Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

LOL - Be careful what you wish for because that article says:

The source said: 'There's now a buzz backstage that ABC is going to let Whoopi work for the months of her existing contract until December and then not have her return after the holiday break.

'They would then shift Joy to the regular moderator post and bring back Sherri Shepherd full-time to pick up the slack.'

Swell...

• Love 1

This makes me wonder if someone in Sherri's camp is telling tales out of school. While I do believe Whoopi would act like such a fool I have a hard time believing anyone at ABC would think Sherri could help the show. 

And as far as Whoopi's behavior goes all I got to say is I'm not surprised in the least.  She has always put herself first.  This gig was just a paycheck to her.  She didn't/doesn't give one whit about her job performance.  All I can say the sooner she leaves the better it will be for everyone.  Especially the viewers.

• Love 11

Joy moderating everyday would be a dream. I guess I'll take Sherri if it means Raven/Michelle are gone. Could you imagine all three of them at the same time though? And where would Candace and Paula be? Even if they got rid of those two, a panel of Joy/Sherri/Candace/Paula would be a mess, since the latter three would bring up religion for every single topic they ever discussed, inbetween a few "As a mother...!!"'s.

But this part:

"The View continues to suffer from all-time low ratings - down in its Season 19 premiere despite its revamped panel of hosts. It also lost its key demographic - women aged 25-54 - to CBS’s daytime talk show The Talk."

Far be it from me to defend The View, but that's not true. The media just enjoys pitting it and The Talk together and pretend like the ratings are bottom-of-the-barrel, when there isn't much distance between their ratings. Kind of reminds me of how articles used to say American Idol was doing worse than The Voice two years before it actually was doing worse. lol They can't let little things like facts get in the way of the narrative.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3

There is so much tension on the set you could slice it with a knife. Whoopi has seriously over estimated her appeal, her talent and her power but nobody wants to publicly confront her. Time for the big guns to come in and tell her she's done. Give cover to the other ladies. 

• Love 10

In true tabloid form parts of that Daily Mail article do ring true to me.  Like this:

• Whoopi acted out after the meeting for the Hot Topics segment was moved to an earlier time - outside of her contracted hours

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3249172/I-s-just-n-r-following-orders-master-s-12-Years-Whoopi-View-host-Whoopi-Goldberg-uses-slave-dialect-voice-frustration-rampage-against-ABC-execs.html#ixzz3nAEmgVig
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Reportedly,  last season RO suggested daily 8:00 am show meetings and Whoopi had a fit.  RO was called a controlling tyrant egomaniac diva, blah blah blah.    Now someone at ABC is paying attention and thinks a daily meetings before the show are a good idea and  Whoopi would need to show up at 8:30 instead of 9:00  But really this story just speaks to how much Whoopi Goldberg doesn't care about the quality of this show.  Not exactly news of course but that's why I really wanted ABC to put her name on it - I thought it might make her care about it. 

If The View is still failing in the ratings though I'm not surprised.  It's still the same shitty show with lame guests, bad interviewers (reading from cards, wrong facts, not listening, etc) and unqualified co-hosts. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

There is so much tension on the set you could slice it with a knife. Whoopi has seriously over estimated her appeal, her talent and her power but nobody wants to publicly confront her. Time for the big guns to come in and tell her she's done. Give cover to the other ladies. 

This.

• Love 2

Even, I, who has supported and defended Whoopi in the past, can hear the Daily Mail's quotes in Whoopi's voice and can believe these reports are true.

Me too!  Her saying the N word on the show yesterday was telling, almost like it was a dare and another line crossed.    

• Love 6

I truly believe she had a meltdown (even though she is grown up). As far as someone trying to do her job - well YES! She isn't and won't work a minute longer than her contracted hours. So she misses a meeting and is po'd.

And she has broken into the "slave dialect" on the show live. Then she ends it all with a bad period "joke." Can't stand her.

