Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

Margot Robbie was not robbed of an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for Barbie.

Along those lines, IMUO, that movie was a pretentious, self-important plastic  dirge of a mess instead of being remotely close to being the ideal  feminist empowerment production that its  writers and cast wanted the viewers [and Oscar nominators/voters] to believe! Yeah, boo me!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

The Netflix special about the Boy Band scams made me recall this movie

It's been a long time since I watched it but I recall thinking it wasn't a bad movie despite getting real bad reviews

• Useful 2

Oh, god, yeah, wow, I remember that movie, too. My sister was a big *N Sync fan (still likes them), so I know I saw it at some point thanks to her. But yeah, it's been a long time ago. 

• Like 1

Re-watching Karate Kid 3, I think Miyagi should have helped Daniel out sooner.  

It's kind of interesting to me as well in the first movie he's first introduced as an eccentric handy man living a very simple life.  But yet somehow owns a lot of property and cars.   It's not until he meets Daniel his karate background comes to the surface. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

UO about the X-Men movies: Jean wasn’t that great, and both Scott and Logan could do better.

Jean was desperately underused. She could have got more and better, but no.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Yeah, they royally screwed up with her. Unfortunately, she was neither the first nor last female character in the Marvel/MCU movies that was butchered.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, they royally screwed up with her. Unfortunately, she was neither the first nor last female character in the Marvel/MCU movies that was butchered.

I seem to remember Jean was better in Apocalypse, but that was a bad movie. I didn't bother to see Dark Phoenix. One day I hope we get a good movie Jean.

• Like 2

My UO (is it a UO actually?) about love triangles: most of them suck. There is a rare case when the writers manage to write them in a way that none of the characters behaves like an idiot, cheater or asshole but it's very rare. Casablanca comes to mind as an example of a well-written love triangle where you can see how they got into it and can't really blame anyone. But most of the time, at least one, if not all of the characters are either cheating (obviously since it's a triangle - I don't count consensual poly relationships as love triangles for the purpose of this post), a terrible terrible person so we are supposed to forgive the cheating partner, or a complete idiot who doesn't see that they are being lied to in a rather obvious way. Or they are just pining after each other and it becomes insufferable. And it's especially frustrating in movies/TV shows like the already mentioned X-Men when there is so much else going on and the love story is not at all important to the plot, just added because someone thought we can't have movies without romantic plots.

I might still end up loving the movie despite the triangle in some cases (most of the adaptations of Arthurian mythology fall here), but depending on how much of the plot is centered around it, it can be very frustrating to watch. Unless it's eventually resolved by the characters ending in some sort of polyamorous relationship and are all ok with it (Sense8, I will love you forever), but that is also very, very rare. And don't judge me, but I think that many of the most frustrating love triangles would benefit from it (once again looking at Arthurian mythology and wanting to just scream at them to not be idiots - there is a reason why Mists of Avalon is my favorite adaptation, although they still managed to screw it up anyway).

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I seem to remember Jean was better in Apocalypse, but that was a bad movie. I didn't bother to see Dark Phoenix. One day I hope we get a good movie Jean.

The one good part about Apocalypse was that Jean got her Phoenix on without going psycho. Then of course they had to ruin that in the next movie—WTF were they thinking hiring the same writers that did The Last Stand?! Those idiots managed to rehash the same movie but worse! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

1 minute ago, JustHereForFood said:

My UO (is it a UO actually?) about love triangles: most of them suck.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Like 3

That's exactly why I hate love-triangles. I've never seen a good one. It's always too obvious who's going to end up together, one of them is either an idiot or a horrible person. If ever saw a good one I'd probably change my mind. I never thought three people couple could work until Once Upon a Time's Aurora, Philip and Mulan. They loved each other all so much they should have ended up together. In my mind they did. 

• Like 1

To be fair, you could say that about mostly anyone in the first trilogy who wasn't Wolverine, and I say this as someone who really enjoyed X2.

That's exactly why I hate love-triangles. I've never seen a good one.

I always liked the Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle on General Hospital (even though it was on TV and not a movie). It worked because you could see why she would want both men; Sonny was the man she loved the most, and Jax was the man who she was happiest with.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

UO about the X-Men movies: Jean wasn’t that great, and both Scott and Logan could do better.

I've said this before in the X-Men movies threads, but the only casting they got right was Logan, Professor X, and Magneto. Famke was just the WORST as Jean. Jean was supposed to be a powerful telepath, but she was so weak and afraid of her own powers, and couldn't handle them, which was utter bullshit. Yeah, the original '92 'toon gets mocked because she always falls in a faint, but even her Jean was better. Another casting fail was Scott/Cyclops. Both Scott and Logan are equals in different ways, but Marsden's Cyc just came off as a teen/boy in comparison to Jackman's Logan/Wolverine.

