Type keyword(s) to search

S02E10: A Duel of Iron

This season was much better than last season. Danny's still an impulsive dumbass, but at least he recognized that. I understood Davos' anger, still don't understand Joy's. Her father was the cause of most of her pain. Danny was just the dumb puppet that got involved because of the Hand. I do think that Davos dad saw that his son was a psycho because of his mother and wasn't worthy of the Iron Fist. Are the different colored fists supposed to mean something? I get Davos was red because intentions were from rage and Colleen's is white because her intentions are pure? That doesn't explain why Danny's is yellow, unless were supposed to think of him as the golden boy. Which is hard since he is so very dumb. 

I liked Mary Walker (any relation to Trish? That would be an interesting connection). I hope she shows up on Daredevil and we can see her third alter Bloody Mary.  Although I wonder if we kind of met her for a bit when she starting choking out Joy. Walker while dangerous seems controlled and trained enough to react like that. I'm thinking rage is the third alter's trigger. I guess we got our minor MCU connection with Walker fighting in Sokovia.  

Are we getting a Daughters of the Dragon show. I want to see Colleen with the Iron Fist and Misty with her bionic arm fighting crime in NY. Danny and Ward can fight crime in Asia. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8

Just finished it. It was a much better season than the first. The story was tighter. My favorite relationship was surprisingly the Danny/Ward stuff. I could done with more of that and if the show gets a third season I hope we get more of their adventures overseas. I feel like the second half of the season was a such a set-up for possible third season which isn't guaranteed. Mary's third personality, Colleen's connection to the Iron Fist legacy. I was so excited by the mention of Orson Randall and seeing Danny with his guns.

I did not like Joy even if in the end she tried to do the right thing by getting the bowl out. And really that was only because she realized Davos was unstable and a threat to her.

• Love 8

We need more Ward. Hope he gets the opportunity to complete his journey. His speech about being alone really touched me.

I don't recall much about Orson Randall. I read the first trade of Immortal Iron Fist, but that was a long time ago, and I didn't read any beyond that, so I don't remember if Randall's powers manifested through his guns such that anyone could use them, or if Danny has gotten his powers back at the end of this episode or not, and is just using them to make Orson's guns do strange things.

Sorry that we didn't see a scene with Joy and Danny at the end, but maybe they'll get a chance to make amends in S3 (if there is one). I feel like Misty's arm should be more badass than it usually is, but she was a real MVP this season. I was pleasantly surprised to see that she got as much time on the season as she did. 

I'm still not that impressed with Mary Walker (who never did get the Typhoid moniker, for some reason). I will say that she gave off a very ominous vibe in that final scene with Joy, though. The first time I thought she seemed threatening all season. 

• Love 5

Okay, so you can't share the heart of dragon.  I maintain my stance against K'un-Lun, though.  Bunch of dicks training with emotional and physical abuse then pitting their sons/victims against one another, gladiator style. 

Definitely a better season if for no other reason than Danny being an idiot is canon and he gained some self-awareness.  He was a shitty iron fist.  But is a nice kid.  Maybe he can learn not to be a total dumbass.  But it also helped that a substantial part of the season allowed Misty and Colleen to take center.

Ohmigod, I really like white-glowy Iron Fist Colleen. 

But most importantly, THEY SAID IT! Knight... Wing!!!!!!! Ahem... I'm cool. I'm cool. 

Also, I am now lowkey 100% shipping Danny and Ward bff4Evah. Not so much the gun-fu, tho. This shit's just weird. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 8

Surprised they actually have Colleen keep her nice and shiny Iron Fist for the duration, but judging from the final scene, Danny's got his Iron Fist back too?  Or is is just the guns that give him the power back?

Pretty solid finale, I thought.  Davos is defeated, but still alive, so he could always comeback if they ever feel like it.  Molly Walker is also still in play, because she's basically going to force Joy to help her do whatever the hell she wants (and it seem she has a third personality, that will make her other two look like amateur hour.)  Colleen finds out she is a descendant of the first woman Iron Fist and  is now the on protecting the streets, and they certainly seem to be hinting at more team-ups with Misty in the future.  And then Ward and Danny go on a road-trip to find out more about the Iron Fists!  Oh, those two!

