Type keyword(s) to search

Flight Logs: Manifest in the Media

• Start Topic

On 2/4/2021 at 2:25 PM, DanaK said:

Manifest will premiere its 3rd season on Thursday, April 1 at 8pm http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/02/04/nbcs-law-and-order-organized-crime-hits-the-streets-thursday-april-1-as-part-of-historic-crossover-with-law-and-order-svu-208415/20210204nbc02/

I guess if they go with 13 episodes, this season is going into Summer

The 3rd Season premiere is on April 1st, so maybe Michaela will wake up in a shower and discover it was all a dream.

• LOL 3

This year's WonderCon@Home, March 26-27, 2021, includes a Manifest panel...

Full Schedule: https://www.comic-con.org/wca/2021/athome/complete-programming

Saturday, March 27, 2021
4:00pm - 5:00pm    Manifest Season 3 Sneak Peek and Q&A

NBC’s hit series returns for a third season of action-packed drama, shocking revelations, and the answer to the show’s biggest mystery—what happened to the passengers of Flight 828? Over a year has passed since the miraculous homecoming of Flight 828 and the discovery of others who have mysteriously returned. While the Stone family struggles to keep their friends safe and make their enemies believe the unbelievable, new challenges will test their trust of the callings and each other. But sticking together is more important than ever because no matter what happens, it’s all connected. Series stars Melissa Roxburgh, Josh Dallas, Athena Karkanis, J.R. Ramirez, Luna Blaise, Jack Messina, Parveen Kaur, Matt Long, and Holly Taylor alongside executive producer/showrunner Jeff Rake, chat with TVLine.com’s editor-in-chief, Matt Mitovich, along with an exclusive sneak peek at the first five minutes of the season premiere! From executive producers Jeff Rake, Jack Rapke, Jackie Levine, Len Goldstein, and Robert Zemeckis, Manifest is produced by Compari Entertainment and Jeff Rake Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television and Universal Television. Don’t miss Manifest’s third season premiere on Thursday, April 1 at 8/7c on NBC!

Edited by tv echo

‘Manifest’ Showrunner Jeff Rake and Star Parveen Kaur on Season 3’s Wild Turns
Meredith Jacobs    March 11, 2021
https://www.tvinsider.com/990828/manifest-season-3-saanvi-death-date-parveen-kaur-preview/

When Manifest ended Season 2 with Zeke (Matt Long) survived his death date — for all of those who’ve returned, like the passengers from Flight 828, they’re back for as long as they’d been gone — it opened up the possibility that they could beat it.

Zeke had followed the mysterious Callings — the hallucinatory messages that lead the returned to help others — and this has put passengers Ben (Josh Dallas) and his sister (and Zeke’s wife) Michaela (Melissa Roxburgh) “in a somewhat optimistic place” at the beginning of Season 3, showrunner Jeff Rake says. (It premieres April 1.) “If we all follow the Callings, perhaps that means we can live too,” he says of their thinking. “It becomes about trying to spread the word to the passengers.”

But because this is Manifest, he warns, expect a twist: “They’re going to discover halfway through the season that it’s more complicated than that.”

As for fellow 828er (and doctor) Saanvi (Parveen Kaur), she doesn’t share their optimism. She’s too “burdened” by everything going on in her life, Rake says of the doctor, who, in Season 2, used science to cure herself of her Callings.

“[Saanvi] is stuck and desperately in search of her path to redemption if there is one,” the showrunner says.

But has she damned more than just herself? “She thought it was just going to be her, then we find out there might be repercussions and consequences for all of us,” Kaur teases.

She also says that Saanvi, after accidentally killing the Big Bad Major (Elizabeth Marvel), “is in this perpetual state of looking over her shoulder.” So, in Season 3, with “everything she does, every advancement she makes, there’s this looming threat that at some point, someone is going to find out and take her away and she’s going to go to prison. How am I going to be able to be of any use once that happens? It’s putting an urgency to her having to figure this out.”
That’s on top of her still processing what she did, since only three months have passed. “She’s terrified,” the star continues. “That’s a big secret and a big weight to carry.”

And what makes it worse, Rake points out, is she only has Vance (Daryl Edwards), an ally the 828ers met when he was with the NSA, investigating their return, to talk to about this. No one else knows. “It’s such an oppressive burden that it raises the stakes right off the top,” he says. “Halfway through the season, we come to have an even clearer understanding about why the passengers are back and whether or not they will be able to survive the death date that we’ve been following since the end of Season 1.

