Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I had to set them each up to automatically record. 

I persevered and FINALLY FOUND THE SHOW! 

Here in Phx, Cox Cable showed the Home Reno episode ON DEMAND !  That meant I had to sit through 2 banks of commercials that couldn't be FF'd through! 

They must have monetized the episode due to anticipated high customer volume  Seems very tacky to me (my cable bill is HIGH)...however, it was worth it to see the beautiful and functional home emerge!

The design and construction teams did a fabulous job and the artisan woodworking, kitchen and pizza oven  suited the family's tastes and lifestyle to a T!

I thought the "sprinkle" tiles in Bernie's bathroom looked more like confetti that gave a fun, whimsical feel to the room.

It was gratifying to see the fruits of Molly and Nick's considerable labors over many years pay off in such a tasteful, stylish way with innovations that will serve them for years (hopefully, generations) to come)!!

• Love 8
On 2/22/2022 at 1:05 PM, pdlinda said:

I agree with you!  I have the new show selected to record on my DVR.

I certainly hope that Sunny A.'s absence from The Kitchen wasn't because of illness. 

Perhaps she had some cosmetic procedures done or maybe had some other lifestyle regimens she engaged in of a more positive nature!  

Sunny was off filming the Easter Spring Baking Championship.

• Love 1

Finally watched in full. I kinda liked the episode. I guess they didn't have any issue with construction or material delays. It was nice to see moments where Molly was more a grown woman and not so cutesy-cheesy.

I do agree a house built in 1964 wouldn't be laid out the way I would want a house in 2020-2022 for a growing family -its the little and big things like the bigger kids tub. Glad they poured a basement - a must for the midwest not to mention storage.

I do see the New generation of pioneer woman 2.0. any one have any intel on the renvo budget ?

Conceiving a baby in the in-laws house.. wow... I know they are married but whoa...just what is the sqft of that house; all of the bedrooms on top of each other ? 🤣

How does one clean a pizza oven ? 

Edited by sATL

I saw the home reno show, but was distracted so I missed stuff. Was the exterior of the original house completely renovated, too? If so, I'm going to miss it! That house looked exactly like many in my hometown (upper Midwest aka Home of the Pasty).

Surprisingly, the "sprinkles" turned out OK--cute for a girl's bath.

Are they really not capitalizing their baby's name, ira? How come Bernie gets a big B, lol.

Like most of you, I'm over Molly's wide-eyed mugging and sprinkle mania, yet I still like her and watch her show quite often. I'm not much of a cook, so it's just pleasant entertainment for me.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, kikicat said:

Was the exterior of the original house completely renovated, too?

They essentially built a huge addition on the back leaving the old front section pretty much as it was but added a second story to that.  It will be interesting to see when they update the opening scenes.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, Cetacean said:

They essentially built a huge addition on the back leaving the old front section pretty much as it was but added a second story to that.  It will be interesting to see when they update the opening scenes.

Thank you. I'm glad it's still there. I caught a re-run of the episode and paid more attention, but I don't think they showed what the finished exterior looked like. The semi-Colonial (?) addition seemed awkward to me. I will be looking for a new opening.

Edited by kikicat
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I think they are trying to separate living areas from filming areas.

Also a question here, her mom moved to Fargo did dad too? Nothing was said about him moving at all.

I wondered about that too, and did some looking. Her parents are divorced, and her dad is remarried. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I think they are trying to separate living areas from filming areas.

Also a question here, her mom moved to Fargo did dad too? Nothing was said about him moving at all.

hmm - I thought she (mom) too played for the chicago symphony. if so, that's a long commute to fargo.

Molly sounds more and more like a valley girl and Kardashian with her dragged out annoying speech patterns 

Shw also is very over the top goofy and smiley.

Molly is reminding me of how Rachael Ray and Paula Deen both started out likable and real , and  somehow after time on FN they morphed into annoying , goofy cartoon versions of themselves !   

• Love 5

Molly’s mom was not a professional musician (social worker, for the most part).  Her dad remarried and is still with the CSO.

