Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I like the Felicity of the Asclepius series (and glad she's continuing it because she was only going to do s1 at first) but I think the character wouldn't work on the show.  She is the essence of Felicity with a dash of Sara and just as with Sara, I don't think there's enough of a contrast to Oliver to work on screen.

I'm also a fan of the 21 Guns series.  Even the last one where Oliver makes peace with his relationship with Laurel.

Also AU, and hitting some of the missing notes is More I Cannot Wish You by adiwriting.  It's a fic in which Oliver and Felicity grow up together and it's Moira's POV, trying to protect her son from lower class Felicity. It's something a bit different and well enough written.  My biggest problem with it is that Oliver was too emo but other than that, I enjoyed it.  There is a companion series with scene with Tommy and Felicity.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Also AU, and hitting some of the missing notes is More I Cannot Wish You by adiwriting.  It's a fic in which Oliver and Felicity grow up together and it's Moira's POV, trying to protect her son from lower class Felicity. It's something a bit different and well enough written.  My biggest problem with it is that Oliver was too emo but other than that, I enjoyed it.  There is a companion series with scene with Tommy and Felicity.

I like this one as well, especially the Moira centered fic.

• Love 1

Fics where Oliver and Felicity grow up together are another group that I shy away from.  I can handle ones that de-age them and they are just younger versions of themselves and then are impacted by knowing the other (though they can be hit or miss)  but I have issues in the ones where Felicity was friends with Oliver while he goes through his douchebag stage.   

That's another thing I can't read. Olicity childhood fics. I've got this head canon where he's a douche before her so if he grew up with her he can't be a douche and if he is then that messes up my expectations so I can't read it. 

Plus I love my head canon of how he's douchey or unable to commit until BOOM he meets her and she's "THE ONE" who changes his life and the one he can't live without. 

It's so interesting to find out what everyone loves to read or won't read though and we're so lucky we can find fics and writers to suit almost anyone's tastes. That's pretty awesome!

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

That's another thing I can't read. Olicity childhood fics. I've got this head canon where he's a douche before her so if he grew up with her he can't be a douche and if he is then that messes up my expectations so I can't read it. 

Plus I love my head canon of how he's douchey or unable to commit until BOOM he meets her and she's "THE ONE" who changes his life and the one he can't live without. 

It's so interesting to find out what everyone loves to read or won't read though and we're so lucky we can find fics and writers to suit almost anyone's tastes. That's pretty awesome!

I find this interesting, too.  There are three types of fics I don't usually like:  ones where Oliver doesn't go to the Island, fics where Oliver and Felicity are kids or high schoolers, and fics where Oliver and Felicity start by hating each other. And yet, one of my favorite fics combines all three tropes:  Crazy for You, by mogirl97. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I find this interesting, too.  There are three types of fics I don't usually like:  ones where Oliver doesn't go to the Island, fics where Oliver and Felicity are kids or high schoolers, and fics where Oliver and Felicity start by hating each other. And yet, one of my favorite fics combines all three tropes:  Crazy for You, by mogirl97. 

I liked that one too.

I always find fics that I enjoy even though they hit all of my "don't likes".  I can never explain it and always wonder why this fic but, I just accept it. ?

• Love 6
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this fic although it starts off with them in childhood (something I also shy away from). It really helps that it is very well-written. I did take a peek at the end so I knew to stop reading

Spoiler

after Felicity got pregnant. I just want to pretend that Moira, too, got her happy ending with her family.

• Love 1

I hated Moira a lot through the My Home series, but this chapter or More I Cannot Wish for You did a really great job explaining why she was the way she was. Since she was so unlikeable it really could’ve been a miss, but the author did a great job. 

Spoiler

Wish I’d had the sense to stop reading in the happy place. I don’t know why I thought her ending would be different here than in the show.

The whole series is great IMO - My Home is my favorite one, although

Spoiler

I thought half of the second part of it didn’t seem like it was part of the same story as the rest. I liked all of it, they just seemed like two chapters from somewhat different stories IMO.

