Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm always suspicious of the beach renos these days, and the regular HHReno. edition has had a lot that reno a house, and then rent it out immediately.    This episode might have been legit, but I'm getting more cynical about many of the shows now.     Plus, if you intend to manage it yourself as a rental, buying and redoing something where you already live is a great idea.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Mathews, VA: I really loved that reno. I liked seeing the couple and his dad doing a large % of the work. Also loved that the cabinets were painted and not just ripped out and tossed. The sea foam green and other colors were nice. Not just white and grey. The porches were awesome.

It was really funny.  My cable guide listed the Beachfront Renovation for last night as WV, instead of Washington.     That was an interesting renovation, but kind of generic.     I didn't like the girl's bunk beds though.   I wonder how practical the top bunk is long term?   The ceiling looked a little low there.  I had to laugh when the homeowner said they needed to fix the deck a little, since it was so shaky and rotten before,  I'm sure it was virtually all new.   It could have been a permitting issue if they admitted they were replacing the entire deck.  

I'm wondering how the walls, and ceiling in the garage/pickle ball court will be after a few games?   The ceiling seemed low to me for that purpose.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering how the walls, and ceiling in the garage/pickle ball court will be after a few games? 

Our Senior Center has a pickle ball court that's used daily. Ceiling looked fine to me.

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It was really funny.  My cable guide listed the Beachfront Renovation for last night as WV, instead of Washington.     That was an interesting renovation, but kind of generic.     I didn't like the girl's bunk beds though.   I wonder how practical the top bunk is long term?   The ceiling looked a little low there.  I had to laugh when the homeowner said they needed to fix the deck a little, since it was so shaky and rotten before,  I'm sure it was virtually all new.   It could have been a permitting issue if they admitted they were replacing the entire deck.  

I'm wondering how the walls, and ceiling in the garage/pickle ball court will be after a few games?   The ceiling seemed low to me for that purpose.  

Overall, it was a meh renovation. It looked more cosmetic which is fine but it didn’t wow me. The outdoor space will be nice in the summer. It was too bad that on the reveal day it was raining and looked a little chilly. The garage court thingy was a good idea for those rainy days but I agree the ceilings were low. I guess it’s doable for the kids when there’s nothing to do. Also, the net isn’t really a permanent fixture and it could be taken out and made into an extra room or bar area later down the road. I did like that their budget wasn’t totally outrageous and they only went over it by a couple of thousand. 

• Love 1

I guess they decided on bunk beds for rental potential. The two older girls were already teens so I can’t see them wanting bunk beds. I liked the outdoor fireplace.

I thought pickle ball (weird name) was a family past time for them the way the parents talked about it, so I was surprised that they didn’t know how to play. Guess the girls do.

12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The outdoor space will be nice in the summer. It was too bad that on the reveal day it was raining and looked a little chilly. 

My husband has family in Westport and we have property not too far from the beach (or the lighthouse they showed) and they were lucky they had so many work (filming) days where it WASN'T raining/chilly. Westport almost always has that marine layer and a sunny days are few and far between. You can be driving toward WP in the sun and as you approach you can see the cloud cover. 

Cute house, but the house next to it looked like it was pretty close. That'll always be a deal breaker for me. 

I agree that the Westport reno was pretty underwhelming!  I much prefer HHR over BBHR.  I can't take the kids coming in during the reveal commenting on how much they love the shiplap wall or the buyers friends raving about the white subway tile or the updated porch light!  They have to point out EVERY single change and it's just so fake!  And while I'm at it, I think the show is a bit fast and loose with the title beachFRONT.  I'll let it slide if they are a couple blocks away, but if they can't see the beach, they aren't beachfront.  If they have to drive to the beach, they aren't beachfront!

• Love 1
On 10/5/2018 at 8:24 AM, ForReal said:

On 10/5/2018 at 8:24 AM, ForReal said:

Don't know why the text doesn't appear but thanks for the response, ForReal.  (Sorry for the delay - haven't been on the website, recently.)

