Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

The war against the Sanctuary happened.  Remember the Kingdom’s role in that - when Ezekiel unwittingly marched his entire Kingdom force into a Gatling gun ambush?  Out of a group of some 50+ Kingdom combatants,  only Ezekiel and Jerry survived.  What did this mean for the Kingdom?

• By best estimate, the Kingdom at full strength was something like 150 people total - so in that ambush, the Kingdom lost approximately 1/3 of its pre-war population in the space of several seconds.
  • These 50+ who died weren’t just soldiers, they were a militia assembled out of the body of the Kingdom citizenry - which also means that physically speaking, they were probably the ablest members of the population.
  • The Kingdom’s fighting force appeared to have a healthy mix of both males and females in the 20s-to-40s age range - childbearing and child rearing age - so it’s extremely likely married couples who already had children were members of the fighting force, and died together.

...so in less than a minute, the Kingdom was reduced from a robust community and fighting force, to the physically weakest 2/3 of its population: the very young, the very old, and those who for whatever reason were previously deemed incapable of fighting in the war.  And in addition to picking up and carrying  on the jobs vacated by the deaths of their more physically able (and now deceased) neighbors, these survivors also have an added burden - caring for (dozens?) of instant orphans.  

So yeah, things are going to start sliding downhill.  The slide may not be immediate: the heavy lifting of that year’s planting had already been done, after all, and only required tending and harvesting - plus the tribute deliveries to Sanctuary had ceased, so the Kingdom can keep more of what it produces.  The next year, though, is going to be brutal - and the year after that - and the year after that.  

Plus, I’d be willing to bet that body of now-dead 20s-to-40s Kingdom population contained very close to 100% of the engineering and handyman labor which kept everything in the Kingdom running and in good repair; who’s going to pick up THAT slack now?  The more elderly members of the remaining population may have the know-how, and may in fact have been directing the others in the necessary work - but put a bunch of 50- and 60-somethings up on a roof to do reshingling or other repairs after a storm, and I’ll guarantee you some casualties out of the work party.

So crop yields will get smaller, houses will get leakier and less stable, and vital systems such as electricity and plumbing will break down and not get fixed.  All this will result in increased illness and injury in a weaker and less capable population- so yeah, I can see why the Kingdom is suffering in the long run.  That Gatling gun didn’t just kill a lot of people very quickly; it shot out the heart of the Kingdom community.

Wow, thank you so much for breaking it down for me.  You've put more thought into this show than most of the show-runners combined.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Nashville would you accept this rose?

what don’t you know?  You must be a big shot down at the cracker factory.

Don’t know about that, but I can be hella fun at parties. 😄

2 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Wow, thank you so much for breaking it down for me.  You've put more thought into this show than most of the show-runners combined.

One side-effect of 35+ years of chronic insomnia is, you spend WAAAAAYYYYY too much time putting WAAAAAYYYYY too much thought into some of the most irrelevant and off-the-wall bullshit no sane person ever gave a second thought about. 😄

Now whether that’s a positive or negative side-effect is another question entirely....

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2019 at 8:12 AM, mightysparrow said:

This sounds so lame.  Why do they think we care enough about Rosita's pregnancy to waste precious air time?

I assume it's a tease if Rosita ends up being one of the characters killed at the fair, like in the comics.

12 hours ago, dvil said:

I assume it's a tease if Rosita ends up being one of the characters killed at the fair, like in the comics.

Wouldn’t be too surprised if Addy’s head takes the place of Rosita’s on the end of a pike.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

What are the odds that we get a cliffhanger, where we see the heads on pikes, but we don't find out who until next season? 

Yep or they’ll give just enough visual to get fans debating/arguing about who the victims could be.... yawn.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Superclam said:

What are the odds that we get a cliffhanger, where we see the heads on pikes, but we don't find out who until next season? 

8 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Yep or they’ll give just enough visual to get fans debating/arguing about who the victims could be.... yawn.

Lucille Lineup, Take #2.  😞

• Love 6
10 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Yup. 

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Lucille Lineup, Take #2.  😞

Yup.

• Love 1

From TSDF Army:  Q&A S09.E13 “Chokepoint”

1. How does the episode begin?

It opens with Daryl, Connie, Lydia and Henry running from the Whisperer camp, and Henry realizes they aren't heading in the direction of the Hilltop. Daryl says there's no way they're going back to Hilltop because they broke the deal, and Alpha will come and kill them all. There's an argument because Daryl insists that Lydia can't come with them. Henry proposes that he and Lydia go it alone, and Daryl and Connie can go back to the Hilltop. Daryl says no way. It seems Connie has an idea and heads off with Lydia, Henry and even Dog. A pissed Daryl reluctantly follows.

