Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, rlc said:

How about if Jeff wins, we get to see everyone else lose their minds about Jeff winning, and then Jeff ultimately gets his own show- Naked and Afraid: Surviving Prison after he is arrested for tax fraud for not paying taxes on the $100,000 prize?

This is what I live for!

There’s only one reason I’d like to see Jeff win and that’s the hope if they do this type of competition again he is not invited to participate.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, suzeecat said:

As much as I wanted to hate Steven, I get that all's fair.  Maybe producer/editor shenanigans, but Steven looked like he felt bad.  Gary is really impressing me with his people skills, but in the end I'm rooting for Matt to win, although I won't be mad if Gary does.  I get leg cramps and felt Matt's pain, it feels like someone/thing is bending your bones in unnatural directions. 

I've always had a thing for Steven.  He is just so damn hot!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Yeah I do too hah!  And really, what was he supposed to do?  If he looked down and there it was, was he just supposed to ignore it?  There was no guarantee Sarah would have found it anyway.  he just had the luck of being in the right place at the right time. I know it's a bitter pill for Sarah, but I think he played it right

• Like 2
On 6/12/2023 at 8:10 AM, AZChristian said:

I assume the other contestants know that Jeff is a convicted felon (insurance fraud), and will lie and attempt to manipulate anyone for his own advantage.  He had liability-only coverage, wrecked his car, had it towed to his house, and then upped his coverage to comprehensive.  He then notified Geico that he had had an accident AFTER upping his coverage, and filed a claim to get his car fixed.  Insurance companies are VERY wary of claims filed right after coverage has been changed.  They determined he had upped the coverage AFTER the wreck, and filed a fraudulent claim.  They reported him to the authorities.  He pled guilty, got three years of probation, fines and restitution.

His behavior last night was frightening.  There's something broken in his soul.  He doesn't care about anything but trying to "win" any argument.  His moral compass swings freely . . . there is no "true north," because Jeff keeps changing directions so haphazardly that the little arrow is off its spindle.

A totally despicable human being.  

As well as incredibly stupid to think that would work.  All the insurance co needs to do is check dates.  Tow date vs upping effective date. UNLESS he changed (forged) that date also lol

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Teriacky said:

For someone with a burned foot Jeff was moving awfully fast.

To quote Judge Milian on The People's Court, "I wouldn't believe him if his tongue came notarized."  What he says and what he displays usually have nothing to do with each other.  After all, he says he's a great hunter and skilled outdoorsman.  But who takes longer than anyone else to construct basic traps/snares?  And who can't shoot an impala in spite of his bragging about his prowess?  

I think if you look up "blowhard" in the dictionary, you'll see his picture.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
28 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Sara brings Jeff a fish, Sunday night Jeff says 'I wouldn't mind seeing Sara go'.  Well, Jeff who's gonna feed you now?

Maybe Gary will scare up some rancid meat for him 😆😆😆.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
On 6/19/2023 at 7:01 PM, PaperTree said:

I don't find him hot, I just think he's cool.  He's in my top three favorite people who've been on this show.

If Sarah wants to blame someone, blame the producers for making it so freaking confusing.  If they would have color coded the bones, or told the survivalists to pick them up, there wouldn't be a problem.

And despite what the preview kept promising, the loss of Sarah was not shocking.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, madmax said:

If Sarah wants to blame someone, blame the producers for making it so freaking confusing.  If they would have color coded the bones, or told the survivalists to pick them up, there wouldn't be a problem.

I’ll wager that this scenario will come up again and whoever’s left will probably face the same situation as Sarah.  Maybe that time it’ll be Jeff 🤣🤣🤣.

• Like 4

Well, this is now the actual competition for getting into the winning position time, during this past episode. Where you have to put staying in the game 100% of your effort to be able to win it all. Jeff has been putting 100% into competition mode from the start and during cool off periods too. There is no rest for him, mentally, in that aspect at all since the get go.

Steven played it right as far as I am concerned. He was down to the wire during a timed competition, and time to stand back and say ladies first, and wave them on was not in the cards for the last two of them striving for the last spot in the winners circle. It does suck to be Sarah right now, but it was a do or die moment in the competition, and the key word for that moment was competition. It WAS the time to fully compete for the last spot. Politeness had to be put to the side. No other competitors in any race anywhere, would politely stand down from vying for the win at that point of the actual “game”. 
Thats my opinion which may or may not be the right one, or what others think is the right way to think of this active competition part of this LOS season. 

