Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E05: Fish Out Of Water

• Start Topic

Teams are tasked with cooking halibut in seven different ways; a dinner service; an elimination; pianist Stephan Moccio; chef David LeFevre.

Surprised Kevin got the boot, I thought he’d make it to the end. Now we’re stuck with Trev. Why can’t he use his name, Trevor? 

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 4

Thought Kevin would last longer to be honest. Motto is looking pretty strong right now.

54 minutes ago, rainbowrockgal said:

Who was the moron that said "the  Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, but the war wasn't over" after they were chastised??? Geesh!

Trev.

• Love 4

^^^^^  That was going to be my very first question.  I was distracted, heard it and didn't see who was talking.  Good grief.  I know most of the cooks aren't exactly intellectuals but c'mon.

I was happy to see David LeFevre again.  I really liked him on ICA and I'm still mad at Alton for manipulating the scoring so he couldn't win.  OTOH Having the piano player on was pointless.  He must have needed a few (very few) minutes of "fame."  

Kevin seemed to be the most normal and most successful of the bunch.  I guess he wasn't creating enough drama.  Looks like next week Gordon will create enough for both of them.  

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, rainbowrockgal said:

Thanks, I was laughing so hard at his ignorance, I forgot who he was...

It's a line from the movie "Animal House." 

Kevin shouldn't have gone home. I would have sent Chris (what a jerk) or Scott Lee. 

I could not love Christina any more! She knows how to give a meaningful pep talk. 

I was so happy to see my girl Stephanie Beatriz from "Brooklyn Nine Nine," and then we never saw her again! She was in the red dining area. I guess probably she never got served? Or just got up and went home?

eta

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Ellee said:

I’m thinking that Kevin had enough. Wanted to leave.  

I was thinking the same thing.

As for next week's previews, we'll likely be scammed like the last episode where there was no sabotage.  I can't see GR being all teared up emotional.

• Love 5

I'm sure Kevin saw this as a BS thing and wanted to go.  Honestly, this is the worst one for Hell's Kitchen.  There are some on this team who can really cook but I would not want them in a kitchen leading anything.  Mia is one of them.  She is way too frantic and unstable.  Same with the other one who left her station last week.  You can cook but you cannot lead at all.  I actually thought this season would be really good but it's becoming  worse than a hot mess.  You have Trevor here who should have been gone last week.  Honestly I hope the only one that wins is T.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crucial said:

You have Trevor here who should have been gone last week never have been invited back.

Fixed it for ya.  At least we can be glad he's not teaching World War II history somewhere.  We don't need a generation of children believing that Germany bombed Pearl Harbor.

• Love 6

It seems that Trev took it as some sort of personal challenge that he wasn’t my most-hated HK cheftestant.  Good job wresting the title from Brett!

Seriously, dude.  There was no call to call T a bitch, talking head or not.  Ass.

I normally do not like puns, but David Lefevre saying T’s dish was done “to a T” complete with wink made me laugh.  And the fact she took Trev’s ass out with her win was just icing on the cake.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, rainbowrockgal said:

It may be a quote from Animal House, but he still should have known better than to put it out there where many/most viewers wouldn't know the reference... Just makes him look ignorant, not cool.

Trev’s got enough reasons to make himself look ignorant. Generally they come from his misogyny. 

Edited by DropTheSoap
Fix spelling
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I knew Trev's allusion,  rainbowrockgal, but when he said the line so dead-pan, I wondered if the movie wasn't a leetle too old for many HK viewers! 

The show in general is starting to bore me. People still eat Beef Wellington?

I'm older than dirt, but I still didn't get the movie reference.  I figured he was just stupid.  I've seen nothing to make me believe he's clever enough to pull in a movie quote . . . 

I don't know if "people" still eat Beef Wellington, but I do.  Gonna be at Gordon's Hell's Kitchen in Las Vegas in March, and have already decided to order it.  I had the Welly at Gordon's London Steakhouse in the Paris Hotel, and I almost emulated Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm older than dirt, but I still didn't get the movie reference.  I figured he was just stupid.  I've seen nothing to make me believe he's clever enough to pull in a movie quote . . . 

