Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Day 9: 5:00 PM-6:00 PM

President Heller tries to stop Margot from going through with any further attacks, while Jack and Kate race to save the life of a key player in the terror plot, and Jordan is ordered into the field on a perilious mission.

Jack Bauer in full effect. The 'Dammit!'s, the suspect torture (although the regret is new), the assault of innocent citizens. I love the classics.

I'm wondering if Jordan has been sent out because he is getting too close to our just-revealed mole.

Good guess. Not surprised Michael Wincott turned out to be a baddie, Chloe's going to be pissed.

Aw, Heller. You're heart's in the right place, but your head's up your ass.

• Love 1

I have seen the British parliament question and answer sections of the Prime Minister. This one is going to be roasted. Now that I think about it, that might be the actual end game here a parliament section like in SkyFall. All the big wigs in one place for the slaughter.

(edited)

Jack, you do care about my favorite random character this season: You bailed out Belcheck.

Though you did mess with Simone's short finger.  Old habits die hard.  Also, you totally sucker-punched that guy in the street.

Jordan: If he says "It's just a flesh wound" next week I will LOL.  Presently he is both the luckiest and unluckiest guy on this show; as I said before, he's in the mid-level CTU (or CIA) (fe)male tech role that, upon further review, has resulted in a very high number of eventual casualties.

Also, clearly Navarro is expecting whover these guys are to be able to kill Jordan, because otherwise sending him out on this little errand is like a giant neon sign saying "I wanted you to get killed."  You could have just pushed him down the stairs or into one of those giant wall gears or something.

It's basically impossible to evacuate a hospital in eight minutes (and usually people sit around wondering if it's a drill for at least five).  So... they didn't finish evacuating the hospital.  Showing Bloody Stump Woman was a little excessive maybe.

Variable Damage, as predicted: Some of the near-misses should have at least broken the windows on the car, flipped the car over, or just plain blown up the car anyway, but that didn't happen.  Also, wasn't the car a right-hand drive car when they were coming over and it became a left-hand drive car on the way out?

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 2

Good episode once again.

Jack "I shouldn't have done that."  I was waiting for "But I enjoy it so much" to follow.

Heller's plan here is proof why he shouldn't be president.

Jordan assassin was the worst shot imaginable.

It's laughable that the Russians are so outraged over Jack's actions considering what they got away with in Season 8.  But the Russian Deputy Minister has a pretty sweet mustache going.  The crappy assassin also seemed to be sporting a handlebar in the scene immediately before it.

Yeah, I'm glad Belcheck got free too.

I laughed at how excited Terror Son got when he thought he blew up his sister.

I thought drone missiles did more damage than that.  Still, it was a pretty sick sequence.

Yasmine must be hanging out with Behrooz now. 

Wondering if the Navarro moley plotline has some connection to the droney plotline. I suspect that Jordan will somehow hook up with Chloe and figure it all out. 

• Love 1
(edited)
It's laughable that the Russians are so outraged over Jack's actions considering what they got away with in Season 8.  But the Russian Deputy Minister has a pretty sweet mustache going.  The crappy assassin also seemed to be sporting a handlebar in the scene immediately before it.

The 24-verse seems to be a world where Jack and the USA are constantly dealing with "I can't get away wit' nuthin'!" while everyone else gets to do whatever they want.

I laughed at how excited Terror Son got when he thought he blew up his sister.

I think he's been playing a little too much [insert game of choice].  That or he's making up for years of pent-up sibling rivalry, because he also didn't react too negatively to the idea of blowing her up in the first place.

The guy who tried to kill Simone at the hospital did answer one question that I had last week, about how many people Margot had available to her in addition to/as part of the people at the house.  I'm a little annoyed by the development, though.  I'd like a season where each side starts off with a known and fixed number of minions, instead of having people show up at the beckoning of phone calls.

I'll admit I had a chuckle when Jack asked Kate to secure his bag while they were playing Musical Cars to escape the drone. "She must truly be the Chosen One, if he's entrusting her with the JackPack."

• Love 5

I loved hearing one of the classic 24 lines, "We are running out of time". Although this time it was said very calmly and not in the usual urgent shouted manner.

Great episode. Although hardly any Chloe. And sorry, but I can't bring myself to care an ounce about Jordan. Don't know what Navarro is up to, and I don't really care. It takes away from Jack.

