Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Teddy Perkins

Dee
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I'm stunned.  That episode was insane.  Still digesting it.  The commercials would have broken up the tension so I can see why they removed them this week.

I figured Donald was playing Teddy, but hearing his voice confirmed it.  And that scene with the egg...talk about nightmare fuel.

As wild as this was, it makes sense that Darius is the one to find himself in that place.  Nice to have an ep just focusing on Darius, and I wonder if they'll go into his own daddy issues.  Real talk, I expected that piano to look dazzling.  It just looked like someone had taken a marker and colored the keys.

Was that Brian playing Benny?  And who was Benny supposed to be?  

Also, my ep description read "Darius trips."  That's it.  I want to know what carrier was saying "Y'll know I woulda been left."

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the description on IMDB.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 6

What a wild episode. So tense I could barely watch because I would not put it past this show to hurt my fave Darius! I did not even recognize Donald Glover until someone mentioned it on twitter. Gotta watch again now that everyone is safe!

• Love 7
(edited)

That was something....a wholly original episode of television that was simultaneously disarming, frightening, and enthralling.  Atlanta as a show is taking risks and I am enjoying the ride.

Edited by Mr. R0b0t
  • Love 12

I was SO excited that we were getting a full Darius episode since he is by far the funniest character. I was all settled in ready for deep belly laughs at his hijinx. But daaaaaaaamn. We got his “Get Out” character, not his “Atlanta” character. Well, I guess Benny was his Get Out character (odd foreboding trapped guy) and Al played the airport security guard friend (phone a friend with a warning on the outside). My anxiety was off the charts! So, once again, bravo to Atlanta for delivering the unexpected. So bizarre and tension-filled. Only one laugh: when Teddy was listing off the abusive stage dads as paragons  “...Emilio Estevez’s dad in ‘Breakfast Club’...”

I’m still a little freaked out even thinking about this episode. Kudos, show, for really creating a haunting ambiance. Why aren’t more people watching this show?!? I feel like we need a previously.tv campaign: You guys don’t know what you’re missing!!! This show is goddamned brilliant.

• Love 13

What. the. fuck. was. THAT!

I was so looking forward to a funny episode with Darius, and then I get this crap.  The only saving grace was seeing Al and the ex-con in the car.

I think that Donald Glover's head has gotten too big and he thinks that he's some artistic genius who can just put anything out there.  I didn't see anything "brilliant" about this.  Just indulgent.  

I hope this show goes back to entertainment next week.  If not, then fuck him.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Only one laugh: when Teddy was listing off the abusive stage dads as paragons  “...Emilio Estevez’s dad in ‘Breakfast Club’...”

Yes! I laughed really hard at this throw-away line.  Also, I'm not sure how I missed the Sammy Sosa bleaching his skin information! I did a google image search and was shocked.

• Love 5

And why would anyone go pick up a fucking piano by himself?  Yeah I know he had a dolly but it would have made more sense to have another guy help him with it.  Stupid as fuck.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

What. the. fuck. was. THAT!

I was so looking forward to a funny episode with Darius, and then I get this crap.  The only saving grace was seeing Al and the ex-con in the car.

I think that Donald Glover's head has gotten too big and he thinks that he's some artistic genius who can just put anything out there.  I didn't see anything "brilliant" about this.  Just indulgent.  

I hope this show goes back to entertainment next week.  If not, then fuck him.

This show has always been a outlier. It's not just anything. It has always played with different genres. Part if the appeal if this show for many is that you really do not know what's going to happen from week to week. I totally understand people not liking this episode but at no point think Donald is too far up his own ass or has changed anything in terms of how the show is made.

I actually like that a Darius centered episode was the darkest and deepest so far. A typical show would have just made this a silly romp of an episode because he's such an off the wall character. We got some introspection into him as a person but in a off beat way. I appreciated and liked it.

I also honestly don't go into any viewings of black led shows with any expectations. Dating back to Good Times all the way to Blackish gives you shows that are just anything. Probably black people don't get as many shows so they try to cover more. But, a episode of this or blackish that feels like pure drama or a thriller? Never surprises me. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

This show has always been a outlier. It's not just anything. It has always played with different genres. Part if the appeal if this show for many is that you really do not know what's going to happen from week to week. I totally understand people not liking this episode but at no point think Donald is too far up his own ass or has changed anything in terms of how the show is made.

I actually like that a Darius centered episode was the darkest and deepest so far. A typical show would have just made this a silly romp of an episode because he's such an off the wall character. We got some introspection into him as a person but in a off beat way. I appreciated and liked it.

I also honestly don't go into any viewings of black led shows with any expectations. Dating back to Good Times all the way to Blackish gives you shows that are just anything. Probably black people don't get as many shows so they try to cover more. But, a episode of this or blackish that feels like pure drama or a thriller? Never surprises me. 

I appreciate your opinion and outlook on the episode, but I still regard it as fuckery and I also think that Donald Glover does have his head up his ass.  Jordan Peele, he ain't.

Donald Glover is a genius. This episode was disturbing and heartbreaking and so effin weird! I loved it.

I would like to say I would have left sooner, but I have found myself in very weird situations with very weird people before so I can totally understand how Darius got caught up. 

