Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: This Will God Willing Get Better

Tech week at Stanton High finds Tracey and Lou leading the cast through a series of rehearsals that falls short of expectations. Gwen's familial strife leads to a wild night out, while Michael tries to reconnect with an estranged friend. Maashous receives potentially life-changing news, and Simon's personal feelings start to compromise his performance in the musical.

Simon desperately trying to be straight when he so clearly isnt into this girl is just depressing. For him, and also for the girl he was trying to be with. You really just arent his type, honey! 

You can tell Lou is totally new at this, as I have yet to be in a production when tech week isnt a total clusterfuck, especially in high school. I would be concerned if everything went perfectly! Thats the whole point of tech week, to iron out the kinks so that they dont happen when the show actually starts! If he actually knew what he was doing, he would probably know that. I do hope more episodes feature multiple people telling Lou to stop making everything about him. 

I laughed at Lou`s constant desperate "when the sign goes up, the tickets will sell" refrain. "Its been up for two days!" I do enjoy that the show is acknowledging that not all musical theater is magical friendship moments and self actualization. A lot of it is trying to sell tickets, dealing with props not being where they're supposed to be, technical difficulties, and actors dealing with personal stuff. Even if that upsets Lou. 

Poor Maashous. I dont know how he would feel about having to go live with his mom, especially if its far away, and he hardly knows her. I guess social workers usually try to get parents back with kids, but I dont know if thats the best outcome. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I laughed at Lou`s constant desperate "when the sign goes up, the tickets will sell" refrain. "Its been up for two days!" I do enjoy that the show is acknowledging that not all musical theater is magical friendship moments and self actualization. A lot of it is trying to sell tickets, dealing with props not being where they're supposed to be, technical difficulties, and actors dealing with personal stuff. Even if that upsets Lou. 

Lou is so incredibly delusional when it comes to his 'vision', it's baffling.

• Love 7

I think the show's creators/producers DELIBERATELY set out to create a character who is a completely narcissistic, pompous, delusional, selfish, insufferable jackass in Lou. He is a true piece of work. 

Even Robbie, with complete disrespect and disregard blurted, "This isn't about you, Lou!!!" Good for him. Line of the series so far!!!

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, BigDfromLA said:

I think the show's creators/producers DELIBERATELY set out to create a character who is a completely narcissistic, pompous, delusional, selfish, insufferable jackass in Lou. He is a true piece of work. 

Even Robbie, with complete disrespect and disregard blurted, "This isn't about you, Lou!!!" Good for him. Line of the series so far!!!

I guess I'm old school (literally) because I found it disrespectful for Robbie to call Mr. Mazzou "Lou."  Are teachers and students on a first-name basis nowadays?

44 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

It's one week before opening and Lou just noticed Robbie can't emote?  "Come on, Robbie.  Just feel something...."  That'll work.   

Is Robbie non-acting this way because he doesn't have the talent or is he trying to sabotage the show, either consciously or subconsciously, because he really wants to be a football player?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I guess I'm old school (literally) because I found it disrespectful for Robbie to call Mr. Mazzou "Lou."  Are teachers and students on a first-name basis nowadays?

I don't know if it's the same in America, but here it depends on the teacher. Some teachers allow students to use their first names.

• Love 1

Of course Rosie Perez has to do all the emotional labor and pick up the pieces when Ted Mosby has a toddler tantrum because the school musical is going about as well as every school musical ever. I want to punch that single tear off his stupid face.

Credit to the kid who plays Robbie for a convincing portrayal of teenage "acting" as it was done at my high school. 

How much does it cost to get your nose pierced at the mall these days, like $10? I'm already wincing about that girl's inevitable future infection.

Meanwhile, where did that random sex fire come from at the end? Seems like it still would've been really cold out there.

• Love 8

I don't know why the principal was freaking out that the show wasn't sold out after the ONE poster had been up for two whole days. Everyone I know is a bunch of procrastinators about buying tickets for stuff like that. When I was in high school, the only people who bought tickets in advance as soon as they went on sale were the parents of the kids in the play. The students, even BFFs of the kids in the play, didn't buy tickets until a few days before the show or even at the door. It wasn't just the plays/musicals either. People were the same way about the dance shows, the choir concerts, the football games, and even prom.

