Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

You may wish to read the entire article...

‘Arrow’ Star David Ramsey Breaks Down His Directorial Debut
By DANIELLE TURCHIANO    January 28, 2019
https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/arrow-star-david-ramsey-directorial-debut-interview-past-sins-1203118294/

Ramsey relied on “Arrow” producer and director Glen Winter and well as stunt coordinator, supervising producer and director James Bamford as mentors and says he learned a lot from their visual style. Both of those men, he notes, like to “keep the camera moving,” which Ramsey realized he, too, preferred for a show that involves so much action.
“Episodic television belongs to the producer. We have to kind of get that out of the way. This is a show that has a tone, that has a visual style, that is unique to itself [and] that style comes from a number of talented people and the producers really helm that. So as a director, you come in and you buy into that — you buy into the style — and you give them the show that they’ve been shooting,” he says.

But, what Ramsey wanted to do to put his own signature stamp on the episode he helmed, entitled “Past Sins,” was “really tie into the characters, really tie into the story [and tell] this story very succinctly and very crisply.”
To give each piece of the story [emotional arcs for Laurel, Oliver and Curtis] the appropriate weight, he says he worked “hand-in-hand” with the episode’s writer, Onalee Hunter Hughes, who was on set every day. He also worked extremely closely with Bamford and the show’s camera and lighting teams to develop the right looks for practical stunts such as the Ghost Initiative’s escape and Curtis and Diaz’s showdown in the parking lot.

Ramsey shares that the team had about nine days of prep time for the episode, and by the second day, he was working with stunt team on the look he wanted for the fight choreography. They put together a presentation video for him to review, made some tweaks, and by the time they stepped on set to film, he was able to focus on the “big, dramatic, swooping shots that tell a story of brutal action,” which is what he thinks separates “Arrow” from the other superhero shows right now.
Having seven years of history with his fellow actors helped, as well. When he gave them notes, he shares, they took them easily; they spoke the same shorthand. And they had been on the ride together the whole time; he wasn’t just someone coming in for one episode, not quite sure how moments connect to what came before or would come after. This proved integral in mapping out Oliver’s emotional arc in the episode, Ramsey points out.

Oliver had been learning new truths about his father — such as the fact that he had a secret family — and he exhibited a “heartbroken-ness” when unraveling what his father did, Ramsey says. In this episode, he learned his father had murdered a man who worked for him and “there had to be a certain amount of exhaustion with this and a certain amount of really being heartbroken that continued what we saw in Episode 10.”

“There’s a certain amount of resignation that Stephen portrays through it,” Ramsey says, noting the scene between Oliver and Sam (Luke Camilleri), the murdered man’s son. “And we had a nice little conversation about, ‘At what point do you get to when someone’s holding a gun on you where you say, “If you have to shoot, it’s OK”?’ Where is a man like Oliver Queen, emotionally, to say that and mean it? He doesn’t try to disarm. He says, ‘This is your choice.'”

But what Ramsey says he is most proud of from “Past Sins” were the moments where the character work and the action truly collided, specifically Curtis and Diaz’ encounter.

“I think action for action’s sake is just gratuitous and people get bored with it, we’ve seen it a million times. But I think that if the action can tell the story and have dramatic beats within the action that push the story along, I think that’s compelling — that’s what you watch [because] you’re watching characterization, and that’s the whole point,” he says.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow ‘Past Sins’: We Haven’t Seen This Many Daddy Issues Since Lost
BY CRAIG WACK · JANUARY 29, 2019
http://oohlo.com/2019/01/29/arrow-past-sins-we-havent-seen-this-many-daddy-issues-since-lost/

The episode title says it all. Our heroes and villains have dark secrets that motivate them and make them all sexy and brooding. It just so happens, those people have to process those complex issues all on the same  day. Here’s everything you need to know about the latest episode of Arrow:
Sex and the Olicity: Ollie and Felicity share a few scenes but mostly, Felicity spends the episode trying to redeem Siren, and figure out who is stalking her.
What about the action: Confronting your daddy issues is not that thrilling, so it falls onto Curtis and Diaz to carry the lion’s share of the action. Diaz tries to make a break for it when he and the other squad members are getting their brain-bombs calibrated. He overpowers Curtis, eventually killing him before getting to a car, and reaching out to tell Dante ARGUS is gunning for him. But, surprise! It’s literally all in Diaz’s head. Instead of sending the squad into the field, Curtis created a VR setup and led Diaz down a path to reveal how to capture Dante. Oliver doesn’t completely go without heroics, saving a kidnap victim and confronting Sam Hackett, son of the bodyguard who was shot during a hostage situation.
Last impressions: This episode balanced the action and the pathos a little bit better than last week. It feels like we’ve reached that point in the season where Arrow takes a few episodes to spin its wheels a little bit. The Not Laurel redemption arc continues to be aggravating. And, most of the characters don’t have enough to do. Felicity messing with her new security system is a nice callback to the fact that anyone could get into the old Arrowlair, but do we need to visit this every week, or can we just let the thing gain sentience, and reunite the team to rescue Felicity? There’s hope now that Oliver and Emiko are in the same orbit, the plot can start to move forward again.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow season 7, episode 11 review: Past Sins
by Scott Brown January 29, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/01/29/arrow-season-7-episode-11-review/

Oliver has always carried the weight of the world on his shoulders so now with the knowledge of Emiko being brought into his life, that burden has been the greatest in a long time. The opening scene of the episode highlights this extremely well with the cutting back and forth between an interview that Oliver is having while he is talking with Emiko. It demonstrates the lie that he often leads in order to preserve those around him.

Now with an event from the pilot coming back around to haunt him is simply appropriate because Oliver’s life needs to be miserable. Oliver obviously feels guilty for Emiko not being a part of his life, despite not knowing about her, so forcing him to confront another person whose life has been directly affected by his father’s actions is perfect. It ties into the overall theme that is now being presented in the back half of the season.
Just like Oliver’s past coming back to haunt him, Laurel’s is too. Somehow another person from Earth-2 has arrived in Star City, just in time to disrupt her new life as the district attorney. This story is definitely not as compelling as Oliver’s though. Oliver has been faced to confront his own mistakes before, so confronting the mistakes that he had virtually no hand in is compelling, which isn’t the same with Laurel here.

Earth-2 Laurel was first introduced as a villain, so the fact that her past is coming back to haunt her isn’t surprising in the slightest. Yes, it’s supposed to be parallel to Oliver’s story, but just because Laurel has turned over a new leaf it doesn’t make her past returning as compelling. That’s not to say that Laurel’s storyline is bad or anything, it’s just not as compelling as its attempting to be.

Edited by tv echo

I'm kinda speechless about the "Laurel and Felicity" comments...

