Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: Royal Visit

I'm living in Kansas so it was nice to to George Brett & hear part of the pine tar bat story again. Of course Cam would be a fan. A word, Cam, sunscreen.

• Love 3

Alex has her own Dylan!

I think that Haley's new  boyfriend is rubbing off on her. She's been quite bright the last few episodes. 

Jay and Gloria were ok

Cam and Mitchell were just sniping as usual. 

• Love 3

Cam and Mitchell's silent fight by hand gestures and body language cracked me up. 

I love that Alex has a "regular" boyfriend even if he isn't the smartest. It is about time that she experiences some normalcy and pleasure in her love life.

Hayley's new boyfriend is okay, better than most of the others. I am not sure that they are going anywhere, but she could do worse and has. I did like her confronting Alex about she was treating the guy.

Gloria and Jay's story was just okay until the end with Gloria fleeing from the cop. Jay's reaction had me laughing. I laughed even louder when he asked the cop for the cinnabon. I totally could relate.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

Without watching another episode, this is already my favorite since Joe learned how to walk -- for purely "Royal" reasons.

A little inside baseball info on the, uh, baseball part: fellow Royals fan & Stonestreet pal David Koechner directed a -- well, meta-documentary (metamentary?) -- on the whole George Brett/Billy Martin fight.  There is an actual book called The Pine Tar Incident, and Koechner's film was a mockumentary on the making of a (not real)film based on the (real)book. 

*whew*

2 hours ago, AEMom said:

Alex has her own Dylan!

Ha! I thought that too!  

Only Dylan may have been smarter.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I love that Alex has a "regular" boyfriend even if he isn't the smartest. It is about time that she experiences some normalcy and pleasure in her love life.

Hayley's new boyfriend is okay, better than most of the others. I am not sure that they are going anywhere, but she could do worse and has. I did like her confronting Alex about she was treating the guy.

I wasn't expecting the show to go in the direction it did with this. I thought Hayley would be into Alex's new boyfriend and dump current beau to steal Alex's. I liked they went a different way. 

• Love 10

OK episode.  Cam & Mitch are still my favorite couple.  Jay & Gloria are the weakest link here, with Phil (used to love him, not so much now) & Claire (always hated her) a close second.  The girls were actually interesting this episode.

• Love 1

I wasn't expecting the show to go in the direction it did with this. I thought Hayley would be into Alex's new boyfriend and dump current beau to steal Alex's. I liked they went a different way. 

I was also sure that Haley would go after Alex's boy toy, and glad (and shocked) they didn't.......yet.

The "7 ate 9" joke was also told by the single dumbest character ever on sitcom TV, Kandi in Two and a Half Men, so this guy has a lot to live up to.

The Cam and Mitchell story line AGAIN brought up the question of why these 2 are together.....and that they are just no very nice people in general and certainly not to each other.

By the way, another week with no Lily and this week joined by Manny. They are really rotating the kids this season.

Was not sure where they were going with the Jay/Gloria story line and the answer was "no where".

• Love 1

Nothing about this episode worked for me.

The British guy is utterly annoying and the actor is terrible. Tone it down, this isn't pantomime.

Haley and Alex, or I guess I should say their respective actresses, look so much like mini Kardashian clones that it's actually kind of sad. Lip fillers, cheek fillers, pounds of makeup...I'm remembering the earlier seasons and both looked normal. Pretty sad. Eric Stonestreet and Julie Bowen's newly plastic faces are so distracting and have been all season.

Don't know anything about baseball or who George Brett is, so that plotline was a miss for me too.

I'm not one of those types who says "this show needs to be put out of its misery" (because the option of just not watching it still exists) but I do wish they'd tone everything down and make it less cartoonish.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, AriAu said:

I was also sure that Haley would go after Alex's boy toy, and glad (and shocked) they didn't.......yet.

I also loved that Haley said that her boyfriend never makes her feel that she is not as smart as him as Alex has always done with her. She also pointed out that Alex had a great chance to be happy with a guy that was good looking, sweet, cares about her, age appropriate and is employed. It would be great for Alex to be with a guy that makes her happy and one that she treats well as a result regardless of his intelligence.

Of course, Luke thought Alex's boyfriend was Haley's super smart boyfriend and they ended talking about the zombie apocalypse. Never change Luke.

• Love 17

I'm feeling like the set-ups are starting to become increasingly frustrating, but the cast plays them off so well.

