Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Pimple Popper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Boobs that big are totally a medical necessity! She needs to play up how much they make her back hurt(because I am sure they do) I bet she doesn't complain at all so the Dr. just thinks they are not bothering her. She would feel a million times better with a reduction. A better bra is also a good idea, but a bra for that size would be crazy expensive.

• Love 3

I haven't been on this site in forever. Thanks Dr. Pimple Popper for bringing me back. 

Re: procedures in the office--unfortunately I've got quite a bit of experience with this. I've had two melanomas removed plus a basal cell carcinoma. The basal cell was on my back, along with one of the melanomas. The other was on my arm. They all cropped up at different times so I didn't have to have them removed at once, thankfully. The only one that was done in a hospital was the one on my arm. The other two were in the office. The melanoma on my back took over ninety minutes to remove and sew up. That was an absolute PIA and took an entire summer to heal. Wear your sunscreen, please. You do NOT want to deal with skin cancer. I go every six months and have a full body check, aka check my dignity at the door. 

Re: the woman who was nervous/anxious/nauseous/shaking--she might have what I have, which is vasovagal syncope. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex_syncope I don't pass out every time, but for my procedures I've had all the symptoms she had at one time or another. The problem is that you don't really know how you're going to react until you have the procedure. For my back melanoma I was fine, but for the basal one my body started trembling. I've reacted badly to enough procedures that now I just tell the doc I have syncope ahead of time and they can put me under some type of sedation. I think with the woman there wasn't anything the doctor could do except hurry up and finish in case she did throw up or pass out. I don't think it was either of their faults; it's just something that can happen in reaction to physical stress that's perceived by the body as an attack. 

I'm also a longtime DPP watcher on YT and I have to say, her videos have helped me get over my squeamishness for some gross stuff. 

• Love 3
On 8/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I watched this show the first time last night. She reminds me of Dr Kylie from MadTV:

So, people from all over the country come to her instead of going to a closer dermatologist?

I love Dr. Kylie!!!!!  Her bedside manner was pretty ditzy, but in the end she knew her stuff!  

• Love 1
On 8/8/2018 at 11:01 PM, PityFree said:

DIY-guy is an arrogant ass.  In what universe would highly trained, highly skilled Dr. Lee ever consider him a peer??

I only just caught up on this episode and yes, what a douchebag.  I kind of wish he had removed all of his lipomas so he could have deep, pock-marked scars all over, hit a major blood vessel and bleed out, and/or develop a serious infection. He said he wouldn't do it again but we all know that's bullshit.  

On 8/9/2018 at 3:03 PM, pagooey said:

(Also, I'm fully committed to going to hell anyway, so: maybe she could use a consult on those nostrils while we're at it? I thought I glimpsed her brain up there.)

Holy shit, you could see Russia up those massive nostrils.  If she could pay for a shitty nose job, why not have the plastic surgeon remove the cyst?  I got the feeling that none of these people had a family tree with a whole lot of branches and her fiance was flat out creepy. 

• Love 3

I just wondered why Third Breast Woman couldn't just wear clothes with sleeves.  Like, she couldn't get married because she has to wear a strapless bride's dress?  You have got to be kidding me.  I wouldn't have married that creepster with the two creepy parents under any circumstance, but using the inability to buy a stupid dress as an excuse is...lame.  And I fail to see how having a lump on your upper back/neck makes it impossible for you to get up and get a fork.  Big Mama has a much more patient and loving son than she deserves.  That being said, that was a quick and easy resolution and now maybe Sonny-Boy can live his own life.

• Love 4

Well, I got the answer to the question about why Dr. Lee is removing those large lipomas in her office with just a local anesthesia. I saw my dermatologist about my large lipoma. She said I had to have a CAT scan first to see how involved it is, how deep it goes and whether it has entangled nerve or tendon structures. If it is shallow and not involving that other stuff, it can be done in her office under local. If more complicated, off to general surgery I go. So that makes me wonder if her large-lipoma patients have a CAT scan done before she agrees to film them. I know she stopped removing that one named Tim on the woman's shoulder when she realized it was wrapped around nerves, so maybe she just digs in and stops if she sees it getting involved.

