Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: To Hound Nature in Her Wanderings

I thought Duncan said that Leekie took Rachel away from him and his wife, and was responsible for killing Susan (the wife/mom). Leekie thinks Duncan is dead. So I suppose Duncan is hiding from Leekie so Leekie won't kill him. The reason Leekie wanted him and his wife killed is that they were going to expose the whole illegal cloning project.

Of course, you'd think that if that was the plan, then he'd do it already-- expose them! But maybe he feels it would do more harm to the clones to be exposed? It's just unclear to me why Duncan (or someone) hasn't leaked all those church basement documents to the media, or someone who would appreciate the whistleblowing.

The only thing I can think of is that he was protecting the clones themselves from the shock of discoving they were an illegal science project. But now that so many of them are self-aware, that seems like exposing the conspiracy is something they could do themselves.

I agree that whole thing is odd.  Maybe they did try to expose the project, but something happened.  They decided to burn down the lab instead, and then Leekie killed Susan in retaliation and somehow Ethan Duncan escaped and was hidden by the bird watchers.  I don't know if that makes sense timing-wise.  Do we know when the lab burned down?  

Even if that's right, now it's been 30 years, so why not expose it already?  Dyad is just too powerful?  Do Mrs. S., Ethan Duncan, et al. have a plan, or are they just in hiding?

One of the reasons I find Orphan Black so good and thought Lost was utter shit is because OB has a direction which makes sense.

Not that I'm anything great, but I recall when people were going on and on about Lost and I remember saying, 'you do realize they're making this all up right? It's never going all add up.' 'No no no no, the numbers and maxwell's equations!"  I mean, I watched the show and had fun with it, but I didn't worry about the details of anything. 

You look at just the handful of episodes here with OB and there is clear direction and focus. I think Art is kind of the show bible. Just looking at him alone, he's got all the pieces laid out. I feel like I'm being rewarded for paying close attention to the show. That's all I really want. 

• Love 2

Ah, so we’re back to “Aldous Leekie is evil”. Aren't we??

LOL, CleoCaesar, you have totally cloned Matt Frewer's voice there.

Bama, I too am wondering if that is really the case. Maybe a hot, young Leekie (IDK, was Matt Frewer ever hot?) was in a situation similar to Paul's position with Rachel now (pun intended).

Helena's “I’m very good with children” did give me pause, but then I recalled how willingly Kira went with her and decided that although the line was comical to us, Helena was being genuine.

Helena is made of awwwwwesome sugar sugar sauce. Sauce that makes her fart, lol.

Like shapeshifter, I also believe she's good with kids because we've seen Kira's reaction to her. It's also interesting that Helena can't carry a tune at all, while Alison's singing is at least passable.

Maybe I missed it, but why doesn't the Dyad want both Sarah and Helena?

I'm not sure they've laid it out explicitly (this show is so dense I often miss stuff and don't realize it until rewatch) but my take has been that 1) they're the unexpected twins 2) they're the clones who have been unmonitored and 3) they now know at least one of them can have kids (and since twins perhaps the other as well) which is unique amongst the clones.  Imagine the clones at large as some animal other than human.  One of your embryos split into twins and then both of those animals were smuggled out of the lab.  Now they turn back up and that's a great opportunity to study them almost as a control group compared to your other clones (who have been monitored and sampled and whatever from day one).  But surprise, these twins also have physical differences from your other clones that you didn't expect. 

One thing I keep thinking about... what happened to the monitors of the clones who are already dead at the start of the series (or soon into it like the German).  I'm thinking specifically of the clones Helena killed... did she kill their monitors, too or are one or two of them still out there somewhere?

OB continues to blow my mind and I thank everyone involved for doing so. And I thank everyone here for posting your insightful thoughts, spec, observations, etc. (hugs) I find I have to watch an ep twice to pick up on stuff I may have missed the first time that you guys have already posted about. 

It's funny how much Helena annoyed me at times in S1 when in S2 she has me completely on her side. I so wanted her to get some lurve from Cute Guy in Bar! And I will never hear the Archies' Sugar Sugar the same way again after her singing, lol. More Sarah/Helena road trips please! HATE that Helena's headed back to that creepy ass ranch, I hope she recovers her babies and burns that place to the ground. 

