Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I think she is co-hosting with Sunny Anderson who has been conspicuously absent lately from The Kitchen. 

Looking forward to the remodel and seeing the new baby! 

I agree with you!  I have the new show selected to record on my DVR.

I certainly hope that Sunny A.'s absence from The Kitchen wasn't because of illness. 

Perhaps she had some cosmetic procedures done or maybe had some other lifestyle regimens she engaged in of a more positive nature!  

I'll be interested to see what kind of stove Molly gets in her new kitchen. I was looking at stoves online and was hard pressed to find an electric coil cooktop. Most of the electric cooktops were glass/smooth top. When Julia Child was doing The French Chef, the stove in the studio was a coil electric. But Julia preferred gas. It's what she had in her home kitchen. In her book My Life in France, Julia complained when Paul was moved to a new post and the housing came with an electric cooktop. 😄

19 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I love the fact that Molly cooks on a stove just like mine, with the old fashioned electric "coil" burners.

On Molly's Instagram she says the "original kitchen remains untouched and I'm continuing to use it for girl meets farm" so the stove is staying but the addition is where the family is going to be so they can have a separate space from the show. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Just caught up on the last couple of DVR'd episodes and it looks like Molly had a cold or something in those.  She was late in her pregnancy and was a bit hoarse. 

She was much less manic, very much a toned down version of her usual over-bubbly self. While I would never wish her ill, it was kind of refreshing to see her more subdued.

• Love 2

just popping in to see what's the chatter about... I am from the Midwest and miss some of the recipe's you would see at potlucks. No shame in liking good old fashioned meat, pasta and potatoes and mayo in potato salad. That salad with the grapes, is a no for me.. put the grapes on the side.

The pickle-pizza was a miss for me. My mom did canned pickles, so I guess that is a salute to the late summer/fall cucumber crops.

I do like that Molly brings in her additional heritages  in her cooks. I just watched the Purim episode, which gave me an idea for stuff cheese crust. I think food network needed that. I'm guessing some of her "silly-cutesy-funniness sprinkle-mania" is a way of FN to bring in a younger audience - esp. since the pandemic shutdown - more people cooking at home and less take out,

I see this current season seem to get just about every day of her pregnancy. and I guess it effected her sinus - or many she just couldn't take anything to clear it up

I do wonder now with a family of 4 and being what appears to be a good size farm , is she going to transition into cooking for a larger, heartier crowd - ie newer version of Pioneer women. I miss a few episodes each season (roll off dvr) but I can't recall what all crops they grow, which  I'm guessing was their main income. 

What side products does she peddle? I'm sure the network has something they insist being sold at walmart..

Edited by sATL
12 minutes ago, sATL said:

What side products does she peddle? I'm sure the network has something they insist being sold at walmart..

As far as I know, she only sells cookbooks. I've never seen anything else advertized anywhere.

I know her husband grows both navy beans and sugar beets.  Not sure what else.

She's quite a talented musician, both she and her husband went to Julliard.  That's where they met.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I know her husband grows both navy beans and sugar beets.  Not sure what else.

I recall in a past season her using wheat berries and saying it was a thing Nick harvested. So I suppose we can add that to the list.

Also for those interested in seeing the renovated house, that episode is airing on the 20th. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mishy said:

I recall in a past season her using wheat berries and saying it was a thing Nick harvested. So I suppose we can add that to the list.

Also for those interested in seeing the renovated house, that episode is airing on the 20th. 

Ok, I'll bite. What was wrong with the house pre-reno ?

I'm guessing it was an existing structure on the property, and the made it modern, for them, when they moved in from NYC, prior to the show. I can't recall seeing other parts of the house. Some of family meals looks like a long table in a covered building.

12 hours ago, sATL said:

Ok, I'll bite. What was wrong with the house pre-reno ?

I'm guessing it was an existing structure on the property, and the made it modern, for them, when they moved in from NYC, prior to the show. I can't recall seeing other parts of the house. Some of family meals looks like a long table in a covered building

They live in the house that was his grandmother or great grandmother's (one of them), they didn't renovate it when they moved in. Molly mentioned that it was hard to live in the house and also film since they didn't have a space that was just for their growing family. According to her post they started by taking off the garage when Bernie was a baby and "two years and three moves later" the house is done. The original kitchen that she uses on the show is still there and she will still film in it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m watching her do a home renovation. She has just put in one heck of a pizza oven on one of her porches and is also considering sprinkle tiles for her daughter’s bathroom. The house looks a lot bigger. 