2. Does something dangerous happen while Tara and company are on the road? Do they make it to the fair?

Yes, they encounter a small herd ("original recipe" type), and Earl is almost bitten. They make it to the Kingdom at the end. Tara mentions that she’s surprised Daryl and Henry aren’t there by now. She hasn’t filled Carol in on everything yet, but it seems like it’s about to happen soon.

3. What does the letter Carol has mean? Who sent that and what does it say?

It's sent by the leader of the group that uses the same red symbol that we saw on the road signs a couple episodes ago. They call themselves the Highwaymen.

4. Who are the Highwaymen? What are the Kingdoms’ encounters with these people?

They’re basically pirates and in some ways, similar to the Saviors. They steal people's stuff and demand ransom for allowing people to pass on their roads. They demand a ransom from the Kingdom, but the Kingdom has nothing they can give them. So instead they make a deal. The Kingdom hires the Highwaymen to protect the roads leading to the fair, and in return they will be given access to the fair. There is a lot of posturing and the Highwaymen do pull their guns, but they don’t seem like psycho killers or anything. Dianne makes it a point to mention that they had an opportunity to kill her and Jerry, but they didn’t.

5. What are Daryl and Connie planning now that they have Henry and Lydia?

They know Alpha will send others to get Lydia back. So they decide to stop and wait for them. They stumble across an old office building that Magna's group used to hide out in, and because it has a lot of stairs, they decide to use it as a "chokepoint" to filter out the living from the dead in any Whisperer herd.

6. What does Lydia say about why she escaped or what she is feeling right now?

She wanted to leave. However, she also says that she can't kill her own people, even after Henry made her a spear. (Aww. It’s like zombie apocalypse version of making someone a mixed tape). Lydia also wants Henry to promise that he won’t kill them either, but he only says he’ll try not to.

7. Details about Daryl and Beta FIGHT, please!

Daryl gets tossed around like a ragdoll! Beta definitely has him beat in the size department. Daryl barely manages to get any punches in. He also tries stabbing Beta with a small knife, but he has some kind of armor under his clothes. Daryl eventually gets the jump on Beta and pushes him down an elevator shaft.

8. What else is going on during the encounter with Beta and the group of Whisperers?

Daryl locks Lydia in a closet with Dog because Lydia refuses to fight her people so she'd just be in the way. Daryl, Connie, and Henry all fight. Henry ends up getting stabbed in the leg. Lydia eventually breaks out of the closet and Dog attacks the Whisperer who stabbed Henry. Connie stabs the Whisperer after Dog tackles him to the floor. After the conflict, the plan is for Daryl, Connie, Henry, and Lydia to make a pitstop at Alexandria.

9. Do we get to see anyone from Alexandria?

No

10. Does anyone die? If so, who?

Several Whisperers that Beta brings along to retrieve Lydia.

11. How does the episode end?

It ends with Beta lying at the bottom of an elevator shaft. At first, he appears dead. Then he finally opens his eyes and stands up. Uh Oh...

I've seriously got nothing beyond another group already on a show littered with 10,000 characters we barely know?  Really?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

From TSDF Army:  Q&A S09.E13 “Chokepoint”

I've seriously got nothing beyond another group already on a show littered with 10,000 characters we barely know?  Really?

Highwaymen?  Pure homebaked FUCKERY!

• LOL 3
53 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

The only way this is good is if the “Highwaymen” and the Whisperers kill each other off and leave the rest out of it.

...ok, ok - if you have to kill off SOMEBODY from the Settlements, we’ll let you have Henry.  Deal?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

. Daryl says there's no way they're going back to Hilltop because they broke the deal, and Alpha will come and kill them all.

How would she do that? Are they going to line up for her to decapitate them all, one at a time? "Come on Alpha! I've been waiting for an hour!" "Jus' gimme a minnit, boy. That thar last one was right gristly and ah got ta sharpen mah blades."

and Earl is almost bitten.

Earl! Earl is almost bitten. I'm feeling the tension already.

Daryl gets tossed around like a ragdoll!

Lucky Daryl is kind of like Hellboy and is impervious to injury, no matter what is done to him. 

Daryl locks Lydia in a closet with Dog

Aaaand - I've read enough.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Earl! Earl is almost bitten. I'm feeling the tension already.

Yep, Earl.  The character I only recognize if he's in a scene with Brett Butler and I remember "Oh yeah, her husband.  That guy."  Riveting.  He's almost as memorable as Neil.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Daryl says there's no way they're going back to Hilltop because they broke the deal, and Alpha will come and kill them all.

