Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

What would you guys pick if you had a choice for a fic that you like:

Frequent updates but shorter (not overly short) chapters 

or

Author takes a while but gets a long juicy chapter out to you when he/she does update?

I find that even though theoretically I like to settle down with a cup of tea and a long update, I tend to lose concentration on super long chapters. Shorter updates leave me wanting more! 

It depends on just how long a little longer is and how short short is. I’m okay with waiting a little while for a decently sized update, but after a couple weeks I start to forget what’s happening in the story. As far as size, I don’t mind shorter chapters if updates are frequent, but if they’re too short it’s hard to get into the flow of the story before the chapter’s over. 

• Love 3

What @Hiveminder said.

If there is too long between chapters, I forget what happened so I've rather have shorter chapters with one or two weeks than really long ones three months apart.  (That said, there are writers like MachaSWicket for whom I will wait as log as it takes.)

I know the writers don't owe me anything but I hate it when I get really into a story and the writer just loses interest and stops, so I appreciate writers like callistawolf who has the story plotted out and most of it written before she starts posting it.

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

What would you guys pick if you had a choice for a fic that you like:

Frequent updates but shorter (not overly short) chapters 

or

Author takes a while but gets a long juicy chapter out to you when he/she does update?

I find that even though theoretically I like to settle down with a cup of tea and a long update, I tend to lose concentration on super long chapters. Shorter updates leave me wanting more! 

I'm curious what you see as a short or long chapter.  How many words are you thinking?

2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'm curious what you see as a short or long chapter.  How many words are you thinking?

2000 and below is short and 8000 plus is long for me. 

@statsgirl I avoid writers who have a tonne of unfinished fics. I totally get that it's a hobby on the side but if it's someone's tendency not to finish anything I just avoid it. It's like me and knitting! 

Which brings me to why I love somewhereelses's work so much. Those shorter stories that are ALL resolved are my jam! 

I miss her fics *sniffles*

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

2000 and below is short and 8000 plus is long for me. 

@statsgirl I avoid writers who have a tonne of unfinished fics. I totally get that it's a hobby on the side but if it's someone's tendency not to finish anything I just avoid it. It's like me and knitting! 

Which brings me to why I love somewhereelses's work so much. Those shorter stories that are ALL resolved are my jam! 

I miss her fics *sniffles*

I could handle weekly 2000 word chapters but it's just short enough that I think I would quickly get impatient if the wait was any longer with so little reward.  But yeah, 8000 is a LONG chapter, lol.  I like the 3-5 k range myself.  

Lately, though, I find the deeper into the show we get, the more likely I am to not start reading new stories at all until they are significantly on their way to being finished.  I've even temporarily dropped a number of WIP that I really enjoyed in my impatience.  I'd prefer to wait many, many months and get the whole thing then read it week to week.  I just have too much difficulty keeping them all straight.   It's different with like TV shows.  Everyone is different but all the fics have too many similarities.  I'm reading because I WANT those similarities but not all at once concurrently.  

Though even more than mixing them up or forgetting what's going on if updates happen few and far between, I think I just get demoralized at the constant checking for updates and the long list of bookmarked fics that just seem abandoned.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

I like the 3-5 k range myself.  

Me too!!! Twinnies lol!

I am bad in that if I have an entire fic I am more prone to start speed reading which I think is bad but I can't help myself sometimes!

I tend to read weekly updates properly as there isn't anything ahead for me to try and rush to! 

• Love 2

One thing I do if I find a fic that I love, I'll save it and re-read when times are lean.  (I think it was Aristotle who said that you should read a good story twice, once to find out what happens and a second time to appreciate the writing.)

• Love 7

To whoever on this forum who described EBR's wink as a "Wink Blink" in one of the threads, I apologise in advance as I will be using that term all over one of my fics! I would give you credit but I can't remember who used the term so this is my disclaimer in case you run into it one day! 

23 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

To whoever on this forum who described EBR's wink as a "Wink Blink" in one of the threads, I apologise in advance as I will be using that term all over one of my fics! I would give you credit but I can't remember who used the term so this is my disclaimer in case you run into it one day! 

