Type keyword(s) to search

Hopes and Fears: How Will We Survive This Island? (Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers)

quarks
  • Start Topic

It’s not ideal but I would take that ending. I’m desperate for any happy ending right now. But it’s only possible if they keep future Felicity alive and I’m 😬 about that at the moment. 

• Love 2

That has been my faint hope since news that the FF might stick... that Oliver is somehow removed from the time-stream, perhaps becoming a guardian like the one from CoIE, and returns to the "future" in the last episode to reunite with Felicity and his children. Glad everyone seems to like my 20 years observation. 😊

• Love 8

I'm still holding out hope that the length of Oliver's absence has been exaggerated for the purpose of drama in the FF's.  Like he could have been back to the house in the country plenty of times for solid durations while Mia was growing up but just not when we saw.  Maybe only missing solidly for while Mia was in Star City (cause dude would not have been chill enough not to try and drag her home) and that the crisis actually had no long term effect.  

I keep thinking about the comics that had the Green Arrow and the Green Lantern travel around the country for reasons fighting crime (no, i have not read them, lol) and wondering if because of whatever happens in Star City, Oliver was forced to take hero-ing on the road.  Maybe he and Diggle are after someone.  Then something happened where they think he's dead or they know he's unreachable? And then by the finale he gets home, cue HEA.  

• Love 3
On 4/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, BkWurm1 said:

I'm still holding out hope that the length of Oliver's absence has been exaggerated for the purpose of drama in the FF's.  Like he could have been back to the house in the country plenty of times for solid durations while Mia was growing up but just not when we saw.  Maybe only missing solidly for while Mia was in Star City (cause dude would not have been chill enough not to try and drag her home) and that the crisis actually had no long term effect.  

I hope that's what happened. I can take the idea of him being missing or captured or presumed dead for a few years prior to 2040 (even though it would still suck balls that he and Felicity hadn't seen William since he went to live with the Claytons). But the idea of him being completely absent from Mia and Felicity's live is so awful.

tumblr_p87qefwkbb1wnuyw1o3_540.gif

Oliver has expressed two desires during his hero's journey: to save his city and to be able to live his life with his family. Ending the series with him having accomplished neither of those goals is so cruel. Seeing him reunite with his family after 20 years would undoubtedly be touching and emotional, but I wouldn't consider it a happy ending. It would actually feel like a shitty way to "reward" Oliver for the past 8 seasons of loss and sacrifice. I really hope Beth thinks both Oliver and the audience deserve a better payoff than that.

• Love 7
(edited)

I hope that the S8 episode voiceovers will be the following...

While Oliver is traveling with the Monitor, he is keeping a written journal but each entry is addressed to his wife. So each episode next season starts with an Oliver voiceover with Oliver's voice reading aloud a journal entry ("Dear Felicity...").  

Then at the end of the series (810), we cut to the future and see an Older Oliver closing his journal book and handing it over to an Older Felicity.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I'm most excited next week for Lyla and JJ to meet.. Also.. Man is it gonna be weird... When they say out loud that Digs Kid killed Rene's Kid and now Ollie's kid wants to Kill Dig's kid.... Awkward

According to imdb the deathstroke might not be JJ but Wilson offspring from Star City 2046. 

2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

According to imdb the deathstroke might not be JJ but Wilson offspring from Star City 2046. 

Well that would be a waste.. I'd rather the drama... Plus its my understanding that the actor who plays JJ us to be a part of this spinoff... At least the backdoor pilot... So if this is where Mia and the canaries are.. I'd imagine JJ is there as 

2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

They've been killing people since S1 for shock value and to help the hero "grow". We are only "invested" in 4/5 characters in the future, they were going to take a loss without a Canary spin off with these writers. Of course we dont have any confirmation either way but I'm doubting its because of the spin off.

Was anybody under the illusion Arrow wouldnt be killing off people for shock value? Its what all shows do. But there havent been that many major deaths featuring the main cast. 

2 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Well that would be a waste.. I'd rather the drama... Plus its my understanding that the actor who plays JJ us to be a part of this spinoff... At least the backdoor pilot... So if this is where Mia and the canaries are.. I'd imagine JJ is there as 

Well the backdoor pilot will include the new timeline and world order. So we dont know what role JJ may play in the backdoor pilot. 

4 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Was anybody under the illusion Arrow wouldnt be killing off people for shock value? Its what all shows do. But there havent been that many major deaths featuring the main cast. 

Well the backdoor pilot will include the new timeline and world order. So we dont know what role JJ may play in the backdoor pilot. 

Tommy/Moira/Quentin/Laurel? 

• Useful 1

Here’s a 99.9% tongue-in-cheek theory.  😄

What if JJ is evil, not because he didn’t get enough attention from his parents, but because he wasn’t supposed to exist? In the original timeline, JJ was baby!Sara, and Connor was JJ (adopted?).  So what if, by changing the timeline so that baby!Sara became baby!JJ, Barry accidentally created this dystopian future for Star City? 

As we suspected ....it’s all Barry’s fault!! 😂🤣😂🤣

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

As iconic tv couple moments go, I can easily think of three that I still remember exactly where I was when I saw them live:

• Doug & Carol’s surprise reunion (in my living room with my family, in shock and half-screaming at the tv)
  • Ross’ “Hey — my sweater!” (In the loft in my dorm with about 10 other girls, in shock and screaming at the tv)
  • Oliver’s “He took the wrong woman.” (sitting on my bed at home, in shock and whisper-screaming at the tv)
  • Love 6

In a way, this final season of Arrow (including the crossover so far) has been a rebuttal to Arrow's 100th episode.

The premise of the 100th episode was that Oliver would've had an idyllic happy life if he had never gone on that fateful The Queen's Gambit trip and that he would've become a better man naturally as he got older.

Of course, we know that is ludicrous. If Oliver had not gone on that boat trip, he would've married Laurel and continued to be an unfaithful, selfish jerk. Most likely, his mother would've continued covering up his mistakes and indiscretions. Eventually, Oliver's marriage would've been just like his parents, where he cheated repeatedly on Laurel, while she turned a blind eye. They would've been a power couple in the city. But he - like his father - probably would've ended up with a secret family on the side.

This season we saw Oliver acknowledge (to Mia) that, because he went on that boat trip (which led to everything that happened to him during those five years), he became a better man than the one he was before that trip. ("This island taught me to survive. It turned me into someone else, somebody better than the person I was before.")

Then, in the COIE crossover, we saw Sara tell Earth-16 Old Oliver that going on that boat trip ultimately led to better lives for both of them on her Earth. ("You became a hero, a husband, a father. And I'm flying through time happier than I've ever been. And none of that would've ever happened if I didn't get on that boat with you. It was destiny.").

Both of these scenes rebut any notion that Oliver's life would've been perfect if he just hadn't gone on that boat trip.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7