Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Cracker Casserole

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I loved the slap down fight at the end!  I hope Jenn lets Bryce go at this point.  She had sex with the rabbi and gave the dude a rimjob, while Bryce got a blowjob from her mom.  There's no coming back from that.  Of course, with this show, you can't tell where it's going to go.

That commercial was a trip.  I had to look away out of embarrassment during some scenes. 

I loved Desna's look in the beginning, with the metal loops in her hair.

• Love 5
(edited)

This show delivers and there's just no denying it. Jen's trashy mom was every bit believable as her mother. TPTB chose their actress very well. I always thought in season 1 that Virginia and Dean were wrong for each other in an icky kinda way. So why do I find them actually kinda cute this season? And Dean proposed to her too! There will be hella hijinks at their wedding, I'm sure, and I'm here for it. I also couldn't tell if Virginia actually had the abortion. It kinda seemed ambiguous in a way, though it's rather backwards that she aborts the child first and then accepts Dean's marriage proposal after. Loved the "Good Vibrations" commercial shooting with Dr. Ken and the boys getting down. LOL. The character development is also nice this season. Quiet Ann gave birth to a daughter named Sophia, whom she put up for adoption. We'll be meeting Sophia sometime in the future; count on it. That WTF "Jerry Springer" style ending was ratchet!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 7
(edited)

Poor Jen sounded so heartbroken when she was crying at the end. I cheered when Desna went after her mom. That was a long time coming. I loved Dean snapping at the abortion clinic protestors.

That commercial was too much. I can't decide which was my favorite scene - the commercial or the fight scene at the end.

The costume designer on this show deserves an award.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, Syndicate said:

This show delivers and there's just no denying it. Jen's trashy mom was every bit believable as her mother. TPTB chose their actress very well. I always thought in season 1 that Virginia and Dean were wrong for each other in an icky kinda way. So why do I find them actually kinda cute this season? And Dean proposed to her too! There will be hella hijinks at their wedding, I'm sure, and I'm here for it. I also couldn't tell if Virginia actually had the abortion. It kinda seemed ambiguous in a way, though it's rather backwards that she aborts the child first and then accepts Dean's marriage proposal after. Loved the "Good Vibrations" commercial shooting with Dr. Ken and the boys getting down. LOL. The character development is also nice this season. Quiet Ann gave birth to a daughter named Sophia, whom she put up for adoption. We'll be meeting Sophia sometime in the future; count on it. That WTF "Jerry Springer" style ending was ratchet!

She definitely did. When they left the clinic as they were going through the protestors, she said she "D&C'd it" (dilation and curettage--early-term surgical abortion).

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7

I know it is a touchy subject but I stood up and clapped when Dean told those protesters off. 

I take it every season is going to include  a scene where  Desna chases after Virginia.

So Hank likes his salad tossed? You learn something new about a person everyday. Lol

I love that no one seems to bat an eye at Uncle Daddy's bisexuality.

• Love 24
(edited)

"Risk is a dick. Ride it." Oy. Now that's a messy metaphor. Emphasis on the meta.

Would a 20-something guy really be likely get the Sweet Sweetback reference? And enough to toss out Melvin Van Peebles' name? Whatever, Polly as a film auteur was hilarious. Once removed.

Seriously, when I shuffle off this mortal coil in the next life I want to come back with Desna's body. Oh yeah, she's got a body-oddy-oddy to die for.

Zlata certainly seems to up on urban slang. But then she'll toss out something weird like "blood under the bridge."  

Good on Dean for trying to school those protesters at the clinic. And interesting staging on that abortion debate, like the opening of The Brady Bunch. I'm glad the show presented the variety of pro and con arguments, and I'm also glad Virginia made her choice,

Heh, poor Baby Boy. He's probably never known pain like that Russian massage.

That guy in the commercial twerking while standing on his head was giving me feelings. Lawd have mercy.

Jenn's mama. Wow.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

Okay, I know abortion is a touchy serious subject buuut

Virginia: What if its the next Obama or that guy whose always dreaming?

