Type keyword(s) to search

Former DCCs: Where They've Gone & What They're Doing

• Start Topic

(edited)

Re: Maddie heading to California

A dancer's life is short enough as it is.  I think Maddie is doing the right thing.  I would encourage Gina to do the same. 

Maddie is going to have stiff competition in. L.A.  Her best bet is to get into class with the major choreographer/teachers and start building a rapport. She's got a few excellent ones on her IG follow list.  Plus get a good dance agent like Bloc. But even Holly P. had a tough time so I wish Maddie all the best and hope it goes well for her.

Edited by go4luca
  • Love 9

I have not been a real Maddie fan. But, I wish her well, and I will say this about her and her move to Cali: She grew up as a big fish in a little dance studio pond and was unprepared for the DCC level and performance; but, she went home and figured out how to make it in that bigger pond and become the big fish again (although her time at point still mystifies me some). So, while I am not wowed by her dancing, I see that she has skill and that extra something in her performance that genuinely draws a lot of people in. Her big-fish leveling-up persistence and that extra something that apparently many see in her give her a real chance. Good luck to her! 

• Applause 1
  • Love 14
(edited)

Good that she's moving to Cali to try new things, but I can't figure out how Maddie would get much work when there are other, better, dancers already there and entrenched in the scene.  Holly Powell had the technical skills that Maddie lacks AND the looks and even SHE had a hard time making it so I'm skeptical that Maddie can as a dancer.  Granted, Maddie may be far more personable and have less of an ego then Holly, which may grant her SOME auditions/jobs, but, again, other dancers will have the technical skills/better dancing, the IT thing, AND are just as personable if not more so then Maddie so I don't see her going very far in Cali before her time runs out as a dancer.

I don't hate her and I like not only her enthusiasm, but her determination and go-getting nature, but I truly don't think she'll be a successful performer on the big stages of California.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Good that she's moving to Cali to try new things, but I can't figure out how Maddie would get much work when there are other, better, dancers already there and entrenched in the scene.  Holly Powell had the technical skills that Maddie lacks AND the looks and even SHE had a hard time making it so I'm skeptical that Maddie can as a dancer.  Granted, Maddie may be far more personable and have less of an ego then Holly, which may grant her SOME auditions/jobs, but, again, other dancers will have the technical skills/better dancing, the IT thing, AND are just as personable if not more so then Maddie so I don't see her going very far in Cali before her time runs out as a dancer.

I don't hate her and I like not only her enthusiasm, but her determination and go-getting nature, but I truly don't think she'll be a successful performer on the big stages of California.

Totally agree.  She is not going to beat out Holly in sexy dancing in CA.  But she definitely draws people in (pretty much every guest choreographer called her out for sparkle) and has a certain innocence and positivity that may lead her to fall into something unique.  She isn’t going to make it in her hip hop!!!!!

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, Opine said:

Totally agree.  She is not going to beat out Holly in sexy dancing in CA.  But she definitely draws people in (pretty much every guest choreographer called her out for sparkle) and has a certain innocence and positivity that may lead her to fall into something unique.  She isn’t going to make it in her hip hop!!!!!

Oh yeah.  Hip hop is NOT her thing and I have a feeling that, if she tries to show off her "moves" in hip hop auditions, she's going to get laughed out of the room and/or audition unless (and until) she learns some actual hip hop.  Kelli and Charlotte may have loved her "skill" but it's not going to work in the "outside" world. 

If she tries to pursue dance in California, she'll probably have to take some dance classes to polish up and make connections before she can hit up some auditions.

• Love 8
On 5/27/2022 at 12:18 AM, EricaShadows said:

Holly Powell had the technical skills that Maddie lacks AND the looks and even SHE had a hard time making it so I'm skeptical that Maddie can as a dancer.  Granted, Maddie may be far more personable and have less of an ego then Holly,

On 5/27/2022 at 2:01 PM, Opine said:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I wouldn’t necessarily call her beautiful or a classic beauty. She radiated something and had the combined package of talent, showmanship and good looks. And that’s how she gets her jobs. And yes, definitely an ego, which probably helps in this world too. The show world is not a world for modest or insecure people that do not like to be the center of attention. And that’s my problem  with Maddie. I always found her insecure and unable to sell herself when she was addressed or in the spotlight when not dancing. That will be a huge problem in LA.