The other thing we always did for every kind of production was we went to local businesses and asked if we could put up posters in the windows and on bulletin boards so that people who didn't have kids at the high school would know that the play was coming up. I honestly have no idea how many extra tickets that yielded but there are always some people in the community who will attend stuff like that just to be supportive.

I don't know who I felt worse for this week - Sasha or Maashous. Sasha was trying to make a huge decision and people were coming at her from every side. Poor Maashous was convinced that Gwen was going to throw him out because he's had such shitty foster parents in the past.

I was never brave enough to pierce any part of my body with just ice and a needle. I know that's how people used to pierce their ears but I could never do that to myself. Every time I got something pierced, I had to have someone else do it.

Loved when Tracey told Lou to get his ass downstairs to rehearsal because this is not about him. But of course Lou is such a self centered man child that he thinks EVERYTHING is about him. Why be a responsible leader when you have twenty kids waiting for you to run rehearsal when you can leave in a huff and go pout in the privacy of your car? And sorry, Rise, but Glee did that "teacher hears the devoted kids singing and comes back to the theater" ending much better in the pilot.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was never brave enough to pierce any part of my body with just ice and a needle. I know that's how people used to pierce their ears but I could never do that to myself. Every time I got something pierced, I had to have someone else do it.

My mother's cousin pierced my mother's ears with a needle and an ice cube after school and they're still intact decades later. They're uneven as hell though - whenever she wears heavy earrings I worry that the earring is going to tear one of her lobes because the piercing is very close to the bottom. The piercing in the other ear is more centered.

The actress playing the pregnant teen can't act.

Called it! Coach and Vanessa (who I think is really beautiful) back at it. That was a no-brainer. Lilette, your mother taking a shitty job to support the family is what is required of her as a parent. It's not "incredible." To paraphrase Chris Rock, you don't get credit for shit you're supposed to do.

Every scene with Simon and Annabelle (I just learned her name) made me cringe. I was glad he didn't go through with it but I felt terrible for Annabelle.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I don't know if it's the same in America, but here it depends on the teacher. Some teachers allow students to use their first names.

It would be considered very disrespectful in America, or at least in my corner of the country.  I only had one teacher we could call by his first name--and, if we had addressed him formally, he would have been one of 3 or 4 Mr. Smiths working at the school.  Even so, we called him Michael T.  Not Michael, not Mike, but Michael T.

Now, to throw a wrench in things, the drama teacher on staff when I was in school did allow the "drama kids" (the hardcore ones, not the ones who did 1-2 plays during their 4 years) to call her by her first name--but she was also disciplined for being unprofessional.  I doubt it was because of her name, but I think that wrapped up into it all.

But, bringing it back to the show, I don't see Lou as a sort of teacher--or drama head--who especially commands a lot of respect from the kids.  If you look at Tracey, the kids seem to like her, and sometimes even confide in her, but she is clearly a teacher and the kids respect her as such.  I don't see that with Lou.

• Love 3

Isn't more likely that the actor flubbed the line than the kids call Mr. Mazoo by his first name?

I agree that the kids respect Tracey more - loved the girl imitating her in the lunch room.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

It would be considered very disrespectful in America, or at least in my corner of the country.  I only had one teach we could call by his first name--and, if we had addressed him formally, he would have been one of 3 or 4 Mr. Smiths working at the school.  Even so, we called him Michael T.  Not Michael, not Mike, but Michael T.

Now, to throw a wrench in things, the drama teacher on staff when I was in school did allow the "drama kids" (the hardcore ones, not the ones who did 1-2 plays during their 4 years) to call her by her first name--but she was also disciplined for being unprofessional.  I doubt it was because of her name, but I think that wrapped up into it all.

But, bringing it back to the show, I don't see Lou as a sort of teacher--or drama head--who especially commands a lot of respect from the kids.  If you look at Tracey, the kids seem to like her, and sometimes even confide in her, but she is clearly a teacher and the kids respect her as such.  I don't see that with Lou.

I went to Quaker school (the school in the link isn't my alma mater; I just think it does a nice job of summarizing Quaker principles. I'm not a Quaker; very few kids at my alma mater were). It's fairly common for first names to be used. Sometimes teachers at Quaker schools will go by Teacher Firstname, particularly if they teach young kids. At my alma mater, it was up to the teacher. You took your cue from him/her on the first day. If the teacher said "I'm Mrs. Smith and this is freshman English," you called her Mrs. Smith. If she said "I'm Lisa and this is freshman English," she was Lisa. It also tended to divide along age lines. When I was in high school, the history department was all over 60 and they were all Mr./Mrs./Ms. Lastname. I will say, though, that whether or not you respected or liked a teacher had absolutely nothing to do with what you called them. One of the most commanding, well-respected teachers there went by a nickname (think Kate for Katherine).

