Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E18: Live Results 4 (Wednesday's Show)

• Start Topic

Remember Mikalya was a DS, Front Pictures was a WC x2, Junior New System was a JC.

The data last week told us the only DS or JC to make the finals last year was evie clair who needed TWO Dunkin Saves.

Dunkin Save Candidates:

Duo Transcend 

Samuel Conrod

Voice of Hope Children's Choir

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 1
  • Here we go! Got my bag of snark bullet-points ready. Hope I don't run out! (Good thing it's only an hour.)
  • Even watching the recap of Samuel's 'prayer' joke...I don't remember it at all. Was I really paying that little attention? (And I'm a snarky atheist; you'd think I'd have remembered that one.)
  • I see Simon dressed up for us tonight,
  • Tyra's got a different dress but they still forgot to dry her hair...and apparently she lost a sleeve, too.
  • You people are neither cray-cray, nor crunk. I don't think. Hell, what do I know?
  • "None of this is scripted." Yeah, you keep believing that.
  • Us the Duo Trio vs Shin Lim...who's it gonna be? I can't even begin to guess.
  • Tyra: "I embarrass myself..." .......................Nah, too easy.
  • "I'm gonna talk normal now." ... You've been talking "normal" all this time? Oy.
  • Howie wears a disguise and messes with people! What fun!! 
  • Do you people know you're on TV? Like, right now?
  • Epic Sob Story vs. Two Teenage Girls...hmmmmm................
  • Stop letting Mel talk.
  • The Who What Now Boys will be in the house next week? Huh? Well, whatever they are they can't be worse than this week's "fun" filler.
  • "You've told the world you have Tourette's." Was this his deep dark secret or something?
  • We get it, Heidi, you love everybody. Pick one.
  • The children's choir brought "yumminess"?
  • Way to not have to actually make a decision, Simon.

Results below, if you want 'em:

Spoiler

Advanced:

• Shin Lim (Close-up Magician)
  • Michael Ketterer (Singer)
  • Zurcaroh (Acrobatic Group)
  • Samuel J. Comroe (Stand-up Comedian) - Dunkin Save, Audience Pick
  • Duo Transcend (Trapeze Duo)  - Dunkin Save, Judges' Pick Audience vote winner

Eliminated:

• Us the Duo (Band of Three)
  • Makayla Phillips ('nother Singer)
  • Amanda Mena (Singer, again)
  • Front Pictures (Fishy Space Explorers)
  • Junior New System (Dance Group)
  • The Cult of Rainbow Brite, er, Voices of Hope Children's Choir - Dunkin Save, Lost after Simon punted it back to the audience vote

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 9

@ams1001 - I love your snark. This season has been lackluster (save for a few acts), so the snark here makes sitting through this season worth it.

A lot of people called it: Shim Lim, Zurcaroh, Michael Ketterer, Samuel and Duo Transcend. So we have just one singer moving through.

21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Epic Sob Story vs. Two Teenage Girls...hmmmmm................

Oh yeah, that is a dead giveaway. Look at the big picture. His packages were all about him being an angel on earth. The judges talk about how he's a good guy more-so than his voice. Last night, they said, "A guy like you deserves it." Translation being because he's a good guy, she deserve it. I admire him for what he does, but I don't believe that good guy=Las Vegas Act/1,000,000. I'm curious as to how his package edit will be like in the finals. Or if he'll get the pimp spot (or if Courtney will. We know that she'll be there). And no offense to Michael, but Simon, I'm sure Garth Brooks has better things to do than to pander to your pimping out your Golden Buzzer. Sit down, please. By what I've seen so far, it's makes me wonder if you've been pulling strings behind the strings for your guy.

21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The children's choir brought "yumminess"?

Yeah, that sounds very creepy.

I guess we will not be witnessing the immaculate birth of Us the Duo/Trio to complete their, "Oh so perfect/No one has a much happier-greater love than us" story. That put to a quick end.

So far, I'm rooting for Shin Lim, or Zurcaroh (even though I cannot stand Tyra, I'm glad that she had given the latter the Golden Buzzer). Even though I do chuckle here and there with him, I like Samuel, so I'll enjoy him.

