wanted to scream.

I think I’ve solved the mystery of why Delilah had an affair with Edie. Apparently she only knows the six people in her social circle so she must go to them for everything. Affair, tree decorating, pizza parties, legal help, yep she’s covered. 

And I thought Gary and Maggie waiting in line being rude was just awful. Get over yourselves your not the only people on the planet. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

David Giuntoli is what brought me to the show. If he was not one of the stars, I probably would not have started watching. However, now that I'm invested, if his character left permanently, I would most likely continue to watch.

Grimm remains one of my favorite shows ever so I’m giving Giutoli a huge pass with this train wreck. 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, debraran said:

I can't see Delilah pregnant in the future and I can see her miscarry and Eddie not coming home and that gives her an excuse to not continue relationship and go on to gas station guys. lol

Well, technically Eddie and Delilah have been "over" since the suicide, even if that doesn't stop them from make out sessions in random empty apartments and hanging out in ultrasound rooms.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Well, technically Eddie and Delilah have been "over" since the suicide, even if that doesn't stop them from make out sessions in random empty apartments and hanging out in ultrasound rooms.

I also meant to add working in a medical environment, HIPPA should have had that doctor be quiet about the pregnancy. They really don't research medical things well.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I’m sure you’re not alone in that. His previous show just has a very loyal fans. 

I was apparently not a loyal Grimm fan as some things in that show forced me to turn it off, but I am a David Giuntoli fan and, at this point, I'm one of those people who would jump ship on this show if he left it.  Rome and Regina do work for me, but so far the rest is such a mess that I don't think I could stay without DG.  Now, if things pick up in the second half of the season (which they very well may!), it would be a diffferent story.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
19 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

That preview was bonkers.  They appear to be throwing in every single "its too predictable to be what they will do" into a single episode.

Maybe ABC told them that if they moved to Thursdays they had to up the crazy to fit with the Shonda Rhimes shows.

6 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I do wish we knew more about John. Buying a restaurant for your wife's friend when your own house is about to be foreclosed is just bizarre. Ashley has been acting weird since the start and I wonder how she is living since she was supposedly John's assistant. Does John's company have other employees who have taken over? What exactly is his business? I don't mind anyone really Maggie's story is the least appealing to me. 

Was it his own company? I thought he was some kind of finance guy at a bigger company, so there would be other people to take over this business and other people Ashley worked for. But it is weird we've never seen anyone else interact with Ashley in that office.

4 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I agree about Maggie and Gary being annoying in that scene. Sure, I'd love to be an ass to people who cut in line or who have 30 things when I only have one, but it's not worth making a scene because you have to stand in line for few more minutes. 

I didn't even think those people appeared to have that many things. And it looked like a really long line. If I was the people behind Gary and Maggie I'd be annoyed they got to cut and I didn't.

3 hours ago, LucyEth said:

He was on Grimm, which was kind of a cult show on Friday nights. It didn't have that many viewers on its own, so I don't think his fanbase could be that big. But A Million Little Things doesn't exactly break records with ratings either.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

Was it his own company? I thought he was some kind of finance guy at a bigger company, so there would be other people to take over this business and other people Ashley worked for. But it is weird we've never seen anyone else interact with Ashley in that office.

I've wondered this and it isn't clear.  I think we have to assume it was his own company or else others would probably be in on whatever dealings he had.  Also, it seems like Ashley is now working out of his home office, which makes me think that he had a rented office suite.

2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

He was on Grimm, which was kind of a cult show on Friday nights. It didn't have that many viewers on its own, so I don't think his fanbase could be that big. But A Million Little Things doesn't exactly break records with ratings either.