Overall, a vast improvement over the past season.  A few issues; Ward kind of took a backseat, Joy was kind of one-note, Mary seemed to be all build-up; but Davos was an effective villain, Colleen/Misty was awesome, the fighting was much better, a lot of good character interaction, and even Danny was better since the show and most everyone in it acknowledged when he was being a doofus (hell, Danny himself seemed aware about it.)  I would actually be quite happy with another season.  Especially if it is half "Colleen and Misty being the best" and half "Danny and Ward globe-trot around the world, and wacky hijinks ensue."

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7

This season was good — definitely a step up from season one, and so far the only Netflix Marvel to avoid completely frustrating me with one of the main characters (if not the title character him/herself) by the end of the 2nd season. (I don’t count Joy in this case because UO I’ve never really liked her, so my frustration/irritation with her has been par for the course.) 

But my biggest problem with this is:

21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I would actually be quite happy with another season.  Especially if it is half "Colleen and Misty being the best" and half "Danny and Ward globe-trot around the world, and wacky hijinks ensue."

Why am I not getting to watch this immediately? I would skip both JJ3 and LC3 to be all over that. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kickingnames said:

This season was good — definitely a step up from season one, and so far the only Netflix Marvel to avoid completely frustrating me with one of the main characters (if not the title character him/herself) by the end of the 2nd season.

Agreed 100x.

While I still liked S1 better (aside from the fight scenes, primarily, which were the most egregious offense), S2 is the first of the Netflix series to not piss me off by setting all the main characters against one another by the end. I enjoyed elements of all of the second seasons, but for me they all fell flat next to the first season, except for IF.

And count me in for KnightWing/Rand-Meachum S3. Especially more Ward Meachum.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 3

I hope Netflix goes with an 8 episode Daughters of the Dragon show. They can show us what happened in between those "months later". We can see Misty getting her upgraded arm and watch her and Colleen kick ass as the Iron Fist with a glowing sword. 

The martial arts fights improved immensely and that helped make this season better as well. 

• Love 5
On 11/09/2018 at 9:15 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I would actually be quite happy with another season.  Especially if it is half "Colleen and Misty being the best" and half "Danny and Ward globe-trot around the world, and wacky hijinks ensue."

I totally agree. And if you’d told me I’d be rooting for a S3 after the crapfest that was season 1 I’d say you’re nuts but they really turned things round. The focus on Colleen kicking ass and the Knight Wing partnership really lifted the show. If not S3 I’m still here for their spinoff instead.

• Love 4

Personally, I don't like "God is arranging things stories," so the idea that Colleen is God's chosen Iron Fist doesn't do a thing for me.

Another problem is that somehow Colleen is simultaneously supposed to have had some sort of loving family and been a reject street waif oppressed by humanity (good trick, that!) ripe for recruitment by the Hand in Bakuto's velvet glove. That she, a Hand member, happened to fall in with some scruffy dude who just because God arranged it just happened to be the temporary right hand Iron Fist, but no, there are no sinister Hand things going on. In fact, there's not even any interest in Danny's money. And although the Hand is unlike every other cult on Earth in that it really, truly does give supernatural powers to its adherents, she defies it, because, well, actually it's not clear why. Never has been. God sent her is a terrible, terrible answer, even for a comic book story.

Colleen deeply, deeply resents Danny, to the point she plays Darrin to his Samantha. Of course Danny left as soon as she had what she wanted, he knew she had no more use for him. It's never clear why she has with Danny, especially in season two. She even insists on blaming Danny for the failure of the big parley. I'm sorry but no matter how much the show insists on that, it isn't true. Her professed reason for quitting the dojo makes no sense. Danny doesn't collect her rent, but her hobby at Bayard doesn't buy the groceries. Her Billy Jack/David Carradine Kung Fu pacifism that predictably leads to a fight lost all its value years ago. She doesn't seem even to wonder whether her being Danny's first love is a good foundation for a relationship. She doesn't care enough about Danny to be uncomfortable with his relationship with Bakuto, much less jealous. Colleen Wing to me is just supposed to be sexy kickass, not a real person. The first season was weak in not clarifying who Colleen Wing was, and this season has redoubled the error. We know why Danny is smitten with his first woman, because twenty five is generally deemed a really, really late start. But why is Colleen there? What does Colleen really think about being a whore for the Hand? Danny is still hung up because he notices that K'un-Lun was the real deal, not a fraud. But Colleen didn't notice?