As for fic preferences, the only thing I will flat-out not read is anything that is written in first person. Which only relates to Arrow fic for some reason, because I don’t have issue reading first person in any other fandom (or in published books). 

Edited by apinknightmare
9 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I liked that one too.

I always find fics that I enjoy even though they hit all of my "don't likes".  I can never explain it and always wonder why this fic but, I just accept it. ?

You guys sucked me in. It’s very cute, although I almost wish I had stopped before the bonus scenes. Nothing bad happens, for anyone who isn’t familiar with the fic, it’s just that the original multi-chapter feels more tightly written.

• Love 1

Oooh I haven't read "I thought you didn't dance" before. Really enjoyed it. 

The Mouse and the Mistletoe is one of my favourites!

I miss quiveringbunny. She was/is one of my favourite writers up there with somewhereelse. I love everything they write!

23 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Looks like Christmas time during season 3

Ahh thanks! That explains the Ray doll! 

Hee I love that three of the (previously) eligible bachelors of DCTV have all had crushes on her (well some more than a crush!).

18 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Ahh thanks! That explains the Ray doll! 

Hee I love that three of the (previously) eligible bachelors of DCTV have all had crushes on her (well some more than a crush!).

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I've never seen that either.  How cute.

I believe there are Oliver, Diggle and Roy versions, too. 

ebffe160b66006c2ed0b508fdf98566b--arrow-

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
to add artwork
  • Love 6
On 12/19/2017 at 11:10 PM, thegirlsleuth said:

Thanks. That was a fun look at who they might have been in another world.

On 12/19/2017 at 8:25 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

i tried it, I couldn't get past the firdt few chapters especially when the author tried to play it both ways. Oh Felicity is a street wise Dr but, LOOK she's also a tech genius that rebuilds old tech for her patients or to resell to raise funds!

She does rebuild tech but for the really hard things, she calls Oracle in Gotham City who teaches her how to do all that complicated hacking stuff.  I thought that was a nice touch.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:23 PM, Mellowyellow said:

I miss quiveringbunny. She was/is one of my favourite writers up there with somewhereelse. I love everything they write!

Ask and ye shall receive.  Making Merry.

• Love 1

There’s an Olicity series that only updates at Christmas. In the first fic Felicity and Oliver met at Oliver’s Christmas tree farm, and in the second Olicity were married and Thea sent Roy to hide out with Oliver. He was on the run for some reason I don’t remember. I really liked it, and I’m wondering if anyone knows if a new fic’s been posted or will be posted. I’ve been keeping an eye out on Ao3, but I haven’t seen it. 

This AU by somewhereelse is pretty cute, with Dig as POTUS (yes) and the assortd cast as his White House staff betting on when Secret Service agent Oliver and tecnical advisor Felicity will finally get their heads out their butts.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/13132602/chapters/30040788

Spoiler

My one complaint is that I could have done with about 20-30% less self-doubt on both ends.

It’s light and fun, I enjoyed the supporting characters’ text exchanges, and Oliver completely won me over with his frankness with Thea in chapter 2.

• Love 2

Need help!!!! Thought I'd post here because it is research for an update (and I can't find a better thread for it!). 

Last part of this clip. "We find the fence we find the Dodger."

Is the fence the person the Dodger uses to do his bidding?

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Need help!!!! Thought I'd post here because it is research for an update (and I can't find a better thread for it!). 

Last part of this clip. "We find the fence we find the Dodger."

Is the fence the person the Dodger uses to do his bidding?

Thank you in advance! 

The fence is the person who finds someone to buy the stuff the Dodger stole. 

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Anyone know where Oliver's love of socks comes from? I read a few holiday fics and they always talk about how Oliver loves socks. Is that from an episode? An interview? Or personal preference (I love getting Christmas socks)?

From 5x22 - The team is at Oliver's birthday party talking about what they are going to do while on a break, and Oliver said he was going to get socks because he needs them badly

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

From 5x22 - The team is at Oliver's birthday party talking about what they are going to do while on a break, and Oliver said he was going to get socks because he needs them badly

Thanks! I Remember that now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oh! Good I checked! Did they have a name for the person who he forces to do the stealing?