If I remember correctly, in its best seasons (2 and 3) Grimm had about 1.5-2x the viewers that AMLT has now.  AMLT's viewer numbers are about what seasons 5 and 6 of Grimm were.  Comparitively, it wasn't a "big" show, but it does seem to be bigger than this one.  Also, it skewed better into the right demographic than AMLT...and it had a timeslot that allowed for a smaller audience.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I was apparently not a loyal Grimm fan as some things in that show forced me to turn it off, but I am a David Giuntoli fan and, at this point, I'm one of those people who would jump ship on this show if he left it.  Rome and Regina do work for me, but so far the rest is such a mess that I don't think I could stay without DG.  Now, if things pick up in the second half of the season (which they very well may!), it would be a diffferent story.

Well after the body switching and everything that followed it Grimm really didnt deserve any loyalty. If DG decides to leave this show I’d quit watching it and just wait for his next role. 

4 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I've wondered this and it isn't clear.  I think we have to assume it was his own company or else others would probably be in on whatever dealings he had.  Also, it seems like Ashley is now working out of his home office, which makes me think that he had a rented office suite.

According to the second episode his company was called Dixon Properties. Seems like he should have had some plan in place for after his death. 

I'm wondering, if the $18m is his debt through his business dealings, how would she be on the hook for it? Is he really dumb enough to not separate his company from his personal assets? That's probably a stupid question.

Not sure how I feel about Rome wanting off his meds so quickly. Given how short the timeline seems to be, he's barely been on them a few weeks, right? Not enough time to know if they're truly helping (even though he told his dad he felt better) and also not enough time to see if any side effects will wear off. (But then I was also bugged by the doctor telling him right off the bat he'd be on them for life. How about some kind of happy medium? This is hardly a settled bit of science.) Or here's an idea...talk to the doctor and see if there's another med that might have fewer side effects. Lots of people try several drugs before finding one that works for them without intolerable side effects (however one defines "intolerable" for themselves). I will now stop saying "side effects."

10 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I actually think the Ashley/Jon think might be a fakeout too...I think it's POSSIBLE that she just assumed he was taking her to this apartment because he was hitting on her, and she was receptive to that, and kissed him as soon as they got inside. The kiss looked, to me, to be initiated by Ashley, and Jon's reaction, what little we saw, was sort of not completely responsive.

That's what I was thinking. It didn't look like he was kissing her back. I'm expecting him to stop her as soon as the door closes.

10 hours ago, Bean421 said:

I'd love Katherine to say it's a conflict of interest to help and sashay away. 

Is this the first time they mentioned what kind of law Katherine does? She made an off-hand comment about being a real estate lawyer just to set up Delilah going to her at the end when she finds out she's going to lose her house. If I were Katherine I'd shut the door in her face. If I were feeling charitable I might refer her to one of my colleagues.

6 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

What is with TV doctors just telling anyone that one of their patients is pregnant? I mean, unless it's patently obvious, how about protecting your patient's privacy?

Right?! I wrote a comment last night but didn't post it. It listed two of my pet peeves: TV drivers who spend more time looking at their passenger than at the road, and TV doctors who casually disregard HIPAA because some random stranger says they know the random patient the doctor just spent five minutes with.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Constance Zimmer was the woman on line at the xmas decoration place, right? So she's a local.

It wasn't her, but I have no doubt the out-of-focus camera angle and hair were intended to make us think it was her at first. (So far IMDB only has her credited for one episode, the pilot. Also, TVLine has a recap/Q&A with Nash about this episode and what's coming, and she is mentioned in the Q&A but not the recap portion. But that belongs in another thread, so people can google it if they like.)

4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I think it was too, tho I can't find confirmation of it. It WAS a little weird that they cast an actress for that scene who does look so much like Constance Zimmer; I did a double take myself.

I'm pretty sure that was the goal. Probably to remind people who've forgotten she was in the pilot for 3 seconds that there was more to come with her character.

4 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I've never heard of most of these people, except for Ron Livingston (mostly from Office Space) and James Roday (but I didn't watch Psych).