I called it a "blink-wink" in a previous post, but maybe somebody else said "wink blink"? LOL!

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I called it a "blink-wink" in a previous post, but maybe somebody else said "wink blink"? LOL!

oooh I think the term did come from you, only I got confused and wrote it as "wink blink" in my fic! 

Heee OMG she's so cute as GA! Why did they make her so cute? I do not understand this!

Question: Is there such a thing as too many updates on a fic? I am currently on a rampage with a fic and I have yet another update to post. Thing is I just updated like 2 days ago. 

Is it distracting for a reader to get too many random updates? I'm wondering if I should plod on with the next chapter and commit to once a week on a specific date.

With the exception of Callistawolf who is an absolute champ with her updates, the stories I read get updated like once a blue moon! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Heee OMG she's so cute as GA! Why did they make her so cute? I do not understand this!

Question: Is there such a thing as too many updates on a fic? I am currently on a rampage with a fic and I have yet another update to post. Thing is I just updated like 2 days ago. 

Is it distracting for a reader to get too many random updates? I'm wondering if I should plod on with the next chapter and commit to once a week on a specific date.

With the exception of Callistawolf who is an absolute champ with her updates, the stories I read get updated like once a blue moon! 

I don't think there are such a thing as too many updates, readers love to read, but if you don't normally update so quickly you might consider an author's note that brings attention to the fact that you had just updated 2 days ago to make sure no one accidentally misses reading your previous chapter. 

I've run into that as a problem as a reader.  Usually, you figure out pretty quickly something is off but you still risk being badly spoiled by reading stuff out of order and at least once I didn't figure out about a missed chapter until several updates later when they started referring to stuff I didn't know about.  

Edited by BkWurm1

Omg that is awesome!

I swear after I watched that scene I thought to myself "How awesome would it be if we could add Flash stripes as a joke."

You know I think they'd miss her if she wasn't around. Who would be there to inspire them and give them something to obsess over?

That is really cute though the clip! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 5

A variety of fic for a variety of tastes:

A season 5 re-write: A Dance with the Devil by cfcureton. Chase targets Felicity from early in the season.  A bit slow at first but when things happen, she really keeps the action going. You'll even like Susan in this one.

Season 6 missing scenes: (Something) Just Like This by Mintsea. Mostly domestic Oliver/Felicity/William. Sscenes I didn't know I needed.  She has a way of writing really sweet moments between them. Canon compliant.

For those Olicitot yearnings: Unexpected by jesileigh. "Oliver is in prison and Felicity is struggling to hold it together. And that's before she hears the news."

Those s2 rumors about Oliver and Felicity having an affair: Rumor Has It by Bindy417. From the eyes of some of QC's employees. In addition to the scenarios being realistic, I'm impressed at how she makes the observers realistic people rather than two dimensional caricatures.

AU, a moment of fun: Under the Influence (of Alcohol and Sexual Tension) by smoaknbabs Felicity and that hot bartender.

• Love 5

Ah thanks!  I remember now.

I asked in the comments if her Jax and Sebastian were supposed to be the characters from the TV show and she replied that she'd forgotten the TV Arrowverse had used those names.

• Love 1

I didn’t get the impression that Jax had anything to do with the Arrowverse Jax. That’s too bad about her deleting. I wasn’t instantly vowed by the first chapter, but I was waiting for them to build up to give it another go.

• Love 1

Ever since that cute and silly scene between Olicity at the end of the Slade episode I have not been able to use the words "Happy Ending" which is incredibly inconvenient because I need to use it in a chapter right now and all I can think of are the faces they pulled when they talked about it!!!!!

8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Could you substitute "Happily Ever After" instead?  

Otherwise I think you absolutely could use happy ending as long as it's the right context.  

I did! But I'm annoyed I can't use "Happy Ending" without thinking of that scene! I giggle now whenever I hear "Happy Ending." Haha considering I'm on the wrong side of 30 I should know better!

• Love 1