Me too, and I did see the movie but made no connection to the quote.   Anyway, Trevor is an asshat.

• Love 5

It's a dead horse,  but trust me, AZChristian,  Trevor WAS quoting the movie. 

As for the show's boring me,  maybe I should have expressed it this way: I'm about done with Gordon's same old,  same old of risotto,  BW,  and over- and under-cooked "proteins". 

• Love 3

I thought beef Wellingtons were hard enough for these people. I don't eat lobster, but isn't most seafood kind of delicate? How the heck do you correctly cook lobster inside of pastry? I picture a lot of raw or very overcooked lobster.

Edited by aliya
  • Love 1

I'm no fan of Trevor, but I consider Animal House a classic, and "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" to be one of the most memorable lines.  John Belushi at his absolute best.  I'm somewhat sad so many people here appear to be unfamiliar with the movie.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I'm no fan of Trevor, but I consider Animal House a classic, and "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" to be one of the most memorable lines.  John Belushi at his absolute best.  I'm somewhat sad so many people here appear to be unfamiliar with the movie.

I saw Animal House in the theater. Once was enough for me, so I didn't remember the line. I did think that Trevor was joking, though.

• Love 1

Unless it's super popular, probably leave movie references at home, contestants. And Trev so is not a comedian, so stop attempting please - if you want to be a serious chef, show us that side and your professional skills. leave funny/snark at home. see: kevin

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I'm a big fan of Animal House as it came out when I was in college so it was a huge deal for people my age.  But it's transcended being for my generation to being a classic in general even with younger people, so I too am sad that there is a lot of unfamiliarity with the movie.  Then again, my husband caught the quote while I was nodding off, which says a lot about how I'm feeling about this show in general these days.  I went back to watch it again and I definitely think Trevor was quoting the movie, even though he is still a bonehead.

Judging from how successful Kevin is at this stage of his career, I wonder why he was invited back to the show in the first place.  Ramsay even told him that he had enough going on as if he was wondering why he was there too.  I agree that his heart wasn't in it but I also wonder if he wasn't invited back specifically to be expendable.  Like he could easily be eliminated when Ramsay didn't want to eliminate someone else.

Two things I have trouble getting past:

The smoking. I know people smoke, I get it. But it's disgusting and fortunately I don't hang out with people who do. The thought that people who cook food smoke just...I can't. And I know I'm in denial because my sister has worked in restaurants for most of her life. How are their palates not clouded? Maybe that's why so many have trouble with that particular Hell's Kitchen taste test?  Just a thought.

The lighting. (The way it's filmed.) The scallops always look gross to me. All of the food looks shiny, like it's been shellacked. Masterchef is done on film* so why isn't this show?

*I realize nothing is done on film anymore but MC *looks* like it's shot on film; at least, the food looks more appetizing than on this show. It looks like they're cooking in a supermarket. (Or maybe it's supposed to look like "hell"? ha)

As for this episode? Kevin was too level-headed to last. No drama. It does feel like Gizzy (Gizzie?) might go all the way. Nice pep talk by Christina! And how can Chris skate through week after week?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm a big fan of Animal House as it came out when I was in college so it was a huge deal for people my age.  But it's transcended being for my generation to being a classic in general even with younger people, so I too am sad that there is a lot of unfamiliarity with the movie.  Then again, my husband caught the quote while I was nodding off, which says a lot about how I'm feeling about this show in general these days.  I went back to watch it again and I definitely think Trevor was quoting the movie, even though he is still a bonehead.

He was definitely quoting the movie.  My 15 year old son knows the line and would recognize it, so I remain shocked that so many people here had no idea where it came from.

Trevor remains horrible, though.

