Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

A little saltier than her FN persona as Smiley Sprinkle Princess would lead one to believe.

I wonder if she's still that busy or the TV shows have replaced most of that.  I can't imagine she has time especially with a little at home.

I really wish Molly would stop with the "now I'm going to stir/mix/spoon/roll/add for every action - it's like she's doing cooking on the radio

Ina would say, 'stir' Molly says "now I'm going to stir"

Edited by sheetmoss
spelling
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I really wish Molly would stop with the "now I'm going to stir/mix/spoon/roll/add for every action - it's like she's doing cooking on the radio

All of those blogger types apparently think that everyone who watches or reads is a total moron and has never set foot in a kitchen. I absolutely abhor the websites that have 50 pictures of each step plus another 50 of the finished product from all angles.  We know what a pie looks like, for Pete's sake.  Just give me the damned recipe.

Also makes me nuts with the extreme close up shots of pouring a teaspoon of vanilla into a bowl.  Or dipping a cup of sugar.  This isn't rocket science. Even Ina's show does that.

I like Baked in Vermont - when there are close ups they are teaching a particular skill not filling time.

• Love 7

Ina would sat, 'stir' Molly says "now I'm going to stir"

Ina says, "give it a big stir."

As a long-time Molly blog reader, I also miss the calmer days. She was always enthusiastic about things, but not overly so. And she had a talent for lacing in the occasional profanity. 

• Love 2

One of her recipes today seemed to be a spin on Waldorf salad.  Molly's version had oven-roasted broccoli florets, sliced red onion, halved red grapes, chopped celery and golden raisins, which was tossed with a mayo/vinegar dressing.   The last bit was a sprinkle of sliced almonds.   Nyet.

• Love 2

A friend’s Wisconsin mom’s and grandma’s recipe boxes contained more than one salad with a mayo, sour cream or vinegar and sugar dressing. The one I liked best had peas and bacon with said dressing. What else?

Ah, found it. The full 7  Layer Salad. From the bottom up: iceberg lettuce, frozen peas, diced celery, green pepper, Romano or grated Parmesan cheese, and bacon. Dressing was a cup each mayo and sour cream with 2T sugar and was a layer on top—mixed before serving. Thanks, Molly. Because now I want some. Or, maybe just the peas and bacon.😂

• Love 4

I didn’t use her recipe but her show a few weeks ago made me decide to finally make soup dumplings from scratch, making the aspic from pork skin and ribs rather than using gelatin, for the first time and they turned out fabulous and it was fairly easy. It helps that I live three blocks from a Vietnamese market so the aspic ingredients were cheap and available. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I didn’t use her recipe but her show a few weeks ago made me decide to finally make soup dumplings from scratch, making the aspic from pork skin and ribs rather than using gelatin, for the first time and they turned out fabulous and it was fairly easy. It helps that I live three blocks from a Vietnamese market so the aspic ingredients were cheap and available. 

Living in the boonies in MT I so wish there was any kind of oriental market nearby! First DH (divorced) was Chinese and I learned a lot from his mother. Love the cooking...wish I could find more ingredients.

• Love 1

OMG, WTF happened to Molly ? I really liked her when her show started , now she’s just so smiley and so excited about every little thing to the point of being annoying ! “Oh ya  Oh Ya’” ! Ugh 

Once again FN takes a likable cook and has them act like an over the top flake because they think that normal is boring .

They did this with so many .  Recently I saw Rachael Ray’s show at home and she is actually likable again without the over the top wacko behavior she probably wasncouraged to  display on FN.

It’s too bad that Molly has been forced to change . She literally sounds like she’s in the verge of losing it because she’s so excited about nothing throughout her show ! 

Edited by Dansgreens
  • Love 6

Just watched the latest episode (I think) - Book Club Party.  I love that she made big pork chops for "the girls".  I'm sick of seeing all these tiny plates and itty bitty bites for women.  (The other food looked good, too).  What I didn't like was her cutting the meat off the bone - the best bits are right next to the bone!  I want that, too.  😄 

• Love 3

Just watched an old episode of GMF. Wow ! Molly sure is different ! She was cheerful but not giggling over nothing and didn’t have a stupid, overdone grin on her face throughout the whole episode ! FN ruins another good cook !

