Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: The Center Will Hold

• Start Topic

As much as Nicky annoys me, I was terrified for her. I would love it if she took that as a wake up call.....but I won't hold my breath. Her and Craig were tied for most idiotic this episode. Craig.....just, ugh. I wanna shake him and yell at him to grow up. Although I admit I laughed when he realized he and Deran trashed the wrong place!

I watched the encore episode just so I could see Pope roll up the window in the crossing guards face. He was just stone cold about it. I love that it didn't even slow her down! But Pope, she correct, it looks shady as hell to have him waiting outside all day. 

And we now know who shot Baz!

• Love 4
(edited)
41 minutes ago, nekilarose said:

And we now know who shot Baz!

Does mean this is the confirmation that Smurf was behind it?

God she is so evil.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 2

I get the feeling the doctor is going to hook up with Deran or/and be recruited to do heists for his athletic abilities.

Shouldn't the jeep be in police custody? I guess it wasn't clean enough for Lena's standards and if she can have it........... no one will!

Is Trujillo connected with Lucy? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Does is the confirmation that Smurf was behind it?

God she is so evil.

And then had the audacity to get his name tattooed on her!

3 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Shouldn't the jeep be in police custody? I guess it wasn't clean enough for Lena's standards and if she can have it........... no one will!

I asked that same question! The cops have no idea who shot Baz, so wouldn't they still be investigating? That jeep should probably still be in police custody (or impounded at least)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, nekilarose said:

I asked that same question! The cops have no idea who shot Baz, so wouldn't they still be investigating? That jeep should probably still be in police custody (or impounded at least)

Now this fool torches the jeep and leaves it on the beach with possible witnesses. I hope the police pays him a visit next week.

• Love 2

I love Craig so much! Before he and Deran trashed the wrong apartment, I thought that he had, impressively, found someone who is even dumber than he is. Of course, I speak of the guy who thought Craig gave him $600 and then survived a two story fall. In my dream scenario, they team up together, miraculously surviving idiotic escapade after idiotic escapade.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Yes! That's just too difficult to believe.

But Pope wanting to clean it & save for Lena's use in 10 years was pretty squicky. Did he really think for a moment that she would want the vehicle her dad got shot in?

• Love 2

I think Pope just threw the line about cleaning the jeep for Lena at him to try and shut him up. I kind of wonder if he was cleaning it in an act of contrition for how he wronged Lena (killing her mother) and also because he was not there to save Baz? Pope kind of fascinates me, while also repulsing me. Props to Shawn Hatosy, he's really incredible in this role.

Loved the Craig/Deran interactions. And while I don't dislike Nikki intensely, she did annoy the eff out of me this episode. Girl. Move on.

Mia, Mia, Mia. Cannot wait for that secret to come out. And Smurf. Remind me to never turn my back to you ever.

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, rhys said:

Yes! That's just too difficult to believe.

But Pope wanting to clean it & save for Lena's use in 10 years was pretty squicky. Did he really think for a moment that she would want the vehicle her dad got shot in?

My theory on this: He was not saving it for Lena, that was just the excuse he gave to J as to why he was cleaning it. At the end we see him torch it, so obviously he meant to clean it and get rid of it, destroying evidence from a murder. Why would he want to do that? My guess is that he wants to find and deal with the murderer himself, and not have the police involved.

I think J is FINALLY realizing that he should dump Nicky, all she does is cause him more problems.

Edited by KaleyFirefly
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I think J is FINALLY realizing that he should dump Nicky, all she does is cause him more problems.

J does not make the best choices in people gets involved with. An adult teacher who sleeping with her under-aged student in order to get inside info for the cops to escape a drug charge and now an violent girl who killed his maybe father.

• Love 2
(edited)

Disappointed with the writing this season, slowbutn but I find Pope's arc the best, seems like they really are waiting for Leary to shake things up.

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I get the feeling the doctor is going to hook up with Deran or/and be recruited to do heists for his athletic abilities.

Is Trujillo connected with Lucy? 