What Saanvi comes to deduce when this greater clarity comes out,” he continues, “is the fact she has been guilty of this terrible act could have implications not only on her own destiny but on the destiny of others around her. That ends up driving Saanvi’s agenda for the back half of the season.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Unfortunately the tailfin doesn't actually say Flight 828 or any other identifying markers, so are they sure it's from their plane ?

And the tailfin is beckoning to Ben -- is he sure the tailfin isn't 'calling' to him ?  :)

And what about the fact that the 'silver dragon' appears to have traveled through time -- are they just going to ignore that little timey-wimey tidbit ?

Oh yeah, Zeke got a mulligan on the death date -- forgot about that.

Why is it so shocking that they re-assembled the plane after the fire/explosion ? 
They frequently do that after plane crashes, it doesn't mean that the plane is magical.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

yay?

I'm equally underwhelmed that this show is back.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Unfortunately the tailfin doesn't actually say Flight 828 or any other identifying markers, so are they sure it's from their plane ?

And the tailfin is beckoning to Ben -- is he sure the tailfin isn't 'calling' to him ?  🙂

Wait. What? Tailfin? Does this mean the "Tailies" from Lost are going to show up?

Hmm - Jared didn't seem to show much loyalty to his wife...

Manifest's J.R. Ramirez Talks Jared's Loyalty, Feelings For Michaela And More In Season 3
LAURA HURLEY   MAR. 26. 2021 
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2564958/manifest-jr-ramirez-jared-loyalty-feelings-for-michaela-season-3

The long-awaited return of Manifest is almost here, and the Season 3 premiere of the NBC series will air nearly a full year after the Season 2 finale. While the six-year plan for the series means that the first episode back surely won't be an hour packed with all the answers to all the questions of the show so far, one Manifest star recently spoke with CinemaBlend to preview what's on the way, and it's already clear that there's a lot for fans to be excited about.

J.R. Ramirez, who plays Jared Vasquez on Manifest, has a complex task to tackle playing a character who doesn't receive any Callings to directly connect him to the mythology of the series, but fights the good fight as a cop anyway, complete with his strong feelings for Michaela. Speaking with CinemaBlend, Ramirez explained his approach to playing Jared in the challenges that he'll face in Season 3:

"I find one of Jared's biggest traits is his loyalty. He's an extremely loyal human being. He's had to go through unimaginable circumstances just like Grace and Olive did. His loved ones come back out of nowhere. Five and a half years is a very long time. So, he's shown that Michaela, regardless of having to stand by and not be able to have that deep connection with the woman he loves, not only that but he had to sit there and watch her get married to another man that just came out of nowhere. It just shows the loyalty that this man has, the compassion and heart that he has."
Of course, now that Zeke survived his death date in saving Cal, Jared is going to have to deal with Michaela and Zeke's marriage moving forward. Not that he was hoping for Zeke's death, of course! J.R. Ramirez elaborated on the importance of loyalty to Jared in Season 3, directly connected to his feelings for Michaela:

"One of the things that I like to think about myself is loyalty means everything to me. And my relationships and my friendships and with my family, and I just try to give it as much heart as I possibly can. So yeah, that's one of the main things that I found in Jared, and you'll see a lot of that this year as well, with the arc of having to have some sort of very, very awkward friendship between Michaela and Zeke and Jared this year and there's a lot of, I guess patience, that happens."

Edited by tv echo

Manifest Season 3 Sneak Peek and Q&A | WonderCon@Home 2021
Comic-Con International    Mar 27, 2021

NBC’s hit series returns for a third season of action-packed drama, shocking revelations, and the answer to the show’s biggest mystery—what happened to the passengers of Flight 828? Over a year has passed since the miraculous homecoming of Flight 828 and the discovery of others who have mysteriously returned. While the Stone family struggles to keep their friends safe and make their enemies believe the unbelievable, new challenges will test their trust of the callings and each other. But sticking together is more important than ever because no matter what happens, it’s all connected. Series stars Melissa Roxburgh, Josh Dallas, Athena Karkanis, J.R. Ramirez, Luna Blaise, Jack Messina, Parveen Kaur, Matt Long, and Holly Taylor alongside executive producer/showrunner Jeff Rake, chat with TVLine.com’s editor-in-chief, Matt Mitovich, along with an exclusive sneak peek at the first five minutes of the season premiere! From executive producers Jeff Rake, Jack Rapke, Jackie Levine, Len Goldstein, and Robert Zemeckis, Manifest is produced by Compari Entertainment and Jeff Rake Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television and Universal Television. Don’t miss Manifest’s third season premiere on Thursday, April 1 at 8/7c on NBC!

