Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Thicker Than Water

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Danny and Baez investigate a murder attempt against a celebrated fertility doctor with a seemingly pristine reputation. Also, Eddie is called to intervene in a Reagan family matter involving Danny's boys; Erin helps Anthony find justice after a date night goes wrong; and Frank ties up loose ends with an old friend.

This was a great episode.  The Jamie/Eddie relationship is developing nicely within the family.   I liked the cop/urban planner story and how Frank handled that.  Danny did the right thing with his kids.  I predicted the doctor with 500 kids about one second after he was revealed as a fertility doctor.  That's been in the news lately. 

• Love 6

This was a good one.  I still don't like Jamko working together, but at least that wasn't what their plot was about this time.  The Erin and Anthony story was funny even if I think it's farfetched that a police detective would fall for that scam. The fertilty guy thing was too easy, they should have done more of a twist ending for that one.

• Love 2

One thing I missed, though I think it was explained (but I missed thanks to my old ears.)

Why did Eddie get the call about Danny’s son? She’s not a Reagan yet, and probably not many people know  they’re even dating yet.

12 minutes ago, ellyd said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Sean had a "get out of jail free" card (courtesy card) and instead of calling his dad or Jamie, he called Eddie and asked her to keep it hush.

Thanks. I knew he had the courtesy card, but I thought I heard him say (again old ears!) as they were on the phone, “No. Not Uncle Jaime.” But that doesn’t make. 

8 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

Law and Order did this plot a long time ago but I can't remember who played the doctor.

Law and Order - S5E15 "Seed"

While investigating a fertility doctor for a separate case of fraud, McCoy and Kincaid discover evidence that he may be inseminating his patients with his own sperm.

• Love 2

I was a little confused about Jack's going to college. In my college years, we returned to school in late August or early September, before secondary schools began, yet Jack (who undoubtedly would have to be at school early because of freshman orientation) arrives on campus after Sean has started high school and has had enough time to start skipping classes. That timing seemed really off. 

Shouldn't Nikki be ready to graduate or has she already and is in grad school? What is/was her major? She is practically non-existent this season. 

Somebody teach Danny some table manners! Elbows on the table are one thing, but an arm protecting his plate?

Decent episode except for the fertility doctor angle, which just seemed pretty tired.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, mojito said:

Somebody teach Danny some table manners! Elbows on the table are one thing, but an arm protecting his plate?

You can't teach Mr. Know-it-all anything. He's Danny Regan!

• Love 5

I hate to admit it but this overall was a decent episode. It feels strange not picking the show apart.

I especially loved the Anthony and the female scam artist story line. I own a Rolex (a gift) and knowing Anthony owned one is a stretch at best.

• Love 4

I love watching Danny and Jamie together. Donnie Wahlberg and Will Estes play off each other so well - I wish we could see more of that!

I also wish we'd gotten a mention of Linda while Jack was packing, especially when Danny said he'd included some condoms. "Your mom would never let either of you boys go away to college without these and a really long talk about using them. I’m skipping the mom talk but I sure wish she was here to help with all this packing and to celebrate this milestone with us.”

• Love 7
10 hours ago, mojito said:

Shouldn't Nikki be ready to graduate or has she already and is in grad school? What is/was her major? She is practically non-existent this season. 

True -- we have not heard much since her internship with the horny boss went south. 

However, Sami Gayle may be fine with her limited role. She works probably 3-4 days a month to film the Sunday scenes (figuring each full episode takes 8 days to complete, with the family dinner segments taking 1 day to film), gets a nice paycheck,  keeps her pension and health active, and can focus on other projects the rest of the time. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Thanks. I knew he had the courtesy card, but I thought I heard him say (again old ears!) as they were on the phone, “No. Not Uncle Jaime.” But that doesn’t make. 

I don't know how cards work, but maybe it listed both of them (Eddie and Jamie) and he didn't want Jamie to know. 

13 hours ago, mojito said:

I was a little confused about Jack's going to college. In my college years, we returned to school in late August or early September, before secondary schools began, yet Jack (who undoubtedly would have to be at school early because of freshman orientation) arrives on campus after Sean has started high school and has had enough time to start skipping classes. That timing seemed really off. 