At Stanton High, the teachers and administrators would get titles and last names. I agree that Lou doesn't really inspire any kind of authority in his students. He strikes me as the kind of teacher who wants to be liked. Tracey doesn't seem to care about that, as evidenced by her asking the student if he'd liked her during a previous show. He didn't like her but he did respect her, which is (rightfully) what she cares more about.

Random question I’m not sure where else to place. The actress playing Sasha is reminding me of another actress with similar looks and a very similar voice and speech pattern. It’s bugging me so much that I can’t place who it is. Does anyone know of a lookalike actress out there for her? 

• Love 2

Is the character played by Katherine Reis, Jolene, supposed to be the quintessential "mean girl" in the school?  I've mentioned this before, but I can't stand the vocal fry on her and the other girl.  Is she meant to be likable, unlikable, pretty, strange looking, or what?

• Love 1

So close @Phebemarie, but not quite. I feel like she was in more recent movie. Definitely in the same vein though. Thank you for trying. It’s on the tip of my tongue. I’ll update if I figure it out! She looks a little like Katherine Langford with a voice a little like Juliette Lewis. 

@CelticBlackCat, I can’t figure out Jolene either. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

You can tell Lou is totally new at this, as I have yet to be in a production when tech week isnt a total clusterfuck, especially in high school. I would be concerned if everything went perfectly! Thats the whole point of tech week, to iron out the kinks so that they dont happen when the show actually starts! If he actually knew what he was doing, he would probably know that. I do hope more episodes feature multiple people telling Lou to stop making everything about him. 

My daughter is a Production Stage Manager (and Equity member).  When I told her about the disastrous tech rehearsal she just started to laugh, She said that she's been in too many rough techs but not where everything went wrong.  She's always reluctant to watch network TV's shows about live theater (although she had a love-hate relationship with Smash) because she sees so many things that are just plain unrealistic.  If Rise closes with a solid production of Spring Awakening, she'll probably sneak a look at it.

Forgot to also mention that when I told my kid that newbie jackass director Lou decided to do a complete run through at the first tech rehearsal, she said "they did what?".  Doesn't take much in fictional theater world to get a rise out of her.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Lsk02 said:

Random question I’m not sure where else to place. The actress playing Sasha is reminding me of another actress with similar looks and a very similar voice and speech pattern. It’s bugging me so much that I can’t place who it is. Does anyone know of a lookalike actress out there for her? 

She almost reminds me of a mix between Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird) and Heather Morris (Glee).  

• Love 2
22 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

Agree had a good snicker.  Thank you writers for making Lou one of the most annoying characters on tv right now.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lsk02 said:

I'm quoting you because I want to comment on another cast member reminding me of someone! Since the first time I saw a preview for Rise, every time I see the actor portraying Robbie, all I can see is Justin Guarini! Am I the only one?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I'm quoting you because I want to comment on another cast member reminding me of someone! Since the first time I saw a preview for Rise, every time I see the actor portraying Robbie, all I can see is Justin Guarini! Am I the only one?

I didn't but now that you say it, I see what you mean and I probably won't be able to unsee it! I looked Justin up and he is now 39... time flies!iu.thumb.jpeg.f38ccddc631d3f933e60806bc626752c.jpeg

I enjoyed this episode and am glad I stuck with this show in spite of the narcissist that is Lou. I kept watching with the hope that his gargantuan ego and entitlement were intentional and I do now believe that to be the case since other characters are definitely calling him out on it, which is very satisfying! I am not sure if he'll have any type of self-realization about some or all of his flaws but I'm okay with it as long as the show acknowledges it by way of the other characters.

I was so glad when Lou had his tantrum and stormed off that Tracey and the kids totally handled everything like professionals and that he came back to witness that. I am assuming he thought it would all fall apart without his input and guidance.

