Type keyword(s) to search

Hopes and Fears: How Will We Survive This Island? (Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers)

quarks
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

From the Social Media thread

Please let Bruce Campbell be one of the Bads next season.   He's too old to be Cayden James but maybe he could be bankrolling Helix. Or a city Boss who Oliver runs afoul of when he's doing his mayor stuff.

Brain twin!  I just read that in Social Media and posted there my hopes he'd now show up on the show.  

He could be a fat cat evil business guy calling the shots.  Or here's a wild thought, make him an ally.  Someone we are allowed to love.  :D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

From the Social Media thread

Please let Bruce Campbell be one of the Bads next season.   He's too old to be Cayden James but maybe he could be bankrolling Helix. Or a city Boss who Oliver runs afoul of when he's doing his mayor stuff.

Was there anything on the show that indicated how old (roughly) Cayden James is?

(edited)
3 hours ago, bijoux said:

Was there anything on the show that indicated how old (roughly) Cayden James is?

No. We only know that Cayden is the world's most skilled hacker, he founded Helix, he's considered dangerous by ARGUS, he's male, and he appears to be sturdily built. I remember we were speculating about his relationship to Alena/Kojo - father, mentor, brother, relative, friend or lover.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I assumed that Cayden James was young because coding/hacking is a relatively new thing.  Frank Capra pointed out in his autobiography that most paradigm-shifting ideas occur to people in their 20s.  Bruce Campbell is 59 and that's an age unlikely to create a whole new thing (that's an age when you consolidate what you started when you were younger).  Also unlikely to inspire the kind of hero worship Alena had for him.

Felicity's dad is a world-class hacker. I don't think age has anything to do with it. 

That being said - I wouldn't look too much into Bruce Campbell's tweet - he knows SA. He was chatting with SA at his booth at a con I went to two years ago, and one of SA's friends posted about SA getting Bruce Campbell to leave him a voicemail. They're friendly at the very least. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I assumed that Cayden James was young because coding/hacking is a relatively new thing.  Frank Capra pointed out in his autobiography that most paradigm-shifting ideas occur to people in their 20s.  Bruce Campbell is 59 and that's an age unlikely to create a whole new thing (that's an age when you consolidate what you started when you were younger).  Also unlikely to inspire the kind of hero worship Alena had for him.

Matthew Broderick is 55.  He was 21(though playing 3-4 years younger) when he starred in Wargames - a movie about a hacker who almost starts WWIII.  Cayden James could be one of those old-time hackers who kept up with the times and eventually became an elder statesmen/father figure to a whole generation of hackers.

I pictured Cayden James as older than Felicity's generation.  So anywhere between mid/late thirties up to late forties (or early fifties but looks like in their forties).  

For me I see his age is less based on skill that what is fitting for a leader that could exist in almost cult like status among his followers and I more easily see a bunch of early to mid twenty somethings following an older, charismatic and kind of paternalistic guy that is making promises to save the world.  And for some reason I keep thinking if he was some young guy, ARGUS would just mold him into doing what they want whereas someone older would be too far sold on his ideologies to be swayed.  Hence being locked up in a shipping container.   

Of course I could be totally off on that.  

• Love 2

I know most people disliked Anna Hopkins' character, but I would like to see her do a "happy cowboy" deconstruction of Oliver like she did on Defiance.

Jessica "Berlin" Rainier: You're a real happy cowboy, aren't you?

Joshua Nolan: Did you really just call me a happy cowboy?

Jessica "Berlin" Rainier: It's written all over your face, the way you carry yourself. That jokey tough guy shtick. I bet you watched Star Wars a few hundred times when you were a kid.

Joshua Nolan: You know, we've been through a long, bloody war. Some of us have developed this thing called a sense of humor -

Jessica "Berlin" Rainier: Bull shtak.

Joshua Nolan: - to help us stay sane.