• Love 4

I didnt hear her say "Someone is trying to do my job" like it says in the headlines.... what she did say was people just cant let me be me and do my job.... everyone wants to do my job.... no I dont do meltdowns.

It is really too bad that so many people embellish on what is said because what is actually true is not really news worthy

• Love 1

Whoopi denies meltdown, cites 'she's a grown woman' But maintains that somebody IS trying to do HER job.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/09/29/whoopi-goldberg-the-view-denies-meltdown-n-word-slave/

Seems to me she's not really denying and argument, disagreement, or anything, just saying that what happened didn't qualify as a "meltdown".  And there's no "bad blood"  between her and ABC, because she's post-menopause. 

It's a non-denial denial.   She isn't saying "everything is fine between me and ABC", which is what someone WOULD  say if the whole thing was made up. 

• Love 1

Then she ends it all with a bad period "joke."

Good grief.  She can't even manage a TMZ encounter without making some gross crack about her bodily functions.  Even the TMZ kid said something like, "I don't even know how to respond to that."  

• Love 5

Oooooh, the tattle tales have turned on Whoopi (er the one tattle tale that was on Whoopi's side was shown the door last year).  I get a kick out of how closely the DM follows everything associated with this show.  And we know that most of their reporting last year, unfortunately turned out to be true.

I don't doubt for one minute that Whoopi went on this particular rampage, it's very fitting with the personality we've seen consistently displayed on tehSpew.

• Love 5

I think it is funny how Whoopie who is always extolling the virtues of the N word and that it is no longer derogatory was referring to herself as a N, in her efforts to shame these producers who are basically telling her to take her job seriously.  I do not feel sorry for her because of what she did to Rosie and I am pretty sure Rosie was difficult to deal with at times. However, I don't think she deserved that type of bullying from Whoopie on and off the air...

• Love 12

Dealing with difficult people is part of everyone's jobs! What does she have on the producers?

A contract.  Apparently no matter how she behaves as long as she shows up she gets paid.  And if she is asked to stay home she gets paid.  So Whoopi can pretty much do whatever she wants.  I don't think she realizes she is hurting herself in the long run.  People are going to remember her tenure on the View and it won't be favorably.

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 11

Same here, the fact that she would say that ABC is a plantation and she is a slave says alot about her ignorance about her ancestors and what they went through, so that she can be driven every day to her high paying, 4 day a week  job at ABC....I need Whoopie to take several seats...You are a truly a slave Whoopie, to your own ignorance and stupidity...Yes, I called you Stupid...Don't tweet me, don't text me and don't call me,  cause I don't care...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 22

Reportedly,  last season RO suggested daily 8:00 am show meetings and Whoopi had a fit.

You're getting paid all that money and you can't meet at 8 am to prep for the show? I mean if Barbara Walters did it, why couldn't Whoopi? 

When Barbara and Meredith were there back in the day, that's what they did. They would meet while they were getting their make-up and hair done and discuss that day's show. I remember them covering that when they had one of those behind the scene shows.

Jeesh, I miss Rosie, and we don't need Sherri. 

Rather they need to choose between Sherri and Michelle, one or the other, but not both.

When Rosie first came back, not the second go round, but the first time when Elizabeth was still there, she did have more power. From the confetti coming down, to the shows on adoption, that is what she use to cover a lot on her talk show on ABC years ago. So when I saw that, I knew that they were taking some direction from her, she loves to rain confetti, loves it. The show had a bubbly feel to it just like her old show. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

When Rosie first came back, not the second go round, but the first time when Elizabeth was still there, she did have more power. From the confetti coming down, to the shows on adoption, that is what she use to cover a lot on her talk show on ABC years ago. So when I saw that, I knew that they were taking some direction from her, she loves to rain confetti, loves it. The show had a bubbly feel to it just like her old show.

True but when she came back the second time she wasn't the moderator anymore which weakened her position and of course Whoopi was a part of the cast and as she has clearly shown Whoopi doesn't like to share the Queen B crown.

