Type keyword(s) to search

Super Social Analysis: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, and LGBT in Movies

• Start Topic

Tim Burton Explains Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' Features A Predominantly White Cast

"Nowadays, people are talking about it more," he says regarding on-screen diversity. But "things either call for things, or they don’t. I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started to get all politically correct, like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black — I used to get more offended by that than just — I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, that’s great. I didn’t go like, OK, there should be more white people in these movies."

Yeah, no. 

• Love 8

Tim Burton doesn't just cast white people, he uses makeup to make them all even whiter! It's a really weird fetish.

I was wondering how he was going to indulge it with Sam Jackson in this movie. Then I saw that Burton gave the character gray/white hair and light grey eyes. 

• Love 4

All of Burton's movies look the same to me now. And his response is typical of people who refuse to do any critical thinking about what they produce.

It's funny that one backdoor pilot of The Brady Bunch had such a large impact on him. Yet he can't understand how having exclusively white people in your movies might have a bigger impact on people that aren't white.

• Love 5

And the funny thing is, by Hollywood Standards, they don't even count as ingenues. They're "older" like Anne Hathaway.

Cameron Diaz, his co-star back at the start of this decade, would probably be too old now to be his love interest even though she's a still a decade younger. I would be shocked if Tom Cruise allowed a love interest older than her late 30's. I sure as hell can't see Tom Cruise doing a current movie with contemporaries like Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sandra Bullock, or Julianne Moore.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

I love Kiefer Sutherland for all his faults simply because he did a western in Canada with his father called Forsaken, and his 'love interest', in the film was played by Demi Moore, who is 4 years older than him. I can't think of any other film recently where that has happened.

• Love 3

God, how old does an actor have to be before he "ages out"??

Paul friggin' Newman, one of the most talented, gorgeous actors who ever lived, had the decency to look in the mirror one day and think, "Huh, it's time for me to stop playing roles better suited to young bucks, and I should really  stop macking on chicks half my age"*. When the ever living hell is Tom Cruise going to follow suit? The idea that he's going to play the lead in a remake of The Mummy (instead of, y'know, the actual mummy) is just ludicrous! He's almost 25 years older than Brendan Fraser was when he first played the lead all those years ago!

I remember a 1995 episode of The Critic (yeah, I may not be young) that took place at the Oscars, and they were announcing the nomination for either Best Make-up or Best Special Effects, and the joke was, "Love Affair, for making Warren Beatty look like a young man". We then cut to Beatty in the audience, as a preposterously old geezer in a wheelchair saying, "That's me up there!" before his dentures fall out. The thing is, Beatty was 57 or 58 at this time, only a few years older than Cruise is now! 

*Ok, I know he didn't literally do this or think this, but he definitely settled into roles meant for older men. Good on him.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 12

This looks like typical self-indulgent James Franco trash, and I am so there.

The tank tops are wrong for the time period (they were either plain white or plain black), but Brent's trucker hat and little bead necklace choker was dead-on. Garrett Clayton is pretty hot, so eh, I'm in. I'm hoping for a trashy dark dramedy.

• Love 2

The true story behind King Cobra is so messed up.  The movie can't possibly do it justice.  I'm still excited to see it.  I would like for it to be good, but I'll settle for trash fun.

There is a great, great, great Australian movie called Holding the Man on Netflix at least in the US right now.  Two boys meet at prep school in the 70s, and the two of them are together until one dies of AIDS in the early 90s.  I know we're supposed to be past the "gay character dies of AIDS in the final reel," but it was so well made.  It's based on a true story (the surviving partner wrote a book that was published after he too died).  There are some problems, mainly that the same actors play the guys throughout and it's really, really tough to buy them as high school students.  But it's worth a watch.  Have Kleenex handy, I sobbed at it.

• Love 1

Here's the trailer.  The focal-point character is a made-up white guy who becomes a student of Lee's and apparently sets up the fight between him and Wong Jack Man.  Reviews that came out of the Toronto International Film Festival (check out Variety and JoBlo) complain that, not only is Bruce Lee the second fiddle in his own biopic, but his characterization is also disappointingly one-dimensional - a stock version of characters he played onscreen rather than any honest attempt to portray the actual man behind that persona.  For everyone who hears the words "legendary fight between Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man" and thinks, "Sounds cool, I guess, but where's the white guy?"