So after watching Deadpool and Wolverine (again) this past Friday, I watched the others, and UGH,  so many storylines (and I admit all my knowledge is from watching the toon and some of the comics I've read) are SO WRONG, as are the characters' relationships and histories. 

First, Scott is the OLDER brother; not Alex/Havok! And then the whackadoodle age fuck ups for Stryker (old dude in First Class, then deaged by 30 years in Days of Future Past when it's ten years LATER!)

Sabertooth and Logan as brothers? Spare ME.

Rogue should be with Gambit, and no, not Channing's!

I figured the best way to enjoy the ones I want to watch is to just ignore the fact that these are based on the comics and just happen to have the same names. 

• Applause 1

Famke was just the WORST as Jean. Jean was supposed to be a powerful telepath, but she was so weak and afraid of her own powers, and couldn't handle them, which was utter bullshit.

That's more on the writers and producers, not on Famke. I thought she was a good choice whose character could have been written a bit better.

And I liked Marsden as Cyclops.

• Like 4

The X-Men movies are trash from a bygone era of comic book films.  I can't really be critical of any of them because they were DOA from the get go.  Hopefully the future will be brighter.

4 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

The X-Men movies are trash from a bygone era of comic book films.  I can't really be critical of any of them because they were DOA from the get go.  Hopefully the future will be brighter.

No. The first two were good. Shame about the director, but the movies were good for the time.

• Like 8

Yeah, X2 is probably in my top 4 for favorite X-men movies (the other 3 being Days of Future Past, Logan, and Deadpool 2).

And while The Last Stand wasn't as good as the first two X-men movies, it wasn't that bad either. I'd rather re-watch it over New Mutants and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

• Like 2

X2 has its moments but still ultimately garbage in my view.  The first one was definitely trash.  Last Stand was a joke.

Even some of the later installments that managed to be decent quality films were still half assed in terms of adapting the source material, and also cursed by the legacy of the Singer film mythology poisoning its way into those movies.

45 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I think Wolverine is the most overrated comic book character ever.

Go ahead, pelt me with all the tomatoes you want!

I think that with the characters it is the marriage with the actor that makes it work.  Not a single story line from their 50 years of history or power sets.

• Applause 2

While on the topic of X-Men UOs, I liked Wolverine's first solo movie. I went three times to watch it in cinema and got the DVD as soon as it came out. I love the X-Men and that was what we were getting at the time. Plus, it had Gambit. 

• Like 1

I also despise love triangles and my hope is, when Marvel finally makes their X-Men movies, they either don't include Logan pining for Jean or write him having recognized she's not required to like him back and not be a dick about her loving Scott. Enough with Logan pining for Jean, her liking the attention enough to not discourage him, and Scott getting defensive. I like the first X movie a lot but Logan hating Scott because he was Jean's boyfriend which is the most absurd sixth grade bullshit I've seen. So if Jean never existed Logan may not have automatically hated Scott? I also wish Scott had stuck to his "if I had to do that [tell Logan to stay away from his girl] she wouldn't be my girl" rather than immediately follow up with "Logan stay away from my girl". I far prefer a Scott who knows Jean loves him and is committed to their relationship to a version who spends most of his time feeling threatened by Logan.

Marvel has been hit or miss when it comes to love interests anyway so let the established relationships do their thing and keep the love triangles out of the scripts.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I also wish Scott had stuck to his "if I had to do that [tell Logan to stay away from his girl] she wouldn't be my girl" rather than immediately follow up with "Logan stay away from my girl". I far prefer a Scott who knows Jean loves him and is committed to their relationship to a version who spends most of his time feeling threatened by Logan.

Bingo. Poor James Marsden. He almost always gets the short stick in romantic love triangle movies, doesn’t he?

I will admit I was indifferent about Wolverine until Hugh Jackman was cast.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
On 7/27/2024 at 1:04 PM, BlueSkies said:

The really unfunny one that comes to mind for me was Anchorman.  I mean perhaps today I would feel differently but I thought it was like the stupidest thing I ever watched.  And I like Christina Applegate as well.   I saw the film had like a 20th anniversary thing lately.  The only remotely funny scene I recall is when he literally starts eating shit.  

I like Anchorman but it seems weird to me that it seems to be held up as the funniest, most quotable, most meme-able Will Ferrell movie ever. Talladega Nights and Step Brothers are way funnier. 

Will Ferrell is fine... in extremely. Small. Doses.

I agree with the poster who said Casablanca has the only good love triangle. 

