Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E12: After the Final Rose

• Start Topic

My favorite part of the night was when CH asked me if I even managed to get any sleep last night, because he sure didn't. I mean, it was a bit rough, my cat woke me up a few times attacking my roommate's dog and generally being needy, but... oh, wait, you mean because some guy I've never met broke off a 6 week engagement with some girl I also haven't met and allowed it to be televised likely because his contract stated that it had to be? Umm... no... can't say I was tossing and turning.

People seem to be taking this A BIT dramatically. I was in the UK last week and just caught up (hence my commenting on page 11 of the forums and probably nobody ever seeing this post), but I had two friends text me almost simultaneously to ask if I'd watched and was pretty immediately spoiled by the news outlets and social media. But, I was kind of disappointed that the supposedly shocking finale was just Arie dumping Becca for Lauren.

People make mistakes. I could easily see myself being in Arie's shoes (although operating at a higher IQ level) and not really knowing who to pick at the end of a two month period where I was expected to rapidly develop intense feelings for multiple people and choose one as a life partner. He followed his head instead of his heart, an easy mistake to make. The good thing is that he actually realized it so early on and was able to rectify it. 

He went wrong in two areas: 1) Shouldn't have let the show pressure him into proposing. 2) Shouldn't have allowed it to be filmed, although, again, contracts.

Otherwise, if he hadn't broken it off with Becca before the finale, she wouldn't be Bachelorette today (an infinitely better deal than being F1). He and Lauren look ridiculously adorable and happy in their post-show photos. They're in Iceland right now. They're cute and I'm happy for them. She's not all that bright or interesting, but let's be honest, neither is he. I hope things work out for them. Whatever. 

Like, just this outrage over how he handled things in a really intense, confusing, short amount of time while being confined by the show and dealing with the spotlight is just too much. Should he have broken up with Becca a year from now after acting his way through a relationship and giving it an "appropriate" amount of time even though he knew it was wrong? Lost Lauren for good? Told Becca right away that he'd called Lauren and realized he wanted to be with her before he properly thought the whole thing over? He should have broken up with her privately, but otherwise, there wasn't a great way to deal with his dilemma. He was actually on a time constraint if he wanted to make it work with Lauren.

Man, people on the Internet would TEAR me apart if they were following my own personal life right now, ha! Nobody's perfect.

Also, Becca clearly consented to the cameras following her through the airport, onto the plane, and back to her home... 

Just saying, he didn't handle it super well, but it hardly makes him the worst person in the world. Just kind of dumb and easily pressured is all. Chris Harrison deserves far more vitriol, in my opinion.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, jade.black said:

He went wrong in two areas: 1) Shouldn't have let the show pressure him into proposing. 2) Shouldn't have allowed it to be filmed, although, again, contracts.

Thing is, he didn't have to propose. Production would happily have spun his non-proposal as the most shocking non-proposal of all time!!!! Arie tells two (three) women he is in love with them then can't choose between them? They would have had a field day with that. 

I think Arie is just very weak willed and went with what seemed like the "safe" choice in Becca then freaked out and went with the "hard to get" choice in Lauren.

As to the whole filming, he has admitted and everyone seems to be backing it up, that it was his idea. Of course he's claiming he did it for Becca (oh please) but it wasn't something he was forced to do per his contract. That is what has people up in arms. Not that he changed his mind because you're right, people do, and it is better to admit it now than get further into an engagement and heaven forbid marriage that he wasn't 100% into. But it is the way he went about it all and how he's trying to act like he was being so selfless and good by putting it all on air. Not to mention how tacky it was to propose to Lauren with his ex-fiancé a few feet away. And how he basically said he is 100% over the woman he said he loved and proposed to to the world. Even if she never really loved him, she did have feelings for him so that must have hurt. Especially since the whole time he was with her he admits he was thinking of the other woman. He's just a grade a asshole. 

I didn't lose any sleep over it and could really care less what happens to him. or Lauren. They are perfect for each other so it all ended the way it should. He showed himself for the selfish jerk he is, Lauren got her third or is it forth fiancé and Becca got Bachelorette, oh, and the show got some if it's highest finale ratings of all time. Alls well that ends well. haha

13 minutes ago, jade.black said:

Man, people on the Internet would TEAR me apart if they were following my own personal life right now, ha! Nobody's perfect.

Which is why anyone with half a brain and isn't a famewhore wouldn't go on this shit show. haha

• Love 11
1 hour ago, jade.black said:

Well... he also went wrong: 3) Not giving her a damn clue what was about to happen 4) firming things up with Lauren (per multiple reports) before moving on from Becca...

i dont mind that he ‘switched’. I mind how he did it. He didnt have to crish her publicly to get her the sympathy needed to be the Bachelorette. (Melissa Rycroft allegedly knew, and she was americas sweetheart anyway - and Jason reportedly had no idea if Molly would take him back). I remember being mad at Jason for kissing Molly on the ATFR, not proposing to her!!!

Edited by fib
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, fib said:

Well... he also went wrong: 3) Not giving her a damn clue what was about to happen 4) firming things up with Lauren (per multiple reports) before moving on from Becca...

