Type keyword(s) to search

CSI: Cyber In The Media

Dude, I signed up to mod this show because Scott Bakula was the lead.  Now I realize that I confused this show with NCIS:  New Orleans.  HA!

http://tvline.com/2014/08/19/bow-wow-csi-cyber-cast-cbs-season-1/

Now they seem to have added the requisite Wesley Crusher character. Everybody get ready to shout 'SHUT UP... Baby Face' (yes, unfortunately, that's what they're naming him.)

This show seems to be making shit up on the fly.

Never a good thing.

I almost cringed at the idea of them making changes in freaking August, until I just saw that this is intended for mid-season (although I bet they could move it up if something else bombs first).

Today.com: 'CSI: Cyber': 10 real cybersecurity experts review the show (let's just say in summary... they found it totally ludicrous and insulting)

The Vulture: CSI: Cyber Is As Dumb As It Seems (I also put this in the episode thread a few days ago)

TV.com: 15 Lines of CSI: Cyber Dialogue That Will Scare Your Mom Off the Internet for Good (this has lines from the first three episodes, but nothing majorly spoilery)

NYTimes: Review: In ‘CSI: Cyber,’ CBS Digitizes the Forensics Formula (the Times seems very dimwitted and out of it that they DIDN'T give the show a bad review)

rogerebert.com:  BAD BEHAVIOR CONTINUES TV DOMINATION WITH “AMERICAN CRIME,” “CSI:CYBER,” “BROADCHURCH”

I like that last one so much, I'm gonna paste it down here to save you the click.

The same cannot be said for “CSI: Cyber,” which screams CBS procedural drama from scene one on Wednesday, March 4th at 10pm EST. This train wreck of a show often plays like a parody of bad crime drama that one would see within a Seth Rogen comedy, for example. From the very beginning, it’s laughably over-produced, as the camera zooms in on characters sitting at computer screens, trying to bring tension and excitement to the proceedings through camera and editing tricks. Only a “CSI” series would include four edits and a zoom when someone drinks a Big Gulp. The over-direction and over-production here does no favors for an over-talented cast, all of whom look like they wish they were somewhere else. I’m also just terminally exhausted by programs that fearmonger and use the exploitative hook of children in jeopardy for entertainment. “Stalker” is the worst show of ’14-15 only because it’s one of the worst shows EVER, but “CSI: Cyber” is in the conversation, and for similar reasons.
In the opening scene of “CSI: Cyber,” a baby is stolen right out of her crib and the panicked parents hear foreign voices on their baby monitor. It turns out that the monitor had been hacked. Why? And can our cyber division use the monitor to track down the kidnappers and find the child in time? Only Special Agent Avery Ryan (Patricia Arquette) can answer those questions with the help of her elite unit of tech-savvy super-sleuths (including James Van Der Beek and Shad Moss; Peter MacNicol plays her boss).
Again, so much of “CSI: Cyber” plays like a parody. Quick cut, zoom, techno score, cheesy dialogue—none of it resonates as believable or engaging. And it’s as if the writers know that, and so they keep their narrative going a hundred miles an hour. Multiple kidnappings, shootings, hacking, etc.—the thing is breathless by minute ten. And none of it makes any sense. This is criminally insulting to your intelligence, something they’re trying to disguise with editing and camera tricks, hoping viewers will be too exhausted to change the channel. Don’t be.

CSI:Cyber hit a new series low -- 1.2 in the 18-49 ratings, which is barely higher than the 1.1 rating that original flavor CSI (also a series low) had for its season finale back in February.  Not exactly the ratings juggernaut they expected for having an Academy Award-winning actress headlining.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/30/tv-ratings-wednesday-chicago-p-d-law-order-svu-rise-arrow-survivor-criminal-minds-csi-cyber-down-the-middle-up/396822/

But if there's nothing else I might watch so I can make fun of the show.  Only if there's nothing else on.

I'd say that it couldn't get any worse, but it likely will -- because the writers will assume what they have been doing so far is working just fine.

• Love 1

When I saw somebody's name fly by in tiny type during the closing credits I looked it up. I learned all about Mary Aiken, the real-life cyber psychologist who 'inspired' this show. Like the real Walter O'Brien on Scorpion, Aiken is involved as a producer on the show. Here's more info.

I was trying to explain to my daughter that a big reason Forever didn't get renewed was because crime shows with supernatural elements are a hard sell--and yet this show seems more supernatural than Forever.

• Love 3
When I saw somebody's name fly by in tiny type during the closing credits I looked it up. I learned all about Mary Aiken, the real-life cyber psychologist who 'inspired' this show. Like the real Walter O'Brien on Scorpion, Aiken is involved as a producer on the show. Here's more info.