Something was very funny in the episode . Molly was making some pastry thing to put hotdogs in over a fire outside . Well, the little pastry thing was wrapped around something and it looked obscene! Lol 

Then she tells everyone to put their wringers in the pastry thing ! Too funny! It looked like one of her friends was smirking a bit ! 

• Love 2
On 12/10/2020 at 2:01 AM, sheetmoss said:

Ina would say, 'stir' Molly says "now I'm going to stir"

Yes!

I had a backlog of “Girl Meets Farm” and I could only watch so many before I had to turn it off.  It’s like she’s explaining cooking to kindergarteners.  I liked her back in the beginning w her cute kitchen (although I wasn’t impressed with her recipes after trying a few)...but her show was good background noise while cleaning or doing stuff around the house.  Unfortunately now she’s a little cringe-y.  😞

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Kelly said:

It’s like she’s explaining cooking to kindergarteners.  

In all fsirness, the whole cooking show genre apparently assumes we are all morons.  Tight in close ups of turning on a faucet, measuring a tablespoon, pouring a liquid into a bowl.  I think we are all perfectly capable of those steps without zooming in until you can count the salt crystals.  It's insulting.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

In all fsirness, the whole cooking show genre apparently assumes we are all morons.  Tight in close ups of turning on a faucet, measuring a tablespoon, pouring a liquid into a bowl.  I think we are all perfectly capable of those steps without zooming in until you can count the salt crystals.  It's insulting.

I pretty much agree with your viewpoint. but isn't it interesting the much-maligned Rachel Ray  doesn't talk/dumb down to her audience

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I pretty much agree with your viewpoint. but isn't it interesting the much-maligned Rachel Ray  doesn't talk/dumb down to her audience

That is definitely a YMMV. I find her to be one of the worst, not to mention that she constantly repeats things in the same episode.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I was happy when she had a new show but I watched it a few times and felt uncomfortable.  She seemed to always be banging things around. It made me nervous. I stopped when she showed how to make popcorn in the microwave using a paper bag. She was very rude, like if you did not get the concept you were to dumb to live. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I was happy when she had a new show but I watched it a few times and felt uncomfortable.  She seemed to always be banging things around. It made me nervous. I stopped when she showed how to make popcorn in the microwave using a paper bag. She was very rude, like if you did not get the concept you were to dumb to live. 

I'd like to see RR do a show like Ina's or Molly's  where she's not trying to make a whole meal in 30 minutes

• Love 2
On 2/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, biakbiak said:

not to mention that she constantly repeats things in the same episode.

LOL! I watched some of the at home shows but had to stop. Repeating, scattered, I’d say condescending, but I think Rachel herself thinks some of the obvious stuff is news. Her food looks a hot mess and her interview style is reading questions on cards while guests are talking. You know meal prep, Rach? Interview prep is good, too.

• Love 1

One thing I really appreciate about Molly is how much she amplifies Jewish holidays and food, the fact that a FN show has an episode dedicated to Purim is important representation. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 11

I haven’t made any of her recipes yet but I think she’s adorable and seems sweet. However. That constant smiling and over explaining has made me stop watching. I’d remarked on the Pioneer Woman’s site that she was so much more relaxed and calm and relatable since her daughter, Alex, has been filming her. I think Ree’s production team made her fake and nervous. I really do hope they don’t come back!

r

• Love 2

Molly, I like you but don’t go giving credit for Frangi’s to Marshall Fields! They were created in Seattle by an employee and Fredrick & Nelson’s before they were bought by Marshall Fields. Fun fact they were originally called Franco’s (Fredrick & Nelson Company) but since they were created in 1918 the name soon became associated with Franco and the Spanish Civil War so they changed the C to a G. 