Vik STILL annoys me especially now that he's working with that nosy bitch Angie. I can only hope that Alison finds out and uses scissors, a glue gun, hell, maybe even both, to take care of them both since she's been tasked with making what was it placemats? for family day. And Art and Felix are my new buddy-ship. :-)

Ok, Duncan seemed to be not "all there" when he was talking to Sarah, but I got creeped the fuck out when he specified that they wanted to create little girls. Dude. Why girls, specifically?

Maybe I missed it, but why doesn't the Dyad want both Sarah and Helena?

We know Leekie has been looking for Helena. I think Rachel even referred to her as his White Whale in an earlier episode.

I'm not sure I entirely buy that Leekie was the one who burned down that lab.  Everything we've seen from him thus far would indicate that it's not really his style.  Plus, if he just wanted to get rid of the Duncans, I'm fairly certain DYAD would have several more elegant solutions (especially since they'd been essentially off the grid for over a decade at that point).  I could see it being that some other group burned down the lab, Duncan got away somehow, and he assumed that Leekie was behind it, because of their prior disagreements.  Then again, maybe Leekie is just better at playing the long con than I give him credit for.

Well, Leekie did have that suuuuper hot Asian doctor kill Olivier in the hospital. Perhaps, he decided to take a more subtle approach to his killings after the fire :)

And I'm scared for his life! And Delphine's too. I think Leekie being Eveeel makes me worry about the safety of anyone that works closely with him.

I know, right? Any character who steps foot in DYAD is in the death pool as far as I'm concerned. Which. . .  makes me panic because I like all those characters.

Maybe Scott was Cosima's monitor before Delphine.

Scott being a monitor might break my heart. Take it back!

Scott being a monitor might break my heart. Take it back!

I know -- I like him too.  Probably he's just a sweet dork.

OK, so I was wondering why Leekie knew it wasn't Beth back in season 1 after the medical exam but didn't know it was Sarah and thought it must be the murdering clone.  It's because Sarah and Helena have the same bar code, because they were bar coded before they became twins.  What's weird is you would think all the tests Amelia had would have showed that she was carrying twins.  Maybe they did, but I'm still wondering if Dyad, et al. even knew about Sarah's existence before she showed up as Beth.

What is the nature of Cosima's illness? She's coughing up blood but tonight she mentioned her uterus. 

I think that was in reference to the autopsy Delphine and Cosima did on Jennifer Fitzsimmons. The tumors on her uterine wall were more mature/pronounced than the other tumors in her body and they thought that may have indicated where the illness started.

So, I just rewatched the episode, and I think my favorite thing about Jesse is, during the bar fight, how quickly he went from "oh shit, this girl might actually be psychotic" to "oh man, I better help her fight these dudes."  Also, it's at least a little bit charming that he threw one punch and then hurt his hand.  I think it was smart for the show to have him be kind of gullible and over-earnest, because, a couple weeks ago, I seriously doubted that Helena could ever have a non-creepy romantic interaction, but this totally proved me wrong.

On another note, I don't think I can say enough how much I loved the phone call between Cosima and Sarah.  I was a little annoyed, at first, that their initial conversation about it happened off-screen, but I kind of like the idea that they had a somewhat impersonal discussion where Sarah was worried about herself and Kira (which Cosima totally expected), but then Sarah had to work herself up to saying that she's worried about Cosima, too (which Cosima didn't seem to expect).  I especially loved how Sarah couldn't even be sarcastic when saying that she didn't understand Cosima's science talk.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Ok, Duncan seemed to be not "all there" when he was talking to Sarah, but I got creeped the fuck out when he specified that they wanted to create little girls. Dude. Why girls, specifically?

That was my interpretation/reaction too. I then figured "girls" because they can incubate more clones, whether through methods like the Prolethians, or in the usual way. But then I began to wonder if Kira was not really Cal's kid; maybe she's another clone. But if they were going there, they'd have to at least have characters remarking on how much Kira looks so much like her mother and aunties and have a picture of Sarah as a child that looks exactly like Kira. And a clone Kira would have been spontaneously conceived, unless the Sarah backstory is going to get more complicated with Cal working for DYAD and knowing about Sarah's existence and so on.