Even though X-men: Apocalypse is laughable garbage, the one thing it got right was letting Jean unleash her "Phoenix" powers be a good thing. I hate the "Dark Phoenix" storyline so much.

• Like 3
On 8/6/2024 at 10:12 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

And to this I say:

IMG_3150.jpeg.62b628ab2c1bc241f127055d1c7e660f.jpegIMG_3151.jpeg.5a5c502b878680ae43a7aa1b3bd40be8.jpegIMG_3152.jpeg.a6f906585ac73f5bad3ad7fe7cd35045.jpeg

Aaand THIS!!!!

IMG_3148.jpeg.2ea8812b3071bdfa0d713d067c20d18c.jpeg

WHAAAAAAAT?

Just ignore my Dr. Fauci Bobblehead!😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I only knew of that film because Madonnas Like A Prayer song is featured in it.

A big fan and all of hers but don’t see how that songs fits the themes of that film/genre at all.  Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill seems a better fit for modern times.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I only knew of that film because Madonnas Like A Prayer song is featured in it.

A big fan and all of hers but don’t see how that songs fits the themes of that film/genre at all. 

I thought it was brilliant. Hell, all of the songs were genius!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I thought it was brilliant. Hell, all of the songs were genius!

It’s good to hear.

I loved that whole album just didn’t exactly feel it hearing the song in the trailer for it.  

I like this song in Rocky 4

I have to admit though the first time I saw the fight afterword I laughed when Drago killed Apollo.  Apollo was way way to round and cocky here and Drago was a straight stone faced killer.

(edited)

I like Will Farrell comedies because he plays inbeciles and the movies knows they're ridiculous  and you're meant not to take him seriously. They show him failing more times than winning and it's funnier. Whereas I don't like comedies with Adam Sandler(who I like on SNL and in dramas) you're meant to see him as the hero and somehow noble no matter how obnoxious their behavior and supposed to root for him to win.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

I like Will Farrell comedies because he plays inbeciles and the movies knows they're ridiculous  and you're meant not to take him seriously. They show him failing more times than winning and it's funnier.

Still about as funny as anthrax.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Whereas I don't like comedies with Adam Sandler(who I like on SNL and in dramas) you're meant to see him as the hero and somehow noble no matter how obnoxious their behavior and supposed to root for him to win.

Can I join you at that table?  With the exception of The Wedding Singer, I've never really cared for Adam Sandler's comedies.

• Like 7
On 8/10/2024 at 12:54 PM, wallflower75 said:

Can I join you at that table?  With the exception of The Wedding Singer, I've never really cared for Adam Sandler's comedies.

Same here.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2024 at 6:47 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just ignore my Dr. Fauci Bobblehead!😂😂😂😂😂

I....was not prepared for the Fauci Bobblehead. Too cute!

On 8/4/2024 at 5:28 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe Jean is better written in the comics, but whether in live action or animation, I've always found her to be whiny.  Even in the latest TV adaptation, I preferred Madeline Pryor. 

But then, I believe very few male writers know how to write women (in general), so there's that. 

Yeah, he's as annoying as Jean is for me.

• Like 1
On 8/10/2024 at 2:54 PM, wallflower75 said:

I used to really like them in the 90's when he was more popular...  but yeah The Wedding Singer is really one of the few of them that aged well to me.  

• Like 1
On 8/10/2024 at 2:54 PM, wallflower75 said:

The only Adam Sandler comedy I like is 50 First Dates. I don't think man-children are funny. I don't understand the appeal of Billy Madison or Stepbrothers.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

The only Adam Sandler comedy I like is 50 First Dates. I don't think man-children are funny. I don't understand the appeal of Billy Madison or Stepbrothers.

Neither do I.

• Like 1

My UO: The superhero genre has become dominant because we want to see stars be awesome. I know playing weirdos and losers is more interesting but I'm not going to pay 20 dollars and waste 2 hours to see that! Play a regular person who's not a hot mess and people will see it.

• Like 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

My UO: The superhero genre has become dominant because we want to see stars be awesome. I know playing weirdos and losers is more interesting but I'm not going to pay 20 dollars and waste 2 hours to see that! Play a regular person who's not a hot mess and people will see it.

Of course most of the heroes secret identies are the weirdo and losers. Then came the MCU where most don't have a secret identity 

Edited by Raja
Auto filling strikes again
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

They are also predictable and relatively uncomplicated. Which is not a knock on the genre. I am a proud reader of romance novels, and romance is the backbone of the publishing industry because it is also predictable and relatively uncomplicated. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So do I, though I wanted to throttle Tea Leoni’s character.

Same!  I hated the way she treated her own daughter, who was awesome.

• Like 2