The show's strength has always, always been first, the family dynamics. It got away from it a good bit, which weakens this season a lot. The second, Danny Rand being an anti-hero, got downplayed tremendously, this twaddle about the Iron Fist being addictive if you're a loser. His real failure is the apparent destruction of K'un-Lun. The show dodges this completely, even to the point it won't let it be Davos' motivation! Another great failure, Danny's abandoning Davos, whom he loved, is pretty much thrown away. There are a few scraps of dialogue at the end. But apparently it was just too uncomfortable thinking a vow of chastity might have been understood to mean no sex with women, so much so that they installed a mother in a monastery! Reaffirm heterosexuality specially with chaste monks! Hiring the same actor who played Loras Tyrell was already too much of a hint. Danny giving up the Iron Fist is a continuation of his struggle to free himself from K'un-Lun. Which is why the preposterous finale where he goes right back to K'un-Lun stuff immediately undoes what feeble drama the second season managed to commit. 

The end credits scene was just loathesome. Daredevil has become for me just as repulsive as the Nolan/Frank Miller Batman.

As to the supposed improvement in the fight scenes, the ostentatious pretense that guns don't exist until the script allows them to *pop* into existence was tedious.

Ah well, like most sequels, half as good. The third will probably be pretty dire with the Wing/Knight. They're pretty enough, yes, but I'm not crushing on little women beating up men.

Edited by sjohnson

I greatly enjoyed this season much to my surprise. I like Colleen having the iron fist and I like Ward and Danny teaming up together even if I have no idea why both of Danny's fists glow now. I will need those two crazy kids Danny/Colleen to get back together though. Having Misty around was great and I also enjoyed Mary. The only thing I didn't like about this season was Bethany and this baby thing. I hope they reconsider that story if there is a third season, bringing kids in always ruins a show IMO. I'm not really interested in seeing Ward try to be a daddy.

• Love 1

This season is so much better than Season 1 it's almost unbelievable. Especially since I found the 2nd season of Luke Cage so disappointing... Luke protects Mariah from the Jamaican guy, then he protects the Jamaican guy from Mariah, lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat. Iron Fist actually had a story for season 2, Davos steals the fist.

I learned to really like Mary Walker enough that I would watch if she got her own series, which I can't say about The Punisher.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 5

Much better than Season One and also better than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones Season Two (although the acting is better in both shows). Maybe all the Marvel Netflix shows should be 10 episodes? This season flowed really nicely and things actually happened.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

This season is so much better than Season 1 it's almost unbelievable. Especially since I found the 2nd season of Luke Cage so disappointing... Luke protects Mariah from the Jamaican guy, then he protects the Jamaican guy from Mariah, lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat. Iron Fist actually had a story for season 2, Davos steals the fist.

I learned to really like Mary Walker enough that I would watch if she got her own series, which I can't say about The Punisher.

I freakin' know!!!  Season 1 was my least favorite of the 4 "Defenders" shows (although I didn't hate it as much as the internet, I had to enter "stoner mindset" to get much joy out of IF-S1).  Yet now: The Defenders mini-series was just awful, DD-S2 was eh, okay... JJ-S2 was eh, okay.... LC-S2 was eh, okay to even "bad", and IF-S2 was... wait a second here... interesting and decently plotted?!?  Characters who were written and behaved like human beings?  The "bad guys" were morally complex, while the good guys weren't just pants-on-head stupid all the time?!?  How on earth was this a Scott Buck project?!

Well, whatever they did, it worked because that was enjoyable and well-paced and has me actually looking forward to season 3.

• Love 5
On 9/9/2018 at 9:34 AM, Sakura12 said:

I hope she shows up on Daredevil and we can see her third alter Bloody Mary.  Although I wonder if we kind of met her for a bit when she starting choking out Joy. Walker while dangerous seems controlled and trained enough to react like that. I'm thinking rage is the third alter's trigger.

I think we definitely saw some of the "other" Mary for a bit there at the end.  When she came to Joy's apartment she didn't look like Walker even though she was talking as though she was.  She had more makeup on, she wasn't dressed like a soldier, and her hair was up higher and looked more feminine than Walker usually wears it (in a low, no-nonsense bun).