Yes, @yellowfred, more sweet Jesse, please, and the phone call between Sarah and Cosima was heartwarming--and, once again, made me forget these are one person playing two.

Edited by shapeshifter

Ok, I need a rewatch obviously because this episode was particularly dense. I'm going to highlight a few issues but first, Tatiana is amazing obviously and I say that very episode but today I wanted to give props to the CG team. In the tent when Helena gave Sarah a can of cola, it moved from one hand to the other seamlessly. They had to get the timing of Tatiana's hand movements just right. And they did. I have no idea how long they took to do that, and that instance was so small and extraneous to the plot and yet they put in the effort to get it right. Amazing.

It was interesting that Mrs. S referred to Dyad as a hydra. So we have all the multiple heads with their own agendas. 

Actually, if I may be so bold, I'd say the Neolutionists are the Hydra in this case with Dyad being SHIELD, if I got your reference. I still need rewatch to get everything but  I did get that Project Leda was a military thing, a proof of concept project. Dyad "bought out" the military and took over, and they were also overtaken by the Neolutionists from the inside. But I get a feeling the Dyad hierarchy goes much higher than Rachel and Leekie. Given the tightness of the plot, I'm sure we'll meet them. But what I didn't get specifically is when in the timeline Cold River lies and when Duncan and his wife started the experiments. My guess is that they had already started, somewhat, and the military co opted them, and gave them legal certainty which evaporated, of course, when Dyad continued the experiments. (So the military must have been aware that the project didn't shut down and must know about the clones, right? I'd be happy for them to explore this angle a couple of seasons down the road). 

The fire brought down the lab and the chief scientist disappeared, using the alias Duncan. But what name did he have when he was working with the military? Surely the Duncan alias was only after the fire. 

I'm not sure I entirely buy that Leekie was the one who burned down that lab.  Everything we've seen from him thus far would indicate that it's not really his style.  Plus, if he just wanted to get rid of the Duncans, I'm fairly certain DYAD would have several more elegant solutions (especially since they'd been essentially off the grid for over a decade at that point).  I could see it being that some other group burned down the lab, Duncan got away somehow, and he assumed that Leekie was behind it, because of their prior disagreements.  Then again, maybe Leekie is just better at playing the long con than I give him credit for.

I'm thinking along similar lines. Duncan thinks Leekie is the evil one, and from his point of view he is. Duncan probably did the experiments for science's sake and Rachel truly became his child, which was way too narrow for someone of Leekie's ilk. But to then essentially move from narrow to non existent, I don't see how Leekie could justify that to himself. The answer to that is that he is playing the long con, like you's said. His interests obviously deviate from Rachel's when it comes to Cosima and ultimately Sarah. We know that Kira has been implied to have powers, especially healing powers, and that Duncan's experiments was about "the girls". So maybe there's a neolutionist agenda in creating, no only clones but ones with superhuman powers. And if Sarah and Helena can have babies (with powers?) no wonder they were hidden as soon as this phase of experiments succeeded. 

I can see the Prolethians causing the fire and Leekie unknowingly taking the blame for it. And if so, then it could be someone within the Prolitheans with access to or in the military or their ethics committee, maybe even a disillusioned Dyad scientists. I do believe the original genome was destroyed, story wise it makes sense that the clones played by Tatiana are the only successful result of the endeavour and that that technology, and knowhow got lost and therefore no other clones exist that look different. I still don't know how Mrs S truly figures in all of this. I believe she's a either scientist or an operative who got orders to protect the Sarah aspects of the experiments. 

It was interesting that Mrs. S referred to Dyad as a hydra. So we have all the multiple heads with their own agendas.
Actually, if I may be so bold, I'd say the Neolutionists are the Hydra in this case with Dyad being SHIELD, if I got your reference.

I'm pretty sure that Mrs. S was referring to the old school mythological hydra (each time you cut off on of its heads, two grow back in its place), not the Hydra organization on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D./in the Marvel universe.

• Love 4

When did girls become creepy?  Are boys somehow the less creepy gender? 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretty sure that Mrs. S was referring to the old school mythological hydra (each time you cut off on of its heads, two grow back in its place), not the Hydra organization on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D./in the Marvel universe.