4 hours ago, VAMom said:

I didn't think of that! I like this theory.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

If I remember correctly, in its best seasons (2 and 3) Grimm had about 1.5-2x the viewers that AMLT has now.  AMLT's viewer numbers are about what seasons 5 and 6 of Grimm were.  Comparitively, it wasn't a "big" show, but it does seem to be bigger than this one.  Also, it skewed better into the right demographic than AMLT...and it had a timeslot that allowed for a smaller audience.

Yeah, but remember that what was considered good ratings 5 years ago was a lot higher than what is considered good these days. So it is hard to compare past ratings, without considering that.  But like you said, it was a different demo and timeslot.

I hope he doesn't leave the show though. Even though Eddie is the one who did the worst thing, he slept with his best friends wife, he's actually one of my favorite characters and who has the most interesting stories. Gary is just annoying and Rome just seems boring to me. And flashback Jon doesn't seem real (and clearly isn't judging by his suicide and all the money stuff). Of the women, I find Katharine most interesting as well.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't even think those people appeared to have that many things. And it looked like a really long line. If I was the people behind Gary and Maggie I'd be annoyed they got to cut and I didn't.

They got in line behind the woman who didn't appear to be holding anything.  The man then walked up with a flatbed cart filled w/items.  I would've been pissed too. It might be ok to have your husband run back for milk or chips at a grocery store, but if you're in line behind the wife, you wouldn't want the husband to come back with a cartful.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I hope he doesn't leave the show though. Even though Eddie is the one who did the worst thing, he slept with his best friends wife, he's actually one of my favorite characters and who has the most interesting stories. Gary is just annoying and Rome just seems boring to me. And flashback Jon doesn't seem real (and clearly isn't judging by his suicide and all the money stuff). Of the women, I find Katharine most interesting as well.

I definitely agree that Eddie is one of the most interesting characters.  He's the one whose arc I really can't determine.  I mean, I think I know what Rome's (and Regina's) story will be and I don't think Gary is in store for any big character change...but with Eddie, I just don't know.  And, as I've said many times, he has so much potential as a character...I just hope that Nash doesn't squander it.

I'm mostly agreeing with all the complaints voiced in this thread, but I do want to say that when Gary kissed Maggie right after she threw up, my revulsion was accompanied by a sense of recognition and a little bit impressed. When you really really feel strongly for someone, you can do things like that in spite of disgusting circumstances. I thought the moment showed how deeply he felt.

I love Katharine--she's my favorite character--but when she whispered to Eddie "Please don't drink," I immediately felt like he was going to end up relapsing just because of that pressure she was putting on him and the fact that she was kind of reducing him to his addiction in that moment instead of having faith that he could be the person he's trying to be now. I'll be interested to see if he ends up drinking and resenting her for expressing her seeming expectation that he was going to struggle out there on tour.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

They got in line behind the woman who didn't appear to be holding anything.  The man then walked up with a flatbed cart filled w/items.  I would've been pissed too. It might be ok to have your husband run back for milk or chips at a grocery store, but if you're in line behind the wife, you wouldn't want the husband to come back with a cartful.

I would be, too. I remember when I was at the zoo with my dad, four years ago, and an entire group of people cut in front of a large group waiting for the tram thing that transported people. When we're in line, if we have more than the person behind us, we always tell them to go ahead. 

I agree that the puking is the perfect reaction to being told that your sort-of boyfriend slept with someone else, because he was in love with you. Especially over their brand new car. I thought it was sweet when he realized that she was doing chemo, though. 

I loved Katharine and Theo together. I also think that she and Eddie have more chemistry than he does with Delilah. I don't buy any actual love there. His calling as Santa was a nice touch, and the way that Katharine set that up. Theo is beyond adorable. Loved, "I know you're Santa." "You think that Santa is a real estate lawyer?" I liked his reasoning that Clark Kent was a reporter. 

How long is Eddie supposed to be gone? He's missing Christmas with his son, and won't be around for his girlfriend's pregnancy? I suppose it's best, but he missed his son's birth. And now he's skipping out for the holidays. 

I finally watched, as you can tell. I haven't been well today, so I watched this and Murphy Brown, before trying to sleep. I'm glad that I did. 

