Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Soupergirl, Bundil, Beyond Sushi, Cup Board Pro

GoldenGirl90
  • Start Topic

October 21, 2018

Healthy vegan soups; a tool that makes it simpler to invest in crypto-currency; a chef from New York wants to expand his vegan sushi restaurants; siblings from Long Island, New York, present the product invented by their late father.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 1

I’ve gone through some Kleenex tonight with the orphan kids and their firefighter dad’s chopping board. I knew all 5 Sharks would jump in once I saw Daymond crying and Kevin about to start crying. 

I remember when their Dad won Chopped. As soon as I saw him in the video, I knew I’d seen him before.

I cannot even imagine losing both my parents in that span of time. 

• Love 20

Investing in the Souper Girl vegan soup would have been a huge mistake.    They're not business people, and I bet will be broke and out of business.

I bet Beyond Sushi will be a huge hit on the west coast.      

I didn't understand the crypto-currency app, but then I don't understand the attraction of crypto currency anyway, and I can't believe he got a deal.

I cried all the way through the Cup Pro Board presentation, and I'm so glad they got all five sharks in on it.    I bought two off Amazon, and they're sold out now.      I think they're right, and every body will want one.     Being able to clean scraps out of your way while you're cutting will be so much faster than having to clean up to keep chopping the way I do now, and I was impressed at the quality and weight of the cutting board, and the cup is really big too.   If anyone wants to know I measured my cutting board, and it's 12" wide x 18" long, and 1" thick.   The cup pops open, and the inside measurement of the cup is 16" x 3" and 2" deep, it fits on the 18" side of the board.    Both sides have little silicone feet to make it drain towards the cup, and it a very heavy board.   Amazon sold out, and the family website sold out too, and is probably overwhelmed with orders.    I cried when all five sharks went in on it, and were going to donate their profits to the 9/11 fund.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 15

I am very happy those kids got a deal. I couldn't believe how well they handled themselves. Once I heard their father was a firefighter on 9/11, I figured that they matched them with the guest shark who had been NYC press secretary on purpose. I also knew based on Damon's reaction and his past deals that there was no way he was letting those kids leave empty handed. Good for the sharks for doing that deal for charity. I hope they stick with it and help those kids become a success.

• Love 18

I thought that was kind of a strange episode.  I'm not at all a fan of guest sharks (except Ashton Kutcher) because they usually have to have particular segments directed to them.  I have no idea who this Matt Higgins (?) is, or how he can be of any benefit to anyone in any place other than NYC, but at least he wasn't actively annoying.

Speaking of annoying:  Those soup women were so annoying I had to FF, which is really unusual for me (I do by-pass the commercials, sorry ABC).  It's a shame because I am totally their target  market - I don't like to cook, do like soup but don't buy it because of the sodium.

Those rolls looked amazing, too bad I can't order them on-line since I don't live anywhere near where they are.  I do think it will be successful on the West Coast, if the business factors work out, so ti probably;y was a good deal.

Edited by mjc570
Might be misinterpreted
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I thought that was kind of a strange episode.  I'm not at all a fan of guest sharks (except Ashton Kutcher) because they usually have to have particular segments directed to them.  I have no idea who this Matt Higgins (?) is, or how he can be of any benefit to anyone in any place other than NYC, but at least he wasn't actively annoying.

I'm not particularly a fan of the guest sharks since several are too timid (clearly there are exceptions like RB). The guy tonight didn't have enough personality for me. I don't really get the critique that tonight's shark was no use outside of NYC. The bio they played mentioned his role in the Miami dolphins and a few sectors that he tends to invest in and he demonstrated knowledge of the restaurant industry. I think he was fine as an investor just a dud as a television personality.

13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I cried all the way through the Cup Pro Board presentation, and I'm so glad they got all five sharks in on it.    I bought two off Amazon, and they're sold out now.      I think they're right, and every body will want one.     Being able to clean scraps out of your way while you're cutting will be so much faster than having to clean up to keep chopping the way I do now, and I was impressed at the quality and weight of the cutting board, and the cup is really big too.   If anyone wants to know I measured my cutting board, and it's 12" wide x 18" long, and 1" thick.   The cup pops open, and the inside measurement of the cup is 16" x 3" and 2" deep, it fits on the 18" side of the board.    Both sides have little silicone feet to make it drain towards the cup, and it a very heavy board.   Amazon sold out, and the family website sold out too, and is probably overwhelmed with orders.    I cried when all five sharks went in on it, and were going to donate their profits to the 9/11 fund.   