• Like 3

Finally saw the episode.  Good stuff.

Feel bad for Sarah, but there was no rule that she "owned" that trail.

Jeff, nobody is ever excited to see you.  He just gets more obnoxious every week.  Gary seems to be playing him quite well, just feed his massive ego.  Interesting strategy.

• Like 5

The more of this show I see, the more I think this whole season is being filmed in an animal sanctuary where no real hunting of the larger animals is allowed. Thats why they are handed those cashes of a whole animal, to keep them fed without them killing off any of the sanctuary large fauna.  Do I remember Matt shooting a squirrel? Other than that a couple fish and some frogs were caught. They stand there way too long with bowstring drawn back ready to shoot, but never take the shot.

They should have it down to a quick sweeping motion without over thinking and scaring the animal away before taking the shot. There was a man sitting in the tree right behind the beasts Steven and Matt were hunting before the rafting. Who was that? And why weren’t the animals freaked out by his presence and running away from him? They couldn’t take a shot in that direction towards the nyala without possibly hitting the man in the tree! 

I also think when Jeff talked about sabotaging the other teams bamboo canoe boat before it even started, he was feeling out Garys reaction to it. If Gary was like YEAH! Lets do that! I do think Jeff would be all in… since like he said… there is no rule against sabotage. Also, they should have wet their cordage before using it to tie up their cork log raft. Prestretch it.

The bamboo the four harvested sure dried and aged quickly in a couple days when they went to gather them up. Also perfectly groomed of leaves and  cut to same size. This all seems so fake to me, this whole season. It looked too perfect, just like the cut grass Dan and Cheeny carted an armload full of a few weeks before that. Looked like bale hay to me. 

The rafting was insane and most likely made to look a lot worse than it actually was , tho there certainly were very dangerous risks in doing even that.

Matt was an absolute ass the way he was $#/! talking Jeff and Gary after they finally arrived, Thankfully alive and in one piece at the rafting ride destination point. This is another reason why I think its all theater and everything is scripted. I also wonder how all Jeffs stuff ended up on his raft at the finish line, after it had fallen off just before that. I just can’t believe Matt would really be razzing the other team of two after seeing them almost be drown moments before.

I really can’t believe that is his true nature….. BUT he did use the excuse of saying he was “mad at the rapids” when Gary confronted him, and that it was just a misunderstanding. It made no sense. That was uncalled for..

All theater I think, the whole show where there is a lot of laying around going on…. All fake except for when it comes to the actual competitions where they whittle away the contestants, like last week with Sarah.

Waz has been taking his nasty attitude pill everyday it seems. Gary has been a stand up guy this entire season and is my favorite in this show so far. Go Gary! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

About building a raft to go down those rapids, I don’t get how one team can build something that can withstand pounding against the rocks and make it through relatively unscathed while the other team builds something that is pretty much the complete opposite and is destroyed by the end of the trip.  Somehow Jeff still has all his stuff?  It looked like it was all lost at one point.  He talked about sabotaging the other team’s raft, maybe he should have been spending his energy into thinking about how to build something more durable.  The funniest part about that was per the rules stated later he would have had to wait around for the others to rebuild their raft.  He’s not thinking ahead to what the next set of instructions will say.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Got about halfway through the program last night.  When Jeff started talking about sabotaging the other team's raft - and saying it was okay according to the rules - I turned it off.

I cannot stand that their production company constantly allows this scumbag to return to their television shows.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I was tempted to skip the episode entirely due to the previews showing Jeff talking about sabotaging the other group.  Question is if they allow it and someone (actually Jeff, I can’t imagine anyone else here doing it) does it will they reward it during the recap when they adjust that bogus PSR for each participant.  

• Like 2
On 6/26/2023 at 12:40 AM, SassyCat said:

Matt was an absolute ass the way he was $#/! talking Jeff and Gary after they finally arrived, Thankfully alive and in one piece at the rafting ride destination point. This is another reason why I think its all theater and everything is scripted. I also wonder how all Jeffs stuff ended up on his raft at the finish line, after it had fallen off just before that. I just can’t believe Matt would really be razzing the other team of two after seeing them almost be drown moments before.

I really can’t believe that is his true nature….. BUT he did use the excuse of saying he was “mad at the rapids” when Gary confronted him, and that it was just a misunderstanding. It made no sense. That was uncalled for..

Waz has been taking his nasty attitude pill everyday it seems. Gary has been a stand up guy this entire season and is my favorite in this show so far. Go Gary! 