When she is finally shown the door I would love for Rosie to make a triumphant return with Joy and three other cohosts to be determined.  Maybe, just maybe, the View could be watchable again.

• Love 5

A contract. Apparently no matter how she behaves as long as she shows up she gets paid. And if she is asked to stay home she gets paid. So Whoopi can pretty much do whatever she wants. I don't think she realizes she is hurting herself in the long run. People are going to remember her tenure on the View and it won't be favorably.

Yep, I have long believed (and may have even said as much here previously) that at some point this became a genuine grudge match between WG and ABC. She has made clear for a long time that she doesn't want to be there and misbehaves both in front of and behind the camera in the hopes that they will finally cut her loose while she still gets her payday. ABC meanwhile refuses to play her game and holds her to her contract, even to the point of using it, in part, to kill her sitcom hopes last year. It will be interesting to see if there's any truth to the rumor that they might let her go after the holidays this year or if they will force her to stick it out to the bitter end of her contract.

• Love 7

So Whoopi says: 

"People just can't let me do my job."

in response to the meltdown inquiry. No doubt there was a Whoopi tirade and the N word and slave references were thrown out there by Whoopi. 

Whoopi, this ain't your show.  You are not the queen. You are an employee. 

• Love 8

Whoopi slept through the first few years....woke up and got on her high horse when threatened by RO's capabilities as moderator. She has never been a team player. Now she is a bully as well. I hope she rides off in the sunset in Dec. It will be worth it to most viewers, imo, and ABC as well.

• Love 15

Whoopi slept through the first few years....woke up and got on her high horse when threatened by RO's capabilities as moderator. She has never been a team player. Now she is a bully as well. I hope she rides off in the sunset in Dec. It will be worth it to most viewers, imo, and ABC as well.

emphasis added

That's it in a nutshell maggiemae!  She is not and never has been a team player, which is one reason she stinks on a show with five or six or ten co-hosts.   And it's just one reason why The Talk*  and other team talk shows work where this show fails.  Those women care about their performance and respect each other and it shows.  They come across as a team. 

She slept through the years with Babs - remember how sh  would just sit on the end of that godawful yellow couch like a lump?   Then last season she not only became a bully to RO but to the audience as well.  At five million a year, I wouldn't have problem coming in 30 minutes earlier no matter what my contract said.  It's not like she needs that time to get ready in the morning or anything. 

* I've only seen The Talk here and there but it didn't suck.   Also, there is another team talk show on board with Tyra Banks called Fab Life or something? I haven't seen it though - just the promo commercials.  

• Love 4

Why does Whoopie want to make an enemy out of ABC, they revived her fledgling career. she said it herself that she was at a low point in her career when Barbara came calling upon her after Rosie left...I do believe that she will not come back after the Holiday break and Joy will take over as the moderator...

• Love 8

Why does Whoopie want to make an enemy out of ABC, they revived her fledgling career. she said it herself that she was at a low point in her career when Barbara came calling upon her after Rosie left...I do believe that she will not come back after the Holiday break and Joy will take over as the moderator...

From your lips to TPTB's ears.

• Love 7

Well if she has really been making 5 million/year these past few years, she is smarter than the rest of us.  Because she is a horrible moderator, and fifty percent of the time she speaks, she is ridiculous.

Crazy like a fox, I guess.

• Love 5

I think I'd like The Talk but I can't stand Sharon Osborne.

I totally hear ya -- I hate her with the power of a million suns, but it's kind of funny listening to her B.S.  (Everybody treats her like the second coming, instead of the low-class husband thief she is.)  The rest of them are fine & at least you can hear what they have to say.  Give it a whirl!!

• Love 3

Actually I can't understand Sheryl - she talks so fast, usually a joke, or about her sex life - although she does have some good points to make sometimes. But overall - it's a pretty fluffly show and I'm not really into celebrity gossip. So I don't watch it very often.

