Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Day 9: 4: 00 PM-5: 00 PM

Tensions between President Heller and Prime Minister Davies boil over, until one of them decides to take matters into his own hands. Meanwhile, Jack has a plan for tracking down Margot, but it involves using someone unexpected—and unsuspecting—as bait; and back at the CIA in London, Jordan raises suspicions about Kate's husband.

Well, I thought we would have one more episode before the mole was revealed...nice job.

I thought for sure that when the forged executive order was uncovered, Mark Boudreau would tell the President that he signed it and then forgot because of his Alzheimer's symptoms.  It looks like the forgery wasn't that good.

British PM vs. Heller next week over the PM's almost-botching of the undercover operation of Jack and Kate's.

Y'know, mole plot, only a couple of posts ago I was saying that I wouldn't mind not seeing you around again.  It probably would have helped if not everyone had already been acting all moleish from the first episode.

Though we don't know who Steve is working for yet, so there's that.

Mark: When you've dug yourself a hole, don't keep on digging.

Other 24 trope that we got this week: Thigh choke!  Though not thigh neck snap, but the between-the-legs backstab was quite stylish in its own right.

Simone and sister-in-law: That probably would have worked better if Simone had not just suddenly changed her entire demeanor and said "You have to get out now."  That only works for Jack.  I think we all expected either of them to get Traffic Accidented as soon as the chase went into the street.

Margot's parenting style is not quite Darth Vader at this point, but she's close.  The rate this is going her son will probably flip too, possibly just in self-defense.

I LOLed when Naveed's phone rang and the two henchmen WTFed.  The crap you put up with in these jobs...

• Love 1

And people not trusting Jack when they should be, then dying because of it.

Heh, on the other hand we have gone from Jack about to be shipped to 'Special Interrogations' to POTUS telling Navarro to give Jack whatever he needs in 4 hours.

• Love 1

God that was annoying.  When halfway through the ep they were going on about missing files, I said aloud "Oh great, here comes the mole plot", and after the final split screen and they showed Bratt, I just let out a 'you've got to be f***ing kidding me."

I know we can't always trust Jack because the show would be over in 2-3 hours, but it was telegraphed 45 minutes away that Jack would be 1 second away from mission success before the Brits would screw it up for him.  Just annoying.

Loved the first 15 minutes though, with the setup of Jack going from most wanted man in the world 3 hours ago to the POTUS "Whatever Jack wants, Jack gets."

• Love 1
(edited)

How many minutes was henchmen just holding that drill and not putting it to use on Kate?   Felt like it dragged on forever.

Edited by vb68

I found it interesting that the British PM got involved in the operation that fast. I know he know wonders if the President has dementia but he has just spent hours with the guy. Was this something that he just heard about or have there been questions about Heller before? It just seems odd to me that one unsubstantiated report about possible Alzheimer's and the PM is digging into a US covert op. He didn't know the play or anything, he just burst in. It just seems odd...

Kate is truly the female Jack -- the thigh choke, the torture, the wet electrocution.  That's Jack season 1 and 2 all right.

Margot isn't too bright to be making enemies out of her kids like that.  Evil Sansa wasn't too bright either.

It annoys me that literally everyone forgot that Jack saved the world like seven times before going a little crazy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Re: Waiting to drill: I thought that too, when the guy was just messing around with it through the entire commercial break and then the next few minutes afterward.  I was imagining some weird pre-torture digression where he was comparing different drill bit sizes or talking about other dental work he'd done.

Re: Kate-as-early-Jack: He probably finds it interesting to have dragooned a partner who is that willing to go along with his off-the-wall and almost-certainly-fatal plans after only having about 15 minutes of actual face-to-face interaction total.

Belchick is probably out of the picture now that MI5 has managed to barge in and screw things up in the way that people always barge in and screw up Jack's typical zany schemes (and with Jack and Kate likely working together the rest of the time) but I did find him interesting while he was around, not least of which because there was definitely some interesting off-screen adventuring during the intervening time, which as this show typically does, will not get any more explanation.

