Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

The surprise tub the husband added in the bathroom looked really small. I know that is all the space would allow for, but it looked micro and I wouldn't want to be sitting right next/eye level to the toilet. Did not like the kitchen backsplash, but that's just me.

A lot of us have no choice in that matter. Doesn’t bother me since nobody is using the toilet when I’m in the bath!

9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Originally a backsplash was 4-6 inches and was put in place to make it easier to clean any splashes during cooking, rather than scrub painted sheetrock. The backsplash continued to grow to the underside of the cabinets. Eventually designers brought the backsplash to the ceiling, especially behind the range/stove.

That was my point in asking the question. I hope most people don’t splash stuff up to the ceiling. 😆

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

The surprise tub the husband added in the bathroom looked really small. I know that is all the space would allow for, but it looked micro and I wouldn't want to be sitting right next/eye level to the toilet.

But on the toilet is where I set my little TV when I'm taking a recreational bath.  It's the perfect height and distance.

• LOL 1

I think the purpose of the high tile kitchen back splash is to add to the visual interest in the kitchen, as well as to protect the wall.   Unfortunately, totally white tile, with white grout doesn't do that for me.     It would have been so much more interesting to have a subtle color tile, or if white was something besides the scallops.   

They should have the designer lead them on a selection tour at the local tile store.   When I was shopping for my bathroom and kitchen back splash tile (no not to the ceiling), I must have stopped to look at the tile place at least 20 times.     There are hundreds of choices, and picking from one or two is ridiculous.    

I really liked the homeowners this time.    Many times I really don't.   I like that both of them did so much work themselves.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

LA: I thought the reno turned out nice. I won’t repeat my usual objection to the sacred “white kitchen.” At least they had the blue wall in the kitchen. That however leads me to another point: Couldn’t they have done a tile backsplash up to the range hood then painted the rest of the wall a matching blue? That would have saved a good bit of change, right? These dude spent $30K over budget (after paying $120K over the original asking price). Same for painting instead of tiling in the bathroom.

• Love 3

I have to hope that the realtor was fake because anyone else who thinks that front room on the third place was always a bedroom knows shit.

I think given the windows it would have looked like shit if they hadn’t done a full tile wall.

I love that the designer put in a pocket door instead of a stupid barn door.

The major problem on all levels was the dining/island area. It seriously pissed me off.

Their kid was adorable and their dog was awesomesauce. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I didn't like the kitchen. I don't care for the huge custom hood and no upper cabinets look. It looks unfinished. 

I liked the homeowners. They seemed like a fun couple. I want them to be my neighbors. Theo was super cute!

• Love 3

I didn't like the color of the tile wall in the kitchen.    It looked more gray than blue, and didn't coordinate with the cabinet/island color at all.    As others said, they could have painted the stove/hood wall, used tile only between the windows, and the height of the hood, and save a few thousand.    If they had used porcelain tile in both baths, and it was marble look, that would have saved a bundle, and wouldn't have needed sealing, or have to worry about staining.     

They could have removed the asbestos flooring for $3,000, and saved a ton on other finishes.    Someday, when they replace the flooring, that asbestos will be a huge issue, and I bet if there is anything involving floor repairs, that asbestos will make it a nightmare.      Thank heavens, no barn door for once.   

Did they get a commercial stove?   They could have had a residential model that looked similar, was the same size, and saved enough to redo the fence.      I can't believe how far above asking they went to buy the house, and that they went $30k over budget too.     I hated the wooden drawer and door pulls, and doubt they'll hold up that well either.  they could have done the contractor packs of knobs and handles, in a dark color, and would have saved a lot that way, and the metal knobs and pulls would last forever.  

The kid was adorable, and the dog was too.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I didn't like the kitchen. I don't care for the huge custom hood and no upper cabinets look. It looks unfinished.

With respect to the no upper cabinets--I would look at that kitchen and realize something's off, but maybe not be able to put my finger on it, but that would be it. 

I liked the homeowners. They seemed like a fun couple. I want them to be my neighbors.

Good lord, not me!  One of them started damn near every sentence with "I mean," which drives me insane. 

Theo was super cute!

There was something off to me about him.  Like the lack of upper cabinets--can't quite put my finger on it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

With respect to the no upper cabinets--I would look at that kitchen and realize something's off, but maybe not be able to put my finger on it, but that would be it. 

The stove wall was balanced/ not balanced

Yes, the 2 windows with stove in between  did give  symmetry, the pantry cabinet to the left(bathroom side) threw it all off for me.