• Love 2

My first reaction to Delilah falling was OH SHIT! I take no joy in people falling or hurting themselves, even when I know it's fake. But my second reaction which happened about a millisecond later was PLEASE LET THIS CAUSE A MISCARRIAGE SO WE CAN BE DONE WITH THIS PREGNANCY STORYLINE!

I've only had nine previous episodes to get to know this show, but that was enough to tell me that this fall would, in fact, NOT cause a miscarriage and would just serve as a plot device so that Sophie would learn about the pregnancy. I was disappointed when that's exactly what happened.

I love Rome and Regina, but I really hope that whenever I invite my friends over they aren't trying to fuck in my garage or somewhere else in my house. Hee, I also love that Rome is such a terrible liar with the kids. Every time he started stammering about sparkling apple cider made me laugh.

Gary gets an A+ for his light up Christmas sweater. I loved that part of his plan to make this a great Christmas for the kids was regifting crap that no one wanted.

I'm glad that Katherine wasn't forced into the Christmas decorating scenario. I could understand her going to Gary's party because I'm guessing that Jon had Ashley put that on the calendar a year ago so she was already invited and she wanted to be supportive of his anniversary.

But Katherine not being at the Dixons' made it even more annoying that Ashley was there. I know the excuse was that she was in Jon's office ostensibly working but later she was just sitting on the sofa while they were decorating the tree.

When Jon said, "I'm not the man everyone thinks I am," and then opened the door to the apartment, I was hoping it would be something totally shocking like he was running an S&M service or something.

I hope that Rome talks to his therapist about his medication instead of just quitting his meds cold turkey (ahem, TOBY on This Is Us).

19 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

What is with TV doctors just telling anyone that one of their patients is pregnant? I mean, unless it's patently obvious, how about protecting your patient's privacy?

Ha, I know, right? What kind of ridiculous logic is that, Gary? I love you so I fucked this hot girl who I've always wanted to sleep with!

In real life, HIPAA exists. On tv shows, it only exists if it serves the storyline aka causes drama.

• Love 3

Even my love for James Roday is not getting me through this drivel. Gary and annoying Maggie were obnoxious at the Christmas tree store. I get grumbling about the husband bringing a cart of stuff but they were attention seeking asses. The word juvenile is insulted to be used to describe them. Gary’s shtick is getting old and I can not abide Maggie. 

Delilah is a weak sauce of a character. Somehow she, who screwed around with one of the three other guys in her husband’s best friend group, is the victim. The three men hovering over her when she slipped on the ice was ridiculous. I get treating her gently since her husband just died, but they’ve yet to show her upset other than a moment or two. She’s not spun glass to be wrapped in tissue paper. Good grief. She’s also apparently an uninvolved damsel in distress. She had no clue what was going on in her own financial life. Take some responsibility woman even if you’re married. And the idea that she goes to Katherine to seek help is simply gross. Katherine should not have to interact with her. It screams selfish and entitled. 

I like Rome and Regina but I’m wondering if they seem better simply by comparison to the other characters. Taken separately they are a bit bland and often their conversations feel forced. Still, with this group, they seem like winners. 

The entire Christmas tree decorating scenario felt forced and unrealistic. Are these couples all so completely enmeshed in each other’s lives? It felt weirdly codependent yet detached at the same time. And I’ll echo what many of you have mentioned, do these people not have jobs or other responsibilities? They are always together. 

I enjoyed Katherine and her nteractions with her son. And I think Ashley could be an interesting character but I’m think she’s going to be used as a dramatic throw away. Other than that... blech.