Yup, I think so, Lucy must be doing shady stuff. Or Smurf setting up the kill, which is predictable. Writers dropped the ball tbh.

BTW, worst episode of the series. Mia as the shooter, really? They did reshoots BC the finale it looked like a stockier guy. But I guess it serves a storyline but you damn well know Pope will be suspicious about this girl. And why invite this girl into your circle? J is an idiot, and kinda weak.

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Now this fool torches the jeep and leaves it on the beach with possible witnesses. I hope the police pays him a visit next week.

Lazy writing, I agree. Last episode was stupidity at best, now Mia will probably get her way since she's got into their circle.

Edited by Gsallo
  • Love 1

If Baz is dead, I don't like the way this show is going, judging by the first episode of this season's show. Like i said earlier, if Baz is dead, then why have Speedman's name shown as the second lead? I think he will survive, or this show is dead. I cannot see Pope replacing Baz, he is a loose cannon, nor i see J taking over. Craig's character is getting monotonous ...and so is Nicky. Seems the only sane character in this show is gay Darin.

Like everyone else, I think the Jeep would have been in police impound.  It was a crime scene.  

Next, I do not understand why Pope burned it.  He could have had the windshield repaired and given it to J to sell.  According to what was said last season, J has power of attorney over everything, including the cars.  Why does no one in this group, including J, consider any legal means of raising money?  Why not sell the Jag?

Why not rent the vacant places in the buildings, especially if real estate is as hot as Craig and Deran claim? 

The plan to rob the pill mill sounds questionable at best.  Hope Pope can improve the plans.

Craig is really a horrible person.  Clearly Deran did not buy the bar to go straight...just to get free of Smurf.  Why are they trashing that place?  even if it were the right place?  

Nicki is an addict.  Poor J...yet another druggie to worry about. 

Once again, J is being used by a woman. Mia, who now turns out to be a contract killer, has probably been dispatched to keep her eyes on J, to see if he knows where Baz's stash is hidden.  She is now going to sleep over, too? This does make me worry about the woman where J actually has his little stash.  I imagine he has taken most of the money,  it he did have a little jewelry and a throwaway gun there.  Mia would only have to make a harmless social call, though, and then to search the bathroom to find it...don't know that anyone would be harmed.

I agree that this season seems sloppily written.

It's definitely the slowest start to a season they've had so far. I can't shake the suspicion it's because they could only afford Dennis Leary's salary for X number of episodes so they had to just spin their wheels until they could start writing his character into the story. Nothing much seems to be going on.

So I guess the shooter was Mia, although I was very confused at first. I originally thought it was Alvarez (the gal in jail with Smurf) when she took off her hoodie and turned around in the car, because the scene cut right to a shot of Alvarez in jail and that's who I thought it was. Which made no sense. I had to rewind the shot of her face in the car about half a dozen times to convince myself it wasn't Alvarez (she has a mole on her upper lip; the girl in the car did not). 

Mia being the shooter doesn't make a lot of sense either. Smurf expected Pope to kill Baz, so I'm not sure how much time she had to learn Pope didn't go through with it and hire someone else to do it. I suppose if she was paying Mia's crew to follow Baz around they  might have reported back to her Baz was still alive, but that's a lot of visits to Smurf in a short period of time.

Something else that threw me was when J told Pope nobody showed up for the meeting, and he specifically said something about Daren, to which Pope replied "that's because he hates you." Since when does Deran hate J? They were on pretty good terms last season. Deran and Craig even jumped up to defend J when Baz came at him. 

He's not a doctor, he's a nurse or something (he said "the doctor is ready for you now" when he came out to get Craig). I think you're right otherwise, though - there seemed to be a little something something going on between him and Deran.