From the beginning of the episode? I believe it was a museum guard named Jerry. Sadly, I’m pretty sure I remember that because of fanfic and not the actual show. (Which probably means I could be wrong.)

Edited by Hiveminder
7 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oh! Good I checked! Did they have a name for the person who he forces to do the stealing?

2 hours ago, Hiveminder said:

From the beginning of the episode? I believe it was a museum guard named Jerry. Sadly, I’m pretty sure I remember that because of fanfic and not the actual show. (Which probably means I could be wrong.)

I check the transcript for the episode and yeah, Jerry is the name of the dude.  http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=10218

The transcript site doesn't' id who says what but you can still figure it out.  Here's the opening scene of the episode:

Jerry. Jerry, you ok?

Yeah.

You look a little peaked, man.

I'm fine. It's, uh, Mrs. Hill wants us to move the Sherwood into the vault.

Now? It's mid-day.

I know. She says it's a security threat. It's, uh, all the robberies lately.

[Chuckles] Right, right. [Beep] [Platform whirring]

[Grunts]

[Alarm sounding]

[Police radio chatter]

[Alarm continues]

Take this thing off me, all right? I got it like you asked. Here. Take it off me! [Beeping] Were--were you-- were you bluffing? I mean, would the thing have detonated?

Violently. Don't worry, though. You did exactly as I asked, so it's just unconsciousness for you.

Unconscious? [Electricity zapping] [Thud]

The Dodger killed the fence when he felt that he was going to be cheated.  The fence took the ruby and then got squirrelly when it came to how much he would pay him, making some comments about the Dodger getting less than what was discussed and him being new to town so the Dodger killed the fence and took back the ruby but left witnesses alive to spread the word he wasn't to be trifled with.   Jerry survived stealing the ruby. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Indecent Proposal from BookofLife has finally updated! I usually don’t read WIPs because the delays in updates crush the momentum and this one is always delayed longer than most, but then after months-long stretches she’ll drop a mammoth update that takes hours to read and owns my soul. I’m still squicked by the premise but no one does inner Felicity monologues like her. 

8 hours ago, Trisha said:

Indecent Proposal from BookofLife has finally updated! I usually don’t read WIPs because the delays in updates crush the momentum and this one is always delayed longer than most, but then after months-long stretches she’ll drop a mammoth update that takes hours to read and owns my soul. I’m still squicked by the premise but no one does inner Felicity monologues like her. 

Is this one anything like the movie with Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson? Do Felicity and Slade actually have sex or is it more a blackmail thing?

There's a fic — Twelve Hours — that takes the premise of the movie but the author says she doesn't really follow the movie because she actually hasn't seen it. I haven't read it because this author is a bit of a hit or miss for me.

2 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

There's a fic — Twelve Hours — that takes the premise of the movie but the author says she doesn't really follow the movie because she actually hasn't seen it. I haven't read it because this author is a bit of a hit or miss for me.

I liked Twelve Hours and I didn't think it was as bad as all the warnings the author gave. If you tell me what would be a miss for you I can give you more info!

4 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Is this one anything like the movie with Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson? Do Felicity and Slade actually have sex or is it more a blackmail thing?

Nope, IP is basically a rewrite of S2 in which Slade decides to target Felicity. He ends up kidnapping her and torturing her repeatedly and tells her that if she tells anyone he'll hurt/kill Thea and William (whom Oliver doesn't yet know about). It took a LOT for me to get onboard with the idea that Felicity would keep it all to herself, but the writing really won me over. I just wish she'd split up her updates a bit more -- she'll go months without touching it and then drop 30k+ words at once, which is almost too overwhelming. 

If the premise is too intense, she also wrote an awesomely charged Oliver/Laurel and Tommy/Felicity pretend double date fic (still waiting for the final chapter). 

I enjoyed Twelve Hours. The author put a much bigger focus on consent and agency than the movie did.

Edited by Trisha
23 hours ago, Trisha said:

Generally I like her writing  (although I don't think she finished her previous s2 fic)  but I  just couldn't read that because

Spoiler

The idea that Felicity would agree to months of being tortured by Slade so that Oliver could be together with Sara is wrong on so many levels.