Those egg squares and bagels looked good — I shouldn’t wait for company, though😂

• Love 1

Sorry , but I would just not try to replicate French toast rather than eat they pile of slop that are made with soaked matza ! Disgusting looking ! Just as gross as popcorn salad and cookie salad ! 
Molly makes some good recipes but she has some gross concoctions that look like a preschooler invented them !

Then again her sprinkle obsession and looking forward to fart and burp jokes sure are childish !

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

Sorry , but I would just not try to replicate French toast rather than eat they pile of slop that are made with soaked matza 

I wholeheartedly agree. Especially as she also put fruit in it (basically scrambled eggs on steroids) and the whipped cream on top. I get we may have different palates, but that’s one recipe I won’t be making or tweaking. 
  On second thought she was pretty far along in her pregnancy while filming that segment. Perhaps it was some weird craving. 

• Love 2

I love matzo brei. Seriously crave it, eat it every morning of Passover. And always salted during cooking, topped with strawberry jam or preserves on the plate. It’s savory/sweet! So I was excited that Molly was making it. I may try her method of soaking it in small pieces, instead of breaking into quarters—but that’s it. The compote looked good, maybe on something else. Pass on the cream. Otoh, a simpler version of the matzo bars will be made.

The rerun that followed also featured food for Passover. Appreciate you, Molly—even your take on the traditional.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, buttersister said:

I love matzo brei. Seriously crave it, eat it every morning of Passover. And always salted during cooking, topped with strawberry jam or preserves on the plate. It’s savory/sweet! So I was excited that Molly was making it. I may try her method of soaking it in small pieces, instead of breaking into quarters—but that’s it. The compote looked good, maybe on something else. Pass on the cream. Otoh, a simpler version of the matzo bars will be made.

The rerun that followed also featured food for Passover. Appreciate you, Molly—even your take on the traditional.

I think the recipes in the rerun after were better than the new ones...

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, buttersister said:

We make a pavlova with lemon curd, too.

Now that sounds delicious. Even with just fresh fruit a pavlova can be a wonderful light dessert. 
I wasn’t too keen on that pomegranate filling. I won’t judge until I taste it, but am not about to try making it myself. I’d rather make something I know I like. 

Molly is opening a restaurant in the area where she lives .

Of course she was showing pictures of taste testing donuts with sprinkles! Ugh 

She was also in a segment of the kitchen and said something about cookie salad being her favorite competition when she hosted the baking championship! (,thankfully she’s not hosting next season!)

I used to like Girl Meets Farm, but Molly is now so over the top sappy and goofy ! Her annoying giddy behavior and goofy expressions are cringeworthy!

The sprinkle obsession and talking about looking forward to seeing her sister so the could tell burp and fart jokes is just weird and childish !  She is strange and so I her hubby! 

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, goldenpuppy said:

Molly is opening a restaurant in the area where she lives .

if course she was showing pictures of taste testing donuts with sprinkles! Ugh 

She was also in a segment of the kitchen and said something about cookie salad being her favorite competition when she hosted the baking championship! (,thankfully she’s not hosting next season!)

I used to like Girl Meets Farm, but Molly is now so over the top sappy and goofy ! Her annoying giddy behavior and goofy expressions are cringeworthy!

The sprinkle obsession and talking about looking forward to seeing her sister so the could tell burp and fart jokes is just weird and childish !  She is strange and so I her hubby! 

I have mixed feeling about her opening a restaurant. Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner ? sure it will be nice for the local farmers in the area to have a place to sell their product and it will provide a few jobs.

But then she will be making a profit off of them and its not like she in an area where she can draw a crowd that is not from the area, or is there for another purpose. 

I guess I would like to see the market research on how many people in the area eat out and what price point they are willing to pay. how close is the highway (ie advertise on the exit sign) or next major city? I mean its hard to hire restaurant/service staff everywhere - does she have  remedy for that in her area ?

I know she lived in NYC for a while but does she have the skillset to run a restaurant? Is she really trying to copy-cat Pioneer Woman ?