Same for the  right side as well.

As for those doubting wooden knobs/handles - don't know about handles, but having past experience w/wooden  knobs....they hold up quite well.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1

That sure was a whole lot of tile on that wall. Jeez! Way too much. Like it was said above I would have done just the backsplash of the stove. I didn’t mind the tile size and color but there was just too much of it. They really would have saved a lot of money just painting the walls by the window. Now, you have two windows but no cabinets at the ready. Efficiency wise it was dumb planning. I didn’t care for the attached banquet to the island. The whole point of an island is that everyone can get around it. At least, that’s what I like about it. The couple was nice. I liked the shorter guy (Joseph..I believe) the most. He looked like a model but I don’t recall either of the professions of the pair. The backyard looked nice and shady. Overall, the kitchen renovation wasn’t one of my favorites. It looked unfinished. Maybe, in California that works. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Regarding last night's episode, I'm not usually a fan of gray and dark colors, but I was so happy to see a designer and clients who wanted something other than white Shaker style cabinets with white counters, and white subway tile for a backsplash.  I liked everything that the designer planned, except for the banquette, but that's a personal preference.  The homeowners liked it, and that's what's important.  This is one of the first renovations where I thought the brass hardware looked good on the cabinets, and I really like the slick surface of the bottom cabinet doors.  Finally, a mother who wants cleaning ease over looks.  She sounds practical.

I liked the give and take between the husband and wife, and there was no demanding on either one's part, and the final result was a nice compromise.  I did agree with the husband about that rock wall fireplace, and was glad to see it removed.  The end result was much sleeker and the mantle was size appropriate.  Too bad they had to wall off that coat closet again for fire code compliance, but the little time capsule was a good idea.  Love the black stainless, and that vent hood was pretty cool.  I thought it was worth spending the extra money to keep the open look.  The bathrooms both came out great (IMO), and I really liked that floor to ceiling storage cabinet with the mirrored door.  I don't like those raised bathroom sinks because I think they are hard to keep clean around the edges.  Again, that's a personal style preference.  

I hope they use that designer again, because she obviously has many design samples other than 50 shades of white.     

Edited by laredhead

The kitchen layout was a little weird, but I understand why they had to do it. If they had tried to completely rearrange it, it would have cost them a TON of money. At least it wasn’t all white. AND, they didn’t have any floating shelves!

• Love 2

It wasn't all white, but it went the opposite way.  It was all dark.  Too dark for my tastes.  I liked the green cabinets, but this is a place I would have used white counters.  The kitchen, the fireplace, it was all just too dark for me.  And she is going to hate those dark tiles in the shower, too, because they will show all the soap and water spots as a white film.  Yuck.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hated the bar tile, the wall tile, and the banquette.    At least this banquette had a square table, instead of the usual tiny round one, but it still looks more like a 50's diner to me, than a place to eat.  I thought the kitchen was way too dark, and would have looked so much better with all of the cabinets the same green, and the wall tile in a nice, coordinating color would have brightened things up so well.   I dislike the dark counters, and think a much lighter quartz would have been so much brighter, and wouldn't show every dust mote the way the dark ones will.

I agree about the dark bathroom tile, and the water spots, and everything else that gets on it will show so badly.     

The raised bathroom sinks are better than the vessel ones, but still aren't going to be easy to clean around.    They could have done the same look with under mount square sinks, and had zero problems with keeping it clean and dry, and had a little more counter space.  

I had to laugh when the wife said that they only went a little over budget with $15k extra, since that's 30% over budget.   I agree the outside paint look blah, and didn't need to be done right now.   Maybe they got a discount since the inside was being painted too, but I still think they could have painted it later by themselves.   I also think a lighter color would have been better.   I also didn't like the way the wife was snarking on the husband's color choice for the outside of the house either. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Switching it up from the usual white was nice but I thought it became too dark. I don’t know what the happy medium is though. The black stainless appliances is a new look which I already thought was out. Too funny! I’m glad they got rid of the rock wall. It was too 70’s and way ugly. The kitchen turned out okay. I’m still not into the whole wall of tile around the window. They did the same thing least week. I guess it’s the new thing. Overall, it was a good renovation and the couple wasn’t annoying. 

Off topic. I looked at a small house that was flipped and the kitchen was all white, it had white shaker style cabinets with stainless steel appliances and a mix of white & black waves granite countertops. I’m in love and might buy it. I’ve had oak cabinets for 20 years and I want new, new, new and more new. I think I deserve it. Don’t hate me. 