Edited by aguabella
On 10/8/2018 at 5:34 AM, Empress1 said:

Was there a new episode this week? My TiVo didn't record it.

I believe LA was the last HHR episode - new episode, anyway.  (They select only 3-4 locations / metro areas per season.)

On 10/4/2018 at 7:41 AM, laredhead said:

Meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.  In the most recent renovation episode, Aussies in California, I couldn't believe they removed a great storage cabinet in the powder room to replace it with a small one and left an open corner for the placement of pot plant.  I would have replaced the old cabinet with a long, updated one, with storage under it.  If you want a plant, put one on the counter top.  It's a powder room, and not going to be used for counter space.  One can never have enough storage in a house - IMO.  I think the new cabinet jammed in the corner next to open space made the room look unbalanced.

Uh, "pot plant" ???  Ok, "potted", lol.

We're like this, fingers entwined, on the storage issue, laredhead.  Never expected to say this but that home had more than enough or even far too much storage!  Or rooms that felt so disjointed with a crappy floor plan that they'd likely be used for storage.  Remember the "coffin" room?  Directly outside the 1/2 bath were stairs leading to a couple of basement rooms, IIRC.

I did disagree with their removal of the old, embedded medicine cabinet.  (They'll miss that.)  With towel racks and toilet, etc., I do believe the room was balanced.  Plus, the other floors and areas of that home were such a disaster, I believed they needed to maximize that small kitchen, living room, bath or great room floor. 

And, isn't this a chicken v. egg situation?  They didn't gut the cabinet in order to place the plant.  The plant was staging.

Tried (quickly) to find photos but couldn't locate them.  Sorry for the tardy response.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:41 AM, laredhead said:

Meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.  In the most recent renovation episode, Aussies in California, I couldn't believe they removed a great storage cabinet in the powder room to replace it with a small one and left an open corner for the placement of pot plant.  I would have replaced the old cabinet with a long, updated one, with storage under it.  If you want a plant, put one on the counter top.  It's a powder room, and not going to be used for counter space.  One can never have enough storage in a house - IMO.  I think the new cabinet jammed in the corner next to open space made the room look unbalanced.

Continued reply, sorry:

Anyway, here's the episode:                

The powder room reveal is around 41:00.

Not my fave reno but it's about the cheapest b/r reno possible.  My guess was big box vanity, cheap new mirror and the same toilet (new toilet seat).  Most people spring for a low-flow in a home that age.  (Perhaps the toilet had been previously changed out.)

Personally, I would have built in a floating vanity, across the width of the b/r and extended the window, too.  And, I might have remembered the towel rack (previous post) b/c it lacks one (!) unless it's behind the door and not visible on camera.  For their guests' convenience, they can place a small rack above the toilet to remain balanced.

Anyway, the idea is to make the home feel larger - or that floor feel larger.  They can further update it when funds become available.  Nice for them to have everything done on that floor, if I remember the floor plan correctly.

• Love 1

Okay, just started watching the St. Mary's County MD reno, 30 minutes from their house. Baloney on they're going to be using it. Probably rent or Airbnb. Just like the Chesapeake Beach, MD episode earlier this year.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Okay, just started watching the St. Mary's County MD reno, 30 minutes from their house. Baloney on they're going to be using it. Probably rent or Airbnb. Just like the Chesapeake Beach, MD episode earlier this year.

Would they really go to such expense ($135,000 reno budget) for a rental unit? If I spent that much money on a place I would be using it myself.

3 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Would they really go to such expense ($135,000 reno budget) for a rental unit? If I spent that much money on a place I would be using it myself.