As for guest choreographers: I suspect that a lot they say is scripted too. I’m not necessarily anti-Victoria or anti-Maddie but I’m not buying the over the top praise they got from top choreographers. I’m sure they’ve seen better. Good, yes. Outstanding? No. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I wouldn’t necessarily call her beautiful or a classic beauty. She radiated something and had the combined package of talent, showmanship and good looks. And that’s how she gets her jobs. And yes, definitely an ego, which probably helps in this world too. The show world is not a world for modest or insecure people that do not like to be the center of attention. And that’s my problem  with Maddie. I always found her insecure and unable to sell herself when she was addressed or in the spotlight when not dancing. That will be a huge problem in LA.

As for guest choreographers: I suspect that a lot they say is scripted too. I’m not necessarily anti-Victoria or anti-Maddie but I’m not buying the over the top praise they got from top choreographers. I’m sure they’ve seen better. Good, yes. Outstanding? No. 

She was one of only 4 DCC picked by Meghan Trainor's choreographer to perform with professional dancers at her halftime show. That tells me Maddie is highly employable. Some of us might not be a huge fan but if top choreographers pick her out and notice her, that tells me a lot! Going out to auditions is a complete other ballgame, especially in LA, but good luck to her!

• Wink 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

picked by Meghan Trainor's choreographer to perform with professional dancers at her halftime show. That tells me Maddie is highly employable.

Could be she's just a quick learner at new choreography?  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

She was one of only 4 DCC picked by Meghan Trainor's choreographer to perform with professional dancers at her halftime show. That tells me Maddie is highly employable. Some of us might not be a huge fan but if top choreographers pick her out and notice her, that tells me a lot! Going out to auditions is a complete other ballgame, especially in LA, but good luck to her!

Just curious but do we know if the choreographers picked Maddie (and the other 3) or if Kelli and Judy did? Or if maybe K&J provided a shortlist of Show Group/Leadership and the choreographers ended up picking from that? 

I just wonder in the context of any DCC performance to what extent any outside choreographer/artist really feels comfortable superseding Kelli's decisions. Even something like Thanksgiving halftime where they try to get big-time artists.  

No shade to Maddie (or her fans) but I'm just skeptical Kelli's willingness to let an outside choreographer celebrate anyone besides her faves

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

Just curious but do we know if the choreographers picked Maddie (and the other 3) or if Kelli and Judy did? Or if maybe K&J provided a shortlist of Show Group/Leadership and the choreographers ended up picking from that? 

I just wonder in the context of any DCC performance to what extent any outside choreographer/artist really feels comfortable superseding Kelli's decisions. Even something like Thanksgiving halftime where they try to get big-time artists.  

No shade to Maddie (or her fans) but I'm just skeptical Kelli's willingness to let an outside choreographer celebrate anyone besides her faves

This is what I meant with my post when it comes to the guest choreographers being scripted. Imagine what it would do to Kelli's reputation if she constantly picks on someone for not getting it right and Wall or Trainor called out that particular dancer because she is so amazing!  No, not happening! And I believe you may be right that the guest choreographers are given a short list with dancers to choose from, to comment on or to be selected for whatever.

As for the above-mentioned Meghan Trainor show: I looked it up but I couldn't detect Maddie amongst the professional dancers? I do think that I spotted her among the 20 or so DCCs (The top deck of the podium in the left corner of the left group) Or maybe I was looking at the wrong performance?

• Love 3

Charm was Meghan's choreography and you can tell by MTT that just tells it like it is. I like to think that she picked the girls herself because she is a big name in her industry with a reputation. She chose Maddie (3rd year), Kashara (4th year), Amber and Rachel W (both rookies). At that time, Rachel W wasn't even on SG but is a pretty face.

They might have been picked because they learn choreo fast as someone said above. That's a mjor skill in the dance world anyway!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqlKbDfHEk_/

• Love 7
4 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

Charm was Meghan's choreography and you can tell by MTT that just tells it like it is. I like to think that she picked the girls herself because she is a big name in her industry with a reputation. She chose Maddie (3rd year), Kashara (4th year), Amber and Rachel W (both rookies). At that time, Rachel W wasn't even on SG but is a pretty face.