Related article:
Manifest Season 3: Watch the First 5 Minutes, in Which Ben Prowls Cuba and Mick's Honeymoon Is Interrupted
By Matt Webb Mitovich / March 27 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/03/27/manifest-season-3-watch-the-first-5-minutes/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 3/27/2021 at 7:26 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Uh, yeah about that.  Not so much.

I was actually thinking about paying closer attention to this, to determine if I wanted to get into the series - only watched the first 1.5-2 episodes shortly after they debuted, so far - just because it seems like they might finally be getting somewhere in terms of providing a solid direction, if not answers, to the "mystery".  But it seems like quite a few of you all who have actually watched the whole series are not completely enthused that the show is back, or that it didn't get cancelled period.

And have to be honest, the seemingly theological premise is a turn-off as well, and has been since the beginning.  If I want religion, I'll read/watch/attend specific things for it, not watching a primetime TV series that has more of a sci-fi lean to it.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
(edited)

TV Ratings: Manifest Eyes Low, Mom Hits 8-Week High With Series Finale
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 14 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/05/14/tv-ratings-mom-season-8-series-finale-cbs/

In the latest TV show ratings, NBC “bubble” drama Manifest this Thursday drew 2.9 million total viewers and a 0.4 rating, dipping in the demo to mark a series low.

Arrow Had a Sunny Beachfront? Was Prodigal Son Kiss Amiss? Where Is MIA Benson/Stabler Scene?! More TV Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso, Mekeisha Madden Toby and Keisha Hatchett / May 14 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/05/14/prodigal-son-bright-dani-kiss-tv-questions-answers/ 

23 | Is it us, or are 75 percent of Manifest scenes now viewed through/distorted by/interrupted by some sort of CallingVision?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 4/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Camera One said:

Variety makes predictions about which shows on the bubble will be renewed or cancelled:  They have "Manifest" in the "Looking Good" category.

I don't think so. NBC has announced renewals already, including the god-awful SVU and SVU Organized Crime, but not Manifest. My guess is they just don't want to announce it's cancelation until after the Season Finale.

Edited by chlban
(edited)

NBC Executives On Fate Of ‘Good Girl’s, ‘Zoey’s’, ‘Manifest’, ‘Debris’ & ‘Ellen’s Game of Games’: “All Options Are Going To Be On The Table”
By Alexandra Del Rosario    May 14, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/05/nbc-executives-fate-good-girls-zoeys-manifest-debris-ellens-game-of-games-1234756437/ 

With a matter of days before NBCUniversal’s virtual upfront presentation on Monday, Good Girls, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, Manifest, Debris and Ellen’s Game Of Games have yet to learn about their fate.

The five titles, four of which have been included on Deadline’s NBC bubble shows radar, were left out of a slew of announcements about returning series and new shows. NBC executive Susan Rovner explained why the network has not yet decided where the shows will land.

“We are not going to make our decisions yet on those shows. Some of them are still airing we want to give all our shows an opportunity to finish airing before we make those decisions,” she told Deadline’s Peter White. “We don’t know the exact timing yet, but we’re not making decisions yet on those shows.”
Because of the pandemic-delayed Season 2020-21 start, that also shifted the traditional midseason window, some of the five series might not learn their fates until after the upfronts. Rovner explained that executives “want to give the shows as much information as possible”  in order to “make the most informed decision we can.” When asked about potentially moving the undecided titles to Peacock or other streaming platforms, Rovner said that “everything will be discussed.”

“All options are going to be on the table. Everything will be discussed and I think that’s one of the benefits of this new structure that those conversations can now happen and we could look at what’s best for the show,” she said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I am giving it a 50-50 chance.  I am guessing it has always been in the mid-season premiere category, so I don't think it being included in the initial press release a necessary death sentence.  Sounds like they are playing musical chairs with a handful of series and are deciding who does not get a seat next season.

• Love 2
(edited)

Athena Karkanis (Grace Stone) did a virtual con panel with Imagine@Home on May 22 (yesterday). A French based media outlet tweeted some of her comments from this panel. I've posted a few of their tweets below...

