Type keyword(s) to search

Wheel Of Fortune - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Wow!  I figured the guy had it just at the buzzer and I'm glad they gave it to him tonight.  Good job show.

I thought he was way past the buzzer but I’m still glad they gave it to him. Because that’s about when I got it, and I totally thought I deserved the credit!

• LOL 4

I’m not a huge fan but my husband loves this show. Anyhoo, I keep wondering why they don’t raise the wheel up since everyone has such an awkward time spinning the damn thing. Possibly because I do ergonomic assessments but it looks so torturous. 

• Love 5
On 3/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I thought he was way past the buzzer but I’m still glad they gave it to him. Because that’s about when I got it, and I totally thought I deserved the credit!

I thought he was way past the buzzer and was super surprised when Pat said they checked and he was in time to the point I thought I heard wrong or Pat was joking. I re-wound it to look again and the 2nd time he seemed even more past the buzzer!  I don't think they should have given to him.  Plenty of other people get the puzzle right after the buzzer and don't get the prize.  I don't think you should be awarded for whining.  

Thought it was very cool and generous that the guy that one the $145K last night donated all his winnings to to charities.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, I Want My MBTV said:

Thought it was very cool and generous that the guy that one the $145K last night donated all his winnings to to charities.

I thought that was so good of him.  He still had the trip to Puerto Rico.  I doubt that he needed that money, since he lives in Encino, an upscale area of the San Fernando Valley.

• Love 1

Quite taken with Chandler from tonight's show. What a giddy delight she was!

Twitter loves her too, apparently XD

Edited by tracyscott76
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

Has anyone ever won the million dollar prize?

I have seen the million dollars put on the little wheel a couple of times, but I have never seen anyone spin and land on it.

On the 4/14 episode, those two words in the bonus round were ridiculously long.

I saw what I think was the first million dollar winner.....my husband and I were watching randomly and it all went right. It’s super hard to get the stars to align for this. 

• Useful 1

Someone once spun the million on the bonus wheel but they didn't win. And I think it was one where they figured it out just after the buzzer so it was extra heartbreaking.

I think 3 people have actually won it since they introduced it.

• Useful 1

Whoa, did anyone else see the final puzzle tonight?  After the player called all the letters, the puzzle was still very non-obvious (to me).  Pat said something like “quite frankly, I’m glad it’s you up there and not me”. The solution?  “Quite frankly”. I didn’t catch it; Pat & Vanna talked about it when they came back from the break. 

• Love 2
On 4/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Whoa, did anyone else see the final puzzle tonight?  After the player called all the letters, the puzzle was still very non-obvious (to me).  Pat said something like “quite frankly, I’m glad it’s you up there and not me”. The solution?  “Quite frankly”. I didn’t catch it; Pat & Vanna talked about it when they came back from the break. 

I had that as the answer before the contestant called their own letters. Didn't notice Pat saying it.

• Love 1

So on Wheel of Fortune tonight, one contestant got every puzzle, including the toss-ups (unfortunately didn't get the bonus round puzzle). And it wasn't a situation where she solved them almost instantaneously without giving the others a chance to spin...they had their chances and either guessed wrong or landed on Bankrupt or what have you.

But on Twitter, there were people complaining that she didn't give them a chance, that it "pisses me off" when this happens, that she was cocky, greedy, unlikeable, probably rich and doesn't even need the money when the other two do, etc. I've seen this kind of thing before when one person dominates and I just don't get it. Yeah, it might be nice to "let" someone else win something, but with the possibility that Pat's final spin could net $4500 per letter or something, you've got to go for it. If the others have bad luck or make dumb guesses, that's their problem.

Am I alone here?

Not at all.   It's participation award culture.   "Everybody deserves to win something!"   "Sharing is caring!"    No, it's a game.   The object is to win.  The object is not to let other players feel better about themselves.   the notion that you should intentionally call a wrong letter to give someone else a chance or not ring in when you know it because you already won two rounds is laughable to me.  Maybe it's luck.  Maybe she's just good.   Or maybe the other players are just that bad.   Whatever it is, that's the game.  

My mind also boggles at comments like "she's probably already rich"   Like, seriously?   And that's based on her winning a lot?  Because why?  So the other two players are poor and downtrodden?  Based on what?   That "deserving" crap is bad enough in shows like Survivor or Big Brother where there's a social element.  But it's so completely irrelevant in a simple game show like this.  

• Love 4

My wife gets annoyed when one person wins everything.   Just likes to see the winnings spread around.  

On this one though the guy in the middle was just awful and missed two easy ones, including the prize puzzle I believe. 

• Useful 1

Okay, I’m a little dumb. Some may say a lot dumb but what the hell is FIG BAR?!?! A bar with fig newtons? A granola bar. I’ve never heard the term FIG BAR. BTW! I guessed BIG BAR. I told you I was dumb. Be gentle. I hurt easily. LOL!!!

Wow: did anyone see tonight's winner?!  I think its the biggest prize ever given away on "Wheel".  The lady won a home in the Margaritaville resort in Florida worth(I think) $375,000!  The puzzle was a fairly hard one(I thought), Even Pat & Vanna seemed shocked that she won.

2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Wow: did anyone see tonight's winner?!  I think its the biggest prize ever given away on "Wheel".  The lady won a home in the Margaritaville resort in Florida worth(I think) $375,000!  The puzzle was a fairly hard one(I thought), Even Pat & Vanna seemed shocked that she won.

Yes, very exciting for her.

• Love 1

I was watching Wheel last night, and I was fixated on the dress contestant #1 was wearing. It looked like a very fitted black knit dress with pleated black pleather inserts over each breast, tied in the center to form a very big pleather bow. 