I really hesitate to make fun of people's appearance, but, with the lady who was upset about the looks of that mini boob.....hard to believe THAT is what bothered her.  Sorry, I just think that tattoos are bettered covered, when wearing a wedding gown. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I really hesitate to make fun of people's appearance, but, with the lady who was upset about the looks of that mini boob.....hard to believe THAT is what bothered her.  Sorry, I just think that tattoos are bettered covered, when wearing a wedding gown. 

I totally agree!  A tacky strapless wedding gown is completely OUT of the question when there's a small bump near the armpit, but let's SHOW OFF those gross disgusting tattoos!

• Love 5
On 8/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, Galloway Cave said:

Well, I got the answer to the question about why Dr. Lee is removing those large lipomas in her office with just a local anesthesia. I saw my dermatologist about my large lipoma. She said I had to have a CAT scan first to see how involved it is, how deep it goes and whether it has entangled nerve or tendon structures. If it is shallow and not involving that other stuff, it can be done in her office under local. If more complicated, off to general surgery I go. So that makes me wonder if her large-lipoma patients have a CAT scan done before she agrees to film them. I know she stopped removing that one named Tim on the woman's shoulder when she realized it was wrapped around nerves, so maybe she just digs in and stops if she sees it getting involved.

I’ve thought since the beginning that all of these patients have prior consultations with her and CAT scans/x-rays before they start filming.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I totally agree!  A tacky strapless wedding gown is completely OUT of the question when there's a small bump near the armpit, but let's SHOW OFF those gross disgusting tattoos!

So true. I realize that I'm biased against most tattoos, but, even if they are tasteful and attractive......standing out in a strapless  wedding gown is just so bizarre to me. 

I just watched the episode with the lady and her brother who had bumps over most of their body.  OMG, that made me so grateful for my health.  I wish they both could be helped to a significant degree.  

• Love 3
On 8/9/2018 at 3:03 PM, pagooey said:

I thought Armpit Tit Bride might have been waiting to schedule her wedding until her fiance graduated high school, because he looked like one of her passel of kids.  (Also, I'm fully committed to going to hell anyway, so: maybe she could use a consult on those nostrils while we're at it? I thought I glimpsed her brain up there.)

Who else fantasized about her showing up on Say Yes to the Dress?  (And I mean post-surgery.)

On 8/12/2018 at 8:39 PM, Red Bridey said:

Thanks for saying this.  (you and Sunny BeBe).  You see this all the time in the Say Yes To The Dress shows.  Tattoos and wedding dresses do not go together no matter how hard the people on the programs try to pretend that they do.  Does Dr. Lee perform tattoo removal?   I think that many dermatologists will be able to retire on the proceeds of that service going forward.

• Love 4

Why does Dr. Lee think you are born already a toddler? I was confused at why she kept saying you aren’t born with a lipoma when the girl clearly told her she got it when she was a toddler. 

And for such an important decision, she wouldn’t be told to think it over and call back when she made up her mind? Kind of weird to just leave the room while she made the decision. It was like there was pressure to get the filming done that day. 

Why would earlobe woman go to Dr Lee instead of a certified plastic surgeon? The lobes came out nicely, but a dermatologist would not be my first choice to do that. 

4 hours ago, PityFree said:

I have seen way too much butt crack in tonight’s episode.  I did not need to see that much of it.

LOL, me too, that was more than enough for me. I was curious about where her mother was, they kept showing the father, but when she was on the phone with him, he said "your mother & I", so she's around. Maybe she just didn't want to be on television.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Why would earlobe woman go to Dr Lee instead of a certified plastic surgeon? The lobes came out nicely, but a dermatologist would not be my first choice to do that. 

Because Dr. Lee would do it for free as part of the show, and it probably wouldn't be covered by insurance at a regular plastic surgeon. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Rickster said:

Because Dr. Lee would do it for free as part of the show, and it probably wouldn't be covered by insurance at a regular plastic surgeon. 

And - according to Wikipedia - "Lee is a board certified dermatologist and a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, and the American Society for Mohs Surgery."

She is more than qualified to fix earlobes.

• Love 4

I actually saw some earlobes in a similar condition get repaired on Botched. (show on E) I think it was Dr. Nassif (Board Certified Plastic Surgeon) who did it.  It seems to me that he had a different technique, but, the end result looked the same. I'm glad the lady had success.  I can see why that look was quite disturbing for her. 

