Type keyword(s) to search

Guilty Pleasures: Songs You're Ashamed Of Having On Your MP3 Player

• Start Topic

Good god, that video's creepy (Into the Night).   But I see no guilt in liking that song.  (Then again, I just purchased the Josie & the Pussycats soundtrack, so you may want to consider the source.)

(edited)

Thank you Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III back in the day for getting that song stuck in my head (forever) :P.

There was a III?

Does this count as a song? It's stuck in my head...

I guess it does. I just remember the "pokemon, mon, mon" part being used. :D

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 3

Hey, that song isn't that bad :P. Heard FAR worse.

True, true. I hadn't heard it in so long, it just made me crack up. Didn't they use "Tarzan Boy" for mouthwash commercials a while back?

Just remembered my strange obsession with "Lady In Red" by Chris DeBurgh.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 2

This one is really hard to admit, but..........

"Hot Child in The City" by Nick Gilder

Don't feel bad.  I actually bought the album.  Which I listened to about 3 times. 

My guilty pleasures:

"Saturday Night," by the Bay City Rollers

"Little Willy" and "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

"Jennifer Tomkins" by Street People

• Love 2

I find myself rather disturbed that I apparently have the Statutory Rape Playlist on my iPod -- not only do I have Young Girl and Into the Night, I have Billy Idol's Cradle of Love.

Speaking of songs I can't help but love despite their lyrics: Charlie Rich, Behind Closed Doors.  It's the virgin/whore complex set to music, but between the piano and his voice, I still find myself sucked in.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls...I love this song without shame but I know it's a guilty pleasure for a lot of men lol. It's catchy, it's fun, and the vocals...my God, the VOCALS! I rewind the part from 2:15-2:52 repeatedly because Martha Wash took it to church!

• Love 5

It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls...I love this song without shame but I know it's a guilty pleasure for a lot of men lol. It's catchy, it's fun, and the vocals...my God, the VOCALS! I rewind the part from 2:15-2:52 repeatedly because Martha Wash took it to church!

I love this song!  It's the song I always request at parties and the DJ will usually give me the stink-eye...either because he hates it or he doesn't have it...or both. 

• Love 5

Or Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Great White (which may not be about under aged girls, but some lyrics make me wonder and, I feel truly guilty about having it on my ipod because it really is kind of squicky).

You can always balance it by adding Does Your Mother Know by ABBA.  I actually like some of the songs you've all listed, but I always appreciated this one for not going there. 

Listening to the Classic AT40 channel on iHeart has me thisclose to downloading Leif Garrett's "I Was Made For Dancin'".  I've never been shy about my love of disco, but this one seems one step beyond for some reason. :)

Edited by lambertman
  • Love 2

I'm Free by Kenny Loggins and The Girl Gets Around by Sammy Hagar.  They're not even the good songs from the Footloose soundtrack, but the B-sides no one cares about.  For shame.

I like I'm Free too. Heard it on Cold Case and got it on my Ipod.

I'm truly ashamed to admit I have "All About You" by Hillary Duff on rotation. I NEVER thought I'd be thumping a Hillary Duff song, but I can't help it...this song makes me smile. Though I've never been a fan of her work, I've always found her likable. I like that she kept her image age-appropriate and didn't slut-bomb us the second she got the beginning stages of a B-cup. And I know this song will remind a lot of people of Taylor Swift (even though Hillary was around before her), accidentally on purpose, but I think it's telling how image will affect a song. The song does sound like a Taylor Swift cut (I even thought it was her when I first heard it), but if it were Taylor it would sound clingy and desperate. Hillary sounds sweet and kinda sassy (some of the lyrics are a little PG-13, but it works...she's of legal drinking age and has a kid, right?). It's a nice little comeback song, and I can only hope that she manages to take some of the limelight off Taylor because after that Roxie Shart mess of a VMA performance, Taylor's star needs to diminish slightly because ol girl cannot deliver live.

Edited by 27bored

Mr. Jumbo loves all of these horrible cheesy 70's songs- the cheesier, the better. I find them cringe-worthy.

And because I worked in a dentist's office for many years, I heard most of these many times!

I have music that I LOVE but wouldn't play around other people. 80's alternative:

Heaven 17- Penthouse & Pavement, Let Me Go, We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thang, Play to Win.

English Beat- Mirror in the Bathroom

Ministry- Work for Love, I Wanted To Tell Her,

Here We Go, Everyday is Halloween

• Love 1

English Beat- Mirror in the Bathroom

Any English Beat song is not a guilty pleasure. One of the essential bands in Ska's second wave.

Ministry- Work for Love, I Wanted To Tell Her,

I know Jourgenson likes to deny its existence, but the whole album With Sympathy is killer.

• Love 2

Cruel to Be Kind by Nick Lowe

ShannonL - I strongly dissent on this.

Guilty Pleasures, eh?

OK - some of mine have already been mentioned, but I haven't seen listed these gems:

Tonight I'm Yours - Rod Stewart*

Sugar Sugar - The Archies

Wham! Rap - Wham!**

* Complete with the chorus of "Tonight I'm yours, do anything that you want with me (Don't hurt me! Don't hurt me!).  A disco beat with a heaping side of cheese?  Oh yes!

** I had to come out to my friends about Wham! way back in the day (and endure mocking that persists to this day), but haven't come out to my family.  Not even my ex knew and we were married 10 years.  I have the cd stashed away and never burned it on to my MP3 for fear of discovery.  I ashamedly admit I know (to this day) all the words to Wham! Rap.

• Love 1

** I had to come out to my friends about Wham! way back in the day (and endure mocking that persists to this day), but haven't come out to my family.  Not even my ex knew and we were married 10 years.  I have the cd stashed away and never burned it on to my MP3 for fear of discovery.  I ashamedly admit I know (to this day) all the words to Wham! Rap.

Everybody should share in the awesomeness that is George Michael's flow:

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 2

How did I miss this when I was a kid?  Such a wonderful guilty pleasure!  I was dancing in may chair by the end of it :)  However, I half expected to hear:

"I said, a hip hop the hippie the hippie
To the hip hip hop, a you don't stop
The rock it to the bang, bang boogie
Say up jumped the boogie

To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat"

somewhere in there. 

• Love 1

As a child of the '90's, I lived for alt rock.  Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains in the early 90's to The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls & Blink 182 toward the end of the decade.  It pains me to admit that The Backstreet Boys were my guilty boy band pleasure.  I have about 8 of their songs on my ipod.  Sad but true. 

• Love 1

I get through the Nicki Minaj part by trying to sing it.  The attempts to get it right and not stumble make my mind work hard enough that while I'm hearing the words, I'm not paying close attention to her voice, just mine.

I have a guilty pleasure artist:  Taylor Swift.  I don't pay close attention to celebrity news, but I gather there's some stuff with her and boyfriends and writing songs about them.  I still find her songs catchy and fun (although, I'll admit, she's not great live--at least not when I've seen her on various programs).