Good God, someone needs to kill Nicky. She's just a total financial drain on J and a causes nothing but trouble. In truth I'm not sure where she would go if J kicked her to the curb since she kind of burned her bridges with her father, but they'd pretty much have to kill her off anyway considering how much she knows about the Codys. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Mia being the shooter doesn't make a lot of sense either. Smurf expected Pope to kill Baz, 

Agree that Smurf seems to have hired or manipulated multiple people to kill Baz, though the plan to have Pope kill Baz always seemed less than fool proof.  Baz might have killed Pope instead, for instance.  I wonder if there was a long term plan for the show.  I can't imagine that gang leader entrusting a young girl to shoot someone...though maybe she was only supposed to wound him. Who knows.  Maybe it was some sort of initiation ritual.  However, this appears to be a large gang.  it is more credible to me that she would have been the driver, not the shooter.The suggestion that the shooting scene was a remake seems possible to me.

I also question Smurf's method of laundering money.  Making the fake deposits seems pretty labor intensive.  It would seem to me that most of the places would be rented, but for less than is claimed in what would be the second set of books.  Costs of all repairs, remodeling, etc., would also be exaggerated for that fake set of books and for tax purposes. Clearly she had amassed much more cash and stolen items than she could actually handle.  She should have had enough rent coming in to actually cover utilities, taxes, and minimum upkeep.

J is supposed to be super smart, but then, he was studying physics and math, not business and bookkeeping. Pope turned down Deran's reluctant offer of $25 K...wonder if J would have done the same.  He is desperate for cash and surely suspects the Trujillo's to be killers.

(edited)

Rewatched s2 finale, they definitely did re-shoots, angle and person. I'm quite pissed they revealed the shooter early, better to create suspense. IMO, rather be one of the Cody's or Vinny (he had every reason to kill Baz).

Also:  last season was slow till the church heist, perhaps Leary coming on next week will inject some riveting arcs.

And I agree, sloppy, sloppy dialogue. I really think Mia infiltrating is too easy... Pope will sniff her oiut. Book it!

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Good God, someone needs to kill Nicky. She's just a total financial drain on J and a causes nothing but trouble. In truth I'm not sure where she would go if J kicked her to the curb since she kind of burned her bridges with her father, but they'd pretty much have to kill her off anyway considering how much she knows about the Codys. 

Pretty sure Craig (writers should have kept him in Mexico) and Nikki will either be harmed or die. They introduced a new gang affiliation for a reason, and Craig's path to destruction is inevitable. I dislike Craig the most.

BTW, where's Marco? You think he snitches on Lucy?

Edited by Gsallo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, lazylou said:

Once again, J is being used by a woman. Mia, who now turns out to be a contract killer, has probably been dispatched to keep her eyes on J, to see if he knows where Baz's stash is hidden.  She is now going to sleep over, too? This does make me worry about the woman where J actually has his little stash.  I imagine he has taken most of the money,  it he did have a little jewelry and a throwaway gun there.  Mia would only have to make a harmless social call, though, and then to search the bathroom to find it...don't know that anyone would be harmed.

As soon as J went into his former neighbor's bathroom and came out with several stacks of cash I thought to myself that the neighbor may not last the season.

I think Mia is really pretty; although that doesn't have anything to do with anything.

17 hours ago, Shriekingeel said:

Nicky is going to get herself killed.

It can't happen soon enough. If this crew had a tiny bit more intelligence, they would realize what a liability she is. How do the cops not have 24/7 surveillance on that house?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Good God, someone needs to kill Nicky.

I hope she comes home and find J and Mia in bed. She will try to act tough to Mia and Mia will kill her.

5 hours ago, lazylou said:

Once again, J is being used by a woman

Poor J! He asks Mia for a ride to help Nicky and she made sure to stop and get fries before going the house. Priorities!

Lord, Smurf is one cold evil lady. Her evil smirk when she sent the other woman to solitary! Never get on her bad side, she can fuck people up even in prison! 

I love Craig and Deran interactions, and I laughed when they realized they got the wrong house. Craig is such a dumbass, but I still always manage to feel a bit bad for him. He tries to do better and pull his weight sometimes, and he knows he sucks, but he always manages to mess everything up.