I cried too.  I also bought one, but from the Cup Board Pro website, which is still very bare-bones basic with no frills.  The only one left on Amazon is $119!!!!  I bought one on their website, with shipping, for $50.  I hope I get it relatively soon, but honestly would wait a real long time and wouldn't care.  My husband is a firefighter and know he will be thrilled to get this.  Maybe I'll wrap it up for Christmas. 

• Love 7

I love that at the top of the Cup Board Pro website there is a link at the top for the 9/11 charity.     

I'm sure all of the sharks were right on the inventory issue, and with Damon and Lori's connections, I'm sure there will be more cutting boards available soon.     

There are suggestions on Amazon for other competitors, but they don't look even close to being comparable.      

On the package insert it says to use coconut oil on the board before first use, and every couple of weeks after that, so I ordered refined coconut oil too.    If you're back ordered, and going to give this as a present, then get some oil now, so you can put that in the package with the board, and maybe a copy of Keith Young's cookbook also.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, GussieK said:

The Cup Board really seems like a good idea!  Good for them.  I was teary-eyed too.

I was having a playback glitch during the soup segment.  Did they depart without a deal?  

No deal for Soup Lady.

They believe her stubborn perfectionism will lead to her future failure.

• Love 2

This episode was boring.... Food products are always a tough sell for me, in part because we can't taste it, but this week's soup and vegan roll restaurant just didn't interest me, even though I like a good vegetable roll and creative vegetables. Apps, especially financial apps are never interesting, and usually never get a deal and I wish they wouldn't have them on the show... 

The cutting board looks like a nice cutting board, though I don't find a lot of the problems it solves that bothersome to spend so much money on a cutting board. But I also like smaller/thinner cutting boards from an ease/space of storage thing. 

It still looked like a well made product, and something that people will actually use, so I'm glad they got a deal, especially with the charity aspect and everything they've gone through as a family.

• Love 4

Loved the boards. I'd order some for xmas gifts or wedding gifts but I'd rather wait til the siblings' site is showing some to sell if theirs is $50 vs Amazon 's $119. What gives? The other thing---why is the board an inch thick? That is really heavy duty. Not sure if needs to be but maybe it has to accommodate the  mechanism attachment. I have a heavy, thick Boos board & it's a beast.

• Love 3

I can't wait to go pitch my app. It rounds up your spending and puts the money toward a subscription box where you leverage group discounts to get interchangeable parts for customizable shoes. It's like Uber for feet!

Honestly Bitcoin became such a self-parody I can't out-snark it even with all that. Kevin knows it probably won't go anywhere but I think he didn't want to be the last Shark without a pay-by-mobile app. 

And then the last pitch went and softened my cynical heart anyway. What really annoys me is that this is exactly the kind of sob story ABC loves and they finally found a case where it was appropriate.

• Love 3

Anecdata, but some workmates got Beyond Sushi for lunch the other day and didn't love it. (Of course, the average Manhattan office worker settles for mediocre sushi all the time, so).

There are lots of vegan and "plant-based" fast casual places opening up and enjoying the current fad for such things, but I wonder when that bubble will burst. As an actual vegetarian, I'm happy to ride this wave, but I've seen these things come and go before. I see all the young PR interns in By Chloe at lunch and wonder what they'll be into six months from now. 

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 3
On 10/22/2018 at 10:15 PM, roctavia said:

This episode was boring.... Food products are always a tough sell for me, in part because we can't taste it, but this week's soup and vegan roll restaurant just didn't interest me, even though I like a good vegetable roll and creative vegetables. Apps, especially financial apps are never interesting, and usually never get a deal and I wish they wouldn't have them on the show... 

The cutting board looks like a nice cutting board, though I don't find a lot of the problems it solves that bothersome to spend so much money on a cutting board. But I also like smaller/thinner cutting boards from an ease/space of storage thing. 

It still looked like a well made product, and something that people will actually use, so I'm glad they got a deal, especially with the charity aspect and everything they've gone through as a family.