Then move there. Their current home was 30 minutes away. I wouldn't buy a "beach house" that was 30 minutes away. I can see 1 or more hours away. 30 minutes is how long it takes me to get to Whole Foods.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

CA theatre renovation: The guy seemed nice, but Morticia was irritating. She sure liked her bordello (I’m using a polite term) red. I thought that banquette has garish. Didn’t like the dark cabinets either. What was the name of that theatre? I can’t remember and want to google it. The teal tile he found in the lobby under the paint was lovely.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

What was the name of that theatre? I can’t remember and want to google it.

I think it was BAY.  

Love your post...esp naming her Morticia.  And when she looked a certain way into the camera, she looked like post-surgery Hunter Tylo.

Edited by MsTree
left out a word
  • Love 6

St. Mary's would pay back the reno amount in a summer or two.   The places like that at the beach rent for thousands a week, and the extensive furnishings made to clear to me it was another rental property for weekly rental.     They were investors, and made a good return on investment with that place.      It was very obviously a week by week beach rental place, and I bet every couch in the place was a sleeper couch.     Lots of people live in St. Mary's and commute to D.C. or Baltimore, or telecommute a few days a week, so if it was for them to live in, they would have moved there permanently.   I bet if it was only for their use, then they would have done the construction, but not spent so much on furnishings, and beach theme finishes.     

The theater reno was interesting, but I wonder if they'll actually get any money out of commercial use for it, since the theater went belly up years ago.   My guess is that it will be used for fancy corporate product introductions, or the occasional wedding.       I hated the kitchen, and Morticia certainly was demanding for the person who probably put nothing into the project financially. 

• Love 2

The guy seemed nice, but Morticia was irritating.

@LittleIggy, that was exactly my first thought. Second thought: Addams Family décor. Third thought: Those were some scary soup coolers!

I wonder what these two have spent in plastic surgery and other procedures.

• Love 5

When I worked in Northern Virginia years ago, I knew one lady who commuted from the far west neck of Maryland, almost in Pennsylvania, and it was about two hours each way.   She had a regular carpool, and all of them had over night bags in their offices, and if the weather got bad, or they heard the road was blocked, they all stayed at the nearby luxury hotel.    She lived up there for years, and retired there. 

I knew another one who commuted from Annapolis to downtown D.C. too.     The wildest commute I ever heard of was a man who rented a house in Fredericksburg, and rode either a car pool or a commuter bus to central D.C., and it was about a five hour commute on many days.  

The worst commute though, was a man who took a D.C. job for his high three pension salary years, and was retiring after that, and had a home and family in Delaware.    He took the train to D.C. either on Sunday night or early Monday morning, and went home on Friday evening, and rented a room in D.C. during the week.   The money was worth it, but it was a lot of commitment to getting a much higher pension with the higher salary job for him.  

The girlfriend in the theater episode was pretty demanding of what the man should spend his money on, wasn't she?    She certainly did remind me of Morticia too.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, MsTree said:

I think it was BAY.  

Love your post...esp naming her Morticia.  And when she looked a certain way into the camera, she looked like post-surgery Hunter Tylo.

Yeah, Bay in Seal Beach. There are some articles about it.  I was glad they picked it instead of that ridiculous house; it's an interesting and worthwhile project.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, msmarjoribanks said:

Yeah, Bay in Seal Beach. There are some articles about it.  I was glad they picked it instead of that ridiculous house; it's an interesting and worthwhile project.

That house was so gaudy and overblown. For people with money and no taste.

• Love 3

Seal Beach:  $275k to renovate that apartment?!  Granted, they (she) chose a lot of expensive, and tacky, finishes, but still.   And it was only the kitchen, dining area and living room.  Why wasn't the bedroom and bathroom shown at the end?  The dining banquette was awful! Just awful!  I think if it was a normal height, it wouldn't have looked as bad.   Sadly, with all the money they spent, it looked like an updated whorehouse by the time it was completed!  I hope the husband is in charge of designing the theater.  

From what I have read, he purchased the theater back in 2016 and it's scheduled to open in the next month or so.   The theater will focus on art films and live entertainment.