It reminds of a quote from this recent interview with John Cho:

I've seen many instances where we’re seen as a little less than human, or maybe a little more than human — like ultrahuman, rather than subhuman. What is wrong with film representation? Some of it is mechanical, surprisingly. I've thought about why Asian stars — from Asia, I mean — look so much better in their Asian films than they do in their American films, and now I can answer that to some extent. There's an eye, and it's not a malicious eye, which is a way that the people working the camera and behind the scenes view us. And then they process it and they put it on film. And it's not quite human. Whereas Asian films, they are considered fully human. Fully heroic, fully comic, fully lovely, fully sad, whatever it is. And it's this combination of lighting, makeup, and costume.

If you don't think of a person as fully human, you sort of stop short and go, That’s good enough. Do you remember Doug Liman’s film Go? I remember Taye Diggs in that movie, and he was charcoal black. I was surprised to see him in How Stella Got Her Groove Back — I realized that Go was not an accurate representation of his skin tone whatsoever. And I've met him. He was carelessly lit. Why is that? Why is one carelessly lit? The white people were carefully lit.

Although he's talking specifically about lighting and how Asians and other PoC are filmed, this interview and that phrase, not "fully human," are what came to mind when I read the TIFF reviews for Birth of the Dragon.  Because I don't even see how any producer would look at Billy Magnussen's character as the main selling point for the film.  I mean, they have to know that Bruce Lee is what people want in a Bruce Lee biopic, right?  So what does that leave me with?  The notion that most of Hollywood doesn't actually know how to make a compelling story written from the perspective of an Asian man.  It doesn't know how to tell the story if there's not a white guy to focus on, because it can't completely see that Asian man the way it should.

• Love 7
On 10/6/2016 at 5:26 PM, angora said:

Here's the trailer.  The focal-point character is a made-up white guy who becomes a student of Lee's and apparently sets up the fight between him and Wong Jack Man.  Reviews that came out of the Toronto International Film Festival (check out Variety and JoBlo) complain that, not only is Bruce Lee the second fiddle in his own biopic, but his characterization is also disappointingly one-dimensional - a stock version of characters he played onscreen rather than any honest attempt to portray the actual man behind that persona.  For everyone who hears the words "legendary fight between Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man" and thinks, "Sounds cool, I guess, but where's the white guy?"

It reminds of a quote from this recent interview with John Cho:

Although he's talking specifically about lighting and how Asians and other PoC are filmed, this interview and that phrase, not "fully human," are what came to mind when I read the TIFF reviews for Birth of the Dragon.  Because I don't even see how any producer would look at Billy Magnussen's character as the main selling point for the film.  I mean, they have to know that Bruce Lee is what people want in a Bruce Lee biopic, right?  So what does that leave me with?  The notion that most of Hollywood doesn't actually know how to make a compelling story written from the perspective of an Asian man.  It doesn't know how to tell the story if there's not a white guy to focus on, because it can't completely see that Asian man the way it should.

I get John Cho's comments about 3-dimensional characters. And his point about how actors are lit. 

Many people in Hollywood still believe that people won't come out to see a movie unless there's a prominent white guy in the movie. Remember the early outcry after the release of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailers? People were losing their shit that two of the main characters were a woman and a black man. But people did come out to see that movie, of course. 

A different example: the media lost it again when the move "Best Man: Holiday" performed well at the box office. It was essentially a romantic comedy (with a bit of drama thrown in) that featured an all-black cast. There was one white character, but he played a minor role in the movie. It wasn't a movie about race or slavery or drugs. It was a movie about friendship and love. And it just happened to have a black cast. Somehow, the media didn't think black people were capable of talking about ordinary life. And looking good in the process. 

• Love 4

I know that the original script/concept for the animated Mulan was pretty horribly racist, so there's always hope that we could see a dramatic turnaround. But honestly it annoys me that this spec script exists at all and that that's what Disney was going off of when they purchased it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, galax-arena said:

I know that the original script/concept for the animated Mulan was pretty horribly racist, so there's always hope that we could see a dramatic turnaround. But honestly it annoys me that this spec script exists at all and that that's what Disney was going off of when they purchased it. 

I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid, and I now feel bad that I never recognized its inherent racism. I just thought it was a cool to watch a movie about a badass Asian girl.

