Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Andi Meets Some Bohunks

• Start Topic

Okay, I feel like there are a lot of gay men in this group!  Especially in that first limo.  I can already tell that this season is going to irritate the crap out of me, especially Andi.

• Love 1
(edited)

Gads that doctors hair was so bad. He looked like such a total boob. And the whiny one who got the boot? Way to confirm her decision dude! As for the personal trainer, I was physically repulsed by the magnitude of his douchebaggery. Just no.

I was digging Marquel, I dig me a sexy man who likes cookies. Lol honestly I could see Andi with the little golfer dude, something about him suited her. Idk. There's a few hot ones for eye candy.

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 1

Oooo, I just now watched the last few minutes which my recorder had failed to catch.  I see we're not only going to have tearful meltdowns from Andi but also from a half dozen men, plus possible jealous fights. Awesome.  Just when I was thinking, "The Bachelorette," was never as entertaining as "The Bachelor," because women bring the hissy fits.  I wasn't sure the average man would find Andi's type of looks super appealing, not that she isn't great looking, but so many guys like the blonde Emily types.    I was wrong  again-- they seem bowled over by Andi.  Good!  More drama.

• Love 1

I really want them to mix the first episode up a bit and institute a new rule: The First Impressions are Everything Rule.

The Producers are always looking for a twist and I think this one would make it “the most dramatic introductions ever.” This rule (the FIAE Rule?) is basically the opposite of the First Impressions Rose. Instead of guaranteeing your safety you are immediately sent home. If your first meet & greet with the Bachelorette is awful you don’t even make it into the house. You are just turned around and ushered back into your limo.

I would have used it on Dr Jason. “I think you have a fever. Cuz you’re looking pretty hot.” Nope. Turn Around. You don’t even get to enter the house. That was sooooo bad. Cheese Ball.

I discuss it a bit more in my blog post about this episode…not to push it on you guys but I think it's a fun read:

http://mypigeontoedlife.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/twos-bachelorette-edition-andi-meets-men/

• Love 1

After Pantsapreneur (oh just STOP IT, Bachelorette!) guy gave Andi pants, my friend watching with me said: "You know she's wearing those pants at some point. A man gives you pants, you wear them eventually." (Heh)

So, I guess they're Chekhov's pants?

When the doctor was droning on and on about What is it about me that she didn't like? What could I have done differently? was I the only one who was screaming at the TV: It's your hair! You could have gotten a haircut! I mean the guy had a full-on soccer mom styled bob.

Some astute person on Twitter pointed out last night that the guys with the long hair were probably going for the Chris Hemsworth look.  They were unsuccessful.

I thought Emil was pronounced like "eh-meel" not "ay-muhl" ....??

My husband's grandfather was named Emil and he pronounced it exactly the same way the guy did last night, "ay-muhl".

• Love 1

The long haired doctor looked like a 12-year-old. His handsome factor would be upped 100% if he had his hair cut.

Yeah - a 12 year old girl, complete with it tucked behind his ear like my 10 yr old. Have long hair if that's you're thing but it had a very 1960s Patty Lane feel to it. I kept waiting for his identical cousin with the Scottish accent to show up. I squinted and envisioned a more masculine hairstyle and I also saw him 1000x better.

• Love 1

Just a heads up, everyone.  I deleted a post that only existed to complain about PTV and how we do things (which, why you would bother to post such I don't understand), and also a couple posts that responded to it. We don't have a strict "boards on boards" policy like TWoP did, but complaining about the management isn't really productive and is off-topic.

If you have legitimate concerns or complaints you can PM the moderators or management.  Finally, please don't feed the trolls, and report them when you see them.  Thanks for your cooperation.

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't understand her appeal. Every other girl on the bachelor had a better body, most were prettier and almost all were sweeter in disposition.

Andi is far and away my favorite Bachelorette. I think she's way prettier, spunkier and more interesting than all the others who came before her, especially Blandy McPushover Des. I want my Bachelorette to be likeable but I don't much care about a "sweet disposition" so maybe that's why I like her so much. She's fiesty. I don't much care for her conservative bent or interest in guns, but otherwise I'm on board.