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

@ams1001 - I love your snark. This season has been lackluster (save for a few acts), so the snark here makes sitting through this season worth it.

Glad you enjoy it. If I couldn't snark on it, I think I'd just have to stop watching. ;)

• Love 4

I think America is telling these judges WE DO NOT LIKE YOUR GOLDEN BUZZERS. About time. Used to be almost all the Golden Buzzers would make the finals. 

So far :

2 Golden Buzzers In Michael & Zurcaroh 

5 Golden Buzzers out Amanda Mena, Makayla Philips, Flau'jae, Voices Of Hope, and Quin and Misha.

2 TBD Courtney and Angel City Chroale. 

So at most we will only get 4 golden buzzers in the finals out of 9.

I noticed a couple people are wondering if there is producer interference with Michael. One thing I find very interesting with that is he was supposed to compete in the first Quarterfinal which had Courtney, Angel City, Amanda Mena,  and Shin Lim. For whatever reason 24 hours before Michael was moved to the 3rd week and Flau'jae was in the first week. Even though I wasn't a big fan of Flau'jae I feel like she got thrown in the fire and Michael was given the easier week that the only other GB there was Zucracoh and it included a lot of acts who were never going to make it through.

• Love 7

Aaron Crow, Danger Act (JC)

Angel City Chorale, Choir (DS)(GB)

Brian King Joseph, Electric Violinist

Christina Wells, Singer

Courtney Hadwin, Singer (GB)

Daniel Emmet, Opera Singer  (DS)

Da RepubliK, Dance Group (JC)

Glennis Grace, Singer

Noah Guthrie, Singer/Guitarist

Vicki Barbolak, Stand-up Comedienne

We Three, Band

Since Aaron Crow, Angel City, Daniel Emmet, and Da Republik have all been a Dunkin Save or JC that usually is not a good sign for making the finals (because they were 6,7,8 before out of 12, now you have to be 4, 5, or 6 out of 11 to even be in JC contention which means you need to raise 2-3 spots in the rankings against less acts). Thats probably 4 of the eliminations right there. One of them could DS again like Evie Clair I guess. 

I have a hard time picking 5 of these. 

Courtney for sure, Noah (Glee fans?), and I guess Brian King Joseph?

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 3

Thanks for the rundown.

Now I can skip it (in Hawaii, won't come on for another 3 hours). 

Still say Michael Ketterer is the producer picked winner. 

I think this may be my last season for any "got talent" show....

• Love 4

* Shaddup Mel. And watch out for her flailing arms and Heidi's spastic hands... they're missiles!

* Tyra's Oprah Bellowing is more than annoying! (And her hips and butt are huge--- I'm a gay man, so I should know).

* If you cry somewhere along the way, you make it to the finals. If you're pregnant, you won't.

* Yes-- I can be a happy, positive person... "yay" for my boy Sam!

* Did anyone actually think that Shin Lim wouldn't go to finals? Let's see some hands. None?

* "I still love you guys"... oh shaddup.

• Love 1

No legitimate guest performance - we get Howie Undercover instead?  Jidges playing Concentration?   zzzzzzz 

I really don't get why the comic enjoys so much good will.  Other than his first appearance, I haven't laughed once.  I am usually posting at this point in an AGT season how the comics are getting the shaft by TPTB.  This year, between this guy and the big lady I a wondering if comedy belongs in this show at all.  YMMV.

I've always liked Mel B. as an AGT jidge.  Now, when I watch her, I mostly look for hints of her being altered.  I hate that.  She seemed perfectly well tonight.  I forwarded through most of the jidge comments but the few I watched achieved new levels of hyperbolic BS.  They (their writers?) are earning their cash this season.

Ameriker did a good job this week.  The few who absolutely deserved to get through, did. 

• Love 2

Only 1 singer advances based on audience votes. Are you getting the hint judges and producers? America apparently wants a little more variety in your variety show.

I'm curious to see what Shin Lim does next. With the AGT exposure plus his already big fan base created from Fool Us, he is guaranteed his own show in Vegas if he wants it. The headlining show is just a 3 night deal for the winner but I wonder if NBC maintains some rights which could affect a full time residence show. Piff was in a similar position and seemed to blow his finale performance on purpose. Hard to find details of the contract contestants must sign for being part of AGT. If it is like any other reality show they are getting their cut. 