On a vain note, they obviously both had work done.  He definitely had a much better surgeon than her!  Her injected lips were awful and the blood red lipstick made them look even worse!  Her botox and facelift made her look like she was going to melt!  If she stopped dying her hair such a harsh dark color and left her face alone, she would look a lot prettier.  

• Love 6
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

That house was so gaudy and overblown. For people with money and no taste.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that house was hideous. Liberace would have been like tone that shit down.

10 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Seal Beach:  $275k to renovate that apartment?!  Granted, they (she) chose a lot of expensive, and tacky, finishes, but still.   And it was only the kitchen, dining area and living room.  Why wasn't the bedroom and bathroom shown at the end?  The dining banquette was awful! Just awful!  I think if it was a normal height, it wouldn't have looked as bad.   Sadly, with all the money they spent, it looked like an updated whorehouse by the time it was completed!  I hope the husband is in charge of designing the theater.  

From what I have read, he purchased the theater back in 2016 and it's scheduled to open in the next month or so.   The theater will focus on art films and live entertainment.

On a vain note, they obviously both had work done.  He definitely had a much better surgeon than her!  Her injected lips were awful and the blood red lipstick made them look even worse!  Her botox and facelift made her look like she was going to melt!  If she stopped dying her hair such a harsh dark color and left her face alone, she would look a lot prettier.  

The cabinets were much too large for the space and made that tiny apartment look cramped and cluttered. Her fabric choices for the space screamed vampire bordello. Her face was so paralyzed from either too much Botox or a bad facelift that it gave her a really odd demeanor. When she talked about growing up in an oldVictorian I really thought she must be Wednesday Addams but Wednesday would have better taste.

• Love 6

The Bay sounds like a name for a soap. Anyhoo, the husband seemed very nice. I bet he was a stud back in the day. He’s still handsome. Then there’s Morticia. She really did look like her. The pouty lips and looking dead into the camera during the speaking head part. The renovation for theatre sounds interesting and I would like to see the completed product. As for, their main living quarters it was kind of ugly. I didn’t like the Wild, Wild, West red curtains. She had a certain taste that isn’t mine but if the husband is fine with it who am I to complain. 

Here’s more about a The Bay. 

https://baytheatre.com/

D87B42FB-A593-4080-9145-BCDA031F9A29.jpeg

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Morticia was referred to as the “girlfriend” not the wife.

That's correct! Her duck lips and faux fingernails were even more cringe-worthy than the real estate agent's furry false eyelashes. The whole show was such a train wreck that I couldn't stop watching it.

• Love 2

That apartment reno looked like the girlfriend - garish.  I was expecting more from people with unlimited funds.  The cabinets were too dark for me, but they were solid mahogany, so at least there was that.

I'm sorry we ddin't get to see the completed movie theater reno.   That was more interesting to me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, izabella said:

That apartment reno looked like the girlfriend - garish.  I was expecting more from people with unlimited funds.  The cabinets were too dark for me, but they were solid mahogany, so at least there was that.

I'm sorry we ddin't get to see the completed movie theater reno.   That was more interesting to me.

According to the article I read, it would be done in December, so maybe we'll get to see it after all.

• Love 2
On 5/12/2018 at 11:01 PM, rlc said:

On the season premier tonight, everytime the couple mentioned that they were living with her parents and looking forward to getting out, all I could think was not as much as her parents must want to you out. 

On 5/12/2018 at 11:59 PM, KLovestoShop said:

The Princess wife bugged me.  When she walked into the master bedroom of the third house, she said she'd never seen such a small bedroom.  I wanted to slap her and tell her to take her million dollar budget to New York and see what a small bedroom really is.  And her husband and his palm tree fetish was strange. 