Jessica "Berlin" Rainier: You're not trying to paper over your nasty wartime past. We all have that. You're trying to hide the fact that you like where it dumped you out. Driving around in that busted-ass roller with your hot Chewbacca, chupping whores. Shooting people who cause you trouble. Call that hand cannon strapped to your side a blaster, and you've got the complete picture. You're living your fantasy, and it only took ten years of an apocalyptic war and the near destruction of the Earth's surface.

Joshua Nolan: Well, this is all very entertaining, if a little facile given that we've just met.

Jessica "Berlin" Rainier: Admit it, you like the world just the way it is: a playground for a man who'd rather not grow up than face the fact that this doesn't work for most everybody else.

I know it won't happen because for one thing I doubt the Arrow writers have the subtlety and insight to write something like that.

Except Oliver isn't at all that person.  He's NOT the happy cowboy.  At all.  And more than that, Samantha wouldn't have a clue as to what kind of person Oliver really was.  If they gave that kind of speech to her on Arrow she'd only wish to be merely as hated as she was now.    

• Love 9
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Here's my suggestions for the unofficial Arrow motto...

• Never say never.
  • Dead doesn't mean dead.
  • We'll get around to it eventually
  • MASKS!
  • Love 4

Bringing over from the Spoilers thread the discussion about whether JH could lead a theoretical BoP spinoff:

I don't know.  I don't know that anyone would have said Melissa Benoist had the charisma to be a lead back when she was on Glee - I know I saw a lot of concern when she was cast as Supergirl.  And I'm not sure how many people thought Caity Lotz could lead a show, and yet here we are (and yes, I'm sure there's some that still think that).  

*shrug* Just saying. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

In terms of Caity Lotz, she's grown into being someone who could anchor a show.  She's learned a lot in the past five years.  (Just my opinion)  But she's always had the physical parts of the role down so that's a boost.

Maybe it's a case of finding the right role for some actors and Kara/Supergirl is it for MB.

I don't think Dinah Drake/BC is it for JH right now but maybe like CL she can grow into it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I think someone leading a show has to be charismatic.  It's not enough to do a good acting job, you have to be the kind of person people want to tune in for.

SA does that to some extent, a number of people are still watching The Flash because of Grant Gustin, ditto with Meliss Benoist.  I'm not sure JH has that kind of appeal.

Every time I see Louse on The Inhumans I think how lucky Arrow got with EBR.

19 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Bringing over from the Spoilers thread the discussion about whether JH could lead a theoretical BoP spinoff:

I don't know.  I don't know that anyone would have said Melissa Benoist had the charisma to be a lead back when she was on Glee - I know I saw a lot of concern when she was cast as Supergirl.  And I'm not sure how many people thought Caity Lotz could lead a show, and yet here we are (and yes, I'm sure there's some that still think that).  

*shrug* Just saying. 

I'd be willing to give her a look in a series, but I think make or break would depend on who they surrounded her with because I think it's pretty clear that whatever charisma she might bring, it would be very different from a Grant Gustin or a MB type charisma or even a CL, but she might be able to go more an Oliver route if she had other to balance her more serious delivery.  And it's not like she's totally without warmth or humor, we saw glimpses of it last season.  But yeah, I think she would only be as good as the setup and cast around her.  

So definitely not a sure thing but there could be possibilities.  That said, I'd much rather just keep Arrow with Dinah just one of the minor support characters.  

• Love 1

While Caity has certainly taken the lead on Lot, I think the show lives and dies on the ensemble they created. 

Just as I could see JH or KC on a successful BoP  show but it would be dependent on the rest of the cast and it being ensemble. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

While Caity has certainly taken the lead on Lot, I think the show lives and dies on the ensemble they created. 

Just as I could see JH or KC on a successful BoP  show but it would be dependent on the rest of the cast and it being ensemble. 

True. The team chemistry is certainly the key on LOT, but I agree if anyone had said she'd be the anchor of a show when she first appeared on Arrow, I'd have been sceptical and I loved Sara from the get go. 

