Type keyword(s) to search

Carole Radziwill: She's a Real Princess!

• Start Topic

Didn't mean to come off as pedantic, but I honestly thought you had some inside scoop or knowledge (that you might share, hee).

Oh God I wish!  I do get stuff occasionally from publisher pals but I haven't heard anything about this.  It's just my own personal private hope that Bethenny takes off on Carole because (a) even though she's a complete bitch and I also know--from privy sources--that she is crazy, totally self-involved and an absolute horror-show to work with, I liked Bethenny in her RH persona.  And (b) as y'all know I cannot stand the steaming pile of pretentiousness that is Princess Radziwill!

• Love 2

Ryebread, I just can't with Carol's book. Again, I appreciate her style but she just tries so hard, I can't get into the story. From posts in RHBH, I've requested House of Hilton electronically from my library. I'll do a book report on that one, maybe. I just hope no one at the library has access to my requests...

• Love 1

Ryebread, I just can't with Carol's book.

Then you probably don't want to bother with the new one that quaintirene linked above.  But don't worry - nobody else is, either. 

I just hope no one at the library has access to my requests...

Last year, I mentioned to my husband that I was considering a part time job.  He suggested I apply at our library - where I've borrowed 'House of Hilton', Jill's book, and Bethenny's 'Place of Yes'.  So that would be a place of 'no'. 

• Love 4

Girlfriends Guide to Divorce is actually based on a book by Vicki Iovine. She has a lot of them, in fact the only reason I know this is because someone gave me her "Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" book when I was pregnant, way back in 2006 lol. She's written quite a few of these, so maybe Carol is ripping her off, not the other way around.

• Love 1

Girlfriends Guide to Divorce is actually based on a book by Vicki Iovine. She has a lot of them, in fact the only reason I know this is because someone gave me her "Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" book when I was pregnant, way back in 2006 lol. She's written quite a few of these, so maybe Carol is ripping her off, not the other way around.

I didn't know that this was one of Vicki Iovine's projects.  And who DIDN'T have the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy if they were pregnant?  I'd be curious to know how many copies that one sold.  I know she parlayed the 'Girlfriends Guide' brand into about 10 other books. Now a TV series.

Carole could just be terribly unimaginative when it comes to titles or she borrowed a little of what clearly worked for Iovine.  Imo, it was probably a little of both.

She did have a bunch of books, like surviving the first year of motherhood, play dates, etc. and there actually is one on divorce. I've only read the pregnancy one and the one on baby gear, but they are good books, pretty funny. I was actually kind of sad to see she wrote the divorce one since she has four kids. Maybe she should be a Beverly Hills housewife.

And although maybe this is what carol is trying to do, I don't think she is nearly as funny as Vicki Iovine. She thinks she is, but no.

Edited by ElsieH

The Whatever Guide To Whatever is a pretty standard title trope for chick-lit. I wouldn't be that surprised if Carole's publisher came up with the title. I doubt the intent was to scam off any other series. It's just way too common a way of structuring a title.

On another note I've always wondered in The Widow's Guide was heavily guided by Carole's publisher. It's just so Emily Giffin in a way that I don't associate with Carole, but I can see her thinking "well if that sells. My anti-kitchen remodel isn't going to pay for itself!" As much as I can't stand the bitch, I've always had trouble wrapping my head around the idea that she woke up one day and thought "The Devil Wears Prada is brilliant! I'm totally inspired!" I've always wondered if it was suggested/demanded by her published. Especially after the scene with her editor where she couldn't accuratly describe what the hell kind of book it was.

On another note I've always wondered in The Widow's Guide was heavily guided by Carole's publisher. It's just so Emily Giffin in a way that I don't associate with Carole, 

I read the original ms and glanced at the finished novel.  I didn't see too many changes but I didn't spend a lot of time looking either.  I suspect Carole thought writing a book like this would be easy and profitable.  And it was profitable once the essays were on the table as well.  Carole is well-connected and probably has excellent gossip.  The Widow's Guide has sold 6104 in hardcover to date through BookScan.  Probably 3000 more than that in library editions etc.   Not terrible.  But nowhere near enough to justify what was paid.  And, as I've said before on another board, no one else stepped up.  General reaction I heard was 'snoooore'...

• Love 2

Hello! I'm a Noob and been watching RHONY since the beginning of season 5. :) Be gentle with me. I have really wanted to like Carole, but the I'm so hipster thing she projects is too much. The name dropping is old. She'd have us believe she's dated every famous actor out there. I don't doubt she's well connected and knows a ton of famous people, but dating all of those actors? Color me a little skeptical. I'm also waiting for the NY building code dept. to cite her for those stairs. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen. Totally getting rid of your kitchen? I hope she was joking. Even when I was single, lived alone and I hate to cook, I still needed a fridg, stove, microwave, etc. Perhaps she lives on a diet of wine, pot, and whatever she eats when she goes out? That would sense for how skinny she is.

