Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: I See You

Rebecca wasn't wrong to lay into Darryl after he blabbed to the hostess that Rebecca had a "disorder."  That's not your business to tell people, dude.

Really, though, I enjoyed this episode a whole bunch.  I loved the odd pairings, and a lot of good stuff was touched on because of those pairings.

• Love 18

I could have sworn that Nathaniel and Heather were leading to an almost-kiss, so I could not be more wrong given that the almost-kisses happened with virtually every other pairing.

Rebecca wasn't wrong to lay into Darryl after he blabbed to the hostess that Rebecca had a "disorder."  That's not your business to tell people, dude.

I didn't like it either. His inability to not be irritating for more than two minutes is the reasons why I wanted him and WhiJo to break up.

Also, Josh was wrong about how Paula. Her being procrastinating and being worried isn't a sign of her being a success or really caring, like how I went through a whole series of Eddings novels instead of studying for my exams.

Edited by quangtran
  • Love 5

As soon as I saw Paula measuring her new office, I knew she was procrastinating. I say this as a fellow procrastinator!

I was cracking up about Rebecca calling this a road trip. It takes less than an hour to get from West Covina to Irvine without traffic (right now, Google Maps says it's 42 minutes).

Ha, the Beach Boys song cracked me up.

Darryl's barbecue outfit! Sorry, but if I endured an uncomfortable hourlong drive, I would have at least stayed to eat that damn barbecue and then just taken Lyft home.

Josh picking up the desk with one hand and then replacing the water cooler was hilarious. Bonus points for not knocking over any of Mrs. Beattie's (MANY) knickknacks in the process.

I'm glad that Rebecca apologized for blowing up at Darryl, but I wish Darryl had also taken some responsibility for ignoring the boundaries that she tried to set before they left.

In the Heather/Nathaniel fight, I was 80% on Heather's side because she was being nice when she pulled over and then offered him a ride. He was being so fucking rude by bitching about her car the entire time. If you don't have something nice to say, then SHUT UP, especially when someone is doing you a favor. But Heather was out of line for demanding to know what was in the envelope. It's one of your business, lady. Grabbing it was totally over the line and inappropriate.

She was totally right to tell him what a dick he is for insulting her car though. Not everyone consider their car to be a status symbol or an extension of who they are. Yes, her car was old and messy but it got her from home to work and some people are really utilitarian about their cars and drive them until they die. I had a friend who was totally like that even though he made a lot more money than I'm guessing Heather makes. He lived in LA too and did a lot of driving so his feeling about his car was that it just needed to go. I think his car was similar to underwear to him in that he didn't think much about it and just needed it to perform its intended function (to be fair, I never looked in his underwear drawer so it's possible that he had all kinds of wild and crazy underwear).

I've never heard of an au pair staying for SEVENTEEN YEARS.

I liked that they mixed up the usual pairings/groups which created some new dynamics.

I feel a little bad for Josh. I get that it's weird for Hector that Josh is living with his mom, but why is everyone else being so damn judgmental? If he enjoys her company (which he clearly does), what's the big deal? You're allowed to have friends who are not your age!

• Love 14
On 11/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Josh picking up the desk with one hand and then replacing the water cooler was hilarious. Bonus points for not knocking over any of Mrs. Beattie's (MANY) knickknacks in the process.

That seen had me absolutely rolling. I loved it. And giving Paula a hug while holding the desk as well! 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As soon as I saw Paula measuring her new office, I knew she was procrastinating. I say this as a fellow procrastinator!

I was cracking up about Rebecca calling this a road trip. It takes less than an hour to get from West Covina to Irvine without traffic (right now, Google Maps says it's 42 minutes).

Ha, the Beach Boys song cracked me up.

Darryl's barbecue outfit! Sorry, but if I endured an uncomfortable hourlong drive, I would have at least stayed to eat that damn barbecue and then just taken Lyft home.

I'm glad that Rebecca apologized for blowing up at Darryl, but I wish Darryl had also taken some responsibility for ignoring the boundaries that she tried to set before they left.

In the Heather/Nathaniel fight, I was 80% on Heather's side because she was being nice when she pulled over and then offered him a ride. He was being so fucking rude by bitching about her car the entire time. If you don't have something nice to say, then SHUT UP, especially when someone is doing you a favor. But Heather was out of line for demanding to know what was in the envelope. It's one of your business, lady. Grabbing it was totally over the line and inappropriate.