I saw Queen of Katwe this weekend with my family. I loved that my kids were able to watch and enjoy a studio movie about an African little girl. And other African children. Lupita Nyong'o and David Oyelowo were amazing. Their roles were somewhat Disney-fied and probably weren't meaty enough to garner them any award nominations, but they were both great. And I also loved that an African man, not a white missionary, was the one who taught the kids to play chess. I'm not pissing on missionaries or 'Dangerous Minds' teachers--those types of stories do happen. But it was refreshing for the kids of Katwe to learn something valuable from a person who looks like them. 

• Love 7

Speaking of live action Disney movies, from the business thread: Live Action Aladdin lands director Guy Ritchie

Oh here go hell come. I will not tolerate them casting some white pretty boy as my Aladdin. I bet it's gonna be that kid they keep casting in things even though he's yet to bring anything notable to the role, he was the prince in Maleficent and he's in the new Pirate movie. You see, he has thick eyebrows like Aladdin! I'm not looking up his name.

I can't wait for them to fuck it up! 

Matt Damon assures fans ‘The Great Wall’ is NOT whitewashing

“I had a few reactions,” he continued. “I was surprised, I guess because it was based on a teaser. It wasn’t even a full trailer, let alone a movie. So, to get those charges levied against you … What bummed me out really is I read The Atlantic religiously and there was an article in The Atlantic. I was like, ‘Really, guys?’ To me whitewashing, I think of Chuck Connors when he played Geronimo. Look there are far more nuanced versions of it and I do try to be sensitive to that. But Pedro Pascal called me, and goes, ‘Yeah, we are guilty of whitewashing. We all know only the Chinese defended the Wall against monsters when they attacked.’”

Oh shut up, Pedro Pascal. And shut up, Matt Damon. Forever. Always.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, topanga said:

And I also loved that an African man, not a white missionary, was the one who taught the kids to play chess. I'm not pissing on missionaries or 'Dangerous Minds' teachers--those types of stories do happen. But it was refreshing for the kids of Katwe to learn something valuable from a person who looks like them. 

I loved that, too, Topanga.  Movies about disadvantaged kids learning to better their situations with the help of a kind adult who teaches them a valuable skills are pretty much a genre of their own, and a huge number of them feature a white adult and children of color.  I know it's based on a true story, but I still think it's so awesome that the coach is Ugandan (not to mention someone who also came from poverty and worked hard to get an education.)

I can't even with that Mulan stuff.  I'm not entirely sure how it works with spec scripts - is it possible that a company would buy a script essentially as a placeholder, and that they wouldn't necessarily have any intention of using it beyond it being about Mulan?  I'm hoping that's the case.  Disney has been doing such a thoughtful job with diversity in recent films - Queen of Katwe, the fantastically-savvy Zootopia (I almost fell out of my seat when Judy complimented Nick for being so "articulate,") The Jungle Book (I saw beautiful multiculturalism analogies all through that movie, including the villain who tried to convince everyone that Mowgli was inherently dangerous because of his species and the ultimate message that Mowgli didn't have to assimilate/behave like a wolf in order for the jungle to be his rightful home.)  It would be such a huge bummer if Mulan winds up being anything like this spec script.  I want to tell myself that they wouldn't do that to my girl Mulan, but if they can do it to Bruce Lee, who's to say who's safe?

I'm guessing he's too old for Shang, particularly if they're looking for a teenage Mulan, but Broadway/Korean theatre actor Michael K. Lee's voice is a thing of beauty.  I'd LOVE to hear him sing "I'll Make a Man Out of You."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, topanga said:

Please, let that version never see the light of day. 

Okay this:

Spoiler

The man is a 30-something European trader who initially cares only for the pleasure of women and money. The only reason why he and his entourage decide to help the Chinese Imperial Army is because he sets eyes on Mulan. That's right. Our white savior has come to the aid of Ancient China due to a classic case of Yellow Fever. In this script written by Lauren Hynek and Elizabeth Martin, more than half of its pages are dedicated to this merchant who develops a mutual attraction with Mulan and fights to protect her in the ensuing battles. To top it all off, this man gets the honor of defeating the primary enemy of China, not Mulan. Way to steal a girl's thunder.

is some bullshit. The new male character is bad enough but the way they're altering Mulan's story?! Why, why would anyone, anywhere, think,

Spoiler

"Wow, people really seem to want a live-action adaptation of Mulan. I know what will make people happy! If we completely stripped away the historical elements, reduced the heroine to a sidekick, and added a white boy!" 

