Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

(edited)

This show hasn't respected nor given much consideration to its audience in years. I don't see why they would start now. Well, tossing Whoopi & Raven would show me that they're at least leaning in the right direction.

I know I'm old & out of touch but that nose ring in Raven's "best friend's" nose was a real distraction. I just cannot comprehend the desire to "adorn" one's mucus membrane. 'Snot very flattering IMO.

Oops, just realized this should be in the episode thread.

Edited by Fisher King
Edited cuz I'm trippin' dude.
  • Love 6

oh good lord!!!

CCB feels SO unsupported on The View

Yeah, she's on Fox News giving an interview, they LOVE her there. 

“This is one of the craziest election years I think any of us have ever known," she told FOX411. "It’s just so wild. I always think to myself ‘What a year for me to have joined ‘The View’ during this political race for the presidency.’” 

Bure, who joined the show in 2015, revealed that it can be hard to be the only conservative host on the show.

"I realize sometimes I am the lone conservative or lone Republican sitting at the table somedays. And somedays it’s hard to not have backup but we are all there to share our opinions and I think that’s one thing that about me, I don’t get hot headed.”

The "Fuller House" star said though discussions can turn contentious, she doesn't think her co-hosts mean any harm.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, backformore said:

oh good lord!!!

CCB feels SO unsupported on The View

Yeah, she's on Fox News giving an interview, they LOVE her there. 

LOL at her calling herself the "lone Republican" or even "Republican."  Is she taking notes from Bitsy?     I sincerely doubt this woman ever gave a second thought to politics before her gig on this show.   Or really anything outside her Malibu bubble.   

• Love 6

Michelle Collins officially leaves The View

In an Instagram post, she wrote:

Well, the news is out: I’m leaving The View. Yes, I’m officially the newest member of the “One Seasoner” club, the latest graduate of talk show boot camp, ending what has been, simply put, the most surreal and fabulous year of my life. I want to say a big thanks to EVERYONE at the show... They’re an incredibly hard-working group of talented people. Special thanks to Whoopi for always having my back and, you know, being an icon. And to all of you: I see your tweets, I see your messages, and I’m sending you all the heart emojis. Many exciting things await, can’t wait to share everything with you!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

So Michelle is never coming back?? That's it?

Even Bitsy got a five minute send off. This show is worse than I thought.

I'm not sure which is worse ... just being dropped with no acknowledgement of your departure, or having to go back and do a schmaltzy send off thing after having been sidelined for weeks because you have been deemed unfit to appear on the show. 

If those were my choices, I'd rather just vanish into the mist like a phantom, myself.  Everyone knows you got dumped, no point in trying to pretend it was anything else.  Why put yourself through it? 

Although what may be even worse is everyone knowing you are being fired and you have to keep showing up and act like nothing is happening, like is supposedly going on with Raven.  That has to burn. 

This show just sucks.  They treat people like crap. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Vinyasa said:

The intro has looked stupid for months. It is going to look even worse if they add airhead Sara Haines to it now.

Maybe they will just cut out Michelle.

I agree that intro was stupid for the first three months and the last two at least since CCB didn't show up until November (and is now hopefully gone for good too) and then just making Michelle disappear.  Lame.  

Vinyasa, I'm sorry that your hate on Sara Haines cracks me up.  I'm sure I will be hating on her by Christmas, LOL. 

3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm not sure which is worse ... just being dropped with no acknowledgement of your departure, or having to go back and do a schmaltzy send off thing after having been sidelined for weeks because you have been deemed unfit to appear on the show. 

If those were my choices, I'd rather just vanish into the mist like a phantom, myself.  Everyone knows you got dumped, no point in trying to pretend it was anything else.  Why put yourself through it? 

Although what may be even worse is everyone knowing you are being fired and you have to keep showing up and act like nothing is happening, like is supposedly going on with Raven.  That has to burn. 

This show just sucks.  They treat people like crap. 

It really does and they really do.    Each season they reach new lows on this and that's why I will always love love love the way Starr chose to go out.  That was the best.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I really liked Michelle. I found her sarcastic wit and humor brought a different energy to the table. However, I felt her days were numbered when Joy decided to come back at the eleventh hour. I think MC was hired as the bawdy comic to fill the Joy position at the table. Then when Joy decided to come back, Michelle really wasn't needed anymore.

Edited by rags
  • Love 10

I don't watch this show that much in recent years, but I watched a whole bunch of clips recently and was shocked how incredible stupid Raven Symone is. I had no clue she was this dim.