Mildly spoilerish (but not surprising) comment:

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1

Ratings: Clarice Returns Low; Grey's and Station 19 Finales Lead Thursday
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 4 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/06/04/tv-ratings-greys-anatomy-season-17-finale/ 

NBC | On-the-bubble Manifest (2.7 mil/0.4) dipped to a new audience low while steady in the demo. Law & Order: SVU (4.1 mil/0.7, reader grade “A”; read recap) and Organized Crime (3.9 mil/0.6, reader grade “A-“; read recap) were steady in the demo with their season finales.

I just hope when the time comes, if they aren't allowed to play out the 6 season story they supposedly have planned, that NBC makes the decision at minimum before the last half of that season is filmed. I'm a little tired of writers having to write season finales as potential series finales, or worse, having it dropped on them and having to rush and try and retool a routine season finale as a series finale (*cough*MacGyver*cough*).

• Love 2
(edited)

'Manifest’ Cast on That Major Death & Cal Shocker in the Season 3 Finale (VIDEO)
Meredith Jacobs    June 10, 2021
https://www.tvinsider.com/1001678/manifest-season-3-finale-angelina-kills-grace-older-cal/ 

If you were shocked by what happened to Grace, you weren’t the only ones. The rest of the cast was as well, and that’s due to Karkanis. “When Athena and I talked about it, we said to each other, ‘Should we tell the other actors?'” Rake recalls. He left it up to Karkanis, who said, “No, absolutely. We have to keep it to ourselves and let them be shocked when they turn the page.”

Ben still has to find out about Grace’s death; at the end of the finale, he only suspects something has happened due to a Calling. It’s “the most fundamental, life-altering, devastating thing that could happen to [Ben],” the creator says. “A Season 4 of Manifest for Ben is absolutely centered around processing, digesting, coming to emotional terms with such an unspeakable loss, and then trying to find a way to seek vengeance, to kind of justify the act in terms of finding some meaning out of it.

“Why did this happen? Why would the Callings allow something so terrible and devastating to happen? And of course, it’s tied into so much other complicated stuff. The baby was taken. Cal came back all growing up. … So you can imagine Ben in Season 4 seeking vengeance for his wife, seeking meaning for the inexplicable, and it becomes the absolute driving force for his character not only in Season 4 but in the back half of the series.”
Speaking of the inexplicable, there’s the matter of where Cal was after he disappeared near the end of Season 3 before returning, having aged. “It’s for Ben and the others to figure out where he’s been, why he was there, what happened there,” Rake says. The sacrifice he made in giving up those years is one “he’s made for everyone in the world,” not just his family and the other passengers.

But one person who didn’t really need an explanation was his mother. If you thought Grace didn’t look as shocked as she should have been by the new Cal, that was by design. “A mother knows her child,” Karkanis says. “Also it would have been wrong to play that moment as, ‘Oh my God, Cal, look at you, you’re so tall now!'”
That was also true of the family’s reunion in the pilot when Ben and Cal returned after 828 disappeared for five and a half years. “That moment was so important because it made the audience realize that we can love these characters through her because of her love running towards us and her emotions that were coming out towards those characters,” Dallas says. “It made the audience just lock in and realize the significance of them being in a way and how important those characters were to her character.”

Rake agrees, adding, “Athena basically broke her arm and still managed to give that unbelievably powerful performance. She, in that moment, and in so many moments, perfectly captured the power and the pain of every mother, every wife, every woman, and her ability to channel that emotional state again and again and again is why the audience is so deeply in love with Grace as a character and with Athena as an actress. And it’s why I’m sure people are tearing their hair out all over the world right now having seen what happened to Grace in that Season 3 finale. And for that, I’m sorry, folks.”

What the creator wants to make sure fans know is that they “did not make this decision [to kill off Grace] lightly,” he says. “There’s nothing flip about this. There’s nothing manipulative about this. There’s nothing spiteful about this. This was part of our story, and her significance in Manifest remains as strong as ever. Her character lives on through Cal, through Olive, through baby Eden, and of course through Ben as he tries to carry on without her.” And yes, the door is open to possibly see her again.

“There could be a spooky haunting!” Karkanis suggests.

(TV Insider)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP_NUaUpPAj/ 

reallyjeffrake Endless love, affection and gratitude to the exquisite Athena Karkanis. You gifted us weekly with humanity, authenticity, and complexity. I’m humbled by your selflessness and your partnership. Thank you always.