And sorry, but I can't bring myself to care an ounce about Jordan. Don't know what Navarro is up to, and I don't really care. It takes away from Jack.

I'm trying to think of a previous occurrence where a subplot ran on its own for a while without being a main-plot complication or the setup for one.  Various Kim Bauer perils come to mind, though S1's were tied back to the main plot (or were time-killing filler), while S2's leaned more toward filler.  S3 had the Palmer Family Circus, which only really mattered in throwing a last-minute curveball that wasn't especially relevant to the main business.  After that it they stopped being subplots and mostly were just complications.

Here... I don't know.  It feels strange to have a totally-unrelated issue using up time during a shortened season, so the frame job story might serve as the back half of the day.  The problem being that, as mentioned, it feels irrelevant.  Kate cares about what happened to her husband, Jack might care about Kate, the audience cares about Jack, so the audience might care about Kate's husband and what's happening to Jordan.  On the other hand, there's old issues of Jack and Audrey and Jack and Chloe, possible new issues of Adrian and Chloe, and the looming issue of Jack and the Russians.  (Unless that last plotline just sits dormant for a while and then gets used as another instance of the last-minute surprise twist, but... 24 writers, you've done that before.  So.  Many.  Times.  Now.)  Compared to that, the issues surrounding Kate's never-before-seen husband aren't very interesting.

And if it does directly relate to the main plot somehow, my brain's gonna hurt.

I suppose I'm surprised that in a shortened season that's past the halfway point that they would actually throw so many balls into the air.

I have seen Jack Bauer kill people with his teeth. I have seen him torture people who were probably innocent. I have seen him shoot people first without ever getting around to the asking questions later part. Having said that, seeing him drop Simone in the hallway of the hospital was the most ruthless thing he's ever done.

I liked that Margot found out about Simone courtesy of an ambulance attendant who had no real idea what was going on. I much prefer that to the omniscient terrorists of 24's past.

Does this silly show actually mean to tell me that in the evacuation of a hospital no staff member would think to grab the traumatized child who is sitting there by herself? I thought there were supposed to be guards around her.

Speaking of that hospital, they have a funny definition of lockdown. That gunman went through a lot of unlocked doors before they caught up to him.

Jack's regret at torturing Simone in front of Kate read more to me like he was saying "too soon?"

• Love 2

It was odd how the first drone missile caused massive damage at the hospital, but all the subsequent ones fired at the car only had about a 10 foot wide circle of impact. Based on the latter ones, it's hard to see how the drones would be that much of a threat to the city.

Of course, if they had the impact of the first one, Jack would be lying in a pile of rubble.

(edited)

I admit to laughing when Jack dropped Simone in that hallway.

I wonder if that guy who owned the last car insurance covered drone strikes.

Edited by benteen
(edited)

Dammit count: Jack - 3, gunman - 1.

This show gets more and more ridiculous each week. The writers must laugh like lunatics as they come up with absurd, over the top ideas for each episode.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Exactly! I don't get how 3 of 4 missiles were so weak, only exploding like a grenade, if there were full yield Jack would have been dead at the first missile aimed at him..

I guess the missiles tremble in the presence of him..

How the Russian knew that the Chief of Staff forged Heller's signature again?

And also how Heller has a direct video link to Margot?

Various Kim Bauer perils come to mind, though S1's were tied back to the main plot (or were time-killing filler), while S2's leaned more toward filler

Who knows, they may yet encounter a cougar in the wilds of downtown London ?

(edited)
Aw, Heller. You're heart's in the right place, but your head's up your ass.

Heller's plan here is proof why he shouldn't be president.

Heller's apparent willingness to play along with Margot reminded me that in his two previous major appearances, his method of dealing with being used as a bargaining chip was basically "So long, suckers!"  The problem here being that he's now the President of the United States, and doing crazy things is frowned upon.

Exactly! I don't get how 3 of 4 missiles were so weak, only exploding like a grenade, if there were full yield Jack would have been dead at the first missile aimed at him..

I guess the missiles tremble in the presence of him..

How the Russian knew that the Chief of Staff forged Heller's signature again?

And also how Heller has a direct video link to Margot?