• Love 3

Finally a results show that didn't end with me sighing deeply and switching channels to watch reruns of Saved By the Bell instead. It hasn't been a great season, but at least the final line-up is starting to look pretty decent as far as variety is concerned. Of course we have to get through the singing apocalypse next week...Might as well try to predict that:

11: Da RepubliK - fodder
10: Vicki Barbolak - the best she can hope for is to get to the dunkin save and she MIGHT get there with the right material...or she can just yell "TRAILER NASTY" for 2 straight minutes and probably do as well
9. Daniel Emmett - Considering his dunkin save status, it's not looking too good for poor ol Popera Boy. But he might grab some horny votes and with the right song choice (please not nessun dorma) he has a small shot at making it to the save again (nessun dorma and my TV gets the boot)
8. Christina Wells - I think it'll either be Christina or Glennis, but not both...and I'm giving the edge to Glennis right now, but the song choice/performance could change everything
7. Aaron Crow - With an overload of singing acts, he might actually stand out. I mean he got through despite being buzzed and taking a century on stage last time so with the right act, he has a shot (not at Heidi's head again)...it just needs to be something REALLY impressive and not just 12 minutes of him standing around being all "Hello I'm, Mr Sexy Vampire Man Guy, vote please"
6. Angel City Chorale - Another Dunkin Save act that NEEDS to up their game and get back to what made them so impressive in the first time. JAZZHANDS. Another underwhelming performance and they are gone.
5. Noah Guthrie - Guy with a guitar, have to have one in the final. It's a tradition.
4. Glennis Grace - Read Christina Wells
3. We Three - Relatively safe due to their story, BUT they haven't reached their full potential yet and have to really impress the judges. If they get a timid response yet again, they might easily be out.
2. Brian King Joseph - Because yes.
1. Courtney Hadwin - Winner winner, chicken dinner!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Garth Brooks has better things to do than to pander to your pimping out your Golden Buzzer. Sit down, please. By what I've seen so far, it's makes me wonder if you've been pulling strings behind the strings for your guy.

Well, of course, Garth Brooks was surely commissioned from the beginning of the season to write a song.  It's how show biz works.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Well, of course, Garth Brooks was surely commissioned from the beginning of the season to write a song.  It's how show biz works.

I think he knows Courtney is going to win and is trying to close the gap by pulling the Garth brooks thing.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Only 1 singer advances based on audience votes. Are you getting the hint judges and producers? America apparently wants a little more variety in your variety show. 

Yes, I was very happy with the results as well. Surprised but glad that Us Duo/Trio did not get to the finals, and also thought that Amanda Mena might make it. Of course Michael Ketterer making to the finals was a foregone conclusion, but glad to see some of the other Golden Buzzers getting bounced. No way did Voices of Hope ever deserve a GB. (Watching tonight, I kept remembering a comment someone posted earlier, that in those brightly colored jumpsuits they look like little convicts.)

Now I need to see the Angel City choir fail next week. We will still have plenty of singes in the finals, as I think that Courtney, the guy from Glee, and Glennis are all locks to make it.

Thanks God I tape this show so I can fast forward through all the filler. These results episodes are really horrible.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I really don't get why the comic enjoys so much good will.  Other than his first appearance, I haven't laughed once.  I am usually posting at this point in an AGT season how the comics are getting the shaft by TPTB.  This year, between this guy and the big lady I a wondering if comedy belongs in this show at all.  YMMV.

Comedy is very subjective.  We absolutely adore Samuel.  He makes us laugh every time.  Sometimes just quiet little amused laughs and sometimes full outright laughing.  It's like last season a lot of people just loved Preacher Lawson, and honestly we couldn't stand him.  I don't think he ever made us laugh once (although most of the time we couldn't understand a damn thing he was saying).  It's like with the other comic there now - Vickie.  Cannot stand her.  Didn't like her the first time she was on and liked her less the second time.  Different strokes.  :)

I am so very happy that Us the Duo went home.  Now they can have their baby in peace and let us out of it.  Sorry to see Voices of Hope go.  We did like them.  Glad to see Zucaroh and Shin Lim made it through.  Don't care about Michael - seems like a nice guy and has a nice voice, but he doesn't wow me.  We're still stuck with Duo Transcend, but I guess we can't have it all.  Mostly a good group going through.  Right now we would be happy with a win for any of Samuel, Shin Lim, or Zucaroh. 