Speaking of dumbass, Nikki is gonna get all kinds of killed at this rate. She needs to take a hint that J isnt into her anymore, and that he isnt interested in her just being his hot, freeloader girlfriend anymore. I hope that this is a wake up call for her to take a hint and leave soon. Between her near forced blow job, meeting her old friend from high school doing well in college, and seeing J with another girl, she needs to pack up and move on from her walk on the wild side.

I can also see why J is into Mia now, she is basically the polar opposite of Nikki. While Nikki is a rather useless drug using freeloader from a normal family who wants into his life for the excitement, Mia is a smart, competent, hardass who is already involved in criminal activities, has a criminal family, and works in the business. 

I now just want to watch antics of Pope dealing with elementary school stuff. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Broderbits said:

How do the cops not have 24/7 surveillance on that house?

My guess is that after they got royally burned on the J/teacher fiasco, they were told by higher ups that "unless you catch one of these guys coming out of a bank holding the money in his hand, you will not do anything that may possible negatively affect the PD in any way."  The PD is probably hoping nature will take its course and the whole family will be wiped out by other bad guys.

7 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I hope she comes home and find J and Mia in bed. She will try to act tough to Mia and Mia will kill her.

Poor J! He asks Mia for a ride to help Nicky and she made sure to stop and get fries before going the house. Priorities!

Yes, but have you ever been to In N Out? ?

I don't care for their fries, but I do know tons of people who worship at the house of In N Out. 

I live in Oceanside and know exactly where the In N Out is that's off of Hacienda & Emerald. A big part of enjoying this show for me is recognizing the filming locations and the use of geography in dialogue (street names, nearby shops/restaurants).

• Love 1
(edited)

One thing I think people enjoyed in previous seasons was watching the jobs the boys pulled.  We saw the auto heist Deran arranged...but since then there has been nothing but the nonsensical destruction of a house...for no reason...and a two story fall off a roof.  Oh, and the torching of Baz's car...for no reason.  I expect this violence was all supposed to appease the action-hungry audience, but all it did for me was to realize how little I like Craig.  Oh, I forgot the replay of Baz's murder.  So now we are warned, before we begin to like her, that J's new girl is a killer.   

Spoiler

i guess we are prepared not to care when Craig and Nicki die, Smurf does not get out of jail, and J and Pope are left ...along with Deran, just as apparently the movie ended.

Edited by saoirse
Added spoiler tag
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, lazylou said:

Agree that Smurf seems to have hired or manipulated multiple people to kill Baz, though the plan to have Pope kill Baz always seemed less than fool proof.  Baz might have killed Pope instead, for instance.  I wonder if there was a long term plan for the show.  I can't imagine that gang leader entrusting a young girl to shoot someone...though maybe she was only supposed to wound him. Who knows.  Maybe it was some sort of initiation ritual.  However, this appears to be a large gang.  it is more credible to me that she would have been the driver, not the shooter.The suggestion that the shooting scene was a remake seems possible to me.

There are too many child soldiers in the world, along with the history of gang shot callers using  child gangsters who because of their age can't be threatened with the  death penalty of life without parole to go with the girl is too young theory.

The way Mia sticks to J, she seems to be a James Bond type spy and not just an assassin, along with her boss letting the protection payments run late suggest he is trying to take over what was an independent Cody family as a robbery crew asset for his gang. Sort of like all the crews had to give the Mafia a cut on their jobs in Goodfellas and other movies.. 

Rewatched s2 finale, 

Where did you see it? None of the previous seasons were available on the TNT streaming app last time I checked, nor are they available on OnDemand. Stupid TNT.

12 hours ago, Bridget said:

Yes, but have you ever been to In N Out? ?

I don't care for their fries, but I do know tons of people who worship at the house of In N Out. 

I live in Oceanside and know exactly where the In N Out is that's off of Hacienda & Emerald. A big part of enjoying this show for me is recognizing the filming locations and the use of geography in dialogue (street names, nearby shops/restaurants).

Waves to a fellow O'sider!  That In N Out is really close to where I live, but I hardly ever go there anymore.  I, too, appreciate all the local references and scenery.

J sure knows how to pick 'em, doesn't he?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Waves to a fellow O'sider!  That In N Out is really close to where I live, but I hardly ever go there anymore.  I, too, appreciate all the local references and scenery.

