Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E04: F...This

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good points.  Plum does seem to value herself based on other's reactions to her body.  And she seems to let those exaggerated reactions define her, in her own mind. 

She needs to find a place where she can be happy, where people care about her.   Given that she was on anti-depressants and then stupidly dumped them cold turkey, she is most definitely an irrational unhappy person.  She needs to develop more friendships first.   That gives her a support system that she so desperately needs.  Once she can get comfortable in that social environment, it should make it easier for her to date.  If things go sour on the dating scene, she has her friends to lean on.

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm really trying to follow along on this, because her body is just not large enough to draw that degree of a negative response, but, I'm just playing along. 

Other than her weight loss meetings that she attends, she doesn't seem to have any friends that are anywhere near her size.  That can be problematic, the few friends she does have can't relate to what she is going through.

I would like to know how overweight she is.  At her current size and given her mindset, I wouldn't think she would be able to get weight loss surgery.  Given the way that she dumped her anti-depressants, I am not sure any reputable doctor would perform the surgery.   She isn't emotionally prepared for it.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 11:05 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

This poster used to hang in my grade school as a kid, and it's stuck in my head to this day.

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

I used that in a lesson this year, though it was "equal" vs. "fair". I wish I could remember what it was, but I'd have to scan through my lesson plans for that since my brain has turned off for summer vacation. It started a good conversation with my students, though!

• Like 2

So Jennifer's big objection to UK tabloids was that they showed naked women? Where is all that body positivity bullshit all of a sudden? And their solution was to show naked men with their genitals in full view? How is that equivalent? You aren't allowed to show women's vaginas. Men's asses would have been roughly equivalent. It's also not like there aren't magazines that do show naked men, including their asses, out there. Not sure what the point was, really.

I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to sympathise with Jennifer at this point. I think I am, but man is the show doing a bad job with it. Between murdering people, risking innocent civilians lives and inventing problems where there are non and then going way overboard, I really don't like them.

As for the manifesto, they do know that women make the same money as men when doing the same job and putting in the same hours, right?

The only way that could save my interest in them would be a Fight Club / Mr Robot reveal where Plum is unknowingly the head of Jennifer.

On 20.6.2018 at 9:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Besides, we see ugly men dating beautiful women all the time. No one says they should only be interested in dating people who are as unattractive as they are.

Yeah, but those men are rich and Plum is broke.

On the plus side, Plum is actually really good looking, no matter what she thinks, so she should be able to bag somebody equally good or even better looking if she put herself out there.

On 21.6.2018 at 1:38 AM, BooBear said:

I am not sure what is going on there but my take is that she thinks he is too young.

A lot of people here seem to think this. It didn't cross my mind, but if it did so many of yours, that might actually be a sexism issue worth exploring. If it was a man at Plum's age and a woman at the coffee shop guys, would you still think she was too young for him? Would you project that onto the character?

I'm not even convinced the age difference is that big. Joy Nash is 37 and Will Seefried looks 30ish, though I can't find his actual age, which is a first in the whole history of the internet.

Edited by Miles
  • Like 1