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Howie wears a disguise and messes with people! What fun!! 

All I could think about during this segment was how the back area is full of fake people, extras, hired to be there, pretending to be acts waiting to audition. Several people who have been asked to audition by TPTB have posted comments about that. So Howie fooling with people who are themselves foolers was ... well, fill in your own blank. Plus there was a camera filming his interaction? Yeah, right. Everyone was (not) fooled.

At least Shin Lim went through, although as someone posted above, I sort of hope he doesn't win so he won't be under some crazy contract for who knows how long, and not able to pursue any venues for as long as the contract chains him up.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I know the show has been recruiting people instead of open auditions.  I wonder how hey choose the comedy and magic acts? I would like see more comedy and magic acts but haven't been wow'd by who they have chosen. Out of all of them I like Shin Lin but I could not sit through and hour and half of his act in Vegas, plus it would have to be a small stage which only works for big names. I live close to Vegas and a magician needs a big act with large props and grand tricks to fill a show and also make people sitting everywhere in a large venue feel like $100+ was worth it. From what I understand Shin has been doing private parties nad corporate events which is probably the best showcase of his work. It seems like he makes good money, not as much as Vegas but still a good living doing magic, maybe that is where his act should stay along with a few TV appearances now that he has more fame (like morning shows, Kelly, Ellen etc). 

As for comedians, there are certainly better out there then this year. Comedians should be he easiest to audition, just send in a 10 minute segment. I always thought they should have Howie be a mentor or even do the comedy act pre screening? 

I think last night was pretty obvious, the only surprise was that the judges did not save the kids choir (I was happy they did not, they were cute, but I didnt think they were much better then the kids choir that is at our elementary school, our family didn't like those jumpsuits either). 

So I guess it is Micheal Vs Courtney? with Zucaroh in the top 3? 

My mom and her friends are causal viewers , they don't read online or know that many of the acts have been on other shows before. They like Courtney. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, silverspoons said:

I know the show has been recruiting people instead of open auditions.  I wonder how hey choose the comedy and magic acts?

I wonder if they go on YouTube or something. I hear that was how Michael Ketterer was found (and I know that he's not a comic/comedian). 

1 hour ago, silverspoons said:

So I guess it is Micheal Vs Courtney? with Zucaroh in the top 3? 

I think the top five will be Courtney, Michael, Zucaroh and Shin Lim. I know that I'm missing one, but I can't quite put my finger on who would round out the top five. Maybe Noah or Glennis.

Courtney will win, but Michael will come in second. I know that I've said it many times, but Simo-er, the AGT gods seemed to have pushed very hard to get Michael to the top. 

That's just my prediction.

• Love 1

Ugh, cannot stand Courtney. I mean, I'm sure she's a fine person, but the last thing the world needs is an (poor) imitation of Janis Joplin and other greats from the past.

I just cannot see what in the world she would do going forward as an actual performer. Certainly no radio play -- maybe a Vegas lounge act. But it's all so manufactured and fake... 

I grew up in the late 60s and 70s and I really resent some young chick co-opting REAL talent and emotion to create some fake persona just to win a talent competition. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, LucidDreamer said:

Ugh, cannot stand Courtney. I mean, I'm sure she's a fine person, but the last thing the world needs is an (poor) imitation of Janis Joplin and other greats from the past.

I just cannot see what in the world she would do going forward as an actual performer. Certainly no radio play -- maybe a Vegas lounge act. But it's all so manufactured and fake... 

I grew up in the late 60s and 70s and I really resent some young chick co-opting REAL talent and emotion to create some fake persona just to win a talent competition. 