Er - isn’t Awful likely to show back up at Hilltop whether or not Daryl&Co. head that way?  She’s likely to assume Hilltop shenanigans are afoot regardless, and I don’t think Awful is one likely to give much credence to plausible deniability.... 🙄

Edited by Nashville
Deny deny deny....
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

You don't think a woman who runs around wearing part of a rotted corpse as everyday wear is likely to be reasonable or perfectly accepting about it if she shows up to the only place she definitely knows any of these people live only to be told "they're not here"?  I guess the answer depends on how quickly she realizes that herd didn't just wander into camp by itself.

• Love 4
On 3/7/2019 at 4:51 PM, Nashville said:

Wouldn’t be too surprised if Addy’s head takes the place of Rosita’s on the end of a pike.

Okay. Heads on pikes? Really, like in ancient civilizations? Far out. A teenaged girl's head on a pike? That would be so, like, badass, right, especially if they leave the glasses on.

7 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Connie stabs the Whisperer after Dog tackles him to the floor.

But! We already know that a 100lb Cane Corso (who managed to remain purebred 10 years after the ZA) can't take down a skeletal walker. How can Dog subdue a real person? Inquiring minds need to know.  I'm on pins and needles for tomorrow's ep, where I just know all our questions will be answered.

I'm still waiting for the goddam FAIRE.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Superclam said:

The odds are about as good as Secretariat winning the Belmont.  This will probably fucking happen.  And in the clip up thread, someone is wearing a dreadlocked mask, Michonne or Zeke?  

Fuckers.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

It's nice to see Daryl take an interest in Judith.  I always thought he would want to be an 'uncle' to her considering that Rick was his best friend.

And good on Michonne for telling that simple bitch Lydia that if she left, she'd take all the threat with her.  Why should Alexandria risk themselves for her and Henry?  They need to take their worthless asses to The Kingdom and let Henry's parents deal with Alpha.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I really hope that we are finally getting an answer about the X scars on Michonne and Daryl's backs with these flashbacks.

This is the latest comment from Zeke about the scars,

“That is so creepy and amazing and awesome and I'm excited for everybody to see the journey that got both Daryl and Michonne to the place where they are. Trusting and untrusting. Why they made the decisions that they've made”

https://www.thisisinsider.com/khary-payton-talks-ezekiel-walking-dead-interview-2019-3?utm_content=buffer2f06b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer-insider-twitter

• Love 1

IIRC Angela Kang said on one episode of TTD that the backstory behind the scars would be explained before this season’s end.

Edited by Nashville
Angela Kang, not Angela Kangaroo. Fucking autocorrect.
  • Love 1

Synopsis for Episode 15,

The fair at the Kingdom is underway, with all four communities coming together in celebration for the first time in years; while some pacts are renewed, other deals will come at a much steeper price.

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

That is so creepy and amazing and awesome

Wow. "Amazing" and "Awesome" aren't really the words I'd use to describe anything I've seen thus far, but I guess anyone collecting a paycheck needs to stay positive. 

Michonne loses Judith? That's surprising? We've seen she has no idea how Judith spends her days, roaming the forest and being best buds with Uncle Negan.

• Love 3
On 3/8/2019 at 11:20 AM, mightysparrow said:

OK I think this comment answers the question I came to ask - I don't own the comics so I can't go back and reference them but I've read them and I don't remember the Highwaymen or any characters like them but with a different name.  So these guys are a TV show only creation with no apples to apples comic character to compare them to right?  

If that's the case I get the fuckery comment, what's the point in introducing them?  The only ideas I can think of, (and I still like a little surprise as I watch so trying to go with speculating without really spoiling)........................., they're cannon fodder to be killed in place of some of the characters we know the Whisperers kill or they're new special characters to stay living and take the place of people the whisperers kill.  Neither makes much sense to me though, as much as I want them to deviate (further) from the comics this time and leave Ezekial alive I think they're heading in the "kill him" direction.  But if a few Highwaymen take their place on the pikes instead why would the viewers care when they're new characters and we have no real attachment to them yet? 

• Love 1
On 3/11/2019 at 10:29 AM, SimoneS said:

I really hope that we are finally getting an answer about the X scars on Michonne and Daryl's backs with these flashbacks.

I googled the highwaymen, and it's apparently something they do. Of course they weren't in the comics. The writers couldn't resist adding another group. 