• Love 1

I liked the finished look but had my doubts as they made choices.  It was very cohesive throughout the house.  The cabinets had a good look with the grey.  And the grey was repeated in the fireplace and the bathrooms.  When you live in a small footprint doing that type of thing makes all of your space seem larger.

I think that the exterior of the house needed paint or the stucco would deteriorate. I know that the roof looked 1 month from needing repair.  But I also know a lot of handy folks that have done their own roofs.  

I would have chosen that house as well.  That is a lot of great space in the backyard. And it came with two bathrooms.

Another really cool piece was the flush mount vent which probably led to the two offset pendants instead of the three pendants symmetrically spaced over the peninsular.  It was a look I liked.

I need to tell a bunch of people about that flush mount.  Also I need that button in my shower.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Curious, would the flushmount vent create enough draw over standard/ lower?

I wondered if the refrigerator could have been turned towards the prep area.  I didn't like where it ended up.

Also,  I thought that  back area  was more of a natural location for a dining area - it would have kept the  actual prep/cooking/washing area tighter.

The fridge had the feel of it being in another room.

Edited by sheetmoss
12 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

I googled because I was interested and it seems it only works well if it’s four feet above the stove it could have been the way they filmed it but it looked like there was a larger distance than that. 

17 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

The code locally basically grandfathers you out of any venting if the house didn’t have it when built.  So I know people with gas stoves and no vent.  It seems fine and quite frankly that vent in the microwave that just recycles air isn’t that big an improvement.

• Love 1

I liked the latest episode and was so happy to see a kitchen that wasn't all white and gray like every other episode they show.  Note to designers:  Light gray is not a pop of color.  I loved the green cabinets and the fact there were no open shelves.  They seemed like a nice couple too.  Another thing I noticed when they went through the other houses was they didn't act like they were horrified to be in that house . So many of them get really nasty about other properties, put on their stink faces the minute they walk through the front door, and forget that real people own those homes.  It's also nice to see people walk into a room without yelling "Gut job" every single time.  I'm over the people who talk about nothing but how it will be a great house for dinner parties or entertaining.  To be honest I've seen some episodes where the "before" looked better than the "after".  

Does anyone know what these people do with all the vegetables and fruits they're always cutting up at the end of the show?  They're usually doing it by their chef quality stoves. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I really liked this kitchen. It actually was fairly unique ... as opposed to all those people with their white Shaker-white subway tile-carrara-marble/quartz kitchens that they proclaim as unique, but all look alike. It was a challenging house, but they fixed up many of the layout issues. They did the best with the kitchen that they could. It really was a coherent look throughout the house, which was smart. I liked the banquette (but I like them anyway); they're good in small houses. Free standing tables with separate chairs take up a lot of real estate.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Did they run out of HHR? No show tonight. A bunch of LIOLI shows...totally bored with those.

I'm so tired of all the LIOLI and Property Brothers shows. HGTV really needs to come up with something new and interesting. Glad to see a new season of Restored by the Fords is upcoming.

• Love 2
(edited)

Interesting episode.    I can't believe they picked that house, with the open fence, and wildlife coming through, but they did.    

I didn't like the finished kitchen, because the hardware, lights, and faucets and other metal were all different, at least on television.    I liked the back splash, cabinets, and counter tops.   

On a personal, and probably tacky note, I wish someone had told the wife, and the designer how to do TV makeup.   They both had way too much, and the wife's lighter eye shadow made her look startled.   , I didn't like her lipstick either, I think it drained the color out of her face.  They were both very pretty, and the makeup was wrong.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

A new episode!   It's about time.   

No kidding! 

Have to give the wife props for patience in doing those stencils. That’s a lot of work I would never have the patience for. 

Another white kitchen but at least the backsplash wasn’t white subway tiles and the island had stained cabinets.

How much was the total reno? I didn’t see that bit.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

No kidding! 

Have to give the wife props for patience in doing those stencils. That’s a lot of work I would never have the patience for. 

Another white kitchen but at least the backsplash wasn’t white subway tiles and the island had stained cabinets.

How much was the total reno? I didn’t see that bit.

Yes, the stenciling was impressive. I hope they don’t move anytime soon. Just the thought of someone painting over my hard work would bring me to tears. 