Though Jack mentioning that he was being a rogue superhero in the meantime was amusing.  Rather unlike the period between Season 4 and 5, when he just wanted to hide quietly and had almost settled down.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 1
Loved the first 15 minutes though, with the setup of Jack going from most wanted man in the world 3 hours ago to the POTUS "Whatever Jack wants, Jack gets."

That's why this season is only 12 hours long.

Everything is pretty much going Jack Bauer's way and everybody kind of remembers that he did save the US/World a couple times.

Wow, this episode had so many twists and turns, I got whiplash!   A veritable smorgasbord of how to fuck up a plan... any plan.  Let's see, there's Chief of Staff getting caught in his forgery, CIA station chief unable to deflect gung-ho geek, reverse knock-out drug, sister & kid not "cooperating," and best of all, MI5 botching everything.  What fun!

• Love 1

With everyone going on about MI5 screwing things up, I have to add that it was quite a pleasant surprise that Jack was still able to upload the virus despite their barging in. Not having as much room for fat in this story is really paying off.

• Love 3

A mole and torture. It's officially 24 again.

And it was just so deliciously awful.   Only 24 can do it like that.  Yes.

Wow, this episode had so many twists and turns, I got whiplash!   A veritable smorgasbord of how to fuck up a plan... any plan.  Let's see, there's Chief of Staff getting caught in his forgery, CIA station chief unable to deflect gung-ho geek, reverse knock-out drug, sister & kid not "cooperating," and best of all, MI5 botching everything.  What fun!

..and don't forget knife in the chest and bus vs. girl.  It didn't end well. 

(edited)

I'm one of the ones who called it for Navarro as a potential mole. Heh. From the speech pattern it did seem to be Margot he was speaking with but what connection does she have to Kate's hubby?

Colin Salmon continues to mess up thanks to his spotty American accent. Tonight's botched word was "protocols" which he pronounced as "protokahls." Dude really needed to be locked in a room until he knew how to say "coffee," "dog," "talk," "officer" and "protocols" properly the way us Yanks do.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 1

Belchick is probably out of the picture now

Well, that's good news because the New England Patriots need their head coach back.  Oh, wait a minute...

Too bad they can't use Evil Sansa as a bargaining chip since her crazy mother doesn't seem to have gotten the nurturing gene and wouldn't give a crap if her daughter got killed.  Yikes.  Margot makes Joan Crawford look like a saint.

• Love 2

The gal's mom shot off her finger and within an hour she gets hit by a bus.  Bummer.  Looks like she's finally in the hospital in the next hour so maybe they can repair the hand before Jack sets her up to die yet another way.

Okay. Was Jack ever strung up like Kate with his arms in that position?  I know 24 is suspension of disbelief to the nth degree, but I'm having a hard time thinking that Kate would be able to that leg thing and not dislocate one or both of her shoulders. Or did I miss something and she does have an injury after that? 

Disappointing that Bratt is the mole :(.  

I loved this episode. Nothing quite ratches up the tension like an already improbable plan being compounded by further complications. That whole sequence at the arms dealer's hideout (if that's what he is) was 24 at its best.

Kate Morgan continues to establish herself as a total freaking badass. At this point, I dare say she's the best sidekick Jack has ever had in the history of the show and if her taking up Jack's mantle is where they're going with this, I'm totally on board. I think YS could carry a show like this.

Major groan at Navarro's mole reveal and eh at junior terrorist's conscience kicking in. Very predictable developments. As much as I enjoy Michelle Fairley's performance, her whole side of the storyline has been strictly painting by numbers.

Good on the British for getting in on the action though. The amount of BS the PM has had to put up with so far is already ridiculous. I assume he's gonna have to request another audience at the US embassy soon...