Edited by violetr
  • Love 5

I'm also a big Andi fan.  I like the fact that she's already attained one major life goal, becoming a lawyer.  That's pretty significant, as it shows drive, determination and patience.   Ashley was a dental student & continued her studies, as she'll be licensed this summer.  

I like watching Bachelorettes that already have a real life, not just an existance they move through until they find some guy to "complete" them.  I REALLY hate that phrase....*LOL*   

• Love 2

I wonder if the first hook-up this season will be between Patrick and Andrew... they had way more spark between them than Andi did with any of the guys.  I found this show boring and I agree with some of you upthread that the lack of intro packages on the guys made it hard for me to really know who was who and care anything about any of them. The only thing I "cared" about was Dr. Longlocks and Mr. Musclehead being sent packing.  One out of two ain't bad...

I love black and white cookies, so Marquel (is that his name?) would have won my first impression rose. Too bad the cookie he wanted to use to make his point was buried at the bottom of the pile, leaving it smooched and messy-looking.  And it did make me think of Seinfeld too!

I didn't find the guys as a whole to be particularly weird or unusual.  They didn't seem like the brightest bulbs in the gene pool, but then again, one of them was a doctor. They aren't the best looking guys, but I'm OK with that.  They actually seemed sort of "down to earth" which may be a good thing in long run.

It's sad to see Eric and I hope they give him a good edit.  Seems like he made it pretty far.  My little cold heart sort of melted when he was talking about his future goals.

And Andi- you can stop with the "ya'll" now.  We get it, you're a southern gal.  I don't remember you using this word on the Bachelor, and it's already leading me to drink...

• Love 2

When that guy handed Andi a lamp, I thought he was going to say, "For you, because you light up my life."  But maybe that '80s song is too old for him. What I found funny is how concerned Andi was to get that lamp back to the hotel.  Even though she quit her DA job it didn't really quit her, in a sense.  I saw that again in her reaction to Chris Bukowski.  I'm not sure if she knew who he was, but she rejected him because he didn't play by the rules like the other guys did to get on the show. I like her better now, so far, than I did on the Bachelor. 

• Love 1

And Andi- you can stop with the "ya'll" now.  We get it, you're a southern gal.  I don't remember you using this word on the Bachelor, and it's already leading me to drink...

Much worse was when she kept using "Cali" with that one guy.  No one says that.  So, so cringe-worthy.

• Love 4
When that guy handed Andi a lamp, I thought he was going to say, "For you, because you light up my life."

Yep.  The friend I was watching with was yelling it at the TV.  We were both shocked it didn't happen (or at least they didn't show it).

But I kinda liked how it was shown (whether real or edited) with him just randomly giving her a lamp for no particular reason.  Hee!  "Here.  I looked all around my hotel room for a gift to give you, and this was the best I could do."  You know a producer had to be involved in that suggestion.

Much worse was when she kept using "Cali" with that one guy.  No one says that.  So, so cringe-worthy.

Yes, thank you! I had forgotten about that, but I couldn't stand it when she said it. Repeatedly. The only thing worse would have been if she'd thrown in a "Frisco" somewhere.

• Love 2

So, Andi still hasn't done anything about the way the sides of her mouth constantly point downward, even when she's smiling.

I find her hard on the eyes.  It's going to be a loooong season.  And I'm not going to be able to handle it in HiDef.

I also agree that the average rating for these guys, out of 10, is probably closer to 5 than 10.  And I got a gaydar vibe from a lot of them too.

(edited)
So, Andi still hasn't done anything about the way the sides of her mouth constantly point downward, even when she's smiling.

To echo a poster on TWoP (RIP - er, to the site not the poster), I kind of love her Grumpy Cat smile. I've never been into perfect, blonde, cookie-cutter "beauties" like Emily Maynard, so I for one am pleased that they cast a Jewish gal (the first!) who's prone to quirky facial expressions. And now I realize I'm projecting my hopes for changing beauty standards onto the Bachelor franchise, which means I'm in serious need of help. 