[I am still very happy that all five sharks invested but:]

I do wonder if a Caucasian 35-year-old man, without this kind of backstory, tried to pitch the Cup Board, would any of the sharks still invest.

Even with the patents, couldn’t Target or BB&B knock it off? 

Also, when I use a cutting board, I still tend to rinse the board every time I switch to a different vegetable/fruit. Doesn’t that reduce the value of the CB? 

I also feel like the cup should be wider, so that I can quickly scoop all the non-edibles into it, and not miss, and not end up picking produce off the floor.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I cried too.  I also bought one, but from the Cup Board Pro website, which is still very bare-bones basic with no frills.  The only one left on Amazon is $119!!!!  I bought one on their website, with shipping, for $50.  I hope I get it relatively soon, but honestly would wait a real long time and wouldn't care.  My husband is a firefighter and know he will be thrilled to get this.  Maybe I'll wrap it up for Christmas. 

Quoting myself, but my order was cancelled because they are out of stock. I’m really disappointed, but I’ll get one when they stock back up. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

No deal for Soup Lady.

They believe her stubborn perfectionism will lead to her future failure.

Which it absolutely will. It was clear about a third of the way through her presentation that she would be a nightmare to deal with. She was responding to every challenge with a stubborn insistence that she was right despite the fact that she was standing in front of a bunch of billionaires needing help and money. It was also clear that Daymond was over her and her stand-up comedy delivery about 5 mins in, lol. 

When she marched out declaring that every container of soup was prepared to perfection and always would be, I wondered if that was a last-minute pitch to the audience. Honestly, I just think some people really overestimate the consumer's dedication to details like those she was touting. In a perfect world, sure, but how many of us have lofty goals around eating that fall by the wayside due to busy schedules, costs, and other factors? 

Although I did think the "soup cleanse" packages were a good idea, I could see those selling out around New Year's Eve and resolution time. Just not sure about the sustainability overall. 

Quoting myself, but my order was cancelled because they are out of stock. I’m really disappointed, but I’ll get one when they stock back up. 

Just curious about the lag time between when episodes are taped versus when they air? They went to the trouble of making that heartfelt video package, plus all 5 sharks went in, PLUS the 9/11 charity angle, how did they not anticipate a huge demand when the show aired? 

They'd better get going on manufacturing before the interest from the show wanes. 

Honestly Bitcoin became such a self-parody I can't out-snark it even with all that. Kevin knows it probably won't go anywhere but I think he didn't want to be the last Shark without a pay-by-mobile app. 

I feel like it was a good deal for the guy and for Kevin. It was such a minimal investment for someone with Kevin's money and since it wasn't a loan, it doesn't hurt for the guy to take the deal. Honestly, I think he had zero chance to make a success out of his app, so even with giving up 50%, he may end up with SOME money instead of the nothing he was likely to make on his own. And who the hell knows what's going to happen with crypto-currency anyway, it could be a losing prospect all around, but in case it's not, why not give it a go, I guess. 

• Love 5

The one concern I have for the Cup Board is that it’s wood. Which retains blood, etc even if you wash it to death. If they come out with a version that’s silicone or something, I’ll buy it. But I have always steered away from wooden cutting boards unless it’s for bread only.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I can't wait to go pitch my app. It rounds up your spending and puts the money toward a subscription box where you leverage group discounts to get interchangeable parts for customizable shoes. It's like Uber for feet!

My app is much simpler. It rounds up your spending and puts the money directly into my bank account. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

[I am still very happy that all five sharks invested but:]

I do wonder if a Caucasian 35-year-old man, without this kind of backstory, tried to pitch the Cup Board, would any of the sharks still invest.

Definitely not! I really didn't think the "problems" it solves were really problems to begin with.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Just curious about the lag time between when episodes are taped versus when they air? They went to the trouble of making that heartfelt video package, plus all 5 sharks went in, PLUS the 9/11 charity angle, how did they not anticipate a huge demand when the show aired? 

They'd better get going on manufacturing before the interest from the show wanes. 

I agree. If they really were as enthusiastic about the product as the acted to be, they should have ramped up production before the show aired. They are, after all, supposed to be the experts in their respective fields.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

The one concern I have for the Cup Board is that it’s wood. Which retains blood, etc even if you wash it to death. If they come out with a version that’s silicone or something, I’ll buy it. But I have always steered away from wooden cutting boards unless it’s for bread only.