• Love 2
On 3/12/2019 at 1:39 PM, sigmaforce86 said:

So these guys are a TV show only creation with no apples to apples comic character to compare them to right?  

Lets hope they do turn out to be a good addition to the show after, IMO, a complete misfire of a start.

Kang in ComicBook,

"What we were really looking to do was introduce a group that has sort of an unusual MO, and had a really unique perspective on life, and a unique way that our people have to deal with them," Kang said. "It was a lot of fun, and we were really lucky to get the wonderful actor Angus Sampson to play the role of the lead Highway Men, so that was a lot of fun for us to work on."

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2019/03/13/the-walking-dead-highway-men-group-threat-fair/

Ask and ye shall receive, although ... uh, on first read I seriously got nothing.

From TSDF Army:  Q & A Episode 9.14 “Scars”

1. Apparently there are some new kids in this episode. Who are they and what is their role in this episode?

The kids are shown in a flashback. They are the “adoptive,” young, children of a woman named Jocelyn. Jocelyn claims that all of the adults in their group didn't make it, and it's just her and the children who are left. We learn that Jocelyn was one of Michonne’s close friends from either high school or college. (Jocelyn is played by Rutina Wesley, known for her role as Tara in True Blood.)

2. Can you explain what happens during the flashbacks?

In short, the flashbacks (several flashbacks throughout the episode) are the story of Jocelyn and her children when they show up at Alexandria, with Jocelyn supposedly being injured in some attack. Michonne, of course, decides to take them in. She is relieved that she has a real friend at Alexandria, because that helps with Rick being gone. However, Jocelyn betrays them. She and her children raid the pantry and infirmary and take off with all of the other children in Alexandria, including little Judith. Michonne and Daryl finally catch up to them, but they are captured. That's when they are tied up and branded with X’s on their backs (by the kids). Turns out, Jocelyn taught all these kids how to fight and basically turned them into little savages. She taught the kids to go after people who are marked with the X, so after Daryl gets loose and frees Michonne, they run into trouble searching for Judith. After a confrontation with Jocelyn, Michonne kills her. Michonne is then forced to fight the children and kills most of them too. Daryl & Michonne ultimately escape with little Judith.

3. Does Daryl kill any children? Or just Michonne?

Just Michonne.

Back to present day…

4. What all do Daryl and Judith talk about?

In present day, Judith tells Daryl that she's heard all the stories and knows about how they fought the Saviors and won. She thinks they could do that again with the Whisperers. Daryl tells Judith that her Mom is doing what she's doing to keep her and RJ safe, and "that's all that's important." Judith disagrees and says other people are important too. Finally, Judith asks Daryl if he'll stay if her Mom lets the others stay too, but Daryl says "No."

5. We know Daryl takes Henry and Lydia to Alexandria, but do Henry and Lydia leave Alexandria in this episode?

Yes, Daryl, Connie, Lydia and Henry leave right after Siddiq patches up Henry's leg.

6. What is Negan up to in this episode?

Judith runs off after Daryl and Co. leave Alexandria, and in a panic, Michonne turns to Negan. She wants to know if he spoke to Judith today, and if so, what did she say. Negan says he hasn't spoken to her since yesterday. Negan quickly figures out that Michonne can't find Judith. They get into an argument, and Negan finally snaps Michonne out of her panic by reminding her that Judith is her daughter, and she probably decided to not take shit sitting down, just like her mother. That's when Michonne realizes Judith left to find Daryl and the others. Michonne finds Judith alone in the woods and saves her from some walkers.

7. Do we see any other groups making their way to The Fair? If so, who?

At the very end, we see a wagon going through the gates of the Kingdom to The Fair, but we don't see who is in the wagon.

8. Do we see anything at the Kingdom? Are they aware what’s going on?

Only at the end when two Whisperers witness a wagon entering the Kingdom. We have no idea how they were able to find the Kingdom.

9. How does the episode end?

It ends with Michonne and Judith catching up to Daryl and Co. and they go to the Kingdom together. The final scene is of the two Whisperers finding the Kingdom.

I've always liked Rutina Wesley as an actress.  She played one of the only characters on True Blood with a damn lick of sense from start to finish.  This though ... 

I guess you could call it a backstory for the scars and why Michonne closed herself and Alexandria off.  It still doesn't explain what her long standing beef with Maggie or any of the other communities was though.  But since Lauren Cohen's new show seems to be getting decent reviews and ratings, it's probably going to be hard to satisfactorily tie up that loose thread if they can't get Maggie to, you know, actually appear on onscreen.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Ask and ye shall receive, although ... uh, on first read I seriously got nothing.