ARROW 7.11 Review “Past Sins”
By AMELIA EMBERWING Jan. 29, 2019
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/01/29/arrow-7.11-review-past-sins

It would be a lot easier to be on Curtis’ side if the primary villain wasn’t Ricardo Diaz, but - all the same - he is right (plus, if they blow up Cupid I’ll be deeply annoyed). Curtis knows that he won’t convince Dig, but he also knows that he has sensitive information that gives him a certain amount of leverage. He’ll keep playing the Argus game, but he’ll be playing it by his own rules going forward.

Finally, we have Laurel and Felicity. The show has taken its time to get the viewers to warm up to Earth 2 Laurel. She’s still all of the things Black Siren once was, but in a more palatable kind of way. Hell, even Oliver’s warming up to her! It’s been a process for all involved, and though some may find themselves surprised that they’ve started to care for the ex-murderer, no one is more shocked than Laurel.

Poor girl doesn’t know what to do when she finds herself on a friend date with Felicity. When she’d been invited out, she assumed that it was because the hacker needed something. Instead, Star City’s resident ray of sunshine just wanted to have a drink with her new bud. That friend-date quickly falls apart when Laurel believes she’s being followed by an old enemy from Earth 2. Though that ends up not being the case, “Past Sins” gives us the tiniest Birds of Prey moment, and a ton of other great content between Felicity and Laurel.

All the dudes who read these reviews are undoubtedly sick of me saying this, but it can’t be stressed enough how evident it is that a woman is now in charge of this show. The same great foundation is there with the stellar action and ample drama, but we’re finally seeing the female relationships on Arrow flourish. And it’s been a long time coming. In finding a friend, Laurel showed her first true signs of vulnerability. Felicity Smoak is an expert at taking humans who blame themselves for things they shouldn’t and telling them they’re big dumb, dummies. So, who better to stand with Laurel as she works through blaming herself for her father’s death?

Edited by tv echo

But what Ramsey says he is most proud of from “Past Sins” were the moments where the character work and the action truly collided, specifically Curtis and Diaz’ encounter.

“I think action for action’s sake is just gratuitous and people get bored with it, we’ve seen it a million times. But I think that if the action can tell the story and have dramatic beats within the action that push the story along, I think that’s compelling — that’s what you watch [because] you’re watching characterization, and that’s the whole point,” he says.

DR is not wrong with his sentiments and I love that he understands how dull action for the sake of action is but I what I don't think he understands is how little I care about Diaz OR Curtis so there is no payoff for either no matter what they are doing.  I don't actually hate Curtis most of the time. His attitude and commnts bugged the hell out of me last season and this season he just feels unneeded and nothing they've done has changed my mind abou that.  I want to like Curtis.  Too bad instead of isolating him in his new dream job at ARGUS they didn't let him prove to Felicity that he was a true friend.  But that ship has sailed.  

• Love 2

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 7, Episode 11 - Past Sins
Starman   January 29, 2019
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2019/01/arrow-episode-guide-season-7-episode-11.html

While Black Siren may not be an alcoholic, her drinking in public when the woman she's impersonating was may not be a great idea. Particularly given that Laurel was fired from the DA's office once for drunk driving and trying to get the police to go easy on her because of her position/father.
Black Siren being the most popular DA in the past decade sounds impressive until you remember that every DA in the show's history, save one, was a criminal or incompetent.
It doesn't make a lick of sense that the same people who rated "Laurel" as the best DA of the past decade are largely against Oliver Queen working as a Police Deputy. (Of course it doesn't make a lick of sense that Black Siren could become the DA in the current anti-vigilante city government either...)
David Ramsey has a strong first outing as a director. The pacing of Diaz's escape is particularly well-handled and you honestly believe for a moment that they really did kill Curtis off.

Edited by tv echo

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Past Sins’
JANUARY 29TH, 2019 BY DARRYL JASPER
http://sciencefiction.com/2019/01/29/arrow-review-past-sins/

When dealing with genre shows highlighted by metahumans and vigilantes, there’s a level of suspension of disbelief required to enjoy this fun forays into other worlds. Even still, based on the rules created for that world, there are events that sheer even that fabric and can have viewers shaking their heads. Therefore it’s quite ironic that the biggest two offenders of this particular storyline are presented side-by-side.

Oliver Queen, despite years of killing (criminals yes, but still killing) and prison time is now a ‘trusted’ member of the SCPD? Equally bad and sitting beside him is Laurel Lance, Star City’s DA… only the one small fact is that this Laurel never practiced law, but was cagey enough to study law books on the side. Their ridiculous stories of the current season aside, “Past Sins” keeps the pair at the narrative forefront, with both admitting painful truths they’ve kept buried for so many years.

Edited by tv echo
Warning: the podcast mentions recent spoilers from DR...

Dear Arrow writers,
Please write better episodes for David Ramsey to direct.
Love,
Me
I’d give it a C+ for writing, but a solid A for David’s first time directing.
It’s really frustrating watching the police, Star City citizens and even Oliver’s own sister fundamentally mischaracterize who he is, but this is why Felicity continues to be so important. She’s our voice. 

Felicity is saying all the things we would say to Oliver. Her belief is unwavering, so it’s clear the point of this storyline is to show that the police, Star City and Emiko are in the wrong. They’ve misjudged Oliver and as we continue to push him toward this almost Messiah like evolution it’s really important for hindsight. Everyone has look back and realize Oliver’s goodness was staring them in the face the whole time. This way when he raises from the dead everyone will appreciate him.
Emiko: You’re a Queen. All you know how to do is leverage your own privilege to help yourself.

I’m having some issues with Emiko’s perspective on Oliver.
She’s lived in Star City her whole life.  She’s dressed up like the Green Arrow for the last seven months. If she can grasp the Green Arrow is a mechanism for justice then how can she say Oliver has simply been helping himself the last seven years? Those two don’t equate.
How long have we waited for Felicity to have a female friend to drink wine with? SEVEN YEARS. And the female friend is… S*ren.  
Here’s what’s even weirder – I buy Bl*ck Siren and Felicity as drinking buddies more than I buy L*urel and Felicity. That’s how bad it was with her character.

We finally get Bl*ck S*ren’s back story. I was slightly curious about how S*ren ended up as a fishnet wearing, screaming psychopath. The answer is cake.
S*ren becoming a super villain because of cake is the most L*urel thing this show has ever done. I cracked up.
Bl*ck S*ren’s father’s death is not her fault. The many people she killed, however, are her fault. It’s good S*ren didn’t kill Collins, but it also removes any justification she might have thought she had. S*ren’s whole world is a house of cards.
One of the reasons I like this version of LL is because she’s a more interesting character. S*ren is a killer and a villain, so it does give her scenes with Felicity and the other characters a different slant. I know it frustrates people when she shares scenes with Felicity, but I enjoy them. They make a good straight woman/funny woman. Felicity doesn’t ignore S*ren is a murderer and the occasional snarky comment from either of them gives their scenes some honesty, which was sorely lacking with LL.

Felicity: You haven’t had a problem talking about the dozens of other people you’ve killed so why keep this one secret?