They might have been picked because they learn choreo fast as someone said above. That's a mjor skill in the dance world anyway!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqlKbDfHEk_/

I don't think they choose Rachel W for her pretty face. All the girls have their hair up so I don't think they were expected to be pretty but purely good dancers.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Kamal said:

I don't think they choose Rachel W for her pretty face. All the girls have their hair up so I don't think they were expected to be pretty but purely good dancers.

Oh I agree, I meant that K&J could've put her forward as people were debating above, purely because she's pretty, despite not being on SG/a leader!

• Love 1
On 5/26/2022 at 3:09 PM, M1977G said:

I have not been a real Maddie fan. But, I wish her well, and I will say this about her and her move to Cali: She grew up as a big fish in a little dance studio pond and was unprepared for the DCC level and performance; but, she went home and figured out how to make it in that bigger pond and become the big fish again (although her time at point still mystifies me some). So, while I am not wowed by her dancing, I see that she has skill and that extra something in her performance that genuinely draws a lot of people in. Her big-fish leveling-up persistence and that extra something that apparently many see in her give her a real chance. Good luck to her! 

I have never understood the fascination with Maddie. She never ever had the DCC look to me, more like a Disney channel look, she is very inarticulate, and her dancing is half-assed tricks and incomplete moves. I think she's prob a good person, but nothing about her has impressed me to the degree that they built her up. Honestly I think she, Amy L and Kashara all owe the Holly/Jenna/Erica mess as to why they were embraced so hard. Zero drama, reliability and a whole lot more family friendly to the brand.

That said I can see Maddie being far more commerically successful and bookable than Holly. As long as she has that All American, fun but not too threatening, commercial appeal that Holly was too sexy for. I can see Maddie anywhere from Old Navy and Gap commercials to JoJo type tours or Disney anything. Jenna could pull that off except she tries to be too flirty sexy at times, Holly couldn't stop it, and Erica never sought commercial dance jobs. 

Maddie wouldn't need mad technical skills for most of that and the cutesy expressiveness would work fine. She really does seem like a good person, so I hope she does do well.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, UnicornKicksBack said:

That said I can see Maddie being far more commerically successful and bookable than Holly. As long as she has that All American, fun but not too threatening, commercial appeal that Holly was too sexy for.

Yeah, being a success isn't just about being the most talented. I think Maddie could have a much more successful career than Holly. Maddie has that sweet, girl next door, easy going vibe.

Holly might technically be the better dancer, she might even be a better performer, but Maddie is probably far more bookable. She also comes across as more willing to work her way up where I think Holly thought she'd paid her dues already and should be a star. 

• Love 7

We really don't know what Maddie is going to LA for yet. She replied to one comment that she will post about it in a couple of days, but hasn't yet.

She's a dancer, so we assume it's to pursue a pro dance career/jobs, but I thought some of the comments made it seem like it's a temporary move/maybe for a specific job (but I could be totally reading them wrong).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, moonchild81 said:

they're announcing titans cheerleaders roster today /  I hope heather h. makes it

Heather made it back for a 2nd season. Also AA Ice Angel Anyssa made the team as a rookie.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Heather made it back for a 2nd season. Also AA Ice Angel Anyssa made the team as a rookie.

On the dance side, I had multiple thoughts throughout the roster reveal of Kitty saying "don't do crap you can't do".

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DCC-UK said:

On the dance side, I had multiple thoughts throughout the roster reveal of Kitty saying "don't do crap you can't do".

I liked this past seasons roster reveal better this looks like last minute thrown together 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I love the color and style of those bridesmaids dresses, except for the high slit.  Otherwise, they're gorgeous.

It would have helped during "Thunder"

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

It would have helped during "Thunder"

Yes, I can see how it would have helped but if the main (or one of the main/major) consideration(s) for the dress is how well a person can perform Thunder, then I have serious concerns about these girls.  I get how important the DCC is to these girls, but that's kind of . . . ridiculous.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Yes, I can see how it would have helped but if the main (or one of the main/major) consideration(s) for the dress is how well a person can perform Thunder, then I have serious concerns about these girls.  I get how important the DCC is to these girls, but that's kind of . . . ridiculous.

No, I don't think that was the only consideration or even the most important but the split does allow an extra degree of freedom to movement. 

3 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

No, I don't think that was the only consideration or even the most important but the split does allow an extra degree of freedom to movement. 