Do I need to put that in spoilers? I don't know. I am just in case.

As for the age difference, I don't know about you guys but I'm so happy there's finally a Disney movie for the hebephiles!

See, this crap is why no one even considered giving Damon's movie the benefit of the doubt. Hollywood does not deserve it and almost always lets you down. And is also a perfect example of one of the reasons why Damon and Pascal's response, "‘Yeah, we are guilty of whitewashing. We all know only the Chinese defended the Wall against monsters when they attacked.’” Because even when it's about an actual historical figure Hollywood will still try find a way to whitewash it; POC don't get fantasy movies or historical movies unless a white person is there to save the day.

• Love 1

I really hope Disney has learned from its mistakes to the point where they not only avoid whitewashing Aladdin, but also avoid the Arabian sterotypes that got the original cartoon under such scrutiny in the first place. They do have people of POC in the Broadway musical version...

But I still don't know about this. Who are they going to replace Robin Williams with?!

• Love 3

There is some speculation that Disney might have purchased the spec script to keep another studio from getting their hands on it and producing their own live-action version of Mulan. I suppose I could understand that, but it still annoys me that two (presumably white) women wrote that script at all. 

ETA: There are two people who have been brought in to write a new script - I know one of them worked on Jurassic World - so it's likely that there will be drastic changes at least. I'll cross my fingers that this really is just a placeholder script and isn't meant as even a base guideline of what the live-action version will be about. 

We're forgetting the biggest crime of all: a white love interest presumably means that there'll be no Shang, which means no iconic "I'll Make a Man Out of You." (Although I guess they could have the white guy be the one to whip the army into shape.) And there is just no point to a Disney live-action version of Mulan if you're not going to have "I'll Make a Man Out of You." 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 4

Maybe I don't know enough about how Hollywood works but why would they need to buy a spec script of something that is undoubtedly public domain and that they'd already produced 20 years ago? Why would that prevent another studio from just writing another script about Mulan?

Edit: I just saw what SeanC said about other features, that would make sense.

Edited by JessePinkman

It's apparently common practice for studios to buy up spec scripts, both to stop competition or to incorporate small amounts of changes. It is a sad commentary that none of the big blogs reporting on the story could bother to include that bit of information, even though it's well known who the primary screenwriters for the live-action Mulan are (and that they're not the writers of the spec script). I don't blame people who read the articles for getting worked up, but I do blame the writers of the articles for misrepresenting the spec script as more significant than it is. 

See, this crap is why no one even considered giving Damon's movie the benefit of the doubt. Hollywood does not deserve it and almost always lets you down.

It's not a Hollywood movie. Zhang Yimou has explicitly said that it's not a white savior plot and that it is deeply rooted in Chinese culture. I've made this point in this thread before, but I'll go ahead and make it again: it's not about giving Hollywood the benefit of the doubt. It's about giving Zhang Yimou, the Chinese production crew, and the Chinese actors the benefit of the doubt. Or, at this point, actually listening to them instead of trying to score points by ignoring them (again, directed more at bloggers/journalists, not readers). Zhang Yimou, Jing Tian, and Junkai Wang were at the NYCC panel, too. Try finding articles that talk about what they said. (I'll do my part and link to this interview with Jing Tian: http://fandom.wikia.com/videos/nycc-jing-tian-great-wall-interview#ooid=1xY2hmNjE6-8HpmjYv7sKhHRwtT_TNR5  I'll admit that I didn't find it very interesting, though.) 

• Love 2

Hahahahahahah.  I just laugh now.  I mean no disrespect to anyone.  I just think Hollywood has broken me and all I can do is laugh.  I'm honestly finding it so funny.  I think I have become delirious.

AFM First Look: Jessica Chastain Remains by Sitting Bull's Side in 'Woman Walks Ahead' (Exclusive)

Susanna White directed the 19th-century period drama about an artist who moves from Brooklyn to the Standing Rock Reservation in the Dakotas to advise the Sioux chieftain.

Jessica Chastain is a Sitting Bull confidant in The Hollywood Reporter's exclusive first look at Woman Walks Ahead.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/woman-walks-first-look-jessica-chastain-afm-2016-943794?utm_source=twitter

• Love 3

I know this movie is supposed to be loosely based on true events, but really, Hollywood? The only way you'll tell a story about Native American people is if a white person is attached to the narrative?