Yes! I was going to post this exact same question. I have no problem with a series not perfectly lining up with real life (Mad Men sometimes did episodes set during Thanksgiving or Christmas during the summer), but there should be at least some logic. This set-up just felt totally wrong to me as well. 

5 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

I especially loved the Anthony and the female scam artist story line. I own a Rolex (a gift) and knowing Anthony owned one is a stretch at best.

It could have been a gift. He also could have saved up for it, setting aside money every month or something like that.  

6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

It could have been a gift. He also could have saved up for it, setting aside money every month or something like that.  

The cheapest Rolex is $4700 while a good used might be in the $2500 range. Besides Anthony doesn't look like someone who would scrimp and save to wear a Rolex.

Edited by CaptainCranky
29 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I’m more interested in how a detective can afford an apartment i Battery Park City/TriBeCa. 

The only logical explanation to live in that apartment and wear a Rolex is family money. No way he can afford all of that on his salary.

• Love 2

Just wondering if Danny's older son, Jack, is leaving the show (permanently) under the guise of going off to college.  It's not like any of the offspring has anything pertinent to do, other than filling a chair for Sunday dinner, anyway.

Next one to go (off to college) should be the grandpa.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

The only logical explanation to live in that apartment and wear a Rolex is family money. No way he can afford all of that on his salary.

Wasn't there a story a couple of seasons ago about his cousin or somebody losing all his mother's money?  That apartment was awesome!

• Love 4
On 10/27/2018 at 12:23 AM, Magnumfangirl said:

This was a good one.  I still don't like Jamko working together, but at least that wasn't what their plot was about this time.  The Erin and Anthony story was funny even if I think it's farfetched that a police detective would fall for that scam. The fertilty guy thing was too easy, they should have done more of a twist ending for that one.

With 4 plots going there really isn't time for any sort of twists or complications even if the writers were able to come up with them. I think they actually did a pretty good job this week of making things work as far as balancing everything going on, but they might have been off just dropping the investigation altogether and using that time on other stories.

14 hours ago, SCS said:

True -- we have not heard much since her internship with the horny boss went south. 

However, Sami Gayle may be fine with her limited role. She works probably 3-4 days a month to film the Sunday scenes (figuring each full episode takes 8 days to complete, with the family dinner segments taking 1 day to film), gets a nice paycheck,  keeps her pension and health active, and can focus on other projects the rest of the time. 

I'd be surprised if she wasn't happy. It is a tremendous opportunity for a young performer - a steady paycheck and an opportunity to work with and learn from an amazing group of talented experienced actors and crew. Even if the role itself is nothing spectacular, she is getting exposure and making connections and has been able to do some outside projects to show off more of her abilities while also learning from the best. I'd be surprised if she didn't want to do more like anyone young and ambitious, but she has every reason in the world to be content with what she has unlike say Amy Carlson who every casting director in the world knows and has an established career.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, preeya said:

Just wondering if Danny's older son, Jack, is leaving the show (permanently) under the guise of going off to college.  It's not like any of the offspring has anything pertinent to do, other than filling a chair for Sunday dinner, anyway.

I’ve read in other places that Tony Terraciano, who plays Jack, is a college freshman this year at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee. I hope we get to see Jack on occasion, though, and have some mention of him in family scenes. 

• Love 4

I also liked that Jamie and Eddie's story this week wasn't about them working together.  It was actually a pretty realistic thing with Shawn calling a not-quite aunt to get him out of trouble, swearing her to secrecy and then spilling the beans himself.  And, Jamie's and Danny's interaction about "don't tell me how to parent" rang pretty true also. The only thing I would question was Jamie saying that he acted out so big bro would want to stay home to protect him.  First of all, I think Jamie is 10 years younger than Danny, so if Danny left at 18, Jamie would have been 8.  Second, Joe would have still been around (since I refuse to accept the reordering retcon) and it always has seemed that he's been closer to Joe than Danny.  And, third, Danny hadn't appeared to notice anyway.

I like what Frank did for that cop.  That was actually really nice, kept the confidence, and did what was best for everyone, while offering said everyone a choice.

I hope none of those doctor's kids are hooking up.  And that Danny was way overestimating at the 100 kids.