• Useful 4

Been with Molly since the old blog days, own her first book. Here's what I can live without, besides ultra-smiley Molly: Those wacky stop-action shots in which the toy truck eats the plate of goodies. But I recognized the truck and its desire to chomp on everything in sight from playing with my six-year-old nephew who loves his (identical) truck and tells me about its adventures nonstop (I think it's either a TV cartoon or a video game). Saw other toys doing the same shtick in yesterday's episode. Who the hell is the audience for that?

• Love 3

Just caught the Purim show. She was unbearably enthusiastic until the end when she and her husband were eating. OMG. They both acted like they were on some strong drugs. It really was unbearable to watch. Someone needs to square this show away before it gets cancelled.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I mean, I don't know what to tell you guys but GMF is consistently in the top 5 and is highly rated, so people watch and enjoy it enough to come back every week, her grins notwithstanding. The little toys and her scenes with Nick are so short that I can't imagine why it bothers people so much. But, hey to each their own and of course no one owes me an explanation! But she's filming season 8 right now, it's not going anywhere. I enjoy the things she cooks and the stop motion and Nick stuff is just a blip to me. 

• Love 6
On 3/3/2021 at 2:37 PM, mishy said:

I mean, I don't know what to tell you guys but GMF is consistently in the top 5 and is highly rated, so people watch and enjoy it enough to come back every week, her grins notwithstanding. The little toys and her scenes with Nick are so short that I can't imagine why it bothers people so much. But, hey to each their own and of course no one owes me an explanation! But she's filming season 8 right now, it's not going anywhere. I enjoy the things she cooks and the stop motion and Nick stuff is just a blip to me. 

Yeah, maybe it's because I didn't see the earliest episodes where she was supposedly more calm, but I don't find her or the show's production objectionable at all. It glides by smoothly and pleasantly for me. I find the little stop motion things to be a fun little quirk of this particular show and not that distracting.

"Fun Italian Feast" - Did anyone else catch Molly's mistake while giving out the ingredients/measurements for her chocolate cake?  She gave the amount of flour, sugar, cocoa, and then she said "3/4 cups of baking powder" instead of teaspoon/tablespoon. Also, the camera showed her using a spoon measure for the BP, not a cup. Hopefully anyone attempting this recipe will realize that error and not end up with a cake inflated like a balloon and tasting like crap.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, patty1h said:

"Fun Italian Feast" - Did anyone else catch Molly's mistake while giving out the ingredients/measurements for her chocolate cake?  She gave the amount of flour, sugar, cocoa, and then she said "3/4 cups of baking powder" instead of teaspoon/tablespoon. Also, the camera showed her using a spoon measure for the BP, not a cup. Hopefully anyone attempting this recipe will realize that error and not end up with a cake inflated like a balloon and tasting like crap.

That’s funny! I would *hope* people just go to the website and download the recipe and not write down the recipe as she talks!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I really don’t like salads that are arranged like she did with the antipasto salad because to get at the greens you have to destroy it anyway! If you want people to pick and choose what they want than put the ingredients on a different plate! 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Does anyone else notice that Molly has acquired a Kardashian/Valley Girl twang?  It slips into her conversation every now and again. 

Not really. Previously she has been accused of faking a midwestern accent even though she was raised in the burbs of Chicagoland as midwestern as you can get. 

I am always crazy intrigued about her husband and his family and farm. I mean they met at Juilliard so they probably didn’t think he was going to come back and  farm sugar beets! Even if on scholarship that is an expensive musical education to come back to farm. 
No shame about either life path just curious how their lives would have worked out if her blog didn’t get popular.....

I find them both charming.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Molly is getting some attention on social media after someone posted a video of her making her 'popcorn salad'.  The VICE website article uses the word "monstrosity" but also explains this is a common dish in the mid-west.  I saw some other postings where people were asking how this salad qualifies as food, that it's a gross waste of popcorn, and others saying they've seen/eaten worse.   

The commenters at Dlisted go in harder with their opinions on the worthiness of the salad.   One memorable quote from Twitter is "I wish a b**** would bring that s*** out".