• Love 7

Jesus.

A movie producer warned Mila Kunis' career would end if she refused to pose half-naked for a men's magazine, the A-list actress wrote in an open letter about sexism in Hollywood and society at large.

"You'll never work in this town again," the unidentified producer allegedly told the star of "Black Swan," "Ted," and "Friends With Benefits" after Kunis said she would not take off her clothes to promote a film.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/mila-kunis-exposes-hollywood-sexism-vows-stand-bias-n677196

Her actual letter is great:

http://aplus.com/a/mila-kunis-sexism-gender-bias-workplace-producer

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I wound up seeing King Cobra...

It was fun. It wasn't a masterpiece and it really rushed over a lot of things, but I wound up enjoying it. One thing I really liked about the movie was that it kind of points to the fact that Sean/Brent is really that first generation of gay men who didn't have to grown up in shame, and who were able to use the internet to find other guys like him. I'm the same age as Sean/Brent, and that's something I've always thought about when I talk to guys who are older. Even guys in their early 40's had different experiences than I did.

Also, on a shallow note, Christian Slater honestly looks the best he has in awhile. He looks like he got really good hair restoration work. His character is a slimeball, but I thought he looked attractive.

16 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It was fun. It wasn't a masterpiece and it really rushed over a lot of things, but I wound up enjoying it.

They glossed over a LOT.  The story of how Harlow and Joe were caught and their trials were a story in and of themselves.

I really did like it, although a few of the performances (particularly the guy who played Harlow) were a bit off.  And I can't quite decide how much I think Garrett Clayton looks like Brent.  Sometimes I saw it, other times I didn't.

I'm also not quite sure why they only changed one character's name.

I don't think Garrett really looks like Brent, but I loved how he played the character. He did a pretty good job at switching between wide-eyed innocence and calculating manipulation.

My favorite scenes were the ones between Brent and the beefy young stud guy, mainly because in those scenes, Brent was really just Sean, a horny young guy after a hot guy he really wanted to fuck.

Keegan Allen is a pretty bad actor and he's also a case of James Franco casting him because they're buddies in real life, but I was fine with how he played the character. But then again, this isn't a case I really followed so I'm not that attached to the real people behind it. The way I read Harlow is that he had this odd dis-attachment to the world, probably because he was abused. Everything's a performance and nothing is really real to him, just various roles he's playing. I did feel sad for him when he pushes the cheese and crackers on Brent, trying to play the role of the upper-class gay domesticated couple.

I did appreciate that they didn't really hold back with the gay physicality, within reason of keeping this R-rated and not NC-17. I get so tired of seeing movies where all the gay kissing/sex stuff is so timid or non-existent.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

So I saw Doctor Strange this weekend, coming out it it really began to bother me that Black Panther had to be introduced in a movie 2 good goddamn years before he gets a standalone movie while this white dude gets his own movie with no preamble. 

• Love 7

I remember reading in a Buzzfeed article that Marvel was most likely going to do a Black Panther film, and the Russos happened to be developing the Civil War script at the time and were like, "he'd be great in our film, can we put him in?" 

Oh found it. From the article:

Enter T’Challa, aka Black Panther, Marvel’s first black lead superhero. “At that point, Black Panther was a movie that Marvel probably wanted to do, and we were like, ‘Well, if you are going to do it, here’s why Black Panther would be really valuable in this movie [too],’” said Anthony. 

Edited by JustaPerson

I just had a hard time suspending my disbelief when people kept acting like Keegan's character was hot, because IMO the dude is fugly. But then again, what do I know about what gay guys find attractive? 

Garrett Clayton looks more like Zac Efron to me. 

There is a great, great, great Australian movie called Holding the Man on Netflix at least in the US right now.  

I've watched both Holding the Man and the documentary Remembering the Man. As much as I adore Ryan Corr (Silversun!), I liked the documentary more. The documentary uses a series of interviews that Tim gave for some sort of project/archive about living with AIDS; it was just really affecting to hear Tim's own voice narrate the movie. 

Edited by galax-arena

I just had a hard time suspending my disbelief when people kept acting like Keegan's character was hot, because IMO the dude is fugly. But then again, what do I know about what gay guys find attractive? 