ITA about Waz and Matt, they're both getting downright unpleasant to watch.  Waz seemingly wants to control everyone else's behavior and Matt was nasty to Gary for no reason.  He wasn't mad at the rapids, he was just being a dick because he felt superior.  Like Gary said, I could see him directing that attitude towards Jeff, but Gary didn't deserve it, especially since it really did look like he was in trouble in the water a couple of times.

23 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Somehow Jeff still has all his stuff?  It looked like it was all lost at one point.  

I thought the same thing!  It wasn't on top of the "raft" and neither he nor Gary seemed to be carrying it.  I was perplexed.

And all I can see when I look at Jeff is that creepy televangelist Joel Osteen.  They have the same weird little pinched face lol

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
35 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

And all I can see when I look at Jeff is that creepy televangelist Joel Osteen.  They have the same weird little pinched face lol

I'd never thought about that before, but now I can't "unsee" the resemblance.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

So do we think that there will really be eliminations until the last one is left, or will there be some delicious twist where eliminated contestants vote and bad behaviors bite them on the butt?

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, rlc said:

So do we think that there will really be eliminations until the last one is left, or will there be some delicious twist where eliminated contestants vote and bad behaviors bite them on the butt?

Survivor in the Nude . . . ?  LOL.

• LOL 3
3 minutes ago, rlc said:

I’ve lost count how many episodes have aired so far and I’m too lazy to look it up … anyway I’ve been wondering the same thing.  Since they’re 2 hour episodes, maybe a challenge every hour?  Or whittle down to the last 3 or 4 then there’s this nail biting finale where the winner is decided?

4 hours ago, rlc said:

My thinking is that when you're in survivor mode, even bad behaviors are acceptable. This isn't a personality contest, they're goal is to win. If this was a REAL survivor situation (which it very obviously isn't), people would anything to stay alive.

People in survivor mode shouldn't have to worry about hurting someone's feelings.

Since I now think that this is being filmed in an animal sanctuary, or preserve, where hunting is not allowed, I think that the meat cashes they have been finding are required to be shared amongst all of them, no matter who finds them. 
If they can’t shoot an animal down with their bow and arrows, then production must give them food because otherwise it just wouldn’t be fair to the contestants.  

The manmade pond they had there had tilapia stocks in it. Judging by how little time is spent fishing, they probably had limits as to how many fish could be removed from there too. The actual running water area where they were trying to use the useless fishing net was most likely an area they were allowed to take more fish from.. if they were successful, which with that net they weren’t. 

I also noticed the rapids filmage was cuts, cuts and more cuts, then to commercials. Hardly any real long uncut footage of them going through it with the rapids. The calm water got the longest uncut footage shown.

The water throughout the whole rapids travel looked no more than knee to waist high the whole time. I think most of this ride the rapids travel to next area was basically walking their rafts of items down the river with some footage of them seemingly riding rapids. The faces showing pain and ouches yelled during a little rapids ride of a few seconds of filming before cut off, I also think was A LOT of acting. I wonder if there will be any bruises showing on the next episode. There should be if Steven broke a rib on one and others were smashing up against the rocks, hither and fro. Matt sure was walking pretty good during some parts of filming with him walking down a trail too. I think his calf is feeling a lot better than he claims.

This new (scripted) N&A first time LOS season is seeming more like skits acted out and very little real survival happening. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the conflict between them all, is scripted too. 3..2..1.. ACTION! 🎬

• Thanks 1

Matt was an absolute ass the way he was $#/! talking Jeff and Gary after they finally arrived

Waz has been taking his nasty attitude pill everyday it seems. 

9 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

ITA about Waz and Matt, they're both getting downright unpleasant to watch.  Waz seemingly wants to control everyone else's behavior and Matt was nasty to Gary for no reason. 

I said it earlier, Matt is really starting to bug me and this has solidified it.  And Waz is just being 100% nasty for no reason.  Jeff is an asshole, but Waz is acting like he's some kind of molesting murderer.

I also wonder how all Jeffs stuff ended up on his raft at the finish line, after it had fallen off just before that. 

On 6/26/2023 at 10:22 AM, Cobb Salad said:

Somehow Jeff still has all his stuff?  It looked like it was all lost at one point.  

9 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

It wasn't on top of the "raft" and neither he nor Gary seemed to be carrying it.  I was perplexed.

That was some serious help to Jeff and Gary.  That shit was lost, then all of a sudden it was there on the "raft," then it was gone, then part of it was there, then all of it was there.  Production must have held it for them until they got to everyone else.