Is it ridiculous Felicity is drinking Malbec with a serial killer? Yeah. I’m not sure what else to say about it. It seems everyone has decided since Bl*ck S*ren is living life as straight laced L*urel L*nce, and doing good, they are going to look the other way regarding her multiple homicides. The fact Felicity believes she can reform a killer isn’t exactly out of character. She’s done it before and look how good he turned out! This guy used to drop bodies on the regular and now he’s a puppy dog.
Of course, I am not equating Bl*ck S*ren’s murders and Oliver’s murders. They are very different things. S*ren killed good people for a bad reason. Oliver killed bad people for a good reason. But it’s still murder. So, yes I am leaving room for Bl*ck Siren’s redemption if she actually does what I think her redemption arc requires. And that’s a big if.
Oliver, Felicity and Dinah have all signed off on Siren’s redemption. And we’re on episode 11.
It would be an amazing contrast to Oliver’s arc. We know he’ll end the season redeemed. If Felicity shows S*ren the same love and support, but she chooses to remain evil then it casts a very bright light on Oliver.  
Of course, I could be completely wrong. It’s entirely possible the writers will keep BS at the status quo. If that’s what happens then character’s snide snark still makes her a more interesting character to watch than milk toast LL. Or perhaps the writers are pursuing a more in depth redemptive arc. S*ren will own up to her crimes and do a stint in the pokey. That would be a great contrast to Oliver as well. No matter which way they go I am curious to find out, which is a heck of a lot more than I can say for my apathetic state regarding LL years ago.
Look, I am a nice person and I deserve nice things. The writers teasing Curtis’ death like this proves me they know he’s the absolute worst and we want him gone. They’re just being obstinate about it. 
My understanding of Oliver working with the SCPD is he does all the work while Dinah & co follow him around in single file.  How is this any different than what he did before? Oh it’s legal. This is dumb. I’m over it. Time for Team Arrow to get back together.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow Review: Past Sins (Season 7 Episode 11)
January 29, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/01/arrow-review-past-sins-season-7-episode-11/

Even after 7 years, Robert Queen’s sins continue to haunt Oliver and threaten to thwart everything he’s worked so hard for. It’s precisely this that gives Oliver a chance to show how he’s grown and how different he is than his father.

The level of accountability we get to see Oliver take on without it completely bogging him down as it used to earlier on in the series, is one of those shining examples. His understanding that what Robert did in his life is not an indictment on the kind of person he is feels like a critical moment, and it’s done well in his confrontation with Sam at the police station.
It’s that moment and the way he handles Sam that seems to help along his relationship with Emiko, their final moment offering a promising step towards developing some kind of dynamic between the pair. I’m honestly looking forward to seeing how their relationship develops over the remainder of the season.
I wonder if this direct examination of the effect of Robert Queen’s actions on Oliver is one of the last significant obstacles he has before becoming a fully-realized version of what Oliver’s hoped he’d become someday; the kind of hero he wants to be.

While the past is handled well with Oliver, I take some issue with the way that Siren’s history is dealt with. I mean, the guilt behind her final words to her father is understandable. It adds a level of sympathy to the character.
But then it feels like there’s an attempt at equivocating her desire for revenge and her proceeding to kill, joining leagues of villains, among other actions since Siren was introduced.

I mean, she’s worked with Diaz and Adrian “Prometheus” Chase and has hurt, maimed, or killed many. It was never indicated it was in the name of revenge for whatever (and even if it were, I’m still not finding the narrative tie to that). That’s where the story loses me and fails a bit.  

I will say, though, that the dynamic between Felicity and Siren as necessary allies in a no-nonsense way has been interesting to see develop over the season and makes me wonder where that is going to go.
Oliver and Felicity’s two-person Team Arrow has become a wonderful aspect of the show. They complement each other well, prove that they are a solid unit together, and it still gives us a taste of the Team Arrow I’ve loved so much.
“Directed by David Ramsey” is one of those happy opening credits moments. Well done!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

‘ARROW’ 7×11 REVIEW: ‘PAST SINS’ 
ALYSSA BARBIERI   JANUARY 30, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-7x11-review-past-sins/

Arrow has lost the spark that made me gravitate toward it in the first place. There was a magic about it. There was faith that these characters would be done justice. There wasn’t a hype that had made the producers cocky and they took huge swings that were blatant strikes.
As someone who’s grown accustomed to Arrow and other DCTV shows bashing Oliver Queen and failing to see the hero he really is, I found myself pleasantly surprised — okay, not surprised. Downright floored — when this show went out of its way to show that Oliver is not like his father. To show that, even in the light of day, he is a hero. Most of this episode centered on Oliver’s struggle with Emiko’s declaration that all Queens are the same. Robert Queen was a selfish ass, thus Oliver Queen must be. I want to focus on the fact that this show honored Oliver’s heroism so I won’t point out this is a storyline — minus the new half-sister — that’s been rehashed before.
I’ll repeat it until it becomes a lie (which will be never): Olicity is the only thing that has me invested in this show. Not even OTA. Mostly because there is no OTA right now. This show, once again, has failed to ignore the heart of the show as it spirals into the category of “Shows That Overstayed Its Welcome.” I’m running out of adjectives. And I’m running out of excuses. All of these showrunners think the same. They’re enchanted by the Newbies.

But Oliver and Felicity remain my favorite thing about Arrow this season. If only this show gave us more of them. I guess those little moments of support and “I love you” are appreciated. But if this show even devoted half of the effort it does to Olicity that it does toward Diaz and the mess of the Newbies then maybe I’d be watching this show live.
If there’s one constant on Arrow it’s that it has never known what to do with Laurel Lance. Laurel of Earth-1. Earth-2. You name it. They just have no idea. And I’d had a little bit of faith — silly me — that maybe they’d get it right with this Black Siren reincarnation of Laurel Lance. The thing is, they probably killed any chance they had of properly redeeming Laurel of Earth-2 before this redemption arc even began. Back when Black Siren was killing and killing and killing to the point of no return. The show was so focused on making this villain such a threat that they didn’t think of how that would affect their desire to redeem her. Not that no one on this show has killed and been redeemed before. But Laurel ruthlessly killed. And she hasn’t paid the consequences. That’s the thing, more than anything, that irks me.

And yet, Laurel has been one of the better things for me this season on Arrow. I’ve enjoyed her scenes with Felicity and watching how her character’s demeanor is changing as she sees that there are people that care about her. I was even intrigued by getting some of her backstory. I just would’ve loved for it to have been better.