J sure knows how to pick 'em, doesn't he?

Hey neighbor!

I could walk to that In N Out if I HAD to, but I prefer the fries from Wendy's (just down the street from In N Out too!). 

J needs to dump the loser girls for awhile so he can concentrate on himself and try to keep things afloat while Smurf is in jail. (Does anyone know why she's called Smurf? I've watched the show since season one and I cannot recall how/why she earned that nickname. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answer!)

The simple fact that Nikki began dating J, then dated his freakin' uncle and ended up going back to J gives me the heebie jeebies. I'm totally judging her and I admit it. I was kind of shocked that J even took her back. Maybe this is an example of someone having "Mommy issues" instead of a female character having "Daddy issues"? He seems so annoyed by her now, at least that's how I interpret their scenes together. She needs to go. Nikki doesn't add anything to the story and the actress who plays her leaves a lot to be desired. I find both the character & actress to be awkward. There's no other word I can use to describe how I feel when I see her on the screen.

• Love 6
On 6/12/2018 at 10:21 PM, Shriekingeel said:

Nicky is going to get herself killed. J’s infatuation with Cartel Girl is like a neon sign pointing out that if J dumps Nicky, she knows enough to put the whole family in prison. 

I would not piss off Cartel Girl if I were Nicky! 

59 minutes ago, Bridget said:

I could walk to that In N Out if I HAD to, but I prefer the fries from Wendy's (just down the street from In N Out too!). 

The simple fact that Nikki began dating J, then dated his freakin' uncle and ended up going back to J gives me the heebie jeebies. I'm totally judging her and I admit it. I was kind of shocked that J even took her back. 

First of all, I am dying to try an In N Out burger.  If I ever get to California, that will probably be my first stop!

Second, I think J just keeps her around for the same reason most other 18 year old boys would; because she sleeps with him.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Pink-n-Green said:

I would not piss off Cartel Girl if I were Nicky! 

First of all, I am dying to try an In N Out burger.  If When I ever get to California, that will probably be my first stop!

Second, I think J just keeps her around for the same reason most other 18 year old boys would; because she sleeps with him.

Fixed it for you!

The food is ridiculously inexpensive and it’s damn good too! You shouid snag an In N Out t-shirt as an official souvenir of your trip to California. 

I teach high school, so I should know better about why J keeps her around. Good point! 

• Love 1

J needs to dump the loser girls for awhile so he can concentrate on himself and try to keep things afloat while Smurf is in jail. 

J's one weakness is well documented throughout the series. It's really sort of sad the way he just let Mia crawl on top of him and have her way with him. Up until that point she had been a nuisance to him - there wasn't any evidence he was even attracted to her. Not that he didn't probably enjoy it but he's just so blase about having sex with a woman who could potentially destroy his family and is in the business of shaking him down every week.

(Does anyone know why she's called Smurf? I've watched the show since season one and I cannot recall how/why she earned that nickname.

They covered this last season. When she was a kid she and her mother were living out of their car with some guy her mother picked up. Whenever they had enough money to stay at a motel Smurf loved to go swimming in the motel pool. She would stay there so long she would turn blue and her mother's boyfriend coined the nickname "Smurf." She tracked this guy down pretending to be a buyer for one of his custom classic cars, took him to dinner and got him to tell the story of when he was with her mother (without him knowing who she really was). It was then that she realized she had always misinterpreted the situation where her mother was shot as having been his fault when it was actually her mother's fault. However, she still went back and shot him dead afterwards. It was really strange - she sort of spiraled downwards after that, drinking way too much.

Nikki doesn't add anything to the story and the actress who plays her leaves a lot to be desired. 

I think Smurf befriended her because she was a useful idiot. She was able to report back to Smurf what her sons were up to. But at this point she's a real liability. Not only is she bleeding them dry but she's bringing a lot of unwanted attention to them. And she's probably an even bigger liability if J kicks her to the curb because she could turn state's evidence against them. 

She needs killin'. 