It's not wood, it's bamboo.

• Love 1

My immediate thought about Beyond Sushi was, are they affiliated with the Beyond Burger? Which is an existing well established plant-based fake meat. It doesn't seem like they are, but it seems like there'd be trademarky issues given the obvious source of potential confusion. I was a little surprised it didn't come up, unless it did and got edited out. If guest shark Veggie Grill guy had been there it definitely would've come up.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Amarsir said:

Just what I have been looking for!

11 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

It seems unlikely a random Caucasian male  would get that deal, at least not with all Sharks and not without having any sales. But if their father had managed to sell a bunch and then make it on the show, he probably could have gotten some kind of deal.  

9 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I read it was filmed back in May. They may have ramped up production and still not had enough to meet demand. They can't create an unlimited supply.

• Love 3

I have a little plastic basket that hooks into any drawer for tossing my food prep scraps into, so initially I was unimpressed by the cutting board. I did change my mind, though, when I saw the channels for the liquid flowing into the cup, though. I'm not rushing out to buy one right this second, but I did tell Mr. Fourth I wouldn't be disappointed if it showed up on Christmas morning.

The rest of the episode was kind of dull. I don't have a problem with my current sushi? And the guy said nutrition/calorie-wise, it came out to about the same. Cryptocurrency app = snore x 2. And the soup lady did get grating after a while, and her parting words didn't make her come off as great as she thought they did.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I read it was filmed back in May. They may have ramped up production and still not had enough to meet demand. They can't create an unlimited supply.

Not an unlimited supply, but 5 billionaires who pride themselves on being experts in projected volume, etc? Yeah, I think they could probably have produced enough that they wouldn't need to be cancelling orders a whopping 2 days after the show aired. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Not an unlimited supply, but 5 billionaires who pride themselves on being experts in projected volume, etc? Yeah, I think they could probably have produced enough that they wouldn't need to be cancelling orders a whopping 2 days after the show aired. 

Yes, but the 5 billionaires only invested $20,000 each. I think they wanted to do something nice for this family, but I don't think they intended to pour more than that in.  Lots of products sell out within a day or two of going on Shark Tank, so it is clearly hard to predict the number of orders.

We don't know how many orders they actually got and how many ended up cancelled.

$50 vs Amazon 's $119. What gives? 

AMAZON isn't selling it for $119 ... "other" sellers are.  The ones that press the button on the page that says, Sell Yours Here (or whatever.)  They are just board flippers ... 

For those who want plastic, I would just cover mine with those silicone sheets, like the ones for rolling out pie crusts.  

But actually, IKEA sells something similar.  It's a plastic board with a built-in strainer.  The strainer is removable so you can rinse your produce.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

AMAZON isn't selling it for $119 ... "other" sellers are.  The ones that press the button on the page that says, Sell Yours Here (or whatever.)  They are just board flippers ... 

For those who want plastic, I would just cover mine with those silicone sheets, like the ones for rolling out pie crusts.  

But actually, IKEA sells something similar.  It's a plastic board with a built-in strainer.  The strainer is removable so you can rinse your produce.

Now I see there are quite a few cutting boards out there with cups or strainers/colanders attached. I like the one with the cup that collapses. Well-priced, too. 

On 10/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, cooksdelight said:

This is me.  I liked the kids, the story, and their hustle but I don't like cutting boards I have to baby.  I don't want to worry about oiling my boards so I use plastic that I can stick in the dishwasher.  If they make a version of this later on, I'd be happy to look into it.

• Love 2
On 10/23/2018 at 10:09 PM, KaveDweller said:

Lots of products sell out within a day or two of going on Shark Tank, so it is clearly hard to predict the number of orders.

I have a bunch of episodes taped, and I binge-watched them this week. I loved the cutting board and thought I'd buy them for a few people for Christmas. I checked Amazon and the kids' site, and both are still sold out.

It's really frustrating that the CupboardPro has been sold out since the night the episode aired, and still won't be back in stock until early 2019! How did they not know that airing on Shark Tank would create an interest in their product, and not plan to have it in stock for Christmas!? I'm sure they've lost a ton of money by not having any inventory.

• Love 4