This is the problem with the show the last three years now. It isn't about being a vegas act anymore even though they keep mentioning that over and over. Ever since Grace Vanderwall it has turned into who can be the most viral act. Who does the viral community like, imitate, and follow? They need to make it clearer what the goal here is and its being the most viral act now and not necessarily being the most vegas adapted act.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LucidDreamer said:

Amen! We weren't stunned in a good way when she came out with her "act" the first night, we both felt it was too rehearsed, too fake and not really that great. This is the first season we've ever watched and really had no clue how the judges would react and I have to say we were pretty shocked that they liked her. 

Shin Lim and Brian King Joseph - all the way!!!

• Love 5

The only person I was rooting for to get through was Shin Lim so that's all I care about. I'm only letting myself hope that he'll be in the top five to prepare myself for the disappointment when he loses to Courtney.

19 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I'm curious to see what Shin Lim does next. With the AGT exposure plus his already big fan base created from Fool Us, he is guaranteed his own show in Vegas if he wants it. The headlining show is just a 3 night deal for the winner but I wonder if NBC maintains some rights which could affect a full time residence show. Piff was in a similar position and seemed to blow his finale performance on purpose. Hard to find details of the contract contestants must sign for being part of AGT. If it is like any other reality show they are getting their cut. 

I've seen contracts for similar competitive reality shows, though not this one, through my job. Usually how long they own your touring rights is in proportion to how far you advance. If I had to guess I'd say all the finalists are bound to at least one year of this show owning their touring rights with at least one option for renewal, and the winner is probably bound to at least two years.

8 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

They did this same thing with Grace and Darcy. They got a bunch of fans of both to do covers/imitations of them and if you remember their finale packages was them reacting to the videos. I think thats whats happening here.

Ok but...wouldn't it be hilarious if they got a bunch of reaction videos of people being thoroughly unimpressed? It's so mean, I know, she's a child, but this show brings out the absolute worst in me.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, helenamonster said:

The only person I was rooting for to get through was Shin Lim so that's all I care about. I'm only letting myself hope that he'll be in the top five to prepare myself for the disappointment when he loses to Courtney.

I've seen contracts for similar competitive reality shows, though not this one, through my job. Usually how long they own your touring rights is in proportion to how far you advance. If I had to guess I'd say all the finalists are bound to at least one year of this show owning their touring rights with at least one option for renewal, and the winner is probably bound to at least two years.

Ok but...wouldn't it be hilarious if they got a bunch of reaction videos of people being thoroughly unimpressed? It's so mean, I know, she's a child, but this show brings out the absolute worst in me.

They obviously wouldn't use those. Theres plenty out there from her fans that praise her.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:03 PM, ams1001 said:
  • Tyra's got a different dress but they still forgot to dry her hair...and apparently she lost a sleeve, too.
  • The Who What Now Boys will be in the house next week? Huh? Well, whatever they are they can't be worse than this week's "fun" filler.
  Reveal hidden contents

Advanced:

• Shin Lim (Close-up Magician)
  • Michael Ketterer (Singer)
  • Zurcaroh (Acrobatic Group)
  • Samuel J. Comroe (Stand-up Comedian) - Dunkin Save, Audience Pick
  • Duo Transcend (Trapeze Duo)  - Dunkin Save, Judges' Pick Audience vote winner

Eliminated:

• Us the Duo (Band of Three)
  • Makayla Phillips ('nother Singer)
  • Amanda Mena (Singer, again)
  • Front Pictures (Fishy Space Explorers)
  • Junior New System (Dance Group)
  • The Cult of Rainbow Brite, er, Voices of Hope Children's Choir - Dunkin Save, Lost after Simon punted it back to the audience vote

With that crusty sewer hair, it makes sense Tyra is an anagram for y'rat. I find her much more tolerable than Heidi and Mel who are seen bouncing up and down in their seats like overexcited babies, it's so irritating. Also, the boy band that's performing next week is BTS - they're Korean, so non-Korean pop fans can't be blamed for not knowing who they are, since their fanbase seems to exist entirely on Twitter and YouTube.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Ameriker did a good job this week.  The few who absolutely deserved to get through, did. 

