Type keyword(s) to search

Cold Justice - General Discussion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

The Hubbard Oh 45 year old case… I’m immediately annoyed because Kelly and Tanya think it was rare to get divorced in 1977.  Really?   It didn’t seem all that unusual to me in 1977.  

You'd think. In Ohio you couldn't get a no fault divorce until 1974 and even then, there were hoops to jump through. The parties had to come to a complete agreement, or live apart for a specified period of time. So in 1977, a lot of people would have been under the impression that divorce was hard, and therefore unusual and there was a stigma against it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Percysowner said:

You'd think. In Ohio you couldn't get a no fault divorce until 1974 and even then, there were hoops to jump through. The parties had to come to a complete agreement, or live apart for a specified period of time. So in 1977, a lot of people would have been under the impression that divorce was hard, and therefore unusual and there was a stigma against it.

Oh, you had to have a reason, yes.   Often a made up one where one party accused the other of something.  The judges were aware of the way it worked.   But it wasn’t rare.  My mom and my step-father got married in 1964.  Each had been divorced once.   My uncle got divorced in 1972 and my aunt did in 1976.   Another aunt did in the late 1960s.  

internet statistic- 1977 21 per 1000 married women   2019 16 per 1000 married women. There are fewer marriages these days, so fewer divorces. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 1

Heartbreaking that no charges were able to be brought against the husband in the recent episode "Digging for Justice".  The DA mentioned there not being enough evidence to go forward at this point, but that could change if there is a body.  But why?  The woman is clearly dead...she's been gone over 40 years with no sign of life whatsoever -- leaving everything behind, no financial activity, no taxes, no contacting anyone. A body, while proof that she is dead, may not reveal any information about cause or manner of death, and reveal no further information than they already have.  Unfortunately, I don't think a body will turn up nor will they uncover any more information than Kelly and the team were able to uncover during their stay. So it looks like the guy will get away with murder, literally.

• Sad 2

Disappointed we are already getting 'new' recycled inside-the-episode shows. I would prefer they only do this if there is some kind of update. They ran one of the few 90 minute episodes this past Saturday and not only was the extra information few and far between, but the Kyron at the end still said they were considering the case. 

• Like 2

I forgot there was a forum dedicated to Cold Justice!

On 2/9/2024 at 11:13 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Just saw a promo for new episodes starting February 24.

Yes, the new season has started. I posted this over in the True Crime forum, but will post again here as well.

Regarding the first episode of the season...I don't think they had near enough evidence to bring the case to court. I think the guy is guilty as sin, and there was a smattering of circumstantial evidence (like the credit cards), but everything else was basically motive and character.  When they gave the de-brief to the niece (?) at the end, they were using a lot of gobbledy-gook say-nothing words, because I think they were told they need to do a lot more in order to even be able to get an arrest.

• Like 1

Just watched episode 4 about the 37-year-old case of a Kankakee, MI, pregnant woman found murdered two months after she went missing. Another circumstantial case. This season I don't recall the teams interviewing as many past wives and girlfriends of the suspects as in previous years. This episode they interviewed the woman who was married to the suspect at the time who did say he had choked her once. She divorced him within a year of the murder, so this guy presumably would have had other romantic relationships during the last 35 years. In the previous shows, these old wives/girlfriends, besides reporting similar violent behavior, would say that the guy had threatened them by saying things like, "Don't think I wouldn't strangle you; I've done it before," or "Do this, unless you want to end up like (victim). 

• Useful 2

Episode ‘stabbed in the heart’.   My DVR cut off after they told the deceased sister what they planned.  Did the son get arrested?  I can’t find anything online about it. 

Two part season finale. Not sure this warranted 2 hours but it ended with arrests. What makes me frustrated is so much of the evidence was already available at the time of the murders. They could have gotten the financials, interviewed the former employees who could have told them about the money problems, the facebook posts, the videos, everyone attesting how much Amy resented her mother...what the hell were the police doing? Was the survellience video of him wearing the Acics new or was that also something they had? Because if it was that's just inexcusable. 

The show also went out of their way to paint Amy as evil incarnate and Kathy, I think that was the mom's name, as a perfect angel. Which, no. Kellie kept bringing up Amy not wanting to listen to her mother from a young age like that was proof of her being the Bad Seed. If that's a crime then lock up every kid ever. Is she guilty? Oh yeah, but I've never seen such biased storytelling on Cold Justice before and it needs to stop.

Next week is a followup on a bunch of cases which I do want to see, but I wish someone besides Kellie was narrating. 

• Like 2