On 5/13/2018 at 4:30 AM, Sbeetle said:

What drove me crazy is that this woman had no concept what true mid century architecture was. When she was complaining about the acid green kitchen cabinets, yes that color was horrid, but that was a true 1950s kitchen. My house was built in 1953 and has those exact cabinets and tile counters. Those cabinets are pure mahogany. And the third house? With the green slate floor and the limestone fireplace? I was thinking “Lady, you don’t deserve that house. Get out. Now.”

Everyone loves palm trees until they have one in their yard. You don’t get to enjoy the view. You only get the mess and a view of the trunk. I’ve had mine for 15 years. He can have it. 

On 5/13/2018 at 9:30 AM, Empress1 said:

CA wife needed a make-under. Her hair color was too brassy and her makeup didn't flatter her at all. The kitchen turned out reasonably well although I didn't like the counters. They kept saying how different the living room was, but it looked pretty similar to me, aside from the tile on the fireplace.

On 5/13/2018 at 10:32 AM, laredhead said:

Yes, the wife needed to educate herself on the differences in mid-century and mid-century modern.  Even MCM wouldn't have included some of the stuff she wanted to change.  My son bought a house built in 1952 that had that same shade of lime green linoleum kitchen counter tops and a battleship gray with lime green edging asbestos tile kitchen floor.  It's not a color or style for everyone, but it was used in the 50's which was mid-century.

When the designer pulled out the samples, I had already predicted the cabinets would be two colors and they would be gray and white with a white backsplash.  The matte black handles were a different choice instead of the gold/brass we have seen.

On 5/13/2018 at 12:29 PM, juliet73 said:

Studio City:  Again with the two tone kitchen cabinets and open shelving!  No brass, so that was a good thing.  I liked the new tile around the fireplace. but I didn't really see any other changes besides the dark accent wall.  I thought the living room furniture was a bit too big for the room.  I didn't like the wood wall in the master.  

The couple seemed nice   "Amazing" and "awesome" seemed to be their favorite words!  On vain note, the wife needs some purple shampoo to tone down her brassy hair color and a lot less eyeliner!  All that makeup aged her... a lot.  

Sorry for being late to the party, but  I just watched this episode. I don’t want to be mean but when she said she was 35, I was actually shocked. I pegged her for at least a decade older and it was all the fault of that hair color that really aged her. Also. for some reason she reminded me of Kim Kardashian when she spoke. I wonder if she was Armenian? The wife would probably  would be fairly attractive if she would tone down the hair and make up. I was impressed that she had the time to run a baking business and be a spin instructor in addition to being a lawyer.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

New Denver episode: I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! they chose white shaker cabinets in the kitchen./snark

And white subway tile! How innovative! ?BTW, the HH buzz word de jour I am sick of now is “clean.”

I knew they couldn’t do all that reno on a $30K budget.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

And white subway tile! How innovative! ?BTW, the HH buzz word de jour I am sick of now is “clean.”

I knew they couldn’t do all that reno on a $30K budget.

Yeah, the husband said he wanted something timeless but that kitchen is very 2010s. And I knew they'd go over budget. Also their first floor was really blinding white.

• Love 3

Not surprised they went way over budget. I didn't like the counters or the subway tile backsplash.  Agree with the husband it was too white! I still think they did a good job and were likeable.

• Love 2

Denver. I liked the husband. He seemed like a fun guy. The wife wasn’t horrible. I like white kitchens (which I don’t have) but I didn’t like theirs. I didn’t care for the Moroccan backsplash. Thank god they only did behind the stove. I didn’t like the wood island. It looked like 70’s paneling. The cabinets were the usual HGTV (white shaker) builder grade. The pendants were nice though. The fireplace was okay but seemed small in size. Add the window was a great idea. It really did let a lot light. Her DIY of her desk turned out nice. Like, I said I really like all white kitchens but something about their (the designer) version didn’t appeal to me. I’m not sure why though.

• Love 2

I didn't like the desk, because I don't think it makes the desk look antique, just old and in need of paint.     And how long will the paint stay on the desk, since they didn't sand the old finish off first?   My guess is that whenever the desk collides with something, it's going to show the brown paint again.   