Last episode of the season -- bummer!

Butt crack lipoma that turned out to be a very serious condition was interesting. I really wanted Dr. Lee to give us the dirt on the previous surgery. Had that doctor really operated without knowing that the pouch of fat was connected to her spine? Yikes.

I thought Dr. Lee was going to say it was caused by spina bifida. I looked it up and tethered cord syndrome can be related to that so am counting it as a win. No need for me to go before the TV watchers medical license board!

With the side boob man, Dr. Lee was working about two inches above his belt and pants, which seems like it's not the best sterile surgical field. (Especially with Aloha Guy who I assume lives off the grid and only showers when it rains. Kidding. Mostly.) Dr. Lee is extremely qualified and I'm sure follows best practices, but the show has revealed to me that I'm a traditionalist when it comes to surgical gowns.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3

I've finally seen one that made me turn away--the ear lobe one.  I had to ff through it.
From seeing some Body Bizarre shows, I'd thought the tail might be a vestigial twin, that never detached and grew, and was surprised it was the most serious thing of the whole season.

The one thing that concerns me about the girl with the spinal growth is that since you can't remove all of it, there's a chance it could grow again.

"Side Boob" made me laugh, that was the name of Caputo's club band in Orange is the New Black.

Sorry to see this is the last episode for now, I was really getting into this pimple popping palooza!

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Dobian said:

The one thing that concerns me about the girl with the spinal growth is that since you can't remove all of it, there's a chance it could grow again.

"Side Boob" made me laugh, that was the name of Caputo's club band in Orange is the New Black.

Sorry to see this is the last episode for now, I was really getting into this pimple popping palooza!

Was there a promo at the end for a special episode next Wednesday called "This Is Zit"?  Was this just a dream?  Anyone with info please fill us in!

• Love 1
On 8/16/2018 at 11:38 AM, 2727 said:

I thought Dr. Lee was going to say it was caused by spina bifida. I looked it up and tethered cord syndrome can be related to that so am counting it as a win.

I know there's a birthmark at the base of the spine, that's a sign of spina bifida.

23 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Was there a promo at the end for a special episode next Wednesday called "This Is Zit"?  Was this just a dream?  Anyone with info please fill us in!

Yes, it's on my DVR schedule. I thought I saw someone post that it was renewed for a new season.
http://forums.previously.tv/topic/65272-all-episodes-talk-open-your-pores/?do=findComment&comment=4586513

Edited by auntjess
2 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

YouTube! Hundreds of Dr. Lee videos! You will go down a rabbit hole from which you will never emerge....

Rabbit hole is right. I'm still waiting for someone here to guess what area Dr Lee is squeezing on some quite brown skin.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

YouTube! Hundreds of Dr. Lee videos! You will go down a rabbit hole from which you will never emerge....

Mercy me. I was watching Dr. Lee and her fellow You Tube derms like a normal person when the sidebar of related videos drew me to ... animals with cycts. Large animals. Horses and cows and gallons of pus.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, Ubiquitous said:

So, people from all over the country come to her instead of going to a closer dermatologist?

She does it free for agreeing to be filmed, from what I've read. 
And insurance, if you have it, won't cover things not medically necessary.

• Love 1

On Wednesday 8/22 at 10:00 PM US West Coast (you'll need to check for your locale), TLC is showing Dr. Pimple Popper "This is Zit":

Dr. Pimple Popper demonstrates her favorite types of pops and changes the lives of patients in desperate need of a good pop.

More popping for watching!

• Love 2
On 8/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, rhys said:

Rabbit hole is right. I'm still waiting for someone here to guess what area Dr Lee is squeezing on some quite brown skin.

I think I know what you are talking about. She uses serrated-blade scissors on him and it is gruesome. I feel like I could've done a cleaner job.

Does anyone know what kind of eyebrow treatment Dr. Lee has on herself?  They look really high and not very natural.  And they're rather thin.  I can't tell if they are painted or are tattoos? Anyone know? Just curious. 

I hope in future episodes we get more...well, pimples and popping.  So much of these episodes felt like 'Let's carve out this lipoma' or something not in the job description (varicose veins, or that earlobe thing from last week's episode). I was kind of bored, especially with the last  episode.  Are there no ginormous cysts needing to be busted left in the world?

