Type keyword(s) to search

Cold Justice - General Discussion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I don't understand this episode. They gave it an unprecedented extra half hour, had a witness come out of the woodwork to place the husband at her car...and nothing happened! Why bother with the extra time? "We'll keep working on it." They accomplished almost nothing.

• Love 2

I was wondering if the same District Attorney was still there. They never did say, like they did when talking about the new chief of police. They have an excellent circumstantial case against the husband, especially with the new witness. I think the point was to show that even after 27 years, the DA's office is still dirty and the Attorney General needs to take over. Hopefully it won't take another 27 years. 

• Love 5

Well, I think part of the reason for doing this show, was to use the pressure a TV can bring to the DA's office. I've seen a number of pissed off people publish the telephone numbers of the DA's office, and I bet the DA is pretty pissed about this.

• Love 3

Exactly. That is why it was the finale. But since the DA's office hasn't done anything for 27 years, despite pressure from the family and the new investigation bringing in new evidence, all they are going to do is be pissed. It will take the AG's office moving out of the current DA's jurisdiction in order to get an indictment and fair trial (all those billboards up over 27 years in that area can be used by the defense as a reason to move the trial too).

I also think Kelly let Johhny!Bonds take the lead and do the lion's share of the work due to her legal issues in Texas over the past few years. They knew the DA was the issue from the start of the investigation, so she let the local guys and JB do all the work. The AG office will have the final say and there might be a conflict of interest between them and Kelly.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 2

I am not sure that there was really enough evidence to try the husband. Do I think he did it? yes.

But just because he called people in  the middle of the night wondering where his newly separated wife was ( when he was at her house at 2am with their kids), isn’t enough to convict. Just because he had handed a private investigator an envelope that jingled.  Some guy saying he saw him a 114 yds away from his house at a car isn’t either.  He only moved out that morning- that visitor wouldn’t have known that and so wouldn’t have been surprised to see him. Why would he then remember it when he was most likely just as drunk as his mistress? 

This is the problem with 27+ Years older cases. I don’t remember details about good or bad things from that far back. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Oh man, this was a heartbreaker.  I hope they eventually get that rotten husband. And, what a total pig he was ---- being interviewed with no shirt on. GROSS.

Re: the non shirt, I was like put a shirt on dirt bag lol.

It was a sad case ,they all are, but yeah made me sad for the woman . She felt she was starting a new life and he ended it before it began. 

• Love 3

I like this show a lot; I really enjoy seeing the process of analyzing a crime. I do wish we had more of a chance to read the  notations on the whiteboard when they’re brainstorming. Occasionally there’s a glimpse of something intriguing that they never discuss on camera. I’d even be happy if they made each episode two hours long if that included more time and to read those boards and allow us to think and speculate and analyze along with LE and Kelly. 

• Love 4

Happy to see a new season. This first case is also something; two dead wives and then they find out the husband also was the first person to find his deceased brother-in-law. I was wondering how much say the coroner's office guy had in the first dead wife case. Seems like he had suspicions but was not able to act on them. I do like the fact that he was a big part of the current investigation. Nice to have the input from that office.

• Love 1

Not surprised the DA didn't take any action on this case, they didn't really have anything. Lots of their cases are based on just circumstantial evidence, but this was so thin it basically amounted to; he talked about killing him and then he turned up dead.

• Love 1

I just did a search on Duell and Tiffee and one of the things I read was Tiffee was charged back in 2016 but charges were dropped for lack of evidence.  No articles regarding Cold Justice investigating the case years later. 

I don’t know about anyone else but I like to look these cases up after they are aired. 

• Love 5
On 3/4/2019 at 6:54 AM, Ellee said:

I don’t know about anyone else but I like to look these cases up after they are aired. 

I don't look up the cases afterward, but every time I see an older show that I haven't watched before, and the perp gets the death penalty, I always look up to see if he was put to death.  I would say that in about 1 out of 25 or 30 cases, the guy was put to death.  In about 2 cases, the guy has died in prison for some other reason, but in the vast majority of cases, the guy is alive and well in prison, even 10-25 years later...which sucks.

• Love 2
On 3/4/2019 at 3:54 AM, Ellee said:

I just did a search on Duell and Tiffee and one of the things I read was Tiffee was charged back in 2016 but charges were dropped for lack of evidence.  No articles regarding Cold Justice investigating the case years later. 

I don’t know about anyone else but I like to look these cases up after they are aired. 

I do look up the status of the shows. Its always surprising to see how long it takes for these cases to come to trial. 

• Love 1

Hope with this topic being hidden others will find it and post.  Going to put basically the same message with In Pursuit with John Walsh. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 1

Yet another case they couldn't find enough solid evidence to prosecute.  These cases have lots of circumstantial evidence but just not enough to go beyond a doubt.  I think the last 3 have ended this way.  I wonder if all their cases this season will end this way??? 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, AngelinaMaria said:

Yet another case they couldn't find enough solid evidence to prosecute. 

I was wondering during this episode if the sheriff's office had Kelly and Co. come in just to try their interview techniques on the various players. Try and break them that way. But it WAS very disappointing that they didn't get any additional info that could lead to a successful prosecution.

