Type keyword(s) to search

Guilty Pleasures: Songs You're Ashamed Of Having On Your MP3 Player

• Start Topic

Skid Row, Youth Gone Wild

But... but... Skid Row was kickass! I'd be more ashamed to admit this: "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison.

"Electric Youth" by Debbie Gibson is so cheesy I cringe now, but I loved it so hard as a kid.

• Love 2

Skid Row, Youth Gone Wild

But... but... Skid Row was kickass! I'd be more ashamed to admit this: "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison.

Neither one of those bands are anything to be ashamed of!  I have "Something to Believe In", "Nothin' But a Good Time" and "Fallen Angel" by Poison and "18 and Life" by Skid Row (I don't have "Youth Gone Wild" but when it comes on the radio, I turn it up and can still sing along).

However, I am ashamed to admit to "Girl Money" and "Cold Blood" by Kix and "Edge of a Broken Heart" by Vixen.

Neither one of those bands are anything to be ashamed of!  I have "Something to Believe In", "Nothin' But a Good Time" and "Fallen Angel" by Poison and "18 and Life" by Skid Row (I don't have "Youth Gone Wild" but when it comes on the radio, I turn it up and can still sing along).

However, I am ashamed to admit to "Girl Money" and "Cold Blood" by Kix and "Edge of a Broken Heart" by Vixen.

I'm big into '80s hairmetal. I don't even feel guilty about Winger (yeah, I said it). The only band I truly feel guilt over is Poison. I love Kix --LOVE. "Edge of a Broken Heart," yeah, I feel your shame on that one. 

David Soul songs:

Mostly 'Tomorrow Child', but I also love his demo song 'This Train'.

I have everything from Rachmoninov to Pink Floyd, Frank Sinatra to Run DMC.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have an entire Bieber album, a Careless Whisper remake by Seether, Father Figure by George Micheal, Big and Chunky from some animated movie that the kiddo watched and I couldn't stop singing (!!!!), and the kicker- One More Time by 7Lions which was the song the WWE used to pay tribute to The Ultimate Warrior. And I may or may not cry when I listen to it.

For the record, I am far TOO old by society standards to be a Bieber fan, and far TOO young to know who George Micheal is lol. But most of the standards set forth by society are stupid.

Edited by 00redsvt
  • Love 2

I'm a big believer in the idea that there is no shame in liking something that harms nobody (said the 31-year-old woman, looking up from the Princess Celestia toy she was busily crocheting), and thus I don't have any songs or shows or hobbies that I really consider "guilty pleasures."

I wholeheartedly agree with this (says the grown woman as she lovingly looks at the newest doll in her doll collection), but I will admit to the fact that before I let Larger Than Life by the Backstreet Boys play out loud, I look around to see who might be hearing it besides me. 

(edited)

Lord, this is like confession...

All of *Nsync - All albums, all soundtrack songs, all of Justin AND JCs solo stuff ('cause me and 5 other people bought that album...it was actually pretty good).  Yeah, I was that guy...except I was in college when they were a thing.

All of NKOTB - I think seeing Jordan Knight shirtless on the Magic Summer tour in '89 at 7 was when I figured out I was a girl who liked boys and I wanted them to look like that.  Hee.  I realize now, this love of boybands germinated in 1989 with NKOTB and was dormant until I saw JC Chasez and the boys.  I am ashamed.

Def Leppard (various songs) - I...I don't know why, but I love their stuff.  I'm way out of their normal demo,  Saw them a couple of years ago:  Joe  can still sing and Phil is still fine as hell.  

Motley Crue (various songs) - See above with Def Leppard.  Nikki Sixx does it for me.  Read The Dirt and The Heroin Diaries.  Drugs are a hell of a thing.

All 90s R&B and New Jack Swing -  I pretty much have ENTIRE playlists with nothing but this.  SWV, Toni Toni Tone, Ralph Tresvant (b/c I LOVED New Edition), Shai, Xscape, Jodeci, Soul For Real, Mary J, Avante, Donnell Jones.  I own all of it.  