Why would you need more than 1300  square feet 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms for two kids ?  It’s more like they want , not need another whole house attached to their home ! 

In this episode Molly was full on sappy and annoying as can  be ! I just realized that  she drags her words out like a Kardashian ! Her over  the top silly , giddy and childish personality and goofy smile  made this episode almost as unwatchable as Molly hosting the baking championship!

Her sprinkle obsession is so bizarre and childish too ! A whole wall for a sprinkle   cabinet ?

WTF happened to her ? She is so super annoying now ! 
She seems to have a very childish personality in general .  Her comment a coupe of weeks ago that she and her sister tell fart jokes also shows a childish weird personality!

Does FN have to encourage the female cooks into over the top irritating personalities ? 

• Love 3

I liked the episode and think their new house looks amazing. 

No one needs a house that big, however it's a lot easier to build all at once if you have the money.  As I see it, they live in it every day, they make a good living so go for it, Have fun, and make it what you want.  😄

Frankly, I'm totally jealous, especially of the back patio and the pizza oven.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

I liked the house and the episode except for the fact that Molly is now a cartoon version of herself !

She said they ran out of room ? Hardly ! 

24 minutes ago, orangekit said:

Why would you need more than 1300  square feet 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms for two kids ?  It’s more like they want , not need another whole house attached to their home ! 

In this episode Molly was full on sappy and annoying as can  be ! I just realized that  she drags her words out like a Kardashian ! Her over  the top silly , giddy and childish personality and goofy smile  made this episode almost as unwatchable as Molly hosting the baking championship!

Her sprinkle obsession is so bizarre and childish too ! A whole wall for a sprinkle   cabinet ?

WTF happened to her ? She is so super annoying now ! 
She seems to have a very childish personality in general .  Her comment a coupe of weeks ago that she and her sister tell fart jokes also shows a childish weird personality!

Does FN have to encourage the female cooks into over the top irritating personalities ? 

OMG she does have a Kardashian way of speaking !

FN has ruined another likable female host! She was so nice and real , just like Rachael Ray was at first . Now she’s silly , sappy and comes off fake!

She is becoming unwatchable!

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, orangekit said:

Why would you need more than 1300  square feet 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms for two kids ?

I guess you don't watch too many House Hunters episodes where a childless couple scoffs at a 4000 square foot house saying it's "too small"!  Or the family of four where each kid not only needs his own room but his own bathroom plus a play room and a media room and a bonus room.  It's just bizarre.

I have to wonder how much square footage is used for the production set.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I guess you don't watch too many House Hunters episodes where a childless couple scoffs at a 4000 square foot house saying it's "too small"!  Or the family of four where each kid not only needs his own room but his own bathroom plus a play room and a media room and a bonus room.  It's just bizarre.

I have to wonder how much square footage is used for the production set.

Oh, I do see those shows ! It’s just as ridiculous as Molly goofball saying that they needed another house added onto their home ! 
I don’t blame her for  doing it if she can , but acting like it was necessary to have that much space and give a baby her own bathroom is just as ridiculous as the idiots on House Hunters !

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, orangekit said:

Newer (or remodeled) houses do come larger now. 3 bedroom house are a little hard to sell in certain areas. Depending on how a house is laid out, basement/no basement and/or attached/non attached garage (which follows how many cars), 1300 might just not do it. And if you want some of more modern gadets - like in-wall double ovens, larger showers, double bathroom sinks, island in kitchen, a true office, closet/storage space, a place to hang a 80-inch flat screen,  and all of the bedrooms so not close to each other,  I can see the sqft going larger in a hurry.

And they have the land (which is probably paid for) - most stop building b/c the municipality (or HOA) kinda controls the lot size and perhaps the house size.

I guess I can see them extending their family - ie more offspring on the way. They are young/somewhat newly married and just kinda getting started. Kiddoes have a big farm to play on and eventually learn to work, and they will have each other.. I get the point that there might be a time where siblings don't want to share a room. I truly understand after shutdown how/why immediate family does not want to be in a room with a someone all-of-the-time.

Also - they do - well mainly I guess its Nick - seem to have a large extended family/friends-of-family, so I can see the need for a decent size dining and or family room. Her family is out of town but close enough to visit - so I understand why not have a guest bedroom/bath.

With all that said - I do also get why someone would want to live in an tiny house. Everything you need within 2-3 steps.

So just how large is this new house ? Did they beat out pioneer woman's lodge/house ?