Jeff's "I'd never laugh at someone who was suffering/hurting (I can't remember his exact word)" - HA!  What did he and Laura do during their 60 day challenge?  Still can't stand him.

I think they're going to start eliminating multiple people at once.  They're going to have to, if they're only planning to go another 10 days or so.

1 hour ago, SassyCat said:

This new (scripted) N&A first time LOS season is seeming more like skits acted out and very little real survival happening. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the conflict between them all, is scripted too. 3..2..1.. ACTION! 🎬

This.  I'm really not liking this season because of the blatant scripting of shit.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

There really should be a "no sabotage" rule.  That's just playing dirty.

Jeff is still so annoying.  Not surprised he seemed to consider it.  Drama? 

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

I knew that "raft" was going to crumble at some point.  Lucky nobody drowned.

Team Matt built a hell of a canoe.

I looked up cork trees, and it seems the only part of the tree that's "cork" as we know it is only a layer right inside the bark.  The rest is just tree.  Jeff called it a "corkwood tree" which may be something different, but I couldn't find anything.

Jeff is such a cry baby.  "Need help"?  Yeah, right.  Good advice to just stfu by Waz.  Don't feed his ego.

Good for Dan telling Jeff right up front.  "I don't want to be your friend".

Then Jeff acts all shocked as if everybody loves him.  He brought this all on himself with his hoarding and bartering BS at the start.

Delusional.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Everyone else get a repeat of episode one tonight too?

Yes.  I watched about 10 minutes of it then figured the whole thing was stuff I saw before.  I looked ahead to next week and it looks like that’s the finale.  

2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Yes.  I watched about 10 minutes of it then figured the whole thing was stuff I saw before.  

Me too. I suffered through endless commercials the first time around. Didn’t need to sit through commercials AND repeated footage a second time.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, rlc said:

That was cruel and unusual. The 12 people watching this show don't need a recap. We just need it to end already.

Especially when they’ve shown the episodes ad nauseam.  As a result I just don’t care about this iteration anymore.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I was away on vacation and for whatever reason my dvr will NOT play back the last episode.  I came here to attempt to find out what I missed, but apparently it was mostly a recap episode, am I correct?  Hmm, maybe my dvr knows what's best for me, LOL!

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

I was away on vacation and for whatever reason my dvr will NOT play back the last episode.  I came here to attempt to find out what I missed, but apparently it was mostly a recap episode, am I correct?  Hmm, maybe my dvr knows what's best for me, LOL!

If you have seen all the episodes except for the last one on July 2nd, then you have missed absolutely nothing. The last episode was only showing recaps of the same episodes already shown with no added bonus footage. They made allowances for people who traveled on the Fourth of July holiday so that no one missed any episodes if they weren’t home on Sunday night. Rest assured you missed nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just thinking of how I should be considering previous individual shows and XLs for scripted drama.  Consider for a moment Honora in both her S3 Ep10 and XL appearances.

Just like pro-wrestling there are heroes and villains. Content is less about survival and more about interaction with the characters.

I am an adult watching a child's show.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Naked and Afraid: Castaways, premieres Sunday, July 30th, at 8/7c

https://people.com/naked-and-afraid-castaways-trailer-exclusive-7557064

PEOPLE can exclusively premiere the first trailer and full cast list for Discovery Channel's Castaways, the latest edition of the series that features adventurers fighting to survive with no additional tools, maps or other aids. 

According to the official synopsis, nine seasoned challengers will be “marooned on a remote tropical island hundreds of miles away from civilization.” They will be divided into three teams and dropped in the water where they will swim to three different environments on the island and start their “distinct journeys.” The survivalists will have to find a way to prevail with wreckage and debris scattered throughout the islan

Cast:

Kerra Bennett

Patrick French

Justin Governale 

Bulent Gurcan 

Na’im McKee 

Candice Mishler 

Andrew Shayde 

Heather Smith 

Rachel Strohl 

Edited by Aaron4102
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Cast:

Kerra Bennett

Patrick French

Justin Governale 

Bulent Gurcan 

Na’im McKee 

Candice Mishler 

Andrew Shayde 

Heather Smith 

Rachel Strohl 

BULENT!! 
I’ll be watching 😁

I’ll watch since it appears of the group Bulent is the only one who has been on the show multiple times and we haven’t seen him in a while. 

The only other name I recognize is Heather and I think she was the one who billed herself as an expert fisherwoman who managed to lose all of her fishing hooks in pretty quick order.  