And maybe 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ???? times he had sex with his "fiancee`" while pretending to be in love with her.  DISGUSTING!

• Love 13

I don't know that sleeping with Becca while they were officially engaged is any worse than sleeping with the final 3 on back to back nights. That's far more disgusting to me and it happens almost every season.

• Love 4
On 13/03/2018 at 7:27 PM, Mabinogia said:

As to the whole filming, he has admitted and everyone seems to be backing it up, that it was his idea. Of course he's claiming he did it for Becca (oh please) but it wasn't something he was forced to do per his contract. That is what has people up in arms. Not that he changed his mind because you're right, people do, and it is better to admit it now than get further into an engagement and heaven forbid marriage that he wasn't 100% into. But it is the way he went about it all and how he's trying to act like he was being so selfless and good by putting it all on air. Not to mention how tacky it was to propose to Lauren with his ex-fiancé a few feet away. And how he basically said he is 100% over the woman he said he loved and proposed to to the world. Even if she never really loved him, she did have feelings for him so that must have hurt. Especially since the whole time he was with her he admits he was thinking of the other woman. He's just a grade a asshole. 

I didn't lose any sleep over it and could really care less what happens to him. or Lauren. They are perfect for each other so it all ended the way it should. He showed himself for the selfish jerk he is, Lauren got her third or is it forth fiancé and Becca got Bachelorette, oh, and the show got some if it's highest finale ratings of all time. Alls well that ends well. haha

You've nicely come up with all the points that have completely turned me off him. I was looking forward to this season, I expected it to be a lot of fun because I remembered Arie as being very entertaining. At his worst, I thought he would be overly sarcastic and not invested, and that's even more amusing. Turning out to be a general piece of shit was disappointing. Oh well, at least it gave me the chance to watch the funny Dean & Nick clip. I didn't watch Nick's season but now I think I might, perhaps the producers didn't also neuter him. All I ask for is entertainment without dragging the women in the mud.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PreBabylonia said:

At his worst, I thought he would be overly sarcastic and not invested, and that's even more amusing.

That's what I was looking forward to. What a disappointment. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

You've nicely come up with all the points that have completely turned me off him. I was looking forward to this season, I expected it to be a lot of fun because I remembered Arie as being very entertaining. At his worst, I thought he would be overly sarcastic and not invested, and that's even more amusing. Turning out to be a general piece of shit was disappointing. Oh well, at least it gave me the chance to watch the funny Dean & Nick clip. I didn't watch Nick's season but now I think I might, perhaps the producers didn't also neuter him. All I ask for is entertainment without dragging the women in the mud.

Wait, what Dean & Nick clip!?  Where find??

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Ha Haaaahahhaaaaaaaa 

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Hahaaaaahhhaaaaaa! Thanks! Ha - nice cardigan!

Edited by bequialife
double posted; delete one

Some of you must have missed Charlie O’Connell’s season- he could not make up his mind between the final 2 and at the finale announced he was going to continue to date both women until he decided. I would have been out of there right then and there!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Some of you must have missed Charlie O’Connell’s season- he could not make up his mind between the final 2 and at the finale announced he was going to continue to date both women until he decided. I would have been out of there right then and there!!

I did not see his season but I will say, as one of the final two, yeah, I probably would have been all "later dude" if he said that, but as a viewer I actually appreciate that he didn't succumb to the pressure of proposing to someone when he still "had feelings" for someone else. See Arie, it can be done. If you aren't ready to commit to just one woman, don't propose. Despite what some of them will try to make you think, production is not holding a gun to their heads, they do have a choice. Charlie chose to say he wasn't ready, Arie chose to propose to a woman he knew he didn't 100% love since he still loved the other one more but was too scared to propose to her. 

• Love 1

I never really got all the Charlie hate. The only real difference between what he did and anyone else just dating casually and non-exclusively unless or until they decide to settle down and date one person exclusively is that in normal life, one does not make an announcement of the plan; you just do it. And as long as the women in question were equally free to date around as they chose, I really don't have an issue with it. The realist in me always kind of appreciates it when a lead actually pulls their head out of the Bachelor sand enough to do something that might actually make sense in the real world. That's why what's-his-face who picked nobody is, in a weird way, my favourite (even though I didn't even actually watch that season...). If you truly are ready for marriage and that's your goal, and none of the options presented to you are someone you could actually see yourself marrying, why waste everyone's time?

I think it's far worse to pull the rug out from under someone like Arie did. Even if it's a small rug that she was really only barely standing on.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

I never really got all the Charlie hate. The only real difference between what he did and anyone else just dating casually and non-exclusively unless or until they decide to settle down and date one person exclusively is that in normal life, one does not make an announcement of the plan; you just do it. And as long as the women in question were equally free to date around as they chose, I really don't have an issue with it. The realist in me always kind of appreciates it when a lead actually pulls their head out of the Bachelor sand enough to do something that might actually make sense in the real world. That's why what's-his-face who picked nobody is, in a weird way, my favourite (even though I didn't even actually watch that season...). If you truly are ready for marriage and that's your goal, and none of the options presented to you are someone you could actually see yourself marrying, why waste everyone's time?