She was totally right to tell him what a dick he is for insulting her car though. Not everyone consider their car to be a status symbol or an extension of who they are. Yes, her car was old and messy but it got her from home to work and some people are really utilitarian about their cars and drive them until they die. I had a friend who was totally like that even though he made a lot more money than I'm guessing Heather makes. He lived in LA too and did a lot of driving so his feeling about his car was that it just needed to go. I think his car was similar to underwear to him in that he didn't think much about it and just needed it to perform its intended function (to be fair, I never looked in his underwear drawer so it's possible that he had all kinds of wild and crazy underwear).

I liked that they mixed up the usual pairings/groups which created some new dynamics.

I feel a little bad for Josh. I get that it's weird for Hector that Josh is living with his mom, but why is everyone else being so damn judgmental? If he enjoys her company (which he clearly does), what's the big deal? You're allowed to have friends who are not your age!

Not to mention, does Josh have any money? He's a part-time DJ and supplements his income with these hauling gigs. He probably can't afford his own place. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree with you, and I hope this episode starts a trend in redeeming Nathaniel.  I don't think he's really the meanie he looks like right now.  I think he needs to do some growing but I don't think he's too far gone to be redeemable.  The way Heather acted about him being entitled/white/rich, etc. felt offensive to me.  And he didn't mention her ethnic background when he laced into her about her car.  Plus there are a lot of white/rich guys out there that aren't complete dicks.  I don't think he is really one either, he just needs some work to get over past baggage/hurts, which I hope the show continues to pursue for him.

• Love 3

I was irritated the whole episode after the scene with Darryl and Rebecca after they walked into the restaurant because Darryl was SUCH an asshole and yet it seemed like the show didn't see him as such and it was Rebecca who was in the wrong. Noooooooooooooooo.

Rebecca made it clear from MOMENT ONE that she wanted an emotional-discussion-free day. She stated that in clear-cut terms. There was no confusion at all on her part. And Darryl agreed. And then LITERALLY two seconds later, he dove into emotional territory. Rebecca called him on it (nicely) and was like, 'nope, that's not what I want today.' She again re-iterated, making it super-duper, extra clear, that she wanted an emotional-therapy, fun-carefree day. Again, Darryl absolutely agreed. And then proceeded to ignore her wishes OVER and OVER and OVER again. And OVER and OVER and OVER again, she very nicely told him, 'Darryl, I don't want that kind of day, remember?' And he agreed, 'oh, yeah, right.'

They were in HER car, he didn't want to sing the songs she wanted, he took off his shoe in HER car, he ate food in HER car. He didn't do what she VERY clearly asked him not to do and what he agreed not to do from the outset. They get to the restaurant and the very first thing he does, is start going in on the emotional therapy stuff AGAIN.

OH. MY. GOD!

And then... and then... and then... he dares to talk about how she has a disorder to a complete stranger?! That was just wrong in every way.

He was a complete asshole. Rebecca had every right to lose her cool with him. Then he turned around and laid an emotional guilt-trip on her because HE chose to spend his first day away from H*** with her. That was NOT on Rebecca. That was HIS choice, not hers. Then to turn around and make Rebecca come trailing after him, feeling bad and miserable and guilt-ridden and all apologetic, so she could apologize to yet another person.... ugh. I was so not happy. Darryl pissed me off so much.

If you can't tell. Hah! Then at the end when Rebecca said that she was happy that they had that near-kiss moment because it proved that she could be attracted to someone nice, I thought, uhm, no, because Darryl was a complete asshole and made you feel like shit, and then rewarded you by being super-nice and feeding you like a good little girl after you apologized. DUH! That is the only reason you were suddenly, randomly (ick!) attracted to him.

Hmm. So, I'm thinking after typing all of that, yes, maybe the show DID see Darryl as an asshole afterall and that it wasn't Rebecca who was in the wrong and maybe it was all intentional. Double hmm....

In other stories...

- I love Nathaniel. I love Heather. So naturally, I loved every moment with them. He is a jerk, but I'm glad we got acknowledgement that he *knows* that he's a jerk, he just as yet hasn't figured out how to not be a jerk when he's hurt and lonely because he was so walled off from anything approaching normalcy and love other than Heidi and then many years later, Rebecca.

- The desk procrastination story was obvious from the get-go, but Paula and Josh were a fun combo. Donna Lynne Champlin's facial expressions are divine.

- I miss more songs, but I loved, loved, loved the "Trapped in a Car" song and how we got three different eras.

Edited by driver18
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nathaniel did say that "au pair [was] rich [talk] for nanny." Caregiver terms are thrown around pretty freely IRL, especially when people are trying to indicate social status.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's fine Josh and Hector's mom are friends. It's weird their dynamic is more mother-son than friends, though. And living together is a little creepy, especially when they're thinking about buying a place.