I quickly quit This Is Us because I felt like it was deliberately emotionally manipulative. I think this show wants to be equally as emotionally manipulative but it’s not working, at least for me. The character I’m most enjoying currently is the one outside of the super special closed circle of six (Katherine). There’s a difference between character flaws and quirks and straight up unlikable. There are several people on this show I simply find unlikable. I’ll probably check to see what horrors Jon has wrought with the reveal next year, but unless something changes I think I’m done. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I don't meet the standards of a loyal Grimm fan either - though I was very sad to leave because I loved most of the characters, except for the one who ate the show. But DG didn't bring me to the show - none of the actors did. I liked the premise, which isn't quite living up to its promise.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My first reaction to Delilah falling was OH SHIT! I take no joy in people falling or hurting themselves, even when I know it's fake. But my second reaction which happened about a millisecond later was PLEASE LET THIS CAUSE A MISCARRIAGE SO WE CAN BE DONE WITH THIS PREGNANCY STORYLINE!

Mine was similar - first I was exasperated by the "fall down cause miscarriage" story then I was "all right! Miscarriage!" But my christmas wish was not met.

The main thing that bugged me about this episode was the way it only lightly touched on how difficult it is for the first major holiday after a death (and this one was very fresh). I've been through a few of those, and frankly, even decorating wasn't something I wanted to do, much less go out shopping and having a party. Heck I just watched the recent NCIS where a new character was gong through the same thing (unbeknownst to everyone), and she was incredibly moving as she slowly showed more anxiety as the story went on, then broke down and told one of them what was going on with her, and finally moved forward just a bit.  And it's not like NCIS is known for its emotional subtlety.

The second thing was that Eddie didn't spend his last day he was home before Christmas with his son, but chose to spend it with the gang - well, Delilah. Katherine would have to be as harsh as they originally depicted her to forbid him from seeing his son on that last day - so I doubt custody arrangements had anything to do with it.

Also, an aside. I'm not a Delilah fan, but she looked very nice in a hat (ski cap? whatever those are called). That's the first time I thought she was really pretty. I guess it framed her face better than that jagged hair cut.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Mine was similar - first I was exasperated by the "fall down cause miscarriage" story then I was "all right! Miscarriage!" But my christmas wish was not met.

Hahaha, apparently the show did not include your Christmas wishlist in mind when writing this episode! Part of me felt bad for wishing for a miscarriage but I reminded myself that it's a fictional miscarriage so it was okay to hope it would happen!

25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The main thing that bugged me about this episode was the way it only lightly touched on how difficult it is for the first major holiday after a death (and this one was very fresh). I've been through a few of those, and frankly, even decorating wasn't something I wanted to do, much less go out shopping and having a party. Heck I just watched the recent NCIS where a new character was gong through the same thing (unbeknownst to everyone), and she was incredibly moving as she slowly showed more anxiety as the story went on, then broke down and told one of them what was going on with her, and finally moved forward just a bit.  And it's not like NCIS is known for its emotional subtlety.

ITA - they barely touched on it with Sophie and Gary each reacting to their first Christmas without Jon, but it's usually a MUCH bigger deal than we were shown. The first Christmas, the first birthday, etc. - all of those milestones, holidays, and other moments are really difficult the first year after someone dies. It's even worse when the death happens anywhere near a holiday/birthday/other milestone. One of my friends had a sick parent who took a turn for the worse in November and I was hoping that he would make it until mid-January just so it wouldn't completely ruin Thanksgiving and Christmas for the rest of my friend's life (unfortunately, I know about this all too well - my dad died the day before my birthday and it's been a big bummer every year since then). I guess they didn't want an episode of everyone crying and moping, but unfortunately they ended up kind of glossing over the sadness that really permeates the first Christmas after a death.

Nitpick - I don't know why Gary and Maggie had to go back to the Christmas tree lot to buy lights. You can buy tree lights at Target, CVS, pretty much anywhere. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing Christmas lights at the tree lots my family used to go to.

• Love 6

Was the picture Gary hung up for Maggie at the end the same one he destroyed last week? Did he go out and buy the exact same one? That was weird. 

Also it bothered me that Sophie was able to tell that her mom’s phone was upstairs by using the location app on her phone. Wish mine was that detailed lol.