OTOH - I can't even justify watching this show and think tomorrow might just be pure torture, :).

• Love 3

I think I'd like The Talk but I can't stand Sharon Osborne.

I can't stand Sharon either, but you learn to ignore her (or fast-forward). If it's any consolation, she does take a LOT of time off, so there's that.

• Love 1

The Talk avoids political discussions/guests first of all so this alone is a different agenda than The View.  The Talk doesn't even "talk" about anything in their "hot topics" Julie turns it around into a "would you" hypothetical question back to the co hosts in her extremely annoying best drama voice while the audience makes ridiculous oohs and aahs.  The world wise and most surgically changed face/body Sharon always goes first, then Aisha, then Sara and bringing up the rear is Cheryl with a joke followed by Julie's "on that note we'll be right back!"  I don't find it interesting at all!  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 9

I tried to get into The Talk, but the PTV boards on it are so dead I gave up on it. Most of the fun of watching tv shows for me is to read the PTV forum snark and discussion for them. If nobody is commenting on shows, it goes off of my DVR. Guess I'm addicted to these forums more than tv.

To keep it OT, love it or hate it, you can't say The View doesn't generate conversation.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 8

I tried to get into The Talk, but the PTV boards on it are so dead I gave up on it. Most of the fun of watching tv shows for me is to read the PTV forum snark and discussion for them. If nobody is commenting on shows, it goes off of my DVR. Guess I'm addicted to these forums more than tv.

To keep it OT, love it or hate it, you can't say The View doesn't generate conversation.

I used up all my Talk snark a couple of years ago.  Then, mostly on TwoP, there was about ten posters who delivered the best snark.  (Xingu, I miss you!!!)

• Love 1

I'm not a regular viewer of The Talk, but I used to watch it sporadically. For some reason I kind of dropped daytime shows during the period last year after Rosie O left The View. I also stopped watching Wendy Williams' hot topics because she gets on my nerves more and more--partly because her ego's ballooned and partly because she increasingly began to focus on stories I don't care about even passingly.

I feel like--if you've seen one episode of The Talk, you've seen them all. They never talk about anything substantial, applause after every person speaks, nobody feels strongly about anything, Sheryl does a joke, cut to commercial. I'm sure its inoffensive, bland nature is what helps it do well in the ratings, but it's not interesting TV.

• Love 12

I just saw the Ben Carson interview when Joy babbled that Planned Parenthood does mammograms! Even the CEO of PP has admitted, to Congress, that they don't. This is something the rest of us have known for years, but Joy is so stupid she doesn't know it? Why is she still on the show?

Planned Parenthood provides breast exams, sometimes has a mobile van visit its clinics to do mammograms, and gives physician referrals to facilities that do mammograms. It doesn't provide mammograms on-site in its own clinics.

• Love 6
Behar, who will host a late-night talk show for TLC starting later this month, also isn't a fan of Farris.

Really? Cool. Interesting article. I believe it. Whoopi was WAY too incensed about Paula disagreeing with her over something as inconsequential as whether or not Billy Joel plays oldies at his concerts. I chalked it up to simple bullying, but there could be more than that, as the article says.

You know, when everything and everyone at your job starts to piss you off, as seems to be Whoopi's situation, it's time to leave.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 6

Closing statement from the article Vinyasa linked above:

Daily Mail Online received this statement from an ABC spokesperson, 'This is another in a long line of erroneous and fabricated stories aimed at The View and its co-hosts that is ridiculous and completely untrue.'

Translation:  Everything quoted and speculated in this article is 100% true, but you're on to us before we're prepared and now we'll have to roll back our timetable and make further changes at a slower pace.  So "suck it" and enjoy The View.

• Love 13

'This is another in a long line of erroneous and fabricated stories aimed at The View and its co-hosts that is ridiculous and completely untrue.'

The only thing that is completely untrue is this statement!

• Love 2