I didn't like the all white kitchen, and think the brown island looked awful.    They should have had a subtle color of cabinet, like a light gray, and then it wouldn't look like a snow bank.  I also hate the two toned look where the island is a totally different finish from the other cabinets, or the top/bottom two toned, where the top and bottom cabinets are different colors.       I wonder how far they'll go over budget when they finish the basement?   My guess is they'll budget 50k and end up doubling that for high end finishes.  

And the house with the basement bedrooms, maybe the second one?   Those tiny basement windows require a window well, and egress window for bedroom use, like the kid using the egress on the third house demonstrated.     The window expansion to make them conforming bedrooms would be very expensive, so it's good that wasn't the house they picked.  

They could have saved a bundle on the kitchen by refacing the cabinets, adding an island that matched, and putting other cabinets on top of the current ones, with an updated soffit.      I bet it would have cost half of the reno budget, instead of ripping out good cabinets.    Then just replace the back splash, and counter tops, plus the sink, and maybe add a pantry cabinet or two.    It would have been a lot quicker than ripping out and redoing the entire kitchen.    Plus, who the heck is going to put stuff in the upper cabinets?     I had the 42" upper cabinets, and I needed a step ladder to put things on the top shelf, so they were more for seasonal items, not anything you actually used.    I bet the husband will get sick of having to get a step ladder, and put things in the top shelf of the cabinets.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
On 11/18/2018 at 1:12 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

They could have saved a bundle on the kitchen by refacing the cabinets, adding an island, and putting other cabinets on top of the current ones, with an updated soffit.      I bet it would have cost half of the reno budget, instead of ripping out good cabinets.    Then just replace the back splash, and counter tops, plus the sink, and maybe add a pantry cabinet or two.    It would have been a lot quicker than ripping out and redoing the entire kitchen.   

Agreed.

I didn't dislike either the husband or the wife, but as the husband said, the wife was really weirdly obsessed with the color white.  I admit that white kitchens are not my favorite, although I can appreciate some kitchens with white cabinets and like some primarily white countertops, but she seemed to just want everything to be white, white, white.

• Love 1

Just saw the episode in Brookline, Massachusetts. This couple renovated a $1.28m colonial house with a gorgeous wood fireplace. The husband wanted to keep the fireplace as is, but the wife and the designer thought the wood was "too dark" and wanted to paint the fireplace white... which he was not a fan of. 

And then the wife and her mother proceeded to paint the fireplace TURQUOISE.

This might have been one of the most horrifying things I've seen on this show.

• Love 6

I think the worst overall remodeling was the house in Buffalo, and both men were involved with historic renovations in some way, and kept talking about vintage and authentic.    They're the ones that had that huge bathroom concrete sink that was ugly, a lot of reclaimed wood that was ugly, and in contemporary patterns, and had some hideous linoleum pattern in the kitchen or bonus room or something near the kitchen.    The didn't do anything that wasn't a misdemeanor against good taste, and definitely any historic home lover would like.  

And the one last season in California with the Kardashian wannabe flipper, and her husband where they saved up money for the huge house they bought and rehabbed by flipping other houses for years, was awful.   She's the one that insisted on bling and chandeliers everywhere, and was dressed and fully made up like she was auditioning for her own show, and I think she was.  She's one of the few HH Reno people who was wearing full fake eyelashes all through the episode.  

I have to laugh at the people that take a cramped original kitchen, demand more storage, and then rip out good cabinets, and put in fewer cabinets and one of those useless banquettes with a square dining table, and have no where else to eat.     And the interwoven hexagonal floor tile, and wood floors are hideous to me. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Tonight's new episode-She dislikes the aluminum siding on the second house, and wants to put stucco on it in Massachusetts?    I hate her already.   Plus, the reason the first and second had the apartment style third floors is for the live-in nanny.   They could never be rented out, because they have no second method of fire egress, unless they think hanging out the window and screaming for help is an egress method.   