I also did not know who David G. was before this show but damn he certainly is nice to look at. 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nitpick - I don't know why Gary and Maggie had to go back to the Christmas tree lot to buy lights. You can buy tree lights at Target, CVS, pretty much anywhere. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing Christmas lights at the tree lots my family used to go to.

And things like lights are usually hella cheaper at those big box stores than they are at the pop-up Christmas tree stands.

2 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

Was the picture Gary hung up for Maggie at the end the same one he destroyed last week? Did he go out and buy the exact same one? That was weird. 

Also it bothered me that Sophie was able to tell that her mom’s phone was upstairs by using the location app on her phone. Wish mine was that detailed lol.

I also did not know who David G. was before this show but damn he certainly is nice to look at. 

It was the same picture and it looked like he had repaired it/reframed it.

As for the phone, iPhones have that capability built in (not sure about androids as I've never used one).  Each user has to grant permission to the other, but it is incredibly useful when I need to find my husband in Costco.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The second thing was that Eddie didn't spend his last day he was home before Christmas with his son, but chose to spend it with the gang - well, Delilah. Katherine would have to be as harsh as they originally depicted her to forbid him from seeing his son on that last day - so I doubt custody arrangements had anything to do with it.

Also, an aside. I'm not a Delilah fan, but she looked very nice in a hat (ski cap? whatever those are called). That's the first time I thought she was really pretty. I guess it framed her face better than that jagged hair cut.

I thought she looked pretty, too.

And I was going to say the same thing about the first Christmas without an immediate family member. We were leaving the house a lot more, because we couldn't stand to be at home, and didn't get a tree until two days before Christmas (a $5 one that we really shouldn't have put lights on, because it was already on its way out). Threw up a few strings of lights, didn't know what to do with ourselves on Christmas Day (the movie theatre was full, and Christmas Eve, we spent around the shops, not really buying anything). Last year wasn't great either, and this one is better, but not much. I wish we had that kind of support system actually - these close friends. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ramble said:

Even my love for James Roday is not getting me through this drivel. Gary and annoying Maggie were obnoxious at the Christmas tree store.

Agree and will add: why go back to a Christmas Tree place when you can get the same lights at a dollar store, with no lines? 

30 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

Good observation. And if she was able to do this in the house, she would have been able to find the room in the ER too.

Edited by alexvillage
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

As for the phone, iPhones have that capability built in (not sure about androids as I've never used one).  Each user has to grant permission to the other, but it is incredibly useful when I need to find my husband in Costco.

Yep my whole family has iPhones and we all use this function and can track each other, but it only gives a general location, it won’t show you which specific room in the house the phone is in. That’s why Sophie’s use of it bothered me. Or maybe I’m not using it right! Lol

Edited by srpturtle80
On 12/13/2018 at 5:36 AM, luna1122 said:

And these people! How do people of this age find ALL THIS TIME to hang out with each other, even showing up to see Eddie off on his tour, after having just spent the evening with him?? This is something 22 year olds might do ,but how do all these fortysomethings manage it? Even if I HAD the time, I don't have the energy or inclination.

Other than Gary and Katherine, none of them really have jobs, do they? They don't really have anything else better to do. I get there's the restaurant, but it doesn't seem like much is happening there. They're bored. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hahaha, apparently the show did not include your Christmas wishlist in mind when writing this episode! Part of me felt bad for wishing for a miscarriage but I reminded myself that it's a fictional miscarriage so it was okay to hope it would happen!

ITA - they barely touched on it with Sophie and Gary each reacting to their first Christmas without Jon, but it's usually a MUCH bigger deal than we were shown. The first Christmas, the first birthday, etc. - all of those milestones, holidays, and other moments are really difficult the first year after someone dies. It's even worse when the death happens anywhere near a holiday/birthday/other milestone. One of my friends had a sick parent who took a turn for the worse in November and I was hoping that he would make it until mid-January just so it wouldn't completely ruin Thanksgiving and Christmas for the rest of my friend's life (unfortunately, I know about this all too well - my dad died the day before my birthday and it's been a big bummer every year since then). I guess they didn't want an episode of everyone crying and moping, but unfortunately they ended up kind of glossing over the sadness that really permeates the first Christmas after a death.