• Like 1

Andrew has been on twice, but hasn't finished either time. I think his first episode was the one where they found the abandoned village on stilts, then he came back last season for the redemption episode that started as two teams of two men, and he left shortly after the merge.

My heart is broken for Matt.  There was no way he could've seen that injury coming and probably no way he could've avoided it.  The look on the other's faces when they realized Matt was out and Jeff was in said it all, everything everyone was thinking. 

It will be interesting to see how the rest plays out and I would pay-per-view to see a reunion. 

On 7/7/2023 at 8:41 PM, Cobb Salad said:

I’ll watch since it appears of the group Bulent is the only one who has been on the show multiple times and we haven’t seen him in a while. 

The only other name I recognize is Heather and I think she was the one who billed herself as an expert fisherwoman who managed to lose all of her fishing hooks in pretty quick order.  

Is Heather the crazy one who threw her partners' stuff in the river when she tapped?  I would watch just to see Bulent chew her up and spit her out. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So glad Matt, the leader of the mean girls bully pack, is gone.  To isolate and demean one person constantly is the very definition of bullying which to me is third in bad things after murder and rape.  What a poor example he and his herd of lame followers have set for younger viewers of the show.

Jeff is like the Boston Rob of the show.  He, like Rob, is very self-aware too.  And like Rob as well, is having FUN.  And he actually understands the rules of this competition and seems like the only one actually playing the game the way it was intended to be played. 

And game it is on this version.  The rest of those people are totally clueless that this whole version is now more like a sports event -- aka a COMPETITION -- and not a silly campfire singalong.

Some of Jeff's moves can be harebrained and even backfire but at least he is trying to make moves and is fun to watch unlike that herd of dull, self-righteous bully boys of endless smugness.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

Is Heather the crazy one who threw her partners' stuff in the river when she tapped?  I would watch just to see Bulent chew her up and spit her out. 

Are you possibly recalling Honora doing this?

• Like 2

From the above written instructions, Gary and Jeff should have had their “wins” disqualified. It clearly says the water had to be TRANSPORTED TO THE GOURDS WITH THE REEDS AND THEN TRANSFERRED INTO THE GOURDS WHERE THE GOURDS WERE. NOT taking the gourds to the water and using a reed to ladle the water into them. 
A clear and not executed instruction. Matt did it right. Jeff and Gary should have been made to stop and go back and doit correctly. Matt is the obvious actual winner according to the shows own instructions for the win. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I was wondering why Matt did not pick up his gourd and run to the water like the others. He is the one who fulfilled the task of TRANSPORTING the water to the AREA the gourds were at. That in itself was part of the difficulty of the whole task. Making sure you didn’t spill all your carried water out before you reached the AREA where the gourds were waiting to be filled. Gary and Jeff completely skipped that difficult part. Matt should sue Discovery for this breech of duty to their own rules.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, suzeecat said:

She started with 2 partners, one was a muscle bound man who she got along with right away but he tapped a few days in.  IIRC she begged him to stay so we wouldn’t be stuck with the other man who she saw as inferior.  She wasn’t that pleasant to watch the rest of the time.  I’m rooting for her to be partnered with Bulent.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, SassyCat said:

From the above written instructions, Gary and Jeff should have had their “wins” disqualified. It clearly says the water had to be TRANSPORTED TO THE GOURDS WITH THE REEDS AND THEN TRANSFERRED INTO THE GOURDS WHERE THE GOURDS WERE. NOT taking the gourds to the water and using a reed to ladle the water into them. 
A clear and not executed instruction. Matt did it right. Jeff and Gary should have been made to stop and go back and doit correctly. Matt is the obvious actual winner according to the shows own instructions for the win. 

Wonder why nothing was made of that?  Looks like a clear violation of the rule by Gary and Jeff.

I had the feeling Matt was going.  They spent a LOT of time talking about his injury.

Sorry, Jeff is still an asshole.  "Why, they're so mean, they didn't even share their food with me." "This is a competition for individuals, I wouldn't share a thing with them."  Can't have it both ways, Jeff.  I was shocked as shit that he gave Steven that jerky.

ETA: What I meant to say above was more along the lines of how Jeff kept saying that Steve was being mean, and they were best buds, and blah blah blah, but then saying it's every man for himself.  I'm  leaving my wrong assumption up there because I think posts shouldn't be deleted when you realize you screwed up.

Edited by madmax
made a mistake
  • Like 1