We finally learned what happened to Laurel’s father: He was killed by a drunk driver on the night of her 13th birthday. See, the show could’ve stopped there. But no, it had to throw in the gruesome details about how he died because she threw a tantrum because she got no cake and forced him to go back out and get a cake. Seriously? That’s the best you can do? REALLY A CAKE? Also, let’s not forget all the killing Laurel goes on to do. You telling me that’s all because her dad died getting her a cake when she was 13? Not buying it. Stop with the lazy storytelling.
Not much needs to be said other than it’s boring. It’s forcing Dinah on my screen when I don’t want nor need her on my screen. Oliver fighting crime only works when he’s wearing the Green Arrow costume — hood and all — and working with his team. Where Felicity is in his ear guiding him. Where Diggle has his back in the field. Without that I’m just not invested. At all. Please put us out of our misery already.
If you’d have told me that Arrow would have me loving a Felicity and Laurel friendship — one where they actually put emphasis and focus on — I’d have told you that you were nuts. And yet, here we are. The thing is, I like the friendship. But also, I don’t like the friendship. I guess I like the idea of a female friendship like Felicity and Laurel, but then I think about how this show has failed to make Laurel atone for all of the horrible stuff she’s done — killing — and it’s hard to get past it.

Felicity has been the one that has managed to harness the light inside of others. Oliver. Sara. Earth-1 Laurel. Now Earth-2 Laurel. It’s fitting, really, but I guess it falls in the so-so category because I’m not sure that I trust that this is going to work out. And also, how they’ve chosen to handle Laurel’s lack of consequences for her actions. But I like how it hasn’t just been one-way with Felicity helping Laurel. Laurel helped Felicity and there also seems to be a genuine friendship there. I just don’t trust it. Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I love when people who clearly are consumed with rage over a fictional couple have to write nice things about them because they are forced to for their job. It's hilarious 😂 

Bam Smack Pow

15 greatest Arrowverse couples of all time, ranked

by Michael Patterson11 hours agoFollow @michaelp93

TWEET

COMMENT

NEXT9 of 16PREV

8. Oliver and Felicity (Arrow)

A relationship that was formed out of nothing more than the sizzling chemistry between actors Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards and, if you watch their scenes back, it’s easy to see why. He was the lone vigilante on a quest to save Star City, and she was the quirky and adorkable I.T. girl who helped him solve all his technical problems.

The pair grew close during their first two years on Team Arrow, with Felicity clearly developing a crush on Oliver. However, between saving the city and falling in love with the Lance sisters, The Arrow just didn’t see her… until he eventually did. From the beginning of the show’s third season, the dynamic between them changed dramatically, and they attempted to go out on a date. Although it didn’t exactly work out, it changed the course of the show forever and, in that moment, Olicity was truly born.

The problem with these two was that, despite their insane amount of chemistry, they were much better apart than they ever were together. With the writers inexplicably switching gears and attempting to turn it into the show’s primary couple, their relationship was forcibly shoved to the forefront and was one of the two main reasons why Season 4 was a major low point for the series.

Having said that, once the forced conflict, questionable storylines and melodramatic contrivances were dropped and the pair spent a while apart, they reunited, got married and have managed to live happily ever after (well, live, at least). Felicity has even proven to be a fantastic mother-figure to Oliver’s son, William and, like always, has supported her husband in even the darkest of times.

At their worst, Oliver and Felicity may have dragged the show down and depleted its ratings, but at their best, there are flashes of brilliance from this loving couple that would go to the ends of the earth for each other. Without a doubt, a dynamic duo unlike any other.

4. Diggle and Lyla (Arrow)

Despite his longevity on the show, John Diggle hasn’t really been at the heart of Arrow‘s romance storylines since Season 2 – and with good reason: he’s been happily married to the love of his life, Lyla Michaels, for the majority of that time.

The pair met in Afghanistan, long before Diggle’s Starling City days, and actually ended up marrying. However, things didn’t work out and they eventually parted ways. That is, until “Johnny” needed his ex-wife’s help. From there, Lyla was drawn into his crime-fighting life with Oliver, and it was only a matter of time until they rekindled their love. After successfully doing so, they would go on to become parents to a beautiful child (daughter pre-Flashpoint, son post-Flashpoint) before getting married – for good this time.

Unlike the rest of the couples on this list, Diggle and Lyla’s marriage doesn’t dominate its respective show and, to be quite honest, it doesn’t need to. We know how well these two work together and, even more importantly, we know how strong their relationship is. Whether they are issuing playful jibes in the corridors of A.R.G.U.S. or taking each other’s hands in matrimony, almost every time that these two end up on screen together, it’s incredibly easy to sense the love that they have for one another.

Yes, they have had major disagreements in the past, not to mention trust issues, but they always worked their way through them together. As a result, there is never any forced conflict or melodramatic relationship drama – just a beautiful family that love each other unconditionally. Who could ask for more than that?

By the way when you click on the next tab on this article for Lauriver, they are referred to as Green Arrow and his Pretty Bird which tells you everything you need to know about this next write up:

by Michael Patterson11 hours agoFollow @michaelp93

TWEET

COMMENT

NEXT15 of 16PREV

2. Oliver and Laurel (Arrow)

When playboy billionaire Oliver Queen spent five years stranded on an island, enduring immeasurable amounts of torture, it wasn’t the thought of his lavish parties or his many affairs that kept him going. No, there was only one person he wanted to get back to – the first and only woman he ever truly loved: Dinah Laurel Lance.

Keeping her picture with him during his times of strife, he realized that she was the only thing that really mattered – something that he highlighted countless times throughout the show’s first season when he attempted to make up to her for all the horrible things he had done.

While Laurel was understandably unmoved, she couldn’t hide her feelings forever and, eventually, the pair found their way back to each other. Though there were issues with how their story played out, nothing could take those heartfelt moments away from them – many of which were so fulfilling because, when all was said and done, Oliver wasn’t a heartless playboy here or a troubled vigilante, he was just a man who finally realized how much he loved the woman in front of him.

Arrow‘s portrayal of their relationship was commendably different from the comics and started out with real promise. However, as Oliver became the heroic Green Arrow and Laurel became the Black Canary, the writers decided to strip everything away from the latter and force her into the background of her own show – a mistake they have never stopped paying for.

Laurel is, was and always will be at the heart of Oliver Queen’s story. She kept him going throughout his hellish times on the island and ultimately taught him to be a better man and, in turn, a better hero. This is why the writers’ ridiculous decision to friendzone them, pair Oliver with Felicity and ultimately kill Laurel off has left the show with a major hole that will never be filled.

There were times when Oliver wanted to die, but in the end, there was something, someone, he wanted more. Nothing else could ever compare to this.

https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/01/31/15-greatest-arrowverse-couples-ranked/15/

Lauriver is 2???? Are you kidding me?

Laurel who he ran from about as many times as he tried to ask/assertively persuade Felicity into marriage. 

That was embarrassing. I hope that wasn't an actual paid gig.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 13

However, as Oliver became the heroic Green Arrow and Laurel became the Black Canary, the writers decided to strip everything away from the latter and force her into the background of her own show – a mistake they have never stopped paying for.

LMAO

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lauriver is 2???? Are you kidding me?

Laurel who he ran from about as many times as he tried to ask/assertively persuade Felicity into marriage. 

That was embarrassing. I hope that wasn't an actual paid big.