I felt a little mean about it too - even though when I got pregnant after my first miscarriage, I slipped and fell in a similar manner and I was all kinds of freaked. Nothing happened though - the baby's pretty protected.

My father-in-law died on Christmas Eve, and that made it a bad day for us for many, many years. On the positive note, we had a reason not to travel to my parents' - so it started the tradition of them coming to our house, which was much more convenient with baby(ies) in tow.

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I thought she looked pretty, too.

And I was going to say the same thing about the first Christmas without an immediate family member. We were leaving the house a lot more, because we couldn't stand to be at home, and didn't get a tree until two days before Christmas (a $5 one that we really shouldn't have put lights on, because it was already on its way out). Threw up a few strings of lights, didn't know what to do with ourselves on Christmas Day (the movie theatre was full, and Christmas Eve, we spent around the shops, not really buying anything). Last year wasn't great either, and this one is better, but not much. I wish we had that kind of support system actually - these close friends. 

I'm so sorry Anela. It is hard. My issue with my mom was Thanksgiving - it wasn't when she died, but it was the holiday when I totally realized she was going to pass soon (before anyone else accepted what they were seeing). The next year I couldn't bear it, and I got tachycardia (well, I don't know the term, palpitations) for a few years after, right around that time. Apparently it is an anniversary thing. Hang in there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, estellasmum said:

Other than Gary and Katherine, none of them really have jobs, do they? They don't really have anything else better to do. I get there's the restaurant, but it doesn't seem like much is happening there. They're bored. 

Rome is writing, Regina is working on opening the restaurant, supposedly Delilah is also working on opening the restaurant (but we haven't seen her do anything), Maggie was working although I'm sure she's on leave, and Eddie was teaching guitar but is now a rockstar.  So, we are supposed to believe they are all employed but the only ones we've actually seen work are Katherine  and Regina.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Rome is writing, Regina is working on opening the restaurant, supposedly Delilah is also working on opening the restaurant (but we haven't seen her do anything), Maggie was working although I'm sure she's on leave, and Eddie was teaching guitar but is now a rockstar.  So, we are supposed to believe they are all employed but the only ones we've actually seen work are Katherine  and Regina.

That is one of my big problems with Delilah.  She is apparently a free-lance interior designer who hasn't worked full time in a number of years.  And, yet, her husband dies suddenly, and, even now, months later, she has no idea that there is a lien against the house she thought was paid for, there is no sign that she is worried about finances, is looking to work full time, has spoken to a lawyer about her husband's estate, which is undoubtedly complicated since he owned a business, has collected on life insurance.  When, exactly, was she going to wake up and take a look at their financial situation?  They live in a beautiful home in an expensive neighborhood and probably costs a bundle to maintain.  She's got two kids, both of whom are probably college bound.  She is pregnant with another child who is going to need food, clothing, housing and education for the next 18 years, probably longer, no matter who his father is/was.  She has plenty of time for tree decorating parties, pizza nights, road trips with a woman she just met; but doesn't seem to have any sort of plan in place for how she and her kids are going to survive without her late husband's substantial contribution.  We know Jon did a lot of planning, but, if she never inquires, how is she going to know what is happening?  Except for her children who are innocent victims of her lack of interest in supporting them, I am rooting for her to get tossed out on her butt.  With Eddie on tour, Gary's got some couch space.