There is a series on Netflix right now, Sisters, in which the fertility Dr. was inseminating his patients. His daughter, whom he raised, in fact, had sex with one of those children in the pilot. Its a great show, if anyone is interested in that sort of show. It's an Australian show.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:23 AM, preeya said:

The fertility thing has been used many times before. I think Stamos played a sperm guy on SVU.

self delete, because I really should read all the comments before posting.  :) 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:45 PM, MissLucas said:

That was decent - even if I thought some of Erin's jokes going too far.  I loved Jamie's 'A-minus - it was a rough time' (or something along those lines), the dry delivery cracked me up. 

"dark time".   He adorable.  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 3
On 10/27/2018 at 6:59 PM, CaptainCranky said:

I hate to admit it but this overall was a decent episode. It feels strange not picking the show apart.

not at all, he's out on the street, maybe knows a few pawn shop owners.  You can buy a used/pawned Rolex for cheaper than you think. 

It seems that most of you liked this episode a lot more than I did.   Both the fertility doctor and Anthony getting conned storylines were too predictable.    As soon as they introduced them, I knew the outcome.   I like Anthony so seeing him was enjoyable.  Unfortunately, that usually means Erin is on my TV screen and I can't stand her. 

I did like the writers inserting Eddie into a family situation.   My favorite scenes are those with Jamie and Eddie.    I've been a Tom Selleck fan forever but I am tiring of his self-righteousness. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

not at all, he's out on the street, maybe knows a few pawn shop owners.  You can buy a used/pawned Rolex for cheaper than you think. 

Yes you can but they probably will start in the $2000 range.

2 minutes ago, AnnA said:

It seems that most of you liked this episode a lot more than I did.   Both the fertility doctor and Anthony getting conned storylines were too predictable.    As soon as they introduced them, I knew the outcome.   I like Anthony so seeing him was enjoyable.  Unfortunately, that usually means Erin is on my TV screen and I can't stand her. 

I did like the writers inserting Eddie into a family situation.   My favorite scenes are those with Jamie and Eddie.    I've been a Tom Selleck fan forever but I am tiring of his righteousness. 

This family needs to get a life. Other than Jamie you now have 3 widowers and a divorcee.

• Love 1

I had no idea Jack was ready for college. Ah, where did the time go? Sean & the rest of the family will miss him at Sunday dinners. I wonder why he didn't attend closer to home. Did anyone catch where Mythical U was located?

On 10/27/2018 at 9:39 AM, mojito said:

I didn't catch the whole episode. Did they actually specify which college Jack is attending? If not, it could always be explained as one on a quarter system. They start significantly later than schools on a semester schedule. For instance, UCLA didn't start fall quarter classes until the first week of October this year. It's still always odd to me as my school was semester and October meant October break, not starting classes. But there are lots of schools on the quarter system.

Edited by laugard
  • Love 3

Exactly what is the average NYC detective salary? On one hand you have Danny who is always complaining about being broke and the other hand Anthony who is living in a nice place and owning a rolex. I guess maybe the difference is Danny had 2 kids to raise without the second income from Linda's job. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Exactly what is the average NYC detective salary? On one hand you have Danny who is always complaining about being broke and the other hand Anthony who is living in a nice place and owning a rolex. I guess maybe the difference is Danny had 2 kids to raise without the second income from Linda's job. 

Kids are expensive.  And while Catholic schools are wildly less expensive than other private schools, they're still not free.

• Love 1

I didn’t like this episode as much as others. I don’t blame Anthony for being a bit embarrassed, but I’m too practical. I would have been on the phone cancelling my credit cards and making a police report. And no way he’s got a Rolex. Even “used” ones found in pawn shops and such are really expensive. Anthony is usually working in an office but he’s out in sketchy places finding/interviewing witnesses. No one would be wearing something so expensive. And that apartment? With that view? Thousands of dollars per month in NYC. Completely unrealistic. 

I still can’t get behind Jamie and Eddie. I just don’t feel it.

• Love 4
On 10/28/2018 at 1:48 AM, Sarah 103 said:

I don't know how cards work, but maybe it listed both of them (Eddie and Jamie) and he didn't want Jamie to know. 