We knew there had to be a mole somewhere.  In fact I don't trust the PM's aide either.

For weeks we've been wondering why MI5 wasn't called in.  Now we know.  They are as incompetent as CTU.

Please, Chloe, go wash your face.  Poor MJR, having to endure that ghastly makeup for the full season.

• Love 1

I like Kate Morgan a lot although I still miss Renee.

Belcheck is kind of cool too.  I hope he comes back but it might be tough for him to get out of custody.

Ouch I cringed at the torture scenes.. one thing is to torture a strong man like Jack but when they are doing our "Extrahotsky" I just wanted to end that quickly.

Kate agreed to such torture and possibly being killed? not to mention being anesthetized and hands tied so good she could be hang from that. (I was expecting that she could undo her hands easily but no)

Gotta wonder what Margot is thinking, sending Simone out to murder someone while the operation is underway. She already has the drones, and everyone knows it. She's already told the whole world she's the mastermind. The only thing she needs to keep secret for the next few hours is her actual current location. And there's no reason to think Naveed's sister knows where they are -- and if she does know, the cops might already be on the way.

On the other hand, Simone is one of the few people who can blow the whole thing. So Margot puts one of the only people who can expose them out in the field, after giving Simone a couple of really solid reasons to turn against her?

In fact I don't trust the PM's aide either.

Yeah, I had her as a possibility until Navarro was revealed as a mole - now not so much.

The gal's mom shot off her finger and within an hour she gets hit by a bus.  Bummer.  Looks like she's finally in the hospital in the next hour so maybe they can repair the hand before Jack sets her up to die yet another way.

Um, she has the shot-off finger(s) with her? :P

(edited)

Was Margot's initial message worldwide or only to the various intelligence agencies (and picked up by Open Cell along the way)?  I thought that someone had said that it was the latter, but I could be wrong and can't check.  If the broadcast really is going all over the place, it would be a little strange for Sister-in-law to be so casual.  I mean, there was London during the Blitz, and then there's "We heard about some lunatics that want to blow up London with drones, you might want to grab your kids and go home and not be wandering around."

If it only went to the governments, probably the British government is keeping the information close to itself for the usual "don't want to create a panic" reasons that exist on this show.

I just tried to figure out why MI5 hasn't sent someone to Sister-in-law to ask what she knows, but then I figured out some reasons why that might not happen, mostly that Simone has likely been living under an alias while she's been married to Naveed, and while her face has triggered a specific match now, that the global face-recognition stuff that NSA, NYPD, MI5, the Metropolitan Police, etc. have all wanted to have sucking down data from every CCTV camera is not actually doing that.  So it might actually take CIA and MI5 a plausible amount of time to find any contacts that Simone has had in the UK now that she's resurfaced.

Otherwise, someone probably would have already sent someone to talk to Sister-in-law, since it's a very short series of hops from her to Naveed to Simone to Margot.

Back to the Navarro mole angle... what's the connection?  Is there a connection?  Is it just a set-up for the second half of the day?

Margot wanted to get the drone controller from the other guy at the beginning, it looked like the deal would have gone off just fine before Jack showed up.  Then she would have gone and blown up Heller later in the day anyway.  On the other hand, the guy could have screwed up/been making it up all along just to screw her over, and she'd have been left sitting around while the US and UK got their deal done.

I can't figure in that how discrediting Kate's husband some time ago, then getting Kate fired, plays into those events of this day... Kate wasn't even actually leaving until later in the week, but that got pushed up when she stumbled into the Jack bust.  She doesn't seem to know very much about the al-Harazis and their associates—less than Jack, who's been running around as Batman all ths time.

So the way this show works, there's a Bigger Bad out there with some other plan that the al-Harazi scheme plays into.  Argh, I didn't want to see that old plot hook resurface either.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor

I'm sure whomever Navarro is answering to is the guy who REALLY killed David Palmer.  You know, cause that's what they kept revealing about the big bads in Season 6 and 7 in order to prop them up as some great threat....