• Love 15

I don't blame Michelle except she might be missing a paycheck unless ABC will pay her through her contract. Sitting there like a lame duck while your replacement (Sara) is ingratiating herself to the rest of the panel wouldn't be worth it IMO.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Vinyasa said:

Michelle won't be on the show again....... says she will be "in the office" 

http://deadline.com/2016/06/the-view-co-host-search-live-kelly-ripa-short-list-1201774740/

Also "The View is dark now through July 4 and also will be dark in the month of August." so that makes sense that the opening has now removed Michelle from it.

Unless they are pre-taping, the show is still airing "live". Tickets are available, currently until July 20th.

17 hours ago, rags said:

I really liked Michelle. I found her sarcastic wit and humor brought a different energy to the table. However, I felt her days were numbered when Joy decided to come back at the eleventh hour. I think MC was hired as the bawdy comic to fill the Joy position at the table. Then when Joy decided to come back, Michelle really wasn't needed anymore.

I hadn't thought of that but it's a good point @rags.   I was thinking she was hired for the '30's something single girl slot' but your point makes more sense.  

(edited)
6 hours ago, rcc said:

I don't blame Michelle except she might be missing a paycheck unless ABC will pay her through her contract. Sitting there like a lame duck while your replacement (Sara) is ingratiating herself to the rest of the panel wouldn't be worth it IMO.

I'm guessing it wasn't her choice not to appear again. I just hope she got her full paycheck in spite of this. I didn't think someone could get a rougher boot than Rosie Perez (and, I suppose, Nicolle, too, although a lot of her behavior towards the end kept me from feeling too sorry for her), but they managed it. I'm sure they'll let Candace and Raven at least have send-offs "everything's so busy with Fuller House/I'm going to college," etc.

It doesn't look like they're responding to viewer feedback either, what with Whoopi getting signed another year and Raven/Jedi being on regularly.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4

It is no skin off ABC's teeth to keep paying Michelle so I'll be they are. Looking back, it seemed Michelle was showing up less and less since January. I remember when Whoopi was excited she was back and made a reference that ABC should have her there more.

Also, it seemed Michelle was never on the days when airhead Sara Haines was on. Wish I had paid more attention! I think it was decided earlier than we all realized that airhead Sara was the replacement for Michelle.

Was Michelle there for the over the top baby shower?

5 hours ago, rcc said:

I vaguely recall that Michelle became "official" at some point last summer, not at the season's launch in September.  There was one episode where Whoopi mumbled something about Michelle being on contract and that they were still working to get Raven on board. Regardless, I suspect ABC News has everything strictly laid out in its standard contract, whether the hosts are paid per episode, per week, per month, or by time intervals.  I know that daytime dramas have 13-week cycles.  The news division likely works in a similar manner.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It doesn't look like they're responding to viewer feedback either, what with Whoopi getting signed another year and Raven/Jedi being on regularly.

Shocker.   This show is rude to everyone but mostly to it's viewers.  

34 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

It is no skin off ABC's teeth to keep paying Michelle so I'll be they are. Looking back, it seemed Michelle was showing up less and less since January. I remember when Whoopi was excited she was back and made a reference that ABC should have her there more.

Also, it seemed Michelle was never on the days when airhead Sara Haines was on. Wish I had paid more attention! I think it was decided earlier than we all realized that airhead Sara was the replacement for Michelle.

Was Michelle there for the over the top baby shower?

I couldn't remember either so I looked up a picture/clip and it's just Miss Whoopi, Born Again Barbie, Joy, and Paula.   No Michelle or Raven. 

• Love 1

I doubt that Joy decided to "come back" just so that Michelle would soon get the boot. I'm pretty sure the show wooed her to come back and she finally said yes. I mean, this reads like when Jonathan Jackson returned to General Hospital to reprise the role of Lucky Spencer, and people were looking at him, because Greg Vaugn got fired. Forgetting that that Asshole Guza, had been trying for years to get Jonathan back, and Jonathan finally said yes. Of course, he left after a year, due to the sucky ass writing, but there you go.

Frankly, if anyone deserved the boot, it's Candace. She offers nothing But "Jesus is my salvation and savior" and tended to act like this show was the "700 Club," and not the gabfest it is.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think it's Joy's fault at all that she got fired. It comes across more to me that they didn't think they could get Joy back and went ahead with Michelle for a similar vibe, but at the last minute Joy changed her mind. I think there was room for both of them at the table despite their similarities, considering Michelle offered a lot of things nobody at the table does (young, single, Jewish, just starting her career).

I'm sure that if Joy was in charge of the firings, Raven would be out the door already. Actually, I don't even know if that's true. Joy has said in the past that for her the show is about supporting one another and making the show work. I can't see her firing people, although I'm sure she'd like more creative control.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Vinyasa said:

Other than Meredith, Lisa Ling, and BW has any co-host left by their own choice without any drama?