Don't forget slept with her sister ...twice. Slept with Shado while he was supposedly only trying to get back to Laurel. Oh and was having fever dreams with Shado telling him he is in love with Poppy no name when he was supposedly only trying to get back to Laurel.

Seriously the guy should write comedy. He has the talent. 

• Love 14

Oh wow, I missed that part about how Arrow is apparently Laurel's show. That's just ... wow. I honestly don't even know what to say to that except, no, the show is not titled Arrow & Canary (or Canaries, I guess?) or Black Canary/Canaries or Earth-Insert # Laurel Lance.

• Love 6
Just now, Chaser said:

That was the laugh I needed. Thank you. 

I thought it might be 😉

I also love love how he tries to boil down Oliver and Felicity success as a couple to be based on nothing but chemistry while clearly not getting that in doing so he's basically admitting that Stephen and Katie don't have chemistry. 😂 

• Love 3

That article --

Laurel is, was and always will be at the heart of Oliver Queen’s story. She kept him going throughout his hellish times on the island and ultimately taught him to be a better man and, in turn, a better hero. 

The actual show --

tumblr_pjkmseqPro1rk5uwho6_400.gif

tumblr_pjl4q2DLMR1upkpglo2_540.gif

tumblr_pjl4q2DLMR1upkpglo3_540.gif

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 21

Oh, that article! I legit wonder if they have ever SEEN this show! Oh, I needed that lauph! I cant even decide on my favorite part! How Oliver was apparently pining over Laurel the whole time (after he ran off with his sister, and feel for two other woman on the island), how this was apparently Laurels show (missed how this show was apparently called Canary?), how she was the emotional core of the show and Oliver's journey (despite him telling Felicity she made him a better man about a trillion times) I dont even know which part is more delusional! I am dying!

• Love 4

LMAO I know who that Michael writer is, I have him blocked on twitter. He's part of stan twitter but on the LL side, I don't mess with stans (any of them) bc they're all extra af. But I do know he's one of those that if Felicity sneezes, they say she trying to infect the world with her sickness bc she's just that selfish. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

Keeping her picture with him during his times of strife, he realized that she was the only thing that really mattered – something that he highlighted countless times throughout the show’s first season when he attempted to make up to her for all the horrible things he had done.

While Laurel was understandably unmoved, she couldn’t hide her feelings forever and, eventually, the pair found their way back to each other. Though there were issues with how their story played out, nothing could take those heartfelt moments away from them – many of which were so fulfilling because, when all was said and done, Oliver wasn’t a heartless playboy here or a troubled vigilante, he was just a man who finally realized how much he loved the woman in front of him.

Arrow‘s portrayal of their relationship was commendably different from the comics and started out with real promise. However, as Oliver became the heroic Green Arrow and Laurel became the Black Canary, the writers decided to strip everything away from the latter and force her into the background of her own show – a mistake they have never stopped paying for.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JJ928 said:

LMAO I know who that Michael writer is, I have him blocked on twitter. He's part of stan twitter but on the LL side, I don't mess with stans (any of them) bc they're all extra af. But I do know he's one of those that if Felicity sneezes, they say she trying to infect the world with her sickness bc she's just that selfish. 

I figured as much. I mean I'm surprised he didn't bring up Havenrock. I'm picturing him the same way I picture Craig at GATV having to write up Olicity for best couple or Felicity for best character in the GATV award write ups every year lol

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

I love when people who clearly are consumed with rage over a fictional couple have to write nice things about them because they are forced to for their job. It's hilarious 😂 

By the way when you click on the next tab on this article for Lauriver, they are referred to as Green Arrow and his Pretty Bird which tells you everything you need to know about this next write up:

https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/01/31/15-greatest-arrowverse-couples-ranked/15/

fvwdp5.jpg

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BunsenBurner said:

However he is right Laurel’s picture kept him going.  Not Laurel just the picture. Too bad The picture had more chemistry than the actress. 

This reminds me of how he gave Laurel the photo back only for her to randomly have it on her to give back to him before she died. Like we are expected to believe she carried a photo of herself everywhere including in her Vigilante  outfit just waiting for the perfect moment to be able to give it back to her ex lol 😂 

• Love 8

The Dear John scene where he gives her the picture back was unintentionally? hilarious. She's dreaming that they can get back to her 5 year plan of being a Starling City Power Couple (right after Tommy died for her) and he can't run away fast enough. Again. He'd rather go back to living on Lian Yu. 

And since when was this her own show? If the character and couple had actually worked they wouldn't have needed to sideline her and be on their 4th iteration of BC right now. The fact that they did and the show is going in to S8 shows me LL wasn't essential. How come there are very few articles complaining how unfair it is than CD got let go and Tommy never fulfilled his destiny as Dark Archer? 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 12

THR reporting on Arrow's S8 renewal...

CW Renews 'The Flash,' 'Charmed,' 'Riverdale,' 'Supernatural,' 6 More
JANUARY 31, 2019 3:58pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cw-renews-flash-charmed-riverdale-supernatural-6-more-1181714 

In keeping with tradition, The CW on Thursday used its time before press at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour to hand out early renewals for 10 series.

Returning for additional seasons are: Arrow, Black Lightning, Charmed, Legends of Tomorrow, Dynasty, The Flash, Legacies, Riverdale, Supergirl and Supernatural.
The renewals will take Arrow into its eighth season; Black Lightning and Dynasty into their third; The Flash into its sixth; Legends and Supergirl into their fifth; Riverdale into its fourth; and Supernatural into its 15th. Charmed and Legacies — the latter the third series in the network's Vampire Diaries franchise — will be back for sophomore runs. Decisions on episode counts and final seasons will be made closer to The CW's upfront presentation in May.

CW Boss on "Next Generation" of DC Shows, Future of 'All American'
JANUARY 31, 2019 3:58pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cw-boss-next-generation-dc-shows-future-all-american-1181775

With all five DC Comics-inspired dramas already renewed for next season and its Ruby Rose-led Batwoman pilot fully expected to go to series, Pedowitz still believes there's room for more. "We haven't hit that saturation point," he said, noting that the network has yet to decide if all six dramas would be on the air concurrently. With Arrow renewed for its eighth season, Pedowitz is aware that some of the Greg Berlanti-produced DC shows are starting to show signs of age. "Things will age and we want to get the next generation of shows to keep The CW DC universe going for as long as possible," he said. Decisions about final seasons of any of The CW's fare — including Arrow — will likely come around May's upfront presentations to ad buyers. ...

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Season 7 Episode 11 Review: “Past Sins” 
Chris King    January 31, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/arrow-season-7-episode-11-review-past-sins/

There’s not much to say about this week’s episode of Arrow, which despite some solid direction from John Diggle himself, David Ramsey, features almost no significant character or story developments, or at least not ones that are as compelling as they could be. And again, that’s no fault of the direction. Ramsey does well in his first time in the director’s chair, especially when he’s capturing the unique, literally electrifying powers of Hackett’s son, Sam, but the lack of meaty, gripping storylines in “Past Sins” guarantees that, no matter who the director is, there’s no saving this lackluster hour.