Just finished this and have thoroughly enjoyed the season, which I'm really glad about, having struggled with Luke Cage S2. I enjoyed all the characters and their stories and interactions. I would pay cash money to see Colleen and Misty teaming up again - and for the wacky adventures of Danny and Ward across Asia.

This was clearly only the start of Mary Walker's journey to becoming Typhoid Mary, so I'm interested to see where she pops up next - I'm told that in the comics she is usually a Daredevil antagonist, so is she now about to show up there? Does that mean Joy might also make a cameo, as her reluctant backer? Also, why is she called Typhoid Mary? I've seen people saying it's because she is like a storm, but typhoid isn't a storm, that's a typhoon. Typhoid is a disease spread by contaminated water!

Someone said up-thread that they expected Misty's arm to be more badass - I think that is still to come, as well, she's still in the early stages of her journey. This was only bionic arm Mark1, and now it's been trashed she's in the market for an upgrade. I hope she is able to access more Rand tech now, with Danny and Ward both AWOL and Joy striking out on her own!

She also goes by Bloody Mary which works better than Typhoid. I also wonder why she didn't have her telekinesis powers, unless the third alter is the only one that can access them. They are kind of telling us that alter took out an entire base in Sokovia. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Llywela said:

Also, why is she called Typhoid Mary? I've seen people saying it's because she is like a storm, but typhoid isn't a storm, that's a typhoon. Typhoid is a disease spread by contaminated water!

Typhoid Mary was an actual person who was an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid and (allegedly unknowingly) spread the disease to dozens - if not hundreds - of people throughout her life, many of whom died.  Fits in perfectly with the the show's version of Typhoid Mary being a hidden alter of Mary Walker, capable of terrible death and destruction but acting entirely in secret.

"Today, 'Typhoid Mary' is a colloquial term for anyone who, knowingly or not, spreads disease or some other undesirable thing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Typhoid Mary was an actual person who was an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid and (allegedly unknowingly) spread the disease to dozens - if not hundreds - of people throughout her life, many of whom died.  Fits in perfectly with the the show's version of Typhoid Mary being a hidden alter of Mary Walker, capable of terrible death and destruction but acting entirely in secret.

"Today, 'Typhoid Mary' is a colloquial term for anyone who, knowingly or not, spreads disease or some other undesirable thing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

Thank you!

• Love 1

First off, wow this season way better then last season! I will say the pacing of this episode was kind of weird. It was like they needed about 20 minutes to wrap up the story from the rest of the season. Then the last 30 minutes or so was epilogue/ plan for next season. It seemed kind of odd that more of the episode was devoted to this. But that isn't necessary a bad thing.  I was really sad they broke Colleen and Danny up. I get that he needed to do more soul searching, but she could have gone with him. I do like that he took Ward with him though, as they lead to a few funny scenes. Did Danny's fist grow at the end or was that just the lighting?

Anyhow, not sure about the third personality. I guess she is more physical than walker and doesn't come out very often.  I guess if there's a third season it would follow up on that, unless she is in Daredevil. I remember reading somewhere that she is original a villain from his comics.

Surprisingly I didn't mind this season. I wouldn't say it was great but it was at least watchable. I thought Mary was going to be more of a menace, and I think they made Davros  way too intense. I did like the fight scenes and I did like the dynamic between Misty and Colleen. Colleen and Danny just doesn't work for me.  I hope Joe is not in the next series because she really doesn't have a real purpose but I guess they will have to follow this company that she was trying to set up.

The biggest flaw with joy is that her reason for being that mad at Danny is pretty silly.

• Love 2

So Danny is the iron....fist gun now? And how many iron fists are out there for the taking lol.  I find it amusing that after all this time suddenly both Danny and Colleen have figured out that the iron fist powers whatever weapon you're holding.

This really was the season of Colleen, she kicked ass all over the place.

I'm looking forward to seeing Walker's third personality.  So as as ruthless as she is, she wasn't ruthless enough to escape her captors, so she made up someone who was?  Yikes.

Hated Joy to the very end.  She can take her black hearted contempt and go shove it.

Ward was great again, his speech as N.A. was very moving, and I love him as Danny's sidekick.