True.  There's that and I still like the dresses.  They're gorgeous.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

image.thumb.png.16de3b127c9fa69cc201ce4fef653efc.png

Bridget is still so well integrated. She crosses friend groups- being in with the Alanna, Cici, Brennan, Briana group for Alanna's wedding. And now a bridesmaid to Taylor as well. I know that rookie class was very close but it's funny to see Bridget still so close. Is she in Amber's too?

• Love 8
On 5/29/2022 at 1:24 PM, LilyD said:

On 5/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, HitItHarder..BAM said:

We know of at least one incident where editing manipulated who the choreographer praised.

I don't remember the season or the other dancer, but I remember the kerfuffle when VK was standing to one side of the choreographer (let's say to their left -- I don't remember) and the choreographer was looking in the other direction (so to their right if VK was on their left) & said something complimentary about a dancer -- but the editors cut to VK like the choreographer was talking about her instead of whoever they were actually praising -- so maybe not "scripted" per say, but they definitely edit/set up situations to get the results they want.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

We know of at least one incident where editing manipulated who the choreographer praised.

I don't remember the season or the other dancer, but I remember the kerfuffle when VK was standing to one side of the choreographer (let's say to their left -- I don't remember) and the choreographer was looking in the other direction (so to their right if VK was on their left) & said something complimentary about a dancer -- but the editors cut to VK like the choreographer was talking about her instead of whoever they were actually praising -- so maybe not "scripted" per say, but they definitely edit/set up situations to get the results they want.

Yep, Evan Miller talking to Amanda

• Love 4
On 6/1/2022 at 4:26 PM, DCC-UK said:

I will say, those guys look like great gymnasts.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Former dcc Taylor p is a finalist for cardinals cheerleaders she is top row second from the end on the left 

0505422E-82E0-45A0-BA54-ED6ED70FFC7F.jpeg

Oh wow. She cheered for the Suns too, right? She is really making the pro-cheerleading rounds! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, StellaCL said:

Oh wow. She cheered for the Suns too, right? She is really making the pro-cheerleading rounds! 

Yeah she danced for the suns for 3 seasons 

Edited by Holly85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Former dcc Taylor p is a finalist for cardinals cheerleaders she is top row second from the end on the left 

I have no doubt she'll make it.

• Love 9

Has there been a former DCC who hasn't made another cheering squad after leaving DCC? If they're the "cream of the crop," they should be able to make any team.

1 minute ago, cgloss said:

Has there been a former DCC who hasn't made another cheering squad after leaving DCC? If they're the "cream of the crop," they should be able to make any team.

Former dcc Allie tried out for chiefs after being cut from dcc but didn’t make it 

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, cgloss said:

I think Erica J tried out for the Lakers, but didn’t make it

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Wow, this is surprising. She seemed, at least to me based on her insta, to be over the pro dance world. Didn't she write about how being on DCC made her crazy about her body and that's why she left after one year? Not that everyone has DCC standards but yeah

I'm absolutely fascinated by her trajectory. She went from being one of the thicker/more femininely bodied (lol) girls on the team (and I recently went through old threads a saw a bunch of posts about her looking DCC big on the field) to someone who lives in the gym and looks like she's at 5% body fat 

Edited by vanillagum
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, vanillagum said:

Wow, this is surprising. She seemed, at least to me based on her insta, to be over the pro dance world. Didn't she write about how being on DCC made her crazy about her body and that's why she left after one year? Not that everyone has DCC standards but yeah

I'm absolutely fascinated by her trajectory. She went from being one of the thicker/more femininely bodied (lol) girls on the team (and I recently went through old threads a saw a bunch of posts about her looking DCC big on the field) to someone who lives in the gym and looks like she's at 5% body fat 

I found the post it was more abt pro cheering as a whole not just dcc 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/7/2022 at 12:12 PM, Lexusprincess said:

I believe Taylor P looked gorgeous with her more curvy body.  She’s beautiful now although clearly spends a lot of time in the gym and loves dancing so I can see why she tried out 

Agreed Taylor P looked great as a a DCC with her curvy self. She is so tiny now it’s crazy. She certainly works hard to maintain it. I hope she makes the new team! I can almost hear Kelli in my head saying she’s too thin for the uniform a la Colby… Kelli’s words not mine…

• Like 1
  • Love 2