Type keyword(s) to search

Galavant Anticipation

TV Guide sez:

Handsome Prince Galavant (Joshua Sasse) is on a quest for revenge against the king (Psych's Timothy Omundson) who stole his one true love (Mallory Jansen) in this fairy-tale musical. Dan Fogelman will write and executive-produce with Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken writing the music. Vinnie Jones, Karen David and Luke Youngblood will also star.

• Love 1

This will either be the masterpiece of the season, or a trainwreck on the level of current Downton Abbey. Either way, I give it ten episodes tops.

• Love 2

I am literally only here because of the things I will do for Tim Omundson. I miss Psych so much. And his singing was so good in the Psych musical that more singing and dancing may kill me.

• Love 2

I. LOVE. THIS.

OK, yeah, I've basically signed up for anything with even a little bit of singing in recent memory from Pushing Daisies to Glee to Smash to Nashville. And I have been burned on all counts. But they've also brought me so much joy. I am in. I am in. I am in. I hope they found a good lyricist for Menken. I love that man but with the wrong lyricist everything goes to hell and all you've got is pretty scoring and I doubt he'll do much scoring for the show. And yes, I'm totally talking about Tangled. 

First, it's got Lassie from Psych. Second, it seems like Princess Bride meets Spamalot. Third, why do you need a third thing?

Yes, I am not sold on whether everyone in the cast can sing. Yes, I am wary of whether they really have a plot. Yes, it seems a little too goofy, like the Psych musical stretched out to an entire series without the wit of Spamalot backing it up. But as we've reviewed, I'm basically going to support anything musical so here we go. 

• Love 4

Supposedly, this is going to replace Once Upon a Time during that show's winter hiatus.  If that's the case (and if ABC promotes the hell out of it this summer and fall), it just might be the hit of the holiday season.  Bonus points if we somehow get Regina, Emma, Rumpel, or Hook to show up for an episode -- they'd all be saying "WTF kind of curse is this?"

• Love 1

Supposedly, this is going to replace Once Upon a Time during that show's winter hiatus.  If that's the case (and if ABC promotes the hell out of it this summer and fall), it just might be the hit of the holiday season.  Bonus points if we somehow get Regina, Emma, Rumpel, or Hook to show up for an episode -- they'd all be saying "WTF kind of curse is this?"

I hate OUAT for many, many reasons but in particular for the absolutely heinous acting so I vote no.

• Love 1

I wouldn't put it past the OUAT writers. That's one of my other big problems with the show. You don't own everything. Frankenstein, Oz, really? I mean, I know they just did that Great and Powerful Oz movie but come on. It's really starting to come off like bad fanfiction. I swear, they're just itching to throw in Marvel and Star Wars. 

To bring it back to Galavant, I hope they're more focused than OUAT. There's a lot of material to mine with just a vague medieval theme. Keep it fun and light, especially if you don't really know how to write drama and complex plots. It'll just seem convoluted. The best case scenario would be if they had a set plan and were able to get in and out in maybe 2 or 3 seasons but I haven't heard anything about this being a miniseries or anything like that.

• Love 1

I say... don't shoot for realistic in the least but be CONSISTENT.  Be as ridiculous and over the top as you need to, but don't allow characters and situations to contradict themselves.

• Love 6

Trailer here and a 5 minute series of clips from the pilot here. The latter surprised me with

how uhh 'adult' certain scenes got. And with music! "More than a touch of nymphomania" was not a lyric I was expecting.

The moment I saw the stereotypical "guy in the stocks who sings while bobbing his head" I was QUADRUPLY in! (I was already DOUBLY and TRIPLY in on previous occasions).

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh, and by the way, based on that longer look I have promoted this show from "Craptastic" to "Crapnificent" (those are compliments, if that's not clear).  Groans and cheers will coexist quite equally with this puppy, I think.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

When it comes to musicals and animated movies I try and stay away from everything except the trailers so I can come into it fresh. Thus, I will hold off on the longer look so I can gush and snark when the episode actually comes out.

• Love 2

I got less than half way through the trailer before I became 100% committed to this. I can not wait. I think it's supposed to come on during the OUAT hiatus and I will be locked in.

• Love 3

Vinnie freakin' Jones not only kicking arse-nal, but dancing with Timothy Omundson?! Love it! I agree with lynny- it wasn't even halfway through and it had me. So glad this is getting a chance!

• Love 3

So apparently it's a half-hour (in other words 22 min) show.  In a way that's pretty smart--in and out quickly is best with this kind of humor.

At only 8 episodes, it's going to burn through pretty quickly too--especially if it's the ONLY fill-in for OUAT (which might mean doubled up episodes).

• Love 1

Do we have confirmation on whether it's operatic (all sung) or just mostly sung? I imagine having to write enough music for even 8 episodes would be very difficult. Oh, God, I hope it's good but if it's terrible I'll probably still enjoy the snarking.

• Love 2

The vibe I've gotten from the trailers I've seen is a sort of musical Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire deconstruction of knightly tales and tropes. I hope they can keep it funny rather than having the boring patches that plagued that show.

• Love 1

The pilot is just mad. I don't think I was quite drunk enough for it. I still don't know if it's off-the-rails awful or stupidly glorious. It's different, I'll give it that.

This show is going to rock! I love how so many recognizable names are guest starring on this show. Galavant is going to be one of the shows that you have fun trying to point out all the cameos each episode like you're playing 'I spy' or something!

• Love 2

Did you know.....

on IMDB, there's a character listed as "The Queen", whom we haven't seen in the previews? Things that make you go "hmmmm...."

As long as her first name isn't "Evil" or "Regina," I don't have a problem with it.

• Love 4

Ok, I have to watch this.  I think my daughters will enjoy it too as an OUAT filler, even if they don't quite get all the comedy references.  They do like Princess Bride, so this will be a 'what  happened to Wesley if Buttercup chose Humperdink instead, and he let her live."

• Love 2

This is the first time this season I've gotten really excited about a new show. Goofy humour? Crazy, tongue-in-cheek songs?  Princess Bride meets The Holy Grail? Psych cast? I was marking my calendar already... and then I looked at the list of guest stars... and then I saw GILES! Please, please tv gods, let it be a singing part. *Happily humming "I've got a Theory"*

• Love 3

I saw a ton of promo for this over the Thanksgiving holiday; I didn't realize the premiere was so close! Now the anticipation can really begin.

It's a shorter episode order and a shorter run than I expected, but I'm just going to think of that as ABC trying to pull off some "really special event" programming.