I've always doubted how much the viewer's votes matter at all - American Idol is easier to question this because it seems quite bizarre that millions of people would support the winner throughout the show's airing and then not support them when their album comes out at all. The name Candace Glover is synonymous with "who?".

On 9/6/2018 at 3:37 AM, Frankenstein123 said:

10: Vicki Barbolak - the best she can hope for is to get to the dunkin save and she MIGHT get there with the right material...or she can just yell "TRAILER NASTY" for 2 straight minutes and probably do as well

For the sake of marketing her image, I think Vicki needs to stay far away from Dunkin Donuts. Anyways, Samuel healed my dual sided stroke face that his previous performances had inflicted and made me laugh at a joke or two - can Vicki do the same? I doubt it. Vicki's routine being locked into a stereotype really hurts the appeal of the subject matter because even if her previous performances were good (they were not), the gimmick is already stale.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:10 AM, anthonyd46 said:

I think he knows Courtney is going to win and is trying to close the gap by pulling the Garth brooks thing.

What are the odds that Michael gets Garth Brooks and Courtney gets a Janis Joplin hologram? I'd say only the former, since Michael has gotten his ass kissed the whole season.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:45 AM, saber5055 said:

All I could think about during this segment was how the back area is full of fake people, extras, hired to be there, pretending to be acts waiting to audition. Several people who have been asked to audition by TPTB have posted comments about that. So Howie fooling with people who are themselves foolers was ... well, fill in your own blank. Plus there was a camera filming his interaction? Yeah, right. Everyone was (not) fooled.

I have no idea who these segments are for - does anybody find them entertaining? I know they're made just to fill up time, but damn, none of them have ever been funny.

On 9/6/2018 at 12:46 PM, LucidDreamer said:

Ugh, cannot stand Courtney.

You mean the shy introvert who has no problem performing in front of thousands of people? Nothing to get annoyed over (eyeroll)

On 9/6/2018 at 12:50 PM, anthonyd46 said:

Ever since Grace Vanderwall it has turned into who can be the most viral act. Who does the viral community like, imitate, and follow?

If that is their goal, they've certainly been doing a poor job at trying to craft a new internet personality. If you remember Collins Key from a few seasons back, he is a very popular YouTube personality now, though his schtick has nothing to do with what he was doing on AGT (magic I think?). He's young, tall, and good looking with a decent personality - that's about all you need. Singers or comedians are the best AGT acts to turn into internet """stars""" because those talents are easily transmutable into consistent content - there's no way the youth would care about that balding guy with no personality from Front Pictures coming on camera to announce their next cinematic masterpiece that is 6 months away (the most hyperbolic idea I could think of on the spot).

Ending my post on a joke, the name Shin Lim is an ode to the show being on its last leg except for him.

• Love 4
On 9/7/2018 at 9:57 PM, anthonyd46 said:

They obviously wouldn't use those. Theres plenty out there from her fans that praise her.

Well, obviously. I expect the package they put together to be full of people essentially witnessing the rapture. It was just a funny thought I had, like if somebody had organized something along the lines of the "Vote For The Worst" trend in ye olde AI days.

• Love 2

Ok but...wouldn't it be hilarious if they got a bunch of reaction videos of people being thoroughly unimpressed?

This is almost the premise of The Gong Show--where the line is getting blurrier and blurrier--though on The Gong Show there's no golden buzzer, and any judge can stop an act. 

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, LucidDreamer said:

I actually believe that she legitimately loves this music. I know a number of kids her age who reject contemporary manufactured, heartless pop and prefer to listen to their parents' old records. My issue with her (and the reason I hate the Janis Joplin comparisons) is that Courtney is just not much of a singer. (Which Janis was, above all, despite many people seeming to focus more on the legend of the hard drinking, hard living gal who died too young.)

Were Courtney to just stand at the microphone and sing no one would be that impressed. What seems to excite people is how she runs all around the stage (I hesitate to use the word "dancing") as if she were possessed. That's the angle AGT has been pushing from the beginning - the shy, introverted Scottish school girl who, when the music starts, undergoes a miraculous transformation, as if possessed by the spirit of these great old soul and blues singers. We're not supposed to judge her act by normal musical standards, because we're witnessing some kind of mystical, religious experience.