• Love 3

The Colorado VFW case - it seems likely that Robbie did it, but there is certainly reasonable doubt. 

I don't think Sean had anything to do with it, but they took his word as if he was trustworthy.  "Sean just corroborated his alibi by telling us he was at work."  No Kelly, thats not what corroboration means.  Him telling you in 2018 that he was at work in 1991 means absolutely nothing.

I'm glad the DA didn't go any further with the case.

• Love 2

Yeah ... innocent until proven guilty ... Kristina and her hubby ... have a feeling not so innocent.  Interesting how she cried while talking to Johnny Bonds when talking about her mother but never bothered to report her missing.

This particular show more than ever made me wonder how much more footage didn’t air.  I do have a tendency to look up victims/suspects’ names after the initial airing of an episode but I can’t remember the names today for some reason or I would. 

I wonder if they will do an update show this season. 

• Love 3

I was curious why Kelly so quickly dismissed the idea that the daughter and son-in-law used the trailer house they took on their trip to dispose of the mom's body.  She thought it was an utterly ridiculous idea but I thought it was a reasonable idea, especially to dump the body far from where the lady was last seen.  Then, clean it well but leave it somewhere where it will easily get flooded and destroyed.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, AngelinaMaria said:

I was curious why Kelly so quickly dismissed the idea that the daughter and son-in-law used the trailer house they took on their trip to dispose of the mom's body. 

Same here. Makes perfect sense. But the one glitch would be the fact that Laurie was with them on that trip and she may have noticed a dead body in the trailer. They also didn't appear to ask Kristina or her husband about that trailer either. I know I would still head to that town and look for it, maybe in a junk yard or near where they visited. Unless someone has first-hand knowledge of the trailer being completely gone, I would not trust a word out of Kristina's or Hubby's mouth about it.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Same here. Makes perfect sense. But the one glitch would be the fact that Laurie was with them on that trip and she may have noticed a dead body in the trailer. They also didn't appear to ask Kristina or her husband about that trailer either. I know I would still head to that town and look for it, maybe in a junk yard or near where they visited. Unless someone has first-hand knowledge of the trailer being completely gone, I would not trust a word out of Kristina's or Hubby's mouth about it.

Do Kristina and Laurie get along now?  Even speak to each other?  If it was said I missed it. 

I agree with the comments about not believing anything coming out of Kristina’s or her husband’s mouth and will add her father’s mouth too.  The looks/body language of the dad adds him to the group.  Agree also about the trailer  

I have to wonder what evidence was left on the cutting room floor in order to protect the case moving forward. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ellee said:

Do Kristina and Laurie get along now?  Even speak to each other?  If it was said I missed it. 

I agree with the comments about not believing anything coming out of Kristina’s or her husband’s mouth and will add her father’s mouth too.  The looks/body language of the dad adds him to the group.  Agree also about the trailer  

I have to wonder what evidence was left on the cutting room floor in order to protect the case moving forward. 

Yes to all. There seemed to be a lot of interviews, etc that were  not shown in their entirety due to episode time constraints. 

My spouse wondered why the trailers hadn’t been searched earlier. I guess maybe they weren’t given permission at the beginning and then later they didn’t have time to devote to doing it?  And I’m sure this was a massive undertaking due to the amount of trash in them. 

• Love 3
On 3/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, Galloway Cave said:

Same here too, and she was very adamant.  Regarding the body being in the trailer with Laurie there, they could put it in a container (you know, like the kind they always buy at Walmart at 2:00 in the morning!), and have some simple explanation for it.  And yes, not looking for the trailer was odd too. 

They really do conduct a lot of interviews....there just seemed to be person after person appearing in that front seat! 

• Love 4

I’m interested to hear what you all thought of yesterday’s episode.  

Hope the step-father gets what he has coming to him.  

I can’t stop thinking of the troubled young son that committed suicide.  So many questions.  

What Kelly said about sometimes the answers come when the families of victims are ready for it and to now move on and live their best lives was good but I’m sure I’m not the only one that thought of the brother that was unable to make it to the day his step-father was charged.  

Definitely don’t have enough facts but I hope the young man’s voice is heard throughout the trial.  

Hope I am making sense. At least somewhat. 

• Love 1

Kelly sure does put it all together!  No body is always troubling to the prosecution!  That garbage search was massive!

I wondered if the younger brother received any kind of therapy?  So sad.

• Love 2
(edited)

That was a really tragic episode and that's saying a lot because this show is pretty dark. The son killing himself on his mother's grave right after Mother's Day makes me imagine all their future visits to their mom's grave after their brother died. Mother's Day is an obvious time to go pay tribute too. If I were in their place, I don't know if I could handle ever going there again.

Add to it the terrible things that were done to this sweet women and also the pictures of the bloody dog. Did they say that the children had to live with him for a year after the crime? It's just all so awful and I wonder how any of them stayed emotionally intact.

So many of these cases on this show are domestic violence cases. I got into to true crime after a co-worker of mine was murdered by her husband. She was going to leave him but hadn't done it yet which is apparently the most dangerous time for a person.