I read TWG and I'd give it two stars or low three stars. I liked "What Remains" and I think Carole's forte is not writing fiction. After watching Carole in RHONY and then reading the book, there doesn't seems to be a big difference with her 'Claire' and herself other than the deceased husband in real life seemed like a nice guy and the book one is a d-bag. There's the name dropping of famous guys she hooks up, an annoying BFF, the stereotypical gay friend, and a few other stereotypical friend types. There's not many sympathetic characters. That's what I can't stand about Candace Bushnell's stuff. None of her characters are likable. If you want good women's fiction (I hate the term chick lit--sounds like chiclet LOL), read Sophie Kinsella's older stuff (she's been a bit flat lately), "The Book of Jane," or "The Nanny Diaries." There are others, but I can't think of them at the moment. I wonder if the book will be adapted to a show? I hope the show is better than the book. The Devil Wears Prada and Legally Blonde were horrible books but the movies were nice. 

• Love 3

Welcome Library!  You're my people!  There are about 4 of us that aren't Carole fans, so brace yourself.

Funny you should post today because as I finished packing up the Christmas tree, the Rodeo episode was on from last season's trip to Montana.

Often, when time passes between the Housewife seasons, I soften toward the Housewives that I didn't care for before.  But not this time.  Carole and Heather?  Still don't like 'em.  Surprised?  ;-)

March 11, baby.

• Love 4

Often, when time passes between the Housewife seasons, I soften toward the Housewives that I didn't care for before.  But not this time.  Carole and Heather?  Still don't like 'em.  Surprised?  ;-)

March 11, baby.

The new season begins on March 11th?  Say it ain't so as that's my birthday, the big 5-0 this year!

• Love 5

The new season begins on March 11th?  Say it ain't so as that's my birthday, the big 5-0 this year!

Yes ma'am!  See, I can call you ma'am now because that's what people call you after we reach a certain age. :-)

• Love 3

Birthday Buddies :P I feel like we already knew this but mine is the 12th! Yay for our birthday presents from Bravo! 

• Love 3

Atlanta- Those stairs terrify the fuck out of me. I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of floating staircases; the lack of railing seems like an accident just waiting to happen.

• Love 2

Atlanta- Those stairs terrify the fuck out of me. I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of floating staircases; the lack of railing seems like an accident just waiting to happen.

There is a railing attached to the wall. I like the look for her style, but I agree they would feel a little scary, especially after a glass or two of wine.

• Love 1

There is a railing attached to the wall. I like the look for her style, but I agree they would feel a little scary, especially after a glass or two of wine.

But there needs to be a railing on the other side. Imagine if Heather or Kristen's kids came over and they turned their heads for a second and one of them is wandering up them? Yikes. Also, there needs to be an outer railing. Heck, they'd make me hesitant to walk up them even without a glass of wine. The 'floating' part doesn't scare as much as no outside rail.

• Love 1

March 11, baby.

...I have a soft spot for Carole now...for some reason.  Didn't like her her first season, loved her the second.  Wish I could say the same for Heather.  Loved her her first season and hated her last season.  What a difference a season makes.  Couldn't stand her (Heather)...and agree with Veev's on her assessment of Heather...

• Love 1

Wow, princess, twelve pages.

Imagine if Heather or Kristen's kids came over and they turned their heads for a second and one of them is wandering up them?

But, one doesn't design their personal space based on what someone else's kid might do if they happen to come over.

• Love 4

Wow, princess, twelve pages.

But, one doesn't design their personal space based on what someone else's kid might do if they happen to come over.

Ha!  We designed 2 houses with lots of nice amenities for ALL the overnight guests my husband swore we would have.  How many times were they used, other than by me when I couldn't sleep or DH was sick?  Five. In 15 years.  We once dropped a small fortune on a suspended walkway so those guests could enjoy the view from our 2nd story master bedroom balcony without having to walk through the master bedroom.  Dumb.  The view from the ground floor was just fine.  This is a huge pet peeve of mine.  Kudos to Carole for not kowtowing.  I won't next time. No siree, bob.  Guests can stay in a damn hotel. Clearly I'm not Yolanda.

I'm surprised the building codes in NYC approved Carole's staircase.  Wouldn't have happened here in Michigan.

• Love 3

Yet you deleted 'em both. LOL.  I was just commenting on your post and then 'poof'!

Weird because it showed 4 times and now only the edited posts appear :^P.

Anyway here is want I said: A rail wouldn't help with kids because they could fall through or under it and if you were drunk or tripped the same thing could happen to an adult. A rail would add some stability to the climb but anyone could still fall off of it.

Carole's steps didn't appear to be too steep or narrow, so as long as someone isn't being careless, her staircase is probably no less safe than one with two railings. Though, I do wonder how much weight the steps can bear before they bend or break off from the wall.

A rail wouldn't help with kids because they could fall through or under it and if you were drunk or tripped the same thing could happen to an adult. A rail would add some stability to the climb but anyone could still fall off of it.