Edited by sATL

I absolutely loved the home renovation. I loved every single thing except… the silly “sprinkles” tile in the girl’s bathroom. Not a fan.

I can’t fault her for a “sprinkles” cabinet. I had a large drawer specially built for all of my seasonings/spices/herbs that I absolutely love! All bottles are in alphabetical order and lay flat so I can see at a glance what I need. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I absolutely loved the home renovation. I loved every single thing except… the silly “sprinkles” tile in the girl’s bathroom. Not a fan.

I'll see the show this evening (DVR'd) but from the comments I'm reading here I think I'd agree with you regarding loving it. 

Also, I'll see if I agree or disagree with the sprinkles tile in the girls bathroom.  The last time I enjoyed "sprinkles" was when I was about 10 on an ice-cream cone.  I definitely wouldn't even consider EATING sprinkles today; however, I do think they have a certaiin whimsical quality to look at in a tile motif.

I believe that Molly signed a very lucrative contract with FN and has worked hard to earn the $$$ she makes.  Any "affect" in her presentation style is probably due to certain expectations placed upon her by the network that she is more than amenable to follow.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Any "affect" in her presentation style is probably due to certain expectations placed upon her by the network that she is more than amenable to follow.

I have to agree.  If you look at all of the FN females, they are all perky with big grins. Even Ina smiles all of the time.  They would never ask that of their male chefs.  Sadly it makes Molly look like a blithering idiot at times;  in the beginning she was much more toned down.

And I bet that's why Gesine Bullock-Prado's show was not renewed;  having read her book I bet she would have told FN to shove it.  I loved her recipes on Baked in Vermont and still use several of them. Her Devil's Cream Cake is a huge favorite on special occasions.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, orangekit said:

I think they adequately explained why when they did a tour of the old house pre-renovation.  It's not just for living but also for filming.  Even Ina has a separate filming space on her property. 

The tour showed how, during filming, not only was the kitchen overrun by filming equipment but other rooms were used for other equipment/props.  They didn't really have a place to sit and eat or extra rooms for storage and kids.  

I don't blame them for wanting an upgraded home or an ensuite. Older homes have a different layout and while some might prefer those enclosed rooms, many others like open living spaces.  I did think their old home looked pretty cramped and I'm pretty jealous of their new living space. I wouldn't want the tile they used for the kids' bathroom but when I read "sprinkles tile' here, I thought it'd be pictures of sprinkles.  Just colorful tiles will last longer than sprinkles would--although I do think it'll eventually look dated. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, orangekit said:

Well let's see 1 bedroom per kid and parents room = 3 and two bathrooms, have you ever been in a house with a sick kids and need multiple toilets? I mean the house is a little grand, but they have the space and the money, so why not?

Also the house is her office, which contains props (that room looked insane before the reno), a film crew popping in and out, and I gather they entertain. I can see wanting a bigger house when it's also where you work.

I mean it's not like Ree Drumond and her MULTIPLE houses.

And she's always been into sprinkles, we joke about her love of sprinkles. Everyone has a quirk.

• Love 7

I may be in the minority but I loved this episode.  I though Molly was WAY more low-key than usual. 

A few years ago I built my dream/retirement home, something that I had been planning for years. I saw a lot of myself in the decision making they had to do. 

I think that they are a lovely couple and her career has allowed them to expand but still honor the grandparents.  And the "sprinkles" tile were really understated, I can't see that they will be a problem in the future. Somehow I pictured large tiles with sprinkles painted on!

PS I loved Bessie - I cooked on that exact stove for 31 years and never had a single issue with it.  So lovely that they kept it!

• Love 6

I liked that they added onto Nick's family home instead of making it a tear-down replaced by a McMansion (this didn't look like one of those). The place suits them. Hey, Molly, you made the right call on the drawer handles LOL! And that pizza oven is extraordinary, albeit in an outdoor setting that looked far more normal than anything I've seen the PB put in.

So I'll go along with tasteful, e.g., the bedroom was lovely, but again, not some huge hotel-like suite. I absolutely bet that Bernie gets tired of those tiles when she's a teen because that's what teens do. And Molly knows it.

Once she went for the pegboard, making spice shelves roll out was a great idea. How she'll reach those top shelves, I'm not sure!

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 3

I found Molly super annoying ! She wasn’t making stupid faces and perky like her cooking show, but her whole delivery and behavior, and childish personality   is cringeworthy.