From TSDF Army:  Q & A Episode 9.14 “Scars”

Well, I was hoping there was fucking involved but I can never have nice things.

Since Daryl is the new 'hero' of the show, he can't be guilty of killing a bunch of kiddies, so it's got to be all on Michonne.  She's going to be dragged over the coals for this. 

47 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I've always liked Rutina Wesley as an actress.  She played one of the only characters on True Blood with a damn lick of sense from start to finish.  This though ... 

I guess you could call it a backstory for the scars and why Michonne closed herself and Alexandria off.  It still doesn't explain what her long standing beef with Maggie or any of the other communities was though.  But since Lauren Cohen's new show seems to be getting decent reviews and ratings, it's probably going to be hard to satisfactorily tie up that loose thread if they can't get Maggie to, you know, actually appear on onscreen.

You're right, it DOESN'T explain why Michonne doesn't want to have anything to do with the communities.  It's just sensationalism to make Michonne the bad guy.

3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

2. Can you explain what happens during the flashbacks?

In short, the flashbacks (several flashbacks throughout the episode) are the story of Jocelyn and her children when they show up at Alexandria, with Jocelyn supposedly being injured in some attack. Michonne, of course, decides to take them in. She is relieved that she has a real friend at Alexandria, because that helps with Rick being gone. However, Jocelyn betrays them. She and her children raid the pantry and infirmary and take off with all of the other children in Alexandria, including little Judith. Michonne and Daryl finally catch up to them, but they are captured. That's when they are tied up and branded with X’s on their backs (by the kids). Turns out, Jocelyn taught all these kids how to fight and basically turned them into little savages. She taught the kids to go after people who are marked with the X, so after Daryl gets loose and frees Michonne, they run into trouble searching for Judith. After a confrontation with Jocelyn, Michonne kills her. Michonne is then forced to fight the children and kills most of them too. Daryl & Michonne ultimately escape with little Judith.

What the hell did I just read.

• Love 2

So, I've not been watching because I just can't watch Henry play out Carl's storyline.  Judith is annoying but I find myself thinking it would be more interesting if Carl had a relationship with her.  Killing him off really did ruin the show for me.  I skim here, and don't say much since I'm not really watching anymore.  But this latest summary just blows my mind. 

For one thing, if they're going to go this dark and weird, it seems serious enough and character defining enough to not cram it into a single episode flashback.  While they waste oceans of time on other crap.  Secondly, it's just sick and probably character staining, and I can't imagine putting myself through watching it.  To watch this unspoiled will really be upsetting to a lot of people.  Life is upsetting enough.

3 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Since Daryl is the new 'hero' of the show, he can't be guilty of killing a bunch of kiddies, so it's got to be all on Michonne.  She's going to be dragged over the coals for this. 

I agree they want to keep Daryl clean of this.  What a drag for Michonne.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Michonne finds Judith alone in the woods and saves her from some walkers.

Now, where have I seen something like that before? Oh, yes -

Carol finds Henry alone in the woods and saves him from some walkers.

It's deja vu all over again.

18 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Jocelyn taught all these kids how to fight and basically turned them into little savages. She taught the kids to go after people who are marked with the X, so after Daryl gets loose and frees Michonne, they run into trouble searching for Judith. After a confrontation with Jocelyn, Michonne kills her. Michonne is then forced to fight the children and kills most of them too.

Eh? A group of writers sat around and came up with this mangled Lord of the Flies fuckery? Gee. Now, are we talking little kids, like Judith's age, or big, annoying kids like Henry? If it's the latter, I don't really have a problem with that.

"She taught the kids to go after people who are marked with the X"

I had to repeat that even though I don't what to say about it. "So dumb" doesn't even cover it.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Now, where have I seen something like that before? Oh, yes -

Carol finds Henry alone in the woods and saves him from some walkers.

It's deja vu all over again.

It does sound like they're recycling Carol's storyline, doesn't it?  Michonne saves a child not biologically hers that she's nonetheless raising as her own.  Michonne has to make the hard choice to put down a child, or in this case children, who are too damaged or dangerous to live in this world so her male counterpart doesn't have to be the bad guy.  The big difference of course being that Carol never had to share scenes with Negan whispering in her ear or trying to be her new bestest buddy.

I'm all for anything that gives Danai Gurira more screentime and something meaty to work with, but telling it in flashback like this suggests that what we've already seen is the extent of what we're going to get in showing her figure out how to live with this awful thing she had to do.  We already know that the show pretty much blew past her earlier killing of a teenager when she had to put Jessie's snitty son down like it was nothing.

• Love 2