Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

Speaking of fics, I just ran across this coffee shop AU from a few months ago, In Search of Caffeination by somewhereelse. Maybe everyone else has already read it, but I missed it. It's cute and does a great job of incorporating side characters without them overwhelming the piece. Though I am chomping at the bits to know what role Dig plays in their lives from one short mention in the graphics. While on the topics, the graphics are really great. Not least of all the Snapchat shot of Barry trying to make a Starbucks coffee run incognito. Plus, I loved some themes from the show popping up in a different context, like the staff calling Oliver's coffee shop by a different name which exasperates him. I had very welcom flash backs to, Team Arrow. [grinds teeth] We don't call it that.

And it's really hilarious. Cases in point:

he almost feels sorry for the suckers who come looking for Iris only to find that she’s blissfully dating the nerdiest man alive

Then, because Oliver can’t stop being a train wreck...

Roy once called her [Evelyn] “adorably murderous” and he’s probably not wrong.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Speaking of fics, I just ran across this coffee shop AU from a few months ago, In Search of Caffeination by somewhereelse. Maybe everyone else has already read it, but I missed it. It's cute and does a great job of incorporating side characters without them overwhelming the piece. Though I am chomping at the bits to know what role Dig plays in their lives from one short mention in the graphics. While on the topics, the graphics are really great. Not least of all the Snapchat shot of Barry trying to make a Starbucks coffee run incognito. Plus, I loved some themes from the show popping up in a different context, like the staff calling Oliver's coffee shop by a different name which exasperates him. I had very welcom flash backs to, Team Arrow. [grinds teeth] We don't call it that.

And it's really hilarious. Cases in point:

Oh, I remember that! Not the actual story (so I have to read again) but the graphics were cute. 

What I really liked about the Rumor Has It fic other than that both Felicity and Oliver were in s2 characcter, was that the original character was like a real person, both good and flawed.

A couple of fic I've had fun with lately:

Freeze Frame, ;Pause, Rewind, Stop by bri617  Oliver's grandmother loses a game of poker and the pot is to go on a date with the granddaughter of Freida Smoak

Matched by spatronaut. A soulmates fic wherein one of the soulmates doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
On 1/3/2018 at 9:57 PM, statsgirl said:

Freeze Frame, ;Pause, Rewind, Stop by bri617  Oliver's grandmother loses a game of poker and the pot is to go on a date with the granddaughter of Freida Smoak

I really wanted to like this one.  But it's a great example of why I usually don't like the enemies to friends to lovers thing for Oliver and Felicity.  I liked the set up but when they got into the reasons why they'd not been getting along, I just couldn't buy either of them previously being like that.  Oliver, hating her because she's cheerful and great at everything she does and Felicity turning in shoddy budget forms with cut corners and inflated numbers who used to get budgets passed only because the head of the department wanted to get into her pants. Oliver was never shown to be that kind of petty and Felicity not doing a thorough job with anything, especially numbers makes her an entirely different person.

It probably gets much better after this point but I just couldn't go on.  

It's hard to think of Felicity being someone's enemy unless it's someone like  Isabel who started it first so it doesn't really maks sense to put her in a enemies to lovers fic.

But it gets cute later.

Edited by statsgirl
30 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It's hard to think of Felicity being someone's enemy unless it's someone like  Isabel who started it first so it doesn't really maks sense to put her in a enemies to lovers fic.

But it gets cute later.

I could kind of get a sense of that even from what I read but I have to be in the headspace to accept the stuff that just tosses me out of the story.  I don't think I realized how particular I am about characterization.  Part of it is I don't trust the author to get the rest of it right if they get certain IMO obvious things right.  It feels like it could be the start of a cute story, but I have to be able to let go of it being Oliver and Felicity from the show.  Or at least exact versions.

Edited by BkWurm1
21 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Current pet peeve.  Fics set about now that have William calling Felicity mom, mama, or mother.  

Every time I read that I can't help but feel like it's just really disrespectful to Samantha, even though I hate her. I feel like the author is trying to erase William's dead mother from his life and turn him into an Olicity baby. 

3 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm reading a fic where Oliver has wings and I'm learning more about feathers and molting than I really wanted: "Birds of a Feather."

It's kinda cute but Oliver here, even though he's a vigilante, is not the Oliver of the show. He's a lot damaged and sometimes comes across like a child, an abused child.

That's pretty common with that author. ( Or one of those authors, since it looks like this is a joint effort.) I like a few of her fics, but her Oliver characterization can be  a bit much. I appreciate that she tries to showcase his PTSD better than the show, but I think she goes too far in the other direction. I can't accept her Oliver as being capable of being a vigilante, and his symptoms often go way overboard. Plus, her Thea is usually a totally insensitive brat, and dense too. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Hiveminder said:

That's pretty common with that author. ( Or one of those authors, since it looks like this is a joint effort.) I like a few of her fics, but her Oliver characterization can be  a bit much. I appreciate that she tries to showcase his PTSD better than the show, but I think she goes too far in the other direction.