One thing I like about this show is that I get the sense they go to communities that can't afford to put enough resources on these crimes. Everyone kind of knows who did it (like the friend who said he was nervous and sweaty on the day of the murder) but it takes more time and research to gather the info to take to the DA.

It is a public service in a way that a lot of other true crime shows aren't. You could possibly put Unsolved Mysteries in the same category or America's Most Wanted.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 6
On 4/7/2019 at 8:10 AM, Ellee said:

I’m interested to hear what you all thought of yesterday’s episode.  

I watched that episode (Horror in the Home) on the same day that I watched the one before that (Family Betrayal).  Horror sounded like they had a good case, but I so surprised that the case on Betrayal is going forward.  It didn't sound anything like a strong enough case to move forward, just lots of very weak circumstantial evidence.  It makes me wonder if there was more evidence that for some reason they weren't able to show us.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Ellee said:

I just watched that episode of Cold Justice with the arrest of this devious old hag. She walked the earth for decades after killing her husband. 

And now they think she murdered one of her kids?  I hope her skanky ass gets beaten while she's in prison.

Thanks for posting that link Ellee!

42 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I just watched that episode of Cold Justice with the arrest of this devious old hag. She walked the earth for decades after killing her husband. 

And now they think she murdered one of her kids?  I hope her skanky ass gets beaten while she's in prison.

Thanks for posting that link Ellee!

I have a tendency to search the case afterwards.   

SMDH....the 13 year old’s suicide had me immediately thinking ‘the mother did it.’   I realize that that is not right but the way everyone described the mother how could one not.   And if the father was as nice as everyone claimed him to be wouldn’t he have been insisting on a thorough investigation. 

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Ellee said:

the 13 year old’s suicide had me immediately thinking ‘the mother did it.’  

It takes a different kind of demon to kill ones own child, so I'll give the old hag the "innocent until proven guilty" pass. But I won't be surprised if it's proven she did it. 

This show has become one of my true crime favorites.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1

Oh I agree with ‘the  innocent until proven guilty’.  I really do.  

When I read the 13 year old committed suicide with a rifle ... a rifle ... I just can’t see it ... a rifle and just a 13 year old baby.  

• Love 3

Girls/women rarely use firearms to commit suicide...that's a guy thing. If this little girl died from a gunshot wound, someone killed her. In 1981 the suicide rate among children/teens was minuscule...

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/6/2020 at 5:11 AM, Ellee said:

Something else .... when the mother was scheduled for a polygraph, she ‘accidentally’ shot herself with a rifle?    Coincidence?

It was a handgun, but your point still stands.  I'm also curious about the new forensic evidence alluded to in the article.  I guess the Cold Justice people couldn't get into all of that, but ooooh, so very curious!!

I did have to laugh when Kelly asked the locals to describe the old lady, and the first thing the one guy said was "She was MEAN!"  So on the board:  "MEAN LADY" in Kelly's meticulous printing.  Hee!

Edited by Lovecat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I don't understand why she wasn't arrested for threatening a police officer. If she really held a knife to his throat, he should have immediately brought her in and charged her. She also doesn't seem to have been prosecuted for the embezzlement of all that money. What the hell is wrong with the police in this town?

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I don't understand why she wasn't arrested for threatening a police officer. If she really held a knife to his throat, he should have immediately brought her in and charged her. She also doesn't seem to have been prosecuted for the embezzlement of all that money. What the hell is wrong with the police in this town?

I wondered about the threat not being followed up on, too (forgot about the embezzlement!). They made such a point about this being a small town where everyone knows everything going on - I wonder if it was like, “heh heh, the crazy old broad - you know how she is.” I mean, that one investigator talked about her throwing a butcher knife when she was pissed! Like, it happened to everyone who went in her store! I wonder if she was written off as eccentric or something? I’m NOT saying that’s OK. But sometimes in those very insular situations, things fester.

I always wish the camera would linger on the white board and let us read everything, just for the entertainment value. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I always wish the camera would linger on the white board and let us read everything, just for the entertainment value. 

Oh, I frequently hit pause to read the white board and (on this show and others) documents!  Sometimes there are things blurred out on the white board which make me even more curious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

They had two people admitting to their involvement. I'm not sure why they needed the team on this case, it was just cross-checking the stories. The only thing they were able to supply differently was the cadaver dog and they still haven't found anything. The DA hasn't even moved on arrests or prosecution.  On a shallow note, Kelly really needs to update her eye makeup.

I so wanted to see that all 3 had since been charged with murder as well as the young man’s remains had been found. 

The fact that Kimberley showed them where he was buried and he has not been found makes me wonder if Kimberley is deliberately misleading the police on the location.   I don’t know why.

I believe the rest of her story.  

I didn’t like the ex-wife at all.  

I just watched the episode about Stacey Devine, the mother of two who was killed by her evil husband in Arkansas. Are there any updates? I read an article saying a trial was to be had last fall, but there's nothing about the outcome. 

I’m watching yesterday’s episode.  Kittie Koseck.  What she and her family went through!  

I try to look up these cases after the show airs. I can’t find anything on this one.