It's possible JH could anchor a BOP spin off, though I don't particularly want to see much more of her than we did in 6.01, it's possible she will improve or get given storylines which really suit her etc. For now I don't think the CW is focused on a BOP spin off at all. They've got BL to get off the ground, various other reboots in the pipeline and they're expanding Riverdale (with new and improved ratings ;) ) with Sabrina and if BR couldn't get a "build a spin off around me" commitment with less superhero shows, JH certainly can't. When Arrow ends, maybe and she certainly could be a good anchor at that time but like LOT with characters that have previously been brought in.

Depending on what DC/WB feel like at the time, it might also depend on which movies are in production for the DCEU at that particularly point. 

• Love 1

I feel like if they were ever gonna do a BOP, it would've been with KC since she has history with the CW. While JH seems nice, I think she's easily one of the worse actors across the DCTV shows. I can not imagine her carrying a show, as it was she had way too much screen time in the premier... I was cringing the whole time.

• Love 2

It's probably for the best they don't have a female-led show like BOP. Knowing these writers/EP's, they'll just bring on a male character at some point and make it all about him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just a guess...

601 - Oliver: "I am the Green Arrow."
623 - Oliver (to Team Arrow): "We are the Green Arrow."

(And yes, I was thinking of "We are Groot.")

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I wonder if that is still on (the Very Special episode) since they got such a backlash over.  I thought they might just very quietly drop it, never to be spoken of again.  But that might possibly be me being too optimistic. :)

• Love 2

I want to express my opinion that the writers are driving this Olicity and non-Green Arrow arc towards a series finale. All of these last few episodes have given me the feeling that the Olicity & Team Arrow are approaching the end of the line and season 6 will be the last season of Arrow.

10 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

I want to express my opinion that the writers are driving this Olicity and non-Green Arrow arc towards a series finale. All of these last few episodes have given me the feeling that the Olicity & Team Arrow are approaching the end of the line and season 6 will be the last season of Arrow.

What about the past episodes have given you the feeling? Any specific scenes? Part of me wonders if the BTS stuff with Kreisberg might affect production. I'd rather they get rid of Kreisberg and Guggenheim and bring in fresh and nonsexist/problematic EPs who can come up with more interesting stories for Arrow.

3 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

What about the past episodes have given you the feeling? Any specific scenes? Part of me wonders if the BTS stuff with Kreisberg might affect production. I'd rather they get rid of Kreisberg and Guggenheim and bring in fresh and nonsexist/problematic EPs who can come up with more interesting stories for Arrow.

Well, I think they suspended Kreisberg, so I doubt he returns. As far as my feelings about the end of the series this season; the Olicity scenes are wonderful, and what the fans have been clamoring for. These scenes seem endgame to me. William is home with Oliver AND Felicity, and they're giving off the glow of a happy family; more endgame. Diggle texted Felicity and asked her to come back to the lair and she declined, choosing instead to spend time with Oliver and William shooting rockets on the roof.  Diggle may be close to deciding that his family would and should come first and he's getting to the point where he may want to pass the vigilante business on to the younger team. Felicity and Curtis are planning their startup, so their time will be spent growing their empire. Rene may fight to get custody of his daughter, finally, and put down the guns and mask. It may be time to pass the mantle on to others or just let the damn police do what they're paid for and protect the f'ing city already.

2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Well, I think they suspended Kreisberg, so I doubt he returns. As far as my feelings about the end of the series this season; the Olicity scenes are wonderful, and what the fans have been clamoring for. These scenes seem endgame to me. William is home with Oliver AND Felicity, and they're giving off the glow of a happy family; more endgame. Diggle texted Felicity and asked her to come back to the lair and she declined, choosing instead to spend time with Oliver and William shooting rockets on the roof.  Diggle may be close to deciding that his family would and should come first and he's getting to the point where he may want to pass the vigilante business on to the younger team. Felicity and Curtis are planning their startup, so their time will be spent growing their empire. Rene may fight to get custody of his daughter, finally, and put down the guns and mask. It may be time to pass the mantle on to others or just let the damn police do what they're paid for and protect the f'ing city already.