I don't think Margot's message was broadcast to the general public.  It just went to the intelligence community and Open Cell hacked in so they could watch.  If it had gone to the public, there would be mass hysteria as everyone and his sister's dog attempted to leave London.

Kudos to those of you who suggested Navarro as the mole.  I don't fully get it though, he's the station chief.  Apparently Kate's husband got too close so he planted evidence to disgrace him.  But why?  If they even try to insist that he's Al-Harazi's brother, that is way too unbelievable.  There's no way they could get me to believe a Hispanic guy is actually Middle Eastern.  Then again, I thought the Russian whoever he was looked Indian.

Felt really bad for Farrah and her daughter.  Why couldn't Simone have just told them to leave town right away?  She clearly didn't want to kill her.  I hope the daughter survived.

So happy that the sensationally hot Miranda Raison finally got to speak.  Her voice and accent are just as amazing as I remember them being on MI-5.  I'd love for her to have a bigger role.

I'm curious as to why Michelle Fairley is listed as a guest star.  Some seasons I thought the baddie is listed as a regular.  I hope this doesn't mean she has a short lifespan, although at this point there are only 6 episodes left.  I also just recognised the guy who plays Simone's brother is the actor who played the resentful brother on "The Pillars of the Earth".

I loved the ridiculous of the technobabble exchange between Navarro and Jordan.  Something about a Phoenix Rebirth?

Missed my favorite 24 trope last night, that being "Set up a perimeter."
I thought Kate and the CIA had a perimeter in the episode when Jack went to the apartment complex looking for the guy that got killed by Simone.  Or maybe I am making it up.  

I don't think it's Margo at the other side... if so why sent him to his almost death in the missile attack to the fake compound, he would have known..

My two cents are on the Prime Minister.. that guy is creepy as hell (and I want to set his nose straight with a right punch)

• Love 1

I was half-expecting the laptop to get caught in the crossfire before Jack had a chance to hit the Submit/Enter/Activate Chloe button.

So the way this show works, there's a Bigger Bad out there with some other plan that the al-Harazi scheme plays into.  Argh, I didn't want to see that old plot hook resurface either.

There's always a bigger bad, but Jack has to beat the first few levels of the game first.

I loved the ridiculous of the technobabble exchange between Navarro and Jordan.  Something about a Phoenix Rebirth?

Phoenix Resurrection? In any case, I was laughing at stuff like "Those partitions were supposed to be locked down!" What, did somebody open a socket?

My two cents are on the Prime Minister.

My first thought was that it sounded like Stephen Fry through the voice masking. I'd prefer him to Margot, but I agree that Navarro's likely being blackmailed / had Kate's husband framed as a coverup for something.

For weeks we've been wondering why MI5 wasn't called in. Now we know. They are as incompetent as CTU.

At this point what we need is for one of the terrorist to say something bad about Beyonce. That way the Beyagency can handle things from here on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do we think Jack Bauer's ticks are Jack Bauer's ticks - or are they Keifer's? They seemed, to me, extra obvious in this episode.

Edited by marcee
I don't think it's Margo at the other side... if so why sent him to his almost death in the missile attack to the fake compound, he would have known..

Yes, just what I was thinking.  So perhaps these missing files are not connected to Margot and her plot?  At the very least, the Big Bad has kept Navarro and Margot separated.

My first thought was that it sounded like Stephen Fry through the voice masking. I'd prefer him to Margot, but I agree that Navarro's likely being blackmailed / had Kate's husband framed as a coverup for something.

I keep waiting for Stephen Fry to say something funny, let the PM have a sense of humour dammit! 

(Has he done any press? Did he enjoy being a part of this show?)

• Love 1

I'm still waiting for the Big German Baddie who sent Mandy to kill President Palmer with The Poison Handshake to re-emerge. It's the Fifth Reich, I tell you!

• Love 1