From that article:

"As a producer on “CSI: Cyber,” Aiken is involved in all stages of the writing process, from initial brainstorming to revisions to the final script. Plots are inspired by contemporary criminal activity, with writers imagining future evolutions of past publicized cases."

So she also gets to share the blame for the terrible script writing since she is "involved".

• Love 1

I'm trying to figure out if the person who wrote this review was likely paid by CBS, was 13 years old, or both.

http://www.tvovermind.com/reviews/csi-cyber-season-1-episode-10-review-click-your-poison

Her summary of the episode went like this:

"All in all, it was another solid episode of CSI: Cyber. I enjoyed the little competition between Agent Krumitz and Brody Nelson when they were narrowing down the IP addresses to track down the cyber criminal. I laughed when Agent Krumitz told Nelson that the latter would be enjoying the three straight weekend shifts. Nelson was all “No way!” and Agent Krumitz was like “Yes way!” Those two are just hilarious to watch."

Did she even watch the episode or was this just a straight up written by CBS ?

• Love 1

I'm trying to figure out if the person who wrote this review was likely paid by CBS, was 13 years old, or both.

First line of her bio:

I am an aspiring writer with a unique imagination ...

So, 13.

• Love 3

For the next few years NBC shows will have "Chicago" in the title. ABC will have "Agents" and CBS "NCIS" as it transfers from CSI when Cyber is put to rest.

For the next few years NBC shows will have "Chicago" in the title. ABC will have "Agents" and CBS "NCIS" as it transfers from CSI when Cyber is put to rest.

Actually in CBS' case they just photocopied "Criminal Minds" (because CSI was played out and NCIS maybe wanted an off-year from cloning itself).

You know what I'd do if I was CBS and determined to keep replaying history? Reboot a new version of JAG as an NCIS sequel (since NCIS was itself a sequel of the original JAG). Total new cast, or maybe with David James Elliott now playing the obligatory "old guy" role.

• Love 2
CSI's Ted Danson will be moving to CSI CYBER

So, they're going to call D. B. in on a consult and he's just going to stay -- I guess they need someone else to do the non-cyber work since right now Raven is the only black hat/DNA tech they have (remember way back in Episode 2 when Raven donned a lab coat and did DNA analysis -- as all former Black Hats are known to do in their spare time) and she's been missing for nearly half the episodes.

Ouch. 'Creative reasons'. Code for - we're replacing you with someone who will bring the remaining fans of CSI: Mothership over to this show?

That's showbiz, but it's pretty harsh.

They're dumping Peter for Ted Danson?  Well, I didn't like him on CSI, so I won't tune in to watch him not act with PA.  It probably will give the show more hate-watch points, though.

Peter, you were too good for this show!

They seem to be claiming that Danson is NOT MacNicol's replacement--its just a timing coincidence.  The stated reason for MacNicol going is that they seem to have decided that it's just redundant for Avery to have a visible on-screen boss when she can just appear to be in charge herself.

Not that anything this show does really has to do with improving itself.  But that doesn't mean the showrunners don't THINK they might be doing something to improve the show.  They'd just be fooling themselves, that's all (since the show really is unsalvagable as anything other than a comedy anyway).

Well, the creative differences might have been his. It's not like the show bothered to do anything with his character.

Yes, I suspect the departure was his decision, or at most a mutual one. Can't hardly blame him for wanting to get out of this disaster while he can.

I'm having a hard time imagining how in the world they intend to integrate Ted Danson's character. I don't recall him having any kind of particular cyber expertise. Are they going to try to expand the show's universe to include more traditional crime scene science or…?

Ted Danson is leaving the show (https://www.yahoo.com/tv/ted-danson-exit-csi-cyber-1-season-174132863.html) though, to be honest, I never knew why he was shifted to the show in the first place.  Anyway, I haven't been watching CSI Cyber so I can't say I'll miss it (the episodes I tried to watch were not very interesting to me). 

Yeah the move was just another example of how clueless the producers are. Bringing over Ted Danson might have made sense if the problem with the show was casting, or if they had fixed all the problems from the first season and wanted to bring in viewers who had tuned out and CSI fans who hadn't checked it out. I'll never understand how anyone who has ever watched television, much less worked on it, could watch an episode and think that what needed to be fixed was Peter MacNicol's character, Bow Wow's suits, and just getting viewers to give it try. Not the scripts, no sir...

• Love 3

I'd be sad Danson is leaving if this show wasn't also so completely and utterly over.

I'll be sad that the CSI universe is dead, I'm sad that THIS show managed to be somehow even worse than Miami, a feat I never could have imagined, and (yes, I hate myself quite a bit for this) I also somehow kind of hope Danson and Arquette's characters get together at the end because as a couple I find them rather cute.

But really - what a total and utter wasted opportunity this show was.

• Love 3