Regarding the comment about the pacing above, I have noticed that these Marvel shows tend to wrap up their main season story in the first half of the episode and use the second half for epilogue and setup for the next season.  I like it as a much better alternative to the standard cliffhanger, which only serves to annoy.  It makes you look forward to what's to come instead of waiting for a resolution to what's happened.

I really liked this season overall.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

This season was a big improvement on the first season. Probably helped by actually taking some time on fight choreography, and cutting the season by a few episodes. I think thats a great idea, and the rest of the Netflix MCU could take note. It also helps that they used the fact that Danny has pretty bad self preservation instincts and is up in his own importance is acknowledged, and he has gained a lot of self awareness of his flaws, and is actually trying to work on it. 

I can totally get into the show having Misty/Colleen fighting crime in NYC together, while Ward/Danny are fighting crime in Asia for awhile. At least for a bit. We need that Danny/Colleen and Ward/Misty double date to happen! Ward and Danny as a team is pretty awesome, and the light up guns are pretty cool, as is Colleen using an Iron Fist sword on bad guys. 

Another scary Mary personality? Sign me up!

• Love 2
On 10/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, tennisgurl said:

I can totally get into the show having Misty/Colleen fighting crime in NYC together, while Ward/Danny are fighting crime in Asia for awhile. At least for a bit. We need that Danny/Colleen and Ward/Misty double date to happen! Ward and Danny as a team is pretty awesome, and the light up guns are pretty cool, as is Colleen using an Iron Fist sword on bad guys. 

Bolded because I came into this season loving them both individually, but Ward/Misty turned into the dream pairing I never knew I wanted! And now I need more! 

• Love 1

It's interesting to me that they pairs Iron Fist up with Luke Cage in the Defenders and I guess the comic books. At least for these series the part that is ironic to me is that both of them are the worst parts of their own series. An Lu change to he was obsessed by Bushmaster and Danny took a backseat to Colleen. In general they both are just weak actors in the series

Great ending. I need a battle with Colleen and Danny wielding Iron Fists together being all badass with their weapons and looking attractive in the glowy light. I want them back together, they're adorable. Definitely my favorite Netflix Marvel couple, at least until I get my way on a Jessica/Matt hookup.

I was home sick, so I took this time to binge watch the last 7 or 8 episodes of Iron Fist.  I liked it, but I also didn't hate season 1. 

I really enjoyed Ward, of course.  I never did warm up to Bethany.  I am honestly surprised she wasn't playing Ward in some way.  I'm also kind of surprised she's keeping the baby.  I don't know why, but I really thought they'd go with her having an abortion after her speech at a meeting.  Ward will at least set her up with money, so she won't have to worry about that.   But she never did interest me. 

Ward and Misty?  Yep, I could totally go there!  I suspect the writers were planning on going there as well, otherwise, why have Misty commenting on him?  Though why have Ward be a dad with some other woman?  I honestly don't know.  And now that we know there won't be a season 3, I guess we'll never know. 

Apparently I don't hate Joy as much as everyone else does either.  Don't get me wrong, I don't *like* her, but I kind of get where she's coming from. 

Colleen is awesome, yes, but sometimes... I just don't get her, ya know?  She wasn't interesting.  She was always perfect.  I think I liked her best with Misty.  They let them just hang and be friends.

I'm totally fine with the breakup between Colleen and Danny.  They were grownups about it!  How awesome was that?  No, he didn't stick around, but they both knew they were breaking up.  So what else was there to do, but drag out the pain?

I just have to ask?  Who's running Rand???  Again, something we'll never know.  :-(

• Love 1
On 10/09/2018 at 5:08 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

I feel like Misty's arm should be more badass than it usually is, 

I have been saying that since the arm first showed up in Luke Cage season 2. Of all tge fake arms in the mcu (bucky original arm, bucky infinity war arm, Coulson's arm, Klaue's arm in Black Panther, the arm on any Iron Man suit) Misty's is by far the worst. They could have at least built a flashlight into it so she wouldn't need to use the light on her phone.

This season was a lot better than the last. Although I didn't think it was amazing. Took a break after episode 8 and watched all of Daredevil season 3 which grabbed my interest way more. That said these last two episodes were really good. Although I didn't really care for Davos as a villain and just found him kind of annoying.

• Love 1