Yes, but depending upon the backgrounds of the writers and when this script was written/shot, it's possible they were also going for a pop culture double entendre--at least that's what crossed my mind while watching: Classical myth Hydra, Marvel Hydra, or both?

When did girls become creepy? Are boys somehow the less creepy gender?

"Little boys" would've been creepy too, but it happened to be "little girls." Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think that if she meant Hydra, she would have left out the article. Saying that Dyad is "a hydra" (not simply Hydra) seems to indicate to me that she was referring to the common noun version, not the proper noun version. Orphan Black tends to avoid a lot of pop culture references unlike, say, Psych. I think avoiding too much pop culture is another way the show endeavors to seem more timeless/less specific in the way that Toronto is supposed to be Any City. When they do use pop culture, it's usually older references like Felix mentioning Cats or Helena singing The Archies. Instead of current pop culture, the show tends to lean more towards references to mythology (the story of Leda the swan, for example) so I'm still leaning towards Mrs. S talking about they mythological hydra. I could be wrong though!

Duncan seemed to be not "all there" when he was talking to Sarah

He's definitely got some sort of mental issue. I mean, for starters his house is a hoarder nightmare, which is a huge tip off that he's not well. I wonder if it's just regular old dementia from old age (Art and Felix confirmed that he was about 70) or if it's a side effect from some crazy chemical he used/was exposed to at Cold River.

Helena never explained how she knew about Cold River or how she knew which church was in the photograph. Did she torture Maggie to get information from her? Did Tomas tell her? I find it difficult to imagine Helena doing too much of her own research. I don't think she could sit still long enough to go through hours of microfiche.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

"Little boys" would've been creepy too, but it happened to be "little girls."

Ooooh.  I thought the comment was in reference to something more specific than just the general creepiness of clones and monitoring. 

• Love 1

I think it means they want to start a clone factory of sorts - they need the girls to carry more clone babies. Although it also could be a female-dominated society they are building, one without the need for men.

• Love 1

It could be that whatever genetic information that they're after is only in an X chromosome. Cloning boys would leave them with a whole Y chromosome they don't need.

(edited)

When did girls become creepy?  Are boys somehow the less creepy gender? 

Hee. I didn't mean to suggest that little girls were creepy, in general. What I found creepy was the idea that a bunch of scientists seemed to decide that little girls should be cloned instead of little boys. I think it'd be creepy either way, but the idea that they wanted to create little girls who could conceivably grown into women who could potentially be turned into DYAD's own personal clone incubators wigs me out. Also, a seemingly mentally and emotionally unstable old man in a hoarder house with bird shit on his coat said the words "little girls" was creepy in and of itself. ;)

Again, this is all still making me wonder why S brought Felix when she fled because she was involved in a world of fucked up shit and as far as we know, Felix is just a regular guy with no link to LEDA or DYAD. I reaaallllyy want to know. Do we even know how long Felix was with S before she got Sarah? Did he get placed there after Sarah? The foster system doesn't typically place 2 children who don't know each other in a home at the same time does it? 

Helena never explained how she knew about Cold River or how she knew which church was in the photograph. Did she torture Maggie to get information from her? Did Tomas tell her? I find it difficult to imagine Helena doing too much of her own research. I don't think she could sit still long enough to go through hours of microfiche.

My best guess would be that Maggie knew about it and told Helena. I think they said Maggie was letting Helena stay in that storage unit and that was where they would meet up and shared info, so I don't think Helena would've hurt or tortured Maggie because they were working together. I feel like Maggie's back story may have a bigger part in the story because Helena said "Maggie helped make you" to Sarah during their confrontation in the apartment on S1. I'm pretty sure it was revealed that Maggie had infiltrated DYAD as well. I think in episode 9 when Leekie met Sarah for the first time.

Edited by hardy har
(edited)

I did mean the mythical hydra and assumed Mrs. S did too. She doesn't seem like the type to make pop culture/comic book references. If Dyad is a hydra then there are different factions that cooperate/fight with each other. I'm betting it's not Leekie that started the fire. Why would he destroy the records and research? I'm guessing it was the female doctor. If she loved Rachael she may have had a change of heart on the whole project and destroyed the lab herself. She may have gotten caught in the fire or killed by Leekie during/afterwards. Then he took Rachael and twisted her into what she is today.