Edited by sATL
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, sATL said:

I guess I would like to see the market research on how many people in the area eat out and what price point they are willing to pay. how close is the highway (ie advertise on the exit sign) or next major city? I mean its hard to hire restaurant/service staff everywhere - does she have  remedy for that in her area

All good questions.  East Grand Forks is a pretty small town although it's not too far from Grand Fork AFB.  The "major" highway is I 29 but that takes you from Fargo (72 miles away) to Winnepeg (130 miles) so not exactly heavily traveled.  Not sure how this will fly unless it will be limited days and times.  One would hope a business plan was formed before this became public.

I looked at the Wiki page for East Grand Forks. The 2020 census shows a population a little over 9,100 folks, so that is a pretty small town. Wiki says downtown has a 15 screen movie theater and several restaurants. So, people already must be eating out.

Why do people assume that Molly/her business partners haven't done their research about what works in their town? They know more than any poster here about what is and what isn't gong to work in the town they live in. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I remember the special they had a few months back about the remodel of their home. She did keep her original kitchen/set to do her shows from and has a new kitchen she can use for her family meals and home cooking. Why isn’t the new house featured in the show’s opening? 
I remember her having a cabinet made just to hold her sprinkle collection. Even sprinkle looking paint or wallpaper for her daughter’s bathroom (or was it bedroom). So cutesy. Almost too sugary for my taste. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Even sprinkle looking paint or wallpaper for her daughter’s bathroom (or was it bedroom). 

It was tile in the bathtub surround. It really wasn't too bad, it was just an occasional small square colored tile among all the white ones.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

It was tile in the bathtub surround. It really wasn't too bad, it was just an occasional small square colored tile among all the white ones.

I think it was appropriate for a little girl. I’m just amused over her obsession over sprinkles. I’m wondering if I have ever (in my long life) eaten them. 

Unless Molly thinks that her name/fame may bring in folks from outside of the area, she may do something small and cozy.  Maybe she will be smart and keep it scaled to the area - a little place where she can cook/serve some of her favorite dishes, not a obvious money grab like Ree's combo restaurant/hotel/merchandise outlet.   

1 hour ago, mishy said:

Why do people assume that Molly/her business partners haven't done their research about what works in their town? They know more than any poster here about what is and what isn't gong to work in the town they live in. 

I am assuming one was done, but don't know the details of it.

and even those with the best of written plans, do have to sometimes pivot

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, patty1h said:

Unless Molly thinks that her name/fame may bring in folks from outside of the area, she may do something small and cozy.  Maybe she will be smart and keep it scaled to the area - a little place where she can cook/serve some of her favorite dishes, not a obvious money grab like Ree's combo restaurant/hotel/merchandise outlet.   

I think that when Molly and Nick went to Waco, TX to visit Chip and Johanna Gaines regarding reno plans for their house they also got the opportunity to get the Gaines' advice and feedback on their Grand Forks Restaurant project.  

Molly and Nick seem very enterprising and with their success so far it is very likely they are going to try and capitalize on their particular "brand" to establish themselves as growing entrepreneurs in their area and beyond.

I also saw that Molly launched a line of kitchen utensils/pots&pans at Macy's.  Very cute and colorful!

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I think that when Molly and Nick went to Waco, TX to visit Chip and Johanna Gaines regarding reno plans for their house they also got the opportunity to get the Gaines' advice and feedback on their Grand Forks Restaurant project.  

LOL, have mixed feelings about that. But they have two kids and barring the girls wanting to be farmers, building the brand means accruing the cash while the iron is hot. 

Having revealed the new kitchen, I don't expect to see it again. That's for the family, the original is for the show. Since the barn was built, we don't get back into Ina's house either. And isn't Ree's set a set? (No need to tune in if you don't already know;-)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I remember the special they had a few months back about the remodel of their home. She did keep her original kitchen/set to do her shows from and has a new kitchen she can use for her family meals and home cooking. Why isn’t the new house featured in the show’s opening? 
I remember her having a cabinet made just to hold her sprinkle collection. Even sprinkle looking paint or wallpaper for her daughter’s bathroom (or was it bedroom). So cutesy. Almost too sugary for my taste. 

