Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Chief Operating Officer

• Start Topic

Encouraged by Jared to strike up a friendship with Dana, a like-minded CEO, Richard instead finds himself charmed by Dana's COO, who challenges his loyalty to Gilfoyle. Facing limited housing options thanks to his impulse purchase, Dinesh searches for a new roommate.

Promo:

Double crossover night! Richard Hendricks on Bob's Burgers and Tina Belcher on Silicon Valley.

Not gonna lie, Jared's reaction to the COO job genuinely touched my heart. And the Guilfoyle's roaring alert made me laugh whenever it showed up, although it was ridiculous.

• Love 8

Richard and Ben acting like they were having an affair was a fun take on the usual sexual affairs we see on tv. All the sneaking around and secrecy and denying that they were really doing anything when in fact they weren't actually doing anything but having lunch and discussing Pied Piper getting sued. I'm glad Richard what a sneaky lying fucker Ben is and declined to hire him.

Jared's reaction to being offered the COO job was so sweet. He is such a lovely person.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Richard and Ben acting like they were having an affair was a fun take on the usual sexual affairs we see on tv. All the sneaking around and secrecy and denying that they were really doing anything when in fact they weren't actually doing anything but having lunch and discussing Pied Piper getting sued. I'm glad Richard what a sneaky lying fucker Ben is and declined to hire him.

They never did follow up on why Ben had to suddenly leave his prior position before he went to Quiver.  Jared mentioned it, and it seemed to get forgotten.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

It thought it was strange that Dan Mintz was speaking in his Tina Belcher voice.  Is that just his natural voice?  It was weird to keep hearing her.

It is; I have listened to his stand-up album and he rivals Steven Wright in his ability to keep it as deadpan and emotion-free as possible during the delivery of his jokes.

• Love 1

I am baffled by Dinesh's absolute cluelessness, especially during the scene when the guys were trying to figure out how someone could have known about the fridges. Dude - you JUST told an outsider about that! Are we supposed to believe that he was that drunk that he forgot? This is playing out more as a possible Bighead plot than Dinesh, and I'm wondering if that's what it was originally conceived as (given that Brener seems to be MIA).

Loved the scene with Jared getting COO, and so glad that the Ben subplot is apparently over. I was worried it was going to be Jack Barker redux.

• Love 1

Jared constantly pushing Dana on Richard was super annoying to me.  

Also, someone telling me that I am something when I just fucking said I am NOT is infuriating and when the attorney kept pushing that Richard is racist against Asians made me hope Richard would punch him in the nose.

I mean, getting kicked out of your house does fucking suck, regardless who is going the kicking.  

I can't hate on Guilfoyle because, in my experience as the wife of a tech-type dork for 22 years, he is actually the most realistic character on the show.

The loud heavy metal alert...yeah, there would have been a time when my husband would have pulled that stunt.

• Love 9

Well, just when I figured Judge and Berg had hit rock bottom, they give us episode 3, perhaps the very worst among many bad SV episodes. This is fast approaching purile network sitcoms quality, with pretend romantic relationships and badly written characters who pop in and out of the show only to advance yet another incredibly lame plot device. And all of of the main characters, with the possible exception of Jared, have become insufferable and/or incredibly stupid and thick-headed. He's only mildly annoying doing what Judge and Berg tell him to do. 

If Jian Yang succeeds in creating a Chinese version of Pied Piper that fails as badly as its American progenitor, even his crooked uncle won't be able to protect him from the labor camps.

• Love 3

True story. A few years ago I was in a meeting with some of Microsoft's real estate people and a guy I was working with whipped out a tablet and pulled up a Google Street View photo of the property we were talking about. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Subrookie said:

True story. A few years ago I was in a meeting with some of Microsoft's real estate people and a guy I was working with whipped out a tablet and pulled up a Google Street View photo of the property we were talking about. 