I think Cold River was a sanitarium that was doing research on people with birth defects and mental illnesses then moved into genetic research. Dyad came out of that research and got a military contract for funding (Project Leda). When the military pulled the funding over ethical issues Dyad got funding somewhere else and continued onto our clones. 

And little girls are totally creepy. Haven't you ever watched Supernatural?

Edited by theFel

Thinking about the scene in the bar, I think we were being reminded that Helena might have somewhat unnatural strength. For a slight woman, she had little difficulty beating Jesse in a series of arm-wrestling matches. Besting the biker dude could be mostly explained by her having the element of surprise on her side, but I think there may be something to the idea that she has more than just toughness and fearlessness in her bag of tricks.

• Love 1

The comic book Hydra organization takes its name from the mythological one. Their motto IIRC is 'cut off one head, and seven more take its place' or something to that effect, so even a pop culture reference s inadvertently a mythological one.

I assumed that girls were chosen for the ability to incubate, as seen with the Prolethians and Helena. Besides, don't we all start out female, and then male differentiation occurs as the fetus matures? I skipped out a lot in Biology (our Prof wouldn't let us smoke in class), but I seem to remember that.

Anyone else match the drinks Helena was having to her 'Sestras'? I guessed martini for Rachel, two shots for Sarah and Felix, the umbrella drink for Alison, and of course the White Russian being Helena.

• Love 3

I am so disappointed that I don't know a Paul.

I would so break out my Mrs S "Helllooo Paul" every time I saw one, alas, it is just not meant to be..... 

• Love 3

I don't blame Sarah at all for leaving Helena behind. Dyad has clearly infiltrated law enforcement, so for all she knows, she's a wanted criminal. Her first priority right now has to be Kira and Felix, and she can't take the chance. While I think she clearly has developed a connection with Helena, she also knows that she's still unstable and unpredictable and there's only so far she's willing to go to "babysit" her, not to mention that Helena has more than demonstrated her own resourcefulness. She did the most she was really able to do in the situation, which was contact Art to follow up.

• Love 1

Anyone else match the drinks Helena was having to her 'Sestras'? I guessed martini for Rachel, two shots for Sarah and Felix, the umbrella drink for Alison, and of course the White Russian being Helena.

No, I wouldn't have made that connection, so thanks for pointing it out. I did notice that she offered Jesse her "White Russian," and thought it was kind of cute.
  • Love 1

I'm sold on the mythical hydra, thanks guys. About Helena's research and storage, isn't it possible that Tomas oversaw most of that? I am surprised at the speed of Sarah's investigation, I guess all that time as Beth is paying off now. Although, as a con artist, she is probably used to a bit of research.

LOL, CleoCaesar, you have totally cloned Matt Frewer's voice there.

Bama, I too am wondering if that is really the case. Maybe a hot, young Leekie (IDK, was Matt Frewer ever hot?) .........

Well, I did not know Matt Frewer when he was young, but if you look at some early photos, you might say "hot": Matt Frewer 1 , Matt Frewer 2

I'm guessing Vic isn't going to be onboard with the spying when he finds out what Alison did to the last person that she thought was spying on her. She's crazier than Sarah. She's got some nice chemistry with Vic. 

I'm guessing the stems cells are from a relative of the original. Since they don't have Kira. It would be interesting to meet them. I suppose another clone could've had a kid but I think Sarah and Helena are meant to be special. 

I want Scott to meet Rachel while Sarah is visiting, so we can get a scientist that is not involved in the conspiracy reaction. 

My God, Tatiana Maslany just keeps blowing my mind. She needs all the awards. Never have I ever seen a show where I forget the same actress is playing all the characters. 

Not that I'm anything great, but I recall when people were going on and on about Lost and I remember saying, 'you do realize they're making this all up right? It's never going all add up.' 'No no no no, the numbers and maxwell's equations!"  I mean, I watched the show and had fun with it, but I didn't worry about the details of anything. 

You look at just the handful of episodes here with OB and there is clear direction and focus. I think Art is kind of the show bible. Just looking at him alone, he's got all the pieces laid out. I feel like I'm being rewarded for paying close attention to the show. That's all I really want.