2 hours ago, driver18 said:

Donna Lynne Champlin's facial expressions are divine.

- I miss more songs, but I loved, loved, loved the "Trapped in a Car" song and how we got three different eras.

Yes, and yes!

• Love 1

This was another enjoyable episode for me. Hopefully the show can maintain this upswing. It was really nice to see pairings we don't usually get. The Beach Boys medley through the ages was a great number and that really felt "vintage" CEG to me.

I had a different reaction to Daryl than everyone else it seems, which is that they all were really dumping on Daryl big time at the beginning. He may have his flaws with not knowing boundaries and feeling too much, but...don't they all have their issues? I mean it seemed like they gave him a Rebecca plotline this episode where he keeps pushing things too far until he finally learns his lesson and things turn out okay.

I thought the almost-kisses were hilarious because they were so EXPECTED and cliche with this kind of "two unlikely poeple get stuck togehter and learn a lot from each other....and fall in love" storyline.

Josh's heavy lifting with the desk and the water cooler was also great. And I'm glad that it's clear Valencia and Heather will still be on the show regularly.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I came here to say the same thing. He's clearly happy living there, she's clearly happy having him around, and they're probably both saving money. Everyone else needs to get off his back.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's fine Josh and Hector's mom are friends. It's weird their dynamic is more mother-son than friends, though.

Is that really the case? I have racked my brain trying to think of anything Josh has said that sounds like Hector's mom takes care of him or treats him like a dependant. His comments in this episode about how they would like to own real estate didn't sound like a parent and child -- the weirdness was that typically adults don't share ownership of a home unless they are romantically partnered.

• Love 1

Until this episode, it was pretty clear to me that Hector's mom indulged Josh like a son. We've learned he took a day job because she wants him out of the house (and knows what she's doing when he's gone), whereas before they did a ton of stuff together. I think if the actual son is creeped out by the closeness of a platonic relationship between his mom and his friend, there's something weird going on.

I also think that if everyone in your group is skeeved out by your living situation, there's probably something weird about your living situation.

• Love 2

I agree that CEG needs to do a better job rationalizing why Josh/Hector's mom is SOOO skeevy other than the fairly offensive assumption that it's really gross for a younger guy to share living quarters and expenses with an older woman. 

By more work, I just mean the groundwork has been laid, but is referenced so seldom I can see people overlooking it. For the first 2 seasons, Hector's relationship with his mom seemed to lack boundaries, be almost boyfriend/girlfriend like, and was skeevy. So it's like Josh took his place and moved into that skeevy slot, but the show hasn't told us the lack of boundaries is the same, so they need to step it up.

Second, and although CEG has been inconsistent with Josh, at times they have painted him as reluctant to grow up. His mom kicked him out of the house and he ended up at Hector's mom's, so it seems that's another way station forestalling his independence. CEG may want us to forget that Valencia and Josh got a place together.

Josh, IMO, diagnosed Paula exactly right. On a very grounded level, taking the bar, passing, and becoming a lawyer is a natural step - Paula is going to be a great lawyer - she has always had an affinity for the work. OTOH, psychologically and culturally Paula doesn't come from a background where doing grad school and getting a J.D. is commonplace, so there's an uncontrolled anxiety about changing it up. She can't help it, but Josh helped re-ground her.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, driver18 said:

he took off his shoe in HER car, he ate food in HER car

Both of these things happened during the song. I don't think that we are supposed to think they actually happened in reality. (Darryl did noisily sip from a drink before the song started, I believe that was real. But we also saw Nathaniel and Heather playing musical instruments in Heather's car and I don't think that was intended to be real.) 

The rest of Darryl's boundary-crossing emotional neediness was certainly real.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Until this episode, it was pretty clear to me that Hector's mom indulged Josh like a son. We've learned he took a day job because she wants him out of the house (and knows what she's doing when he's gone), whereas before they did a ton of stuff together. I think if the actual son is creeped out by the closeness of a platonic relationship between his mom and his friend, there's something weird going on.

I also think that if everyone in your group is skeeved out by your living situation, there's probably something weird about your living situation.

Their relationship reminds me a little of Stuart's relationship with Howard's mother on "Big Bang Theory", down to living at her house and everyone including Howard thinking there was something off and creepy about their relationship, especially when it was obvious he was doing things for and with her that crossed the line into creepy territory.