• Love 4

Nikki is also a hostage should her father get caught by NCIS and tries to trade the Cody's. 

What was up with rapist drug dealer, after J dropped Pope's name he decides to to go out in public with a baseball bat?  One thing seems sure is that Baz was not Mia's first violent mission 

I think the drug dealer was willing to let Nicky walk out without paying what she already owed him for drugs, but then she walked out with that big bag of coke as well. That was a step too far. 

On 6/12/2018 at 11:05 PM, mxc90 said:

IShouldn't the jeep be in police custody? I guess it wasn't clean enough for

Exactly! It is evidence in a murder case, it would be impounded..... this is the fault of the writers who went in the direction of letting Pope clean that jeep and then discard it. 

Also, Lena's mom "disappeared" and her Dad was killed and her grandmother is in jail. Pope was not given formal custody of Lena. Again, the writers seem a bit clueless. 

As others have noted, this season's writing is (take your pick:  one or more) weak, slow, or logically-flawed. I found this episode to be a fresh hot mess - for an allegedly smart crime family, so many rookie mistakes.  Easy rules to follow:

1.  Do not torch the vehicle of a murder victim, which should still be in police impound.  Do not put it on a public beach.  Be sure to wear gloves while handling gasoline can (fingerprints!).  Also, shouldn't Baz's murder been on blast all over the local media?

2.  Do not let Cartel Girl sleep at your home base when you just met her and she is collecting the weekly protection money - from you!

3.  Do not let your big goofball brother Craig talk you into smashing up some yuppie condo model - and then end up smashing someone else's home instead.

Overall, I'm wondering if they should have stopped at two seasons and called it a day.  Better to leave a little on the table rather than try to jump the shark.

• Love 1
On 6/14/2018 at 1:07 PM, iMonrey said:

Where did you see it? None of the previous seasons were available on the TNT streaming app last time I checked, nor are they available on OnDemand. Stupid TNT.

The first 2 seasons are streaming  on Amazon  Prime

Do not let your big goofball brother Craig talk you into smashing up some yuppie condo model - and then end up smashing someone else's home instead.

I don't think they were actually at the wrong place. Those were the right condos they were vandalizing. It was just that initially Craig remembered there being a restaurant there before they built them, and once they were inside, he realized the restaurant was actually across the street. (At that point, they would have left if they realized they were in the wrong place, instead of continuing to smash the place up). They were still accomplishing their goal, which was to make the condos less desirable for potential buyers.

• Love 1
On 6/18/2018 at 10:35 PM, mochamajesty said:

The first 2 seasons are streaming  on Amazon  Prime

And on Netflix. S2 after eppy 4 has been consistently good, prob the best season.

On 6/18/2018 at 10:02 PM, MajorMarket said:

Overall, I'm wondering if they should have stopped at two seasons and called it a day.  Better to leave a little on the table rather than try to jump the shark.

I dunno but this season is awfully bad in direction and pace. Baz being dead should have lit a fire under their asses but they're being sloppy and the cops will eventually go hard on them.

On 6/14/2018 at 1:59 PM, saoirse said:

A reminder - this is to discuss the show, not the movie the show is based on. The movie should be discussed in the The Australian Movie Vs the TNT Series topic, and if you mention it here, it should be spoiler tagged. Thanks!

Thank you for this! I now don't even want to see the movie anymore, because so many people have spoiled it for me on the TV forums.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:52 PM, iMonrey said:

I think the drug dealer was willing to let Nicky walk out without paying what she already owed him for drugs, but then she walked out with that big bag of coke as well. That was a step too far. 

Nicky is such an idiot.

• Love 1

So many holes in the plot this season. Add this: Smurf, an arguably really smart career criminal hires Mia to kill Baz BEFORE she finds out where Baz stashed all the loot. How hard would it be to secure the money BEFORE killing him. Dead men tell no tales!

Also, how is it that a crime family with lots of cash and guns stashed all over the house has weekly parties with dozens of strangers coming and going as they please? You'd think that house would be a fortress.

• Love 4