Yes! I was going to post this exact same question. I have no problem with a series not perfectly lining up with real life (Mad Men sometimes did episodes set during Thanksgiving or Christmas during the summer), but there should be at least some logic. This set-up just felt totally wrong to me as well. 

Every NYC police officer is issued cards. They recently started putting the cops name on them. The officer can pretty much do what they want with them although they are no guarantee of a  'get out of jail free". From what I've seen (cough, cough), they can be used in traffic stops. For something serious, I don't think they'd be any good.

Am I the only one who thought Eddie was out of line with Sean? She has a very short history with the Reagans and even so she knows how the family is about letting the kids get a pass due to family intervention. Especially with Danny’s kids losing their mother. Sean is acting out and Danny should know what’s going on.  Danny was right to be annoyed.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:35 PM, iwasish said:

Am I the only one who thought Eddie was out of line with Sean? She has a very short history with the Reagans and even so she knows how the family is about letting the kids get a pass due to family intervention. Especially with Danny’s kids losing their mother. Sean is acting out and Danny should know what’s going on.  Danny was right to be annoyed.

That's funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. I was pissed at hell about how Danny yelled at her. She didn't ask to get dragged into an awkward-as-hell, no-win situation by his kid--but she did. From the minute Sean called her, there was literally no right choice for her that wouldn't have had some of the family side-eyeing her. She didn't create that situation. Danny's kid did. Danny should've been apologizing.

I'm sure she felt very put on the spot when Sean was asking her to keep the incident between them. She has no experience with teenagers, except as a cop. Of course, what she should have said was she needed to think about it and then do exactly what she did--tell Jamie, let him make the call. But hindsight's twenty-twenty.

And, oh my GOD, if I had put a family friend or a family member's significant other in that kind of sticky situation as a teenager, all hell would have rained down on me.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 10/28/2018 at 7:37 AM, Sake614 said:

I’m more interested in how a detective can afford an apartment i Battery Park City/TriBeCa. 

I think Anthony is a retired police officer (not sure of rank) who is now working an investigator in the DAs office. 
I worked in County government in North Jersey and lots of our cops and detectives retired after 20\25 years on the job, collected a nice fat pension and free health care for life and then took jobs in the Prosecutors office(our version of the DA’s office) as Investigators at a salary equal to or greater than the one they made as police officers. It’s a loophole in the pension system that they take advantage of. So between their pension and the job, it’s not unusual for them to have an income exceeding 200k. 

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, iwasish said:

I think Anthony is a retired police officer (not sure of rank) who is now working an investigator in the DAs office. 
I worked in County government in North Jersey and lots of our cops and detectives retired after 20\25 years on the job, collected a nice fat pension and free health care for life and then took jobs in the Prosecutors office(our version of the DA’s office) as Investigators at a salary equal to or greater than the one they made as police officers. It’s a loophole in the pension system that they take advantage of. So between their pension and the job, it’s not unusual for them to have an income exceeding 200k. 

He’d need a lot more than that to live in the place they showed! But someone upthread mentioned family money so that could explain it.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:57 PM, hookedontv said:

And no way he’s got a Rolex. Even “used” ones found in pawn shops and such are really expensive. Anthony is usually working in an office but he’s out in sketchy places finding/interviewing witnesses. No one would be wearing something so expensive. And that apartment? With that view? Thousands of dollars per month in NYC. Completely unrealistic. 

I can see the Rolex but that apartment with that view? Even in the outer boroughs that would've been $$$$$ per month. Hell for that matter, Jamie's apartment seems too good to be true. Exposed brick? And that kind of space? On his salary? I don't think so. But WTH, it's television.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, auntiemel said:

That's funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. I was pissed at hell about how Danny yelled at her. She didn't ask to get dragged into an awkward-as-hell, no-win situation by his kid--but she did. From the minute Sean called her, there was literally no right choice for her that wouldn't have had some of the family side-eyeing her. She didn't create that situation. Danny's kid did. Danny should've been apologizing.

THIS. Why didn't Danny yell at Sean for dragging her into his drama? Eddie made a judgement call but you're right, it was a no-win situation.

• Like 1