I love how this show pushes us.

Donald Glover earned another Emmy with this one.

• Love 7

Darius, a piano ain't worth all that, Bro.

I thought he was going to leave once he saw it and how the colors looked fake as hell.

The line " and the dad who dropped Emilio Estevez off in The Breakfast Club" actually made me shout "Good God"!  

• Love 4
On 4/6/2018 at 2:01 PM, marny said:

Yes! I laughed really hard at this throw-away line.  Also, I'm not sure how I missed the Sammy Sosa bleaching his skin information! I did a google image search and was shocked.

I laughed at the three others in the car seeing Sammy Sosa for the first time. It really is jarring. "Why he look like the skin UNDER the scab, though?"

21 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And why would anyone go pick up a fucking piano by himself?  Yeah I know he had a dolly but it would have made more sense to have another guy help him with it.  Stupid as fuck.

I laughed at this because I actually have sold a piano before, and the person who bought it a) was a cabinet-maker by trade, so he had his company's work truck with him, and b) came with two other guys from work to help him move it. He was fully prepared!

• Love 4

There is a fucked up sort of genius in this show that one week we get Bibby and the next we get Teddy. 

So Macabre.  I can appreciate DG thinking outside the box and doing something so avant garde.  I really dig it.  I just think this episode wasn't as clever as I think he thinks it was supposed to be.  It just felt, I dunno, self aware. 

But Lakeith Stansfield is definitely the person to carry this episode.  He was stellar.

All things considered, though, I still prefer Bibby.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I can appreciate DG thinking outside the box and doing something so avant garde.  I really dig it.  I just think this episode wasn't as clever as I think he thinks it was supposed to be.  It just felt, I dunno, self aware. 

Yes, that's what I was getting at but you phrased it much better. ; )  

I had mentioned in the previous episode thread that I was looking forward to seeing Darius, but this wasn't what I was expecting.   

We probably won't see Bibby again, and that's a shame. 

On 4/7/2018 at 10:09 AM, Drumpf1737 said:

Donald Glover is a genius. This episode was disturbing and heartbreaking and so effin weird! I loved it.

I would like to say I would have left sooner, but I have found myself in very weird situations with very weird people before so I can totally understand how Darius got caught up. 

I love how this show pushes us.

Donald Glover earned another Emmy with this one.

It was entertaining but after his role in Community, is it really that original?

That show played around with genres and little self-contained episodes out of left field.

Darius better play a lot of that ratty piano.

I love how Al is basically every audience member watching every horror movie. 

"Dude, you can tell this guy is a serial killer. Dont go in there!" "Your still there? Why?!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Oh I don't have a butler, this isn't an answering machine, it's a tape recorder where I leave myself messages so I don't forget them.    Tuh!  I'dve beat Michael Vick's time that day.

It creeped me the hell out but I couldn't stop watching.   I thought Teddy had made his brother up until he came out of the elevator.     

I thought Darius was over the minute he found himself in the basement talking to him. 

I thought Darius was over when Teddy walked him into the room with the Daddy statue.   Ya'll NONE of Darius' cultural training kicked in.  I mean na'am bit of it.  If you think Western Hemisphere black folk are scary, try somebody who's supposed to be African getting a look at Teddy for the first time and never heard him walk up on?  Lol. Chile please.  In the name of Michael Jackson's new face and all the ancestors, Father God, we. are. not. that. fucking. curious. 

When Darius finally got that thing outside and ole boy's car was blocking his path?  I really really lost my patience.  Because to wit:  

On 4/15/2018 at 1:03 PM, scrb said:

It was entertaining but after his role in Community, is it really that original?

That show played around with genres and little self-contained episodes out of left field.

Darius better play a lot of that ratty piano.

did he even come away with it?  Wasn't the last scene of the police on site?  

Other than my suspension of belief about Darius' reactions, I loved this episode.   Even if Darius shouldn'tve been that curious, I was.  

• Love 3
On 11/2/2018 at 9:56 AM, ZaldamoWilder said:

did he even come away with it?  Wasn't the last scene of the police on site?  

Other than my suspension of belief about Darius' reactions, I loved this episode.   Even if Darius shouldn'tve been that curious, I was.  

No, he didn’t get the piano; it was taken as evidence. 

What in the hell was that? 

I mean, it was interesting.  I didn't think it was funny, at all, just weird and creepy. 

Also didn't seem to fit in at all with the rest of the season, was kind of out there and pointless

This is one that just strikes me as trying way to hard to be artsy and macabre.  It was over the top seemingly for little reason. 

Seems most liked it, but I didn't. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What in the hell was that? 

I mean, it was interesting.  I didn't think it was funny, at all, just weird and creepy. 

Also didn't seem to fit in at all with the rest of the season, was kind of out there and pointless

This is one that just strikes me as trying way to hard to be artsy and macabre.  It was over the top seemingly for little reason. 

Seems most liked it, but I didn't. 

Well, come sit here by me. ; )

It creeped me out so much, and it was so bad, I thought I was going crazy because others seemed to like it so much.   

I was so creeped out that I cursed a lot in my posts.

• Love 1