Type keyword(s) to search

Flight Logs: Manifest in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ok try this again.. the music on this trailer is clearly ripped off from GOT. At the end I can envision Dragon flapping his wings.

Edited by BooBear

NBC has released the first 9 minutes of the premiere (tweeted and youtube vids below)...

Manifest - The First Act (Sneak Peek)
Published on Aug 28, 2018, by Universal Pictures

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I’m excited for the show because I generally like high-concept genre pieces, and the first nine minutes are intriguing (we know from other trailers that the doctor’s research is going to be a big storyline in the present day, so I’m thinking all the data she just lost or “lost” on her laptop is going to be important later on, just as one example). Lots of seeds they could follow up on. But I hope they have more planned for the lead than Tough Lady Cop With Commitment Issues Who Feels Guilty for ~The Accident. That’s just so generic (and last year’s The Gifted shows what generic, flat characterization can do to a show with a good concept). And I’ll echo other comments here that this is a show that absolutely needs to have a defined endgame already fleshed out.

That said, I’m totally in because I loved Josh Dallas in OUAT and this kind of show is my JAM.

• Love 6

Interesting. I honestly think shorter runs will be good for Manifest and don't think it signals a lack of faith, because as of right now I can't imagine it not coming back next season--it's currently NBC's #2 show (#1 new show). But any series premised around a central mystery definitely has a shelf life, and we all know the shows that have twisted themselves into knots trying to extend the mystery to keep the show going. Especially since these writers are...not the best...shorter seasons are probably better.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

They planned on 13 episodes.  With a full-season order, a show would normally start a new arc or build on/bring in a new element.  But what exactly can you do in 3 episodes?   

I've also heard that they ordered fewer episodes, so there would be less of a lag time to air to avoid a hiatus.

With a show where it's more of a journey, where I enjoy the "world" whether or not the plot is advanced, I prefer 22 episodes since filler is more fun times in that world.  But this show is not like that.  More episodes would basically be more save-the-random-person-connected-with-the-flight.  So I don't mind there will be fewer episodes.  But I still side-eye how much can be accomplished in 3 episodes, unless they have a very specific endpoint for Season 1 and they didn't need too much time to get to that endpoint.

8 hours ago, Camera One said:

More episodes would basically be more save-the-random-person-connected-with-the-flight.  So I don't mind there will be fewer episodes.  But I still side-eye how much can be accomplished in 3 episodes

Sounds like "3 more episodes" = 3 more COTWs

• Love 1

Just posting a few interviews I read so it's in one place in case I want to look them up again.

This was the interview from Oct 8 where showrunner Jeff Rake said he had a 6-year plan for the show.  In this interview, he referred to a big reveal in Episode 22 of Season 1.  So I don't know if he actually wanted 16 episodes in Season 1 as NBC claims.  

This interview has some teasers/spoilers for this season based on Jeff Rake's plan for the show.  He described the timeline as compressed.  The way he spoke implied it was quite deliberate.

This interview reveals when we will find out the answer to the central mystery.  You might not want to know this one.

Spoiler

Question: And just to clarify, the mystery of where they were and what happened during the five years the flight disappeared will be revealed at end of series?

Answer: That's what we're going to hold on to until the very end of series. That will be a very slow burn as we spend most of series focusing on other aspects of these people's lives.

Edited by Camera One
3 hours ago, Camera One said:

This interview reveals when we will find out the answer to the central mystery.  You might not want to know this one.

Hide contents

Question: And just to clarify, the mystery of where they were and what happened during the five years the flight disappeared will be revealed at end of series?

Answer: That's what we're going to hold on to until the very end of series. That will be a very slow burn as we spend most of series focusing on other aspects of these people's lives.

So it's

Spoiler

Lost all over again

• Love 2

I came across a Manifest VIEWER'S GUIDE website. It has a lot of information on it. Each episode's scripts are posted broken down by scenes. It has timelines for the characters and a detailed glossary.

Manifest Episode 106 Script - Off Radar

Flight 828 Timeline - everything that has happened in chronological order with links to the episode scenes

The Manifest TV Series Glossary - Recent entries include

There is even a section to listen and view songs that played in episodes.

27 minutes ago, Superclam said:

DAMN IT!!! You beat me by 2 seconds!! I wanted to be top nerd!! 

Eat my dust, ya turtle!  Just messing with you. Is my reward "Top Nerd"?  I can delete my post and allow your post to be the news bearer. But I won't.  😛

• LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I really have to think about whether or not I'm going to watch Season 2

How can you give up the very real possibility of some serious snarking about Grace, Jared, Zeke, & Danny?  They are the low-hanging fruit of "Manifest". Not to mention "Brows" near death cliff hangar.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

An underwhelming yay,  I guess.   Basically renewed because they haven't got much else going on.

Here's the funniest thing from that linked article:
"“In just its first season, Manifest has answered many questions about the mystery of Flight 828 and, smartly, asks many more,” said Lisa Katz and Tracey Pakosta, co-presidents of scripted programming at NBC. "

I don't think the co-presidents of scripted programming at NBC understand the meaning of the word "many".   They didn't answer any questions in Season 1.  Dark lightning. The Callings. The Major. The NSA. The secret company testing the 828ers. Why the flight disappeared.  What Cal saw on the flight. There were answers to none of that.