I think it's far worse to pull the rug out from under someone like Arie did. Even if it's a small rug that she was really only barely standing on.

If you had watched Charlie’s season, you’d understand the hate. I’m as Wrong Reasons a watcher as they come, and even he was too skeezy in my estimation. And, yeah, no one has used the word “skeezy” in ~25 years, but it’s the only word to describe him. I think one of the lowlights was doing body shots off of the girls during a group date. I think this was during the era of the VH-1 “of Love” shows—which was, IMO, the golden days of reality dating shows—and I think Charlie was Bachelor Family’s answer to the VH-1 sleazy competition. I think it just didn’t work because this was back when Bachelor was all about the Love Journey fairy tale and didn’t lean into the Wrong Reasons angle yet, so this VH-1 reject sullied image of Bachelor. Mind you, the seasons I missed of Bachelor/ette was in the heyday of VH-1. I think “Real Chance of Love” was on at the same time and I chose VH-1 until Megan’s purported “Millionaire” had to go commit a murder-suicide and toppled the whole damn network! But, I digress... Maybe Charlie was ahead of his time because he would have been perfect in Paradise or Bachelor Pad, but he was NOT Bachelor lead material. Nothing to do with how the show ended—just how he was throughout the season.

6 hours ago, JenE4 said:

If you had watched Charlie’s season, you’d understand the hate. I’m as Wrong Reasons a watcher as they come, and even he was too skeezy in my estimation. And, yeah, no one has used the word “skeezy” in ~25 years, but it’s the only word to describe him. I think one of the lowlights was doing body shots off of the girls during a group date. I think this was during the era of the VH-1 “of Love” shows—which was, IMO, the golden days of reality dating shows—and I think Charlie was Bachelor Family’s answer to the VH-1 sleazy competition. I think it just didn’t work because this was back when Bachelor was all about the Love Journey fairy tale and didn’t lean into the Wrong Reasons angle yet, so this VH-1 reject sullied image of Bachelor. Mind you, the seasons I missed of Bachelor/ette was in the heyday of VH-1. I think “Real Chance of Love” was on at the same time and I chose VH-1 until Megan’s purported “Millionaire” had to go commit a murder-suicide and toppled the whole damn network! But, I digress... Maybe Charlie was ahead of his time because he would have been perfect in Paradise or Bachelor Pad, but he was NOT Bachelor lead material. Nothing to do with how the show ended—just how he was throughout the season.

Charlie could only aspire to be part of something that gave us the joy of “dicksucker whorebag”.

Rock of Love you will never be forgotten....

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Charlie could only aspire to be part of something that gave us the joy of “dicksucker whorebag”.

Rock of love was the greatest.  Skeezers and Geezers all meeting in an unholy alliance of cheap tequila, Bert’s synthetic wig, wet seal closeouts, halitosis and a side order of herpes.

maybe the halitosis was an FOL thing, though. 

• Love 6

Aw, I liked Charlie.  Skeevy, sure, but he never pretended not to be, unlike the fake "good guys" from the last several seasons.  And Charlie did get a pretty long-term relationship out of the show -- weren't they together about five years?  She wasn't one of the airheads, either; a nurse who was on the quiet side, I think.  And I'll always love that season for giving us delusional Big Sarah, whose own father told Charlie that she was batshit crazy.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Now that you mention it, yes, I do recall that there was found to be a general veneer of sleeze over the whole season. Still, though, the whole premise has one person basically lording it over a harem. This sort of behaviour still seems more realistic to me than most... But I suppose if the show (and its audience) was still pretending there was a good shot at real love and marriage, I can see how that would not sit well with that concept. I wonder how it would be received if it had happened now instead of then.

17 hours ago, bosawks said:

Rock of Love remains one of my favourite things to ever grace my TV. I will take a backstage pass over a rose any day.

• Love 4
On 3/20/2018 at 3:48 PM, Mu Shu said:

Well as long as he didn’t do a cooter shot all is good.

brad Womack was the man.  Sexy guy with cash money.

He has always been my favorite. I never blamed him for not picking someone the first time around. He probably shouldn't have picked Emily the second time, but he was doe-eyed from her from the very beginning. He did make that comment about "dodging a bullet" when her season started.

• Love 3
On 2018-03-20 at 6:54 PM, bosawks said:

On 2018-03-21 at 12:41 PM, kingshearte said:

Rock of Love remains one of my favourite things to ever grace my TV. I will take a backstage pass over a rose any day.

Glad that I am not alone in my guilty pleasure. (I almost wrote "dirty pleasure"). I recall watching it until the early hours. aware I should go to bed earlier before working but just being hooked on all the bad taste. He certainly had a weakness for porn stars and strippers. I really like Daisy too - she was my favourite of all the skeevy women. (I still use that word too...)

I've not watched any of the earlier seasons, nothing before Brad's second time, I think. Are the first few seasons entertaining?

• Love 2