Edited by violetr
  • Love 3
(edited)

OK, so WEIRD that that's the actual title of the episode, because while watching, I thought to myself how Andi got some smart, albeit more nerdy guys, NOT like the BOHUNKS that, say, Emily got. Very few of Andi's guys would I call bohunks. Just does NOT fit. Seems to me the casting department was aiming for a more well-educated fellow, because Andi's a lawyer and a professional, as opposed to Emily, the racetrack groupie.

I also was annoyed at the y'alls, which I never heard her say on the Bachelor. I get the feeling production suggested it to her to make her more relatable to the southern viewers, since lawyer is harder for some people to relate to. Since Andi is nothing like Southern Belle Emily, despite being from Georgia.

That one guy Andi thought was hot reminded me of Ryan Gosling.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1

I am absolutely delighted with this. This was the first episode of The Bachelor or Bachelorette I've ever watched though I did watch all that terrible Flavor of Love/Rock of Love/spinoffs stuff back in the day. It's just that all the Grantland podcasts are discussing it and I did enjoy those two seasons of Burning Love so I decided to give it a shot. Oh my gosh, I love it. I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the entire season but this first episode was brilliant. So awkward. So incredibly awkward. Anyone who has met someone online or been set up with a stranger knows the awkward of those initial greetings as the guys got out of the limo. But this was worse because there were cameras around. I feel like I kept noticing how the guys were getting out the things they wanted to say and then basically ran away. I'm sure they were timed but still. I was almost hoping they'd walk backwards a few steps because it just seemed so awkward when they turned away from Andi. And then there was the actual episode. The cookie guy! I can't. That was some Burning Love shit. 

The first rose ceremony was interesting. I feel like she didn't want to seem that shallow because she saved some of the hotter guys (in my opinion, of course) for the middle and the end. I'm surprised lamp guy made it. I thought she might have kept the "anal" pilot instead. 

The "this season on" was so dramatic. All of the feels! Happy, angry, sad. I was like, is someone going to get straight up murdered? This is so dramatic. 

I was also totally faked out when she originally put on the hideous, cheap-looking gold dress instead of the gown she ended up in.

Chris the farmer is adorable!

He's got a bit of McConaughey about him.

Right off the bat, for completely shallow reasons I like Andrew, Eric, and Marcus. Patrick and Dylan are also fairly conventionally attractive but something about the cutaways during the rose ceremony made me a little suspicious of them. Let's just say I can see them having some behavioral issues. Chris, Craig, and JJ seem sweet but they don't seem like real contenders. The rest of them didn't really make an impression and Marquel was a little scary in the "this season on". I liked him at first but it seems like he could be a schemer. That's never fun. 

• Love 1

Welcome to the insanity, @aradia22 !

I feel like she didn't want to seem that shallow because she saved some of the hotter guys (in my opinion, of course) for the middle and the end.

Since you're new you wouldn't know this, but they don't show her giving out the roses in the order they were filmed necessarily.  That's decided later by producers and editors according to whatever "story" they're trying to sell at the moment.  There have been several instances where this is verified by the fact that guys in the background are shown with roses before they have actually been given one on camera.

The "this season on" was so dramatic. All of the feels! Happy, angry, sad. I was like, is someone going to get straight up murdered? This is so dramatic.

Heh.  Yeah, they always try to make it seem like the current season will see the coming of the apocalypse, when in reality it's usually just some guy who gets outed as having a girlfriend back home (oh, the horrror!!!) and so is not there "for the right reasons."

• Love 1

Oh my gosh, I love it. I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the entire season but this first episode was brilliant. 

And it wasn't even a good one by Bachelor(ette) standards!  They screwed us out of 30 minutes and the guys were so civil that they had to pad it with that Chris Bukowski nonsense.  There are several seasons available on Amazon and iTunes; just about any Episode 1 will be well worth the $1.99.  Bachelor season 13 (Jason Mesnick) in particular started off with a classic disaster.

• Love 1

I was more of an Andi fan before the intro episode.  The whole "leaving a good profession" to find true love (especially after emphasizing how much she loved that career) just seemed very odd to me- lawyers fall in love and get married too, sweet pea.  If she'd said "I'm ready to move on with my career, so I'm going to do a 10 episode audition for Court TV", or even "I'm taking a 4 month leave of absence, in hopes of finding love and then going back to the job I love", I'd have a bit more respect for her. 