That’s not to say that there’s no interesting or entertaining ideas in “Past Sins.” While I couldn’t care less about Curtis’s problems with ARGUS tactics (sorry, dude, but you don’t get to take the moral high ground about treatment of violent criminals after you deactivated Dig’s chip last year for stupid, petty reasons), the continued evolution of Black Siren remains a story that I am invested in, mainly because of the enjoyable friendship that has blossomed between her and Felicity. Earth-2 Laurel’s genuine surprise that Felicity had invited her out to a celebration dinner is sweet and charming, and while it’s a bit ridiculous that she’s already considered the most popular D.A. in Star City history, I am open to seeing more stories about her in this new role, featuring both her successes and her failures.

What I’m less open to, however, is the lazy, unoriginal backstory that “Past Sins” provides Black Siren with. It makes sense that she would blame herself for her father’s death given the circumstances surrounding it, but this type of storyline, the spoiled daughter forcing her parent to go out and get her a birthday cake or a birthday present or any other type of item, has been done countless times before in both television and film. And frankly, it’s been done much better than what the Arrow writers presented viewers with this week. Why not try to do something more complicated or creative or just plain different? Because even if that different type of story for Black Siren doesn’t work, it can at least be applauded for being something ambitious or unique rather than same, tired, recycled, Lifetime movie plot.
The most intriguing and emotionally captivating story in “Past Sins” is Oliver’s attempt to reach out to Emiko while also continuing to face the sins of their father. ...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Fuller MP quote...

Are There Too Many DC TV Shows? Here's What The CW Network's President Says
BY BRITT LAWRENCE  FEBRUARY 1, 2019
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2466225/are-there-too-many-dc-tv-shows-heres-what-the-cw-networks-president-says

Are there too many DC TV shows? For a few years now, The CW has become superhero central. Currently, it is the home of five TV shows based on DC comics, and one more could be on the way. CinemaBlend’s Nick Venable was on hand at the TCAs when The CW’s network president, Mark Pedowitz, weighed in, saying:

"Oh, I don’t have that number yet. We haven’t hit that saturation point in my mind. I’m looking forward to Batwoman. Hopefully, in May we’ll be able to order it to series. I’m thrilled where we are with Arrow, Flash, Legends, Black Lightning, and Supergirl. So I think we have a lot to say. I think there’s more to be said. What I’d really like to do is things will age, and we want to get the next generation of shows to keep this CW Universe going for as many years as possible."

Edited by tv echo

Anna Hopkins Teases Shadowhunters' End (and Lilith's Revenge?), Revisits Her Roles on Arrow, Defiance and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / February 1 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/02/01/anna-hopkins-shadowhunters-series-finale-preview-lilith-edom-revenge/

During her drop-by, TVLine invited Hopkins — who was one of our Workaholics of 2018 — to share some Memories From the Set of Arrow, Nikita and more of the shows she previously called home, as well as offer some final teases about Lilith’s next move. Click here for direct access to the actress’ fun trip down memory lane.

Memories From the Set: Anna Hopkins
https://tvline.com/gallery/anna-hopkins-photos-arrow-shadowhunters-defiance/#!6/anna-hopkins-arrow-1/

anna-hopkins-arrow-1.png?w=620

ARROW
After TVLine replayed for Hopkins her very first scene as playboy Oliver Queen’s pregnant girlfriend, Hopkins raved of scene partner Susanna Thompson, “She was the best, I love her so much. Right after this, she was going on a trip to Paris, and I had gone to school there, so I remember sitting down for, like, two hours writing out recommendations for her.”

As for landing the top-secret role…. Having previously auditioned to play Sara Lance, Hopkins was later brought in to read for the part of a “journalist.” After booking the gig and just as she was about to head to Vancouver, she got the 411 on who she really would be playing: Samantha Clayton, mother of Oliver’s son William. For the next few years, starting with an appearance on The Flash, “I would get these little golden nuggets of like, ‘OK, come to Vancouver!'” she smiles. “I loved working on that set, and I love Stephen [Amell]. He’s such a good guy.”

https://tvline.com/gallery/anna-hopkins-photos-arrow-shadowhunters-defiance/#!7/anna-hopkins-arrow-2/

anna-hopkins-arrow-2.png?w=619

ARROW (CONT’D)
In the Season 5 finale, Samantha was one of 13 characters whose fate was left up in the air when Prometheus blew up the island of Lian Yu. “I ran into Stephen [Amell] that summer, and I was like, ‘So… did I make it?'” the actress says. “He was like, ‘No, you’re dying,’ and so I went back to do that last death scene” for the Season 6 opener. Meaning, Samantha is thus far the only confirmed casualty out of more than a dozen people. “Yep, true. I died,” Hopkins shrugs. After all, “I only have, like, normal-people skills!”

Fun fact: Hopkins not only knows that TV son William is now in his 30s (in Season 7’s flash-forwards), she actually knows the young man. “When I first moved to Toronto, Ben Lewis worked at this casting house, as a reader. When I ran into him last summer, he was like, ‘Hey, I was just cast as your son,’ and I was like, ‘Whaaat?!'”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

‘Arrow’ 7×11 discussion: The transparency and redemption of “Past Sins”
 Lynsey Neill  February 1, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/02/01/arrow-7x11-discussion-the-transparency-and-redemption-of-past-sins/

We love Felicity Smoak. I love Felicity Smoak. And we all want the best for her. Which is why we clamor and beg for an individual storyline and for Smoak Tech to finally rise!

Through my own personal experience of the character for all of these years, I never felt a lack of Felicity Smoak quality content like I have in 7B. I know, this is only the second episode of the back half, but these two episodes made me nervous.

But my reasoning for never feeling like her content was particularly “lacking” for lack of a better term, is because Felicity has always been such an integral part of the team, and the glue that holds everything together. And even when she didn’t have an individual storyline, her passion for the mission, and for Overwatch, sustained me substantially. Now there is no team. And I feel it.

And I have never had an aching for Smoak Tech than I do right now. Felicity being everyone’s champion and “the light bringer” is one of the many reasons why we love her. However, I want to see her champion herself a little bit more.

She’s developing her own security system, and what will come of it? Please, god, let it be Smoak Tech.
Black Siren has ways to go in the redemptive front. So, she became a murderer because when she was a little girl she threw a tantrum about her father forgetting her birthday cake, and when he went to go get it he was hit by a drunk driver? Right? Cool.

No, Black Siren you are not responsible for your father’s death, but you are responsible for everyone you killed sense[sic] then.

Will she earn redemption while she is living the life another dead woman earned? Ehhhh…. probably not. Even with the help of Felicity.
P.S.: Oliver and Felicity holding hands throughout the episode gave me life, they are the ultimate power couple.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Meh...