I never though Harlow was all that hot.  Granted, they were people no one had heard of until after they killed Bryan Kocis, so maybe that colored it.  But the real Harlow was hotter than Keegan Allan.

Garrett Clayton looks more like Zac Efron to me. 

People actually used to say that Brent looked like Zac Efron.  It's harder to see now that Zac has become an HGH/steroid headcase, but it wasn't that weird back then.  Of course, and I'm a terrible person for saying this, the decade since the killing has not been particularly kind of Brent, either.

Well, as Steve said, twinks aren't exactly knowing for aging the best.

I figured Harlow was supposed to be a male version of butterface. His face is weird but his body is hot, so he's hot. It's like the gay guy I knew who drooled over Mike the Situation.

I kind of wish they had done a better job with re-creating the time period. Nothing was glaringly off, but I would have loved more mid-00's fashion here- more candy-colored polo shirts with matching flips and pretty madras shorts and shaggy hair.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 10/6/2016 at 9:48 AM, topanga said:

How does this happen? The upcoming Bruce Lee biopic is being accused of whitewashing. The movie features a fictional Caucasian side-kick who allegedly ends up having a more prominent role in the movie than Bruce Lee himself. 

I listen to Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Period podcast (it's great, btw) and they discussed this a couple of episodes ago (ep 95 with Chris Chalk maybe?) and someone suggested that someday there would be the story of Bill Gates, told through the eyes of Marcus the (black) janitor.  Someone even made a poster. 

• Love 10

Honestly, Harlow may just be my type.  Which makes me feel icky.

LOL. Well, I'm a lesbian so honestly no guy will be my type, but at least I can see what you'd see in Harlow based on the picture you posted. Keegan, though.... 

ETA: Wait, dude's wearing an Ed Hardy shirt? Never mind. starri, what's wrong with you?? 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2016 at 4:32 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

God, how old does an actor have to be before he "ages out"??

Paul friggin' Newman, one of the most talented, gorgeous actors who ever lived, had the decency to look in the mirror one day and think, "Huh, it's time for me to stop playing roles better suited to young bucks, and I should really  stop macking on chicks half my age"*. When the ever living hell is Tom Cruise going to follow suit? The idea that he's going to play the lead in a remake of The Mummy (instead of, y'know, the actual mummy) is just ludicrous! He's almost 25 years older than Brendan Fraser was when he first played the lead all those years ago!

I remember a 1995 episode of The Critic (yeah, I may not be young) that took place at the Oscars, and they were announcing the nomination for either Best Make-up or Best Special Effects, and the joke was, "Love Affair, for making Warren Beatty look like a young man". We then cut to Beatty in the audience, as a preposterously old geezer in a wheelchair saying, "That's me up there!" before his dentures fall out. The thing is, Beatty was 57 or 58 at this time, only a few years older than Cruise is now! 

*Ok, I know he didn't literally do this or think this, but he definitely settled into roles meant for older men. Good on him.

I thought Tom Hanks had done this in Sully (and looked GREAT with the grey hair and Sully look), but then I saw the posters of Inferno with him and his dyed hair and running around with Felicity Jones. I don't know if she's meant to be his love interest (probably isn't), but still. Otherwise, he does seem to be on the side of playing his age.

Denzel Washington is generally immune to age. I'm pretty sure he was playing younger in The Magnificent Seven, but he has done roles where he lets himself have grey hair. But his wives/love interests stay forever young.

The problem with Tom Cruise is that he knows it was his boyish cocky young buck charm that made him a star, and he just can't let go of that.

• Love 1

Very cool!  In the first trailer I saw for Edge of Seventeen, he piqued my interest and I wondered if he was a potential LI, but I haven't seen him in ANY trailer since then, so I figured I must have been wrong and, if anything, he was an Asian Sidekick.  Glad to know there's more to it than that (plus, Hailee Steinfeld is mixed!)

• Love 2

I thought Tom Hanks had done this in Sully (and looked GREAT with the grey hair and Sully look), but then I saw the posters of Inferno with him and his dyed hair and running around with Felicity Jones. I don't know if she's meant to be his love interest (probably isn't), but still. Otherwise, he does seem to be on the side of playing his age.

I don't know if it's a spoiler but Felicity Jones is not Tom Hanks' love interest in the movie.

Spoiler

His actual love interest is Sidse Babett Knudsen, who's definitely younger than Hanks but at 47 not one of the typical max. mid-thirties love interests.