There seem to be some great guys, but I'm guessing that she kept Cody to up the butch level in the house for a while.  If I was looking to meet the contestants in the wild, I probably wouldn't expect to find a lot of them in a straight bar. 

Well, lawyers do have one of the highest ratio for divorces, so there's that. Maybe she's hoping to go into politics after this....does it look bad politically having appeared on The Bachelorette? So far, it seems a bit meh, but I definitely like her more than I did Juan Pablo in last year's introduction. Actually, I found him so boring/annoying/arrogant that I completely watched very few of the season's episodes. So far, I've made it thru most of this one. (I missed a bit of the beginning). Definitely a step up, in my view.

TMZ posted the letters between Andi and her supervisor when she left to tape The Bachelorette.  If I recall correctly, she actually left ​during the middle of a murder trial. I didn't like her before that, but when I heard that, I'm done with her.  IMO she's looking to be a full-time famewhore and will never live in Georgia again.  She'll try to parlay this into some Nancy Grace-type show on a second-string cable channel, or try to be the "legal" correspondent for Extra or some other Tabloid show.

• Love 1

I don't know anything about an ADA's job, but is it really such a huge deal for one to take a LOA during a murder trial? Doesn't a big city like Atlanta always have several murder trials going on at any given time? And isn't there a large team of ADAs, so one can take over for Andi? And it hasn't been every Bachelorette's goal to have a media career - Ashley went back to dentistry and Desiree is also keeping a low profile.

. I get the feeling production suggested it to her to make her more relatable to the southern viewers, since lawyer is harder for some people to relate to. Since Andi is nothing like Southern Belle Emily, despite being from Georgia.

I could never understand why they kept trying to sell Emily as a southern belle when she's from West Virginia, which fought on the Union side. Scarlet O'Hara would have shot her.

I am intrigued at the idea of Andi looking for a job like Nancy Grace's.  CNN and HLN are based in Atlanta so Andi wouldn't even have to leave her home.

• Love 1

I just don't get why a gay guy would waste his time going on a show like this.  Really, the cameras are going all the time. And it's not Bachelor Pad where musical bedrooms are expected.  Why put yourself through the casting process, the vetting process and all the other crap just to hang out with a bunch of guys that aren't any more attractive or accomplished than what you can find at a local bar?

Besides, I'd imagine more than one of the guys would take great exception to getting propositioned by a guy who really wants a guy.  In that testosterone-heavy environment, it's a good way to get your face smashed in.

Doesn't a big city like Atlanta

Atlanta is actually not that big. I remember expecting it to be bigger when I went to interview there and was shocked by how small it is. After living there for 3 years, I found it smaller. Yes it has suburbs like Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Alpharetta, etc, which people still consider to be Atlanta but they aren't. Denver is still smaller tho.

Topic? Josh M. has crazy eyes.

There's a few handsome faces but I get the sense that Andi's guys aren't as hot as past seasons. I think Andi requested, mistakenly, a bunch of guys who would be gentlemen and treat her right, as a response to not liking macho guys like Juan Pablo. Hence, we have a group of mostly betas mixed in with a few producer choices for future Bachelor.

ABC has clips of 10 of the guys, which definitely should have been included at the start of the show. I feel like you barely know the guys if you only watch the actual episode.

In agreement that Andi's goal is for a Nancy Grace-type show down the line.

I just don't get why a gay guy would waste his time going on a show like this.  Really, the cameras are going all the time.

They don't, at least to my knowlede.  I didn't see any hint that any of the guys were pretending to like women when they didn't.   Each season of the show, there is speculation that some of the men "look"  or "act"  gay, so they must be gay.   Same with other reality shows.   The other website was full of posts about contestants "pinging my gaydar".  I don't get it.  I tend to take anyone word on their own sexual orientation.  If they're competing on a heterosexual dating show, then I will assume that they are straight.  If they are competing on a show as dancers, singers, or cooks, then I assume that their sexual orientation is irrelevant, and if they want to bring it up, it's their choice. 

I've known too many guys who "look and act"  in a way that causes people to assume they're gay when they're straight, and vice-versa, that I don't make assumptions.    

• Love 2