The missiles are following the age-old convention that weapons will dramatically drop in effectiveness when aimed at main characters.

Awesome Facial Hair Russian guy was shown Taking A Significant Look at Heller's signature in the last episode.  I think he just made a logical leap based on the rendition papers suddenly appearing out of the blue, followed by being retracted just as quickly, coupled with Mark's unwillingness to let Heller get directly involved in something that Heller ostensibly signed off on.  The odd part is his knowing about the relationship between Jack and Audrey, since that was an affair.  (Unless Audrey mentioned all of that to the Chinese and the Chinese put it up on the International Espionage Gossip Mill; alternatively he was just making another wild-ass-guess based on male behavior patterns when another man is involved.)

Back to Navarro/Kate's husband/Adrian/Other People: As a small note, Adrian mentioning that "he's just the middleman" in this is suspicious, but if he is telling the truth, who would be pulling the strings?  A Chinese plot to scapegoat someone while protecting Navarro's place as the mole would make some sense.  I'm ruling out a connection with Margot, since Navarro has let Kate and Jack do more damage to Margot's plan than any other mole has ever done except for the very first time there was a mole, and that time was only because they picked the mole at the last minute.  There's still the Bigger Bad idea, but after all this time you'd figure that there would be a Bigger Bad that wouldn't have their large plots compromised by letting their smaller plots be unraveled.

...and if Adrian is actually a big bad with access to inept hitmen, why does he spend time hanging out in abandoned buildings with scruffy kids and no real security?  (Then again, if your hitmen are that inept, it might be a good idea to keep them away from you.)

I should add that nitpicks aside, this season is still reasonably satisfying.  The side plot's presence is still puzzling, but even with that there's a lot less of the fat that usually gummed up the flow of this show.

Despite some nitpicking, I'm really enjoying this season so far. I think the compressed timeframe helps, and I like taking the show off shore (I am a sucker for thrillers set in Europe, like the Bourne movies). It may also be that the break since the last iteration of 24 reinvigorated my interest.

I don't know how this is doing in the ratings, but I wonder if they might bring it back next year? Or is it just a one-off?

I don't know why it bothers me, but every time Heller gets on the phone and summons the PM like he's his secretary, I'm irritated.  I'm sure people in the UK just love this show.  They called Tony Blair, "Bush's Poodle", what would they call this fictional PM?  It's just so rude to stomp all over England expecting them to mind their own business.

Jack has tortured skinny white girls before.  I don't remember the season, but there was the blonde sister of another blonde that Jack was acquainted with.  The sister was secretly a terrorist, and when she was shot not only did Jack delay her treatment, her pushed on her wound to get her to talk.  I'm a bit more sympathetic to Simone since her mother is Medea, but the actress is pretty weak - she always looks on the verge of a smile.

Every time someone posts the name "Kim" I fear she's going to show up.  I've never wished for a character's death as hard as wished for Kim's.  Having said that, couldn't there be one throw away line (perhaps from Jack to Chloe or Audrey) saying Kim's alive and well?  I hate her, but Jack is not supposed to.

Why didn't the Sky News Channel's Breaking News include the other missiles hitting London's roads in addition to the one which hit the hospital?

In the other thread I called Wembley as one of the drone targets and according to the trailer it's featured in the next episode. Damn, I scare myself. Next stop, Waterloo Station!

I gather the finale completed shooting in Southampton last week.

Having said that, couldn't there be one throw away line (perhaps from Jack to Chloe or Audrey) saying Kim's alive and well?  I hate her, but Jack is not supposed to.

They mentioned in the season premiere Kim had another baby, a boy.

I admit to laughing when Jack dropped Simone in that hallway.

I was cackling like a damn hyena during that scene.

Also when Jack  casually smashed that guy's face, then carjacked him. 

Never realized how much I truly missed Bauer and how he has NFTG.

• Love 4

Maybe it's just me, but there were a couple of things I found exasperating in this otherwise enjoyable episode:

- that Yasmine seemed to be left unattended at the hospital most of the time. Maybe she was being guarded, but if so it was so offscreen as to seem not to be happening from the viewer's standpoint. And with Kareem lurking around, it was just frustrating.