The thing is, until this week's episode, this season had been scaring me in the Lost sense. The Cal stuff felt pretty shoehorned in, they were falling back to dramatic cliches like the car t-boning that didn't make much sense, and it felt like they'd lost hold of the mythology for a while. This week episode's been the first since the s2 premiere that felt up to S1 quality to me. Fingers crossed they aren't just winging it.

He's definitely got some sort of mental issue. I mean, for starters his house is a hoarder nightmare, which is a huge tip off that he's not well. I wonder if it's just regular old dementia from old age (Art and Felix confirmed that he was about 70) or if it's a side effect from some crazy chemical he used/was exposed to at Cold River.

Speaking as someone who's taking care of a dementia sufferer, I definitely spotted early signs of the disease. Sarah's lucky she found him when she did. In a few months, communicating with him would be... difficult, to say the least.
  • Love 1

I didn't catch on to the drinks for the seestras. That's pretty good. I did notice Helena weaving the others' stories into her story.

I wouldn't say Mrs. S is totally out of touch with pop culture given her Pussy Riot sweatshirt. Maybe there's an anarchist's outlet where she shops.

I am wondering why Felix given Mrs. S knew Sarah's origin. Was he cover? Is he more connected?

I'm also wondering about Mrs. S's underground activities while raising Sarah and Felix, and again while sole caretaker for Kira. How much visiting Duncan, e.g. could she do?

• Love 1

I wouldn't say Mrs. S is totally out of touch with pop culture given her Pussy Riot sweatshirt.

Heh.  Because I'm a serious dork I can't help but wonder if Mrs. S has ever seen the Commitments. 

I'm betting it's not Leekie that started the fire. Why would he destroy the records and research?

He could have taken the information for himself (and associates) and started the fire to cover that it was missing.

• Love 1
(edited)

So, I had this ep on as background noise while I was cleaning and wound up sitting down and watching the whole damn thing again. Ok......perhaps it's just because this show makes me extremely paranoid, but during that scene where Alison asks Vic to help make place settings for family day she is clearing her throat. Is she getting sick? She does it twice walking down the hallway and they're kind of minor, but she does a more pronounced one when she's walking away.

Oh, and I didn't notice it before, but I kind of love that Mrs S referred to the other clones as Sarah's sisters.

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 1
(edited)

Do we know Art's sexual orientation because he & Felix would be great together

Art has an ex-wife and kids.

Edited by maraleia
changed term to sexual orientation per standards of correct terminology

Heh.  Because I'm a serious dork I can't help but wonder if Mrs. S has ever seen the Commitments. 

But if the Commitments exists in the show, that would mean that Maria Doyle Kennedy exists in the show history! Is Mrs S a clone herself (of Maria Doyle Kennedy!), or is she playing herself having gone undercover for the last 20 years?

I wonder about the genetic test coming up as a female relative on the order of a niece or aunt. Since Sarah and Cosima are genetically identical (except for their ID markers), Kira compared to Cosima (or any of the clones) would show as mother/daughter. Can tests like that distinguish between aunt/niece/cousin and mother/daughter? Or just show a family relation?

Apparently I missed the bit where Scott said "...or even a daughter". DERP.

I may have missed something. Is Cosima now local to Sarah? I thought she was in MN and Sarah was in NYC (despite the Canadian money, street signs, license plates, architecture, ahem)

Cosima is in the same place as Sarah, Alison, Rachel, and Helena. DYAD is located in Anywhere, North America, which looks an awful lot like Toronto. We've never seen Sarah in NYC. In the first episode of the series, we hear the station announcer say when the next train to NYC will be leaving.

Cosima went to school in MN (grad student or phd candidate, I forget which) but has relocated to "We Swear It's not Canukistan" in "This Might Kind of Not Be the U.S." with the rest of the clones.  It was for the job I think although not much fuss about her relocation was made so maybe she commutes back to MN once in a blue moon (not much time has passed on the show this season so it's hard to say if she'd have time). 

Regarding Cosima's school stuff, I was under the impression that she's an ABD right now.  She mentioned in the first season that she had a dissertation proposal that she had either defended or was in the process of defending, so she might have already finished her coursework and exams.  At that stage, most PhD candidates are pretty free to do their research wherever they want, even though they're still technically students at whatever university they're planning to get the PhD from.  She'll just have to go back and defend her dissertation at some point, assuming she still plans to do that.