I agree in entirety.  No outside rail is a no-no.  Perception comes into play, too.  Most people don't have a problem walking on a 6 inch wide line if drawn on a sidewalk.  But suspend that line 6 inches?  6 feet?  16 feet?  Suddenly it's scary and wobbly. Same with no rail.

Though, I do wonder how much weight the steps can bear before they bend or break off from the wall.

87 pounds.  :-)  Great security measure for Carole, though. If she were asleep upstairs and anyone broke in, she'd be safe from the chub-chubs.

• Love 2

I agree in entirety.  No outside rail is a no-no.  Perception comes into play, too.  Most people don't have a problem walking on a 6 inch wide line if drawn on a sidewalk.  But suspend that line 6 inches?  6 feet?  16 feet?  Suddenly it's scary and wobbly. Same with no rail.

87 pounds.  :-)  Great security measure for Carole, though. If she were asleep upstairs and anyone broke in, she'd be safe from the chub-chubs.

omg I was going to post that it was probably safe for up to 87 pounds so Carole would be safe! Fine minds and all that...
  • Love 3

omg I was going to post that it was probably safe for up to 87 pounds so Carole would be safe! Fine minds and all that...

LOL.  87 was sort of a random number! 

If our monthly cycles start sync-ing that should probably be an indication that we spend entirely too much time on PTV.

• Love 3

I know when we had a lot of stuff in our house remodeled, the code inspector still had to come in and okay everything. I'm surprised she didn't have to add a railing on the outside. Those stairs look like they could support only someone as small as Carole. Like someone else said, imagine if someone had one too many glasses of wine and went bumbling up those things. Eek! I think the rest of the decor looks great, but the moment I saw those stairs, I felt second hand afraid for anyone 10 lbs larger than her to walk up them. lol

• Love 1

I'm surprised the building codes in NYC approved Carole's staircase.  Wouldn't have happened here in Michigan.

There is no way Carole got a C.O. without having a railing and some sort of spindles/barrier on those stairs.  I don't care where you live, I can't imagine there is a building code that allow for that.  We put in an outdoor steps -just two from our back door and needed a railing.  Nor would she have homeowners insurance without a C.O. Anyone falls on those stairs and is injured, she's in for a huge lawsuit.  I bet they had a railing with plexiglass (so as not to have to drill into the steps themselves) for her C.O. and then removed them. But she is a fool to let them film it and put it in a magazine unless she has everyone who enters her home sign a waiver/release of liability for using the stairs.  Sure it looks cool until someone sues you for a few million $.

It's the drop - not the railing on the wall side that matters I think.  You can't have a drop of more than a certain height without having a barrier - and I don't think just a railing is sufficient - I think you also need a barrier like spindles (that why in modern homes you now see wires or plexiglass).  She has at least an 8 ft. drop at the top step probably.  It's just not safe, and I can't imagine any code approving that.  If you think about it, if someone trips or misses a step they are going to reach out, and if nothings there they will just tumble over 7-8 feet and fall.

ETA - I do think it looks very "cool" but I think it's just more of Carole's image over reality.

Edited by jinjer

It's the drop - not the railing on the wall side that matters I think.  You can't have a drop of more than a certain height without having a barrier

It's either 30 or 40 inches for indoor residential stair railings in the U.S.  I forget.  Exterior and/or commercial building is different.

They are sexy looking stairs but they'd make me nervous.

She'd have us believe she's dated every famous actor out there.

Other than George Clooney - which Sonja brought up in St. Barth's - who has she dated? I know she mentioned WANTING to date David Foster….

I admit, I've been catching up on RHoNJ during the hiatus, so I may have forgotten some Carole details! Also, no one even comes close to Sonja when it comes to name-dropping, so I'm willing to cut Carole some slack.

Didn't she casually mention on that one episode last season as she was packing up her autographed books to send to famous friends that she went on a date or two with Ralph Fiennes?

Hey, I'd be bragging about that one too---he was pretty damned hot before he lost his hair and got outted as a airplane bathroom stewardess-banging sex addict. I think she's even hinted that he may have been the inspiration for the movie star character her book's heroine was seduced by.

• Love 1

Speaking as a person who has climbed that sort of floating staircase numerous times, I always moved slowly up and down, no running! Each riser is cantilevered and imbedded in the wall so well that I never thought they would break off but I always stayed close to the wall, they are made of cement and steel.  Carole's house is not child friendly but why should it be, she has no children.

I've got two floating staircases in my house.  It isn't exactly small-child-friendly.  But there are rails on both sides.  Very cool industrial-looking rails, but rails all the same.  I can't imagine a staircase like that being code-approved.  And she'd better hope no one heads up there after a few too many drinks.  Because as has been noted above, no insurance company on the face of the earth will pay for that lawsuit!

• Love 2

Carole has owned that space for how long? I have yet to read of any disaster befalling anyone who's visited her home because of the stairs.

And that will be her defence when someone breaks their neck?  'Your Honour, it hasn't happened before!'?

• Love 1