- I'm no expert on drones and their imaging technology, but didn't it seem a little too easy, amid all that chaos, for Margot and Son to spot Jack and Co. getting into their car? How about being able to see that they weren't in the decoy car coming out from under the bridge? Technology is awesome and all, but that seemed to be stretching things.

And on that note, I kept shouting at Jack to get that car somewhere other than out in the open. It seemed to take forever to find that overpass.

For the briefest of brief moments, when Prez and Mom of the Year started their video chat, I expected him to say "Hey Hon, it's all going exactly as planned."

• Love 3
that Yasmine seemed to be left unattended at the hospital most of the time. Maybe she was being guarded, but if so it was so offscreen as to seem not to be happening from the viewer's standpoint. And with Kareem lurking around, it was just frustrating.
There was a policeman just outside Yasmin's door.  Kate had to show her credentials before going in to talk to her the first time.  When Kate came back and asked where Yasmin was, it appeared she was unguarded, but I chalk that up to the panic/confusion in the wake of the evacuation order and the fire alarm that Kate pulled.  But I agree, as soon as that order was issued, an officer should have grabbed Yasmin.

When Margot issued the kill order on Simone, Ian seemed aghast.  But then he seemed gleeful when he thought he killed her.  Or was he just proud of himself for making that tough shot?

I don't know why it bothers me, but every time Heller gets on the phone and summons the PM like he's his secretary, I'm irritated.  I'm sure people in the UK just love this show.  They called Tony Blair, "Bush's Poodle", what would they call this fictional PM?  It's just so rude to stomp all over England expecting them to mind their own business.

And when Jack was yelling at the MI5 agents for screwing up his operation, I wished someone had reminded Jack whose country he was in.  (Even though they did screw up the operation.)

They seem to be make a grand effort to make sure to include everything in this shortened season - a mole, torture, incredibly close calls, chase scenes (of sorts), and all the main 24 opponents are represented - Russia, China, and the Middle East.  I am assuming, that the mole subplot will have something to do with China, since the husband was convicted of selling secrets to China. 

I like how Jack is getting in touch with his emotions - "I probably shouldn't have tortured her, but I just hate them so much."  It was like he was acknowledging that sometimes he hurts people because he doesn't like them. 

• Love 1
(edited)

They seem to be make a grand effort to make sure to include everything in this shortened season - a mole, torture, incredibly close calls, chase scenes (of sorts), and all the main 24 opponents are represented - Russia, China, and the Middle East.  I am assuming, that the mole subplot will have something to do with China, since the husband was convicted of selling secrets to China. 

I like how Jack is getting in touch with his emotions - "I probably shouldn't have tortured her, but I just hate them so much."  It was like he was acknowledging that sometimes he hurts people because he doesn't like them. 

The pesky-conscience-popping-up aspect of the second topic is almost funny after all this time.  When he demands of the CIA guy at the beginning "What did you do to her?" regarding Chloe, it comes more out of concern and anger than actually needing to know, considering all the things he's done on the fly for CTU, and how he pumped his own brother full of stuff.  The sort-of-apology to Kate is also funny in light of how Kate seems to be totally willing to do anything that Jack would have done in a similar situation, but maybe Jack just thinks that she's not quite as far gone as he is.

The first topic: Yep, they're hitting all of the high points.  That actually makes me wonder about the wrapup, because short of straight-up killing Jack, everything else has been done with regard to captured/faked death/on the run.  Killing other important characters to mess with Jack has also been done.  (Considering the identity of the only real long-runner remaining that hasn't already been killed, that might piss off the fanbase more than killing Jack would.)

Ian's reaction to blowing up Simone is exactly how many gamers would react to making a tricky frag, which is a viewpoint that has come up regarding the real-world drone war's effects.  (Though in reality the dissociation of pilot to target has given real drone pilots significant problems with mental stress, since they do know that they're not playing a game.)

Excellent and fun episode but as mentioned before, the change in payload damage was annoying and the first car switch out in the open took way too long. The drone should've got them there.

(edited)

I guess TPTB thought they ought to double down on the whole mole plot since the CIA chief and hacktivist-in-chief turned out to be traitors to their side (it'd be great if it turned out that Lady Stark and President Heller were traitors to their cause too - they could all meet up at the end and go "Wait, so you were working for my side and I was working for them, except they thought they were working against you - so you win?" "Well, kinda - it depends whether you go by secret agendas or real agendas - besides, you lose points for killing your own guys.").