And now I feel better, having snarked the press release of the renewal -- of course they should have announced this on April 7, the anniversary of when Flight 828 disappeared.  Just saying.

• Love 4

OttoDbusdriver,  are you the poster who was questioning the lack of snow on the ground during what should have been December weather in New York? 

if so,  then that's another of the "many" questions left unanswered.  

5 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

OttoDbusdriver,  are you the poster who was questioning the lack of snow on the ground during what should have been December weather in New York? 

if so,  then that's another of the "many" questions left unanswered.  

That was me.

Honestly, I'll be debating about watching season 2 for the next few months. I know it's just going to be more convoluted story lines, inconsistent "science", characters that come in and then disappear, and no real resolution as to what's causing all this. 

I think it depends more on what being shown against it. 

34 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Casting news for S2 with very mild spoilers about what their roles will be.

I'm surprised at my own reaction to this.

I had forgotten the show existed, LOL, but find myself eager to read spoilers about a show that I don't care about very much  (or else I would avoid spoilers) and looking forward to the good ol' hate-watch, snark fest fun.

Like:

SPOILER

Additionally, Garrett Wareing ...as TJ, a college freshman (at Astoria U. perhaps?) who had been a passenger on Flight 828, but after the five-year time “loss” is feeling a bit left out. Watch for Ben to take the discombobulated lad under his wing.

Hee! Especially:

Spoiler

Watch for Ben to take the discombobulated lad under his wing.

So many ways this can fail so wonderfully stupidly!

In other news, I saw Prince Charming's wife, Ginnifer Goodwin in the pilot of Why Women Kill, and I think it's great that she has the meatier role in the family. Makes me think of the "you've come a long way, baby" feminist Virginia Slims cigarette ads of the smokey 20th century, although I will always love the image of chivalrous Josh Dallas in the pilot of Once upon A Time, fending off the evil villain with a sword in one hand while protectively holding his baby daughter with his other arm.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm surprised at my own reaction to this.

I had forgotten the show existed, LOL, but find myself eager to read spoilers about a show that I don't care about very much  (or else I would avoid spoilers) and looking forward to the good ol' hate-watch, snark fest fun.

Like:

Hee! Especially:

Reveal spoiler

Watch for Ben to take the discombobulated lad under his wing.

So many ways this can fail so wonderfully stupidly!

In other news, I saw Prince Charming's wife, Ginnifer Goodwin in the pilot of Why Women Kill, and I think it's great that she has the meatier role in the family. Makes me think of the "you've come a long way, baby" feminist Virginia Slims cigarette ads of the smokey 20th century, although I will always love the image of chivalrous Josh Dallas in the pilot of Once upon A Time, fending off the evil villain with a sword in one hand while protectively holding his baby daughter with his other arm.

When you responded to me in another thread, I was trying to remember the name of this show, because it was the last thing I remembered seeing you talk about, that I had also watched. 🙂 I only remembered, because I saw this highlighted on my front page. I don't know if I'm up to even hate-watch this time. I can't believe it's almost time for season two. 

• Love 1
On 8/21/2019 at 5:02 PM, jhlipton said:

re Yasha Jackson: casting a Black Woman in an SF/fantasy show?  Don't they know that it's Just Not Done??

I wonder if she'll eventually replace that Gasbag Grace, as Ben's love interest.  If so, that knocks out my favorite doctor/passenger.

Nobody seems to be looking forward to see who got shot?  We all figured it wouldn't be Brows, but looking at the direction the gun was pointed and Brows made her dramatic entrance pretty much an open Target for a stray bullet, Brows may be due some hospital time. Probably have ex and best friend fight over visiting privileges.

Edited by Jacks-Son
Riveting Storyline. /s
(edited)

I guess I'll be "laugh" watching this show.  My expectations are so low for this show that I think I am able to just enjoy it for how idiotic it is.

There are some shows that I continue to watch even though I dislike watching it, mainly because I'm a complete-ist, especially if I've watched for 3-4 years and don't want to quit.  Some of those shows I might like one character but literally hate all the other characters.  I think that would be the true "hate" watch for me.

I actually don't hate any of the characters on "Manifest", not really.   

Then, there are shows that I "angry" watch or "frustrate" watch because I loved the show and the characters early on, and the show is ignoring or destroying all the potential, but I am still invested and expect more about of it. 

That doesn't fit "Manifest" either.  I think it's a total rip-off of shows like "Lost", which was imperfect but was much more creative and ambitious.  On "Manifest", I have no faith or even care if all the pieces fall together.

In all three of the cases above, I think having a forum where people point out dumb problems with the show can make a show worth watching, and that applies for this show too.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I will be “hate” watching for the post-show snark fun

4 hours ago, Camera One said:

I  guess I'll be "laugh" watching this show….  
I actually don't hate any of the characters on "Manifest", not really…

Yeah, actually, I guess I mostly “snort” watch the show.