Good point!  Tough gig, apparently.  Mostly cuz of Whoops, imho.  The term, "Cluster fuck" fits. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I don't think Barbara left on her own. Just an opinion.

I don't think so either @ginger90!   Remember they waited until she was out of the country (on a cruise or something) to announce her forthcoming "retirement"?   And for that we all had to pay:  The Year of Barbara by Barbara Walters.  Ugh.  

So really, it's just Meredith and Lisa's departures that were drama free and not coincidentally because of much better job offers.   

• Love 3
On 6/19/2016 at 7:27 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Wasn't Barbara a co-producer?

She was until she left and I think that was mostly a courte$y credit since she sold her rights to the show before that.   The View 2.0 (S18) started off with a new set in a new studio with new showrunners.  Of course, they left one thing the same (Whoopi) who poisoned the well in my opinion.  This season, The View 3.0 has seen the show move to the ABC News (hahahaha) budget, new exec producers, etc. and yet...   The only thing that kept this season watchable for me was Joy's return.   

• Love 8

Went to see Whoopi's live show last night.  She started off by saying how happy she was to see so many people because people in Texas have been very upset with her lately.  She did about 40 minutes of material and it was kind of funny, not hilarious.  I have heard her cover most of the topics  in small snippets at The View or in interviews. The stories were just more fleshed out.  I was surprised how much political humor she did.  She didn't call Trump by name, but everyone knew who she was talking about.  She is a lot more articulate in her act and it has a nice flow.  She seems to do better when she is the only one speaking and she is able to use profanity.  Her whole persona is different from on the show.  She only said "I'm sorry" once when she got a little preachy at one point about child rearing, but it wasn't overbearing.  After her set, she opens the show to the audience for questions.  This went on far too long and I left before it was over.  She never got short tempered or frustrated.   My overall impression is that she is one way with her famous friends, she can be very charming and kind with her adoring audience and she is a different person on the panel.  Most of the questioners just gushed and complimented and several cried to the point where I was looking for the exit.  One person asked what was the hardest part of working with "some co-workers who were difficult and whom she disagrees with."  She said they are all paid to give their opinions and that's what they do and no one takes it personally.  She said she is able to listen to others opinions and respect them and take them under consideration.  Say what??? She said it with a straight face.  Most of the people knew her from movie roles.  At one point during her act, an usher (with a flashlight) brought a couple down to show them their front row seats.  Someone who was already seated seemed to get a little upset.  She stopped the show, asked everyone to calm down, said the usher was just doing her job so please let her do it.  Then she asked one person if they would mind moving over one seat so that the couple could sit together. I think she loves to be in charge, she loves to be worshiped and adored and she wants to be the only one speaking.  

I still don't like her and can't wait for her to leave The View.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Went to see Whoopi's live show last night.  She started off by saying how happy she was to see so many people because people in Texas have been very upset with her lately.  She did about 40 minutes of material and it was kind of funny, not hilarious.  I have heard her cover most of the topics  in small snippets at The View or in interviews. The stories were just more fleshed out.  I was surprised how much political humor she did.  She didn't call Trump by name, but everyone knew who she was talking about.  She is a lot more articulate in her act and it has a nice flow.  She seems to do better when she is the only one speaking and she is able to use profanity.  Her whole persona is different from on the show.  She only said "I'm sorry" once when she got a little preachy at one point about child rearing, but it wasn't overbearing.  After her set, she opens the show to the audience for questions.  This went on far too long and I left before it was over.  She never got short tempered or frustrated.   My overall impression is that she is one way with her famous friends, she can be very charming and kind with her adoring audience and she is a different person on the panel.  Most of the questioners just gushed and complimented and several cried to the point where I was looking for the exit.  One person asked what was the hardest part of working with "some co-workers who were difficult and whom she disagrees with."  She said they are all paid to give their opinions and that's what they do and no one takes it personally.  She said she is able to listen to others opinions and respect them and take them under consideration.  Say what??? She said it with a straight face.  Most of the people knew her from movie roles.  At one point during her act, an usher (with a flashlight) brought a couple down to show them their front row seats.  Someone who was already seated seemed to get a little upset.  She stopped the show, asked everyone to calm down, said the usher was just doing her job so please let her do it.  Then she asked one person if they would mind moving over one seat so that the couple could sit together. I think she loves to be in charge, she loves to be worshiped and adored and she wants to be the only one speaking.  

I still don't like her and can't wait for her to leave The View.

Interesting post. Especially the last two sentences. I agree.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

...  Most of the questioners just gushed and complimented and several cried to the point where I was looking for the exit...