To which I say hogwash.

I don't think her act is totally contrived just to win talent contents, but with someone that young there usually is a healthy dose of adult manipulation. My guess is that her father has been masterminding her career.  It's working so far, but I also don't see any huge potential down the road. There are tons of bands out there covering the music of that era. Once the novelty of her act wears off, and she gets a bit older, I think she'll fade away.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
On 9/10/2018 at 2:58 PM, bluepiano said:

I actually believe that she legitimately loves this music. I know a number of kids her age who reject contemporary manufactured, heartless pop and prefer to listen to their parents' old records. My issue with her (and the reason I hate the Janis Joplin comparisons) is that Courtney is just not much of a singer. (Which Janis was, above all, despite many people seeming to focus more on the legend of the hard drinking, hard living gal who died too young.)

Were Courtney to just stand at the microphone and sing no one would be that impressed. What seems to excite people is how she runs all around the stage (I hesitate to use the word "dancing") as if she were possessed. That's the angle AGT has been pushing from the beginning - the shy, introverted Scottish school girl who, when the music starts, undergoes a miraculous transformation, as if possessed by the spirit of these great old soul and blues singers. We're not supposed to judge her act by normal musical standards, because we're witnessing some kind of mystical, religious experience.

To which I say hogwash.

I don't think her act is totally contrived just to win talent contents, but with someone that young there usually is a healthy dose of adult manipulation. My guess is that her father has been masterminding her career.  It's working so far, but I also don't see any huge potential down the road. There are tons of bands out there covering the music of that era. Once the novelty of her act wears off, and she gets a bit older, I think she'll fade away.

I'm going to go to hell for this, but your post made me chuckle. But I do agree.

The whole, "I'm shy. I have a hard time connecting with people. People don't get me." play she does, with the turnaround of her singing (screeching and screaming - she DOES have some decent moments) does seem to have an agenda of pushing the "Wow factor." That has become her schtick with AGT. I haven't watch The Voice Kids - UK to know if she used the same act.

But how long can the AGT audience buy it. Especially when Courtney takes the Vegas (or any other) big stage. I'm not sure how long the novelty would last of her coming out, hanging her head, speaking quietly and then breaking out with what she does. It will grow thin. 

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I'm going to go to hell for this, but your post made me chuckle. But I do agree.

The whole, "I'm shy. I have a hard time connecting with people. People don't get me." play she does, with the turnaround of her singing (screeching and screaming - she DOES have some decent moments) does seem to have an agenda of pushing the "Wow factor." That has become her schtick with AGT. I haven't watch The Voice Kids - UK to know if she used the same act.

But how long can the AGT audience buy it. Especially when Courtney takes the stage. I'm not sure how long the novelty would last of her coming out, hanging her head, speaking quietly and then breaking out with what she does. It will grow thin. 

I think she is just too far ahead at this point to lose.

• Love 1

I finally caught up on the last two weeks. 

If Simon is calling out Garth Brooks to write a song, the song has already been written. He will probably even make an appearance on AGT. 

I'm surprised the Tourettes comedian guy won the Dunkin save. I thought it would be anyone but him. He is like the male version of that lady comedian. You really want to like them, but they don't make you laugh. Although. technically you feel like they should. 

Shin Lim is amazing. 

That is all. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

I think she is just too far ahead at this point to lose.

I edited my post. I probably wasn't clear with what I had written. I do believe that Courtney will win, mostly based on her schtick, but my question was when she gets out there on the big stage, how is she going to (continue) to carry on that "I'm so shy" act and then breaking out with the singing/screaming and spazzing. How long can she pull that act or can she when she gets out there?

• Love 3

Oh, god. I didn't even entertain the idea of Courtney winning until reading this thread. I love that music era, but all I hear is a little girl damaging her vocal cords by screaming nonstop. She'd be better suited working the haunted houses next month and doing voice overs for horror flicks. 

I don't really love anyone enough to hope they win (I'm just not wowed by Shin Lim, nor do I see him as eye candy to enjoy. There, I said it.), but I'd rather see one of the not remotely funny comedians take it over her. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I do believe that Courtney will win, mostly based on her schtick, but my question was when she gets out there on the big stage, how is she going to (continue) to carry on that "I'm so shy" act and then breaking out with the singing/screaming and spazzing. How long can she pull that act or can she when she gets out there?