Ugh! Her sprinkle obsession , cookie salads , and weird childish behavior is just obnoxious and ruined the spring baking championship.    She is annoying on GMF but at least she’s not ruining a good show !

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Molly and Nick seem very enterprising and with their success so far it is very likely they are going to try and capitalize on their particular "brand" to establish themselves as growing entrepreneurs in their area and beyond.

I also saw that Molly launched a line of kitchen utensils/pots&pans at Macy's.  Very cute and colorful!

Wow! Macy's. ...Pioneer woman is only at Wal-Mart, right?   

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Cetacean said:

All good questions.  East Grand Forks is a pretty small town although it's not too far from Grand Fork AFB.  The "major" highway is I 29 but that takes you from Fargo (72 miles away) to Winnepeg (130 miles) so not exactly heavily traveled.  Not sure how this will fly unless it will be limited days and times.  One would hope a business plan was formed before this became public.

I lived in western Minnesota for a while. I was closer to Fargo but Grand Forks wasn't far away.  

The Grand Forks metro area is about 100K people. Add another 15K in students associated with the university. The only thing  that really separates Grand Forks from East Grand Forks is short ride over the river.  It's not hard to get from one place to the other and a lot of people in that area are used to driving distances.   

29 isn't the most traveled corridor but a lot of people going from the Twin Cities to central Canada often take that route.

That is absolutely plenty big enough to host a restaurant. Heck, she could even open it on her farm and probably be successful.  There are quite a few event spaces in rural areas--usually associated with a vineyard but sometimes farms as well. 

It also doesn't look like there's much competition if she's going to include bread and doughnuts as part of the things she sells.  It still might fail.  Lots of restaurants do.  Most probably. But it's not going to be because the potential customer base is too small. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, sATL said:

Wow! Macy's. ...Pioneer woman is only at Wal-Mart, right?   

I think that's the difference between dumping a bunch of canned vegetables, boxed noodles and hot sauce into a skillet, vs making biscuits from scratch or pho bowls.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, buttersister said:

LOL, have mixed feelings about that. But they have two kids and barring the girls wanting to be farmers, building the brand means accruing the cash while the iron is hot. 

Having revealed the new kitchen, I don't expect to see it again. That's for the family, the original is for the show. Since the barn was built, we don't get back into Ina's house either. And isn't Ree's set a set? (No need to tune in if you don't already know;-)

Ree's kitchen is in a separate house, I think they call it the Lodge.   For a while you could book tours of the Lodge.  They also have the restaurant / store in town in the old hotel.    Plus, the boarding house (8 room luxury hotel). 

https://www.themercantile.com/pages/plan-a-visit    

However, this is right in town, except for the Lodge.    Molly might be smarter to do something in town, and not out on her ranch with visitors treating her farm as a tourist attraction. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Molly might be smarter to do something in town,

The restaurant is going to be in town.

The restaurant will be in the Whitey's Underground building, reports the Grand Forks Herald, which Yeh shared in her Instagram caption she and her husband purchased in 2021. Built in the 1930s, Whitey's still has historic prohibition-era bar furnishings

Yes, Molly can definitely cook if you disregard the sprinkle covered desserts.  Her Asian/Jewish heritage have given her a wealth of excellent recipes to use. Ree's experience seems to be the use of a can opener...

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Yes, Molly can definitely cook if you disregard the sprinkle covered desserts.  Her Asian/Jewish heritage have given her a wealth of excellent recipes to use. Ree's experience seems to be the use of a can opener...

Also spices (or bottles) that bring the heat. They might eat such hot food to disguise the taste. [I'm talking about Ree] 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Letting everyone know: season 11 begins tomorrow. 

Just watched the new show.  Is it just me, or is Molly quite a bit more restrained?  When compared to her earlier shows, she was a lot less juvenile and not as rah-rah.  

• Like 1