Wasn't crazy about the backyard. The patio/ pool shed was nice, but they went from having a tiny bit of grass in their yard to zero grass. I’m thinking about their daughters. Was there a front yard?

Liked the kitchen. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess the two women bonded over an app for people with obnoxious, whiny voices?    What a bland, boring kitchen. and it probably costs a lot extra for the finishes that she used, and they will be totally outdated in a year or two.  I can't believe she wanted to rip out solid wood upper cabinets to put white shaker style instead.     

The home buyer's ideas on what to do with the split level were horrible.  I guess it never dawned on her that eliminating the dining room to make an over sized kitchen would leave no dining space.   Unless she wanted to use the living room the way the previous owners did.  

She wanted an all white kitchen, and she certainly ended up with one, it was so boring, and generic.    I hope she realizes that painting the brick means you always have to repaint it.     The wood floors didn't match each other, even between the dining, and the living by the stairs didn't look the same.     I hated the dark blue powder bath, it looked like a cave.    At least they did the egress window for the basement bedroom.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Lastnight's HHR - wasn't there another bedroom on the first floor?  

I guess closing the area off to make it a master suite was no  biggie because if she sells it can go back  to a hallway w/2 bdrms.

Sadly with all the $$ spent, the after was so vanilla

• Love 1

I kinda liked the house. Granted it was white but it looked so clean and fresh. I’m sure eventually she’ll have to paint the outside but that wouldn’t be for a few years. I liked the outdoor space. It was just a regular patio area but she didn’t need to spend a lot of money on it. A huge umbrella, a sectional and call it a day. The bathrooms turned out nice. I remember the contractor Ben Henry from before. He was also on Survivor. The one thing I did learn from the show was their is a BFF App. Who knew? I guess it isn’t a horrible idea but it’s not my demographic. I think I’m too old at 55 to use it. LOL!!!!!

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

For some reason the stainless dishwasher really bothered me! I think it’s because it was so near the stove that all the stainless really stood out.

Yes

Maybe a white DW - or frontpanel that matched the other cabinets  would have been a better choice?

I hate the look of painted brick.  Does anyone have first-hand experience with it? I am thinking in areas with seasonal exteremes the paint doesn’t hold up well.  

Like painting any surface, it’s the prep that is a pain in the ass - if one does it correctly.  You would have to remove all of the peeling, cracking, bubbly paint before you repaint.  Assuming you want to do a good job, and not have to repaint every few years.  I would think the brick should have been pressure washed before the initial paint job, correct?  And cracks in the grout retouched/pointed?  (Is grout the right word?)

The problems with painted brick is that once you paint it, you generally have to keep repainting.    The brick on the house last night looked like the type that has deep surface grooves also, so that will soak up even more paint.     If you want to get rid of the paint later, then it's a huge issue.     The mortar would have to be repointed if it had issues, before painting.      The homeowner turned a siding material that needed no maintenance, unless there is some kind of cracking or damage, into a surface that will need repainting periodically.   

I think it was originally a 3 bed 2 bath, but they added the half bath on the first floor, so they could change the first floor bath to a master bath.     I don't know if there was still a second bedroom on the first, or basement level, because the roommate had the downstairs bath, and bedroom.   If there is another bedroom downstairs, then they would have to add an egress window, the way they changed the roommate's basement bedroom window.    

• Love 1
(edited)

Just watched the Denver episode and I agree with all of the criticisms of the remodel mentioned up thread.  I want to add that in addition to the creaky, whiny voices that young women have decided to use, please stop using the word "amazing" to describe everything in a newly remodeled house.  Subway tile isn't amazing, and neither is a new bathtub, wood floors, etc.   Find another adjective to use. 

Yes, it was possibly one of the most boring redos we've seen on HHR, even though the buyer thinks she has "amazing" design skills.  I think she was joking with that comment.  Every time she walked into a house and wanted to knock out a wall, it seemed that the wall had plumbing on the other side.  You can't just knock out a wall that contains plumbing without incurring a large expense to relocate the plumbing, if possible.  She ran into that little hiccup with the furnace flue.  The other thing that irritates me about these owners is their constant whining that they don't know how to do any DIY projects and it would be a huge burden to take on.  That's why you HIRE people to do it for you.  I have a lot of experience with home projects, but there is no way I would tackle a bathroom and kitchen remodel on my own, or even act as a contractor for the project.  Just open your wallet and pay someone to do it for you.  If you can't afford to do that, then maybe a fixer isn't for you.  Obviously she had some painting skills, and could handle a screwdriver to assemble an umbrella.  She gets a participation trophy for that.