LOL Morgalisa!  Thanks for not only taking one for the team and reporting back!    Don't you think those Q&A sessions are pre-screened?   I mean, no one ever asks her why she tells The View audience not to Tweet/email her because she doesn't care what they/we think? 

• Love 5

Medicine Crow, I'm not sorry I went because I love stand up,  but on the other hand if I had passed I wouldn't have minded either. She is not the best stand up comedian I have ever seen. Not in the top 5 even. I saw others around mr cringing during the Q&A. I think it is a device for a lazy comic who doesn't have enough material. I have seen Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and Dave Chappele fill 2 hours or more masterfully.

Cosmo, I don't think the questions were prescreened. She kind of abruptly stopped her act and said nobody knew she was going to do it and she asked them to set up mics on each side of the aisle.  It took a little while to do this. Then she asked for 15 people to line up on each side. One guy was so drunk he was unintelligible and everyone yelled for him to sit down. We were sitting way up in the mezzanine and she even called on several people up there. We couldn't really hear the questions from the orchestra and they probably couldn't really hear the questions from the mezzanine.  Sometimes she would repeat the question for the audience.  As for the softball questions, my husband remarked that, unlike me, most people wont pay to see someone they dislike intensely. Lol. I was just curious how someone so unlikable could keep an audience's attention.

• Love 8

It does seem rather cheap of a stand-up comic to spend a lot of time taking questions.

But, @Morgalisa, did she start the show by saying:  Welcome to my show, Y'all, Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show?

• Love 15
1 hour ago, backformore said:

It does seem rather cheap of a stand-up comic to spend a lot of time taking questions.

But, @Morgalisa, did she start the show by saying:  Welcome to my show, Y'all, Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show,Welcome to my show?

Bwahahaha!  

• Love 4
(edited)

What a clusterfuck. As we always say the revolving door didn't start until Whoopi took over. I wonder if one of her conditions to sign on again was that Paula would be shown the door? As annoying as Paula can be I still like that she's never been a suckup towards Whoopi. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4
(edited)

If it's true then Miss Whoopi has bullied another panelist from this show. ABC enjoys her bluster, self importance and rudeness I guess. She doesn't even watch their news, she proclaimed that she watches BBC News right in front of Paula a while back.

Miss Whoopi is the female equivalent of Donald Trump. Big ego and a bully. 

Edited by rcc
Edited to post that over at Paula's twitter she says she's "not going anywhere."
  • Love 6

Am I the only one that doesn't mind revolving panelists? It keeps the show interesting. Remember how stagnant the Sherri/Lis/Joy/BW/Joy years got by the middle/end?

It also allows for different and fresh perspectives. Especially if the chemistry isn't there.

(edited)

“ABC News was hoping [Paula] would bring a more conservative perspective to the show because she’s a conservative Christian. But she doesn’t own her opinions and the audience never connects with anyone who’s pretending,” a source told us.

To make matters worse, market research found Faris unlikable to viewers, according to the source.

“ABC News did research and Paula scored some of the lowest numbers ever that the network had seen,” the source said.

Thank goodness! Paula was awful. I'm so glad ABC saw it. It was like she never watched the show before joining it - she rarely gave her opinion, she instead used her time to give the details of the story. Fine if she was the moderator but not her role as a panelist. I assume the nail in the coffin was when she publicly dissed the show (as if she wasn't a part of it) during the primaries. 

The show is much better with Joy/Sunny/Jed. Although, I wish they would replace Raven with a smart young person. That voice is really missing from this show.

I hate the revolving door of co-hosts. it is sinking the show. There is such thing as group chemistry.

Edited by Miss Slay
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Miss Slay said:

I assume the nail in the coffin was when she publicly dissed the show (as if she wasn't a part of it) during the primaries. 

What did she say?

(edited)

I believe she criticized the panelists for "becoming the story," as if she didn't know what show she'd joined. This is the way the show has run for a decade or more.

I don’t really care about Paula possibly being fired, considering I stopped tolerating her presence as "the conservative" halfway through the season and it would be nice to know she won’t be able to manipulate the show/topics anymore. My only thought is—are they going to replace her with that troll Jedidiah? Because she is 10x worse than Paula in every possible way, which would completely undermine any thought process behind eliminating Paula from the show. And there’s the fact that Raven/Candace deserve to go before her. No doubt Whoopi has everything to do with it. It's incredible ABC would give that know-nothing monster any control over this show after the past two years of first demolishing the Nicolle/two Rosie's panel, and then showing her lack of knowledge in how to run a talkshow when she basically hired Raven/Michelle as co-hosts, neither of whom have been popular.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the article reads like someone who doesn't watch the show, as usual. "She never owns her opinions"--even I would have to disagree with that.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 4