• Love 6
On 11/5/2018 at 7:11 PM, Colorado David said:

Unless it's super popular, probably leave movie references at home, contestants. And Trev so is not a comedian, so stop attempting please - if you want to be a serious chef, show us that side and your professional skills. leave funny/snark at home. see: kevin

If you want to be a serious chef, you shouldn’t be on this clown car of a realit show, which has basically nothing to do with being a great, serious, or even competent chef.

List me as another who is amazed that people seriously thought Trev, who appears to be an idiot either way, was being serious with the well known classic Belushi line from Animal House. 

Finally, anyone else get a chuckle out of the voiceover guy breathlessly intoning “As the A List celebs arrive”, to a quick set of pics of three D List celebs?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

Finally, anyone else get a chuckle out of the voiceover guy breathlessly intoning “As the A List celebs arrive”, to a quick set of pics of three D List celebs?

I always wonder HOW they manage to get any 'celebs' to show up on this show - they don't get to promote anything, so really what is the point? I did like it when Joe Montegna appeared, as I'm a big Criminal Minds fan. I don't mind the Olympic athletes either. Everyone else can bugger off :)

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

I always wonder HOW they manage to get any 'celebs' to show up on this show - they don't get to promote anything, so really what is the point?

Free food and major ass kissing by GR and his staff.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, MajorWoody said:

Yeah, the "A List" thing was hysterical. 

The melodramatic tone of next week's preview was also unintentionally funny. "A very special edition of Hell's Kitchen" indeed. Get out the handkerchiefs. It's Hallmark Network movie time. (Has there ever actually been a "very special edition of Hell's Kitchen? 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Ellee said:

Who was the one that Christina gave the encouraging words to?  Have a feeling she’s the one that will overcome all odds and win this.  

I think that's a good call. Gizzie (still the worst name ever) getting the "talented chef with no confidence" story line probably means she's around until the end, if not the actual winner. She will talk about how being on this show changed their life and give thanks to St. Gordon. 

In retrospect I should've known Kevin was going home because of that scene where he talked to Trev about all the big, incredible things happening in his career. They were building the story line that he wasn't genuinely hungry to win, like the other contestants. I'm with those who can't understand why he came back.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2018 at 2:02 AM, bluepiano said:

Yeah, the "A List" thing was hysterical. 

The melodramatic tone of next week's preview was also unintentionally funny. "A very special edition of Hell's Kitchen" indeed. Get out the handkerchiefs. It's Hallmark Network movie time. (Has there ever actually been a "very special edition of Hell's Kitchen? 

I think that's a good call. Gizzie (still the worst name ever) getting the "talented chef with no confidence" story line probably means she's around until the end, if not the actual winner. She will talk about how being on this show changed their life and give thanks to St. Gordon. 

In retrospect I should've known Kevin was going home because of that scene where he talked to Trev about all the big, incredible things happening in his career. They were building the story line that he wasn't genuinely hungry to win, like the other contestants. I'm with those who can't understand why he came back.

Kevin came back to win $250,000

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, WendyM said:

Two things I have trouble getting past:

The smoking. I know people smoke, I get it. But it's disgusting and fortunately I don't hang out with people who do. The thought that people who cook food smoke just...I can't. And I know I'm in denial because my sister has worked in restaurants for most of her life. How are their palates not clouded? Maybe that's why so many have trouble with that particular Hell's Kitchen taste test?  Just a thought.

The lighting. (The way it's filmed.) The scallops always look gross to me. All of the food looks shiny, like it's been shellacked. Masterchef is done on film* so why isn't this show?

*I realize nothing is done on film anymore but MC *looks* like it's shot on film; at least, the food looks more appetizing than on this show. It looks like they're cooking in a supermarket. (Or maybe it's supposed to look like "hell"? ha)

As for this episode? Kevin was too level-headed to last. No drama. It does feel like Gizzy (Gizzie?) might go all the way. Nice pep talk by Christina! And how can Chris skate through week after week?

I guess you'd better not read Anthony Bourdain's 'Kitchen Confidential'. It might put you off food for life.