Should Loki Have 'Revived' Coulson? Did Legends Tease Wynonna Good? Did Pose Jump the Gun? And More TV Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso, Mekeisha Madden Toby and Charlie Mason / June 11 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/06/11/should-loki-have-mentioned-agents-of-shield-coulson-is-alive-tv-questions/ 

22 | Did Manifest proactively pretape the “bleeding plane” flashback back when Josh Dallas’ hair was short? (Or did they shoot it after the season wrapped/he got a trim?) How hard did your eyes roll when a 5-second look at YouTube taught Olive how to jimmy an ankle monitor? Why did Cal not seem interested in compressing his mother’s stab wound and/or calling 911? (Is her death what he meant in the airplane calling by weeping, “This is the way it has to be”?)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

… https://tvline.com/2021/06/11/should-loki-have-mentioned-agents-of-shield-coulson-is-alive-tv-questions/

…Why did Cal not seem interested in compressing his mother’s stab wound and/or calling 911? (Is her death what he meant in the airplane calling by weeping, “This is the way it has to be”?)…

And now we have another reason why Rapidly Aging Child is never a good sci-fi plot device. Since Cal never had a chance to watch crime mysteries or doctor shows on TV, he didn’t know to apply pressure to the knife wound. 
Or maybe he recognized that the artery was cut?

(edited)

‘Ratings: Rebel Goes Low With Series Finale, On-the-Bubble Manifest Flat
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 11 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/06/11/ratings-rebel-series-finale-manifest-renewed-or-cancelled-season-4/ 

Over on NBC, bubble drama Manifest drew 2.8 mil/0.4 with its first hour, followed by 2.6 mil/0.4 for Part 2 of the Season 3 finale — both tying last week’s series lows in the demo and the latter marking an audience low. TVLine readers gave the finale as well as all of Season 3 an average grade of “A-“; read recap.

Performer of the Week: Jean Smart
By Team TVLine / June 12 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/06/12/jean-smart-hacks-performance-season-1-finale/ 

HONORABLE MENTION | With so much of Manifest‘s two-part finale revolving around young Cal’s mysterious fate, we needed to feel every bit of his parents’ trauma — and with the performances by Athena Karkanis and Josh Dallas, we surely did. When Cal vanished into thin air at Eureka, even though the Stones surely have seen it all by now, Karkanis went all in on Grace’s shock and despair, to the point that we shared the pit in her stomach. Likewise, when all that stood between Ben and maybe getting Cal back was a by-the-book Coast Guard captain, Dallas made a father’s impassioned pleas felt so real amid this surreal storyline. It’s hard to be relatable under extraordinary circumstances, but Karkanis and Dallas combined for quite the emotional one-two punch.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Manifest is currently #2 on Netflix's list of Top 10 TV Series in the United States, which should help offset its low live ratings...

Top 10 Movies & TV Series on Netflix Around the World
Last updated: June 13th, 2021
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/most-popular/

1.  Sweet Tooth
2.  Manifest
3.  Lupin
4.  CoComelon
5.  Lucifer
6.  L.A.'s Finest
7.  Dirty John
8.  Fresh, Fried & Crispy
9.  Alone
10. Kim's Convenience

ETA: Manifest subsequently moved up to #1.

Edited by tv echo
6 minutes ago, chlban said:

Why does everyone seem to assume Grace will stay dead? Plenty of others on this show don't?

Exactly !!

Zeke -- dead, then not dead, then bypassed the death date
Pilot -- everyone thought was dead when he flew into the dark lightning with Fiona, turns out not so much but we have no idea where he is now (let alone where Fiona is -- dead/live ?)
Vance -- everyone thought was dead, turns out he faked his own death, and is "back" working for the CIA
3 meth heads -- dead in the lake, then back from the dead because of the dark lightning, then dead again because of the death date

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, chlban said:

Why does everyone seem to assume Grace will stay dead? Plenty of others on this show don't?

1 minute ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Pilot -- everyone thought was dead when he flew into the dark lightning with Fiona, turns out not so much but we have no idea where he is now (let alone where Fiona is -- dead/live ?)
Vance -- everyone thought was dead, turns out he faked his own death, and is "back" working for the CIA
3 meth heads -- dead in the lake, then back from the dead because of the dark lightning, then dead again because of the death date

It is interesting that the reviewers all seem to make the assumption that Grace is dead-dead.
Maybe the reviewers aren't regular watchers, just people hired to watch and review that episode?