Even my husband, who never pays any attention to clothes, commented on what a strange choice that dress was to wear on television (or even in public). 

Anyway, she ended up in third place. If she had won, she might consider that her lucky dress. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I was watching Wheel last night, and I was fixated on the dress contestant #1 was wearing. It looked like a very fitted black knit dress with pleated black pleather inserts over each breast, tied in the center to form a very big pleather bow. 

Even my husband, who never pays any attention to clothes, commented on what a strange choice that dress was to wear on television (or even in public). 

Anyway, she ended up in third place. If she had won, she might consider that her lucky dress. 

THANK YOU!  I was just coming here to post similar thoughts.  Is this in fashion now? I thought it looked ridiculous

• Love 1

My wife and I both hated that dress too. So weird and distracting a big bow over her breasts.  

Also said she was a marriage counselor but made it sound like she wasn't married to her lifelong significant other or however she said it

My wife won't watch if she doesn't like any of the three contestants.  Last night was one of those times.  Fast forward thru it all

(edited)

That contestant with the weird bow outfit was a phony and full of herself. Marriage counselor! Glad she didn't win.

1 minute ago, rcc said:

Edited by rcc
5 minutes ago, Lilac2000 said:

Is a Blown-Out Flip-Flop a common "What are You Wearing???

LOL.  Only if you’re a fan of  Jimmy  Buffett (who figured prominently in the clues and prizes for this game).

• Useful 1

I was extremely annoyed by the contestant a couple days ago who, while singing the praises of his wife said she was a "full time stay at home mom" and a had a full time work from home job and was a full time student in a masters program. You can be the latter two concurrently, but being either of the latter two contradicts the first. If you're working from home and/or schooling from home, even if your children are in the house, you should not be the primary childcare provider all day. And even if you are (for reasons other than pandemic), you're not a stay at home mom. You're a mom who works from home. Grrr! Spreading misinfo about how WFH works.

....this may be a peeve of mine....

Tonight’s contestant was on the ‘express’ method of solving the puzzle which was Colorful Architecture. She bought all the vowels, called a couple of consonants (at $1000 each) then just abruptly solved the puzzle! She could’ve gotten so much more money by just calling out the letters that she obviously knew! I was aghast that she passed up on getting more money! Do they not check out these people before they become contestants? SMH.  

• Love 2

My God she pissed me off with that crap.  I love the Express wedge and it gets landed on far too infrequently for me.  So when someone finally lands on AND there's more than a couple of letters left and they have the opportunity to really clean up and they act like a complete moron, it really pisses me off.  "I wanted to solve it before something stupid came out of my mouth". Too late dear, too late. 

• Love 2

Not impressed with Pat after watching the beginning of tonight’s episode (9/13). One contestant had a somewhat long, unusual name, and Pat made huge fun of it and finally said “I give up”. Pat you have one job!  Fortunately the contestant was a good sport about it, so maybe it was a rehearsed bit. Still left a bad taste. 

• Love 4

“Teacher’s Week “?  Geez, I hope there’s not more than one English teacher. 

ETA Pat tried to explain to reasoning behind it but I’m not buying it. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
New info
23 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

“Teacher’s Week “?  Geez, I hope there’s not more than one English teacher. 

Apparently they've gotten an earful about this, because Pat addressed it at the end of tonight's show. He compared it to the way "Father's Day" is written - a singular form, but celebrating many fathers. He acknowledged that they could have used "Teachers' Week", but said this was the way they chose to do it. So that's fair enough, I think.

I don’t often pay too much attention to Wheel, but tonight’s final puzzle bugged me. The contestant got all the words, in the right order, with no wrong words in between, before the buzzer, but she was ruled incorrect because of too long a pause?  Not liking that. 

17 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t often pay too much attention to Wheel, but tonight’s final puzzle bugged me. The contestant got all the words, in the right order, with no wrong words in between, before the buzzer, but she was ruled incorrect because of too long a pause?  Not liking that. 

I saw that!  It was ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I saw that!  It was ridiculous.

I know! And Pat blamed it on “the rules”. Why have I never heard that particular rule before?  As I told my husband, good thing I’m not on twitter. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I know! And Pat blamed it on “the rules”. Why have I never heard that particular rule before?  As I told my husband, good thing I’m not on twitter. 

All game shows have a list of rules they go over with all contestants during filming.  They are not obligated to tell viewers about each and every one of them.  I've been on a game show - Jeopardy - so I know that are many things which are discussed with contestants which are not revealed to viewers.  Pat literally said "as you know" to the contestant which means that particular rule had been made clear backstage before that day's games were filmed.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

All game shows have a list of rules they go over with all contestants during filming.  They are not obligated to tell viewers about each and every one of them.  I've been on a game show - Jeopardy - so I know that are many things which are discussed with contestants which are not revealed to viewers.  Pat literally said "as you know" to the contestant which means that particular rule had been made clear backstage before that day's games were filmed.

I don't doubt what you're saying is true.  It's just that, as a viewer, I found it jarring to learn about this rule that I had never heard of in several decades of on-and-off watching.  It's like when a show has that character or location that nobody ever mentioned before, but suddenly pops up to moves the plot along.  The "don't add any words to crossword puzzles" rule has come up a few times recently, but not this one (to the best of my memory).  I wonder what else is out there...?

• Love 2

Did anyone catch the bit after Monday's final spin? Pat informed the contestants that vowels would be worth [x bonus amount] while consonants would be worth nothing. Was surprised he didn't get ribbed over it, Vanna deserves a chance to do the teasing now and again.