HOW ARROW IS BUILDING TOWARD A FUTURE THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE OLIVER QUEEN
BY LACY BAUGHER   31 JAN 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02/01/will-arrow-oliver-queen-die-in-crisis-on-infinite-earths-crossover

To be fair, Arrow is the linchpin around which the CW’s shared universe was built, and Oliver’s spent seven years fighting the good fight in Star City. He is the reason we have a multi-show Arrowverse to obsess over today, and should definitely be celebrated for that fact. Oliver’s a great character, who’s gone on an incredible narrative journey from selfish playboy to selfless savior. But at this point, it’s fair to ask how much story is really left for him, and admit that it might be time for him to hang up the hood. (At the very least, star Stephen Amell might be itching to do something besides climbing salmon ladders in his spare time.)

Whether that means that we’re all correct in speculating that Oliver traded his life for Barry and/or Kara’s in the “Elseworlds” crossover, or he and Felicity will ride off into the sunset of superhero retirement is a question that probably only “Crisis on Infinite Earths” can answer later this year. But Oliver’s possible exit – in whatever form it might come – doesn’t necessarily signal the end of Arrow. In fact, Season 7 now feels like an extended test run for what a remixed or reimagined version of the show might look like afterward.
Oliver spent a third of this season in prison, and while we don’t know precisely where his character will go as a free man (aside from attempting to work inside the law for once), we do know that Arrow is now much less reliant on his presence than it has been in years past. While Oliver struggled to survive jail, the show’s women stepped forward to fill in the space his character left behind, and new stories grew up around them. From Felicity’s extended dabble with her dark side, to Dinah’s challenging career transition, to Laurel’s attempt to live the life Quentin Lance would have wanted for her, the women of Arrow are no longer stuck on the sidelines. And with the introduction of Emiko Queen as a female Green Arrow, it certainly feels like the show is moving in a completely new direction.

Then there’s the issue of Arrow’s flash-forwards. A welcome respite from six years of Oliver’s increasingly horrifying assortment of flashback wigs, these glimpses of the future show us a ruined Star City in 2038. In them, an adult William teams up with a much older Roy Harper, Rene’s crimefighting daughter Zoe, and a scarred version of Dinah who has reclaimed her vigilante Canary persona. These snippets reveal not only that Felicity is supposedly dead, but also that she became a full dark, no stars supervillain known as the Calculator.

Oddly enough, what they haven’t told us – and probably won’t – is what happened to Oliver. In fact, Oliver hasn’t been mentioned in any of the flash-forwards at all. It’s extremely tempting to believe this move has been deliberate, a purposeful omission to ease us into the idea of a world without Oliver in it, and to hint that the reason behind his absence will be revealed later on. (Say, in Fall 2019, when “Crisis” arrives.)
Given how frequently Arrow likes to misdirect its viewers, there’s every chance that Felicity is alive and well, having faked her own death to help William accomplish some task whose details we aren’t yet privy to. It could be that Oliver isn’t around in the flash-forwards simply because he and his presumed dead wife actually fled to Metropolis or Gotham or some town where people don’t know them. (Leaving them free to pop back for crossovers every year.) Or maybe they’re both dead, and Oliver’s deal with the Monitor is ultimately what drove Felicity into full Big Bad mode. But no matter how this future story shakes out, Arrow certainly seems to be preparing itself for a time in which Oliver is no longer the driving force behind the series’ story.
Arrow has reinvigorated its storytelling enough in the past two seasons that we shouldn’t simply dismiss the idea out of hand. And thanks to the introduction of Emiko Queen, there’s room for plenty of new characters to rotate in as some of the old guard wrap up their stories. Such a shift would also establish the “passing the mantle” trope so prevalent in comics, allowing other – usually younger - versions of known heroes to get their chance at the spotlight. (See: The flash-forward introductions of William, Zoe, and Blackstar.) Oliver’s presence would certainly be missed, but his legacy would continue on through his son, his teammates and everyone whose life he affected (or saved) in Star City. There are certainly worse ways for a hero to be remembered, no matter how he goes out.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

How the Show “Arrow” Has Changed Since Season 1 
Nat Berman   February 1, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/how-the-show-arrow-has-changed-since-season-1/

For starters, Arrow has brought the Arrowverse into existence. In short, the Arrowverse is a shared universe in a similar sense to the DC Extended Universe and the Marvel Cinematic Universe but centered on live-action TV shows rather than live-action movies. However, the Arrowverse has seen other kinds of works included in it as well, with an excellent example being the various web series that have been released.
With that said, Arrow has seen plenty of changes in its own right. For example, the titular character has seen some serious changes in his circumstances. In Season 1, he was someone returned to society after he was stranded on an island by a shipwreck. By Season 5, he had become the mayor and by Season 6, he had become imprisoned because of the reveal of his secret identity. Besides him, it should be mentioned that there has been a succession of characters both coming and going from Arrow for one reason or another. This can be seen in a full cast of supporting heroes springing up around the titular character, which range from Overwatch to not one but two Black Canaries. Likewise, this can be seen in a veritable parade of villains, which include Green Arrow regulars but also features characters that most people would be more familiar with because of other DC Comics properties.
Summed up, the success of Arrow has made the Arrowverse possible, which is rather interesting because the shared setting has seen Green Arrow claim a position of prominence that would be blocked off to the character in most versions of the DC Universe. After all, there are DC Comics characters that are much better-known than him, with examples including but not limited to Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. However, those characters have been claimed by the DC Extended Universe, thus enabling a different cast of characters to flourish in the Arrowverse in their absence.

• Love 1

I've been reading a lot of speculation about how TPTB are setting up Arrow to continue as a show without Oliver in the future. I hope not. At this week's TCA, Mark Pedowitz recognized that the core of Supernatural was the two brothers:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/cw-president-netflix-black-lightning-in-the-dark-1202040374/

By taking those chances, Pedowitz has learned what doesn’t work for the network — like a “Supernatural” spinoff, despite multiple attempts, simply won’t work because, he feels, the core of the show is brothers Sam and Dean (Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles).

I hope Mark Pedowitz similarly realizes that the core of Arrow is OTA: Oliver, Felicity and Diggle.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, tv echo said:

I've been reading a lot of speculation about how TPTB are setting up Arrow to continue as a show without Oliver in the future. I hope not. At this week's TCA, Mark Pedowitz recognized that the core of Supernatural was the two brothers:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/cw-president-netflix-black-lightning-in-the-dark-1202040374/

I hope Mark Pedowitz similarly realizes that the core of Arrow is OTA: Oliver, Felicity and Diggle.

I have a problem with that Pedowitz comment and think it's a cop out. No one ever said they wanted Supernatural to go on without Sam & Dean. Fans of the Wayward Sisters characters just wanted to see them given their own show, a spin off. And the fandom is still there for it. 

Arrow is Arrow. It shouldn't continue without Oliver & I highly doubt it would. I think it will end with Oliver Queen.