Would HH please find participants who want color and a designer who has more than 10,000 shades of white and gray in their color swatches? 

Oh, and about painted brick.  There was nothing wrong with the brick on the exterior of that house.  She didn't like the color, so of course, it had to be painted white.  Painting brick is more than slapping a coat of paint on it.  You have to determine the type of brick and paint it with the appropriate paint.  Brick needs to breathe, and painting it with the wrong paint can cause moisture problems down the road.  In my area, young buyers are snapping up houses built in the 50's (red brick), 60's & 70's (what we call old brick here) and immediately painting them all shades of white and cream.  Personally, I think that causes a loss of some of the character of the house.  IMVHO if the brick is in good shape, don't paint it and create more maintenance problems for yourself.  Work with what you have and save some money.  If unpainted brick ever comes back in style, get your sandblasters ready.    

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 3

Between the vocal fry coming from the buyer, roommate and the realtor and the over use of the word "amazing", I did a lot of fast forwarding. I know her budget was around $125k, did she stick to it? Was there a reason the dishwasher couldn't go on the other side of the sink instead of right next to the oven? Not only would it have looked better, but then the stove and hood wouldn't have been so off centered. And yes, that was totally noticeable and looked like an obvious mistake.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I hate the look of painted brick.  Does anyone have first-hand experience with it? I am thinking in areas with seasonal exteremes the paint doesn’t hold up well.

We rented a painted brick house when my husband was transferred with his job about 40 years ago. The house was built with the intention of paining it a soft yellow so it might have been a special type of brick that was meant to be painted. When we lived there the house was less than 10 years old. From recent photos on Google maps it still looks good, but I don't know if it's been repainted or not.

Where we live now the homes are mostly Federal and Georgian style two story brick and there isn't a single one that's been painted. They would look out of place if painted. 

Juliet, she went $10,000 over budget.  As for the dishwasher placement, I thought the same thing as you, but I kept going back and looking at the kitchen layout (thank goodness for DVR's), and that was a very short run of cabinet with a door next to the cabinet.  There was no other place for the dishwasher.  I think a white paneled front on the dishwasher to match the cabinets would have made it look less off center.  It didn't bother me too much, because I didn't like the finished product as a whole.  Too bland for my taste.  

• Love 4
On 5/12/2019 at 5:04 PM, ByaNose said:

I kinda liked the house. Granted it was white but it looked so clean and fresh. I’m sure eventually she’ll have to paint the outside but that wouldn’t be for a few years. I liked the outdoor space. It was just a regular patio area but she didn’t need to spend a lot of money on it. A huge umbrella, a sectional and call it a day. The bathrooms turned out nice. I remember the contractor Ben Henry from before. He was also on Survivor. The one thing I did learn from the show was their is a BFF App. Who knew? I guess it isn’t a horrible idea but it’s not my demographic. I think I’m too old at 55 to use it. LOL!!!!!

Agreed. I wouldn’t have chosen the finishes she did, but the final product was still modern and pretty. Except for the patterned tiles on the fume hood. I know the interior designer pushed for them, but I thought they were butt ugly.

I actually liked the home owner and her roommate and didn’t notice their vocal fries. She was nice and usually open to new ideas. 

Didn’t like the master shower, though. The white and gray tiles were so small that the final pattern looked messy. I wish she’d gone with larger tiles. And I wanted to see her new walk-in master closet. Did they show it?

On 2/11/2019 at 4:15 PM, ByaNose said:

I assume HH hires the designer, right? Maybe, I'm wrong. You are right though. You could go to Lowes or Home Depot and do all this yourself. Unless, you are a complete idiot like most of these people on HH Renovation who can't think for themselves. They would probably save some money, too.

Sadly, that would be me. I don’t have an eye for design, so I know I’d need lots of help. 

My understanding is the designer only sees measurements, and photos of the kitchen, or whatever rooms they're designing, before the meeting with the homeowners.      The designer is paid for by the show, or else donates services for the publicity.      I'm sure there is some communications given to the designer about what the homeowners want to do about the kitchen or whatever room they want to totally redo.   

• Love 1

BBH Renovation in NC: I liked how they used that 200 year old wood on the kitchen walls. Also liked that the countertops weren’t white. Didn’t the wife at first say that she wanted an all white kitchen? 

Why had the previous owners covered up those hardwood floors with carpet? 🙄