Edited by patty1h
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, patty1h said:

but also explains this is a common dish in the mid-west. 

I've lived in the midwest for much of my life and...hmm. I remember when she first made it.  I had never heard of it. That's not to say we don't have some funky "salads" in the midwest but this was not one I knew. 

• Love 3

Someone on a Facebook cooking group I am in decided to make it when it went viral and said they found it surprisingly tasty. I don’t like popcorn so I will most definitely not be giving it a shot. 

• Love 1

I have seen that (or a variation on) that recipe in church ladies cookbooks. I am not sure you'd call it a "Midwest" thing but more regional kind of like pasties are unique to the UP of Michigan.

• Love 1
On 4/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, patty1h said:

Molly is getting some attention on social media after someone posted a video of her making her 'popcorn salad'.  The VICE website article uses the word "monstrosity" but also explains this is a common dish in the mid-west.  I saw some other postings where people were asking how this salad qualifies as food, that it's a gross waste of popcorn, and others saying they've seen/eaten worse.   

The commenters at Dlisted go in harder with their opinions on the worthiness of the salad.   One memorable quote from Twitter is "I wish a b**** would bring that s*** out".

CNN  is broadcasting squeamish noises.

"I didn't live through a global pandemic to be met with popcorn salad on the other side." -- Amen Sister!

Washington Post isn't exactly positive.

Buzzfeed has regrets.

It looks like GAK to me, but I'm a Left Coaster.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Ran into some reruns of the early shows this morning from season one.  She was much more subdued, not so over the top frenetic.  And none of the goofy, cutesy gimmits that FN inserts.  Quite nice to watch.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Ran into some reruns of the early shows this morning from season one.  She was much more subdued, not so over the top frenetic.  And none of the goofy, cutesy gimmits that FN inserts.  Quite nice to watch.

I suspect that as her popularity and $$$$ catapulted Molly into "star" status, the production team was beefed up with the gimmicks to make the show "cuter."

Also bet her on-air "personality" was "managed" by the "powers that be" to reflect that same "cutesy" vibe that they believe the viewers want to see.

I enjoy the show, the recipes and the whole family dynamic.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2021 at 8:30 AM, Cetacean said:

I've noticed that she's toned down the crazy wide-eyed look when tasting everything. FWIW, I still really like this show, and I like Molly.

• Love 2

I was watching todays Mothers Day episode and I found myself rewinding back 3 times to see if I was hearing right.   Molly was making some sandwiches and she described that they were "dainty AF".   I don't know why I am surprised that TFN let this slang fly, but it's 2021, so I guess the times are a'changing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, patty1h said:

I was watching todays Mothers Day episode and I found myself rewinding back 3 times to see if I was hearing right.   Molly was making some sandwiches and she described that they were "dainty AF".   I don't know why I am surprised that TFN let this slang fly, but it's 2021, so I guess the times are a'changing.

I had it on but wasn't really paying attention, so unfortunately, I missed it. It might seem odd to say, but it somehow fits in with Molly's general chipper demeanor to say something like that XD.

I suppose it is surprising that FN let it pass, but in a way I guess it's no different from saying "frick". It's clear what it means, but because it's a euphemism, it's therefore ok.

In my part of town, AF means "as f*ck" but I guess in other areas, there are folks who take it as the less vulgar "as frick".   After I heard Molly say this, I was thinking of the older viewers who aren't familiar with this slang and ask their young family member to translate the term, and being told that Molly thinks her sandwiches are dainty as f*ck.    

• Love 3
1 hour ago, patty1h said:

In my part of town, AF means "as f*ck" but I guess in other areas, there are folks who take it as the less vulgar "as frick".   After I heard Molly say this, I was thinking of the older viewers who aren't familiar with this slang and ask their young family member to translate the term, and being told that Molly thinks her sandwiches are dainty as f*ck.    

Yes, of course "AF" means "as f*ck", but what I was saying is that "frick" also means "f*ck". So they are both ways of getting around saying the F word and therefore acceptable on daytime TV (to the Standards & Practices folks, anyway).