4 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Josh, IMO, diagnosed Paula exactly right. On a very grounded level, taking the bar, passing, and becoming a lawyer is a natural step - Paula is going to be a great lawyer - she has always had an affinity for the work. OTOH, psychologically and culturally Paula doesn't come from a background where doing grad school and getting a J.D. is commonplace, so there's an uncontrolled anxiety about changing it up. She can't help it, but Josh helped re-ground her.

Paula reminds me of my own Mom, who was the first woman in her family to ever go to college, then grad. school, doing both as an adult.  She procrastinated forever in getting her thesis done to the point that I told her she had a fear of success.

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Both of these things happened during the song. I don't think that we are supposed to think they actually happened in reality.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think it DID happen. The lyrics in Group Hang, Textmergency, and Seize the Day all had lyrics that inform the actions of the show, so I'm pretty sure we're supposed to use reasonable judgement in which song to take literally (like Friendtopia being too outlandish).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Paula reminds me of my own Mom, who was the first woman in her family to ever go to college, then grad. school, doing both as an adult.  She procrastinated forever in getting her thesis done to the point that I told her she had a fear of success.

My parents left school at 13 and 14, and although my sisters finished high school, I was the first to go to university.
It's incredibly difficult when you have no picture of what you are expected to do. I never attended a single seminar because I thought they were optional and in any case, many were scheduled during my work hours. Paula at least had the help of knowing lawyers and could ask for help on expectations and had access to a better library than most students.

My younger sister did go back to school and got her BSc Nursing when she was 37.  They gave her some of her missing first year credits on the basis that with three sons she would not be bothered by changing adult diapers or faint at the sight of blood.

5 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

My parents left school at 13 and 14, and although my sisters finished high school, I was the first to go to university.
It's incredibly difficult when you have no picture of what you are expected to do. I never attended a single seminar because I thought they were optional and in any case, many were scheduled during my work hours. Paula at least had the help of knowing lawyers and could ask for help on expectations and had access to a better library than most students.

My younger sister did go back to school and got her BSc Nursing when she was 37.  They gave her some of her missing first year credits on the basis that with three sons she would not be bothered by changing adult diapers or faint at the sight of blood.

My Mom was fortunate in that she went for her undergrad. degree at a place and time where there was a lot of help and counseling given to older students by way of a special accelerated program that even granted extra credit for "life experience" based on her grade on specially assigned projects.  If not for that it would have taken her much longer and been much harder.  She finished her undergrad. degree when I was still in high school.  She then went on to grad. school at a different university in a top notch creative writing program.  Through her professors, she and my father met many famous authors of that time at parties.  (This was in NYC).  My mother was a brilliant woman and a natural born student, something I think I inherited.  I think Paula is probably one too.  The only reason they procrastinated was emotional, not because they didn't know what to do.  If anyone could write a thesis, it was my mother.  After graduation she actually went into business editing them for other students!

The Trapped in a Car song was my favorite of the season. The clothes and hair were perfect, as was the general sound of the songs. I say this as an old geezer who lived through it all first hand.

Edited by khyber
  • Love 2

The Trapped in a Car song was my favorite of the season. The clothes and hair was perfect, as was the general sound of the songs. I say this as an old geezer who lived through it all first hand.

The song was good, but the episode itself was boring.   I feel very much like they simply don't have enough story for the episodes they've been given so we get a lot of episodes where very little happens. 

• Love 9

The Trapped in the Car song was definitely the highlight of the episode, they totally nailed the career trajectory of the Beach Boys and a lot of bands like them. I liked the weird pairing this week, and how they used the ensemble in pretty creative ways. I think that Paula/Josh pairing was my highlights, as the two of them have a kind of weird history, mostly of Paula stalking Josh to help Rebecca, and yet have hardly had any screen time together alone. And self aware Josh is pretty awesome, he really nailed what her issue was. 

Nathaniel and Rebecca were also a really good mix, who I cant even remember really talking before this episode. They're both really snarky and are brittle on the outside, and soft on the inside (although Heather is pretty soft now), but are different enough that they still work as an odd couple pairing. Nathaniel was a dick, but Heather shouldn't have grabbed his envelope. But, they both learned something, so its a win! 

Darryl and Rebecca were my least favorite, mostly because I thought they were both rather assy. Rebecca blowing up on Darryl sucked, but he had no business telling some random person about Rebecca's problems, and he really was acting super annoying in the car. I felt like they didnt really learn a lesson either, and that they both should have apologized, and not just Rebecca. Rebecca told Darryl she wanted a fun day, and he just wouldn't stop going on about her stuff. 