Quiet Ann: Martin Luther King?

V: Yeah.

QA: Its not.

^^That had me rolling up there with "The Gremlin". God Virginia and Roller would have one dumb ass kid. His new bride sipping the Yoo-Hoo was a hoot.

The way they showed everyones different take on the abortion was a good stage until they did the Quiet Ann reveal. I found it an odd way to introduce a big piece of information about one of the crew. I do hope we don't get some sort of "Quiet Ann had a tramatic past before lesbianism" since i know that's an offensive stereotype /viewpoint, thinking some women become gay as a result of a bad experience (or no experience) with men.

I don't like Virginia a lot of the time I just don't find her genuinely invested with the girls but the way she immediately reached to take off her earings to join the beat down at the end was a good moment for her. I loved that scene -especially when Toby ran in!- before of course feeling so bad for Jenn breaking down outside. No one deserves that. 

The commercial was hilarious. Showing cash in a pain clinic ad will of course get you flagged as a scam in the real world but it was still a riot. The music was so on point this episode.

• Love 9

Poor Jenn! Her mama is so trashy she almost makes the rest of the characters look like the investors board at the New York Met. I really felt for her when she was crying on the porch. 

Other than that, this episode was freaking hilarious. I cant even decide what my favorite set piece was, the amazing commercial (complete with twerking over pills!) or the whole crew fighting with Bryce and Jenns mom, complete with Virginia pulling her earrings off, and Toby in his gimp outfit trying to pull people out of the pile. That was amazing. 

Its crazy, but I do actually find Virginia and Dean kind of cute this season. Him supporting her during the abortion, and her eating the ring pop engagement ring was actually really cute, and I do kind of get them as a couple. He treats her like a princess and not a slam piece, and she treats him like an adult. Plus, him telling off the abortion protesters for caring more about unborn fetuses than actual living children was awesome. 

I love the costumes on this show so much. For all that the Emmy's costume categories are overrun by fancy European period pieces, there is really something special about nailing the weirdly specific subculture around the Florida working class and nouvue riche in all its trashy glory.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

I do hope we don't get some sort of "Quiet Ann had a tramatic past before lesbianism" since i know that's an offensive stereotype /viewpoint, thinking some women become gay as a result of a bad experience (or no experience) with men.

I sincerely doubt we'll get that kind of idiot story line, the writing is just too smart.

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Would a 20-something guy really be likely get the Sweet Sweetback reference? And enough to toss out Melvin Van Peebles' name? Whatever, Polly as a film auteur was hilarious.

A 20-something film buff would.  I loved Polly in her director's beret, all she needed was a megaphone!

6 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

I take it every season is going to include  a scene where  Desna chases after Virginia.

Fingers crossed!

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I do hope we don't get some sort of "Quiet Ann had a tramatic past before lesbianism" since i know that's an offensive stereotype /viewpoint, thinking some women become gay as a result of a bad experience (or no experience) with men.

I don't think they were going for that; I think they were laying the groundwork for her daughter, Sofia, to show up as an adult character later this season.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

He's probably never known pain like that Russian massage.

That was a platza, where they beat you with soapy oak branches. It’s actually pretty great.

Lusia Strus was very good casting for Jenn’s mom.

This episode had more than its share of great quotes.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I sincerely doubt we'll get that kind of idiot story line, the writing is just too smart.

I'm not an optimist by default so that's why I'm  a but suspicious so far the writing is so good, though I did side eye a bit Roller being kidnapped by a crazy woman who maybe we were suppose to be amused by, so there's  a part of me expecting to go wrong. 

I'll disclose I have sort've conservative views on sex in real life though over time it's dwindled actually admitting it because I dont like being associated with these hardcore judgemental people and pro-lifers, it's, mostly in my own personal life. That being said the next day  I'm still really impressed that they actually had Virginia get an abortion. In 2018 as progressive as a lot of shows are getting that's still one area that seems to just be a thought for some female characters but they don't go through with it. One of the most offensive things I ever saw on day time television - actually all of television- was Erica Kanes aborted kid actually showing up as an adult, a lot of crazy and bad writing happens on daytime but given that was the first ever TV abortion back in the 70s I thought it would be untouchable and a huge step backwards 30 years later. I like the way Claws hit all the different view points and actually had Desna address asking if Autism being passed down as a factor. As the recap said Desna saying to Virginia "why would you let him do this to you?" Was a great thing to include. 