And her interaction with her uncomfortable husband looks so fake in this episode .  Actually , that is what is annoying about Molly , her overdone sappy , happy persona comes across as very overdone and fake .  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sATL said:

RE: the renvo/building episode - any cooking happen or was it all about the house ?

Not paying 100% attention, but thought she made sub sandwiches for the workers and a sprinkle cake at the end mention was made of her cooking for the builders...may have missed an item for this show, but I think most was about the reno of the house. It was beautiful and if they have the $$ to do what they want...go for it. It will be there for future generations, just as where they were in the beginning, generations later.

Not in any way that I am a Molly fan overall. I liked her when she started but not so much any more...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2022 at 12:55 PM, mishy said:

On Molly's Instagram she says the "original kitchen remains untouched and I'm continuing to use it for girl meets farm" so the stove is staying but the addition is where the family is going to be so they can have a separate space from the show. 

That will be like Pioneer Woman.   She has a separate home I’ve never seen!

10 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

That will be like Pioneer Woman.   She has a separate home I’ve never seen!

I believe the kitchen in which they film is still part of the house, not a separate building.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I believe the kitchen in which they film is still part of the house, not a separate building.

Yes, I think that is true. They added on to give them living space (lovely and luxurious) but kept the original kitchen for filming so it wouldn't be so intrusive in their lives. Can't fault them for that.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

It was longer--an hour, but it's listed as part of this season.  

For some reason it's being shown here in Phoenix NEXT Sunday!! 

There was no show today. 

Don't understand it but accept that it will not be shown here today😄

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

Did this episode have a different title because my DVR didn't record it?

Yes it does have a different title.   It’s not part of her cooking Chanel shows.  I’m wondering if she’s heading in a different direction?

34 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Yes it does have a different title.   It’s not part of her cooking Chanel shows.  I’m wondering if she’s heading in a different direction?

Strange because it wasn't a different title for me or on my DVR.  I don't think she'll leave her cooking show but I wouldn't be surprised to see her turn up in different kinds of shows.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Did not see the show.

Just wondering if she thinks her original kitchen will end up in the Smithsonian.

Don't think she is at that level or will ever be.  I  think they just want to separate their private living quarters from the area that is filmed and used for production.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Just wondering if she thinks her original kitchen will end up in the Smithsonian.

No, don't think she thinks that at all--but kept it to keep the show as is. That way, her new kitchen can be for her family. Makes sense to me.

Besides, no need for two kitchens in the Smithsonian. And the one that is already there inspired Molly to have that pegboard created.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Besides, no need for two kitchens in the Smithsonian. And the one that is already there inspired Molly to have that pegboard created.

Also her new oven was inspired by the one in "Grandma's kitchen"!

LOL, just kidding about the Smithsonian.

But why film in the original when the new is completely different and we know it?

Ree and Ina have other kitchens that are similar or the same to their own.

6 hours ago, maggiemae said:

But why film in the original when the new is completely different and we know it?

She liked the old one (including Bessie the stove), it was the original, and the space is already set up for filming.  You could see in some of the shots that there is large space opposite the stove for the cameras and crew and a room nearby for props.  So why fix what's not broken?  Plus it gives her at least a psychological separation from her work to home life.

9 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I don't think she'll leave her cooking show but I wouldn't be surprised to see her turn up in different kinds of shows.  

I suppose it's possible but now she has two very small children.  I would think leaving them to film for long periods of time would be more difficult.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, cynicat said:

I liked the episode and think their new house looks amazing. 

No one needs a house that big, however it's a lot easier to build all at once if you have the money.  As I see it, they live in it every day, they make a good living so go for it, Have fun, and make it what you want.  😄

Frankly, I'm totally jealous, especially of the back patio and the pizza oven.

I liked the episode as well. The house looks fantastic.  I think its so sweet that they want to keep part of the house as a tribute to his grandma.  It will be for the show and they will have their private living area, makes sense. While their little house might be perfect for  their family. It is not just their  home, she films a cooking show their. Giving the growing family private areas that will not interrupt or bother filming is pretty smart.  I can't imagine filming and having 2 growing children in that house. They might be tiny right now but kids grow and love to run around. And, yes, they can afford it, good for them. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Strange because it wasn't a different title for me or on my DVR.  I don't think she'll leave her cooking show but I wouldn't be surprised to see her turn up in different kinds of shows.  

I’m in the Midwest and we have two different shows for Molly. One is Girl Meets Farm and the second one is Girl Meets Farm:  Our Farmhouse Renovation. 

I had to set them each up to automatically record. 

Hope this helps. 

• Useful 1