I did find the scenes with Simon and his girlfriend very cringeworthy and felt empathy for both since she feels rejected and he is experiencing confusion about his sexuality or at least just not ready or willing to face it. I also felt for Simon when the boy that likes him (blanking on the name) was pressing him about his relationship with his girlfriend. I get that they had a kiss and some flirtation and he's now confused about the status of their relationship but it seems unkind to put pressure on someone about a very personal thing and I think he should be able to come to a realization about his sexuality in his own time. Just give him his space and some time to reflect and when he's ready for a relationship, he'll probably let you know...maybe even next episode!

Maybe pressure about personal decisions was the theme of the episode since the pregnant girl was facing pressure from Michael who was concerned about her well-being and from her ex-boyfriend who is really worried about potentially having a child. I'm actually more interested in whether or not she and Michael will be able to be friends again after Michael put distance between them.

I'm also interested to see where this relationship with the coach and Lilette's mother is going and how that will affect both of their relationships with their daughters. 

All in all, a good episode and I'm looking forward to the next!

Edited by Sylkken
Spelling
  • Love 4

I think the ending for Lou was not about the show, getting angry, it was about Gordy and the realisation that he was still not getting in the work, that their work as parents is far from over in this thing. I think the day before he had hoped for something better. He just took it out on Robbie. Which of course he shouldn't have.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Sylkken said:
19 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I didn't but now that you say it, I see what you mean and I probably won't be able to unsee it! I looked Justin up and he is now 39... time flies!iu.thumb.jpeg.f38ccddc631d3f933e60806bc626752c.jpeg

Justin Guarini? Don't you mean Lil Sweet? LOL  I can't get him out of my head now! (Also, I could have sworn there were Emojis here and now I don't see any.  Long day at work.  I must be losing it.)
  justin-guarini-lil-sweet.thumb.jpg.1577da026b02154cb1e374131aec7028.jpg

My memory of high school plays/musicals is that 90% of the tickets were bought by family and friends of the students involved (plus maybe some teachers) and it didn't really matter what the show was. 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, J-Man said:

No judge in the country would force a child to go back with a woman who named him "Maashous." Talk about child abuse!

I just assumed it was an older name that isn't fashionable like Jaden but thanks to google, I learned that maashous is a German word (not a name). That woman named her poor kid beer house!

Maashaus (German: Maßhaus) is a spacious room taking the whole front part of a ground floor of a multi-storied Gothic or Renaissance town house.

This room was used mainly for serving beer, or other kinds of trade and craft. It was not heated. It also worked to link together other parts of the house, since it held a staircase to the first floor above ground (where the owner lived) and to the basement, an archway or similar passage to the courtyard and so on. The ceiling was almost always vaulted and was often supported by an asymmetrically placed central column. It was separated from the street or the arcade by a wall with a doorway and one or more windows.

Maashauses started to appear in the 13th century as a manifestation of the trend to sequester the living quarters of a burgers' house to the first floor. What used to be a main living room of the house, the so-called smoke abode, kept only its public, trade and craft functions, which remained on the ground floor, because they required the proximity of the cellar, the courtyard and especially the street entrance. The trade activities involved mainly the aforementioned serving of beer, which is related to the brewing rights (in the Middle Ages a vast majority of burgers' houses were granted this right), but other trade and crafts were performed there also.

In the 19th century most maashauses were converted to private shops. Later, they were being renovated in many historic cities as part of restoration activities in the socialist period. To this day, maashauses are found in many buildings in the centers of Česky Krumlov, Slavonice and so on. After 1989 many maashauses were again employed for retail or by pubs and restaurants.

"Maß“ is an old unit of volume (approximately equivalent to 1.4 l), used for measuring mainly beer, haus means a "house“ in German, but in the past it could also stand for the main living room of a house. Therefore, maashaus could be translated as a "beer house".

ETA: Okay, I just realized that even though I typed "maashous name origin," google pointed me to the wikipedia entry for maashaus, so his mom didn't actually name him beer house. She just gave him a name that will make the first day of school/work always suck as people stumble over how to pronounce Mouse House (I say that as someone whose name is mispronounced frequently even though it's relatively well known).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 4/26/2018 at 8:51 PM, retrograde said:

My memory of high school plays/musicals is that 90% of the tickets were bought by family and friends of the students involved (plus maybe some teachers) and it didn't really matter what the show was. 

Thank you! It's not like which movie you want to see down at the MetroPlex!

• Love 1