On another shallow note, the wife needs to get that red mole under her left nostril looked at, and removed.   It looks like her nose is bleeding.  

I can't imagine having a million dollar plus budget, and having to renovate too.   And on the third house, the second floor bath was true vintage, and redoing it is sacrilege.   

However, the preview showed marble counter tops and the brass or rose gold kitchen faucets, so I hate their taste anyway.  

I can't believe they're going to paint that authentic, vintage fire place white.   OMG!  Blaming her mother for painting the fireplace turquoise?    Unless she's my long lost sister, and we have the same mom, no way her mother would do that color without permission, only my mother would do that.   That's not turquoise, it's light blue, and looks awful.   Bad taste runs in her family.     Her husband seems to have learned to like her taste, because that fireplace looks terrible, and the mantle makes it look even worse.   

The kitchen is white, with marble counter tops, marble back splash, and they stained all of the floors super dark.   I hope she realizes she'll see every dust mote that hits the floor.    I hate the kitchen range too, and what an amazing coincidence, it is almost the shade of the fire place.     I hate painting the back of the cabinets blue too.       The kitchen island is awful, and too low to use for any cooking, unless you sit down, and chop food, and will be a total strain on your back to use, plus it doesn't match anything.   The island just doesn't fit the rest of the cabinets either.    Plus spending extra on brass/rose gold fixtures in the kitchen, and all on a $70k budget?     I've never liked the glass door cabinets either, because I bet she'll just use them to show off her fancy dishes, and that makes them useless for regular use.     In their place, I would have done the door to the dining room, and widened the other door, and not put the island there, and if  I needed extra prep space, then I would have put in a regular matching island that is a conventional height with a decent sized breakfast bar.      I noticed the 'accidental' fireplace color coordinated with all of her other choices, like the stove, the cabinet back paint, the rug in the family room, so there was a definite theme.      I'm just glad their pick wasn't the third house, because I'm sure they would have destroyed it too, and I really loved that one.  

The powder room, wallpaper and that tiny corner sink are hideous!     They only went $4k over their $70k budget, but that's only because the parents helped so much.  I can only imagine what other horrible updates she's going to inflict on that house.   Actually, I dislike her so much I hope she does put stucco Dryvit on the outside, and she can watch it crumble.    

They should have found a cook cutter new build,and have been able to pick the finishes,  with an open, white kitchen, hardwoods in the right color, and then not destroy that beautiful house.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

Wow, that turquoise fireplace was pretty hideous! That stove probably cost them $10k and I didn’t even like it. The island looked too dinky for those two chairs they had with it. The half bath—would be sick of the turquoise (again) wallpaper really fast and then they had to put in that tiny corner sink. Ughhh.

And a turquoise shaggy rug in the family room/living room area. That color does not belong in that house. 

• Love 6

Glad I’m not the only one who thought the neon turquoise fireplace was an abomination. Yeah, bitch, throw mom under the bus! As if she would have gone rogue and painted it on her own. 🙄 That stove was garish with the gold levers instead of normal dials. Where did it come from? I laughed at the turquoise wallpaper covered in the Napoleon gold bees motif. BTW, I agree about the wife’s red mole/birthmark. I had a similar one at my hairline and had it lasered off in the 80s. She could certainly afford to get it removed.

Guess the master suite will have to wait.

My favorite house was the third one. Which house had the dragon mural in the basement? That was a hoot! 😆

Is this the stove (not the color she picked)? It has those gold lever things.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hallman-24-in-2-4-cu-ft-Single-Oven-Italian-Gas-Range-with-True-Convection-4-Burners-LP-Gas-Brass-Trim-in-Blue-HGR24BSBULP/304507617?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D29A|MULTI|MULTI|NA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-JzPnNru3gIVCIezCh0nYg1rEAkYDSABEgKmTfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Love 2