I freaking loved all of the almost kisses, complete with sappy music. Thats how so many of these "opposites have to be in enclosed space...get to know each other...fall in love..." stories end, and the mockery of it was super welcome. And I am glad that Heather and Valencia are still in the show, if less so.

17 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The song was good, but the episode itself was boring.   I feel very much like they simply don't have enough story for the episodes they've been given so we get a lot of episodes where very little happens. 

Yeah, I'm pretty darn bored this season. I've rewatched the first couple seasons so many times and this.... is just not doing anything for me. 

• Love 2

I was very very upset that Rebecca apologized to Daryl and it played like she needed to. She told him repeatedly, progressively less calmly to cut it out before blowing up. That's natural, reasonable consequences if ever there were any. If it had been presented more like she apologized because it was an easier way of handling Daryl and not worth it to her to be "right" (or if it were an example of her regressing and just compulsively needing to be liked)  it'd have been a lot more palatable plotwise, but Daryl was the one being an ass here. And I'm not 100% convinced the show presented it that way and it really pissed me off.

• Love 6

I would not have been nearly as patient with Daryl as Rebecca was, and when he gossiped about her "disorder" to the waitstaff, and then called Rebecca rude for being upset about that? I would have gone off on him right then and there, and not have forgiven him nearly as quickly later, and he damn sure wouldn't have gotten an apology.

That sulky pouty stuff Daryl pulled doesn't move me.

I do get that it's a little more complicated with Rebecca because she DOES have a lot of astoundingly bad behavior that everyone's been forgiving her for. So in a way she can't really be holding grudges herself and not be grossly hypocritical.

But I still thought that Daryl was in the wrong here, and he should have apologized to her and not acted like she was the one who fucked up in this particular instance. I actually thought it was very healthy of her to call him on his stuff, and that it was backsliding for her to apologize and blame herself and that made it even worse for me. She's worked so hard to be healthy and have boundaries and communicate in a direct and honest way about what she wants and how she feels. And I thought she did that so well all day long, and then she got shamed and blamed for it and wound up apologizing?

Show, what are you doing?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 9
On 11/17/2018 at 1:05 PM, taragel said:

I had a different reaction to Daryl than everyone else it seems, which is that they all were really dumping on Daryl big time at the beginning. He may have his flaws with not knowing boundaries and feeling too much, but...don't they all have their issues? I mean it seemed like they gave him a Rebecca plotline this episode where he keeps pushing things too far until he finally learns his lesson and things turn out okay.

I'm on the same page as you. I thought the best part of this episode was Daryl actually standing up for himself and telling Rebecca off for constantly being so selfish. I feel like he always is putting up with poor treatment from others because he recognizes where they are coming from and accepts that it isn't from a place of meanness but hurt and he doesn't want to upset them. So I was happy he didn't stand for it. 

Other than that, this episode was kind of meh for me. The pacing- especially at the beginning- was really, really slow. I hated the blocking in the scene with Paula and Scott- the constant cuts from one over the shoulder shot to another was jarring. And most of the plots were predictable. Of course Heather would find out that Nathaniel really has a heart of gold because of the never before mentioned au pair (and why did she not know what an au pair was?). Of course it would take Therapy Josh to point out to Paula that she was fear procrastinating. And of course Rebecca would end up hurting Daryl's feelings because she was so intent on taking a day off from sharing her own. At least the latter story was enjoyable because of the chemistry and personalities of Rachel Bloom and (especially MVP) Pete Gardner. The other actors all seemed to be going through the motions in their pairings.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:19 AM, quangtran said:

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think it DID happen. The lyrics in Group Hang, Textmergency, and Seize the Day all had lyrics that inform the actions of the show, so I'm pretty sure we're supposed to use reasonable judgement in which song to take literally (like Friendtopia being too outlandish).

It's not that lyrics in the song can never reference reality. I would be willing to be persuaded based on contextual clues but I think that (1) showing Heather still driving while holding her bare foot up by the steering wheel and (2) Rebecca saying "where did those come from?" when Darryl was eating the corn chips were both clues that the behaviour was too exaggerated and outlandish to be real and therefore we should read these specific complaints as exaggeration rather than things that actually happened on these road trips.

Echoing the brilliance of Trapped in a Car and its spot-on spoof of the Beach Boys's trajectory. I actually heard Kokomo at a restaurant the day before and was rolling my eyes at what a low moment that was for the band. (And anyone who enjoyed the spoof too might love the movie Grace of My Heart starring Ileana Douglas!)