If the show was spending more time on showing how the police were now effective and that the city didn't need help, I think I'd be more inclined to agree.   But while the show has been showing the characters branching out into having their own often happy lives beyond the mask, the season had Oliver handing over the mantle of the GA because of how important he thought it was to the city to have the GA.  And Diggle agreeing with him to the point of turning to drugs so he could carry out his part as the wearer of the hood.  

And while Curtis has involvement in the new start up, he traded his marriage for the life of a vigilante.  And Dinah seems no closer to walking away either.  So I don't feel that the show is writing yet toward tying up everything in a bow.  And while Felicity has the start up and is making family life a priority as well as Team Arrow, in this case, Dig's message clearly said it wasn't urgent, so I saw it more about Felicity working on balance, since at one point she would have dropped everything no matter what she was doing.  

Plus I have a hard time believing Arrow, one of the cheaper shows to produce compared to it's cousins, would be the first one to go.  Least not this year.  But yeah, I do think milking Olicity for drama with a capital D maybe coming to an end (thank goodness) 

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

If the show was spending more time on showing how the police were now effective and that the city didn't need help, I think I'd be more inclined to agree.

One of the many shows that I really enjoyed watching and was disappointed with its cancelling was "A.P.B.".  Now, as TA begins its slow fade, we could have Cisco, Felicity, Caitlin, H.R. & Curtis, begin to upgrade the Police Departments a la "A.P.B." into an elite fighting force to combat those rogue Metas.

Or, alternatively, we could spin off Felicity, as Oracle, Dinah, as Black Canary, Speedy, as The Huntress, & Caitlin, as Killer Frost, and reinvent "Birds of Prey".

Edited by Jacks-Son
6 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Kreisberg should go and if Marc knew and protected Kreisberg I wouldn't cry tears if he was gotten rid of ( however I'm pretty sure WB will just go for the perpetrator rather then all those around him that enabled his behavior) 

That being said I'd hope they promote within rather then bring in new show runners should Guggenheim go or leave or move on of his own accord. My experience from other shows where new outside show runners have been brought in is that they tend to want to make their mark by changing everything the old show runners established. Knowing our luck if there were brand new show runners brought in they'd decide to go super faithful to the comics.

I feel like there's enough talent within the Arrow writing team to promote someone else to show runner or just make Wendy the sole showrunner. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I kind of get what you're saying if this sort of stuff happened in an announced final season I'd be talking about how the show is giving it's characters/stories a satisfactory wrap up while setting the show up for off screen future adventures.

However, I'm 99% certain Arrow will be back for S7. S7 might be a planned/announced final season (if SA indicates he's done with Arrow). However, that's more dependent upon SA than anything else, the show doesn't end because it's EP/creator says so, Kripke bailed on SPN after S5 (his planned series end point) and that show is well into it's 13th season (3 or 4 Show Runners later). Arrow is still getting good ratings (for the CW) it's essentially tied demo wise with Supergirl and LoT (shows half Arrow's age) and doing better than any new show CW tries to launch. Neither the CW nor WB (Arrow makes them a ton of money in post sales) wants Arrow to end this season (or even next season, probably).

• Love 9

To add to this, even after the live numbers drops in season five, the showrunners and some of the actors have mentioned having tentative plans for season seven. I don't think that means season seven is a guarantee by any means, but the CW has renewed shows with even worse numbers, and the showrunners presumably have a reason to feel confident enough to make these tentative plans.

I have the feeling that there is a benefit to being part of a group of shows so that characters and storylines can cross over.  Dick Wolf especially is the master of this.  But I know very little about how shows work.

I think LoT is the best of the Arrowverse shows creatively and for enjoyment factor but I think if any of them is going to be cancelled it will be that one, if only for the cost of making each episode.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I mentioned one idea was that Lonnie Machin (Anarky) could be Cayden James' son, but that seems a little stupid now.  Felicity did a background check on the son and found his name.  Surely she'd have found a picture of him, too and would have recognized him.  Now I wonder if somehow Machin befriend Cayden's son, stole his identity and then murdered him while pretending to be him.  Then when Lonnie was arrested, the ID flagged him as Cayden's son.  However, it's hard to see how that plot would work without everyone, especially Cayden James, coming off as a complete idiot.