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 1

Def Leppard (various songs) - I...I don't know why, but I love their stuff.  I'm way out of their normal demo,  Saw them a couple of years ago:  Joe  can still sing and Phil is still fine as hell. 

Motley Crue (various songs) - See above with Def Leppard.

I will never consider these bands Guilty Pleasures  :)

• Love 2

"Magic" by Olivia Newton-John gets a lot of play on my iPod.  What can I say... it's a nice summer tune.

I also have an entire playlist devoted to smooth jazz.  Doesn't get much guiltier than that.

• Love 2

^^^ "Physcial" is my Olivia Newton-John GP.

Def Leppard (various songs) - I...I don't know why, but I love their stuff.  I'm way out of their normal demo,  Saw them a couple of years ago:  Joe  can still sing and Phil is still fine as hell.  

I don't agree with Def Leppard in terms of feeling guilty, but I just wanted to cosign Phil being fine as hell. 

I have a lot Backstreet Boys as well. I was part of that 90s generation, but I never loved them back then. They were OK, but now the songs are kinda comforting and fun. I got a groupon to the NKOTBSB concert a couple years back, and it was one of the funnest concerts I'd ever been to. I've only heard the best things about people meeting them and how good they are to their fans.

I'll have to look through my iTunes, but there is no shame. Same with books. Life is too short for self-judgment hehe.

• Love 1

Bertie Higgins - Key Largo

Dolly Parton/Kenny Rogers - Islands in the stream

Olivia Newton John - Magic, Physical, Hopelessly..., You're the one..., I Honestly..., Have you ever...

Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight

Billy Vera & The Beaters - At this moment

Abba - Dancing Queen

Elton John & Kiki Dee - Don't go breaking my heart

Andy Gibb - I just want to be your everything, (Our Love) Don't throw it all away

I'm sure I have more in my iTunes, these are what I have in my phone.

• Love 1
(edited)

Found a few more:

Carried Away - Olivia Newton-John

The Best of Me - Olivia Newton John & David Foster

My Maria - B W Stephenson

Against The Wind - Bob Seeger

Turn it Loose - The Judds

And last but not least, whenever I'm in dire need of a giggle, there's THIS:

Edited by Snowprince
(edited)

More from me:

I have All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Cary and will listen to it any time of the year.

Cruel to Be Kind by Nick Lowe

That's Rock and Roll by Shaun Cassidy

The Your So Vain remake by Faster Pussycat

I have many Glee songs, including Don't Rain on My Parade and Sexy and I Know It.  My favorite (and honestly, I'm not ashamed because it's from Glee--I really, really like it) is the You and I mash up with the songs from Lady Gaga and Kenny Loggins.

I'm also about ready to go through all of these posts and pick out a number of songs to buy off of Itunes.

Edited by Shannon L.

I have All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Cary and will listen to it any time of the year.

This and "Last Christmas" by Wham! are legitimately the only X-mas songs that don't give me the shits.

Abba - Dancing Queen

I love that song!

IPad, I have abt 5 of those on mine as well.

I don't know if I'm exactly embarrass, but I don't advertise that I have 'Billy, Don't Be A Hero.' It's kind of corny now, but it was a song my neighbor friend's older sister played alot when I was growing up.

• Love 2

Oh, shit! That one, too.

"Merry Christmas Darling", "The Christmas Waltz", and the "chestnuts roasting over an open fire" are my favorites. But I love almost all the Christmas songs except for the godawful Celine Dion's cover of "War is over".

This and "Last Christmas" by Wham! are legitimately the only X-mas songs that don't give me the shits.

Ha - Last Christmas is playing on my shuffle mix as I read this.  Before that was Shaggy's It Wasn't Me, and if I didn't include that on my original list of "songs I should be ashamed to have, but am not," it was an oversight.

• Love 1

Well this was a fun thread to read. Nice to see some other folks who fondly remember 1970s music. I'll contribute a few:

Several Partridge Family songs

"Shannon" by Henry Gross (you know, the song about the dead dog?)