• Love 1

I know the showrunner claims everything was planned from the start, but I wonder if a condition of renewal is trimming the cast.  Not having to work around a child actor could also have savings.  I think one of the reasons why Grace's death feels permanent is that type of supporting character is often used as cannon fodder to give a show cred with "stakes".  Plus she and Cal were shuffled off to a side storyline in the woods for half a season, so they were clearly not sure what to do with her.  I'm surprised they didn't do a double shocker and have Zeke shot during the Vance's son hostage situation, since he's another character they don't know what to do with.  Then Ben and Michaela could be equally desperate and high-strung, and spend the next season insisting they need to find the Tail Fin and bring it back on land again, to reverse the deaths and 13 episodes later, Eureka (again).

9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Exactly !!

The difference though is all of those save Vance seemed to encounter this dark lightning. Didn't they say early on that Zeke's cave was in the area of the same kind of storm the pilot flew into? And the meth heads' lake was also struck by the lightning. Vance is a highly trained covert operative. He very much would have the knowledge and pull to take his death. None of this applies to Grace. Now if she had been shot by a stolen lightning generator, kind of like how Cal was, then yes, I'd be skeptical too. But I don't think anyone that's returned to life has been killed by "conventional" means without some other influence (like the meth heads).

• Love 4
(edited)

Manifest creator Jeff Rake's quote below is from the cast video that's included in the linked TVInsider article (and also posted in this thread above)...

Why Manifest Delivered That Huge Tragedy In The Season 3 Finale
MEGAN BEHNKE   JUN. 13. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2568919/why-manifest-delivered-that-huge-tragedy-in-the-season-3-finale-athena-karkanis-josh-dallas 

... During an interview with TVInsider (that also included stars Josh Dallas and Athena Karkanis, Jeff Rake explained how long that deadly ending had been in the cards, and why it had to be told the way they did it:

"That’s been on the board in the writers room for a very long time. As Athena can attest, she and I had a conversation about it over a year ago, believe it or not. Or I guess exactly a year ago. As I’ve always told our Manifest fans and cast and crew, the story is the story. The architecture of the story was such that Grace was going to meet her maker at some point along the way. And we’ve reached that tragic point. When Athena and I talked about it so long ago, we talked about the context…. She basically said to me, ‘I respect the story. You gotta do what you gotta do.’ Which warmed my heart."

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, dbklmt said:

It's official.  "Manifest has been canceled after 3 seasons.

https://tvline.com/2021/06/14/manifest-cancelled-season-4-nbc/#more-1234672117

Oh no  !!!!!!!  Who knew that June 14, 2021 was the actual death date (of the show) ?

According to ancient Mayan engravings, it was clearly shown on the side of a lifeboat that Manifest would be cancelled after Season 3. 
I don't see how Ben Stone missed that important clue.

I guess bringing back the pilot, making the entire plan disappear, killing off Grace, having Angelina kidnap baby Eden, and aging Cal 5 years wasn't convincing enough plot-wise to the network executives for a renewal. Or maybe the network executives had a calling that told them to cancel Manifest in order to save the network.  As we all know, the callings are incredibly vague and the network executives may have just interpreted the calling incorrectly.  #sarcasm

• LOL 5
(edited)

I am a little surprised, but not shocked.  NBC had already cancelled a number of shows that I thought it had a decent chance and had been in the top 3 on Netflix since its released there, and I hadn't heard of NBC picking up a bunch of pilots (although maybe that is coming).  I am trying to think what else is on NBC, and it seems like it is mainly procedurals (Chicago shows - Law & Order) or game/reality shows.  I think even This is Us is ending next year.  Sunday Night football is probably a big chunk of their annual revenue.  This is one of the few shows I watch on network TV.  I am guessing the networks are going to be cutting costs more and more and the variety and quality of the shows are going to continue to go down. 

I do wish they would have given them a short season to wrap things up.  I know when the show premiered, the creator said he had a six year plan but had back-up plans if it would only go 2, 3, 4, etc. seasons.  With it doing well on Netflix I suppose there is an outside chance they would pick it up, although it is not like they are not also guilty cancelling shows on an end of season cliff hanger.

I have read in the past that since this is a Warner Brothers studio and not a NBC in-house production that has always added a layer of negotiations and cost.  I think that was a speculation of why it might not get renewed in the past.

Edited by CCTC
  • Love 4