A fried of mine, mid 40's, lost her husband after an all too brief cancer battle earlier this year.  She had been a stay at home mom to their 3 kids, the oldest being 14.  She hasn't worked in years, although she has an MBA which probably makes her far more employable than Delilah.  Believe me, both before and after her husband's death, she spent hours and hours and hours with financial planners and attorneys and the like, trying to figure out how she could keep their house, keep her kids activities going and how much she was going to need to earn to keep them afloat.  And, despite the fact that his death absolutely devastated her, she was hard at work doing all this stuff within days of the funeral.  She's got kids and keeping them safe is her priority.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I could see maintaining traditions for the kids but it should have been way more bittersweet with tears. There should have been a sense that everyone was powering through the grief and it just wasn’t there. Those moments with Gary and Sophie remembering Jon were well done but it is ridiculous that they were the only ones who seem to be grieving at all. 

I am beginning to wonder why Jon and Delilah even have a second child since he never interacts with his family.  Are we really supposed to believe that a 12 year old who just lost his father is completely fine at Christmas. Also, it is starting to rub me the wrong way that Danny’s only real storyline seems to be that he is gay. Ten episodes in and all we know about him is that he has a crush on a boy and that he is close to Gary. 

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, Dani said:

I am beginning to wonder why Jon and Delilah even have a second child since he never interacts with his family.  Are we really supposed to believe that a 12 year old who just lost his father is completely fine at Christmas. It is starting to rub me the wrong way that Danny’s only real storyline seems to be that he is gay. Ten episodes in and all we know about him is that he has a crush on a boy and that he is close to Gary. 

Danny really frustrates me because he just seems so unlike any other 12-year old I've ever met in my entire life.  At first, I thought it was just a bad child actor, but I actually think that the actor is quite good but that the role is written so horrendously, and the direction is so bad, that he comes off as sort of spooky-weird.  

But, yeah, he is surprisingly put-together for a 12-year-old who tragically and unexpectedly lost his father 2 months earlier.  I know that everyone grieves differently, but this is a kid and a loss like this is scarring.  Yet, there is Danny--crushing on boys and fishing with mistletoe...

• Love 2

We don’t know if Delilah saw any sort of financial planner or lawyer. As far as saying Jon did all kinds of planning for their future, I disagree. He had a secret life with a secret apartment and a bunch of overdue bills that he hid from his wife. I’m sure they will address the financial side at some point but I haven’t seen anything to suggest Delilah had somehow ruined Jon’s plans for his family. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

On 12/13/2018 at 12:50 PM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Right?! I wrote a comment last night but didn't post it. It listed two of my pet peeves: TV drivers who spend more time looking at their passenger than at the road, and TV doctors who casually disregard HIPAA because some random stranger says they know the random patient the doctor just spent five minutes with.

The whole "driver looking at passenger" thing on TV drives me absolutely bonkers.  Damn near every show does it, by all rights there should be hundreds of auto fatalities on the tube.  I'm a great driver with almost 40 years experience behind the wheel and its all I can do to drive and hold a conversation at the same time.

6 hours ago, estellasmum said:
  On 12/13/2018 at 8:36 AM, luna1122 said:

And these people! How do people of this age find ALL THIS TIME to hang out with each other, even showing up to see Eddie off on his tour, after having just spent the evening with him?? This is something 22 year olds might do ,but how do all these forty-somethings manage it? Even if I HAD the time, I don't have the energy or inclination.

Yeah, I don't get it either.  When you're 20-odd years out of college life, jobs, spouses, and kids take over.  Time with your circle of friends has to be planned and coordinated.  Seems like these folks get together every. other. damn. day.  based on the condensed timeline.  Totally unrealistic. 

6 hours ago, estellasmum said:

And the character with the least amount of airtime (Katherine) we see at work the most, and even she has time to hang with this crew.  Last week this show seemed to be coming around, now its back to the same old crap.  

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My father-in-law died on Christmas Eve, and that made it a bad day for us for many, many years.

My mom died exactly one week before Thanksgiving 37 years ago.  I haven't really been able to celebrate the holiday since, don't even try actually.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

My mom died exactly one week before Thanksgiving 37 years ago.  I haven't really been able to celebrate the holiday since, don't even try actually.

There's no time limit on grief, is there? We all cope so differently.

• Love 3