"Convoy" by C.W. McCall (lots of novelty songs back in the '70s)

"Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen" by Baz Luhrmann

…and count me as another who has "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris. Brilliant song. 

"Wildfire" is a classic, particularly the long version! 

Other guilty classics:

"Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car" by Billy Ocean

"Oh Babe, What Would You Say?" by Hurricane Smith

"I'm Your Man" by Wham

And "Mmm Bop". Yeah.

I cannot believe someone else has Hurricane Smith in their collection!  That is just the best song ever, no?   

Also on my iPod --

The Monkees - 

The Partridge Family 

Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Cherchez La Femme

Mike Nesmith - Different Drum (which he wrote; very different from The Stone Poneys version)

Ace Frehley - New York Groove (which I did not realize was cheesy/obnoxious, but several passengers in my car have informed me that it is)

The Bee Gees - pre-disco: Run to Me, How do you mend a broken heart, I started a joke

Hanson - No MMMBop, but do have Thinkin' About Something (which I unapologetically love, by the way)

Bobby Sherman - Julie, Do Ya Love Me and Hey Little Woman (if that is not the most cringeworthy, sexist song I don't know what is)

James Darren doing standards

Sweet - Fox on the Run 

I have to go get Waiting for the Stars to Fall and some Shaun Cassidy to round out everything.  Thanks for the hints and the memories, people.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

I may or may not have a few Cheetah Girls' songs........

I cannot fully state with 100% accuracy that you might find Burnin' Up by the Jonas Brothers

And every once in a while, I might shake a leg to Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA

Edited by Starfruit
  • Love 1

And every once in a while, I might shake a leg to Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA

I kind of hate myself for it, but I love that song.  And I do, indeed, nod my head and move my hips like yeah.

• Love 2

Lately I've been hating myself for liking Ariana Grande's "Problem" and One Direction's "Story of My Life." I feel twisted and evil.

Edited by kariyaki

I don't know if I'm exactly embarrass, but I don't advertise that I have 'Billy, Don't Be A Hero.' It's kind of corny now, but it was a song my neighbor friend's older sister played alot when I was growing up.

I need to put that on my iPod--I *love* that song!

As for songs I *do* have:  Tom Lehrer's "Silent E" and "L-Y"(from the original Electric Company), Grand Funk's "Bad Time" and "The Loco-Motion," and several commercial jingles, including "Sometimes you feel like a nut" and the Oscar Mayer bologna song. Oh, and most of Chicago's early stuff(before they went sappy and became the Peter Cetera show).

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

For some reason, when I think of Billy, Don't Be a Hero, it goes hand in hand with Run, Joey, Run.  I don't know if they came out around the same time, or just both have the name-comma thing going on -- but either way, they're both awesomely awful.  Love them!

• Love 2

Lately I've been hating myself for liking Ariana Grande's "Problem" and One Direction's "Story of My Life." I feel twisted and evil.

I disdain One Direction, but there's something about "Story of My Life" that I appreciate.

<small voice>I also like "Wrecking Ball" if you ignore the video.</small voice>

• Love 2

"Pretend to Be Nice" by Josie and the Pussycats.

That is the best CD ever!!  

No seriously, is the song available somewhere (don't see it on iTunes)  ?   I love it (and the movie).  

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

Ah, Miley Cyrus....I really like The Climb and was impressed with her performance that she did for an event when Obama was elected.  She looked and sounded great.

One Direction?  What Makes You Beautiful is a catchy song.

• Love 1

Slightly off topic, but the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack hit the top of the charts this week.  Some of the side 1 songs are, imo, guilty pleasures:

1. Hooked On a Feeling (Blue Swede)
2. Go All the Way (Raspberries)
3. Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum)
4. Moonage Daydream (David Bowie)
5. Fooled Around and Fell in Love (Elvin Bishop)
6. I'm Not in Love (10cc)
7. I Want You Back (Jackson 5)
8. Come and Get Your Love (Redbone)
9. Cherry Bomb (The Runaways)
10. Escape (The Piña Colada Song) (Rupert Holmes)
11. O-O-H Child (The Five Stairsteps)
12. Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell)

• Love 2