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching her tonight. 

• Love 2
On 9/10/2018 at 3:00 PM, marketdoctor said:

This is almost the premise of The Gong Show--where the line is getting blurrier and blurrier--though on The Gong Show there's no golden buzzer, and any judge can stop an act. 

Yes, I know last season, there was some crossover, but this season on The Gong Show, it seems a lot of the acts have been on America's Got Talent before.

It's interesting because some that did relatively well on America's Got Talent haven't necessarily done that well on The Gong Show. Although Christian and Scooby did end up winning on one of the episodes of The Gong Show

4 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I edited my post. I probably wasn't clear with what I had written. I do believe that Courtney will win, mostly based on her schtick, but my question was when she gets out there on the big stage, how is she going to (continue) to carry on that "I'm so shy" act and then breaking out with the singing/screaming and spazzing. How long can she pull that act or can she when she gets out there?

Thanks for the perfect description of what she does, especially the word "spazzing," which was used a lot in my youth but I think is no longer acceptable in this PC age. (Though I myself am seldom PC).

And no way does her shtick translate to a professional career. Even with the money to hire a good back-up band, I can't see people wanting to pay to sit through an entire show of soul and r&b covers by a teenager. (I also wonder if she has ever actually performed a full two plus hour live show. That takes a lot of physical energy and stamina. Very different from the 3-4 minutes on stage at AGT or the other TV talent shows she's done).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

As I said earlier I think this show has turned into social media followings instead of the Vegas act thing. She got the YouTube reaction video a round before grace and Darcy got it. I dunno if the shy thing will continue to be part of the act but I think this show needs to really make clear what the point is. One minute they ask you to be perfect the next minute they say it's ok if you aren't. One minute it needs to be Vegas quality and the next it doesn't need to be. 

Like I said just look at the media even they only talk about her:

https://www.etonline.com/tv/americas-got-talent

https://people.com/tv/ (Christina Wells does get a mention here for the Aretha choice)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/courtney-hadwin-americas-got-talent-semifinal_us_5b98d43ae4b0511db3e77cb6

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/a23086224/courtney-hadwin-americas-got-talent-the-voice/

Edited by anthonyd46
3 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

As I said earlier I think this show has turned into social media followings instead of the Vegas act thing. She got the YouTube reaction video a round before grace and Darcy got it. I dunno if the shy thing will continue to be part of the act but I think this show needs to really make clear what the point is. One minute they ask you to be perfect the next minute they say it's ok if you aren't. One minute it needs to be Vegas quality and the next it doesn't need to be. 

Like I said just look at the media even they only talk about her:

https://www.etonline.com/tv/americas-got-talent

https://people.com/tv/ (Christina Wells does get a mention here for the Aretha choice)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/courtney-hadwin-americas-got-talent-semifinal_us_5b98d43ae4b0511db3e77cb6

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/a23086224/courtney-hadwin-americas-got-talent-the-voice/

Sorry if I misunderstood you. And you are correct. I even did a Google search for the AGT vote (to vote) and one of the top links was "How to Vote for Courtney Hadwin." In the link, only her number is featured. 

Interesting...

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/courtney-hadwin-americas-got-talent-how-to-vote-september-11-semifinal-agt-news/

2 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Sorry if I misunderstood you. And you are correct. I even did a Google search for the AGT vote (to vote) and one of the top links was "How to Vote for Courtney Hadwin." In the link, only her number is featured. 

Interesting...

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/courtney-hadwin-americas-got-talent-how-to-vote-september-11-semifinal-agt-news/

This is why she was able to take the risk she did last night. Her team was able to gauge what the audience likes and what they don't then pian whatever to give 120% effort in the finals. Its really no secret the acts that perform at the end of the show have a better chance to advance/win. In the Golden Buzzer era every winner has performed in the last 3 acts of the night in every live show round except for Paul Zerdin who was 6th in the finals (he went 2nd to last in quarters and last in semi's)

Edited by anthonyd46