It's funny because so many people think Microsoft is this cult who will murder you if you use products from their competition. I once worked for a company of which Microsoft was a client. Our CEO was a Mac user, but had a decoy Surface that he only used in meetings with Microsoft. I had to go to a meeting on their campus once and proudly used my MacBook Air to take notes. I got some strange looks, but I'm still alive.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Should Be Working said:

Well, just when I figured Judge and Berg had hit rock bottom, they give us episode 3, perhaps the very worst among many bad SV episodes. This is fast approaching purile network sitcoms quality, with pretend romantic relationships and badly written characters who pop in and out of the show only to advance yet another incredibly lame plot device. And all of of the main characters, with the possible exception of Jared, have become insufferable and/or incredibly stupid and thick-headed. He's only mildly annoying doing what Judge and Berg tell him to do. 

Agreed 100%.  Excellent critique.

I actually really liked this episode. I’m not sure why. I thought the joke of it being like an affair was nicely done. And I love to help Guilfoyle took it upon himself to figure out the truth and how serious and sublease week he looked when he was doing that. I don’t think Dinesh is clueless I think he’s guilty as hell and covering up he just hasn’t put it together about the mole

• Love 2
On 4/10/2018 at 12:58 PM, bethster2000 said:

I can't hate on Guilfoyle because, in my experience as the wife of a tech-type dork for 22 years, he is actually the most realistic character on the show.

The loud heavy metal alert...yeah, there would have been a time when my husband would have pulled that stunt.

Yep. He's my favorite of the nerd archetypes. And you always know where you stand with them.

I thought this episode was actually a setup for Guilfoyle to exit the show too (since they were showing him as being annoying, avoiding meetings, putting the company at legal risk), and I actually said out loud: "If Guilfoyle is leaving too, I'm out". And for a second with the ripped-apart fridge, I thought we were supposed to think he'd lost his mind.

That said, the stuff with ''all the devices are listening to us", and deadpan Dana, were quite timely this week what with robot Zuckerberg and the Senate hearings.

P.S., show is still kinda terrible. Eh, I started to type something about Monica and Laurie, but there's really no point. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

Hey! The "mole" is being played by Garfield from "Another Period"! I knew I had seen him somewhere!

He also played Hathwell on Burning Love, the show that introduced me to Kumail Nanjiani and Martin Starr.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2018 at 7:52 PM, chocolatine said:

It's funny because so many people think Microsoft is this cult who will murder you if you use products from their competition. I once worked for a company of which Microsoft was a client. Our CEO was a Mac user, but had a decoy Surface that he only used in meetings with Microsoft. I had to go to a meeting on their campus once and proudly used my MacBook Air to take notes. I got some strange looks, but I'm still alive.

There's a little truth to it. When Microsoft was selling the Zune they were pushing employees to ditch their iPods. Most people would buy 3rd party headphones to hide it. There were some local articles about it I can't find anymore but the whole story kind of funny. 

https://www.wired.com/2005/02/hide-your-ipod-here-comes-bill/

Edited by Subrookie
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Subrookie said:

There's a little truth to it. When Microsoft was selling the Zune they were pushing employees to ditch their iPods. Most people would buy 3rd party headphones to hide it. There were some local articles about it I can't find anymore but the whole story kind of funny. 

https://www.wired.com/2005/02/hide-your-ipod-here-comes-bill/

My one meeting at Microsoft was post-Bill, so I guess things were more chill by then.

On 4/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, kieyra said:

I thought this episode was actually a setup for Guilfoyle to exit the show too (since they were showing him as being annoying, avoiding meetings, putting the company at legal risk), and I actually said out loud: "If Guilfoyle is leaving too, I'm out". And for a second with the ripped-apart fridge, I thought we were supposed to think he'd lost his mind.

I kind of wonder if Kumail is going to leave since he's a little higher profile now and has a few other projects going on. 

On 4/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, kieyra said:

Yep. He's my favorite of the nerd archetypes. And you always know where you stand with them.

I agree to a point. I know lots of hardcore IT men and women, and all of them will give props in public when warranted. Even the cynics and the socially stunted ones.  It may be difficult for them, but they at least make the attempt. Gilfoyle is just a douche.

• Love 1