• Love 2

Varicose veins were boring, and she needed Stacey & Clinton more than Dr. Lee.
I mentioned before, that the ear lobes grossed me out, and I didn't watch.  
Lipomas are OK, but cysts are the best.  I don't need quite so much background, either.

1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Varicose veins were boring, and she needed Stacey & Clinton more than Dr. Lee.
I mentioned before, that the ear lobes grossed me out, and I didn't watch.  
Lipomas are OK, but cysts are the best.  I don't need quite so much background, either.

I'm a cyst fan myself.  Lipomas are so boring.  And TV watchers MUST be introduced to dilated Pores of Winer at some point, or it's just cruel of Dr. Lee.

The blackhead that surprised me was the one that sounded like a pebble when she dropped it into the kidney bowl "kerplunk!" Crikey, how do you walk around with a blackhead like that? Maybe it was a DPOW but still.

• Love 2

What's odd about Dr. Lee's You Tube videos is how many downvotes they get. Yeah, it's gross to people who find that sort of thing gross. But shouldn't the video titles and images have clued them in? The downvote culture is bizarre to me.

On a different philosophical note, I wonder if Dr. Lee fully realizes how reality TV can dick people over. The producers obviously want it to seem like these patients walk in, chat/cry about their lump and the negative impact it has on their lives, then immediately have surgery. Dr. Lee reiterates to the patient that she's never certain what a lump is until she cuts into it.

Meanwhile in actuality, the patients have seen Dr. Lee or someone else in her practice and discussed all possible options and  outcomes. They very likely have had an ultrasound, CT scan, needle biopsy, or other diagnostic test, especially for the huge lumps and ones near critical nerves and organs. Dr. Lee has that information before she puts scalpel to skin.

The show is deliberately giving the wrong impression about what the reality is for these procedures and Dr. Lee plays along. I just hope it's not to her detriment as far as her reputation in the medical community. (Although the snobbier ones probably already think less of her because of her You Tube channel.)

• Love 3

You raise a good point 2727. She should do a question-and-answer show where she talks about how she preps for the appointments and what precautions she takes, just in general.  She should also explain little bit more about her background and her training in plastic surgery as well as dermatology.

• Love 1

Yes that would really help. I want to hear her tell the patient "you are going to be really sore in this area for X days and this is how you care for the incision..."

I dunno , it's just not clinical enough for me. We don't need to hear it for everyone, but I'd rather hear that once in a while than "make sure I'm not hurting you" a billion times each episode.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:28 PM, rhys said:

Yes that would really help. I want to hear her tell the patient "you are going to be really sore in this area for X days and this is how you care for the incision..."

I dunno , it's just not clinical enough for me. We don't need to hear it for everyone, but I'd rather hear that once in a while than "make sure I'm not hurting you" a billion times each episode.

You and Pity Free make good points.  I would love it if Dr. Lee would have more educational type dialogues about the skin conditions she is treating.  Take something like Acne which has plagued most of us at some point.  Seems like a good place to start.  Show us examples and updates on the treatments.  A total revamp of the show format would improve its respectability to the naysayers.  Drop about 75% of the patient personal drama and focus more on the conditions and treatments.  Are y'all with me here?  

• Love 5

I saw that she was going to be on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight, 8/26, (a repeat I think), so I'v got it set to record.
Correction: tomorrow, Monday, night, 8/27.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

From Vulture: The 11 Big Winners of Summer TV

"A reality show about a dermatologist who specializes in zit extractions? It sounds like an SNL sketch gone wrong, but it’s no joke in the ratings. TLC’s reality series about YouTube sensation Dr. Sandra Lee exploded in popularity over the course of its debut season’s six-week run, so much so that its August 15 finale managed to beat new episodes of unscripted stalwarts such as Bravo’s Real Housewives of New York City and HGTV’s Property Brothers, while also outdrawing expensive scripted shows such as Suits, The Sinner, and Queen Sugar. Plus, Pimple Popper’s popularity seems to be spreading more quickly than a 16-year-old’s blackhead infestation: The 2.8 million people who watched the finale was way up from the July premiere (2.4 million) and more than double what a January one-off special drew (1.2 million viewers, including DVR replays). Unsurprisingly, TLC has announced plans for a second season of the show early in 2019."

• Love 1