I know Quiet Ann needs a story but all kids eventually finding their birth parents is a bit of a trope if they're going there. Oh well. The mention though about Quiet Ann's relationship ending "because of Desna" I had to side eye. Wasn't the cop using Quiet Ann? Eventually the feelings were real but unless I'm misrembering I thought Arlene sought her out to get goods on Desna/the mafia , they weren't together then she realized Desna was a criminal and investigated. I know it was Virginia that said it but Ann didn't really object. Last season I remember  being annoyed that they didn't really address Quiet Ann being used.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2
(edited)

One of the most offensive things I ever saw on day time television - actually all of television- was Erica Kanes aborted kid actually showing up as an adult, a lot of crazy and bad writing happens on daytime but given that was the first ever TV abortion back in the 70s I thought it would be untouchable and a huge step backwards 30 years later

OMG, yes, I also saw it as offensive. I remember some of us speculating the retcon was done at Susan Lucci's behest because she's known to be politically conservative (or at least she was at the time) and perhaps no longer wanted that particular bit of TV history associated with her. There were a lot of unfortunate arguments on the soap message boards about that "unabortion."

In 2018 as progressive as a lot of shows are getting that's still one area that seems to just be a thought for some female characters but they don't go through with it.

This is one of several I've seen written into shows within the past few years. Notably Olivia Pope had one on Scandal in the season before this recent final one.

I like the way Claws hit all the different view points and actually had Desna address asking if Autism being passed down as a factor.

I was puzzled by that but didn't bother to google it. Autism isn't passed genetically, is it?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
(edited)
52 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

It was weird that Quiet Ann, "the muscle", was the one in the pile-up getting her butt kicked. I couldn't for the the life of me figure out who was hitting her, but she was getting wailed on. 

IKR? LOL! As the supposed "tough one" of the group, she should've been throwing people around like rag dolls. I believe it might've been Polly who was inadvertently throwing licks at her, although I'm not completely sure.

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm slightly bothered that the writing seems to be lessening Dean's autism with every episode.  I sort of wanted that aspect of his character to remain as it was.  For me, it hasn't.

You know, I actually kind of see what you mean. There does seem to be something slightly different about Dean this season. The autism is still noticeable, but he does seem different.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

I wonder if Dean might have calmed down knowing that his abusers are dead. Possibly having Virginia accept him for who he is might also have a calming effect. No longer having financial troubles might also have a calming effect.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 11:20 PM, lizzyp said:

link417 - is that what Polly said that caused Desna to say that she loved it when Polly said things that didn't match the way she looked?

“Risk is a dick. Ride it!” was the title of a chapter in Zlata's book. Desna said that line about Polly after Polly said "Or what? She'll put a cap in our ass?" re: Zlata's order to increase clinic traffic.

Edited by mrsbagnet
On 6/20/2018 at 1:07 AM, mrsbagnet said:

“Risk is a dick. Ride it!” was the title of a chapter in Zlata's book. Desna said that line about Polly after Polly said "Or what? She'll put a cap in our ass?" re: Zlata's order to increase clinic traffic.

You’re right but I think @lizzyp was referring to the “pussy power” line, I thought Polly said it but wasn’t sure.

Y’all betta don’t sleep on Quiet Ann, now. Due to the funky editing, one moment she would be on the ground getting pounded (I think some of that was some overzealous friendly fire, LOL) and the next she’d be up and throwing some ‘bows of her own.

• Love 1

I love this show! Happy to see it back.  I am in Canada and have yet to see Season 2 listed on any channel at all.  I'm sure that last Season it ran at the same time as in the US. Any Canadians in here with some insight?