Is that the one that loves to do dog related ones?  Yeah, her Oliver usually has no business being a vigilante.  WAAAy to broken.  Plus everyone but Felicity is usually a horrible insensitive ass or at least usually at some point gets yelled at by Felicity for being horrible even if I don't agree.  

Edited by BkWurm1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Is that the one that loves to do dog related ones?  Yeah, her Oliver usually has no business being a vigilante.  WAAAy to broken.  Plus everyone but Felicity is usually a horrible insensitive ass or at least usually at some point gets yelled at by Felicity for being horrible even if I don't agree.  

Yes, she has a series where Oliver has a service dog.  It gets to be too much at times. Her Oliver is incredibly fragile, which is not something I would ever describe show Oliver as. That man has an extreme level of mental fortitude. 

Generally the other characters are insensitive jerks who infantilize Oliver, and I think he's way too ok with that. Even her Felicity will arrange his life to her liking. Thea usually annoys me the most though because she's just so slow at grasping that her brother's not capable of taking care of her emotional needs. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

Yes, she has a series where Oliver has a service dog.  It gets to be too much at times. Her Oliver is incredibly fragile, which is not something I would ever describe show Oliver as. That man has an extreme level of mental fortitude. 

Generally the other characters are insensitive jerks who infantilize Oliver, and I think he's way too ok with that. Even her Felicity will arrange his life to her liking. Thea usually annoys me the most though because she's just so slow at grasping that her brother's not capable of taking care of her emotional needs. 

I was reading the latest fic with Oliver and his Service Dog and had no idea he was supposed to be The Hood. I was fine with it until I realized he was also supposed to be Arrow S1 (The Hood), I couldn't make the 2 work. I think it would have been better if she kept Oliver to PTSD and Service Dog, which is a unique fabric (to me) and left off the whole Vigilante stuff.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I was reading the latest fic with Oliver and his Service Dog and had no idea he was supposed to be The Hood. I was fine with it until I realized he was also supposed to be Arrow S1 (The Hood), I couldn't make the 2 work. I think it would have been better if she kept Oliver to PTSD and Service Dog, which is a unique fabric (to me) and left off the whole Vigilante stuff.

Yeah, I think I would like her stuff more of she went full AU and abandoned the vigilante thing. I want to like them, because who doesn't like stories about dogs?

3 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

Yeah, I think I would like her stuff more of she went full AU and abandoned the vigilante thing. I want to like them, because who doesn't like stories about dogs?

Yeah that was me. Oh a story about Oliver and his doggie best friend? I'm in! It wasn't until the end of chapter 1 of the Olicity dating fic that I even realized Oliver was The Hood. It didn't computer.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah that was me. Oh a story about Oliver and his doggie best friend? I'm in! It wasn't until the end of chapter 1 of the Olicity dating fic that I even realized Oliver was The Hood. It didn't computer.

It was the same with the bird fic. Oliver was the Hood but he couldn't read social cues, didn't even know what a dog or a cat was. It was bizarre characterization. Which is disappointing because the author is actually pretty good.

12 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

It was the same with the bird fic. Oliver was the Hood but he couldn't read social cues, didn't even know what a dog or a cat was. It was bizarre characterization. Which is disappointing because the author is actually pretty good.

She is good. Thus, why I keep reading her stuff. 

17 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

She is good and I like the fic it just caught me off guard that Oliver was The Hood  because it really didn't seem like he would be capable of it.

Guys general question!

If you were about to read a story would you like to be warned if your main character was going to die at the end?

Or would a vague "This won't have a happy ending" suffice?

I'm all for full disclosure as I would rather people not read than read and rage but is it too much to warn so and so is going to die?

14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys general question!

If you were about to read a story would you like to be warned if your main character was going to die at the end?

I'm all for full disclosure as I would rather people not read than read and rage but is it too much to warn so and so is going to die?

Yeah, I'm with @Morrigan2575 ... I'd like to know so I can skip it -- if it's someone I like.

• Love 1

I'd definitely want to know. Not even because I necessarily wouldn't read it but there have times in my life it would have been fine and others I wouldn't have been remotely okay reading it. About a month after my Dad died after a 4 day fight with cancer, a favorite author released a book where the big twist was one of the MCs was actually in the hospital with cancer. I wouldn't have ever been thrilled with the twist but at that point, it was devastating and while I still read the author, part of me has never forgiven her. Sorry for the depressing personal anecdote but that's what I'd worry about.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Not even because I necessarily wouldn't read it but there have times in my life it would have been fine and others I wouldn't have been remotely okay reading it.