Who exactly called Chloe? Somebody had to let on the cops were on their way and it seems unlikely it was the Hacktivist-in-Chief (since Chloe is now revealed to be working against him). Was it somebody from the CIA (if so, why?). Or somebody from the British Government (again, why)?

Navarro seems to have the most incompetent minions ever (which is going it some on 24!) - wouldn't it be better to plant a bomb on the boat and then blow it up once he's got inside? Or actually turn up for a "meeting" and then pull a gun if they want something a bit more subtle?

Dwmarch I liked that Margot found out about Simone courtesy of an ambulance attendant who had no real idea what was going on.

That struck me as (for once) an entirely believable scene - and Lady Stark got out of it without giving away that she had other reasons for enquiring about her daughter.

RedheadZombie I don't know why it bothers me, but every time Heller gets on the phone and summons the PM like he's his secretary, I'm irritated. I'm sure people in the UK just love this show.

Darn straight! Dunno how Stephen Fry ever got elected in the first place. Well, Stephen Fry's character, at any rate - Stephen Fry himself would have a better chance of getting elected (he's a "National Treasure"). Which begs the question - why didn't they make Kate an MI5 Operative? It would make the whole "How come the CIA are operating with impunity in the UK without any cover?" less of a problem (and YS is an Australian in any case, so it's not like they object to a non-American lead) while making the PM less of a doormat when it comes to allowing Jack to run riot around London. Of course, that might make it hard if Kiefer wants to give up the role to pass the torch (Pass the JackPack?) to Kate, if she wasn't an American agent.

Benteen I thought drone missiles did more damage than that.

It definitely depends who they're firing on - when attacking a mansion, a missile can total the place. When attacking a car - it leaves a pothole in the road (I suppose you could argue they have larger and smaller missiles, but where's the fun in that?). Of course, you'd think Jack would take the obvious step of getting under cover - even if there are a lack of tunnels or overpasses he could drive into a subterran car park, pedestrian underpass or underground (subway) entrance.

OttoDBusDriver Who knows, they may yet encounter a cougar in the wilds of downtown London ?

Oh yeah, they're a real menace!

Edited by John Potts

I had totally forgotten about the Chinese being responsible for the Audrey mind-fork.  Could she be some sort of Manchurian Candidate behind the stolen secrets?  Anything to get away from Chief of Staff ButtPaste for a while!

Is it just me, or does Jordan bear a strong resemblance to Milo from previous seasons?

The Russian diplomat had some really creative facial hair going on.  It was like a mustache with a soulless patch that went all the way around his mouth.

Jack "I shouldn't have done that."  I was waiting for "But I enjoy it so much" to follow.
I'll admit I had a chuckle when Jack asked Kate to secure his bag while they were playing Musical Cars to escape the drone. "She must truly be the Chosen One, if he's entrusting her with the JackPack."

Ha!  Funny forum.

I liked the whole hospital exit/Musical Cars sequence.  Although I knew I was being manipulated, I enjoyed seeing Kate go back for the girl.  I also thought the Jack-causes-Simone-pain scene was sort of refreshing, in that it didn't get him anywhere.  Unlike others, I thought Kate was on the fence about it.  I thought she gave Jack a bit of a wordless "did you have to go there?" stare, which was far more fun than having her land squarely on one side or the other.

I also liked Margot's portrayal, for the first time, this episode - she finally seemed more human, less automaton.  TerrorSon is starting to be played as a guy who is truly creepy.  He'd actually make an interesting character if they explored why he is the way he is.  (I'm sure he'll be forgotten.)  Whatever spark of interest the characters managed to ignite for me, however, was completely squandered when they promptly used up all their available missiles targeting Simone.  That was so utterly ridiculous, my disbelief made a disbelief shaped hole in the floor, it became un-suspended so quickly.  (Dis-spended?  Re-non-suspended?)

I still love Kate.  I also am beginning to like the Jordan/Navarro subplot, if only for the comic relief of Jordan trucking along, doing all the normal CTU things and basically morphing himself into a super-spy without anyone paying him much attention.  When he pulled himself out of the river, I grinned pretty hard.  I am waiting for him to hot wire a car and get himself a clean phone next.

Off to the next episode!