So here's an idea that could reasonably get Oliver and company out of their trouble with the Anti-Vigilante Act:  Let them be deputized.  Since they just helped save the world again, this time from super-powered Nazis from another dimension, they get Presidential Pardons covering all vigilante-related activity and are then made part of Star City PD as the SWAT that SWAT calls when they need help.  Basically they'd be deputized "vigilantes" having to abide by some police restrictions and if they don't they get hunted like criminals.

Or, hell, make them part of ARGUS or the FBI with FBI agent Watson as their liaison.  They get police powers and responsibilities.  Even Agent Watson would have to prefer Team Arrow to, you know, Nazis from another dimension.

And of course it can all go tits-up when they have to break their police agreement to stop Cayden James and there's your season finale.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Same. If they let them have a happy ending, I'd love them to have a baby, but only at the end of the series. A little sister for William would be a great parallel with Oliver and Thea! Aw. Now you guys have me thinking about Olicitots, what's happening?! ?

Moving this here cuz I intend to waffle on about it! 

You shall submit to the power of the Olicitot!

Muhahahahahaha

I want a few episodes of pregnant Felicity only because it will be a hoot to see Oliver's reaction! Can you imagine a scene where she tells him she's pregnant and his face *gets emotional thinking about it*

I am NOT getting my hopes up! They are married and I shall not be greedy! 

But I really want a pregnancy announcement and a doting Oliver. Plz TPTB!!!! Plzzzzzz! 

• Love 2

Photos from the Summer of Love could be seen in the Ivy Town house, the loft and Felicity’s PT office. Is t too much to ask for some photos from the reception to be shown in the background when the show returns?

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Photos from the Summer of Love could be seen in the Ivy Town house, the loft and Felicity’s PT office. Is t too much to ask for some photos from the reception to be shown in the background when the show returns?

Goodness knows Oliver's apartment needs a more personal touch, and if Barry and Iris have the fancy WestAllen promo poster as a photo at their place, I'd want that shot of Oliver's and Felicity's faces during Rene's speech at their place.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, way2interested said:

Goodness knows Oliver's apartment needs a more personal touch, and if Barry and Iris have the fancy WestAllen promo poster as a photo at their place, I'd want that shot of Oliver's and Felicity's faces during Rene's speech at their place.

Along with their SOTY AWARD!

• Love 3

I agree that Arrow will likely end with Stephen's departure. I just don't see how it can be sustained without him even with a passing of the mantle. Diggle's Green Arrow was always going to be a temporary stint and I can't see anybody stepping up from the current lineup of masks despite RG's constant comparison of his character to Oliver.

I'm more concerned about Emily stepping away before Stephen does. Because I'm just not interested in seeing Oliver with another woman. In that case, I'm pretty sure I'm going to say goodbye to Arrow. 

• Love 4

I think that if they wanted to do a sorta spinoff but keeping the same name (similar to what happened with OUAT), I could see a sustainable show if they shifted focus onto Roy becoming the Red Arrow.  We've seen his origin story start in season one of Arrow and having the show continue with the Green Arrow's successor would make a lot of sense - Green Arrow's story would still be his own and at the same time, Roy's story would also honor Oliver's story because he was his mentor.  Roy would keep the Green Arrow audience since he's been around since the beginning.  Say if Arrow lasted 13 years like Supernatural, that would leave just as much time for Red Arrow's journey as Oliver's - the show could still be called Arrow because it is still centered around the Arrow superhero name.  They could even show flashbacks to when Roy wasn't on Arrow to fill in the gaps.  The show would just shift focus to Roy and Thea and their new team in a different city - drop some mentions every so often about the star city team, but it would be a new beginning, but with core characters that we know and love.  I would totally watch that.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Arrow ends when SA leaves, no question, don't even understand the debate. They may attempt a finale spinoff like The Closer went to Major Crimes, keeping most of the parent shows supporting cast but, honestly I don't see that happening either. The noobs have not caught on in any shape or form and the ratings for all DC CW shows are on the decline.  By the time Arrow ends, either after S7 or later (if SA resigns his contract - I think he will) Arrow won't have the ratings to sustain another spinoff.