This.  At this point in my life, there has been enough death and loss that I for escape, not for imaginary angst.  Even if it's an author I like, like MachaSWicket, I still won't read if a main character dies.  Also most authors who write about character death have never experienced the death of someone close so it's made up feelings. People who have experienced it often don't want to write about it, like my relatives who have been through the war are never willing to talk about what happened.

I'm sorry about your father @JamieLynn832002.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

That's what I was thinking too! And anyone reading it would be reading it because they WANT to read some sort of messy tragedy!

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that needs to be clearly labeled.  For myself, I can count on one hand the books/movies/TV shows that ended in tragedy that I actually enjoyed.  If I went into a fan fic that ended in unexpected tragedy, I would be pissed.  

5 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

I'd definitely want to know. Not even because I necessarily wouldn't read it but there have times in my life it would have been fine and others I wouldn't have been remotely okay reading it. About a month after my Dad died after a 4 day fight with cancer, a favorite author released a book where the big twist was one of the MCs was actually in the hospital with cancer. I wouldn't have ever been thrilled with the twist but at that point, it was devastating and while I still read the author, part of me has never forgiven her. Sorry for the depressing personal anecdote but that's what I'd worry about.

You very much have my sympathy.  I didn't end up losing my dad until years later, but back in high school during the time he had his heart attack, went into surgery, was touch and go in the hospital  and then for many weeks was home recovering, for a very long time every time someone even mentioned chest pains I got anxious.  Do you know how often people in TV and books and movies die of heart attacks?  Often just literally dropping dead.   I swear it's the go-to "simple" death.  It was inescapable, overwhelming, and I'm pretty sure cancer mentions and plots are nearly or equally as ubiquitous.     

Edited by BkWurm1
On 1/12/2018 at 11:49 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Guys general question!

I would definitely want to know (because then I wouldn't bother reading it, heh) - and as I read most of my fic on AO3 nowadays, I'd be pretty pissed off if the main character died and there wasn't 'main character death' as one of the tags.

In my own stuff I always include the tags, even though I usually select the 'choose not to use archive warnings' option - but then I warn in the tags. I warned for minor character death, I warned for cancer, and I warned for rape/noncon. I'm not in it to blindside people with stuff they might be triggered by.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Super cute! I love that Emily signed hers "MIT Class of '09."

that and DR signing "Oliver Don't", I like that Emily and David put some thought into their autographs and signed as if they were Felicity and Diggle. Not really impressed with SA but, what can you do.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2018 at 3:49 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Guys general question!

I think a this won't have a happy ending or the OTP will not end up together. Lets people who don't like tragedy avoid the fic without spoiling. 

Non sequitur: Alena! Ray's girlfriend should be Alena. Did I suggest that already? 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Non sequitur: Alena! Ray's girlfriend should be Alena. Did I suggest that already? 

Noooo you didn't!!! You suggested Dinah I think!

OMG I can actually picture a cute scene with him and Alena managing him.

But I already gave him twin girls (never disclosed who the wife was to buy myself more time to find him a wife)....you think she can be a mum of twins?

My other candidate is Zari who seems mature enough for twins.

But then anyone can have twins really...

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Ray and Alena would be awesome!  She's crazy-smart, and her edginess distinguishes her from Felicity (although they are a lot alike), which would be a great foil to Ray's unfailing cheerfulness.  Since she's Felicity's only in-show friend outside the Arrow team, I want good things for her.  Would Ray's romantic history with Felicity be too much of an ick factor?

(I realize that you're discussing Mellowyellow's fic, but now I want it for real!)

13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Noooo you didn't!!! You suggested Dinah I think!

OMG I can actually picture a cute scene with him and Alena managing him.

But I already gave him twin girls (never disclosed who the wife was to buy myself more time to find him a wife)....you think she can be a mum of twins?

My other candidate is Zari who seems mature enough for twins.

But then anyone can have twins really...

Ray is mature enough to be the help she'd need if she needed it. And in this AU Alena could have already matured more than what we've seen on the show.  Our Alena I think would be smart and capable of physically handling twins (as much as anyone can be before they actually have them) but I think she probably needs a bit of emotional maturity time to be able to commit her heart and be vulnerable with Ray and get to that place where she'd be emotionally ready for the husband and family.  The show left off with her declaring she was going to do some soul searching so she's halfway there already. 

Haha I went from wiffling waffling about his wife situation (at one point I was going to give up and have the mystery wife that never gets a name) to having head canons for my two candidates right now. 

You guys are the bestest *huggles*

I'm trying to find an old Olicity fic. 

I cant remember the author or even specific scenes, I just know it's different chapters of them sharing wine and the progression of their relationship.

Sound familiar to anyone?