Cam has lived in California for at least, what.... 15 years? He could never take the opportunity to go to Spring Training, maybe take Lily as a child? But once he and George Brett were together, there was some real fun.

Mitch and Cam during the Silent Meditation was a classic Modern Family gag, and worked pretty well at diffusing yet another "Mitch and Cam" disagreement.

Phil and Claire and Jay and Gloria's set ups were pretty predictable and nothing too unusual, but the banter of the Police Escape and Claire's "Still counts!" provided the laughs.

I'm glad they see the finale on the horizon.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, voiceover said:

A little inside baseball info on the, uh, baseball part: fellow Royals fan & Stonestreet pal David Koechner directed a -- well, meta-documentary (metamentary?) -- on the whole George Brett/Billy Martin fight.  There is an actual book called The Pine Tar Incident, and Koechner's film was a mockumentary on the making of a (not real)film based on the (real)book. 

Coincidentally, Alex's boyfriend was played by the star of American Vandal, the mockumentary that makes fun of true crime films.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Haley and Alex, or I guess I should say their respective actresses, look so much like mini Kardashian clones that it's actually kind of sad. Lip fillers, cheek fillers, pounds of makeup...I'm remembering the earlier seasons and both looked normal. Pretty sad. Eric Stonestreet and Julie Bowen's newly plastic faces are so distracting and have been all season.

I understand the pressures on Stonestreet and Bowen given the ageism in Hollywood, but Ariel Winter and Sarah Hyland are so young and they are already botoxing, filling, etc. Ugh. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I really like Alex's new boyfriend. She has her own Dylan, but this one is actually employed, and, if he`s a fire fighter, probably good at some stuff at least! I also thought that Haley would go for the hot dumb guy and the Professor would rebound with Alex, but I like what they did instead. I like the idea that the two sisters are dating guys that are kind of each others "type" and thats a good thing. The professor is making Haley a bit more intellectually curious, and the firefighter can make Alex loosen up a bit. 

I always like Cams love of sports, I enjoy his passion for it, and you can tell the writers enjoy making sports jokes. He and Mitch having a whole fight in silence was super funny, even though their relationship really DOES have some serious issues they need to deal with. 

"I called Pluto a planet, and Haley laughed at me with pity. Haley!" "Oh, she saved Joe. And America." 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, AriAu said:

The "7 ate 9" joke was also told by the single dumbest character ever on sitcom TV, Kandi in Two and a Half Men, so this guy has a lot to live up to.

It's so weird, I know I've heard that joke in at least three tv shows or movies in the last month. Why is it popping up all over the place lately?

Cam has lived in California for at least, what.... 15 years? He could never take the opportunity to go to Spring Training, maybe take Lily as a child?

For what it's worth, the KC Royals' spring training camp is not in California, but Surprise, Arizona--part of Phoenix metro area. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Mystery said:

Alex looked someone had punched her in the mouth. 

3 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

I thought something was different with her lips, glad I'm not the only one.

And here I was thinking Alex's lip color was very flattering!

(I thought the actress had some lip filler before they started filming this season, which is crazy given her age, and it's more back to normal now.)

• Love 2

I just saw the first two episodes of Modern Family.  What a difference.  I think the problem is that everyone is older AND the writers have run out of ideas.  What made some of the characters funny & quirky in the beginning now makes them annoying (Claire). 

On 29/03/2018 at 1:11 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Airel Winter is a total mess - the kid is only 20, & this is what she's done to her face.  I heard that she's "taking a break" from law school - sigh!  Julie Bowen (& Leah Remini) should be leaving their faces alone!  Sarah Hyland has some health issues & the meds make her face puff up.

Once again Cam was totally at fault but tries to make it seem like a misunderstanding or deflect blame.

And I assume it was his idea to go to this place in the first place

Such a petty and childish character. 

• Love 4
On 3/30/2018 at 7:08 AM, UncleChuck said:

For what it's worth, the KC Royals' spring training camp is not in California, but Surprise, Arizona--part of Phoenix metro area. 

When I lived in San Diego, my friend's dad used to drive to Phoenix for spring training every year. He was super into baseball and I am not so every year I was like really? Your dad's driving to Phoenix to watch baseball? You know if he just waits a month, there will be baseball on tv!

I liked the part when Jay did push ups, so it prompts Gloria to put together that he only had one breakfast, dressing younger and she says, "Who is she, I'll kill her!" Best line of the epi. She loves her Jay. 

Cam and Mitch are predictable and boring. 

• Love 1