Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Party Monster: Scratching the Surface

15 hours ago, amass said:

Was that really John Hamm on some 80s/90s dating show when he was younger? Pretty funny!

Yep. Actual footage of Jon Hamm. And I cracked up at him describing his hairstyle as a "Sweet butt-cut." Haven't heard that term since...well, since the 90s.

• Love 8

This episode was even more bizarre than this show usually is, due to the tonal shift and focus on rando side characters, but I thought it was really funny. Especially mocking how documentaries always show people driving somewhere. And despite all the driving around, the DJ still didn't have the answers!

• Love 8

That was prettu amazing. At first it was a little weird, but I liked that it had a purpose, and all the jokes about documentaries like this made me laugh. Especially the one about the airplane camera. Plus Titus as David Caruso was awesome.

• Love 9

As much as I am totally over the Reverend being brought back to be a pain in Kimmys neck, I loved the clips of 90s Jon Hamm on a dating show! That was amazing. 

I really liked all the jokes about documentaries, especially the slow motion, and everyone always driving, and getting out of cars! Also, one of the files the Mens Rights guy had was for Voldemort, Lord. I really want to read that file. 

"Sorry, I asked for a mirror, not a picture of an Irish witch."

• Love 17
On 30/05/2018 at 9:05 PM, amass said:

Was that really John Hamm on some 80s/90s dating show when he was younger? Pretty funny!

It's one of the greatest "before they were stars: dating edition" videos ever. 

• Love 6

OMG that clip of Jon Hamm on a dating show was hysterical. I had to come here to find out where it was from. At first I just thought it was something they filmed for the show with some young actor who kind of looked like him but as soon as they showed him in close-up I realized, it either had to be real footage of him or some fantastic CGI. 

I actually enjoyed this special little stand-alone episode. Jon Hamm rules.

• Love 3

This was a bit much of "let's make fun of those dumb mens rights activists, who we all know live in their moms basements and lump them together with Trumpers, rape apologists and women haters" for my taste, but ymmv.

The other parts were really funny though. In general this season is not quite on par with season 1 but close. Season 3 made me laugh exactly once. So that is a massive improvement.

On 31.5.2018 at 6:25 PM, Kostgard said:

Yep. Actual footage of Jon Hamm. And I cracked up at him describing his hairstyle as a "Sweet butt-cut." Haven't heard that term since...well, since the 90s.

For a moment I was wondering if they had sprung for the Ironman 3 de-aging CGI or if that was actual footage from back in the day with just the nametag digitally changed. Figured it would be the later. But that somehow makes it even more special.

(edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 10:54 PM, tennisgurl said:

Also, one of the files the Mens Rights guy had was for Voldemort, Lord. I really want to read that file. 

His picture of the original Ghostbusters also looked signed but it was just the word "signature" writtem three times in cursive script.

I also thought the name Tabbi Bobatti was hilarious.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 4
(edited)

I didn't like that so much of this episode was taken up by the "documentary."  I appreciate that they are still addressing the bunker, as it's not realistic that Kimmie could go through something like that and then just get over it and forget it completely, even though this show is an out-there comedy.  But I just didn't want to see "the Reverend" again and that airhead DJ guy making the documentary.  It went on too long.  The brief moments with the regulars were the only good part.

Edited by dubbel zout
originally in wrong thread; moved to correct one
  • Love 1

I didn't love this episode but it was enough for a few chuckles and was a knock towards some of the documentaries Netflix has (I have NO interest in Making of a Murderer.)  

It was Kimmy's "Fooping SHIT!"  was the shocker.  If she uttered a real curse worse, you know she's pissed off. 

• Love 2

I loved everything about this episode. They took a huge risk in completely changing the tone and format but it worked for me.

This season was written/shot in the shadow of the #MeToo movement and it only makes sense that the movement would play a central part in this show, given its premise. The Weinsteins, Roses, and Lauers of the world are planning their comebacks, so of course some Red Pill MAGA bros would look into some old cases like the Reverend's. Since this is the first half of the show's final season, I think it makes sense to loop it back around to where it all started.

I love Walter Bankston, it's great to see him outside the opening credits (which I NEVER skip so stop asking me to, Netflix!).

Every single bit of parody regarding documentaries, especially Netflix ones, was spot on. I feel like this episode could benefit from multiple rewatches, just to see all the little details I missed.

• Love 16

I liked Doug the first time we saw him as the pet masseur but I wasn't into this episode. I assume this will lead up to the final showdown for Kimmy/the Rev (although I don't see Jon Hamm listed in any other episodes) which I am not looking forward to. I hate the Reverend character so having him be the focus while the characters I do like sidelined was not fun for me. I appreciate the way it mirrored many other documentaries (and the Titus cut aways were funny) but this is not one I will rewatch.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'mma let you finish, but this was one of the best episodes of Kimmy Schmidt ever. I just about died of laughter when they showed the Jon Hamm dating show footage (which I assume was also a reference to Rodney Alcala's appearance on The Dating Game). And when Titus' stock footage work turned out to be for this documentary. I watch a ton of documentaries and true crime stuff so that's probably why I appreciated this episode so much.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 10