I agree on both that the show ends when SA decides to leave and that there won't be the ratings to keep going anyway.  I have my doubts it will carry to s8 even with SA on board.

8 hours ago, ComicFan777 said:

I think that if they wanted to do a sorta spinoff but keeping the same name (similar to what happened with OUAT), I could see a sustainable show if they shifted focus onto Roy becoming the Red Arrow.  We've seen his origin story start in season one of Arrow and having the show continue with the Green Arrow's successor would make a lot of sense - Green Arrow's story would still be his own and at the same time, Roy's story would also honor Oliver's story because he was his mentor.

Roy and Diggle are the only two characters who could sustain carrying on the show (all of the n00bs have failed except possibly Rory and he's gone) but if it were Roy and Thea, they should change both the name and the orientation of the show. Roy is wounded but not as broken as Oliver was.

I don't know what OUaT's ratings are like this season but the reboot is falling awfully flat for me.  Neither Andrew nor Victoria/Drusilla are as interesting as Emma and Regina were.

Listing here my hopes and wishes, things that will never happen but I still want to put them out into the universe:

1) Guggenheim steps down and is replaced by an experienced showrunner who can come up with entertaining instead of repetitive story lines, who can make sure his or her writers know how to come up with satisfying episodes EVER SINGLE WEEK, who prioritizes characterization over plot and providing POV to characters. 

2) KC finally leaves the show and never ever returns even for cameos.

3) ALL the newbies leave. Every single one of them.

4) CW Arrow official accounts learn from the Marvel TV accounts and shuts down hateful fans and misogynists.

5) CW/WB starts promoting OTA/Olicity and sell merchandise fans would actually want to buy. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
hear/here ... world/universe
  • Love 12
19 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Listing here my hopes and wishes, things that will never happen but I still want to put them out into the universe:

1) Guggenheim steps down and is replaced by an experienced showrunner who can come up with entertaining instead of repetitive story lines, who can make sure his or her writers know how to come up with satisfying episodes EVER SINGLE WEEK, who prioritizes characterization over plot and providing POV to characters. 

2) KC finally leaves the show and never ever returns even for cameos.

3) ALL the newbies leave. Every single one of them.

4) CW Arrow official accounts learn from the Marvel TV accounts and shuts down hateful fans and misogynists.

5) CW/WB starts promoting OTA/Olicity and sell merchandise fans would actually want to buy. 

I heartily endorse everything on your list except the first one because as much as MG can drive me nuts, he's the devil we know and it's too likely a new person would come in and want to put their own stamp on the show which the easiest thing to do I fear would be them coming in and deciding to make canon happen and in order to do that at this point it would mean not just a horrible end point but undoing and destroying anything that I love about the show and I'm just not brave enough to ever risk wishing for a new person. 

That said, I think it's likely that unless Arrow ends at season 7 MG will leave to concentrate on other projects.  I'm currently rooting for Mericle to retain the top spot on her own.  Even a new co-producer worries me.  Even if they promote from within.  Most of the time I try not to borrow trouble but that's the direction I could see it coming from.    

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

would be them coming in and deciding to make canon happen

By canon do you mean GA/BC?

I can't imagine them killing Olicity at this point - they've gone too far with it, especially if the show only has another season or two. 

If they did lose their minds and do that, though, I think it would end up being with Dinah, no matter how out of the blue that is.  Not saying that as a reassurance - I know that's no comfort whatsoever.  I'm just kind of thinking "out loud" so to speak.  I can't see them ever putting Oliver back together with any version of Laurel.  SA and KC just do not work at all - there's a reason they killed it off in the first place.

am curious to see whether they keep KC around after this season.  I'm not trying to endorse or promote any rumors by saying this, but I have always thought that AK was one of KC/Laurel's main supporters - MG not so much.  With him gone, I do wonder what KC's future with the show is.

• Love 4