If she's moved past that part I'll start reading it again. And huge props to her for replying to my comment and trying to address my concerns.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If she's moved past that part I'll start reading it again. And huge props to her for replying to my comment and trying to address my concerns.

I think the latest chapter has shown more that 

Spoiler

Felicity did it to keep Oliver safe I think? and not so Oliver/Sara could be together. 

I was so squicked out by the premise but this change made it easier to swallow

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Yeah that was my original thought about why Felicity was doing it too but it’s actually because 

Spoiler

Slade told her that if she said anything or tried to stop him, he’d take Thea. He also found out about William and where he lives, told Felicity about the kid’s existence and threatened his and Samantha’s life if she did anything. There’s definitely a level of martyr-ness in Felicity with regards to her arrangement with Slade that rubbed me the wrong way at first, but I think the writer is doing a better job of explaining her actions now. And in the last chapter Oliver found out (not the full extent but he knows Slade has been torturing her) so I think we’re moving past that part and into the whys/retribution.

• Love 1

I just don't buy any premise that would have Felicity letting Slade torture her over an extended period of time no matter what the excuse.  Not trusting the team to help her or take away the leverage used against her seems wildly out of character.  (I didn't use spoiler quotes because that's nearly the synopsis written up for the story or at least is revealed in the first few paragraphs in chapter 1.) 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Not trusting the team to help her or take away the leverage used against her seems wildly out of character. 

Well this did sorta happen in season 5 when she worked with Helix behind the team's backs. However, considering this is a season 2 AU, it is less likely Felicity from season 2 wouldn't trust her team to help her...

Also to be fair, Felicity also wasn't being tortured by Helix like she was by Slade.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Well this did sorta happen in season 5 when she worked with Helix behind the team's backs. However, considering this is a season 2 AU, it is less likely Felicity from season 2 wouldn't trust her team to help her...

Also to be fair, Felicity also wasn't being tortured by Helix like she was by Slade.

The difference is that Felicity worked with Helix because she thought she could do more for the team tapping into their resources; she wasn't being forced to work with Helix.  There was no blackmail.  She decided not to share details of her working with a shadier group from Oliver and the team but she didn't feel she was in any kind of trouble (and actually they didn't do her wrong except for Cayden James not being who Alena thought he was)  It's the passively and willingly letting bad things happen to her and not asking for help even in the early seasons that keeps me from reading.  Felicity doesn't come off as a martyr to me.  She's too proactive IMO.  But I guess sometimes one has to accept a less than credible initial premise to then get to the good character reaction stuff.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

But I guess sometimes one has to accept a less than credible initial premise to then get to the good character reaction stuff.   

This is why I wasn't enjoying the fic too much until the latest chapter lmao the only reason why I stuck with this fic is because the writer is great... So imo the last chapter made it worth dredging through because I thought it was beautiful

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

This is why I wasn't enjoying the fic too much until the latest chapter lmao

Agreed -- the last chapter really helped me understand her reasoning more. And I think the author's take on Oliver and Felicity's interactions and inner thoughts make up for the wobbly premise.

I dunno, I think if you're reading AU you often have to accept that there may be some things that are OOC or are built on a questionable premise. Like Twelve Hours, which was mentioned earlier.  I enjoyed that fic but it literally had Oliver paying Felicity to sleep with him, knowing she was in a committed relationship -- and didn't do a lot to redeem him when it came to his initial proposition.  A lot of AUs I love actually to do Oliver dirty. 

Rumour Has It

Very good fic! This author is great! I always enjoy her stuff.

Anyone in a super ficcy mood these days during this break? I want to snuggle down to a good fic but I've read everything in the style that I like *whines*

I'm like two shakes from wanting to leave a "Pretty please update" comment on Quiveringbunny's new fic but I won't because it's bad form to hassle.

• Love 3

Nice. See, this is the type of S2 fic I can get into, just another outsider perspective at where they were then and how they came off to others. It's those where they actually get together in S2 that aren't satisfying to me. Man, I hope one of the remainding four chapters is Moira's.