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 5

THR comments on 711 (Sydney Bucksbaum)...

Arrow

The big news: Oliver and Emiko (Sea Shimooka) moved forward in their new relationship in a relatively quiet episode. 

What it means: After Oliver was forced to publicly come clean about his father's murder pre-suicide on the life raft all those years ago, Emiko was finally convinced that Oliver was not their father. By owning the sins of their flawed father, Oliver proved that he was worth trusting. Does this mean we'll see two Green Arrows working together to solve the murder of Emiko's mother?

Other noteworthy moments: Elsewhere in the episode, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) continued to bond with a brilliant wine night scene that was tragically cut short by some drama haunting Laurel. Once they dealt with her "stalker" (or so they thought, as Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) got a similar creepy message by the end of the hour), Felicity helped break Laurel's walls down by getting her to talk about her father's death. This friendship is surprisingly becoming one of the best parts of this show. 

Edited by tv echo

Quotes of the Week: Arrow, Bachelor, Million Little Things, B99 and More
By Team TVLine / February 3 2019
https://tvline.com/gallery/htgawm-uppity-white-men-best-tv-quotes/#!4/arrow-hypothetically-quote/

ARROW
“I was hoping to utilize your skills to help me with something. Hypothetically.”

“OK, let me stop you right there, because we both know that ‘hypothetically’ means that this is definitely happening.”

Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) knows that Laurel (Katie Cassidy) doesn’t do anything “in theory”

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) knows that Laurel (Katie Cassidy) doesn’t do anything “in theory”

That's an odd interpretation.  I saw it as her just seeing through the cliche and cutting to the chase.  Not some comment on Laurel and what she does or doesn't do.  It's weird how they tried to sneak in praise for BS rather than just acknowledge Felicity was being astute.    

• Love 3

I just took it as a call-back/joke to the start of their 'friendship' because Felicity originally went to her and asked what would happen if someone hypothetically kidnapped The Silencer. Maybe sort of an acknowledgement that neither would go to the other with an actually hypothetical situation. Definitely not a comment on whether Laurel does things "in theory."

• Love 3

A.V. Club reviewer gave 712 a grade of C- (ouch)...

Arrow celebrates hitting episode 150 by underlining all its own shortcomings
Allison Shoemaker   February 5, 2019
https://tv.avclub.com/arrow-celebrates-hitting-episode-150-by-underlining-all-1832241758

The best part of “Emerald Archer” is the first 15 seconds. After the familiar CW intro, we get not a “Previously, on Arrow,” but the old-timey tinkle and eventual triumphant brass and cymbals of the Warner Bros. logo animation music. It’s so familiar, but totally out of place. After 150 episodes of television, it’s a clever way of signaling that what follows is different, special. It’s a wink, one that may take a moment to sink in. And best of all, it’s there for a reason. It conveys information. It helps establish a premise, and a tone. It works.

The same can’t be said of what follows.
More’s the pity. I’m inclined to be a bit more forgiving toward “Emerald Archer” than I might normally be, considering the significant failings of thus cameo-peppered hour. There’s a comically disappointing villain, a ludicrous conclusion that promises nothing good for the future, one particularly aggravating subplot, the single most unnecessary Ricardo Diaz appearance yet (really saying something), and most injuriously, a central conceit that not only does little to add to the proceedings, but actually highlights all the routine shortcomings that are otherwise fairly easy to dismiss. But there’s also ambition, and risk-taking, both qualities most welcome in a series that’s getting a bit long in the tooth (and about to get longer-toothed). The effort and the risk should both be celebrated, but risks don’t always pay off, and this one doesn’t.

“Emerald Archer” takes the form, at least in part, of a documentary, compiled of interviews filmed over several years and footage shot in the show’s present (Emiko, being deputized, etc.) By adopting, however irregularly, the tone and style of cinema verité-style documentary filmmaking, Arrow asks us to believe that this story, this precise chapter of it, has roots in our reality. That means when Oliver, an official member of the Star City Police Department, picks the lock on a building without hesitation and storms in, he does so in a context in which a film crew is documenting his every move in hopes of prompting its audience to ask themselves big questions about vigilantism, justice, the law, and the public good. It’s no longer something to be hand-waved away with a nice “this isn’t that kind of show, it’s not The Wire.” It has given us another lens, and that lens is unforgiving.
Worse, though, is that the documentary format changes almost nothing about the story, and it also doesn’t alter the way that the characters behave. Their choices, their language, the faces they present are all the same. The cameras change almost nothing. On the rare occasion that there are conversations to which the crew is not privy, moments behind closed doors or in quiet corners, the audience still sees those conversations. Our perspective is not ultimately, that of the documentary viewer. It’s still just Arrow, but with more cameos, some very jiggly camera work, and a credits sequence that would make the American Vandal guys feel very pleased with themselves. No one, not even poor Curtis, alters their behavior to seem more sympathetic or cool on camera, and no one tells us anything we didn’t already know. One of the interviewees even risks outing himself by participating, something the show doesn’t acknowledge.
Maybe that seems like a dumb question. But since one of the episode’s more affecting moments does involve the outing of one of those characters (that would be Dinah’s unhesitating canary cry), and since the crew does get Emiko’s face on camera, it’s the kind of question you ask. Stories told this way are supposed to ask you to ask questions, and consider the truth. Here are some questions and truths this episode asks us to consider: Oliver doesn’t need a search warrant? This crew doesn’t ask Sara Lance what she does for a living? ARGUS is cool with cameras on the premises, and with Curtis talking up a storm in front of said cameras? A fancy boarding school expelled William and no one called his family? That hilarious footage of Diaz in his prison cell was filmed when, exactly? The mayor really thinks debating a guy in a green leather suit in front of cameras and an audience is the best way to increase her power and get her way? Why does Oliver being deputized mean he’s allowed to just shoot arrows at people? And wait, are Rory and Helena dead, or not?
Arrow makes it pretty easy to ignore most of those things, most of the time. (It’s not The Wire.) And the willing suspension of disbelief is a requirement for all fiction, to a greater or lesser extent. But those dumb documentary cameras ask the opposite. They are meant to challenge perception, and to offer a new perspective. This just offers some new choppy camera work and the challenge of believing that any of that shit would actually fly.
Arrow took a risk, and it flopped. But showrunner Beth Schwartz has turned in a solid season so far, and as a result it’s perhaps best to dwell on the positive: Arrow, a show that’s been on forever, took a risk, and every once in awhile, it worked. That’s no small thing.
Cameos, ranked: 1) Captain Lance (Paul Blackthorne), starting things on a good note. 2) Barry, giggling and totally making people suspect he’s The Flash. 3) Sara Lance, acknowledging the death of her father on one show at least. 4) Everyone else (including Thea—good to see Willa Holland back, but they could have given her something more to do) except the unnecessary voice of Kelsey Grammer. 5) The unnecessary voice of Kelsey Grammer.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3